Reminder: Harry Potter Event Today in Belfast, Ireland

122

Nov 10, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Previously we told you that actress Natalia Tena (Tonks) would be taking part in a Harry Potter event in Belfast, Ireland. That event is today, and joining Natalia at this same event will be Harry Potter actors Chris Rankin who plays Percy Weasley, and Jamie Yeates who played the nasty Slytherin Quidditch player Marcus Flint. The BBC has a preview article online regarding this event, and notes that also in attendence will be actor Paul Marc Davis who “payed Lord Draben, one of Hogwarts resident ghosts, in The Philosopher’s Stone.” We do not know if this now confirmed canon from JKR or perhaps simply a WB creation, but it is interesting to hear this name as one of the ghosts. You can read more about this event, here. If anyone is attending the event in Belfast today, please send in your reports!

24 Responses to Reminder: Harry Potter Event Today in Belfast, Ireland

1st comment!!! im so going

Bah, I’m in cork!!!

Avatar Image says:

Making a post just to say you made the first post is a little annoying.

But anyway, it sounds cool. Wish I could go…

Avatar Image says:

@kira-kira: I wouldn’t necessarily call emma’s comment “annoying”...a little too excited , but not annoying! I’m happy for emma, as she can “go for me”...I’m, (again) “across the pond” and won’t be able to go. Have a great time,emma! I expect to see some photos or a report *)

Lord Draben… interesting…

Wish I could go! Natalia Tena looks like a really interesting person to meet.

Avatar Image says:

Actually, Belfast is in Northern Ireland, not Ireland.

Avatar Image says:

I’m way jealous of the people going today. I, too, am across the pond… though I was in Belfast in April. Have fun!

Confederate Lady-

Oh, I didn’t mean that as a slight against emma…And I suppose it wasn’t annoying, no. But I’m used to it on Mugglenet, when people literally write “1st” and that’s their only comment. I was a bit annoyed with that before I came on here, so I’m sorry if I sounded mean, emma.

Avatar Image says:

Your right in saying that Belfast is in the United Kingdom controlled Northern Ireland, but it is on the Island of Ireland so it still counts.

Avatar Image says:

I meant to add that Nat did a fantastic job with the studio tour on the OotP DVD which was released here in Ireland yesterday.

Avatar Image says:

Wish I could go… I’ve made an HP scrapbook of all the Harry Potter events I’ve gone to… some include the midnight party, the night bus tour, and best of all meeting Jo in NY for the Open Book Tour!! I also put in some other stuff like seeing the giant HP creatures @ FAO Schwartz!! I want the life size buckbeak… too bad he’s like 600 dollars!!

Avatar Image says:

who the heck is Lord Draben? first time I heard about him.

could not find him at the Lexicon

Avatar Image says:

Shouldn’t Evanna Lynch be able to go too then?

Chris Rankin and Jamie Yeates are such good guys going to all these events, good on Natalia Tena as well.

Avatar Image says:

You can’t be certain, but the reason that Evanna is not going is probably because it is in the North and not the south. I find this unfortunate, since there have been very big steps towards unification of the Island recently, but the reason that she did not go is probably either she does not feel welcome in the North, her parents are afraid that harm will come to her if she goes there and have prevented it or she was not invited. They may come out with a PR statement that states other wise, but I would be dropped dead shocked if one of those reasons were not the real one.

John B.

Avatar Image says:

In response to John b’s comments about why Evanna isn’t going I would like to say that I know the guy who organised this event and also alot of poeple who are going to work at it and i can say with 100% certainty that Evanna not being there is nothing to do with her or her parents not feeling safe enough to go!!

I’m not 100% sure if she was even invited as being on of the more popular, and important (for want of a better word) characters in the story her fees are likely higher, and the more you have to pay for people the more you have to charge and keeping costs down is an issue.

What people must also remember is that Evanna is still only 16, and that age, or school, may be an issue.

(or of course the fact that filming for half blood prince has started and she could be involved with that!!)

I may not know the full reason, but i can say with enough certainty (i’d place my life on it) that it was not for fear of not being welcomed, or for any sercurtiy reason!!

Avatar Image says:

To JohnB: No offence, but it sounds like you know very little about the situation here! There is really NO problem with people from the ROI going to the North or vice versa whether they’re famous or not.

The overwhelming majority of people, North and South have spent time on the other side of the border and would be perfectly happy to do so again. It is perfectly normal for people from one part of the island to live/work/attend college in the other part without giving the situation much thought. It’s just not an issue.

I would think Jay’s idea that perhaps Evanna’s fees are too high or even more likely that she’s busy with school/filming is a much more plausible explanation!

Avatar Image says:

I live in Belfast but didn’t know about this event, grr!!! Aye, should ave went :(

Avatar Image says:

@kira-kira: Oh THAT’S what they do, over there! LOL I could never figure it out. Yep, THAT could (and probably does) get annoying, after a while. She’s still gotta send “us” pictures and a “report”, right, emma!? giggling X)

Avatar Image says:

@jay: I think you have the right of it, kiddo. My sister was ‘on set’, at the age of 10,for CBS. If Evvana is working…..also, the “age/school factor” might be another point. Isn’t she the youngest of the cast, at this point? @johnB….I don’t think there’s anything “political” or security wise going on. JMHO

I went!

Natalia Tena didn’t show as she was caught up in filming for the half-blood prince but it was a good day anyway. Also I won Chris Rankin and Jamie Yeates in a charity auction (for an obscene amount of money) and got to have lunch with them which was really really cool.

Can I just say as well as a person who has lived in Northern Ireland their entire life and through some of the worst of the troubles, if you don’t understand the situation please don’t try to explain it. It gets really annoying. There hasn’t been a problem about going between the north and the south for a very VERY long time.

Avatar Image says:

Just typical I had to be away from Belfast for the weekend when this was on.

I couldn’t help checking out the comments here to see how long it would take for someone to bring up Belfast being referred to as being simply in Ireland. Not long, obviously.

JOHN B, I think i speak for all Irish people here:

HAVE YOU EVER ACTUALLY VISITED THIS COUNTRY??

your knowledge is extremely limited!!

Avatar Image says:

... not to mention quite ridiculous!

Avatar Image says:

John B, what school did you go to? There have been steps toward the unification of ‘Island’, have there? Lol.

Little geography lesson for you: There’s Northern

Ireland (capital Belfast) which is part of the UK, and then there is the Republic of Ireland (capital Dublin) which is NOT part of the UK. There are NO steps to unify these countries, just steps to maintain piece in the Northern Irish provinces among Nationalists and Unionists.

Do some internet research and clue yourself up.

Write a Reply or Comment