Trio Talks “Half-Blood Prince” Movie; Name of Lavender Brown Actress Revealed

112

Nov 12, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

CBBC Newsround has posted a new interview conducted with the Trio of Dan Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson where they discuss filming on the upcoming “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.” In this new interview (video at the above link as well), actor Rupert Grint talks about his scenes as Ron Weasley and the actress who will play his new love interest (Lavender Brown) in the sixth Harry Potter film. Rupert says:

“I was involved with the Lavender Brown audition and the whole Lavender thing. Her name’s Jessie and she is really cool and it’s going to be really funny.”

Emma: “She seems really sweet and perfect for the role of Lavender. The casting is so good and I am looking forward to her scenes with Ron. I think it’s going to be quite a comic film.”

We do not yet know the full name of the actress who will play Lavender Brown, and we will update with more when we can. Actor Dan Radcliffe continues on in the interview and mentions the filming for the movie, where he worked with the new actor who is playing the new Professor in the film.

“It’s going very well. So far we’ve been doing a lot of work with Slughorn, who is being played brilliantly by Jim Broadbent.”

UPDATE: On a related note, BBC is also running another article, focusing yet again on the actors and their reactions to the revelation that the character of Dumbledore is gay. “Radcliffe told BBC News: “JK Rowling is an incredibly intelligent woman. She can’t have thought for a moment that that would go down well in the Bible Belt of America, but she put it brilliantly herself: ‘He’s my character – I can do what I want with him.’ Which I think is fair enough.”

David Yates, who directed the fifth Harry Potter film – Order of the Phoenix – said he was told in September by JK Rowling during a read-through for the next film on the set of the Great Hall at Hogwarts.Jo leaned over to me and said: ‘You know Dumbledore’s gay don’t you, David?’ And I thought ‘Wow that’s pretty cool’.” Yates, who was speaking at the press launch of the Phoenix DVD, added: “He’s a wonderful character, Dumbledore – graceful, wise, powerful, quirky, terrific sense of humour, loves knitting. There’s a jumble of things in there and his sexuality is just another thing.” ….

“Michael Gambon hasn’t changed his approach. A person’s sexuality is just one part of who they are, and so it hasn’t really shifted where we’re taking him.”

Thanks to NimbusXL and Newsround!

74 Responses to Trio Talks “Half-Blood Prince” Movie; Name of Lavender Brown Actress Revealed

Avatar Image says:

OMG!! Yay!! Finally were getting news!! Lets hope we get to see Jessie soon!!!

Avatar Image says:

yeah please, let me see her :D

Avatar Image says:

Why are they making this whole Lav-Lav issue so tantalizing? Like they’re giving her to us in small pieces, a piece after a piece! They should just get out with whole thing alread!

Avatar Image says:

Yay yay yay!! At least we know SOMETHING about her!! ^^ But I agree with Cinderella. They are giving us information in small pieces!! What I’m dying to know is if she’s blonde or if she’s a brunette XD

Avatar Image says:

sighs I’m going to pretend that it’s me until we get a full name…

Avatar Image says:

I hope this girl is better treated than Helen McCrory has been the last few days.

Avatar Image says:

haha that was a funny video clip lizo is such a dork

Avatar Image says:

OH hahahaha how hilarious Emma, Dumbledore dying and the Tom Riddle’s dark past is. Or maybe it’s the movie people making this into some sappy teen movie that revolves mainly around Ron/Lav, Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny. I’m getting very worried. Comic film? I cannot believe it. I will not believe it. They HAVE GOT to stop trying to find a selling point from humor… we’ve known from previous films that the funniest line ever was, “I love magic.”

I’m glad we know the name though…. as a R/Hr shipper, this is certainly good news.

yaaaay! goodluck to her!

Avatar Image says:

I guess interviewing is not enough for Lizo anymore. Everybody wants to get in on the act, sigh…..........

Not one of the better interviews the kids have had to do, all in all. About on a level with the talking heads in Azkaban.

Avatar Image says:

Jim Broadbent as Sluggers…..

mmmm. I would prefer Bob Hoskins but this actor fits the picture also, put a walross moustace on it and he is Sluggers.

Must be the first time I am not up into the rafters because of a actors choice

but what the heck, only in the cinema you can make a final decision if you liked it or not.

Avatar Image says:

lol. In your own time, WB.

Avatar Image says:

man! i wanted to get that part! too bad i couldnt audition…. i’m not a UK/US citizen :( saddddddd oh well, my love for rupert will never end.

Avatar Image says:

It’s not a PR decision to tantalize fans. There is no reason to keep this casting secret. The problem is this online cult of ripping the films to shreds without knowing anything about them. Even at leaky, official posts still contain terms like “canon Ron!” which are totally meaningless.

Someone smart at WB has realized: any pre-release publicity is bad publicity. So we’re hearing a lot less than we used to.

And because so much online criticism is just a reflex action, we are going to be stuck with people like David Yates who say things that Harry Potter fans like to hear, but who don’t have any idea how to direct action and special effects.

Avatar Image says:

Also, what on earth is Lizo doing? No, really??

Avatar Image says:

A STAR ALREADY!!!! lUCK,YEAH,LUCKY “Jessie”! WAITING TO SEE AND KNOW MORE ABOUT-lAVENDER BROWN

Avatar Image says:

I have been watching the films over the weekend in readiness for the new DVD, (arrived about an hour ago) In the first film there was a very pretty girl walking beside Hermione as they were going to be sorted into their House, Hermione was telling her about the enchanted ceiling. I have always thought she was Lavender, but never saw her again. She was standing next to Hermione at the sorting. Does anyone know who she is?

Avatar Image says:

“haha that was a funny video clip lizo is such a dork”

I watched it this morning. He’s hysterical. You can tell Emma was peeing herself laughing.

Avatar Image says:

I think the suspense is great! But I do wish they would show a picture of her already!!!! lol… Im interested in the Ron/Lavender scenes because the whole situation is a comic relief to all the horrible things that go on but I really want to see how they handle the Harry/Ginny situation. I hope they do it justice and I hope Harry can really portray the jealous “beast” scenes!!! I love those lines in the book!!!

Avatar Image says:

We demand pictures. And I always pictured Lavender as annoying so I figure an annoying voice would help.

The funniest moment in Harry Potter won’t be in the HBP movie and is not in any of the previous ones. It’ll be in DH with the Seven Potters. Remember that they all change into Harry with polyjuice potion and they all start undressing and, well… Hermione SHOULD be wearing a bra, wouldn’t she? So I picture Daniel Radcliffe, acting with girlish mannerisms and talking with Emma Watson’s voice as he takes off his/her t-shirt and he happens to have a bra underneath.

I will cackle so hard at that his glasses will shatter.

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only one who is disturbed at how light they are making the film seem? I love Yates’ work on OoTP but I wanted him to carry that tone into HBP but it doesn’t seem like he did. This looks like a really light, happy movie.

Avatar Image says:

El caz said: “So I picture Daniel Radcliffe, acting with girlish mannerisms and talking with Emma Watson’s voice as he takes off his/her t-shirt and he happens to have a bra underneath.

I will cackle so hard at that his glasses will shatter.” Ha, ha. That will be hilarious (if they keep it in. You never know). What will be even more funny is Harry wearing a bra as Fleur giving himself as Bill this look Harry hoped he will never see on his face again. LoL.

About Lavender: yes I am curious as to how she looks and as I said previously, I hope people will go easy on her. If she really has no acting experience as the WB wanted, to be in the midst of all of this HP crazyness must be very intimidating for her.

And I don´t yet worry that they make the movie too light. I guess they use the Ron/Lav/Herm triangle as a kind of comic relief amidst all the very dark stuff with Voldemort´s past and Horcruxes and Dumbledore dying. I figure they will treat Harry/Ginny more serious because that is the real thing after all.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, but is it too late to ask a question about Dumbledore’s sexual orientation? I wanted to ask this earlier but couldn’t seem to get it posted. First, I totally get that JKR can, and has, made Dumbledore gay because that’s how she wanted to create him. But it took me by surprise, because early in the first book Dumbledore says (in response to praise from Professor McGonagall) “It’s lucky it’s dark. I’ve haven’t blushed so much since Madame Pomfrey told me she like my new earmuffs.” To me, that sounded like a staight (albeit eccentric) man’s statement. I’d love to hear what others think about it.

sorry – “liked”

linden swallow,

hunny I think you can find a thread on that subject in the lounge. I for one am exhausted talking about DDs sexual orientation and will not talk about it again on a comment board especially one that has nothing to do with the subject. Im sure you can find someone on the lounge to answer all your questions.

Go WON WON!!!!! lol… :)

Avatar Image says:

I bet Jessie likes sweets.

Avatar Image says:

No! Emma’s hair is ridiculously blonde. It just gets blonder every film – nobody’s hair does that!

Avatar Image says:

Emma doesn’t start filming until next month. There’s still hope.

(Oh and I do hope this poor girl escapes the fangirl backlash that Katie Leung got… that stuff was pretty awful. Hopefully this Jessie girl knows not to go on HP fansites.)

Avatar Image says:

Jessie Cave. She’ll be good.

Avatar Image says:

Why, Amy S? Sure, Lavender seems to be a ‘girly’ girl, maybe a bit shallow (but we don´t know enough really) and prone to gossip, but there is worse. Apart from that, we don´t even know how she looks like. No one´s ever commented whether she is pretty-pretty or anything like that. What we do know is that she can´t be stupid, she takes NEWT level Transfiguration in sixth year after all and we know from McGonagall that at least an ‘E’ is required. She is a member of the DA and she defends Hogwarts from Voldemort in DH. She seems to be a decent person, she just fell in love with the wrong boy. :)

Avatar Image says:

Yay!!!!!! I hope we will get to see her soon.

Avatar Image says:

LOL I’m not trying to say there isn’t more to Lavender! Of course there is! But I highly doubt we’re going to see any of Lavender’s better traits in this film. I was just making a joke about the fact that in this film, Lavender is undoubtedly going to be portrayed as just a shallow, clingy girlfriend, and I’d rather not be called “perfect” for that role ;) But like I say, it was a joke!

Avatar Image says:

‘And LOL if someone told me I was “perfect for Lavander Brown” I’d be so insulted!!! :P’

I thought just the same, Amy S!! XD I would be careful if I said that ‘compliment’ to somebody.

Avatar Image says:

Ah, yes, Amy S. You are certainly right. They will likely use Won-Won/Lav-Lav for comic relief only. LoL

Avatar Image says:

all I have to say to this Jessie girl is I’M GOING TO BE YOUR FAN, YOU GET TO MAKE OUT WITH RUPERT GRINT OMG!!!! LUCKY LUCKY JESSIE, I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE HER PICTURE!!!! I HOPE SHE WILL BE GORGEOUS!!!! and I agree that did’t sound like a compliment, I mean Lavender is described in the books like this shallow, annoying girl.

Avatar Image says:

oh god I really really really really want to see a picture of her. Why are they doing this to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????...oh well…......we will probably se her very soon!!! _

Avatar Image says:

Congrats to Jessie! Good for her!

As for the update from BBC, anyone else terrified by the statement “Producer David Barron confirmed that Dumbledore would remain “the character Michael Gambon has already established”.”?

“a perfect Lavender”

Yeah, it was just something about the way Emma said it. She was so stiff about it.

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear Sassette. That is very true. Richard Harris will always be the true Dumbledore though. :) Gambon hasn’t read the books so it’s no surprise he doesn’t really understand how to do the character properly.

Sassette

I agree that i’m alittle concerned about that statement made by David Barron as well. I just dont think Gambon understands DD’s character! He was horrible in GOF (grabing Harry! DD would never put his hands on his students like that!) and in OOTP he was not compationate and worried like DD was in the book. I understand that they have to cut things out from the book, so on and so forth but they should still portray the characters as they are in the books. I hope Jessie will portray Lavender correctly.

I cant wait to see her picture but I really cant wait for a photo of the chain he gets for a Christmas Gift!!! lol… I know Ruperts reaction to it is going to be “PRICELESS”!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

This is excellent news and all, but has anyone heard about the Half Blood Prince featurette on the Order of the Phoenix DVD?

Avatar Image says:

Bez, are you talking about the girl with red hair? That’s Chris Columbus’ daughter, who plays Susan Bones.

Avatar Image says:

This has been the most exciting thing i’ve heard today. I want a full name and pictures as soon as soon as possible please!

Avatar Image says:

Don’t you start on Gambon, he’s doing a great job. You think Harris did read the books? Okay, he sucked in goblet (thanks to mike newell), but he did more than well in POA en OOTP. You think he wasn’t concerned enough? He was in the end. Ofcoarse he would ignore harry the rest of the film, it was like that in the book. And another thing, why do people complain about the tight-up beard. It was in his desciption in the first book. I adore gambon, he really funny and not as boring and cliché as Harris was.

“Remain ‘the character Michael Gambon has already established’ ” ??? .... :S

Alright. I like Gambon. Way more than Harris. Don’t bash me. BUT come on! I do know it’s not his fault, but the filmmakers (all of them: writer, director, producer, actor…) must realize how wrong this is and change it! Dumbeldore DOESN’T yell. He DOESN’T shout angrily at students, whether it be at Harry in GoF or at students in general in OotP. I thought he was near perfect in PoA, I do. But Come ON! Couldn’t they give him beautiful purple slender robes, rather than this gray thing and flat hat that make him look ugly and fat? I’m pretty sure Dumbledore doesn’t wear the same goddamn set of robes every single day, during three years in a row. Arrrrgh.

Whatever. This resumes what I have to say: http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs13/f/2007/080/f/6/Comic_Book_vs_Movie_Dumbledore_by_kellywormtongue.jpg :P

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t know Dan had already filmed scenes with Jim Broadbent, that’s fantastic! Maybe that’s one of the scenes included in OotP DVD.

Yesterday I watched My Boy Jack, Dan’s new movie, and he was great, not only with the dramatic scenes, he was also so wonderful doing comedy scenes. So it made me think I hope they give Harry more comedy scenes in HBP, maybe scenes with Slughorn, now we are talking about him. Dan and Jim doing a funny scene would be fantastic!!

About DD, I think the problem in GoF was not Gambon, it was the direction. He was better in OotP. The problem is there is not much time to show all about DD’s personality like it is showed in the books.

Avatar Image says:

It’s gonna be eird. JK never described what she looked like, so I don’t know what to expect…

Avatar Image says:

It was GREAT! I agree! It was really sad and I cried at the end though. I can’t wait ‘till next year when HBP comes to the cinema!

Avatar Image says:

Well if it is Jessie Cave, as someone mentioned above, then it is this girl. There’s a picture here: http://ajmanagement.co.uk/clientDetail.asp?intClientID=267

Avatar Image says:

I thought you had to be between 15-17 to try out for lavender. jessie cave is 20. btw the half blood prince clips work now. one shows the new quidditch uniforms, and the other shows the orphanage.

Avatar Image says:

Well put Germain. It doesn’t matter whose fault it is, the fact of the matter is simply that Dumbledore’s charazation in the last couple of films has been all wrong and SOMEONE should have noticed by this point, and fixed it. When you consider the amount of people who have influential jobs in the making of these films it is absolutely mind-boggling that no one seems to realize that Dumbledore does not yell, attempt to strangle his students etc. I was hoping that maybe this time around things might be different but now David Barron is quoted as saying that Dumbledore will be exactly the same as always and that really is distressing. Sigh.

But anyway :) Well I don’t know where that original commenter got Jessie Cave’s name from, but after looking at the link Gigi provided I think she’d look the part and makes sense… hope we get confirmation soon.

Avatar Image says:

“Cave” was the name that PA from the set gave to be her last name.

Looking at that picture, it definitely looks like it’s going to be her. She’s the perfect height too 5’5, the height that all the finale 10 girls at the audition were.

yes! we got Lav-lav!

Avatar Image says:

Germain, that comic you linked is classic. I wish somebody would send that to Gambon and anyone else who could make a difference. That comic sums it up so perfectly. People who’ve never read the books would have no clue as to what Dumbledore is actually like. In the movies he comes off as just another schmuck, whereas in the books he’s the man (albeit more ambiguous by the end of things).

Avatar Image says:

”...quite a comic film.” That worries me. It really shouldn’t be comic, because this is the book with Dumbledore’s death, with the introduction to Horcruxes, with Harry maturing even more and realizing what he really needs to do. And if they take it and try to make it too humorous…I think I would be really disappointed. After all, HBP is a kind of springboard for Deathly Hallows, and if they get it wrong, DH can’t be as good. Still, I’m fine if the Lav-Lav/Won-Won scenes are funny, because I burst into laughter while reading those parts in the book.

Avatar Image says:

Maybe WB saw all the rude comments about Helen McCory and are holding back on given us details on Lavender.

Avatar Image says:

those pics of jessie cave… looking quite luna-ish with the hair colour and funny ribbons!

if that’s her, she looks fine, though. :)

Avatar Image says:

so… this is basically what i have been waiting for my entire hp life. i want her to have thin straight blonde hair (opposite hermione, but not necessarily emma’s.. grr) and be annoying as !@$# right! i really dont this jessie chick being described as “cool” and “funny”.. nooooooooooo. lol. i spose its acting tho.. but… oh my… and WHO WANTS TO SEE THE SNOGGING AUDTIONS WITH RUPERT?! EH?! hehhe. I HOPE HERMY SENDS THE KILLER CANARIES OF DOOM AT RON IN THE MOVIE!!! WOOOO!

Avatar Image says:

linden swallow, Dumbledore was straight in the previous books.It is only in the last book that the author decided to change his sexual orientation. No argument there however. As Dan puts it, the author herwself gave the best explanation for this: ‘He’s my character – I can do what I want with him.’

BTW, I think they really are magnifying that Ron’s first kiss thingy. Dan brings it up in interviews, maybe just to get back at the teasing he got in OotP. But maybe this is why Emma said the HBP film will be comic. It’s the petty flirtings of the cast. I hope that won’t take away from the real emotional scenes of the story though. This is the book where Dumbledore died. The poignancy of that is lost somehow over all the gay talk.

Avatar Image says:

@ Grace Weasley: Really? Like really really? Because I think HBP’s the funniest in the series with DH as the 2nd (the way JKR adds those lines amidst all that darkness is brilliant). HBP was the book I could not stop laughing; it was intense, lol (literally). I mean, granted there’s this whole intensifying gloomy-dark element permeating the story, but c’mon that book is HILARIOUS. A pygmy puff as a tattoo who knows where? U-NO-POO? Dumbledore AND knitting patterns? Mr. Weasley’s dearest ambition? A cauldron full of hot, strong love? Fleur (enough said)? Priceless. Harry’s sarcasm and wittiness was at another level in this one. I could go on and on. Some great quotes: “Who blacked your eye, Granger? I want to send them flowers.” or “Excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?” or “Ron: She laughed at my moustache! Harry: So did I, it was the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.” or “Ron: Only time I’ve ever seen Dad as angry as Mum. Fred reckons his left buttock has never been the same since. Harry: Yeah, well, passing over Fred’s left buttock— Fred: I beg your pardon?” Great stuff.

Avatar Image says:

I feel bad for the actors having to deal with Lizo’s antics. Was supposed to be an interview-correct? I completely agree with Emma Watson about Dumbledore being gay. At first I was taken aback and as soon as I thought about it I realized it makes sense and as usual Jo has built her characters extremely well in all aspects of their lives. I completely co-sign Dumbledore being gay. Side-bar: Dan’s subtle America bashing comments are getting tired, though completely understandable. He’s seen a couple or maybe a few of the US’s huge cities and that’s not really a great picture of what it’s all about.

Avatar Image says:

Bianca – thanks for getting back to me on this now unpopular topic! Yes, JKR said he’s her character to do with as she likes, but she’s planned so many aspects of the series in such detail that, to me, it seems unlike her to make a last-minute change like that. I love her writing, but in the case of “I have blushed this much since …” I’d like an explanation from her of what she was thinking. I do think it’s brilliant that JKR is making Dumbledore respond to McGonagall’s assertion that he has as much power as dark wizards, but is “too noble” to use it. In terms of the whole series, and the idea of “macheavellian Dumbledore,” it’s a fascinating statement.

Avatar Image says:

so is Lavender going to be played by Jessie Cave?

im so excited! this is the HP movie im the most excited abt! coz of the romance. but poor dumbly-dore dying.

xx

Avatar Image says:

Deana, I knew about Chris Columbus daughter, I think her name is Eleanor. This was the girl on the opposite side of Hermione, she has dark straight hair. Perhaps she isn’t the Lavender type I should look on the first DVD to see if Lavender is listed.

Avatar Image says:

There was a black girl cast as Lavender in the first few movies, but I guess they either didn’t think she was pretty enough or no longer believed Lavender was black (?). So the recast her. Isn’t Hollywood great?

Avatar Image says:

I just looked up the site given here to Jessie Cave. She is even one year older than Rupert. But it is said she plays age 16 – 20. So that fit with Lavender. And she is certainly very pretty. I could imagine her playing Lavender. What does disappoint me a bit though (assumed she IS the one) that she already has acting experience. Weren´t the WB look for girls without acting experience? Like Evanna? I found that quite refreshing. But hey. We´ll see.

Oh, Evanna….

“If only Dumbledore was a 100 years younger they would be perfect, and I put that to JK Rowling,” she said.

“But as we know now, that’s never going to happen.”

WE LOVE YOU, EVANNA!!!! :D

Avatar Image says:

Jessie Cave. That’ll be the pics of her then. I wonder what they’ll do to her, to make her “Lavender-y”?

Avatar Image says:

Sooo, when Rupert said “her name’s Jessie,” i just freakin’ melted. Rupert can say Jessie as much as he wants. seriously.

Here you go, the first photo of Jessie Cave