243

Nov 15, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

MTV has now posted online a special feature featuring deleted scenes from the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix DVD, as well as some fantastic behind the scenes footage of the Hall of Prophecy. The clip includes two new interviews with production designer Stuart Craig and OotP director David Yates, and you can see new video of the prophecy globes and more.

Also new are more details about a long hoped for scene, the Pensieve scene focusing on Lily and Snape. David Yates explains why this had to be cut from the movie:

What you won’t find in the DVD’s deleted scenes, however, is a shot that fans thought would have made the film because it explained Snape’s behavior throughout the whole series, a scene referred to as Snape’s worst memory, in which he calls a teenage Lily, Harry’s mom-to-be, a Mudblood. Some of that was in the film, but it stopped short of showing Lily, who turned out to be the love of Snape’s life. “We had a lovely actress play Lily,” Yates said. “And we may bring her back. But by introducing Lily and the Lily/Snape plot, that back story, we complicated it too much. We had to cut it.”

Finally you can see two deleted scenes, including more with a hilarious Professor Trelawney (Emma Thompson) attempting to eat dinner in the great hall during the introduction of Professor Umbridge, here. Enjoy! The Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix DVD will be released on December 11 here in the US.

64 Responses to MTV Feature on “Order of the Phoenix” DVD with More on Snape’s Worst Memory and Hall of Prophecy Footage

Avatar Image says:

First post! Well, i’m certainly not that impressed. All i can say is i certainly hope that WB is planning a “director’s cut” of all 7 films once DH goes to DVD, so we can see alot more of these last 3 films than they put into the finished product. All in the name of making more money because shorter films mean they can run the films more times in the theatre. Totally unnecessary if they’d pay attention to the tremendous box office revenue from the first 5. We’d all go see Potter if they were 4 hours long…

Avatar Image says:

Ha ha, Trelawney certainly managed to make a huge mess of her meal! The feature on the hall of prophecy was very interesting, i was hoping that there would be more on the special effects on the DVD, but i doubt there will be much.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, it complicated the movie too much. I don’t think that’s really a good excuse for why it’s not in the deleted scenes.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with thee above that really wouldnt complicate things we would know who they are so why not put it in its important for the 7th movie! Gee I wonder what there lame excuse is for not putting in the duel between Sirius and Bellatirx!!! Its not like the movie was tremendously long!

Avatar Image says:

That is such a petty excuse. I don’t see how people who haven’t read the book and then watch the movies say they understand everything. It’s quite mind-boggling.

Avatar Image says:

Where is Lily’s scene? There is no link for it.

I can’t watch the video from outside the US :(

Avatar Image says:

I hate it when they with hold deleted scenes from us, especially ones we know they film! They did it with the previous two as well! And yet WB just don’t seem to care when we request that they put as much of them on the disc as possible. The length problem is probably due to the fact that parents keep bringing their annoying little 5 year olds (who are too young to read the book) who get restless and spend most of their time keeping certain people (IE me!!) whilst they swing their legs around! Its annoying and irresponsible to take kids so young to a 12A film…. I bet theres going to be toddlers who will be made to watch a nude Angelina Jolie flaunt herself in Beowulf, also given a 12A.

Avatar Image says:

Oops, that should have been “kicking certain people”

Avatar Image says:

Well, I never much cared for the look of Lily in the picture we saw. I think it was just the Moaning Myrtle-type pig tails, not at all how I pictured Lily, though I know it was just one still. My image is much closer to the Lily they used in the first movies. So, I wasn’t too upset about the scene not being included, though I would think it would be necessary in Deathly Hallows during The Prince’s Tale. Maybe we’ll see it then. But I do agree that Yates was far too concerned about “complicating” things. Sounds like code for wanting to keep it as little over two hours as possible, which is my one big complaint about Yates. Order of the Phoenix was great, but it would have been INCREDIBLE with just a few more minutes to flesh things out a bit. But I know it is sort of like Lord of the Rings, which has all kinds of sub-plots and an incredible number of characters, and I can certainly see how the Harry Potter movies are getting very difficult to write and edit now! At least now that we know the ending, more informed decisions can be made as far as what to cut.

Avatar Image says:

I dont understand why they withhold the extended snape memory from the deleted scenes. I do understand cutting it from the movie. At that point it was not understood how important lilly was, and therefor it was a very random thing in such a fast paced movie (compared with a slower pace of reading a book)

Oh no, they di’int:

“And we may bring her back. But by introducing Lily and the Lily/Snape plot, that back story, we complicated it too much.”

I’m worried they’ll never truly be able to pull everything together in the end. bah.

Avatar Image says:

I’m in the US and I can’t see the video… Any explanation?

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry, but a brief look at Lily in this film would not have hurt anything.

Avatar Image says:

Can any of our UK friends who have the OotP DVD describe briefly (or just list) what deleted scenes are included with the bonus materials?

thanks…here in the colonies we still have just under four weeks to wait! or, for the optimists, just over three weeks to wait…

Avatar Image says:

Let me first say that I am still torn between admiring/disagreeing with David Yates on OotP. While watching the film the first time, I liked it very much. Seeing all the beloved characters, excellent acting by all actors, ( Kreacher was perfect ) the awesome Department of Mystery, 12 Grimmauld Place, the Thestrals ect. makes every Harry Potter fan’s heart beat faster! I agree that it was simply not possible to put every little detail from OotP into one film. We must remember that it was the book with the most pages (UK edition 766 pages! Even though the producer should not forget that the HP fan – and also the occasional movie-goer would not mind to watch a film over three hours long! We have the good example of Lord of the Rings, don’t we? In my opinion Mr.Yates absolutely adores the Potter universe and hearing him talking on video, he has a great understanding for J.K.Rowling, Harry Potter and her fans. I know, to please everybody, is almost impossible, lets be honest!

But I wonder what David Yates meant by: it complicated the movie too much! On the contrary , it would of explained why Snape got so angry and sent Harry from his classroom and refused to give him from then on Occlummency lessons! That scene we get to see, is very lame in my eyes! Especially since we don’t see Harry feel one moment sorry for Snape, who he usually dislikes so much! In the book Harry goes and talks to Sirius and Lupin about this incident. Why would it of been tricky to hear Snape calling Harry’s Mom a “Mudblood”? It would of added to the suspense of Snapes behaviour! Anyway why even bother to film those scenes – when they “complicated the film” too much! I thought they read the script BEFORE they start filming? The only explanation is this; when they filmed OotP the seventh book, DH was not out yet – and the script-writer could not know that Lily Evans Potter was the sole reason for Severus Snape’s motives – leaving Voldemort and the Death Eaters – and turning spy for Albus Dumbledore. So yes, I think it was a great pity to leave those scenes out of the movie!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, the Snape memory extra thing makes me super excited! That was the only thing that I really hated with OotP because I was a hundred percent sure that Snape was going to be in love with Lily!

Avatar Image says:

Felicia, you didn’t get it, did you? What the article said is that there is NOT going to be a Snape memory deleted scene.

When will the producers understand that we don’t care if a deleted scene makes sense with the rest of the film, that we don’t care if it’s not properly edited, that all we want is to see the more we can of what they filmed (because we know they filmed it) that didn’t make it in the final movie. That’s why it’s called deleted scenes. We’re intelligent enough to understand that if it was deleted, there’s a reason behind it. So what if it did complicate the film too much? You don’t have to put it in the filmmm, mate, just in the friggin deleted scenes!

Gosh, It makes me angry. Anyway…

Avatar Image says:

what, did they decide half-way though filming that they were not going to need young Lily and sent the actress home? otherwise, I see no excuse not to put it on the DVD!! grr

Avatar Image says:

“Complicated it too much”?? That’s the story!! I think it’s a rather important bit, too! The scene in the movie was so pitiful. What should’ve been one of the first hints at a different side to Snape was a rushed scene that completely missed the mark. I mean, geez, are they going to cut Snape entirely from the last movie? Or again cut out his memories? “we may bring her back” seems pretty doubtful. With the way these movies are depicting Snape, it may always appear that he was nothing more than a bad guy.

Avatar Image says:

Fool directors I swear. “It complicated things too much”. Good grief. It’s a major plot point in the books. If a major plot point “complicates” the movie too much then something has been done incorrectly. OH wait! Something HAS! Hardly any mention of Snape in the previous films except for brief nasty one liners! He’s been just another nasty piece of background artwork. No flippin’ wonder we get no sense of story from the movies. They’re cool action scenes pasted together, but no story.

And when Deathly Hallows is finally produced on film it will either have to be 8 hours long for anyone to understand any of the reasons that any of those actions scenes happened, or it will bear no resemblance to the story other than having it’s title and characters. The latter has worked for WB since Azkaban, so I’m betting we’ll not see anything other than battle scenes and Harry’s final walk (OH WAIT.. that might be too complicated for us dummies!).

If they bring up those that accompany him on that walk, it would be too “complicated” because no one that hasn’t read the books (and yes, unfortunately, there are a ton of them relying on the movies) will know who the heck those ghosts are!

Just because none of the action would have taken place had it not been for Snape, and none of the action would resolve had it not been for Snape.. oh.. clearly too complicated and “backstory”.

slams head on keyboard…

Avatar Image says:

YEAH BUT WHY NOT PUT THE EXTENDED PENSIVE SCENE ON THE DVD THEN?! I’m really dispappointed. It was filmed after all and was even put on the collector cards!!!! Why not at least put it on the DVD!!!! Fxckxrs.

Avatar Image says:

Actually, I would be more concerned with the implication—that Yates seems to think he will be directing DH. Too soon to tell.

Avatar Image says:

I wonder whether the scene was cut and not even included on the DVD because they made a mistake with something that would affect what happens in DH. Maybe they had Lily not being sympathetic towards Snape or something (despite it being movie-canon that she was a person who saw the good in people (Lupin says so in PoA)). I really do wish Cuaron had directed Ootp (despite people going crazy about what he cut in PoA I think he is still the one that’s treated HP the best)

Avatar Image says:

Actually, you might be on to something: the solution to the deleted Snape’s Worst Memory would be to use that footage in DH. Might take an extra contract with the actors in that scene, but still more cost effective and sensible than trashing it altogether.

Besides, realistically the scene will surface sooner or later…just hoping for sooner is all!

Avatar Image says:

In any case, Steve Kloves is going to have to figure out some way to include that Lily-Snape info in either film 6 or 7. I assume it will take place in film 7 through the book 7 means IF they don’t think it “complicates things” or slows down the momentum of the final conflict. (Being ironic here!) And there really has to be a visual emphasis on Lily and Harry’s eyes being alike so that Snape’s dying words will make sense and be moving.

Avatar Image says:

While I’m disappointed at the small number of deleted scenes (and ones that are…Trelawney eating of all things, granted Emma Thompson is great and hilarious), I just can’t say how much I love David Yates as an HP director. He’s the first so far who has gotten it and I just wish he had been around for the first 4 (then again, he would probably have been worked to death by now had that been the case).

I for one really liked the Ron scene with Harry. I am a HUGE Ron fan and part of what makes OoTP so fantastic is that canon!Ron has finally showed up. This scene just shows, AGAIN, the loyal Ron (wanting to stay with Harry). I also loved the bit at the end where him and Hermione just have this look. I love that because it’s something we don’t get much of in the books, but we know is always there: Ron and Hermione worrying about and taking care of Harry on their own (while falling in love with each other, of course!).

Avatar Image says:

I’m not happy about this at all, BUT my bigger fear is him cutting out the entire Snape story because it’s too complicated. Please no!!!!

Avatar Image says:

They could so easily make the last two movies the biggest failures in movie history.

And people who’ve only seen the movies will never get why we love the HP world so much.

Avatar Image says:

Pity it must always be that marauder backstory will complicate the plot.

At least they’ll have to in the Snape/Lily stuff for DH. Whilst we will never get all the Marauder stuff. Woe.

But that Ron/Harry scene at the end should have totally made the final cut. It’s the one deleted scene I’ve seen, but it really would have helped show both Harry’s state after the death and the strength of trio friendship.

Avatar Image says:

I also agree with fishscale and ClearBear, that they should most certainly have left that scene in the final cut, with Harry in his bedroom – Ron talking to him with compassion in his eyes! And yes, a scene with Ron/Hermione is never a wasted moment. And Budb, could thinking of you ;-) about David Yates being also the director for DH. I had the impression that it is not Known until today, who is going to direct Deathly Hallows? So why would Mr.Yates say that they may – or may not include that deleted Lily/Snape in the next movies???? Guess it would be too complicated!!!

Avatar Image says:

Mr Yates, it’s not complicating things by adding explanation and detail to an already sparse movie plot.

Avatar Image says:

Is it just me, or do the movies really seem to downplay Snape’s role and importance? By leaving out so much backstory on Snape and the Marauders, on his relationship with Lily, on his Death Eater days, it’s going to make movies six and seven look really odd. People who just watch the movies will be quite confused.

Avatar Image says:

I can see why they cut Trelawney’s extra long scene, it didn’t seem natural how she kept messing up. It felt very forced.

Avatar Image says:

They should have left the Sirius and Bella duel in because when Bella gets killed it is very similar to the way she took Sirius down- besides like I said they barely mentioned that they were cousins so why not have them interacting before sirius gets killed by her. DUMBA**es.

Avatar Image says:

I’m pretty sure Snape’s motives can be explained in Deathly Hallows without the confusion. Movie goers already know Snape dislikes Harry but protects him and they don’t know why. Snape’s worst memory works well in the book where we have all the time in the world to read it and analyze it and digest it, but in a roller coaster ride like a movie, I can understand it causing a bit of confusion.

Plus, in the book, Harry saw it on the pensieve. In the movie, Snape was right there. It’s not like he was going to pull too much information out of his head that way. He’d only get a glimpse.

Still, there’s no reason not to include it in the deleted scenes of the DVD unless they decided not to shoot it.

Avatar Image says:

It’s just as I feared. The producers have decided to tell the story without Snape/Lily. I would be a month’s salary that Snape/Lily will not figure in the film version fo DH AT ALL! Oh I hate them!!!!!! I hate the producers. I really do.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, Budb, very perceptive to pick up the hint in Yates’ comments that he’s thinking he’ll do Deathly Hallows. My guess is he has right of first refusal and it’s his if he wants it. Cuaron was the one who totally eliminated the Marauder story from Prisoner of Azkaban, so I wouldn’t trust him any more than I do Yates to include what should be included. But hey, Yates got the vast majority of what I wanted to see included, so I don’t mind if he stays on. I just hope he’s learned that while it might be possible to complicate things too much, one can also oversimplify!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with everyone regarding the ommission of the Snape storyline being something of a travesty. For me, the peak moment in DH was not Harry vs. Voldemort (we always knew it would come down to that), but Harry witnessing Snape’s death, then then finding out the truth in the pensiev. THAT is what I will be paying my $10 to see when the film comes out.

Avatar Image says:

Obviously seeing my last name I am completely disappointed as well that Snapes whole memory didnt get introduced- but does anyone else feel the same way about the duel between Sirius and Bellatrix – they would make things so much easier if they just included all the scenes they shot why are they doing this! I would also like to hear that interview with Alan about Snape as well. Please give me your thoughts.

Avatar Image says:

Kralonu, Yates didn’t cut the film to this lenght for proffits. He normally makes small independent tv-films, he doesn’t care about proffits. He just thought the film would flow better if it would be shorter and not to complicated. I’m not sure if I agree with him though. But don’t say he did it for the proffits.

Avatar Image says:

I think most of us are disappointed that the Snape/Lily portion was left out. If they want the movie version of DH to make the really huge emotional impact that the book does, they have to include the Snape/Lily story. The whole point of the epic story of Harry Potter has to do with the power of love in its many forms. If the director wants to convey that at all, they need to show how love defeats evil: the love Harry has for his parents/and they in spirit for him, Harry’s love for Sirius, for his friends (Ron, Hermione, Neville, Luna, the whole gang), Snape’s love for Lily, familial love (the Weasleys etc.), caring for those who are considered “different” (Hagrid, Lupin etc.) and all the characters who gave up their lives for the good of the others (Dumbledore, Lupin etc.. They did that out of love and ultimately Harry realizes he must too. Love is the ultimate motivating factor for all of them. Personally, this is why I love Harry Potter so much- it was such an emotional end and I cried my eyes out!

Not sure what everyone else think’s but that’s my two cents, for what it’s worth :)

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think they will cut the snape/lilly stuff in DH. Besides that it’s a very beautiful plot-line, it explaines why snape is loyal to dumbledore and not a deatheater anymore. So ofcoarse it’s going to be in.

Avatar Image says:

I still think that “complications” are no excuse to take out a HUGE part of the plot! Also, I agree with everyone who thinks that the Harry/Ron scene should definitely have been put in the movie. Dan REALLY looks like he’s feeling what he’s saying and Ron and Hermione truly look like they’re sad. Dan, Emma, and Rupirt’s acting are one of the best I’ve seen, and they didn’t put that in which disappointed me. Also, like fishscale said, he shows how strong a friendship the trio has.

Avatar Image says:

I believe the didn’t want to show that scene on the dvd because they are saving it for Deathly Hallows where it’s more relevant!

Avatar Image says:

re: “Movie goers already know Snape dislikes Harry but protects him and they don’t know why.”

um, they do? thank goodness for Cuaron, at least he HINTED at it with that scene in PoA (snape covering the kids). other than that, its safe to say Snape’s protection of HP has been left pretty untouched for the past 2 movies.

we’re not stupid yates! it wont confuse us. just put the bloody scene in ok? jeeeez. and um…it better be in the next movie, else i’m just gonna stop going to watch the movies. i can almost tell the next one is gonna be disasterous. surely Snape’s mom’s backstory will complicate things as well. peh!

Avatar Image says:

We need Snape for the storyline! We want to see Snape! We love Snape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Is what was cut from the SWO scene going to be on the DVD for US people too? I’m waiting to watch it if it is.

...Maybe by Deathly Hallows in “The Prince’s Tale” ( I think that’s the chapter title), when Harry is looking through all of Snape’s memories, they’ll be smart and ADD Lily to the scene (the guy playing James was pretty terrible while acting, by the way). There’s pretty much no excuse for them to have cut it. It would only complicate Harry’s feelings a LITTLE- he never tells anyone else about what he sees, he’s too horrified in the book. That’s my only complaint about the OotP movie.

Ugh, Half-Blood Prince will definitely be the best movie though. They’d have to be extremely stupid to screw it all up. It’s cinematically written, and consists of Harry’s thoughts, a lott of romance, Dumbledore-lessons, and the Draco and Snape business (and Harry’s luck in Potions). It’s brilliant if you think of it as a Part One and DH as a Part Two of one whole story. HBP is such a cheery story- but all those dark undertones and the fact that a war is really going on only hits the main characters at the end and the war is full-throttle when we get to DH. If they manage to mess it up, I’ll be incredibly, incredibly angry.

Avatar Image says:

I’ll be SO disappointed if Yates stays on to do Deathly Hallows. I am not a fan of his. I was giving the OOTP a fair chance since I only saw it on the big screen once, but now that I’ve watched it a couple of times on DVD I’m pretty sure it’s my least favourite of the five movies.

It’s bad enough he’s doing Half Blood Prince…

Avatar Image says:

some of the comments on here are incredibly rude, and ignorant. a director is making a cohesive piece of art; it’s totally inappropriate to write, as someone above did, ‘fool directors’ or any such comments. it just seems petty. but that seems par for the course on these comment pages anyway.

Avatar Image says:

Yates has been the best director so far. He knows what he’s doing and I’m sure he and WB have methods to their madness far beyond the comprehension of all these teeny bopper HP fans. If you’re so in love with the books, go read ‘em again. The books are the books—the movies are the movies. Things have always been altered, things will always be altered. Get over it.

Avatar Image says:

cheers, jennifer! well said!

Avatar Image says:

I just don’t understand why they don’t include these deleted scenes in the, uh, deleted scenes on the DVD. Yates’s reasoning here just doesn’t make sense. It’s not like people expect him to re-edit them back into the movie or anything.

I really wanted to like this movie, but the editing was appalling. Seriously, every scene felt as though it finished prematurely. The pace was right off. It was as though they only (grudgingly) included fleeting glimpses of this and that important plot line just so audiences can understand it later (or at least not be all ‘wtf!?’), but included indulgent amounts of time on the more frivolous, kid-pleasing scenes that have no real bearing on the overall plot.

I had really, really hoped that a decent chunk of the rumoured extra hour(!) of footage they filmed but didn’t include might have made it onto the DVD. Alas no. The stuff that made it was the most mind-numbingly inane nonsense I’ve seen, tbh, while the scenes people really wanted to see were left off.

And, insult to injury, in the extra where Nat Tena goes around the set, it mentions that they were filming a scene where Lupin comforts Harry after Sirius’s death. Which is also not included on the DVD. Wah.

Avatar Image says:

I’m kinda glad the Trelawny scene was cut. The scene showing Umbridge making her speech is much better.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t see how that scene would complicate things. You don’t even know they have a relationship until the 7th book. The whole 5th book is a foreshadow for the 7th book, so the 5th movie should foreshadow the 7th movie. I do not know how they are going to show that Snape and Lily had a relationship since that was cut out of 5 movie. I love what Yates did with this movie, but hate that he cut so very much important stuff out of it. I really think that WB was worried they would not get the audiences with a longer movie in the summer time, but this particular one should not have been cut so much. I still don’t see why it was not included in the deleted scenes on the DVD.

Avatar Image says:

I’d say it’s a pretty good bet that the reason the full Snape’s Worst Memory scene was left off the DVD is because they are thinking of including in in DH.

And I’d say it’s a pretty good bet that the reason the Dvd only contains a minimal amount of deleted scenes is because they are saving most of the additional footage for a future extended cut. We know there is TONS of more footage, Yates mentioned originally shooting enough material for OOTP to be 3 hours long.

Avatar Image says:

jeez….why??....I mean we all loved that part very much….I mean why would it have hurt to just have added a couple more minutes to the movie…not a big deal right?...and it would have made more people happy!... Om my gosh!...I wish they put in in the movie!!!!!!!....sniffles...:(...

Avatar Image says:

so what your saying is that we will all have to buy the extended DVDs of the movies after the 7th if we want to see the deleted scene with Sirius and Bella and the one of Snapes worst memory?

Avatar Image says:

I’m starting to think the reason why they didn’t put it on the dvd is so that they can recycle it later in DH during “The Prince’s Tale” part… or at least that’s what I HOPE. I keep complaining about the sucky way they did Snape’s worst memory and my sis just keeps telling me to calm down because they might try to put it in later… That’s probably the only time they could fit it in.

Avatar Image says:

I HATE THEM. I really do. This is all in the name of money, obviously. It always is…

Avatar Image says:

Tell Mrs. Rowling what you think!

Avatar Image says:

Thats complete rubish! Im disliking David Yates more and more with each interview. How would it have complicated the movie??? Its the story your making your film about and was the story confusing??? NO! Especially after the DH book was released how could we be confused??? I think they didnt like the Lily they used and they want to recast so they can get a better one. But even so I dont know how they are going to fix this mess with the “worst memory” because its key to the memories Snape gives Harry in the end! Are they going to cut out that memory as well????

Im so disappointed and disgusted.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think it would complicate it for those who have read the book…and I don’t think they leave things out of other book-to-film projects because of “complications” - they’ve made movies out of some of the most complicated books in the world - look at “Sense and Sensibility”! The real thing is they don’t have a writer who can write scenes like that. They have the same one over and over and he ALWAYS leaves those important things out. So, either he’s incapable of writing the scenes, or WB will not allow certain things to be included (I’m sure they have a manifesto the writers have to conform to). Not releasing it on DVD is probably to do with marketing.

Avatar Image says:

so when will we get to see the sirius and bellatix duel then that they cut out?

Write a Reply or Comment