Casting Now Complete for “Half-Blood Prince”

113

Nov 16, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The names of two actors who will portray a younger Lord Voldemort in the upcoming “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” film have now been revealed. Newsround is reporting that Hero Fiennes Tiffin (age 9 and nephew of actor Ralph Fiennes) will play the 11-year-old Tom Riddle. An actor named Frank Dillane, who is 16 years old, is said to be cast in the part of a teenage Voldemort.

UPDATE: Warner Brothers has just issued a press release indicating the casting is now complete for the sixth Harry Potter film. In addition to the Trio of Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) and Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), confirmed in this press release are the return of :

• Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange)
  • David Bradley (Argus Filch)
  • Robbie Coltrane(Hagrid)
  • Warwick Davis (Professor Flitwick)
  • Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy)
  • Michael Gambon (Professor Dumbledore)
  • Alan Rickman (Professor Snape)
  • Maggie Smith (Prof essor McGonagall)
  • Natalia Tena (Tonks)
  • Julie Walters (Molly Weasley)
  • David Thewlis (Remus Lupin)
  • Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood)
  • Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom)
  • Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley)
  • As announced earlier this month, included in the press release are the confirmation of actress Helen McCrory as Narcissa Malfoy, and Jessie Cave as Lavender Brown. Finally confirmed is actor Jim Broadbent in the role of Professor Horace Slughorn.

Noting that director David Yates is returning to the helm of the Half-Blood Prince movie, as is screen writer Steven Kloves, HBP producer David Heyman is quoted as saying, “I am really excited that David Yates and all our cast are back for the sixth film and welcome some wonderful new additions to our ensemble. We all share a commitment to Jo Rowling and to Harry Potter fans around the world to keep making these films the best they can be and, as we head into the final installments, I can promise that this level of commitment will not waver.”

In addition, confirming earlier reports here on TLC, noted cinematographer Bruno Delbonnel (“A Very Long Engagement,” “Amelie”) will serve as the director of photography, along with the return of production designer Stuart Craig, editor Mark Day, costume designer Jany Temime, creature & make-up effects designer Nick Dudman, special effects supervisor John Richardson, visual effects supervisor Tim Burke, and composer Nicholas Hooper.

“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” is in production in London, England and will be released in theaters November of 2008.

Thanks Jill!

131 Responses to Casting Now Complete for “Half-Blood Prince”

Avatar Image says:

Pictures, Pictures, where are the pics?!

Or will WB keep their looks under wraps like they did for Voldemort in GOF?

Avatar Image says:

Is this Frank the son of british actor Stephen Dillan? Hope we get pics soon! LOL I wonder if young Hero looks anything like his uncle?! Talk about keeping it in the family!

Avatar Image says:

Okay I accept you need a new actor for the 11 year old Riddle, but once again continuity is being ignored by casting a new actor as the teenage Riddle. Why bother what was wrong with the last guy?

Avatar Image says:

What about Scrimgeour and Bill Weasley?!!? I think Daniel Day-Lewis would make a great Scrimgeour.

Avatar Image says:

Looks like there will be no Gaunts. I’m not too bothered by it.

Avatar Image says:

For teenage Riddle, my only thought is that they might have had to recast someone a little younger than the last Riddle we saw in Chamber. It’s been a while and perhaps the dude looks a little too old for the part… I don’t know… As for Bruno Delbonnel for director of photography, I’m quite happy with that. If anyone here has seen “Amélie” or “A Very Long Engagement”, he’s just brilliant. “Le fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulin” is one of my all time favorite films and the photography impressed me. So if the script and directing goes well, Delbonnel will make the cave scene spectacular!

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if they are going to change it to the beginning of DH to the wedding of Lupin and Tonks instead of Bill and Fleur. They are already established characters could easily work the story around that.

Complete?

What about Marvolo, Morfin and Merope Gaunt?

Where’s Scrimgeour, Tom Riddle Sr. and Mrs Cole?

You can’t tell me that they aren’t going to have at least SOME of those characters in the movie! It’d be a waste of $120 million to cut those scenes!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was really hoping Professor Sprout would come back!!!! But Poppy Pomfrey is in the script yet they didn’t talk about her, so hey there’s still hope, and for Dobby as well….

godd i am sooo upset

Avatar Image says:

So Katie (Cho) isn’t returning after all?

Avatar Image says:

gives very slytherin evils to the cast list

grits teeth LONG STRAIGHT BLONDE HAIR for McCrory… Someone quick link me to a Photoshopped version of her so that I can stop glaring at my computer screen! I’m getting weird looks…

Tiffin- I like that lol “tiffffin” gigglesnort

Avatar Image says:

Cool. Can’t wait for HBP. “Tiffin” is a cute name, like the name of a chocolate bar.

Avatar Image says:

They haven’t given us the complete cast list, so some of the other actors could be returning as well. I could see them cutting down the Gaunt storyline, and the forthcoming marriage of Bill and Fleur could go as well, though we might get more Lupin/Tonks instead (as they did cut some of the build up to Lupin/Tonks from OotP). I could see Scrimgeour going as well, or delaying him until DH.

Avatar Image says:

It is highly likely that Frank Dillane is the son of British actor Stephen Dillane. Too much of a coincidence not to be. At least according to this biography (look under ‘Family’): http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/contributor/1800021199/bio he has appeared together with his father in the movie ‘Welcome to Sarajevo”. Frank was born in 1989, so which means he is 18 now.

Avatar Image says:

Ah yes, I should have read the press release. That can’t be the full list!

Avatar Image says:

No Fred and George? jaw drops That can’t possibly be right. I’m so let down!!

Avatar Image says:

That’s definitely not a complete list.

Katie (Cho) IS coming back – it’s on Wikipedia. She confirmed in an interview: http://www.katieleungfan.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1194561436&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

I hope they don’t cut Marvolo/Morfin/Merope :( I thought those scenes were pivotal, and kinda marked why Tom Riddle was unable to feel love or anything of the sort… Plus I loved the “hissy hissy little snakey” poem that Morfin sang lol. :P

But I AM really excited to see these two different actors playing Riddle! :D

Avatar Image says:

^ that makes me feel a little better… headdesk

I hope they don’t cut the Gaunts scene too. I want to see Riddle senior and Merope’s expression in that scene: I hope they don’t limit the Merope/Tom plotline too much cuz it was kinda important and moving for me.

Avatar Image says:

Here are some pics of an 8 year old Frank Dillane (I think) from the movie ” Welcome to Sarajevo”: http://french.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0120490/AU14_1_16.jpg.html and http://french.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0120490/Ss/0120490/AU14_1_15.jpg.html?hint=group

He looks alright based on his 8 year old self…wonder what he look like now…

Avatar Image says:

I am always confident in Heyman and crew/cast to deliver a quality HP movie so my anticipation for each film never dissipates as I love each film as they are released. What excites me even more this time around is the announcement of the Director of photography. I have seen Amelie and A Very Long Enggment and they are breathtaking (A Very Long Engagement, especially, which is a sweeping epic). I also love Nicolas Hooper’s score for Pheonix which was beautiful and subtle and never tries to climb above a scene, only to serve it.

Avatar Image says:

OH PLZ OH PLZ OH PLZ! BRING THE TWINS BACK, PLEEEEEEEASE BRING THEM BACK! Altough, I doubt they would ever hear my voice from over here.

Avatar Image says:

Hey! Why is Cho coming back?? If she can come back, then why not FRED & GORGE?????

Avatar Image says:

A nine-year-old to play an eleven-year-old…I hope they don’t try to make him seem to small and innocent, though I doubt they will.

Avatar Image says:

OMG THE WEASLEY’S STORE! I forgot that part…

Avatar Image says:

Sorry that’s GEORGE! I hate it when i mis-spell me love. What’s wrong with me?

Avatar Image says:

If Tom Riddle is smaller but still creepy enough, it will seem even more disturbing. _

Avatar Image says:

Fred and George don’t have that big a part in the book. There is the WWW shop, and Christmas at the Weasleys, but that is it. The WWW shop might require a lot of set work, and they have already dropped the story line where Harry funds it with his TWT winnings, so they might try to do it in other ways, though I would imagine Fred and George will be there somehow.

Avatar Image says:

Very happy for the returning cast… I only hope Dame Maggie Smith gets a bigger role in HBP as per the book and for an actress of her caliber. As for new casting, I am surprised they went for Hero Fiennes Tiffin to play young Tom Riddle at age 11, but all the better to keep Voldemort in the family and if he looks like Fiennes, he’s going to be perfect.

But yeah, I’m worried about the lack of Schrimgeour… according to Yates if he made it into the final script he’d brought in Bill Nighy (“Love Actually”, “Pirates of the Caribbean”) to play him. So I guess in DH someone will deliver Dumbledore’s gifts at the Burrow and the trio will have to figure them out themselves.

Avatar Image says:

No Gaunts. I assume they’ll be mentioned in dialogue. Remember some pensieve scenes were going to be cut out and that one would have been the most confusing.

No Scrimgeour = No first chapter with the prime minister. It added very little to plot, but darn, was that fun to read or what? Also no visit from Percy to the Weasley’s (No Dumbledore’s man through and through!). I assume they’ll have worked out the snag on Deathly Hallows where Scrimgeour gives them Dumbledore’s stuff from the will. It’ll probably be Lupin.

Is the kid’s name Tiffin or Hero? Either one, that’s radical. Mama Fiennes has a bold sense for naming children.

Avatar Image says:

They might decide to keep WWW because of the whole Draco’s Detour thing. They need an excuse to be in Diagon Alley. XP unless they cut that bit too… jeeeeeez

Avatar Image says:

“CASTING is complete” doesn’t mean that is a “complete” cast list! Hurrah! Rickman, Smith….too cool! I think that they had to cast someone else, for the “teenage” Tom Riddle, as it’s been too long, and the other actor is too old. Eventhough Dan, Rupert and Emma are older than their parts, we “grew up” with them…easier to relate to. You can’t always go back…I’m happy Ms Smith and Mr Rickman are back!!!!! YAAAY!

Avatar Image says:

Any idea when the pictures will appear on the various Movie Sites (IMDb,Yahoo!Movies) that have castlist/details?????

Soon I hope.

also, can i just say that the casting of Horace Slughorn was genious!

I was watching Narnia the other day and just squeeeeeed when i saw Jim Broadbent. heehee

Avatar Image says:

That list of cast is not the complete cast. It is the main cast for the film.

ie for GOF, the actors playing the three champions were listed in the main cast list press release, but Matthew Lewis,Bonnie Wright,the Phelps etc were not as their roles were not as big in that film, but they were still there.

They always list the trio at the top, then the main regular cast of adult actors (plus the revolving door of DADA teachers) in alphabetical order, then the other young cast who play a major role in that particular film, in this case, it is Bonnie, Matt, Tom and Evanna.

That doesn’t mean that all the other regular cast won’t be there as well.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, phiouf it isn’t complete. Still a shot for Dobby and Prof. Sprout! (I know, I’m obsessed).

Don’t worry guys! I’ve heard it’s confirmed the WWW will be in it, so F&G must be in it.

What?!

Ok, normally I’m calm about this, but that JUST CAN’T be the complete cast.

Where’s Mark Williams (Arthur Weasley) and James and Oliver Phelps?! Granted, I know the Weasley twins aren’t in the 6th book as much, but COME ON! I really want Christmas with the Weasleys along with Scrimgeour (sp?)

(Jess, wiki shouldn’t be trusted at all)

Frankly, I’m just not happy with Steve Kloves coming back. He’s a good writer, but he isn’t good for HP in my opinion.

Avatar Image says:

I am not happy. They chose to cut out Rufus Scrimgeour and I’m not happy at all. David Yates mentioned before that they were discussing his inclusion. “One moment he’s in, the other he’s out.” But there should have been no question from the beginning. I think he’s one of the characters that make the book as great as it is. His actions and ways of dealing with Voldemort’s return, in contrast with Dumbledore are an essential part of the book and the situation as Rowling depicted it. I would have thought this must interested David Yates. I thought there was no question that he would include Scrimgeaour, who provides all the political drama of the situation. His interactions with Harry add a lot of intensity to the whole book. Some of the best quotes of HBP come from these parts.

Avatar Image says:

(Continuation of the previous post)

“Dumbledore’s man through and through”.. (this line will be cut obviously, when it would have been perfect to show the relationship between Harry and DD, especially in this movie) “You never get it right, you people. Either we’ve got Fudge, pretending everything’s lovely while people get murdered right under his nose, or we’ve got you, chucking the wrong people into jail and pretending you’ve got the Chosen One working for you.” (Quotes like this one sum everything up so nicely and are just ready-made for the movies, and they cut them off..) “I haven’t forgotten, Minister.. The Ministry wasn’t so keen to be pals last year” (reminding people of OotP, Harry’s suffering, the ministry’s hypocrisy.. The movies lack these little lines which help continuity and bring the different movies together. That’s why each movie, even each scene feels so separate from the others that the whole Harry Potter movie expereince feels more like a slideshow. You don’t have this sense of an epic running franchise like LOTR for example. The reason for this is decisions like these from the filmmakers which are not well thought out. Cut this character; cut that plotline, it’s not really important to Harry’s story. Ok, I know that a lot has to be cut, but my point is, I think they go about it the wrong way with these decisions. They always say in interviews that how they do it is that they first ask themselves what absolutely needs to be in. I think they should think the other way round: What can be cut without much damage to the story? What would be lost if we cut this or that? When they decide to cut a character, they should ask themselves what are the scenes that will inevitably be cut with this character and what each of them brings to the story. They have to weigh it out. You could cut half the book saying this and that is not essential to Harry’s story. That’s right, but what if that half of the book that you cut included all the intense moments, all the memorable lines, all the emotion of the story?? You create a bland film. That’s what they tend to do, and a very good example is this decision to cut out the characer of Scrimgeour. It shows their reasonning: they think in terms of creating a strory that works, that has a beginning and an end, and which centers on the principal charcter of Harry and what that happens to him. It’s what we keep hearing over and over again. But it’s a businessman-like approach.

Of course I’m generalising things too much, and I now realize that my post turned into a rant and completely negative view of the films. That’s not the way I feel. I just think that a main problem with the movies lies in the decisions of what to keep in and what not to. I was trying to explain this point. There have been some great directors on these movies: Alfonso Cuaron and David Yates. I also liked Chris Columbus’ work on the first movie, but not the second. They were very different from eachother but each had a great way of shooting scenes. They directed good films on the whole, but the problem was with the scripts.. The first drafts of the scripts where everything is decided and the basic layout of the movie is laid out. I was happy when Michael Goldenberg took over. I wanted to see a change, but he was not a lot better. What I’d love to see on the DVDs instead of all the silly extras they include is a feature on what goes behind the inclusion of certain scenes and characters over others. A feature on the scriptwriting process and the director’s involvement with it. That would be really interesting, but WB seems to think the fans are not clever enough for this sort of things. They think we prefer seeing Tonks jump around the sets.

I have to stop. I’m sorry I’ve talked way too much. I’m not sure anyone is going to have the patience to read all this but the news made me want to talk and I couldn’t stop. If anyone has different views or comments I want to hear them.

Avatar Image says:

I’m going to hope that this isn’t the complete cast. And i’m also going to hope that even if the Gaunts don’t play a huge roll, we get glimpses of them. A glimpse is better than nothing, though if it were up to me, this movie would be 3 and a half hours… I think we’d all really prefer 7. haha. Lets hope that Yates will make this a little longer than OOTP. While i enjoyed OOTP, i really wish i could see the directors cut… it’d be fascinating to see what he had that we didn’t get to see.

I can’t see a HP movie without Fred and George. We HAVE to see U-KNOW-POO! (The constipation sensation that’s gripping the nation!)

Avatar Image says:

I love Alan Rickman I am so happy he is returning as the incedible Snape. But like many said there are some characters missing, like Hepzibah Smith, Scimgeour, the Gaunts, etc. So if this insnt the complete cast list when will they give it to us?

Avatar Image says:

THIS LIST ISN’T COMPLETE. As we saw in the Sneak Peak, Mark Williams (Arthur Weasley) is in it (the garage scene) and he’s not listed here. This says “including” which also implies “not limited to”

Avatar Image says:

No Gaunts? Please don’t tell me that nothing happens in this movie but Ron snogging Lavender. What a waste of a book! I hope Snape gets a look-in with his backstory, but what could be more important than Tom Riddle’s backstory? Unless they are going to write out the entire Horcrux idea.

Avatar Image says:

I am VERY excited that Nicholas Hooper is returning! =)

Avatar Image says:

Oooh! I just had a thought! Do you think Spinners End will be in the movie, if Helen McCrory is playing Narcissa? I’ll be really excited if it is! Helen McCrory and Helena Bonham Carter will be excellent together, i think. It might be fun seeing them bicker together as they walk to Snape’s house. :) What do you guys think?

Ah, looks like nepotism is alive and well at Warner Bros. Ah well. :\

Avatar Image says:

Think about continuity. The same thing comes back doesn’t it? David yates doesn’t feel it necessary to include Caulson! Necessities can have a long term effect on adaptation movies since many viewers idealistically imagine the actors as the characters themselves. Moreover, fans also develope a certain bonding with the said actors and long for their appearences. So, if the actors are simply cut off, it let’s quite a lot of fans down. As for me, I HOPE THE PHELP TWINS RETURN AGAIN. HBP will be the last time we might see Fred smiling and enjoying, for the next time we see him, he’ll be dead serious, and ironically, he’d be lying dead on one of the corridors in Hogwarts. So, I think, a final look at the happy family of Weasleys could be quite emotional and fun! lol… What do you guys think about it?

Avatar Image says:

Oooh, I so hope you are all right that this is not the complete list. The Dursleys aren’t listed either! I will be quite disappointed if we don’t get to see Dumbledore tell them off for how they’ve treated Harry. But I will be DEVASTATED if “Dumbledore’s man through and through” isn’t worked in there somehow, especially at Dumbledore’s funeral, along with “Dumbledore is never truly gone as long as those loyal to him remain at Hogwarts,” which is such a lovely allusion to Cos. Those lines are what nearly brought me to tears reading the book, and they MUST be in there. Andrew, I agree with all you’ve said—thanks for that, rant or no! And on the up side, Laura, I do think it’s safe to assume Spinner’s End is IN with the casting of Narcissa. I would assume Yates has made up his mind and our opinions won’t matter much, but I will try to stay positive and hope he gets some of this feedback. Kloves was very good at working in the book lines in the first two movies, so I don’t know if that was the real Kloves or if Columbus was the one who wanted it that way, but I hope that’s the way it is in HBP.

Avatar Image says:

That’s obviously not the complete cast list…have any of you seen the entire cast lists for every HP movie before this on imdb.com? Way more people than that. I’m sure in the coming months they’ll announce more.

Avatar Image says:

Forgot to mention that I also wholeheartedly agree that Coulson should come back as Riddle, as least to request the DADA position. Maybe they’ve cut that scene-and I hope they didn’t since that was his opportunity to hide the tiara at Hogwarts-but you never know.

Avatar Image says:

Andrew, I think you make a lot of good points, and it echoes the same feelings that most of us have. Ever since HBP came out, I knew this would be the most difficult book to turn into a film. Why? Because of all the plots that don’t seem to be connected until the very end. You have the potion book, the flashbacks/horcruxes, you have draco running around, the ministry trying to use harry, plus you have all of these little romances popping up. It’s a really complicated story.

Before they decide what to cut or leave in, I think they sit down and discuss what the tone of the book is and what the tone will be in the movie. We know from early interviews that this film will be more lighthearted than OOtP. It sounds like they are really going to play up the romance aspects, which is fine. Then they probably decide what to leave in based on their theme. So how does Scrimgeour fit in? Well, Harry’s devotion to Dumledore is what is important. Don’t we see that when we go to the cave already? Plus they have to consider DH as well. Scrimgeour’s role isn’t significant in DH at all. I’m not saying that’s an okay reason to cut him, but it might be part of their thought process.

I’m going to miss Harry’s line a lot. It was so important at the end of the book. I guess if they’re going to cut something, it might as well be this.

Avatar Image says:

I think we can safely say the Dursleys will NOT be returning. The scene we’ve seen them shooting with Harry and Dumbledore going to see Slughorn in the village is likely to be the first thing we see after the opening sequence of Spinner’s End (this is definitely going to make it, it will be a fantastic way to start the film and the Unbreakable Vow is very important)

Avatar Image says:

Scrimgeour only gets 4 scenes in the entire series. The rest of the time he is only mentioned. The whole Ministry using Harry was a D level plot if not lower. It was likely cut for time and for simplicity. As for the Gaunts, we already know Merope is in the movie (rewatch that bit on the orphanage…they talk about her struggling through the gate and very pregnant). Morfin and Marvolo may or may not make it in for simplicity though.

Avatar Image says:

This casting sounds excellent! So glad to see so many returning faces as well as the new ones.Jessie Cave is beautiful and looks like she could play a teasingly wonderful Lavender. So glad about the new cinamatagrpher—have heard great things about him and seen some of his wonderful work.He will be a major plus. As for the original young Voldemort from COS. I think in his mid tweenties and the film makers may feel him to much older looking than a 16 year old.[He could also be commited to something else]Can hardly wait to see Hero Fiennes Tiffin,hope he has some of his both his uncles talents[I asume he is not Joseph’s’s son, an actor I also love] There is only so much that can be covered in a two hour film so a lot will need to be cut that was in the book and not nessacery to make a film work.

Avatar Image says:

Why was the last part of my comment cut?This is what I said.

I’m still hoping for Daniel Day-Lewis as the werewolf [I guess in DH] and Bob Hoskins in any roll they can fit him into.

Avatar Image says:

Have nobody a photo of the actor? I hope the Gaunts are playing a part in this movie, it should be a great hole in the plot if they’re skipped.

Avatar Image says:

Spinner’s End is surely there in some form (though they might relocate it) since Narcissa has been cast and Bellatrix is returning (offhand I can’t think of anywhere else where we see Bellatrix in the books). I can see the Dursleys missing out though. I think we have been told that the love stories are going to be a main theme of the plot, the whole horcrux lessons, cave and showdown on the tower are surely there also, and it seem we get Quidditch as well (possibly as part of the love story). They don’t seem to have mentioned someone playing McLaggen though.

Avatar Image says:

Casting is complete. That doesn’t mean the press release listed everybody who was cast. (e.g. Of course Alfie Enoch and Devon Murray will be back, but they weren’t listed.) They probably would have listed all the A-list movie stars, so that suggests that if Mrs. Cole or somebody is in it, which I’m sure she is if only for a few lines, she’s not being played by a huge movie actress, which is no surprise.

Avatar Image says:

Oops, sorry for repeating what a lot of people had said. Didn’t have time to scroll through all the comments but I saw a lot of concerned people.

Anyway, this was the update of my life. Thanks Leaky!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t care if the Dursleys are cut, but I’ll be devestated if they cut the Gaunts. *“Please don’t tell me that nothing happens in this movie but Ron snogging Lavender.” Yeah, that’s what I’m starting to worry about too. :/

Avatar Image says:

I think we can assume the recurring characters will return even if briefly—not sure the Dursley’s can be cut out altogether, but I fear that will happen.

Being boring, i compiled a list of the minor charcters that could/should appear in HBP but who have not been mentioned as cast. Doesn’t mean they won’t appear in the film, just that they haven’t been mentioned as cast:

Katie Bell … Emily Dale in CoS

Rufus Scrimgeour

Marvolo Gaunt

Morfin Gaunt

Merope Gaunt

Mudumgus Fletcher—how can he be cut out entirely, given DH?

Tom Riddle Sr.? —can easily be left out, along with his parents. Or, just extras.

Fenrir Greyback

Jimmy Peakes

Ritchie Coote

Demelza Robins

“Leanne, Katie’s Friend”

Pansy Parkinson—Genevieve Gaunt

Madame Rosmerta—Julie Christie

and what about Dobby and Kreacher?

and of course, William Melling as Nigel

Pictures, please!

Avatar Image says:

I know this list isn’t the whole cast, but I really need to know we’re going to see the Gaunts in this one! Here, Warner Brothers – let me cast them for you: Bob Hoskins as Marvolo, Rhys Ifans as Morfin, and Emma Chambers as Merope. There you go. Now make those calls.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for the links for Frank Dillane to the person who posted them. It seems they were going for someone who looks a it like Ralph Fiennes (if he still looks as he did when he was a kid in the Sarajevo film).

Avatar Image says:

sigh No Gaunt House, no mention that Voldemort actually had a father. This is sad, but I’m glad that they at least got baby and teen Voldemort.

I’m still sort of disappointed that they’re not casting the Gaunts – it was one of my favorite scenes.

Avatar Image says:

Aw, how cute, a Hero playing baby villain Tom!

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad we now have the ‘Riddles’...but LIST NOW COMPLETE?! Oh HELL NO!

What the heck?! No Marvolo, Morfin, Merope?! Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME??!! I mean I can see how they can take out Bill, Greyback, but these three AND Scrimgeour?! COME ON! ARGGGG! This is not cool, not cool at all! <_<

Avatar Image says:

@Jeannine…voice of reason! Huzzah!!! @budb….visual of reason!!! Maybe some will calm down, now that budb has put forth a “list” of those who “could/should” be listed…long list,doncha think? Kinda hard to release ALL those names, in one “swelledfoop”! LOL Thanks, Leaky, for the news. Thanks Jeannine and budb for a voice of reason and visual “confirmation”! Here we go, folks! What a ride this is gonna be….*)

Avatar Image says:

- “Scrimgeour only gets 4 scenes in the entire series. The rest of the time he is only mentioned. The whole Ministry using Harry was a D level plot if not lower. It was likely cut for time and for simplicity.”

That’s what I was trying to say, if you read my post. He only gets four scenes, that means he’s not very important plot-wise. His plot is a D level plot. I’m with you on that. That means he doesn’t really affect Harry’s story and can be cut to save time, right? That’s the reasoning of the movie people which I am completely against. Why? Because his 4 scenes are some of the best of the book. You can have a character who only has four scenes and might be unimportant as a character but whose scenes can up the film’s intensity much more than a prominent character who’s present throughout the whole movie and very important to the plot but whose scenes are very ordinary, very mild. Some reviews for OotP said, “Yates merely succeeds in telling the story but he supplies litle in terms of wow factors.” That’s a problem. It means he (or the scriptwriter to be fair) focused more on adapting a long book into a movie and make it ‘work’.. just ‘work’, techncally as a film. What scenes did he choose to include? Scenes that move the story forward. You can say he succeeded in adapting a 900-page book to a 2 hours movie. True, he did. There’s nothing wrong with the story. But what of the great parts of the book that made the book ‘great’? No place for them. They relate to secondary characters, D level plots, etc.. I’m not saying they should include all these subplots. I’m still talking realistically. But my point is that the filmmakers should look for the good, intense parts of the book as much as they look for the parts that move the plot. A balance between the two is needed. I feel that they lean more towards the latter. I’m convinced that sometimes a subplot would be worth including just to have a couple of good scenes in. They could be a high point of the movie and be more effective in drawing the audience into the story than the principle plotlines.

Avatar Image says:

Calm down, folks. This isn’t a complete list of returning cast. Notice how Arthur Weasley isn’t listed, but pictures have already been seen with him filming a scene.

As for Scrimgoer, Yates stated a while back that his role in the film was on the fence, and he already had an actor (Bill Nighy, an actor that Yates has worked with before) ready to call if he was needed. So I’m going to assume that he’s not necessary, because he WOULD be in the film if Yates thought he was needed.

And I do like the idea of a Lupin/Tonks wedding, but it’ll be interesting to see where they go with it. Besides, Fleur might still be coming back, just not listed.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t understand why people are saying that this is not the complete list. I get that there is more people missing, but those people have already been cast in previous movie. I’m pissed cuz this is the list of people who have been casted for this movie…as in they won’t do anymore casting, as in this is it, everyone else that is not on the list, like Mr. Weasley, the Twins, we can be calm cuz we know they’ll be there….I’m talking about new characters. So don’t give this dumb ** about the list not being complete….....sorry, I’m pissed, don’t mean to take it out on anyone. :(

Avatar Image says:

Slightly off the immediate topic of casting HBP, but connected with the question of casting the films as a whole…

Has anyone ever seen an explanation of why we went from Colin Creevy (played by Hugh Mitchell in CoS) who was a character in the books, to Nigel (William Melling in GoF and OotP), an invented character for the films? Or for that matter, why were some of the other subsitutions of actors made—Tom of the Leaky, the trolley lady on Hogwarts express, and so on?

Off the immediate point, I know….

Avatar Image says:

Of course this can’t be the full list. There is no way Ron is going to be going through girlfriend hell without good ol’ Fred and George around for the fun!

Avatar Image says:

I think Leaky needs to correct their info. Frank Dillane, sone of Stephen Dillane (Welcome to Sarejvo) was born in 1989. So Frank Dillane is 18 years old, not 16.

Avatar Image says:

Ugh…you people take everything so literally. This isn’t the cast list for the entire movie, there are several people missing that are known to be in it. They just listed the ones they wanted to, it’s more than likely they want to have some surprises when the film does come out. Relax already.

Avatar Image says:

ok.. no twins no gaunts no scrigmeour no moaning myrtle no dobby no greyback and the list continues?

Avatar Image says:

I am sooooo glad all those people are returning. Narcissa’s actress looks pretty good. That was the actress that was going to play Bellatrix, so…

Jim Broadbent will do well too I’m sure.

I really do hope they can keep this like the book. I don’t know who would be a good Scrimgeour but certainly not Daniel Day-Lewis as someone mentioned.

Avatar Image says:

I think you need to introduce Bill and Fluer’s relationship here, because of DH. They have the wedding that leads to the trio fleeing then later on in the book, you have shell cottage where “Here lies Dobby, a free elf” happens. You need to keep that scene. Thats where the whole breaking into Gringotts begins.

Avatar Image says:

Woe for no Gaunts, even if it was unlikely all the extensive flashbacking would make it.

And yes, looks like Lupin/Tonks will replace Bill/Fleur, which is a bit tragic. It is very easy to transfer: Shell Cottage in DH could even belong to them, it would utilise the actors/story they already have…

Avatar Image says:

that’s cool they have cast two TRs, I was worried they might cut the 11 year old scene. Also that they got one family member to play young TR, there must be quite a family resemblance.

the cast list does seem quite small, but they muct have some of Vs memories surely, esp the locket, cup and ring.

Avatar Image says:

Bill and Fleur are a bit tricky because you haven’t had the build up in earlier films (they didn’t meet in GoF, and there were no hints of a relationship in OotP). If the film makers are going to use shell cottage then they do need to mention the wedding in this film, but the characters don’t need to appear. But they could set the shell cottage scenes somewhere else.

Avatar Image says:

I assume that the USA Writers’ Strike, and the pending USA Actors & Directors Strikes won’t shut down production. Here, we’re looking at probably 8 months of television and film production grinding to a complete standstill. But these are all British Cast & Crew, and filming is in the UK.

Avatar Image says:

From what I have read the focus is going to be on the triangle of Lav-Lav Ron and Hermione as well as the developing relationship between Harry and Ginny. Also TR back story is not so important as the various horcruxes and Slughorn’s involovement with said items.

I can see not having F&G and Molly and Authar in the story and have long thought that Bill and Fleur would be replaced by Tonks and lupin. And I think Spinners End is in—to explain Draco’s actions and the events on the Astonomy Tower.

All you would be scriptwriters take out you copy and pare it down to two hundred pages. Try to figure out what is really important to the story as a whole.

NOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :|

This isn’t Fair There R many ppl to be back flure bill FREED & GORGE Fudge :s really they can’t cut the chapter j.k.r will not b happy they r not faithful 2 the book now :( i’m relly upset -> soory my spellin is soo week

Avatar Image says:

Sorry my english , i don´t know write english ,...so…where´s the Fleur´s character ???

Avatar Image says:

Arthur is in the film, because the sneak previews show him and Harry in his muggle items shed. And anyway, if they are going to do the love stories properly, they need to start at the Burrow, because that is where Harry starts enjoying Ginny’s company (as shown by his disappointment when she doesn’t stay with him on the train).

Avatar Image says:

It is so good to finally see confirmation that everyone will be back!

Avatar Image says:

their casting has always been perfect and i sure hope this is NOT THE FINAL LIST because we’re still missing a load of people: Cho, Bill, Fleur, Borgin, the Guants, Riddle sr., the ministry dude Odgin, Scrimgeour etc.

they better show scrimgeour at least for 1 minutes because even for those who havent read the books, it would be blasphemy if Fudge is kept as minister after the mess he made last year.

they better not cut WWW, or Draco’s detour. ill be upset. but what will upset me the MOST, is if they even THINK about cutting the Gaunt storyline. at that point continuing to watch these movies becomes pointless because yet another important storyline is taken out under the banner of ‘too complicated for the dumb audience’ and then… HP world becomes just another potentionally meaningful hollywood franchise gone bad.

its not just about the flow of the overall storyline. whats the message behind this gigantic franchise, with billions spent on it? whats the lesson? the POINT? nothing?

YAY!

i want pictures of the two little voldemorts!

Avatar Image says:

Wait a minute, this can’t be the complete list. We KNOW that arthur weasley will be in this movie, we saw it in the preview. Don’t despaire people, anything could happen.

Avatar Image says:

Woah, so it would seem that a lot of IMPORTANT characters were cut… Way to go WB, you lose.

Avatar Image says:

It’s funny to think that people are all complaining now. “WB is so stupid, thid is gonna cost them fans, blablablablabla.” I mean, ofcourse you’re all right, but we all know that we will be in the theaters as soon as the film is out and we will probably love it. Let’s just enjoy the things we get and remember, cutting a character isn’t the end of the world. It IS just fiction afterall. (I’m saying this to myself as well, because even I get carried away sometimes, before I remember: Hey, my life-happiness doesn’t depend on the outcome of this movie.) Please don’t kill me now.

Avatar Image says:

Responding to Quibbler: The last teenage Voldemort is probably in his late 20’s now and could no longer play a teenager? That’s my guess. He was handsome though, I hope the new actor can do him justice.

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad Katie is planned to come back, but Cho didn’t have much to do with the sixth book, did she? I’m kind of surprised she’ll be in it.

I’m sure that’s not a complete cast list; they just say casting is complete, and then list some of the actors. Otherwise Hogwarts would be pretty empty with only seven students, no? ;)

I wanna see what the one that’ll play the 16yearold V look like

Avatar Image says:

do u think this means Rufus Scrimgeour wont make the cut?

Avatar Image says:

As there is no Bill announcement, and that is a new cast member not a returning one, I assume there is no Bill … grrrrrrrrr I assumed that fred and george would be there, didn’t realise they weren’t on the list – but remind me why we need Cho again? That storyline per movies could be OVER but really, can we get a little Bill and Fleur!

Avatar Image says:

Yes, I could see Scrimgeour being cut, as a character at least, though he might get mentioned as being the new Minister.

The kid’s name is HERO?

Can’t say I ever heard that one before.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t care about the Gaunts, why is everybody so obsessed with them … shrugs … if they are focussing on the relationships etc then why NOT intorduce Bill and Fleur? They don’t have to have met on screen in GoF for Fleur to show up at The Burrow and with a quick explanation from Ron, Ginny and the twins – there it is – would make a brillinatly perfect foil for Ginny too.

Harry ‘ignores’ Fleur in favour of Ginny while Ron falls all over her and Hermione looks disgusted – draws out the Lav-Lav storyline.

I found 3 pics of Frank Dillane when he was 6 years old. Here is one of them:

In my opinion, he looks good for Tom (at least at the age of 6 as we don’t know if his appearance has changed much).

I think Ralph Fiennes will cast Voldemort when he applied the DADA teacher job because he’s in the main casting list and I don’t recall any other major event with Voldemort in HBP.

Avatar Image says:

Sounds great!! And, guys, this is obviously NOT the list of everyone in the movie, use some logic, lol. Just because Fred and George are not listed does not mean they are not in it- of course they’re going to be in it, why wouldn’t they be? Also, Stuart Craig talked about Merope Gaunt coming to the orphanage pregnant with Voldemort on that HBP sneak peek, so she’s going to be in it also. Anyways, I can’t wait for this movie to really get going!!

Avatar Image says:

what. the. hell. They have to have Scrimgeour! those were some of the greatest scenes in the book! When he calls harry Dumbledores man through and through, etc. that along with all the other stupid scrimgeour stuff, made Dumbledore’s death all the more powerful.

and no gaunts!? That’s how you learn were Voldemort is coming from this is just stupid.

and what’s worse. BILL AND FLEUR!!! OMFG!!!

Avatar Image says:

I would have to agree now that I think about it the other minor characters like the Gaunts and Hepzibah Smith, Mr.Borgin, Scimgeour and so on they probably will be a suprise or will be released later in the year. They do have important plots connected to them and I highly doubt that the whole movie will be about Ron and Lav kissing. I cant wait to see my ” Half- Blood ” Prince!!!

Avatar Image says:

I dunno if anyone has posted this, but Merope Gaunt is defintely in the film for at least 1 sec. And I know this because in that sneak peek issued they mentioned the shot they were going to film of her entering the orphanage pregnant. Remember the creaky door thing?

Avatar Image says:

I am not sure it is Merope entering the orphanage that was mentioned, but Oliver Twist’s mother entering by a gate (in a classic version of the story) similar to the one they will use in the film. So I don’t think that gives us any information about Merope being in the film.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve heard rumours on the IMDB board that Mundungus is being played by Marc Warren and that Scrimgeour is going to be played by Timothy Dalton.

Avatar Image says:

sadly… the movie series is a complete mess and a complete disapointment… and Neil, Daniel Day-Lewis is way way too good to be involved in this crap created by Yates…

Avatar Image says:

Scrimgeour is not a D-level plot. His scenes explain why the Minstry is not behind Harry, and why the trio has to function completely on their own in book 7. He also performs the slightly important task of giving Harry one of the DEATHLY HALLOWS, for heavens’ sake.

The Carrows are important as well. They show what kind of Hogwarts Voldemort wants to have. Their scenes in DH are priceless. Obviously some things have to go, but why put in Quidditch and Lavender Brown and leave out essential stuff? If Kloves hasn’t rewritten his script in the light of book 7, then he had better get on to it, fast.

And please, please, no David Yates and Nicholas Hooper for the final movie. I don’t want to sit through another film where the audience is fidgeting uncomfortably and checking their watches for two hours.

Avatar Image says:

I think it would be kinda fun if they cast about 4 people as Voldemort. You could have a young one, a teen one, Chris Coulson as young adult and Ralph Fiennes as snakelike one. It might get across the idea of what making Horcruxes is actually DOING to him, in a very physical way. He slowly becomes unrecognizable…ok, back to Marvel comics.

Avatar Image says:

Um…one of the biggest points of book 6 is the Ron/Lavender/Hermione angle, cutting out Lavender wouldn’t make sense at all. You know, they can find other ways of showing the Ministry is not behind Harry, they don’t have to put Scrimgeour in Film 6. And we know he gives Harry one of the Horocruxes, why can’t they just mention him in Film 6 and bring him in Film 7. Stop thinking the films are the books. They are adaptations, things will be changed to fit Harry’s overall story.

Avatar Image says:

My previous comment was directed at “will orwont”.

Avatar Image says:

Scrimgeaour may not be as important as other characters plot-wise but he has, in my humble opinion, a muh bigger role in making HBP a great story than repeated teenage romance scenes.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with you all, it’s stupid they are putting so much time and interest of the movie in the less important thing of the book (LavLav-Ron-Hermione) and they are not including the most important stuff of this story: Harry and Voldemort!!! It’s important Harry learns about Voldemort and the Horcruxes, it’s importnat his relationship with Dumbledore develops,Gaunts family is important too, Spane and Harry’s story, Harry and Ginny of course are very important in HBP. Why do they always have such a wrong priority scale in these movies?

Avatar Image says:

the cast for hp6 looks gd!!! does anyone know if there’ll be quidditch in this film? there better be!!!!! and they better give malfoy and belletrix more lines!!!!!! otherwise the film will be a disaster, well i can’t ever imagine that! but u know what i mean. GIVE THEM MORE LINES!!!

Avatar Image says:

Come on people, have a little faith. I would understand if they’ve cut bill and fleur. We’ve never even heard of bill in the movies and to suddenly let him turn up now, engaged with this french girl that we saw walking around in GOF. People who didn’t read the books would be like “what the hell, who are all these people!” Replace Bill and Fleur with Lupin and Tonks. They need the screentime if you ask me.

Avatar Image says:

Scrimmy isn’t exactly one of my favorite characters, but Harry needs SOMEONE to tell that he’s Dumbledore’s man through and through. That line was repeated twice, so I would conclude it’s a pretty improtant one to JKR. And will orwont, you mention the Carrows, and that also made me think about Greyback. I wonder who all will be on top of the Astronomy Tower? I think (no, I KNOW) it’s important to have Snape give Dumbledore a quick, painless death and save him from the savages of Greyback. Maybe it will be Bellatrix instead on the tower…I just wonder how they’ll do that. Thoughts? Or maybe they truly mean just that casting is complete, and they’re only giving us some of the list that might be missing even the new additions.

Avatar Image says:

They aren’t going to miss out Riddle’s background, indeed we know they are putting up an orphanage set, though of course they might prune or adapt bits of it. The Gaunt family itself isn’t that important provided they keep in the ring and the locket. But we all have different ideas as to what is important (for example you could claim that the Harry/Ginny plot thread really isn’t that important because although it matters to Harry, it doesn’t shape events very much), and I see a lot of people jumping to conclusions based on partial and incomplete evidence.

Avatar Image says:

I too hope that this is not a complete list. I was hoping that they would do the first chapter – they have to somehow note that Fudge is no longer Minister. It’s nice that they bring back the previous actors but I always hope that they do not cut them all aout. Such as Emma Thompson as Trelawny – even though it would be a short scene it would still be good to see the conversation between Trelawny and Harry when she lets slip that Snape was the one who passed info onto Voldy. I’m hoping Yates doesn’t not twist too much of the HPB tale when it comes to important scnes/sections, as he did with OoTP.

Avatar Image says:

Who ever asked about Colin, the kid who played him had a massive growth spurt and is I believe over 6 feet tall. He also, sadly, went goth. If you search his name Im sure you can find some of his goth myspace pics.

Avatar Image says:

Alan Rickman is the best person to play Snape and they are missing the Gaunts. They are a big part of understanding the movie. And you can’t forget about Scimgeour, Arthur Weasley, Bill Weasley,George and Fred. Come on you can’t disappoint us Harry Potter fans.

Avatar Image says:

...The sad thing is, I’m not looking forward to HBP, I’ll probably dislike it even more than I did the film of OotP, yet I’ll still spend money on it :/ I get the feeling they’re going to cut lots of Snape’s backstory and Horcrux-y-ness for OMG ROMANCE, which was NEVER the most important part of the books regardless of what fanfic tells us, despite all the things we now know. And if they replace Bill and Fleur with Lupin and Tonks I shall be distraught. Never liked her, never will.

And Dracoooooo

I really hope there are enough subtle emo hints… :(

Avatar Image says:

For sure, GinaC, the Carrows have to be on the astronomy tower because Snape needs all the independent witnesses he can get when he does in Dumbledore. Not just Draco and Greyback, and not Bellatrix either—she’s supposed to be in hiding, not showing her face at major incidents.

Lav-lav is only important for pushing Ron and Hermione together, and not even very important for that—a nice little digression, but nowhere near as important as the other new characters.

How can you cut out Scrimgeour and the Carrows and show how the wizarding world changes under the reign of Voldemort? Without these guys, there is no contrast to Dumbledore, no bigger picture, no sense of where Harry fits in his world. If Kloves wrote them out, he must be sacked immediately, and the producers shouldn’t dare count on us turning up on opening weekend just because it has the HP brand name on it. Just do it right, please—it’s been done before, we know it’s possible.

Avatar Image says:

WHERE IS BLAISE ZABINI?! HE must BE IN THE MOVIE! I will be SO upset if he’s not in it. I’m sick and tired of people portaying him in fanon instead of canon and everyone needs to see what he looks like. I hope he’s hot…

Avatar Image says:

I completel agree with whoever said that bella needs more lines and that Alan is the best at playing Snape. like many have said this can not be everyone. and they arnt going to go from a movie like OOTP to a HP movie with just kissing, there will be way more than that, I think we might have interpreted it wrong. If we wanted to watch a make out movie we could go to some porn sight.

Avatar Image says:

I love the name Hero, i’m totally naming my first kid or someone’s kid that name. It’s just too cool. I can’t wait to see what the two Riddles look like. I hope the teen one is HOTT! We need a new hearthrob in the movies to liven things up. But i can’t wait to see the movie. Too bad we have to wait a whole year for it to come out. I’m really excited about the new cinematographer too, they have a really important job. They’re responsible for the overall look of the film and how a scene is lit and all that technical stuff, so I really can’t wait to see what the new guy brings to the table.

Avatar Image says:

Nico, thanks for the “Colin” info…doesn’t quite explain why the character got cut back with PoA and since tho, does it? And as for being goth, that’s what the make up and costume crews are for…

I realize tho that there are very strict rules governing children who act, and I wonder if some of the changes we have seen among the ‘extra kids’ might not be attributable to those regulations (parental consent, grades, and so on).

just idle curiosity…again Nico, thanks for taking a moment to post

Avatar Image says:

- “How can you cut out Scrimgeour and the Carrows and show how the wizarding world changes under the reign of Voldemort? Without these guys, there is no contrast to Dumbledore, no bigger picture, no sense of where Harry fits in his world.”

I agree completly. “No bigger picture.” Indeed, another important thing that’s missing in these movies because of bad scriptwriting is the sense of epicness, of grandeur that you feel in the books. All the little lines or scenes that convey the scale of the story and help show the importance and consequences of what happens is cut. Therefore, each scene feels very disconnected from the rest and never reaches the required intensity that you want to feel, having read the book and loved said scene. For non-readers, they watch a series events unfold, but there is nothing of consequence. Even the most important scenes like Dumbledore’s escape in OotP were dealt with like any other scene: a camera moving around a group of people, and dialogue that is merely enough to say “Ministry wants to arrest Dumbledore; he escapes.” The scene is over and cut to a silent detention with Umbridge. I can’t blame the reviewers who called OotP a bland film. Why was the scene that great in the book? Because there was dialogue that made us feel the intensity of that moment and what it really means for Hogwarts, for Dumbledore’s position, for Harry, etc… We were shown the state of things at Hogwarts as a result of Dumbledore’s escape. There were little lines that underlined what Dumbledore being gone really meant. Examples: students saying ‘Dumbledore will be back before long.,” mention that Umbridge couldn’t get past the gargoyle, Fred and Heorge wanting to do “their bit for Dumbledore.” Very short lines, very easy to include in the movie and with a bit of editing, it can’t take that much screentime. But none of that was in the movie. They’re that good at immersing the audience into the story. By ‘they’ I mean the screenwriters. The directors are not to blame. Someone like Alphonso Cuaron was good enough to refine the script according to his vision. He’s a director who knows how to portray the state of things in any story. He uses that expression a lot. And he was able to do that with PoA to an extent. But the fault lies with the screenwriters, without question. They’re the ones who should retain the resonant lines and their job is to craft an intense movie that immerses audiences in all that happens, and make them feel the ‘epicness’. It’s up to the director to fulfill it, or destroy it. But it all starts wth the script. My hope is that they get a new screenwriter for the last movie. Someone who’s done some acclaimed work in the past. But I don’t see that happening. They will surely bring back Kloves or Goldenberg :(

AAAARGGHHH!

Alison. You are correct! totally must… have… train… scene… with… slytherin… compartment… and… Blaise! (andDraco) but no Pansy. (rotflmao)

Avatar Image says:

budb,according to Wiki.. Hugh Mitchell(Colin Creevey in CoS) acted as Dennis Creevey in OotP,so I guess they actually still him in the movie,but under a different character,goth or not.and this is absolutely OT but i was surprised to discover that Hugh Mitcell acted as the young Silas in The Da Vinci Code movie.

Avatar Image says:

I’m assuming there is now no Bill? I am hoping and praying that they don’t cut Shell Cottage from the last movie. I’m worried they are going to cut Bill and Fleur’s wedding and the cottage, and anything having to do with Bill out of the last movie because they aren’t introducing him at all. I really feel the last movie was waaaaaay too short and this is going to be the trend with Yates cutting a lot of things that add a heck of a lot to the story and don’t need to be cut—as in Gaunts. Chris Columbus may have made more kid-friendly movies, but at least they were longer and included more things!!

I’m worried about this movie already.

Write a Reply or Comment