Sotheby’s To Auction Original JK Rowling Sketch and More in December

Nov 17, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As reported previously, author J.K. Rowling will be auctioning off a hand-written copy of her special “Tales of Beedle the Bard“book for charity via Sotheby’s in London, England. The auction house has now added a few more items from J.K. Rowling that will be auctioned the same day, December 13, including this lovely original sketch by Jo. This pencil sketch was made originally by Jo for the for the BBC charity Children in Need in 1999. In the sketch, you can see Hagrid, Snape, Harry Ron Hermione, Professor McGonagall, along with Crookshanks, Dobby, the Sorting Hat, Fawkes, and a snitch. Estimates by Sothby’s put this 10,000”15,000 GBP range.

Also due to be auctioned the same morning is an ink and watercolour drawing of “Harry Potter in Conversation with Buckbeak the Hippogriff” by artist Cliff Wright. This item by the artist who designed the jacket art to the UK Children’s Editions of the Harry Potter novels, is “signed and dated in biro “Cliff Wright ’02″ in lower right corner, framed and glazed,” with estimates of “3,000”5,000 GBP.”

Finally available are autographed first edition copies of the earlier charity books written by Jo, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” and “Quidditch Through the Ages,” along with a signed set of four Deluxe editions of the first four Harry Potter novels.

A reminder that Sotheby’s does have a special deluxe 48 page catalogue available for the “Tales of the Beedle the Bard” book containing a message from Jo and images from the book, where proceeds from the sale will benefit The Children’s Voice charity. The actual handwritten book will soon go on display in London starting Sunday, December 9 at 10:00am before the actual auction on December 13, and this viewing is open to the public.

34 Responses to Sotheby’s To Auction Original JK Rowling Sketch and More in December

Avatar Image says:

I hope they can raise a lot of money for the charity.

I didn´t know JKR´s sketch, but it is lovely. Especially her Hermione is so sweet with her ‘rather large front teeth’. Endearing. But why is she blonde? Is JKR a seer? ;)

Avatar Image says:

I can’t believe she’s such a good artist, too!

Avatar Image says:

I can’t believe this JKR is such a good artist i hope it raises tons of money

Avatar Image says:

I do so hope that this does raise as much as possible for the “charity” . I am sure there will be many people wishing to “bid” for such a Unique item. Jo Has a great deal of thought for others, I am sure that we shall hear more news about the said book.

Avatar Image says:

Ah I would kill for that!

Avatar Image says:

I am so mad the publishers didn’t put Jo’s art with all the HP books! We have known all along it’s her vision of her characters,her illustrations of them are great.And she’s a great artist too! I will definetly buy the catalog. At least we can purchase that! :)

Avatar Image says:

your right, her own original artwork would have been amazing, as you say Debbie it is her world. I’m gonna start playing the national lottery to try and buy the lot!

Avatar Image says:

will anybody asist to the exposition? he/she could read a bit from the book and publish here later :)

Avatar Image says:

I’d kill for that! And also the Tales of Beedle the Bard!! What I’d do to have that book! One of a kind, with semi precous stones, embelished with silver, signed, handwritten, ahhh!!

Avatar Image says:

This is fantastic! Her Ron, Hermione, and McGonagall are exactly as I’ve always seen them in my head! (So are Harry and Dumbledore and Hagrid of course, but she decribes them so thoroughly, it’s hardly surprising)

Avatar Image says:

Anyone else notice that Snape seems to have a 5 o’clock shadow covering his chin there?

Dobby scares me…

Is that what she was meaning when she talks about Bickbeck? Uh oh… I was wrong.

... apprantly I do not change......

Aww that’s sweet! I hope everyone from the UK dug deep for Pudsey!!..x

Avatar Image says:

that’s a really lovely sketch. Debbie, I agree completely. I always thought it would’ve been nice if Jo herself had done the illustrations for the HP books; especially after looking at some of the ugly covers that depict Harry with a bloated face or the chapter art that makes him look like a ten year old when he’s 17. hehe that’s why Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch Throught the Ages was so enjoyable; I loved her illustrations and the “notes” by Harry and Ron.

Avatar Image says:

I love those pictures… I agree w/ practically everyone… Jo should have done the illustration for the books… it would have just fit but w/e. I am SOOO asking for the catalogue for Christmas!!! That is so cool… ahhhh im just happy that we can buy it as fans. So ya… yay!! I hope “we” are able to raise a lot of money because i have always admired Jo for giving so much to charity.

-HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

I wouldn’t want these drawings in the book…no offense to anyone, but they are rather childish drawings compared to Mary Grandpre, who I think is a far better artist.

Avatar Image says:

Pretty asuring that the characters as they are fixed on our mind by the Warner presentation, don’t differ that radical form the characters as Rowling had them in her mind.

Due to the Dutch release of DH, there was an interview with Rowling in the paper. She there said that she was very pleased with the movies, because they worked out figures more beautiful then in her mind.

Also the eyecolour discussion of Harry don’t bother her a lot. She says:” had either the choice of coloured contacts, very cumbersom for a little boy, change the eyecolor digital or leave it as it is ( blue) I am glad the choose the last”

Avatar Image says:

My new dream, although I know it will never happen, is to own the tales of beedle the bard… my old one was to meet Jo and get my DH signed, but that already happened! :) I’ve been waiting for a new HP dream to strike!! If only was rich and had 50k to spend!!

Avatar Image says:

I’ve always meant to comment on it, but Jo is really quite wonderful at drawing too.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, me too. I also LOVE the drawing JK made! Although, I’m glad Mary made them in the books … I think she’s better to tell the truth… What I’d do to get my hands on that book though, ;).

Avatar Image says:

Yeah I know… I was surprised how talented she is at drawing too.

Avatar Image says:

I wish I could go see the book in london at least.. too bad I live “across the pond” in the US!! sigh I want that book!! :)

Avatar Image says:

OOOOHHH! She’s a realy good artist! Oh! And look, it’s the real Harry and Ron and hermy! Look at hermy’s hair, how big it’s! Ah, damn the filmmakers!

Ah, well, this’s like a dream come true for me, I always wished she’d show us how her characters really look like, now I partially had my wish! I hope she’d do more of that, colored sketches, for them, by different age stages! Wow, I think I’m greedy, lol! I really wish they’d have used her to illustrate the HP books, all versions, UK (adults, kids), US.. all! Eh, maybe we can wish for a new edition of the HP books set with JK’s drawing? I’d buy them no matter how much they cost! ;-)

Avatar Image says:

Wouldn’t it be nice if they produced the book en masse, but cheaper, with some turquoise and quarts on the cover… Or if they just printed them, anything. I don’t know if I’ll get Sotheby’s catalogue. It seems to have none of the stories, just pictures.

Avatar Image says:

the characters almost exactly turned out how she drew them..

except snape doesn’t have the short beard ‘just-escaped-outta-azkaban’ look and hermione doesn’t have the weird teeth..

Avatar Image says:

I’m not going to get all excited about this. It’s something for the rich, not the everyday fans. You can own a piece of Potter, but it’ll cost ya’. Elitism is alive and well.

Avatar Image says:

Many of us posting on this topic in the past rather thought that there would be a mass release of Tales sometime, with the proceeds going to a charity like Comic Relief UK again. We’ll just need to be patient.

Given all the boxes of materials that JKR supposedly has, I’m sure we’ll all have items to add to our collections in the years ahead.

Avatar Image says:

I could see Beedle the Bard being part of the charity “encyclopedia”, as it would be a rather short book otherwise (the Sotheby’s website says circa 5,500 words, which is maybe 12 pages (assuming a very rough estimate of the number of words on a UK DH page).

Avatar Image says:

Just wondering whats in the catalogue?

Avatar Image says:

The Jo-drawn trio here really is the TRUE trio! You never see them depicted this way ever, despite it being true to the books. If there’s ever another HP adaptation (perhaps a huge BBC series, or HBO) I hope they go closer to the books with the characters, also in the general tone of the series. It will be many years before a TV series like this would happen though. And if it was ever attempted many parts would have to be cut or scaled down due to the limitations of TV! 6 hour-long episodes per book would be good.

Avatar Image says:

I’m loving the developments from this auction. I really want to buy the catalogue and I printed out the sketch as soon as I saw it and I’ve already speant about 10 mins just looking at all the little details!

Avatar Image says:

“Elitism is alive and well”

So is trolling, it seems.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I wondered how long it would take for the trolls to show up…

Avatar Image says:

Look at Snape’s line-of-sight in the drawing. His eyes are focused on the top of Harry’s head. Like lasers. Scary.

Write a Reply or Comment