Beedle the Bard, Up Close and Personal

113

Nov 21, 2007

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

Greetings from London, where today I had the great pleasure of visiting Sotheby’s and being granted a private audience with one of the precious seven copies of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. The charity copy was brought out to me wrapped in soft purple cloth, nestled in a special box from its jeweler.

The book is set for auction on December 13 at Sotheby’s, and Sotheby’s has printed a special catalog featuring it. Buying the catalog supports The Children’s Voice Charity; Leaky now has four extra copies of this book and will be conducting a special, short drive so that fans who want to support the effort, but can’t buy Beedle the Bard, can do so. More information on that will be available shortly.

The book is about 4×6”, and has the look of a diary. A Scottish jeweler has hand-wrought the silver pieces that adorn the item’s front; the four corners each have a tiny engraving of one of four illustrations: a foot, a fountain, a tree stump and a heart, representing each of four of the stories . The middle piece, the large silver skull, represents The Tale of the Three Brothers, the fifth story and the one featured in Deathly Hallows. A small silver clasp closes the book.

Each edition is also set with different types of stones; the charity edition is the moonstone one, which, Jo notes, is associated with “mothers, lovers and the power of dreams.” The gems look clear or bluish depending on the angle; as has been seen in pictures, a stone sits in each of the skull’s eye sockets and on each corner. The Deathly Hallows sign is not on the skull.

Inside the book, the pages are rough-edged and impressively illustrated; anyone who has seen Jo’s artistic handiwork knows her precise and playful style, and that’s present throughout. Where she makes personal comments, the pages are bordered in flowers and other flourishes. One page has a stone arch at the top, another has a shoe at the bottom – which I’ve been told play important roles in respective stories. The chapter illustrations are particularly beautiful; my favorites were the Fountain of Fair Fortunes, which looks as though it’s overflowing with something wispy and intangible, and the hairy heart, because, frankly, it was gross.

Some left-side blank pages feature a wand with all sorts of glitterati clouding its tip, as though in the middle of a particularly showy spell. The inscription thanks the would-be author and wishes him/her fair fortune. Once in awhile there’s a handwriting tick, such as in Jo capitalizing a word after first writing it lowercase, that makes the book yet more valuable.

I can now say with authority that the hardest thing to do in the presence of this unique item is to hold yourself back from drooling on it. I even experienced a momentary urge to grab it, finagle an impressive escape from Sotheby’s security, and disappear forever with the stories tucked under my arm. Of course, I wasn’t able to read the whole thing, though I easily would have sat and done so. What I did see gave the impression that these are, as expected, simple, elegant, playful stories that may not tell us more about Harry’s world but do inform the moral laws governing it.

The minority opinion I’ve seen on this book, which takes Jo to task for not making these stories immediately available to the public, is somewhat upsetting; this is a magnificent and special item that she didn’t have to create at all, nevermind offer up for charity. It will only raise more for charity since the contents are unknown. And the idea that the other six books will be in the hands of those who have held Harry most dear for the longest time is especially endearing.

The special Sotheby’s catalog about the book offers a new blurb from J.K. Rowling about the work, which says:

“So these wizarding fairy-tales have much in common with their muggle counterparts: they exist to express human hopes and fears, and to teach a lesson or two. There are, however, a few important differences: witches tend to save themselves, rather than waiting for a man to do it, and young wizards are warned, not against the dangers and temptations of the outside world, but of their own magical powers.”

You can buy the catalog here; proceeds benefit Children’s Voice. Again, Leaky has several copies and will be giving details about a special drive shortly.

The item is due to be auctioned on December 13, and as previously reported, will on display be at the New York’s Sotheby’s on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of the coming week. While available, children who visit it will receive badges that say that they have been among the lucky few to see it.

89 Responses to Beedle the Bard, Up Close and Personal

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I would love to go see this on display…

Avatar Image says:

You are so lucky!! Thank you for sharing the experience with us!!!

Avatar Image says:

I yearn for that book!!! Jo simply MUST make a widely-available copy, or I will have to resort to grand theft!

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone know who the other six people are who will receive copies of these books?

Avatar Image says:

so does leaky have 4 copies of the actual book or just the catalogue.

Avatar Image says:

just the catalogue its amazing melissa got see it! i really hope it raises loads

Avatar Image says:

We don’t know who the other 6 went to, but as they went to “those most closely connected to the Harry Potter books during the past 17 years” we can make some intelligent guesses. I expect Christopher Little and the two current editors (maybe also the original British editor) will get copies.

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!! You are like soooo lucky!! OMG !! I’m like spazing out!!! * DROOL!!! * LOL!! BRB

Avatar Image says:

Has anyone received their copy of the catalog yet?

Avatar Image says:

I’ve received mine; it is rather special. I expected something like a glossy magazine, what I got was a 7×5 stiff-card-backed book with Jo’s ink drawings on the front and back cover. Inside were 27 pages of cunningly angled photos of the book interior featuring illustrations or text and four pages showing the silver work process. The rest of the pages contained information about the charity, an article by an ex orphanage young person, a Foreword by Jo and a nice photo of her holding one of the copies of the book, and all the necessary information with regard to the auction and methods of payment. A very nice memento of a unique event.

Avatar Image says:

Melissa, thank you for becoming a Harry Potter fan—the fandom is much richer thanks to your contributions! I envy you for the special moments you’ve earned (i.e. meetings with Jo) and am so thankful you are a skilled journalist so that you can share it all with the rest of us.

Glad you didn’t drool on it. With my luck, I would’ve sneezed and caused the ink to run (ack!!).

Avatar Image says:

that’s great, I’ve ordered the catalogue. Something to look forward to, in the absence of enough money to bid on the original! I expect that once the book has sold a copy will be published eventually, maybe for charity like the comic relief ones.

Avatar Image says:

It is by no means certain that the stories will be published, but I do think they would fit into the much rumoured encyclopedia, though even if it was published separately, I do think selling a lot of cheap copies would raise more money for charity than one expensive one.

Avatar Image says:

As much as i want to read teh stories im kindof glad she’s not publishing the book for the public… I think those people who got the one-of-a-kind copies deserve to have that experiance.

Avatar Image says:

sorry i posted twice… my comoputer also posted before i was done so ya… I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your amazingly unique experiences with us fellow HP fans… its a lot of fun to read these posts that give us an inside look on what its like to actually get to… you know… do amazing Harry Potter stuff.

-HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

How I envy melissa and anyone else who will have the chance to see this book! Yes, like everyone else, I would wish that a copy of ‘Tales of Beedle The Bard’ could be produced for everyone. If not, oh well. I want the catalogue. It is just as special, to me…..[sigh] I love being a part of the whole Harry Potter adventure! *) Thank you, JKR and Thank you, TLC.

Avatar Image says:

Aww Melissa! How I envy you at this moment.. though, through all your years of loving the books, working on the website and being a devoted fan, it’s only right that a book should come into yours and The Leaky Cauldron’s hands.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, what an amazing moment for Melissa! I, too, was disappointed with the fans who criticized Jo’s decision to make this limited-edition book. I’m glad they were in the minority. It seems that all the initial responses were negative and I had to stop reading them.

This is a special, once-in-a-lifetime gift that the seven future owners are sure to treasure. I think that in, say, ten years she will have it typeset and published with a few illustrations and donate the proceeds to charity. But I certainly think that the people most closely involved with Harry Potter deserve a special gift that only Jo can give. And if some fiendishly rich person wants to buy the seventh copy for him/herself, more power to Jo for getting him/her to part with a substantial sum of money for a good cause!

Avatar Image says:

Melissa, you’ve been in contact in J.K.R., how come she hasn’t bequeathed a copy of that book to you? And you didn’t even take pics of the inside? eyes bulge

Avatar Image says:

hahahah i am NOT a worthy recipient of that book, that book is for those involved in Harry’s actual process. And i didnt take pics because security was nearby ;)

Avatar Image says:

Jo is so secretive. Anyone get the feeling that as a kid she was the painful one that ‘knew something you didnt’? But I know its for charity….grumble…grumble…

Avatar Image says:

I think it’s gotta be fairly obvious that she left a copy for each one of her children, right? and her sister and possibly either the guy who first took her on, and the best friend she modelled Ron after. That’s my guess, anyways.

Ummmm, people,

READ THE DEDICATION INSIDE DEATHLY HALLOWS!!!

“this dedication is split seven ways…” ..etc. I thinks that those might be the pnes who have been given the other six books. And the last one is for the fan with the moola.

IMHO

Sorry

Typing quickly is not my strong point, will try harder; hence typo’s.

Avatar Image says:

I’m jealous, hmp! Jo, don’t you know that this tortures me, or at least my curiousity does torture me. I want to have a copy of that book! Argh!

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Melissa, for sharing your account of this experience with us. Envious as we naturally feel, out of all of us fans you are one who truly deserves to have a glimpse of this treasure. You have worked so hard and contributed so much to the fandom.

“witches tend to save themselves, rather than waiting for a man to do it” – i’m sure Hermione appreciates that.

Avatar Image says:

I wonder who the other six copies are going to? I think it is a brilliant idea, seven unique books each set with seven different stones.

Avatar Image says:

Hi Melissa … must have been great to get the possibility to have a look at that book!!! I hope the six recipients/ friend of JK will cherish these xmas presents – I’m sure they will feel honoured. Only maybe … they don’t know yet if they are the “chosen ones” (haha) or/and it will be no longer a xmas surprise, looking at all the media attention … after finishing HP7 this summer I thought about what I (i mean, if I were in JKR’s shoes) would write next, and I decided I would write these Beedle Tales, and now they’re there and I fear I won’t ever know what the tales are about – but I desperately want to know it, because I love drawing illustrations (>go to the LeakyFanArt Galleries … “some late visitor” and you know what I mean) and I’d love to do some on Beedle’s Tales (apart from the one we already know). And that’s why I long to know the stories. I don’t have to own a copy, I just want to be able to once read it.

sigh

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Melissa for giving us such a vivid description of the book that had us salivating just reading it! You are truly lucky for seeing it so closely!

As for the complaints that J.K. Rowling has received for limiting the availability of this book, I am astounded that people can’t recognize the mere fact that J.K. Rowling is her own person and can do what she wants. If she wants to write something for a few select people, she can, and nothing can prevent it. For example, if she didn’t want to finish the Deathly Hallows and not publish it, ever, for her own wishes, I would have respected her desires. We should do the same here.

Besides, it is likely that we will see these stories recounted in a different form in the encyclopedia that she plans to release in the near or distant future. Just remain patient. The people who are enjoying these stories now, before we can, truly deserve this right for their hard work in carrying out this series.

Avatar Image says:

Hey, Melissa, I think YOU are important enough to recieve one of these copies. You’ve done so much for the entire Potter fandom! Thank you so much for sharing this truly unique exoerience with us all. Anyways, if I were in your position, I would have grabbed the book and made a run for it…heh.

Avatar Image says:

Anyone know what dates people can go see the book in the UK?

Avatar Image says:

Follow the “The Tales of Beedle the Bard” link in the main article to Sotheby’s which lists the dates (basically the 4 days before the auction).

DUMBLEDORE IS GAY!??!

Avatar Image says:

Ooo, now I wish I had not gone to London in May (although it was great), but planned my trip for December instead. I’ll just have to make do with the catalogue. Sigh.

BTW it’s a great idea to let proceeds of this catalogue go to the charity as well.

Avatar Image says:

personally i’m just wondering if a certain young actor will be bidding for it. or, at least his mum on his behalf.

Avatar Image says:

Its truly disgusting. This book should be available for the many; not the priviliged few billionaires of this world.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations Melissa on being allowed to see such a special book and thank you for sharing your story with us.

Jain….I would be surprised if Daniel didn’t bid on it! LOL

Avatar Image says:

We’ve all seen the photo of the cover page, artwork in blue ink…. what I’d really like to see is a photo of the closed book – with the jewels and silver we keep hearing so much about!

Anyone?

Beuller?

- M

Avatar Image says:

Omg you are sooooo lucky i would have loved to have been able to do that…thanks for sharing the experience with all of us!

Avatar Image says:

Maybe JK gave one to Steve at lexicon ;)

Avatar Image says:

Prof P, your senses of humor is as bad as mine…good one!

Thanks Melissa!

Does anyone know if I can buy the catalog and if they will send it to me? Because I live in Iceland so … :(

Avatar Image says:

I received my catalogue yesterday. It’s a special item in its own right and I shall treasure it.

I couldn’t agree more with Melissa’s sentiments about those people who are slating Jo for making these wonderful things. I, too, was appalled when I read the sorts of comments that were being made. One can only hope that they are being made by children who are not yet old enough to know better; sadly though I am fairly sure that assumption would be proved to be incorrect.

Avatar Image says:

I think it is cool that there are a limited number of copies of the book, but it seems in a way that Jo is sort of thumbing her nose at the rest of her fan population. Okay… that isn’t exactly what I mean, but still… It is maddening. I would like to think that Jo could make more money off of many fans buying a mainstream copy of this book than one luckily rich person buying the auctioned copy. (It’s pretty much my life’s dream to read Babbity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump!)

Avatar Image says:

Maybe JK gave one to Steve at lexicon ;) -is it sad that I burst out laughing after reading this? :P I really think I need a life outside of harry potter lol… just joking i dont need a life outside hp.

Avatar Image says:

Johanna Go to Leaky’s article by Melissa and scroll down to the word “here” in red. That is a link to Sotheby’s site and they are used to dealing with people from all over the world, and the catalogues are raising money for Jo’s charity.

Thanks Graymayne! :)

Avatar Image says:

hollyandphoenixfeather , Jo is not making money from this auction. It is going to charity. And why should she make available to the public? This is a gift for those involved in actually creating Harry Potter. No matter how passionate the fan base is, the fans do not actually create the books. And only she creates the story and the characters.

Besides, she gives us PLENTY. She allows most fan fiction, which others authors do not. She goes on tours, reads to huge audiences, and has signed thousands of books. We also get movies. She gives huge amounts of money to charity. I have no problem with her creating something special for a few people who have been instrumental to Harry Potter. More so even than the fans.

Avatar Image says:

“Maybe JK gave one to Steve at lexicon ;)”

Hahahahaha. Goodness this made me laugh!

Avatar Image says:

And so the odious worshipping of this woman persists. Unquestioning -hero worship -when, as here, money is the sole object; the real fans miss out again.

Avatar Image says:

And so the ill informed criticism persists. Jo isn’t making a penny out of these books, in fact it probably cost her a moderate amount of money to have them made, aside from all the time she put into making them. I think a lot of us expect the text of this book to be published a year or so down the line, maybe by itself, maybe as part of the encyclopedia, so we will probably get to read it at some point.

Avatar Image says:

“And so the odious worshiping of this woman persists. Unquestioning -hero worship -when, as here, money is the sole object; the real fans miss out again.”

I really don’t think this is the case. Many of us have thought about it, debated it, and come to a conclusion. You are of course free to come to your own. I for one strongly disagree with some of JKR’s decisions, either in text or on some of the political views she has hinted at.

To agree with someone who is successful is not unquestioning hero worship. Give us more credit than that please.

Avatar Image says:

well yes, money IS sole object here…for charity! Why do people so willingly forget that? If the tales were published they wouldn’t raise half as much, sheesh!

Avatar Image says:

Thank you so much Melissa definetly travelling down to London to see this. And as for those people who keep bitching about not seeing it, Im astounded do you have any idea the amount of money this will raise for so many unbelevably cruely treated children in this world. They have faced horrors we never shall, and the sale of this book is dedicated to them if anyone. And I cant think of a more worthier recipient

Avatar Image says:

Its the almost blind hero worship that I object to. I take it for granted that we all love the 7 books -Yes ? Fine.

But – things like the attack on the wonderful Lexicon (when they have utilised it) -show the author in the worst possible light. She could stop it -if she really wanted to. I am of the honest opinion that financal matters are now the ultimate concern of the author.

Another obvious example -As a wise poster said recently, when JKR was asked (during the Blue Peter iv on the very eve of the publication of book 7) the same question re Dumbledore and love that she received at Carnegie Hall -she fudged it, clearly sa as to not harm book sales.

Yet on this site- her pathetic attempt following Carnegie Hall to say “Well -no-one asked me before” – was received as if it was holy writ !

JKR has changed -and not for the better. Oh yes -I love her books -but not her Voldermort like cult.

Avatar Image says:

you are gross and wrong. Talk about blind worship, why do ‘t you READ. The lexicon case, the facts. She should be a lot more vicious and go after the site and teve. And yet she doesnot. You are clearly one of THEIR blind followers, which is ugh, much worse. Go elsewherei since you aren’t even the smallest fan.

Avatar Image says:

umm guys.. i really wanna read this book, and normally i would respect her decision to not publish this book if it really made so much money for charity. HOWEVER, if she published the book, so much more money would go to charity. If it REALLY was all for charity, she would just publish it.

Avatar Image says:

M Jones: Yes, Jo ducked the question in the Blue Peter, but that is hardly surprising, given the circumstances and because book 7 was so close. So, yes she was asked the question before, but the circumstances were very different. So it was a very minor mistake. The Lexicon issue is more tricky, I don’t think anyone is exactly happy with how this issue has ended up, but most of us, with hindsight, can at least understand the reasons why Jo and WB have acted this way, in particular because of some very good explanations of the legal issues involved on the forums.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you “richa” for installing a bit of reality into these proceedings. If JKR really wanted to raise as much money as possible for charity, she would have published the book.

She did’nt -end of story -Game,set, match !

As for the death eater like “ugh” above, wanting JKR to be even “more vicious” (her word)towards “Lexicon”, does this not really indicate why things aorund JKR have changed so much in recent times. She used to utlisse the Lexicon herself and gave it a site award. Warners used it in their DVDs.

Now – the green giant of money has corrupted her and she wants to destroy the poor guy.

As I said I love her books but the strange surgical enhancement of her changed appearance is as nothing to the terrible change in her personality.

Avatar Image says:

OK, I’m going to say this just once:

M. Jones, you have not only repeatedly and needlessly insulted JKRowling and others, you just called one of our users a death eater. One more post like this and you will be banned.

Same for everyone who feels like throwing insults around is the way to discuss. It’s really not.

Further, M. Jones, J.K. Rowling has said she hasn’t had surgical enhancements and if you want to say otherwise you’re going to have to show proof. And surely we’ve missed where you’ve stated the history of your long and detailed interaction with J.K. Rowling, not only to know, personally, her personality but how it’s changed over the years? Do not use Leaky to come here and spew uninformed insults. Be nice, or be gone.

Thanks to everyone who has managed to remain civil even in the face of such encouragement not to be.

Avatar Image says:

A fan site award doesn’t mean JKR should ignore the Lexicon’s blatant misuse of her copyright. And the Lexicon only claims they used it for the DVD. I don’t believe they did and won’t until there’s proof.

If JKR wanted to destroy “the poor guy” (hah, sure), the least thing she could have done would be to name him in the suit. He’s very noticeably absent! She also could havce gone after his site. Curiously she just goes after the publisher, and promsises all revenue from the suit to charity. Wow, what a monster.

Melissa

OK -I take your point re surgical enhancements and personality changes.

But surely my opening paragraph -which after all, is an opinion which is obviously held by numerous posters on this site, re ” if she wantedto maximise charitable earnings, she should simply have published the book on -say Dec 8 to maximiase the pre-Christmas sales.

Isn’t that a valid opinion. Yes -I belive in honest praise AND honest criticism. After all, this is called a forum where -presumably -some small dgree of disent and debate is allowed.

or am I mistaken ?

Avatar Image says:

M Jones, taht’s why I didn’t mention that bit. It’s a valid opinion, but that does not mean it’s one I agree with.

Firstly, she has never said that she will never publish the book. Secondly, she’s written two charity books and has designs on a third, more than 99.99999% of authors do, and something which she is under 0% obligation to do. Third, she is allowed to do what she likes, and I would feel the same way if I were her and it were my creation; when did fans decide they should appoint themselves the people to decide how she should act, nevermind spit on something that has zero negative intention? She wanted to give a gift to these six people – and had the thought, well, why don’t I do another one and give it to charity? Why are we judging that? Honestly? Why can’t we say, good on you, it’s a lot better than other people do. Do you SERIOUSLY think JKR is sitting in her house going, “Oh, look at all my silly fans, let me watch them suffer because they’ll never read this book?” Honestly, if I were her and saw this reaction I’d think the fans didn’t deserve to ever know what those 5,000ish words were. She wasn’t even under any obligation to publish books five, six, and seven – she certainly had enough money to be going on with for generations. But she said she would finish, and so did. It’s not like she hasn’t played by the rules – you do the work, you write something original, you get paid for it. She’s under NO obligation to share that money with charity, and yet she does it all over the place. And we’re here watching people tear her to bloody pieces over it.

Would she make more money if she published it for charity? Maybe. Maybe not; it’s about 30 real pages, probably, when typed, not exactly something you can sell for a regular amount, and maybe publishing again so soon is just a process she doesn’t want to go through? But most importantly? This is what she decided to do. When did we assume that doing something this way, this time, means she’s a terrible person? Because she hasn’t done it the way you would? She’s not you; she’s given a lot to charity; this is the way she’s doing it this time. Why are we ripping her apart? Why would you ever? What has she done to you?

And what is she getting out of doing this? More notoriety? That’s not humanly possible; it’s news when she adopts a dog, for pete’s sake. More money? No, it’s for charity, and at that, a charity she created.

I get that people want to read it. I want to read it too. I’ve seen it, and haven’t read it, you can imagine what a torture that is, to be so close and so far. But I really can’t stomach it when people decide that a genuine act of charity is otherwise just because they think so.

She has TONS of Harry Potter info we’ve never read and may never read – is she equally mean for talking about it liberally in interviews but not publishing all of it right now because fans want it? In the same way it’s argued this is a tease, so is that; there’s no guarantee it all will end up in her encyclopedia. It just seems people are using this as a convenient ledge from which to hurl insults, and it angers me, when it’s over an act of charity.

Avatar Image says:

Amen to that, Melissa. I agree 100%. Thanks for detailing your experience with the book. Did you get drool marks on it? That can only help it in auction! :o)

Avatar Image says:

I agree, the main purpose of the Beedle the Bard books were to say thank you to though most involved in the production of the books, without some of whom we probably wouldn’t have had the HP books to read in the first place. I also agree that it is far from clear that a mass release book would earn more money than this single book once the costs are taken into account, particularly as the maybe 4,800 unpublished words would fit onto not many more than 10 DH size pages. I am sure Jo also knows that many of her fans what to read the tales, so I am sure they will appear in some form, she might even do it for free (say the next 4 door openings on her website).

Avatar Image says:

Melissa, you’re so lucky to be able to do this. Thanks for telling us about it. You go, girl!

(your former roomie, Laurel

Avatar Image says:

Melissa i support your stance on this. ( And am green with envy over your chance to see that little book.)

I have an opinion on BtB and its possible publication and publicity.

Who remembered the existence of ‘The Children’s Voice’’ charity and its work (outside the fandom)? Certainly not me. It’s not a charity you hear alot about over here in the UK.

So perhaps -> she’s made these books, ‘there had to be seven’, so she had one to spare, so she thinks, I’ll do one for a charity auction.

She picks a charity she is particularily passionate about.

She thinks (or is told by her charity’s people); ’’Oh, look, this charity could do with some publicity’‘

Publicity not just for funds, but to publicise the charity's work and thereby make more of an effect on the governments of the countries where the charity has its focus; to give the charity itself more clout by passing on some of her celebrity, as well as money raised.

SO … She asked her rather brilliant PR people what would be the best way to do this.

And they come up with the Auction.

Now, a handwritten copy of something known to be unique in its own way and one of a set of only seven in existence, known to be very rare with no indication of plans to publish = Very valuable.

Whereas, a handwritten copy of something the rest of us can buy = probably not as valuable to a collector of rare things.

An auction of said valuable, rare object = MUCHO publicity for the charity.

AND some day, those stories WILL be released to us in some form. And why? SO the charity gets loads more money but more importantly (IMHO)....more PUBLICITY.

Ava B

PS The rudeness of some ‘fans’ is v interesting and most provocative, Undoubtedly intentionally so. Perhaps they are sharpening their wits (such as they are) for a future in political smear campaigns?

Melissa

We will have to agree to disagree about Rowling’s actions in restricting the area of readership of Beedle.

I have in fact said before that Leaky has provided a fantastic service for all readers of the Potter books. However, recently and, in particular, since the joint interview so graciously and benevolently granted by the great woman with yourself and Emerson immediately following the publication of Book 6, I have detected what I would call a quite startling lack of objectivity in the editorial tone taken by the moderators on the forum. Now -even the mildest dissent from the party line is ruthlessly quashed and it seems (at least to me) that anything that might even slightly upset the great woman is eliminated. No contrary opiinion is tolerated so we posters who like to feel that we are independent thinkers, have been turned into “non-persons.”

It all sounds rather familiar does it not ?

Avatar Image says:

hear hear to the last few comments! especially: “she is allowed to do what she likes… ; when did fans decide they should appoint themselves the people to decide how she should act.” Yes, I really don’t know why fans think that they own a celebrity actor or writer to the extent that they can dictate how they live their life and run their careers, but it seems a very common opinion these days!

This is a special gesture, to the charity and to those who JK wants to thank. The fact that it’s limited makes it all the more special and will raise potentially a lot of money for charity for that one book. Even the catalogue (I have my copy now) is raising money for charity, and it’s intriguing to see the odd sentence from one or two of the stories (I have been dying to read the BtB tales since reading DH). By the way, the Three Brothers tale has the DH sign on one of the three skulls that illustrate it.

This gesture doesn’t prevent the stories from being published in a cheaper all-inclusive format later on, again for charity if JK wants, and I am convinced we will get to see them sometime. Then again, if JK were to read some of these comments she’d have the right to turn around and say ‘up yours’ to that if she wanted, and I wouldn’t blame her!

It is just typical of people who have received such pleasure from JK’s writing for 10 years to now take it all for granted and throw insults at any gesture that might be seen to exclude them.

Avatar Image says:

when I said ‘last few comments’ I hadn’t seen the one just preceding my own!

Avatar Image says:

One of my favorite film moments is in Monty Python and the Holy Grail…remember the semi-autonomous commune? “Help, look, I’m being oppressed!”

For those who feel there is a sense of conformity in Leaky, the first suggestion I have is to construct sounder and more persausive arguments. When an argument is not based on available facts (or ignores them altogether) and is illogically constructed, then people will not be persauded and will probably rip your postings apart because they fail to meet those two criteria.

I’ve also stated my ‘best guess’ about the future of the Tales in previous related threads. I’m one that thinks its almost a certainty that the Tales will appear “sooner rather than later”. While roonwit (I believe?) and others suggest it might ultimately included in the Encyclopedia we all patiently await, I personally think we’ll see it sooner, perhaps in spring or summer 2008, with proceedings again going to charity. After a lot of thoughts I actually am leaning toward a ‘photostatic’ (for some reason i simply cannot find the word i want in memory, but i hope my meaning is clear?) copy of JKR’s handwriting and illustrations, in both paperback and hardcover. While it would be easiest perhaps to have a printed cover with ink gemstones and the like, I personally like the idea of a battered looking cover, representing Dumbledore’s personal copy, and with a preface by Hermoine Jane Granger. Everything JKR has done to date suggests to me that it is highly probable that she will authorize a mass edition with proceeds for charity. Absolute certainty? Of course not…highly probable, yes, the available facts suggest so.

Since none of us know with absolute certainty, why don’t we all kick back, eat leftovers (if in the US), and wait patiently to find out?

Avatar Image says:

M Jones, your opinion is not being quashed at all, dislike my deep dislike for and disagreement with what you believe. You’re being publicly disagreed with. To say you’re being quashed on a board where you are publicly disagreeing with those whom you deem authority figures is something akin to running through the street shouting, “My voice has been cut out!” You may believe it has, but all evidence to the contrary, right? :) I’ve only ever threatened to ban for the insulting, and as close as you’ve come since you’ve shown respect to that and so you are not in danger of it.

As for the forum, there are at least two Lounge threads I’m monitoring for very obvious reasons, having to do with the Lexicon suit. And in those threads there’s been agreement and disagreement on both sides, insults thrown on both sides, and exactly that which you claim is being deleted is and always has been quite evident. The only moderator actions there have been when a mod steps in to ask people to tone the volume down a little, lest we get into useless name-calling, and once when posting of a private email (which it may interest you would have helped the JKR/WB side) posed privacy issues. The email was taken off the board.

So, again, I say to you, offer proof. I’m willing to believe what you’re saying is true but only if you have proof that cannot be refuted, and which cancels out the evidence I have.

Another small point I want to mention: You’ll not notice me questioning the origin of your opinion in this matter. I could come up with all sorts of slimy reasons you’re against JKR: disappointed H/Her? Remus/Tonks lover? Frustrated and jealous author? Former friend of hers gone sour? Someone who hates English people living in Scotland (and their little dogs too)? But I have not assigned you any of these things. I am someone who has spent seven years in this fandom and has had all manner of time and evidence with which to make an informed opinion about the author of the Harry Potter books. Ascribing my unwillingness to think her foul to some blind devotion is an insult, and an attempt to say that my will is not informed or my own. It is, on both counts. I won’t assume about you, and I think that you would do well not to assume about me or any other fans. We’re all capable and thinking individuals with the right to make up our own minds. We won’t call you a blind, thoughtless hater of JKR, and you won’t call us a blind, thoughtless lover of JKR, and we’ll be at the very least on more even footing. That’s something I won’t defend again, and so if it becomes part of this argument again it will go unanswered.

Thanks, all, who are keeping it civil, and have a wonderful day!

Avatar Image says:

PS, typos: the first “dislike” is meant to be “despite.”

Still travelling, Melissa?

If it matters -

1 – I am not a former spurned friend of Jo Rowling. Far from it actually. I have met her on more than a few occasions, although it has been about five years or so since those times -ie -drinks parties, book launches, industry dos -“Writer and Artists Yearbook”, research etc… and the like.

So -in other words, I have no personal animosity towards her and to be frank, there is one comment in my previous post (the controversaial one) that I really should be ashamed of -and am.

2-BUT -I am a type prone to the contrary (Like Jo was herself actually in former years) and perhaps I did go in too heavy.

Anyway -the one thing I have never criticised is her brilliant achievement with the Potter books. Her sub-creation in particular, is on the same level as Conan-Doyle and Tolkien -and she will be read perpetually.

Having said that – if you do not mind, continue to expect occasionally contrary points of view from me -IF I really do think there is something worth criticising -as I do with this Beedle business.

Avatar Image says:

What I REALLY dfo not understand is why sometimes, the forum typeset seems to ave a mind of its own. The minute font above actually said -

” There was something in my original post (the controversial one) about which I am rather ashamed and I deserved the slap I received from Melissa….”

I then returned to my normal combative self !

Avatar Image says:

M Jones, I don’t get that either. We also have things striking themselves out, and it’s weird.

I’m sorry if you feel I slapped. I only butt in around here when I feel the insulting reaches a level at which we dare to tip into the territory embraced by … some other places.

So, we’re just back to agreeing to disagree. :) It just comes down to a choice, then, I guess, between believing what she’s doing isn’t mean spirited and believing what she’s doing is. And yes, we welcome and encourage the contrary points, as long as they don’t express themselves in unalloyed hatred and insults.

Budb, I’m back now, thanks for asking. I got back just in time for Thanksgiving. Beedle isn’t why I traveled over there but it certainly was a nice surprise!

Avatar Image says:

Then welcome back, Melissa! Tho…I must admit …I had hopes you had secretly gone north to Scotland to interview JKR, resulting in an outpouring of details for us to drool about…and possibly collect your copy of the Tales as well ;-)

Avatar Image says:

I think the weird formatting is due to ordinary characters being interpreted as typesetting commands. From what I have seen I believe a comment between a pair of dashes causes strike through, maybe like this .

Avatar Image says:

All great authors have works that they only publish to themselves or to their friends. Heck there are authors whose greatest works were never made available to the public. Authors are not by any means obligated to publish all of their works.

The people who attack Jo about this are probably people who already dislike Jo in the first place. Whether its about the gay thing, or the lexicon thing or whatever grudge they may have on Jo.

As a gift, this is probably one of the best an author can give so props to her. It probably grates some fans that some rich kid or book collector is probably gonna get a copy.

Yes -guilty as charged.

It does grate with me that some rich kid o book collector is getting something I’d rather the real fans having.

Oh well…...

Avatar Image says:

M Jones, I really am baffled, and I am being sincere. I just don’t understand your position. you’re too smart to be just pouting, and too close an observer of the HP world (i have seen and read your posts on other topics, after all) to be visiting just to be annoying.

So, what are you seeing that I am not?

Avatar Image says:

budb -You are in danger of allowing my ego to run riot when you ask me for a direct opinion !

But seriously -I am glad that you realise that I LOVE both the books and indeed, Leaky, although I feel I have detetced a slight but still perceptable change in the tone of Leaky since -as I have saidbefore, the Emerson/Melissa interview. Now, I could be wrong about this, but has inceeased personal access to JKR provoked a slight decrease in editorial independence ?

But let me tell you what I am VERY angry about- The films. Oh yes, I enjoy them -which Potter fan can say that they don’t ? But they could have been so much better if they had cared enough to follow the example set by Peter Jackson and New Line with their Lord Of the Rings project.

There -the three films were released in consecutive Decembers mainly due to a continuous principle photography shoot. Each Easter -a DVD of the cinema release was released -Then -glory of glories -came the extnded DVDs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These were mainly for di-hard fans but they were incredibly successful financially for New Line.

The earliest Potter films could obviously not do this due to the ages of the principles -but why on earth can’t the last three films have been done like that !! The last two books could -and should be 3 films.

In any event extended DVDs -about which NOTHING official has ever been said could have been produced -if they really cared and respected the source product.

I believe they (Warners) do not care about the books and the fans -as much as they should. They see them as “children’s books” -hence -lets get a quick buck…...

End of today’s rant.

Avatar Image says:

Well, M Jones, i’ve gone off on rants on the films and WB as a corporate entity at times as well, usually in threads concerning the films tho. I too keep hoping for a secret extended version but, we’ll see. I am already saddened by the thought that its highly unlikely i’ll be around to see the re-make of the HP films in 20-30 yrs…tho Radcliffe might want to consider palying Sanpe as the real juicey role? But, that fun discussion belongs elsewhere, apologies for going off topic folks….

As for your view that there’s a shift in Leaky, we’ll just agree to disagree as well. as i see the situation, Leaky has in recent months been put into a position where a very scrupulous silence has to be maintained on specific topics that have legal implications. so, we get the announcements of those events as the unfold, and probably are informed faster and better than most fans—but Leaky and its individual staff members are acting with absolute appropriateness in remaining silent. Again tho, apologies to others for wandering off topic.

If i may narrow my question, do you think that the tales will appear, sooner, later, or not at all? that really is what i was trying to grasp, your position on Tales…

Avatar Image says:

The Tales ?...of course they will be published widely. . I would like to be as certain of winning the lottery ! And to be fair to her (shock, horror!) , I think JKR will insist that they are published so that he real fans can get access.

Avatar Image says:

Just to, uh, make a quick comment about editorial independence… “access to JKR” was really that one interview, you know? It’s not like we call each other up and have tea weekly. Things proceeded as usual before and after. We had now spent some time together. If there is a fault line there, it’s in that we as people are less quick to judge those with whom we’ve spent time and liked. I think that’s true of most people. So if that time meant that we have held our hand for just a few seconds longer than most other people would, well, then, we’ll own to that fully because it’s caution offered in good faith. We’ve never hid anything integral to a story, or failed to ask the question that’s most important to fans in favor of the one that would make us most favored to the “powers that be.” And if you want proof of that, you only need to look back on the Emma Watson photoshopping matter. We spoke rather candidly against WB then, and tomorrow if faced with an issue that gave us the same pause, would do the same. So long as we weren’t interfering in a legal matter.

So, yah. I see what you’re saying, M Jones, but it’s an increased sense of caution and respect that happens whenever you start to know anyone. It’s human, it’s what we do. But whatever information we had or did not have, about any issue, is the same before the interview as after. If forced to choose, I’d be very happy to be erring on the more cautious and respectful side instead of the other. :)

Avatar Image says:

You’re a class act and quite a good politican as well, Melissa !

Avatar Image says:

I’ll choose to take the latter part of that as a compliment, M Jones, LOL. Thanks.

Avatar Image says:

I am just taking a guess here, but it would make most sense to me that the seven books are going to:

1) Neil 2) Jessica 3) David 4) Kenzie 5) Di 6) Anne 7) Us (“You”) – the auctioned book

These are the same people that Jo dedicated “Deathly Hallows” to. It seems that although she is evil in no way that her heart has been divided in seven ways, just as Voldemort supposed his soul to be.

Write a Reply or Comment