Entertainment Weekly Names J.K. Rowling “Entertainer of the Year”

110

Nov 23, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Entertainment Weekly has named J.K. Rowling their “Entertainer of the Year” for 2007 (cover of new issue with JKR, here).The magazine says the reason they selected the Harry Potter author as their top entertainer was “because she did something very, very hard, and she did it very, very well, thus pleasing hundreds of millions of children and adults very, very much. In an era of videogame consoles, online multiplayer ”environments,” and tinier-is-better mobisodes, minisodes, and webisodes, she got people to tote around her big, fat old-fashioned printed-on-paper books as if they were the hottest new entertainment devices on the planet.”

Praising the timelessness of our favorite author’s works, the article continues:

“As it turns out, the Harry Potter books are much richer than their progression from lightness to darkness, from childhood to adulthood, from the episodic simplicity of chapter-books to the heft and sweep of epic novels, and in their constant, book-by-book recalibration of what their readers were prepared to absorb, they’ve proven unlike anything else in a century of children’s literature. Can there be any remaining doubt that Rowling meant every word when she said, some time back, that she planned every aspect of her story ”so carefully I sometimes feel as though my brain is going to explode”? The planning clearly paid off, not only in the blossoming of the books into a worldwide cross-cultural phenomenon but in the widespread declarations that greeted the July publication of volume 7, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, that Rowling had created something timeless, a tale that children would read 25 and 50 years from now.”

Rowling’s writing is distinguished by its great and sustained generosity ” toward her readers and her characters ” and the books she spent so long creating are entertaining enough to satisfy anybody who reads them in order to flee the cares of the everyday world, even if what looks like a chance to disapparate ultimately lands us in a universe very much like the one we were trying to escape. As odd as it may sound, Rowling is a realist. Even when the incantations are flying (not to mention the people), she stays focused on the humanness of what she’s writing about: the cost of pride and stubbornness and vanity, the toll of living in fear, the ache of loss, the search for home, the pain of holding a lifelong secret, the need to be loved, the quest to find out who you truly are.”

Hear hear! The new issue of “Entertainment Weekly” featuring JKR on the cover will be on newsstands this weekend.

53 Responses to Entertainment Weekly Names J.K. Rowling “Entertainer of the Year”

Avatar Image says:

Yeah just saw this on tv. And I do agree : Anyone who can get tons of people to lug around a huge book deserves this and much more.

I did NOT - however- agree with a couple of other of their choices.

Avatar Image says:

Congrats, Jo – nobody deserves this more than you!

Avatar Image says:

Aw! Congrats Jo. In fact it just occured to me that, with all the HP magazine covers that I’ve seen over the years, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with JKR on it… so it’s about time! :)

Avatar Image says:

Finally they get it! This is what we have always known about J. K. Rowling’s work. It has been a wonderful, stimulating and magical experience following Harry & Co through their growing pains and their adventures. The bonus has been discovering fellow enthusiasts on line and making new friends across the globe. Well done, Jo, we, who are about to re-read for the umpteenth time, salute you!

Avatar Image says:

I’d call this Jo’s biggest/ most popular award or title shes ever got. congrats!

Avatar Image says:

Fantastic! So nice to see Jo’s work recognised like this! Truely deserved! Congrats Jo!

Avatar Image says:

........and the Hits just keep on comin’! Way to go, JKR. As Greymane put it, “Well done, Jo. We, who are about to re-read for the umpteenth time, salute you! To paraphrase another “source” “Nobody it better!”

Avatar Image says:

Hooray! Congratulations to Jo. As others have said, nobody deserves it more.

Avatar Image says:

Hi, does anyone know if Entertainment Weekly is available in the UK?

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations Jo! I couldn’t agree more with what everyone has said. What an amazing woman to allow us to ride along with her on this magic train ride!!

Understatement: well deserved.

Next stop: Time Magazine’s Person of the Year!

Avatar Image says:

Money ALWAYS talks in Hollywood. Thank goodness, Hollywood saw more than money and J. K. Rowling deserved it. Great distillation of the entire article by Sue, too.

Avatar Image says:

Well, we cannot say we’re bored with her. Carnegie Hall revelations and all the rest… She’s really entertainer of the year.

Avatar Image says:

I really like the illustration. Well done Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Yesyesyes ♥ So deserved!! Does anyone know if this magazine is sold in the UK? I’d lurrrve to have a magazine with her on the front; in fact if I got hold of it I’ll pin it on my noticeboard _

Avatar Image says:

Entertainment Weekly has finally got something right!

I’m so happy for Jo that I can’t even explain! Why did i get tears in my eyes reading this?

Love to all!

Avatar Image says:

Way to go Jo! I agree, Time’s Person of the Year next!

Avatar Image says:

congrats jo! really glad they came around and finally gave u the credit for making such a huge difference throughout the world… i mean come on! Could anyone else bring up the literacy rate of the entire world?? YAY JO!! Im so glad that they chose u! You deserve it!

-HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

I love you Jo ! Thank you so much for everything, what a great article, very emotional you deserve it :) You’re such an excellent role model for anyone.

Avatar Image says:

All I can say is: she MORE THAN deserves it. And as Accio Pint! said, that’s an understatement. Great job to J.K. Rowling!

Avatar Image says:

What a wonderful, insightful, and eloquent article. Kudos to Mark Harris.

(Although I think Stephen Fry also qualifies as having documented proof that he read every word of the series. :-) )

Avatar Image says:

I agree, nothing has had this effect in my memory, WELL DONE.

Avatar Image says:

Congrats to JK Rowling! Not to mention the cover picture is absolutely fabulous…

Avatar Image says:

Woot, Woot! Congratulations, Jo. You deserve it. I certainly felt immensely entertained this year by you, and I am not alone. :)

Avatar Image says:

The illustration accompanying the article is totally badass. Loves it. Go Jo!

Avatar Image says:

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! Finally, such a truly exceptional and lovely person who has brought hundreds of hours of happiness into our lives is recognized! Congratulations Jo – You are the best! WE LOVE YOU!

Avatar Image says:

Is there some sort of Reading Magazine? I’m gonna go look, on Google! Can we vote on Time’s Person Of The Year????? I know who I’D vote for!!! JKR, forever! WHOO HOO!

Avatar Image says:

That was a nice little article too. Good for Jo!

Avatar Image says:

So well deserved! Finally a magazine gets it! Congrats Jo!

Avatar Image says:

I’m not saying Jo doesn’t deserve the recognition, but I seriously DO have the doubt the she planned everything out.

Avatar Image says:

This is absolutely fantastic! Hooray for Jo! It’s so true that in the age of technology and mini everything that we all turned to a big old fashioned book. It’s wonderful! Congrats Jo!

Congrats for Jo !!! _

;*I’m so happy people FINALLY realize that books are VERY entertaining !! ESPP Harry Potter ! :)

Avatar Image says:

I am 48 years old and can only remember twice whooping out loud while reading a book and they were both Harry Potter (Professor McGonagall’s “qualifed teacher” statement to Umbridge in Order of the Phoenix and Mrs. Weasley’s exclamation at the end of Deathly Hallows). I totally congradulate Jo on an honor well deserved.

Avatar Image says:

“J.K. Rowling is our Entertainer of the Year because she did something very, very hard, and she did it very, very well…”

Exactly.

Avatar Image says:

Entertainer of the century if you ask me! It’s wonderful to see her get the recognition she so richly deserves. Thanks Jo for the wonderful books that we will read again and again.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, I forgot to add in my comment.

BRAVO JO!!!!!!!!!!YOU MORE THAN DESERVE THIS!

Avatar Image says:

Yayness! I hope she won ‘person of the year’ on Time Magazine as well! Yeehaw!

Avatar Image says:

If they had separated the trio instead of lumping them into one, there’s a chance that Dan or Emma could beat Rowling as entertainer of the year. I’m just glad they gave Zac some token award because he was also lumped among the Disney kids. But if this “award” is decided by the staff of EW, I can understand why they chose JKR.

Avatar Image says:

I am so glad she won this award, and is on the cover of this magazine for two reasons:

1. She TOTALLY deserves it.

2. My mother will have to look at this every time she goes to the grocery store. (She has refused to read the books or even watch the movies because her church has banned them.)

I just want everyone to know how wonderful Jo’s books are, and to enjoy them as much as I have. Any prizes and awards and adulation are all due her, and I applaud her as loudly as the entire Great Hall full of Hogwarts students when Hagrid came back from Azkaban!

WHOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

- M

Avatar Image says:

Jo should earn the Nobel Peace Prize in my opinion, if ever someone could bring together the disparate portions of the world, she is the one! Finally the “news” gets it…kinda like the Daily Prophet, wouldn’t you say? Only in the real world, its the “Daily Profit!”

Avatar Image says:

Entertanment Weekly wrote a very lovely article about Jo Rowling in their website. Fantastic conglomeration of all her achievements since the publication of the first HP book.

And they did credit other people in the HP world. EW calls them the “supporting players in this, the ultimate year of Potter”. These are: 1. audiobook master Jim Dale 2. producer David Heyman (who has managed the rare feat of making a movie series that has improved with time) 3. Daniel Radcliffe (who has turned out to be as creditable an embodiment of Harry as anyone could wish)

Gives you a warm feeling as an HP fan…

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to Jo Rowling! We love you! Take THAT, naysayers! I can’t wait to get the magazine. If you are in the UK and need help getting a copy, feel free to let me know. Hugs to all:)

Avatar Image says:

Bianca, agree with you. Jo definitely deserves the title of Entertainer of the Year. It’s unbelievable how there are some people who think HP is/will not be a classic that stands up to time. It’s too bad that the Stephen Fry wasn’t nominated along with his american counterpart, but this was after all an american publication. I’m happy that they recognized David Heyman and Dan for all they do too. The list was pretty fair too, when you look at the list of what the winners accomplished in this past year. Well done.

Avatar Image says:

So pleased to see this. Will definitely be picking up a copy. :)

Avatar Image says:

This really is a significant award for the world of literature. And what a great tribute to JK’s achievement and acute analysis of what her stories convey.

Avatar Image says:

Kiwi Mc and Becca, I live in London and often visit Oxford News on Oxford street to buy American Mags, I recall Entertainment Weekly was amongst the shelves but I never bought one. So if you guys live in London that’s where to go. Plus HMV at the Plaza, which is further down Oxford Street also sells American entertainment Mags. A longer shot would be Forbidden Planet not far from Oxford street but they mainly have US film mags. Or maybe WH Smiths at Heathrow Airport (go to a terminal which has more US flights, I think Terminal 1,3)

Avatar Image says:

Congrats to Melissa Anelli for her quote in EW, on the side bar about ‘The Tales of Beedle the Bard’ books!

Avatar Image says:

I love this article and the cover. She absolutely deserved this!

CONGRATULATIONS JO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I love Harry Potter! I read all the books but it’s so sad Harry Potter is ending, I never want to finish Deathly Hallows, it’s a great book, but I know I’ll cry at the end!!

Avatar Image says:

oh, wow. well deserved, and quite the well written article. yay. :)

Avatar Image says:

Beautifully done, Entertainment Weekly!

The Harry Potter series is an instant classic, a juggernaut of mammoth proportions – and we get to witness it! How lucky we all are to see this in our lifetimes!

Congratulations Jo! So well deserved!

Avatar Image says:

That’s a very sweet picture of Jo, isn’t it?

Write a Reply or Comment