A League of their Own: Quidditch and US Colleges

112

Nov 27, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

We have a fun bit of news for you, as the USA Today has a lengthy feature on the rise in popularity of Quidditch at colleges here in the States. Focusing on the team at Middlebury College, the paper notes the college saw an “Intercollegiate Quidditch World Cup Fall Festival” complete with “banners, team processions worthy of Olympic opening ceremonies, halftime entertainment and 12 seven-person coed Middlebury teams vying for the chance to play the visiting team from Vassar College.” The outcome ? “Middlebury’s Mollywobbles defeated Vassar for the championship. A bit of a rout, really. Vassar never scored.”

While many Harry Potter fans have long played the magical game at conventions, various release parties, even a few schools, the sport is becoming more accepted at more mainstream universities, as Quidditch is now being played at “Bucknell University, Tulane, Oberlin, Washington state’s Whitman College and Vermont’s Marlboro College, where the Golden Snitch is not a human but a toy helicopter. (It has to be caught before it hits the ground.)”

Parents who are paying $46,910 a year to send their children to Middlebury say it’s worth the price. “Given some of the alternatives out there, this is a good way to relax,” says Michael Free of suburban Philadelphia, who, with his wife, Sharon, came to the World Cup games to cheer on their son Christopher, a sophomore in conservation biology. Christopher, 19, was a co-captain of champion Mollywobbles, and his parents couldn’t have been prouder. “There are a lot of worse things he could be doing,” his dad says.

Saxon Elliott of Northampton, Mass., mother of freshman Conrad Schott, 18, who headed up the Vassar Quidditch team, agrees.”I sent him off to Vassar, and never once did I realize he would ascend to such greatness,” she says with a laugh. She made the pink capes worn by the New York team. (All Quidditch teams wear capes.)”

Noting that there is even a Facebook group for the Wizarding sport (The Intercollegiate Quidditch Association, which has more than 600 members (middlebury.facebook.com/ group.php?gid=2220478706), administrators are hopeful they will eventually get a proper Quidditch league of their own here in the Muggle world.

“Benepe hopes to have more colleges participating next year, planning an aggressive recruiting campaign in the spring.”My vision is to get a couple vanloads of Middlebury players, all of the necessary equipment and Snitch runners, and travel to four to five colleges in the Northeast and get some games going,” he says.” Colgate, Williams and Amherst are on the list.”I think watching Quidditch in real life will really inspire a lot of people so that by next fall, we can have at least five experienced and game-ready colleges.”

Finally,TLC reader hobbitfoot also sent us an article about Quidditch at the University of Georgia, which you can read here. Thanks to everyone who emailed!

33 Responses to A League of their Own: Quidditch and US Colleges

Awesome! I wanna play!

Avatar Image says:

There’s also an awesome Quidditch team at the University of Georgia! Go Go Gryffindor!!

Avatar Image says:

That’s amazing that someone could come up with a non-magical version like that…though without all the flying, I think it makes it a different sport in my opinion. :)

Avatar Image says:

Is this article a joke?! I could have sworn that it was from the onion!

Avatar Image says:

We play Quidditch here at Millikin University too. I love how it’s becoming a big thing at colleges. Quidditch rocks!

Avatar Image says:

Now something else to consider in selecting the college you want to apply to. Does it have a Quidditch team? Oh the pressure to decide…..

Avatar Image says:

Yes Sir! Quidditch is taking over the world! This article makes me wanna go to one of those universities so much!

Avatar Image says:

Impossible. I mean really, the rules of scoring for quidditch seemed to be so freaking weird to me. Catching the snitch gives you 150 points? Why bother with the quaffle? A team would have to score fifteen to zero in order to tie the opposing team having a faster seeker. The chasers are mere entertainers keeping the audience busy until the snitch appears.

It’s OK if it’s only for fun and laughs. Do they run with a broom between their legs? That’s got to be uncomfortable yet very funny to watch.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I need to see video of this. I don’t see how this would work. I mean I guess it does, since a lot of people are playing it, but a person as the snitch? Unless you’re playing on a wooded field the size of a football field (U.S. football, that is) I don’t see it working.

The snitch as a RC helicopter (or car) might work better, but still.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Addendum to above post: there ARE videos of this on YouTube. (Of course there would be – there’s videos of EVERYTHING on YouTube).

Anycrap, search for Muggle Quidditch and some pops up. There’s also footoge of ‘Water Quidditch’ from Lumos 2006.

It can probably be summed up by the quote given in the description of one of them, ‘God bless Theatre majors playing sports!’

Avatar Image says:

The University of Evansville also has a Quidditch Club. There’s an article about it here http://www.evansvilleliving.com/currentissue/mar2007/feature3.html

I’ve played a version of Quidditch on the ground, and it’s a TON of fun, though VERY tiring. Our version is sort of a mix between basketball, dodgeball, and keep-away. It’s very…interesting.

Avatar Image says:

We play on campus sometimes as well.

We designate a person as the “snitch,” who runs around the “pitch” and has to be caught by the “seeker.”

We then run around with brooms between our legs while trying to get the “bludger” through the opposite teams hoops, and we have quite a bit of fun in doing so.

Avatar Image says:

Oh this looks like sooooo much fun! I want to play! Why couldn’t there have been a team at Penn State when I was there? Maybe the alumni will start one :-) Then I could have been a part of a famous Penn State University athletics team hmmm.. the Nittany Wizards has a nice ring to it!

Avatar Image says:

I wish there were more Potter fans at my university. This is an amazing idea! Great job guys!

Avatar Image says:

This is too funny. I live 5 minutes from Vassar College. I have to check this out!

Avatar Image says:

This is so cool, I really hope it spreads. I played Quidditch at Wrockstock and it was soo much fun!! It really does make a great sport, at least the way we played it. I’d love to play it more.

Avatar Image says:

We play Quidditch on Sunday afternoons in the metro Phoenix East Valley. We usually have enough people for two under 13 teams and two over 13 teams. Anybody in the area is welcome to join us!

We are QUAPhLE (Quidditch Union of Arizona, Phoenix League East). You can check out our schedule at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/QUAPhLE/

And, for those of you who are curious, the pitch is magically enchanted so that the muggles just think we are running around on the ground rather than flying on our brooms.

Avatar Image says:

I can see a quick runner being the snitch as long as the seekers have a broom between their legs. That would make it more difficult and pretty funny indeed. Oh, and I’d love to be a beater in a Quidditch game. I just loved dodgeball when I was a kid.

Avatar Image says:

If people want to see how it is played, there is a great video on youtube…

Avatar Image says:

I wanna play! my grand father literaly while the page was loading called me and said he saw it in the paper

Avatar Image says:

That is freakin’ amazing!!! squeels with joy I totally have to get all my friends together and play that!! Wow i cant wait for college… ;)

-HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

Haha wow! My college is very close to Vassar (near Poughkeepsie, NY), I should try to check this out.

Avatar Image says:

Millikin University plays Quidditch too?! It’s in Decatur, IL, right? I thought about going there last year, after I finish community college, but tey seemed too expensive, so I leaned towards Eureka instead. I might have to give it a second thought if they have a Quidditch team! lol.

Avatar Image says:

This is seriously the most brilliant thing I’ve ever heard. My sister went to Vassar last year (but this year she’s going to the University of Edinburgh) and she could have played on the Quidditch team!

Avatar Image says:

I’d like to give a shout out to the Elon University Quidditch Club, Quidditch Under the Oaks, and the best team of all, Slytherpuff! Whoop whoop!

Avatar Image says:

No it’s not a joke. I go to Vassar and everyone here was ridiculously excited about the Quidditch match against Middlebury a couple of weeks ago. There were posters all over campus, no joke! We badly lost though, but Midd’s team has a ton more experience, so I don’t feel too bad ;)

Avatar Image says:

Me and my sister used to play a version of Quidditch but with only two people…it doesnt really count now does it.

Man, I wish I could get my coworkers to do this!

Avatar Image says:

excuse my ignorance but how do they play quidditch when they dont fly? or do they fly? and who controls the helicopter snitch? i mean someone has to be controlling where it goes, it doesnt have a brain of its own! hmmm…not really sure how this works…...

Avatar Image says:

being more of a Slughorny type, it tires me already looking at it. Could however become e serious sport once the rules get synchronised. I saw it at the Sectus convention, there they did not come up with the Snitch-Runner and it looked like a confusing pile of running people.

maybe it need uniforms as well.

Avatar Image says:

This is soooo funny. I just watched some video on Youtube and all the guys there, they have brooms between their legs. One hand holding the broom, another try to catch the ball! It’s ridiculously funny yet awesome. I wish i could play this.

Avatar Image says:

i cant beleive they made a quiditch thing….people are freaks when it somes to harry pottor

Avatar Image says:

Hey, I know Chris Free; he went to my high school! this is so cool. I was wondering why his brother was wearing a middlebury quittich shirt. I can’t believe someone from Srath Haven is on Leaky!!!

Avatar ImageChelseyColorado says: Hey im tryin to start a league out here in Colorado can anyone who knows about the leagues out there like their rules and such or knows how to contact the teams email me i have tons of questions lol cprotze23@yahoo.com

Write a Reply or Comment