Toby Jones Talks Dobby In “Deathly Hallows”

122

Nov 27, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Actor Toby Jones, who provides his voice to the digitally created character of Dobby in the “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” film, is the subject of a new interview online from MTV. In this interview, Mr. Jones discusses his desire to again give his voice to the house elf in the seventh film, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” and of the massive effort that it takes to create the character seen on the screen. On this subject he says:

“I can only take a certain amount of credit for inhabiting Dobby, because clearly these brilliant people at Industrial Light and Magic have created Dobby and I just voiced the character. [But] am always amazed and flattered at how much that character has endured even though he hasn’t been in any films for a while. Every time a book comes out people phone me, and write to me from around the world saying ˜He’s in! He is in!’”

Mr. Jones goes on to comment on his hopes for a return for “Deathly Hallows” saying, in part, “It would be fun.” He continues on this subject, speaking directly about certain events which involve his character in the seventh Harry Potter novel in the rest of the interview, which you can read right here. A caution for those still wishing to avoid “Deathly Hallows” spoilers, this article does contain them.

20 Responses to Toby Jones Talks Dobby In “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

They could still conceivably include Dobby in DH. He has already been introduced and he’s the most recognized character by moviegoers other than the trio.

Avatar Image says:

We should totally start a petition that Dobby’s last words in the DH film be altered to: “Harry… Potter… Dobby is… freeeeeeeee…”

::The Trio somberly looks down at Dobby’s gravestone, which reads::

HERE LIES DOBBY, A FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hermione: What happened to “elf”?

Harry: Ran out of room.

Avatar Image says:

They really should bring Dobby back for the last film, who else is going to help out at Malfoy Manor? Although I guess everyone could just disapparate or something.

So apparently no Dobby or Kreacher in Half-Blood Prince, how disappointint :(

Um, do we know if the Dursley’s will return?

Avatar Image says:

I really hope he makes it into DH! That was on of the most emotional scenes in the book. In the entire series for that matter. i cried harder for Dobby than sirius or dumbledore

Avatar Image says:

hehehehe, ROFL Bandersnatch! Oh my I love Leaky!

I do hope Dobby makes even just a brief appearance in DH (Malfoy Manor escape and then death).

::The Trio somberly looks down at Dobby’s gravestone, which reads::

HERE LIES DOBBY, A FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hermione: What happened to “elf”?

Harry: Ran out of room. Posted by Bandersnatch on November 26, 2007 @ 11:30 PM

Ron: Are you a wizard, or not?

Harry: Doh!

Avatar Image says:

I was really hoping for Kreacher in HBP – one of my very favorite scenes is with him at the Dursleys: “Won’t, Won’t, Won’t”. I’m in stitches every time I read it or hear Jim Dale.

House Elf rights have not made it so far that they have it in their contracts tha they get into the movies, have they?

Avatar Image says:

Haha, oh man that made me laugh Bandersnatch! :D I think it would be best if they included Dobby in HBP as well as DH so that there was more of a setup for his death (his very sad death. :( ).

Avatar Image says:

I really hope they don’t bring Dobby back for DH. It makes no sense to bring back a character which a lot poeple haven’t seen in 8 years and didn’t like in the first place. Just to kill him off. Nobody except us will care when Dobby dies on screen. Using Kreacher makes more sense since the audience is at that point just beginning to appreciate the character making his death more effective than Dobby’s.

Avatar Image says:

eh… it’ll be fun to see the movie makers struggle now that they know they should never have left Dobby out of the movies. That’s what you get for assuming which characters are important and which are not. You know what group would also think the non-human character don’t belong in the movie? The ministry of magic.

Also, what’s so freaking hard about putting a CGI character in one of the biggest production ever? They make full CGI movies now (seen Beowulf? Everything that can be made, it’s incredible)

Avatar Image says:

@Tsuta: It really isn’t a matter of “hard” or not. Unfortunately, there is a budget limit, that they must consider. And CGI is VERY expensive. ‘Beowulf’ was intended as a totally CGI film, and therefore had the budget necessary. ‘Chamber of Secrets’ put it into their budget, then, as a necessary character. And also, I believe, an experiment in the cost. They had already done ‘Fierenze’, in ‘Sorcerer’s Stone’, but it was only in one scene. I don’t know, but I think ‘Moaning Mertyl’ is CGI, but not entirely. I think both ‘Dobby’ AND ‘Kreacher’ would be great. But I’m afraid we’ll have to see.

Avatar Image says:

BTW: No one has said that ‘Dobby’and ‘Kreacher’ are NOT in HBP! Let’s not jump to conclusions. *)

Posted by Garrett on November 26, 2007 @ 11:17 PM

Posted by Bandersnatch on November 26, 2007 @ 11:28 PM

::The Trio somberly looks down at Dobby’s gravestone, which reads::

HERE LIES DOBBY, A FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hermione: What happened to “elf”?

Harry: Ran out of room.

Posted by Bandersnatch on November 26, 2007 @ 11:30 PM

Posted by Billy on November 27, 2007 @ 12:04 AM

So apparently no Dobby or Kreacher in Half-Blood Prince, how disappointint :(

Um, do we know if the Dursley’s will return?

Posted by Jimi on November 27, 2007 @ 12:08 AM

Posted by Ann on November 27, 2007 @ 12:23 AM

hehehehe, ROFL Bandersnatch! Oh my I love Leaky!

Posted by Finn BV on November 27, 2007 @ 12:24 AM

::The Trio somberly looks down at Dobby’s gravestone, which reads::

HERE LIES DOBBY, A FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hermione: What happened to “elf”?

Harry: Ran out of room. Posted by Bandersnatch on November 26, 2007 @ 11:30 PM

Ron: Are you a wizard, or not?

Harry: Doh!

Posted by MaraudingDon on November 27, 2007 @ 12:28 AM

Posted by Glenn on November 27, 2007 @ 12:31 AM

Posted by Leggers on November 27, 2007 @ 01:06 AM

Posted by who cares on November 27, 2007 @ 03:32 AM

Posted by Tsuta on November 27, 2007 @ 08:00 AM

Posted by Confederate Lady on November 27, 2007 @ 08:27 AM

Posted by Confederate Lady on November 27, 2007 @ 08:28 AM

Page: 1

Post a comment Want to add an avatar to your comments? Read this. (this link now works!) Body can’t be blank

Avatar Image says:

To be honest, having read all seven books, I’m a little surprised that JKR didn’t strenuously warn the filmmakers off cutting Dobby in the same way she did with Kreacher; aside from the fact that they’re both house-elves, Dobby and Kreacher are rather similar characters, insofar as that they’re both seemingly unimportant, “background colour” secondary characters who suddenly and rather unexpectedly assume great significance in the final book (see also: Griphook, Ollivander, the Grey Lady). Even moreso than Kreacher, Dobby is such an easy character to disregard; yes, he’s a lovable and engaging presence, but Books Four to Six gave no indication that he was destined for anything other than a minor comic relief role, or as a continuity-establishing recurring cameo, similar to Winky. I guess Dobby doesn’t have an irreplaceably pivotal role in the flow of the plot like Kreacher does, but his death can certainly be seen as emotionally pivotal, so it would be a shame not to see it in there (even though I’m not overly fond of movie Dobby; I found his design and animation rather bland and inexpressive, and I felt Toby Jones seemed content to just do a cartoonish high-pitched voice rather than actually act the part).

Avatar Image says:

There’s so much going on in DH I doubt they’ll include Dobby in it. Even if it’s one of the most emotional scenes, it doesn’t move the plot along. The trio (duo at the time) can escape on their own from the Malfoy manor dungeon, just have Wormtail going in there and dying while leaving the door open or having the keys with him.

Remember that the two way mirror was not included in OotP. No mirror + no Mundungus = No Aberforth sending Dobby to help. Plus, movie audience doesn’t even know Dobby is working (freeeeeeeee!) in the Hogwart’s kitchens.

Avatar Image says:

Book 7, when Kreacher spills everything on Harry, it finally made me see the point of having houselves in the books. Reading the book to myself, I didn’t cry when Dobby died.

But, reading the book aloud to my parents, Dobby’s death was the only one that actually made me cry! So, I hope they have him back to get an army of houseelves in the war with Kreacher! Hahah!

Avatar Image says:

If they don’t bring Dobby back into the seventh movie, I will be SOOOOOOOOO MADDDDDDD! Dobby is one of my favorite characters… and even simply moviegoers should be able to appreciate his sweetness! Let’s go Dobby!

Avatar Image says:

One of my favorite part of DH is when Harry buried Dobby and the consequences that took place before that. And I think it is relevant to the story so Dobby MUST BE on the 7th film or I won’t watch it!

Write a Reply or Comment