Registration Opens for Accio 2008

Nov 03, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

An update for you today regarding one of the Harry Potter fan conferences set for next year. Registration is now open for Accio 2008, a three day conference set to take place in Oxford England July 25-27. Due to space constraints at the site of the conference at Magdalen College at Oxford, attendance at the conference will be limited to the first 150 registrants. According to Accio “the registration fee provides entry to all formal programming sessions and to all guest speaker lectures, a cash bar reception on Friday night, a banquet on Saturday evening, coffee, tea and biscuits served at all refreshment breaks, lunch on Sunday and a copy of the printed conference proceedings. Delegates have the option of booking a room (bed and breakfast) at Magdalen College for an additional fee.” If you are interested in attending this event, please click here for registration and further information.

18 Responses to Registration Opens for Accio 2008

Awesome! So cool!

Avatar Image says:

Magdalen College? Are you serious?! That is freakin impressive.

Avatar Image says:

Being an Australian makes it hard to attend these events, but I wish I were there.

Avatar Image says:

That sounds so great! Magdalen College? I don’t know where that is (other than someplace I may never see) but it sounds impressive. I so wish I could go! Does anyone know if there might be something, along these lines, in the US?

Avatar Image says:

Has anyone ever gone to one of these things? How are they?

Avatar Image says:

I attended Accio 2005 – It was great. Anyone who gets the chance (and can save enough money :-() should do something like that once!!!!

Accio 2005 was cheaper, but from what I saw so far Accio is still not as explensive as conferences in America.

P.S.: Oxford is a (very) old College so: excellent stetting for a HP conference ;)

Avatar Image says:

@minervaxyz: Do you know of any, in the Southern US…say South Carolina???

Avatar Image says:

Portus is in Texas and Terminus is in Chicago this summer.

Avatar Image says:

so i am confused, what happens at accio?

Avatar Image says:

sorry, my brain isn’t big enough to get this! what happened?

Avatar Image says:

obsessedwithhp: The website has details of programme if you click on the links on the side (I think Forums, not sure). Its a series of dicussions by Professors of literacy from different universities about the potter books. There’s also activities which they also welcome additional ideas from everyone. Apparantly they had a quidditch match in 2005, How the bloody hell did they do that

Avatar Image says:

I think they did it in a swimming pool or something…

Avatar Image says:

To answer the question regarding what has been scheduled for Accio 2008 – the conference will feature guest speakers, formal programming sessions and informal opportunities for delegates to get to know one another and the city of Oxford. A banquet will be held in Magdalen College’s magnificent Dining Hall on the evening of Saturday 26 July. The provisional programme may be found here:

http://www.accio.org.uk/programme.shtml .

We are looking for volunteers to coordinate other activities (such as an art show, craft class, Quidditch match, etc.).

Cheers, Phyllis Morris, Accio 2008 Co-Chair

Avatar Image says:

Hmm…That’s quite far away for me. But maybe if I beg my parents…Sad thing is, I’m the only really serious HP fan in my family and they wouldn’t want to get dragged along. Oh well. I still have hope, my mom wants to see Oxford :)

Avatar Image says:

I certainly hope the Accio organizers have had all their materials properly vetted by Warner Brothers!

Avatar Image says:

if you have questions i found the ACCIO 2008 website fairly helpful. They have contacts if you have further questions.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve registered, first UK event I’m able to go to as will turn 18 this month! Sounds really cool so hopefully will have a great time, will be going by myself though so will be a bit scary too, but hopefully will make some friends quickly. :-)

Avatar Image says:

@ nt: Accio won’t be shut down by our friend Warner Brothers ;): The logo used to be a broom and they wanted us (I’m a volunteer :) to change the name … This was taken care of :-)

Write a Reply or Comment