“My Boy Jack,” Dan Radcliffe Press Roundup

271

Nov 06, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

More news about the upcoming television film “My Boy Jack” starring actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) comes today with the opening of an exhibition at the London Imperial War Museum. Order partners DanRadcliffe.com explain the unveiling of the web page, which features information about the ITV film, is in correlation with the opening of an exhibition based on the real life story of John ‘Jack’ Kipling and his father, Rudyard Kipling during the First World War. Opening to the public on November 6th, the exhibition showcases “Kipling family’s letters, photographs and original manuscripts,” and is scheduled to run through February 24, 2008 at the Imperial War Museum in London, England. You can see a few Kipling family photos from the collection right here on the IWM “My Boy Jack” website.

The Times Online has an additional article on the soon to be broadcast film that gives more background on the Kipling family story and highlights the ‘unnerving’ resemblance screenwriter and actor David Haig shares with the man he portrays in the film, Rudyard Kipling. He says of the likeness:

“I looked at a photograph in 1985 and the resemblance is extraordinary, almost unnerving. I decided to start writing Rudyard’s story myself. It’s taken 22 years to realise this dream. Daniel Radcliffe was only 7 when I began writing the screenplay.”

Dan is also quoted briefly as part of this article, noting his hopes that young Potter fans will watch the two-hour drama, saying: “I hope people are moved… The thought of forgetting all those people who fought is terrible. We are lucky not to have to endure those conditions now.”

On a related note, Dan is the subject of a new interview with the BBC in which he talks about the recent news of his and fellow actor Richard Griffith’s upcoming move to Broadway for their play “Equus.” He tells the BBC he is “incredibly excited” about the move to Broadway, adding: “Of course there’s nerves. If I wasn’t nervous then I would be dead.

As we first told you last week, “Equus” is set to open in the United States September 2008.

“My Boy Jack” will have its broadcast debut ITV1 in the UK, November 11th at 9pm ’ 11pm (local time).

Thanks to DanRadcliffe.com.

28 Responses to “My Boy Jack,” Dan Radcliffe Press Roundup

Cool!

There’s also the first report out from the DVD launch! It’s from a gossip site so it’s bit opinionated at times, but it’s also very informative…

Avatar Image says:

I read that blog too anon. Personally, I didn’t think it was informative at all. There was nothing about the DVD or HBP in the story. Just the author’s opinion of the cast.

The person that wrote it is very rude.  Why she thinks it's acceptable to insult teens is beyond me. I don't care if they're famous; you don't call a young person "Hello Kitty." Good luck on ever getting invited back.
Avatar Image says:

It looks like he’s scheduled to be on Conan O’Brien tonight

Avatar Image says:

Whoa! Dan begins and ends 2007 with a bang. LOoks like MBJ will be a historical hit.

And that blog about the DVD launch was hilarious in its rudeness. It trashed Rupert,Evanna and Katie. Had some good things to say about Dan but laughed at his being short. lol.

Avatar Image says:

Looks like the O’Brien appearance might be just a repeat

Avatar Image says:

OMG Dan sure is looking hotter and hotter, he does look very handsome at the museum while meeting the veteran…I saw Kim Catrel with them too!

Yeah the Conan episode is definitely a re-run. Writers strike anyone? :P

And oh I said the article was informative because it says who all was there and how the interviews were done. But I agree it is very rude (and also pretty hilarious).

Avatar Image says:

I killed myself laughing at Lainey’s report. She is so right on about Joaquim Phoenix, and not too surprised about what she said about the others. The Hello Kitty remark isn’t that bad, really, i know a few people like that. ( I can hear the screaming right now from certain fans lol.)

Avatar Image says:

You know I noticed today was Guy Fawkes day. And I was talking earlier with a friend of mine. And she was wondering if Dumbledore’s phoenix, who burst into flames and was born again, Fawkes… May have been named after him… ? Food for thought!!

Avatar Image says:

Extordinary! I so wish I could see it, on Sunday, but there’s a way I CAN! (I hope) They have a DVD. Somebody, tell me what ‘PAL’ is, and how can I get the DVD? I, too, am interested in WWI. I live in the US (“across the pond”) so I won’t be able to see the broadcast. BBC productions are always so good! HELP ME!

Avatar Image says:

I’ve brought the new copy of Heat magazine today and they have a new interview with Dan. I haven’t had the chance to read all of the interview yet.

“Bought” I mean

Avatar Image says:

Hi! Ok. Being from “Across the pond”, the “article”, from ‘laineygossip.com’ begs this question: Is this someone’s “personal blogg” or is this a “regular feature, from a tabloid”? very..uh…tabloidish. Interesting, in it’s descriptions, but tabloidish.Especially the “Hello Kitty” description of Katie Leung. Sounds a bit “Holly Hobbie-ish”. LOL Merely curious, folks! :D

Avatar Image says:

this looks like a real great role for David Haig, I know him only from roles like the one in ” the Thin Blue Line”, so it’s good to see him as something else then a sort of pompeous, lamebrain ass.

And for Dan… still a bit weird to see him in that uniform, kid of 18 trying to look 38. But it captures the picture of John Kipling as shown on the exhibition very well. also a kid of 18 trying to look 38.

And yeahhhhh!!! resemblance between Haig and Kipling is stunning.

Avatar Image says:

For those in the US who won’t have a chance to see “My Boy Jack” when it airs in the UK next week, the Imperial War Museum site states that they will be selling the DVD in their online gift shop as of November 19th. The link is http://www.iwmshop.org.uk. No price is listed, and the DVD is not on the site yet, so check back on 11/19. Not sure if the DVD is formated for US DVD players.

By the way, do check out the IMW website about the “My Boy Jack” Exhibition (Leaky’s article links to it)—it’s quite moving.

Avatar Image says:

for those who are interested the actual poem Kipling wrote:

Have you news of my boy Jack?”

Not this tide. “When d’you think that he’ll come back?” Not with this wind blowing, and this tide. “Has any one else had word of him?” Not this tide. For what is sunk will hardly swim, Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

“Oh, dear, what comfort can I find?” None this tide, Nor any tide, Except he did not shame his kind— Not even with that wind blowing, and that tide.

Then hold your head up all the more, This tide, And every tide; Because he was the son you bore, And gave to that wind blowing and that tide!

Avatar Image says:

“Confederate Lady” – it’s a Canadian gossip column. :)

Avatar Image says:

Little bits like these makes me wish Radcliffe really escapes the ‘typecast’ curse child actors endure after staying too long with a franchise. If he works hard and hoping England is not the same way as Hollywood, offers will keep on coming. He already has the contacts and I hope he keeps up honing on the talent.

Avatar Image says:

“And for Dan… still a bit weird to see him in that uniform, kid of 18 trying to look 38. But it captures the picture of John Kipling as shown on the exhibition very well. also a kid of 18 trying to look 38”

John Kipling wasn’t ‘trying to look 38’. During WWI officers were ordered to keep their upper-lip hair unshaven. :)

Avatar Image says:

Thanks, for the info, anon! Too funny, actually! BTW….anyone wishing to know WHY the “diffrent release dates” on the DVD (Harry Potter..etc)My hubbie (Electronics/Computer genius that he is) showed me! The diffrence in “regions” has to do with it! England is on Region 1, and we (across the pond) are in Region 2. You can’t “cross regions”. In this case, the Potter DVD’s have to be “coded” to match the region. that’s why it takes so long (12th November, there. 11th December, here) ! (silly to me) It has to do with the Movie Companies, Televison Broadcasters…etc. “Hard core Tech” , but there you are! WAAAHHHH! Anyhow, to make a “long story, short”...we CAN’T use it, in the US.It can only be used, on Region 2 formats.

Avatar Image says:

YAY! Dan Radcliffe is beating the “stereotype” train! By leaps and bounds, looks like! You go, Dan! *>

Posted by James on November 06, 2007 @ 10:31 AM

I’ve seen the intervieuw and heard Radcliffe explain it, but it is a bit different when you see the picture of John Kipling and realise this ” Man ” is just an 18-year old kid following orders and his father’s vision.

When I did my duty( somewhere before the Last Iceage) I had sergeants just two year younger, they looked very mature in their uniforms,

till you met them in civil, then you suspected them still being in diapers.

Avatar Image says:

HOly cow, have you guys seen the picture of Dan in that Heat magazine? Wowwowwow. I’m still looking for my eyeballs damn things popped out again…

Avatar Image says:

Can’t wait to see My Boy Jack. Found more about Dan and the film.

Avatar Image says:

I know, I’ve got the magazine. What a cutie.

@radcakesfan:

Did you find your eyeballs yet?? LOL.

I’ve seen that picture too…Big Smile!

Avatar Image says:

Kamion, thank you so much for finding the Kipling poem, “My Boy Jack”. It brought tears to my eyes. When you have children - especially boys - you identify so much with other parents when they lose their sons to war. Kipling was just one of a generation of inconsolable parents trying to understand the incomprehensible waste of their children’s livesin WWI. I was seared by Dan’s quote of another Kipling poem that concluded, “We died because our parents lied.”

Avatar Image says:

As usual, good, intresting and really useful post for all readers and specially for me, thanks! Good luck to you! ;)

Write a Reply or Comment