New UK Study Finds “Harry Potter” to be Most Re-Read Novel

115

Nov 09, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

A new survey from the UK has produced findings that suggest the Harry Potter novels by author J. K. Rowling are the most re-read series among readers in the UK. The BBC reports that the survey, conducted by Costa, found 77% off readers re-read books as well as placed the Potter novels above such titles as J. R. R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” and Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice” as their most re-visited reads. On the subject of the state of reading today, literary agent Simon Trewin is quoted in the article as saying:

“The public want instant gratification and there has never been a more important time to remind the reading public not to judge a book by its cover.”

The study also notes that nearly one ‘fifth of readers read their favourite book more than five times.’ The complete list of the most re-read books is as follows:

• 1. The Harry Potter series – JK Rowling
  • 2. The Lord of the Rings – JRR Tolkien
  • 3. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
  • 4. The Hobbit – JRR Tolkien
  • 5. Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
  • 6. 1984 – George Orwell
  • 7. The Da Vinci Code – Dan Brown
  • 8. The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe – CS Lewis
  • 9. Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
  • 10. Catch 22 – Joseph Heller

• 17 Responses to New UK Study Finds “Harry Potter” to be Most Re-Read Novel

Duh!

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful job HP. It’s already showing its lasting appeal. :)

Avatar Image says:

It could top this list for the amount of times I alone have re-read the books (not to mention the audiobooks)! It’s nice to see “Wuthering Heights” here too, though I must say I’m surprised that “The Catcher in the Rye” is missing; one of my favourite re-reads.

Avatar Image says:

Yes. We’re compulsive-obsessive maniacs. I knew it. :)

What doesn’t belong?

I have a hard time imagining people would re-read Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code multiple times.

I’m not going to trash the book, I found it entertaining enough, but compared with the rest of these books in the top 10, it’s a lightweight “popcorn” book.

Just my opinion.

Avatar Image says:

Artemisia- i quite agree. =D I am really glad HP got 1st but was anyone really surprised?? Do you think they will do this survey in the States?? If so I think it would top the list here too. Yay! I’m really glad Leaky put this on here… not terribly significant but a fun read! =D

-HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

I think if they did this study in the US they would get the same #1. I can’t even count the times I read and re-read (and listened to the audio books). As for the others on the list I have also re-read 3,5,&9 but not as many times as #1

Avatar Image says:

I’ve reread the HP series a few (many) times. I always find something I’d missed before. For example, I read Deathly Hallows so fast the first time to find out what happened to Harry that I missed the “kiss” between Harry and Hermione.

Avatar Image says:

My kids will ask me “Whatcha reading Mom?” Oh gosh, not Harry Potter again!!!! LOL ;-)

Avatar Image says:

I “reread” Harry Potter books via my I-Pod, but am on my third tattered copy of The Fellowship Of the Ring for dinner companion reading.

Avatar Image says:

The Harry Potter saga is a great re-read because of all the subtle clues and the continuing threads of information throught the whole saga.

Personally I would add To Kill a Mockingbird, and the Earth’s Children series (particualrly Clan of the Cave Bear and the Mammoth Hunters) by Jean Auel as great re-reads.

Why, oh why, would anyone re- read The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe? It took me two hours and bored the h—- out of me.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve read P&P just as many times—I’m glad it’s up there and that I’m not alone! o

Oh, and I guess HP being numero uno is good, too. :P

Avatar Image says:

Out of that list, I’ve read 6 of the books (HP, LOTR, Hobbit, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, TLTWATW) probably 5-10x each, minimum. Sad, I know.

Avatar Image says:

I’d read this story, but I am too busy re-reading Deathly Hallows!

Avatar Image says:

glad that wuthering heights is listed…. :)

Avatar Image says:

I re-read and re-heared DH a couple of times. A few days ago my son asked suddenly, “hey I think I have heard this about 5 times in a row”

I was laughing as my son aparently is not interested in HP, but sometimes he comes round to the living room to aks special details about some background informations about the books

Avatar Image says:

I have read all the books at least 5 times, and they never get old. I expect to read them all until I am no longer able to read. My other favorite re-reads are all the Isaac Asimov Robot and Foundation novels. Cheers from the USA!

Write a Reply or Comment