Update on ITV J.K. Rowling Documentary

Dec 02, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As today is the first of December, a reminder that later this month, UK channel ITV will be broadcasting an exclusive documentary on author J.K. Rowling as she completed “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” As reported earlier this summer by The Scotsman and reiterated again today by The Telegraph, “the cameras follow the Deathly Hallows manuscript’s journey from computer to agent and finally to the publisher. Rowling also guides viewers around her childhood home and locations featured in the Potter books.”

An interesting note for fans comes in the form of a blog by the maker of the documentary, James Runcie, who writes “I started filming under conditions of extreme secrecy in November 2006 in Room 552 of the Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh (not room 652 as reported in British newspapers).I have filmed with J.K. Rowling for every month since then and hope to make a film that is engaging, informative and true. It will be finished in November 2007 and shown on ITV 1 at Christmas.”

If you missed the information earlier this summer in the middle of all the Deathly Hallows book and OotP film release madness, Mr. Runcie had also included the official ITV press release on the documentary which notes “The cameras then filmed the book’s delivery in a locked suitcase to her agent at Heathrow Airport to gain a real sense of the secrecy leading up to the day of the worldwide release on July 21, 2007.

The film takes J.K. Rowling back to her childhood home for the first time, and travels with her to dramatic locations which illustrate the world of her writing; from the Forest of Dean to Kings Cross station; and from Castle Duart on the Isle of Mull to Christ Church College Great Hall in Oxford.”

Although the official air date and time of the JKR documentary has not yet been released, we will update with more on this when we can.

24 Responses to Update on ITV J.K. Rowling Documentary

Avatar Image says:

This – sounds – AMAZING! I really hope those of us who are in the States will be able to see it, somehow!

Avatar Image says:

Yes! I really hope they let everyone around the world see it. They have to! I live in the States too. I think they would be crazy not to, knowing how everyone would want to see it.

Avatar Image says:

I only have three things to say;

D-V-D!

Avatar Image says:

HPBrian I couldn’t agree more!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Please Please Please let this come out in the U.S.!

Avatar Image says:

Just like the A&E special, I hope this documentary goes on Youtube… ;)

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!!! I’m so exited…I just hope as Sean that this documentary goes on Youtube, or better, on Leaky’s Gallery!!! Please!!!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think this is the “first time” a documentary has covered JKR’s childhood. As someone mentioned, there is the BBC “Harry Potter and Me” that was shown on A&E in the U.S., and in that they traveled to Chepstow, showing her childhood home and the Severn River. I’m looking forward to seeing the Forest of Dean, though – sounds great!

Avatar Image says:

Woot! I’m definitely watching that! :) Yay for JKR on TV! She’s so awesome.

Avatar Image says:

So, it’s going to be on British TV THIS Christmas, and they’re saying they don’t have a date yet? That sounds strange to me. Am I wrong to think the TV channels already have their schedules set for THIS MONTH?

I sure hope we can see it here in the states. It sounds fantastic! I’m wondering how a person carrying a locked suitcase, followed by a camera crew, was not spotted going into the publisher’s office without being spotted by every tabloid newspaper photographer and Harry Potter fan within a 4 block radius.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, Mrs Lovegood, I’m sure their schedules have been set. I also will be willing to bet that this was already “scheduled”! That would be part of the “secret” As far as “Across The Pond (aka: the States) I agree! I hope we get to see it, too. If not, I’d LOVE a DVD. Besides, with a DVD, you can watch it over, and over, and over! (hee, hee!)I hope it will come on one of the “Public TV” channels, here. It IS a “documentary” after all!

Avatar Image says:

Eeee I’m so excited! clapclapclap This will make my birthday & Christmas so much better =D

Btw, it’s nothing out of the ordinary that the broadcast date isn’t widely known yet. When OotP came out there were 2 specials about it on ITV, and I emailed ITV 3 or 4 weeks before they were shown, asking if they knew the broadcast dates, and they had no clue =P

Avatar Image says:

Hey why does JKR think that her childhood is something special. She makes too much of a fuss about herself. And getting filmed for several months really! Next step is that we have to worship Joanne on the cross

Avatar Image says:

Yes, Christmas is definitely coming. That is one programme I cannot miss.

Avatar Image says:

secunda And a Merry Christmas to you too.

Avatar Image says:

So awesome! I hope we in the US can see it somehow, it needs to come out on dvd!

Avatar Image says:

THATS AMAZING!!!! Wow!! Will it show in the states?? I hope so otherwise i will be very dissapointed… I’ve always wondered how they got the manuscript to her editors and other people w/o it being stolen. I wonder if the documentary will show anything about something like the first copy ever printed or something… that would be sooooo amazingly cool!

Cant wait to see it

-HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

thank merlin i’m british and not american

Avatar Image says:

I hope, I will be able to see it somehow, too. Unfortunately it’s on ITV. Why not on BBC one or BBC two? We can watch those channels here in the Netherlands, but not ITV. :o(

Avatar Image says:

I think they showed the first JKR biography here in the states both on the Biography Channel and on PBS. And some lucky people (not me) have BBC America—maybe they’ll show it there?

I sure it will turn up on the net somehow or another.

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone else think that once this documentary broadcasts, it will in someway cement the ending of the Harry Potter novels, well i think it will for me anyway. That will be my day of acceptance!

Avatar Image says:

Did you know that you can watch itv live over the net via http://www.itv.com/Watchnow/default.html I’m not sure if you can watch it from the states you will have to find that out for yourself. But if you can then you can probably watch “My Boy Jack” starring Daniel Radcliffe of the site. I watched this earlier last week over the net.

Avatar Image says:

this is total crap!!!i don’t understand why the US has to be left out on everything they also got the dvd first so omg… hopefuly they’ll show it in the US later or in DVD or something idk.

Avatar Image says:

WE need to be able to see that documentary in the US and everywhere put it on DVD they would make a lot of $$$$$ harry potter /jkr lovers are world wide

Write a Reply or Comment