Sectus Announces New UK Harry Potter Conference for 2009

Dec 04, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Good news for Harry Potter fans as there is a new conference in the UK to tell you about. Sectus will hold a new conference at Bodelwyddan Castle in Wales from June 26-29, 2009. This new conference for adults will feature a mix of academic presentations and informal discussions of canon and fandom-related topics. All proceeds from the four day event will benefit SOS Children’s Villages UK, which helps homeless children, in particular those with HIV/AIDS. In addition to the book based programing, there will be fun activities at Sectus2009 including including archery, scavenger hunts and evening entertainment, all set on the grounds of the Bodelwyddan Castle. Registration is now open for this event, with more information available via this link.

21 Responses to Sectus Announces New UK Harry Potter Conference for 2009

For adults?

So 17 year old girls are not allowed?? That sucks

Avatar Image says:

OMG a Harry Potter con in a castle??? That’s so cool! I am SO there!

Avatar Image says:

I loved volunteering for Sectus ‘07 and can’t wait for ‘09! I loved having ‘07 in London but ‘09 in a castle?! I’m there!

Yayayayayayayayayayyay! I live in Wales, so I am so gonna be there!! _

Avatar Image says:

I’ll be there ‘cause OMG castle!!

Avatar Image says:

This is fantastic news I have looked a their site it looks great

ARCHERY? cool!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’M THERE TOO!Wow this looks exciting! I think i’ll probably volunteer as this year i couldn’t because i’m 17 but by then i’ll be like 19!

Avatar Image says:

Just realised something…I can’t afford it! Gah i better get a job soon!

Avatar Image says:

I can’t afford it either meera but at least we have a lot time to save up for this one. :)

Avatar Image says:

I was so lucky with Sectus ‘07 – I turned 18 on July 15th and Sectus started on the 19th! I was just old enough! But that didn’t stop me from having an amazing time.

I hope you do volunteer if you come, meera! I volunteered this year and had a blast! It just made the whole thing even better knowing that I was going to be helping out and giving something back to those who had spent so much time organizing something for me (and everyone else!)

Avatar Image says:

*thinks about raiing my ema to pay for this.

Avatar Image says:

Whoooohoooo! This looks AWESOME!

Avatar Image says:

Oh I think (or hope) there is little question of me going to this. I had to miss 2007 because of my age but there are noooo excuses this time.

Oh Melj1213 could you please tell me what volunteering involved.

Avatar Image says:

Brooksie – there were many different volunteering opportunities both before and during the conference. In the run up to the conference there were some of us volunteers who were working on the decorations for the conference (eg posters/hogwarts shields to be hung up, table decorations, bottles of ‘potions’ etc) and many other things – right down to the mundane tasks of photocopying hand outs!

During the conference, volunteers were needed for a lot of roles -setting up and take down, manning the registration desk (which appeared to become my second home!); being a runner for the “Ops room” (so running errands for the Ops people); guiding people to the right places; manning the ‘Green Room’ and looking after the guest speakers; being a ‘classroom helper’(basically popping in and out of all the classes to make sure everything is running smoothly and running errands as needed); manning the desk in the merchandise room; being on hand at the midnight book release to make sure everything ran smoothly … and they are just the roles I had! I am sure there are many other volunteering roles I have missed but really, if you have a skill or just a willingness to help then I am sure there will be some way for you to help out!

Avatar Image says:

melj12113 i’ve never in my entire life been to a harry potter conference (too young for one’s in england and i can’t afford to fly to usa) but as a newbie to it all do you think it would be better for me to go as an attendee or to be a volunteer?

thanks

Avatar Image says:

When I went to Sectus ‘07 I had never been to a conference either but I just wanted to get involved so I volunteered. I did miss out on some of the timetabling because I was busy on “Auror duty” but there was always someone who would cover for me if I wanted to go to anything in particular.

It is up to you what you do – but the most important thing is that you enjoy yourself and have fun!

Avatar Image says:

thanks for the reply! i can’t decide!

Avatar Image says:

Well you have a bit of time to decide! lol

If you have any more questions or just want any more info then feel free to contact me through the Sectus forums (you can get to it through the sectus main site) where I am also registered as melj1213 :)

Avatar Image says: I want to come! But I'm in Taiwan now... it's so far. :( Maybe I'll get lucky and win the lottery.Avatar Image says: About the old comments : it's all right if you are 17yo, it is the age of majority for the wizards... Anyway, I find that this restriction is totally stupid. (But it is hard to explain this as English is not my mother tongue...) Clearly, the goal was to avoid troubles with groupies/"noisy children"/etc. But what about these "underage" fans who wrote excellent essays on the most known HP-Websites ? I would call that "adultism" (cf. Wikipedia). It is an arrogant posture taken by the adults who think that their opinion is more worthy than childrens'. It was nearly the one and only target public of the first book, no ?

Write a Reply or Comment