J.K. Rowling Attends British Comedy Awards

Dec 06, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling attended the British Comedy Awards last night in London, England. Online reports say that Jo presented actor Stephen Fry (narrator of the UK Harry Potter audio books) with a lifetime achievement award. Host Jonathan Ross also joked with our favorite author when he “cheekily asked her to sign a book for him, not one of her own Harry Potter ones but a tome by rival kiddie author Philip Pullman! She gamely played along.” The Daily Mail has a good photo of Jo at this event here. You can also see some very small photos of JKR at this event (and with the book) here via Rex.

Thanks Peter!

18 Responses to J.K. Rowling Attends British Comedy Awards

Avatar Image says:

It says she said the “F-word during the ceremony”... lol.

Avatar Image says:

and the Daily Mail again shows their complete lack of a sense of humor…

Congratulations to Stephen, I bet that record was made during one of the QI epiosodes! (it’s a great show, you can check it out on youtube)

Yay, congrats to Stephen! <3

Avatar Image says:

I used to live in England and that’s where i got hooked on Harry Potter and where i first started listening to the stories on CD… after I had actually read them all… and I loved him.

Now Im back in the States and I really cant stand Jim Dale… he’s really good but Im used to Stephen Fry… I have to go and order them specially so I can get the British version of the CDs…

so congrats… you are an amzing reader of the Harry Potter stories and you are also a hilarious man so congrats again. :)

-HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

I wish they would show it on TV though. Oh well, at least Peep show and Alan Carr won awards. They’re hilarious.

Avatar Image says:

hehe i love Jonathan Ross, he’s the funniest talk show host ever!! his interview with Daniel Radcliffe about Equus is on youtube and is soooo funny but i must warn you it aint suitable for children.

Avatar Image says:

This sounds hilarious, I hope there’s video soon!

Avatar Image says:

That’s really neat because when I decided to read the “Golden Compass” and, subsequently see the movie I was reminded of my plan to watch all of the Harry Potter movies, and I’ll very much enjoy reading the books also.

Avatar Image says:

That sounds great, even if it did rankle a few feathers! I love it when Rowling swears, it’s so unexpected. Anyone who keeps up with her interviews is bound to hear it from time to time, and she’s just so composed with that sweet voice of hers, then suddenly “F-ing s—- etc etc.” She knows it’s shockingly funny. :D

Avatar Image says:

It’s not funny – it was funny perhaps last century but it’s so over (ask Bono). It’s as if Jo just wants to fit and be cool all of the sudden. I don’t know. I just don’t know.

zr

Avatar Image says:

@ZoeRose, the “F-word” as we know it dates back to the 1500s, and has it’s roots centuries before that. It’s not “so last century” to swear.

@HPFreak, I totally agree, Stephen Fry’s readings are sooo much better. But how could they not be, with Stephen’s dulcet tones?

Avatar Image says:

well done Stephen! He’s one of my all-time idols as a comedian and general brainy person. As a very young man he was the one who researched and revived the Me and My Girl musical, which had been lost for decades; this made him his fortune. He has just written a new, probably unorthodox ;o), version of the pantomime Cinderella playing at the Old Vic which I would really like to see.

I haven’t heard his HP readings but I’m sure he’s perfect with that chocolate voice of his. When asked years ago to read Philosopher’s Stone live on radio one Boxing Day (with no breaks) he said he was honoured to be asked as it would be like swimming in chocolate.

Avatar Image says:

Just to clarify my thoughts on Jo’s language. She wasn’t using the F-bomb as her reaction to anything. She was teasing Fry about HIS multiple uses of the word. Nothing to fret about…even if it had been her use.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah -I was just staggered to discover that the US get some other guy to read the HP series.

Amazing -astonishing as it may seem. Stephen’s performance of Deathly Hallows was mindblowingly brilliant. No wonder Jo admires him so much. She owes him a lot.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah it wasn’t like she said “if you don’t like Harry Potter you can f… off” – although I would be rather amused if she did :)

The only time I’ve heard Jo swear actually was in the Jonathan Ross interview before book seven, the word she used is a particularly British vulgar term which sounds like “bullocks” g

Jo’s always been pretty upfront about stuff anyway, and while I don’t reckon she’d start effing and blinding, if she was really upset about something and felt the need to say F you or whatever I reckon she would

Avatar Image says:

Again, I’ll say that HP would be a thousand times better if Jo had given free reign to her vulgarity.

Avatar Image says:

silly silly silly ZoeRose…. J.K. Rowling is not a 11 year old, she is a adult human being first, not a writer. people forget that children’s writers are not children. they may write books for children but that those not mean in reality they have child like mentalities. gesh, jo has put obseceities in her books, she is not adverse to being normal.

also, the f word is more acceptable in british humor. gesh, they allow full frontal nudity on british telivision sometimes. I have been watching british tv shows before and all of a sudden it is a face full of naked female sunbathers.

Avatar Image says:

Luthien, I completely agree. And since her editors obviously gave in at the… well, very end, it’s even more frustrating really that she couldn’t have done it her way all along. :/

Write a Reply or Comment