Dec 07, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

It would seem our favorite author is doing a bit of updating on her website today as there are now several very interesting new entries about the final Harry Potter novel.
First up: a new entry in the Extra Stuff section of her website, regarding that mysterious Elder Wand. Also, there are two (SPOILERS AHOY) FAQ entries about “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” in particular involving events with Lord Voldemort, here, and here. Be sure to check out the Characters section for an amusing entry about Harry and big D (spoilers)

A lovely entry in Jo’s Diary reads as follows:

“Where did the last four months go? It feels as though Hallows was published, and then I slipped through some strange time portal in which everything went at double-quick time, only to be spat out in early December.

People keep saying to me, ˜I expect things have calmed down now you’ve finished?’ to which my answer some days is a fairly humourless laugh. I have been exceptionally busy since July, what with the US/Canadian tour, Beedle the Bard, assorted charitable commitments, a massive post-publication mountain of correspondence, plus those three children I insisted on bringing into the world. Consequence: neglect of website! However, I am putting up a few updates today in News (where you will see that I have also been busy with a documentary), FAQs and Extras. I hope to put up a few more titbits in due course.

The US/Canadian tour was my favourite ever. If anybody reading this was in the audience for any of those events, thank you, because they were only as wonderful as they were because of the brilliant questions and the overwhelming warmth of those present.

Delving even further back into the Lost Four Months, the launch of ˜Hallows’ at the National History Museum in London was also my favourite of all time, and to all those who queued so long and patiently, you were incredible, and I loved meeting every single one of you.

˜Deathly Hallows’ remains my favourite book of the series. I hope that, even if it is not yours, you understood, at least, that this was where the story was always leading; it was the ending I had planned for seventeen years, and there was more satisfaction than you can probably imagine in finally sharing it with my readers.

As for mourning Harry ’ and I doubt I will be believed when I say this ’ nobody can have felt the end as deeply as I did. The writing of Harry Potter has been inextricably linked with my life for seventeen years, and saying goodbye has been just as tough as I always knew it would be. So I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has written to me since publication, saying such wonderful things about what the books meant to them, because your words meant the world to me at this very bittersweet time.

Finally, Jo has revealed the air date of the special documentary that will be broadcast in the UK on ITV : Sunday 30th December 2007

Thanks Bel!

68 Responses to J.K. Rowling Updates Website with New Information on ITV Documentary, Events in “Deathly Hallows,” and More

Avatar Image says:

wow, so voldemort went unconscious too? did he just feel like the shrivelled up baby? could he hear what harry and dumbledore were saying? probably not, or he would have known harry wasn’t really dead… goodness. and i want to see that rowling special! i hope someone puts it online or something for us americans.

Avatar Image says:

That’s…not okay. The core of the Elder Wand is a Thestral hair? But Hagrid bred the Thestrals! That doesn’t make any sense, right?

Avatar Image says:

“wow, so voldemort went unconscious too?” We know he collapsed as when Harry regained consciousness, Voldemort was getting to his feet. I always thought that the baby represented the little piece of Voldemort in Harry so I doubt that the Voldemort that we know would have collapsed and woken up as that baby. As to what Voldemort experienced, we don’t know. I guess someone will have to ask her :D

Avatar Image says:

Rachel: I don’t think Hagrid bred them. There was a herd of them at Hogwarts that he looked after but he didn’t create them.

Avatar Image says:

Hagrid didn’t MAKE the Thestrals!! He was just breeding them – like making MORE Thestrals. I love the idea of the tail hair being the core of the wand. It fits perfectly.

It would have been awesome for Dudley to have a wizard/witch son/daughter, but I guess it might have been too much. :) It’s so happy.

The shrivelled baby being the part of LV’s soul was obvious XD. It great she explained why Harry didn’t die when LV hit him with the AK, however _

And.. I cannot wait to see the documentary. My TV will be THERE! December 30th!!

Avatar Image says:

I believe we are told Hagrid started the Hogwarts herd from one male thestral and 5 females. So clearly he didn’t breed these original 6 and they came from somewhere else. But it is a fun fact that the wand that was supposedly made by Death contains the tail hair (presumably they have some hair though I always saw them as hairless creatures) of an animal that can only be seen by someone who has known death.

Avatar Image says:

Oh I’m so happy we finally have some more background info!!! It makes alot more sense to me now. I have to reread those chapters now! YAY!

Avatar Image says:

awesome new content…keep it coming Jo, we love it!

Avatar Image says:

You know, I usually do not like it when she adds on things that were in the book, but these were cool, I especially liked the info about the Elder Wand and what happened to Voldy the Moldy after he AKed Harry in the woods.

John B

Avatar Image says:

Its wonderful, everytime Jo updates her website even if its about some legal case but she is like our friend just talking to us and sharing her feelings good or bad. but make no mistake, its even more joyous when Jo updates her site on the wizarding world :-) Most intersting for me was the notion of Harry and Dudley staying in contact. I like that. Though we know Dudley has no Wizard sibling I wonder if he had any children (hence why Harry’s kids disliked the visits?) or even married? I’m sure he did since he fixed his ways towards being a good natured fellow more than Malfoy. Malfoy, though ultimately not evil, never showed signs that he is good natured.. Malfoy strikes me as more cowardly. Dudley is far the braver by making the effort to reach out to Harry and wish him well and even show his concern. I also like how Rowling emphasises on we are who we based on the choices we make. That we all have good and bad in us and it is what we choose ot act on is what makes us. Ok, sirius said that last line in the flm, cant remember if it was even said in the books but certainly that is a major element that runs though the saga. I thought I had the Lily blood/Harry blood/Hocruxes\elder wand all worked out. Now, Jo throws in a HARRY HOCRUX?? Sheesh, now I have to work out the whole thing again! Can you imagine how much wizard pupils in 50 years time will be scratching their heads when they take their OWL on History of Hogwarths answering:

"Explain why Tom Riddle (Also known as Lord Voldermont) could not kill harry on their final 2 confrontations using all of the following attributes: Lily Potter's protection spell, The Elder Wand, Draco Malfoy, Voldermonts Hocrux, Harry's soul fragment (for sake of simplicity, may be referred to as harry's hocrux in your answer), Harry's blood, Dumbledore, and Love.  Emphasise on major choices that had to be made by Harry and Tom.
Avatar Image says:

Wow, Looks like I found a bug in the new Comments system :) I guess I should not write long comments and bore the hell out of everyone, huh? Well that last paragraph was meant to read:

“Explain why Tom Riddle (Also known as Lord Voldermont) could not kill harry on their final 2 confrontations using all of the following attributes: Lily Potter’s protection spell, The Elder Wand, Draco Malfoy, Voldermonts Hocrux, Harry’s soul fragment (for sake of simplicity, may be referred to as harry’s hocrux in your answer), Harry’s blood, Dumbledore, and Love. Emphasise on major choices that had to be made by Harry and Tom.”

Avatar Image says:

You said somewhere (the web chat maybe) that Dudley’s and Harry’s children met up occasionally and awkwardly.

Avatar Image says:

Oh hey Jo. It was awesome meeting you too.

also, HARRY AND DUDLEY: FUTURE HOPE?

Please tell me I wasn’t the only one whose mind went to a wrong place there… :P

(yay for non-legal updates!)

Avatar Image says:

er… was I the only one that couldn’t find the stuff about the wand and Dudley in the extra stuff…. I feel really stupid lol. but I seriously clicked on every thing and I couldn’t find it… maybe mine didn’t update right? i don’t know… but it’s definitely not there…

Avatar Image says:

There’s a new item up in the Rubbish bin too!

“JK Rowling does pilates, yoga, jogs, has botox injections and has cut out saturated fats”

I love her so much. :)

Avatar Image says:

Oh, my! It’s great to finally learn what the core of the Elder Wand is and I absolutely love what she chose!

and how wonderful of a Christmas/holiday present is that?! a documentary? WOO! : )

Avatar Image says:

The Elder wand thing was really cool. I don’t know why I was convinced it was the only coreless wand.

Then again, I also imagined the poetic justice of Dudly having a little Vernon who ends up going to Hogwarts. Imagine if grandpa Vernon lived to see that.

Avatar Image says:

ahaha, i want to answer that OWL question! i still get confused thinking about it. oh well. i’m happy just thinking about harry and ginny and their babies. :D

Avatar Image says:

i am so glad that Jo. explained all this because even read the book i still had a few doubts, I hope we get to see this documentary too it would be nice,

Avatar Image says:

Very cool updates! I was actually wondering if tail hair of a Thestral was actually the core of anyone’s wand in Potterverse. A few months ago a friend of mine turned me a lovely wand of oak and said that the core was tail hair of thestral. Now I have some serious obligations to meet the demands of this wand!

Avatar Image says:

I love Jo! I love it when she updates her website, especially the diary. I just wish I could see the documentary on her year too. But I suppose it will not be aired here in Iceland :(

Avatar Image says:

sigh No American air date is set, then? Well I suppose it will show up on The Learning Channel or some such in six months or so. Wow, I had to laugh with Jo on hearing how many people have assumed that ‘things have calmed down a lot now’. Oh, and on the core issue—I guess “Hey Jessica” finally has garnered results!

Avatar Image says:

To be honest I would be rather surprised if the ITV documentary isn’t findable in some form or other on the web soon after it is broadcast.

Avatar Image says:

Hagrid bred a herd of threstals, not all the threstals that ever were.

Avatar Image says:

Hagrid raised a heard of threstals, not all the threstals that ever were.

Avatar Image says:

In case anyone named JK Rowling ever reads this – no no, thank YOU for one of the most incredibly days of my life! Meeting you was a dream come true.

Avatar Image says:

Very interesting and thanks for the links above. When I go to the official site, I can see the spoiler warnings, but cant’ click on them as they appear under other entries. And I couldn’t find some of the things at all. Weird. Guess I’ll have to try later.

Avatar Image says:

I love the comment on how wizarding DNA could never survive meeting Vernon’s DNA. Hahaha! Perfect.

Avatar Image says:

Eeyore: I am having problems with the graphical version too, and the first FAQ answer gets auto-selected for me so I get to see the words even though it is a spoiler.

Avatar Image says:

no Heather, you are not the only one, I couldn’t find anything, I guess it works only when you go to the text only version (which I did, clicking on the links)

Avatar Image says:

She confirmed what I suspected happened :)

Avatar Image says:

hair of a Thestral’s tail? oh dear, that’s a problem for the movie makers….. Warners Thestrals don’t have hair. It also forces me to come to the conclusion Jo intented from the start that the Peverill brothers were mighty wizards who created the Deathly Hallows and not got it from Death itself. that was the urban legend they created too. Death would not have needed a core, it’s touch is power enough. Another of those mysteries unnecessairy revealed

Dudley and Harry on Christmas card relations, heheheh, and problaly he is Dudders is sending the smae kind of horrible vases as his mumsy did to her sister. with Jimbo and Alby for sons these gifts are likely to break by the dosen.

only point is these extra’s don’t show up when I go directly to Jo’s site only at the link given here. btw…. has the Wizard of the Month serie really ended? Since the archive was installed no new Wizard. well it was a sort of climax, the founders, Dumbly and then Harry. But there are a lot I want to see in this version.

Avatar Image says:

PS when I read the death and survival of Harry at the first night it came to me as 50% genial and 50% trickery. Jo’s explanation in the update does not take that away. It still looks to me as a process that was given many thoughts by the author but somewhere the argumentation is biting it’s own tail. Something as more concerned with the need to have selfsacrifice of the hero and the need NOT to finish the hero for good and ever, then sound within the laws of science and magic the author set before starting to write.

Avatar Image says:

So much for my pet theory that the core of the Elder Wand was the most powerful magical substance imaginable—chocolate.

Unless… perhaps it was a Chocolate Thestral!

Avatar Image says:

How come the thesral information isn’t on her FLASH site?

Avatar Image says:

The flash site is a bit buggy, it is sort of there as a dark mark, but you can’t click on it because the other entires are in the way.

Thank you Jo!

Squibby and Heather: The items are hidden under the spoiler marks (dark mark) in the respective sections. I head to search, too, at first.

Avatar Image says:

Oooooooh…...fascinating…sad to note it doesn’t come up for me on the non-text only site…when I read the words “big D” I remembered John on a PotterCast referring to Dumbledore as “Big D”, so I immediately assumed it would be about him, and seeing as my English teacher denies that he is gay, I was hoping for “proof” to her satisfaction.

Avatar Image says:

RE Thestrals and the Elder Wand….folks, you seem to be forgetting that the Elder Wand was made long long before Hagrid or Dumbledore were even gleams in their parents eyes!

Helios, re the Dumbledore revelation (which, frankly doesn’t change the story line one iota!), just refer your teacher (politely of course! don’t argue with your teacher!) to JKR’s Carnegie Hall comment and her follow up statements.

Avatar Image says:

PS re Elder Wand. JKR’s update re the wand having thestral hair as its core makes sense, after all it was made by Death, and of course thestrals as she notes can only be seen by those that have seen Death.

What struck me tho is that—as logical as this update is—it seems to be an afterthought, not something JKR had in her head the entire time. doesn’t make any difference of course, just an impression i had.

Avatar Image says:

Limbo? She used the expression Limbo? Do Calvinists believe in the Limbo?

Avatar Image says:

I wouldn’t read too much into the religious implications of the term “Limbo” – it is just a convenient label to put on the scene, it doesn’t mean that Jo thinks this is actually what happens when you die, nor does it necessarily fit what those who do believe in limbo think it will actually be like.

Avatar Image says:

I was very pleased that her explaination of what happened to Harry and Voldy was what I had figured out. And yes, this is fantasy and not science or theology, so however she explains things is the “truth”.

I like the idea of Harry and Dudders being Xmas card relatives. Have a few of them myseld, and I laughed to think that James, Albus and Lily hated the visists.

Thestral hair! Cool! Check Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them for more details.

Avatar Image says:

Arg I had a completely diffrent theorie of the whole King’s Cross – Harry decides not to die thing. But never mind, I love it when Jo gives us more info :) So Harry and Dudley are on “Christmas card terms”. haha, awesome! I love Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Heather, you weren’t alone, I can see the updates you mentioned only through the links here on Leaky. Not viewing Jo’s page directly.

But the information is welcome. I finally understand what she was driving at with Harry’s blood in Voldy, and it’s effect when the AK was performed on Harry in the forest. I did think the ‘thing’ we saw in King’s Cross/Limbo was what was left of Voldy’s soul but it’s nice to have that confirmed. Thestral tail hair in the Elder Wand. Interesting twist. More reason that Voldy’s spells weren’t behaving as he expected.

Voldemorts arrogance did as much to do him in as anything else. If he’d bothered to learn what the evil magic he was performing actually did, it’s real consequences, he might have fared better. But then we wouldn’t have had as good a story from Jo!

I really hope she can find time to write the encyclopedia she’s promised soon (a couple of years or so)

OMT

Avatar Image says:

Another thing that is interesting is that several years ago she gave an interview in which (I believe) she said her editor had asked (?) her about why Voldy was in the form of a baby in book 4 (before his rebirth) and she said that that particular form was intentional, so this makes sense that Voldy would be in that form at King’s Cross since that was his truest form before he took Harry’s blood.

I love how well-thought out her work is.

Avatar Image says:

Still, Dudley and his child should have been on that platform…

Avatar Image says:

Dudders could get real rebellious with his parents – and marry a witch! (Actually, Petunia with magical grandchildren – I could see her absolutely bursting with pride at the grandchildren Diddy-Duddykins gave her, but not liking the daughter-in-law. Vernon would die of a stroke before the kids came – when the owl with the wedding announcement came through the window!

Avatar Image says:

One thing that has puzzled me concerns Vernon Dursley…we can understand Petunia, but exactly why was Vernon so anti-magic? From the stories and the snippets JKR has given, there’s no evidence he ran into wizards at all until Hagrid showed up for Harry’s 11th birthday….so, why’s Vernon D so adamently against the magical world?

Hi @roonwit!

Mrs Rowling made her alleged Christian statements already. She means what she says, but she is wrong anyway. Everything she stated after DH was confusing and lacked logic, sorry.

She should not be seen as an moral authority. She contradicted herself in her interviews over and over again.

CU

Avatar Image says:

CU, I think you ar partly right., sometimes I wish we were back at the time JKR played the game of no spoilers and did not give any info at all or just titbits that were really good thought through. Now her need to talk results in randomfacts that better could have waited till a good edited edition. I will not be surpriced that once she brings her encyclopedia a lot of fact will be contradicted or revised again.

Avatar Image says:

The fact she has to explain the book at all shows how badly written it it. The plot was so confusing.

Avatar Image says:

I have to disagree with you Joely! The book is NOT written badly at all – and the plot was absolutely not confusing. I take the liberty to say this, because English is not my native tonque. Assuming, one has read ALL seven books – everything more or less lightens up at the end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Naturally I admit, there are also two or three things I would ask Jo if I had the possibility ;-) for one, I don’t understand why all the “Malfoy’s” were able to get away – especially Lucius Malfoy – who really was in the inner circle of Voldemorts Death Eaters!!! But then, it is her story and if this is the way she saw it, that’s fine with me.

Once again we are very lucky to have a writer like Jo, who loves her readers and above all - enjoys sharing her "famous little notes" with her fans. Something which has never been heard of before! We are having here a very unbelievable privilege. If Jo was a cold-hearted business-woman, she would have closed her Web site - and couldn't care less what her readers think of her story! But no - as we learned yesterday on her Web site, she has not forgotten us.Now  I am looking forward to watch that Documentary on ITV.
Avatar Image says:

Mistral, I think JKR’s point was that the Malfoys were ‘saved by love’, as Dumbledore would phrase it. Lucius and Narcissa were more concerned about saving Draco than the victory of Voldemort. Draco—as smary and nasty as he is—showed remorse and fear, and clearly was being coerced by Voldemort.

I’ve struggled with the wording of what follows, and this is the best I can do:

This is not the place to debate what defines, and what does not, “a Christian”. There are multiple Christian churches and congregations, bound together by several basic beliefs, but separated by specifics of theology. Fascinating stuff to think about and discuss, the history behind each of the Christian churches is interesting to understand and study ...but, those discussions belong on another site, not here. Or, if you are inistent, why not simply ask the TLC staff to set up a specific discussion area within the Leaky Forums to discuss such matters in a single, focused and separate area?

Avatar Image says:

With regard to the Malfoys, they seem to be able to use the Snape defence, because they switched sides before the end, most notably when Narcissa didn’t betray the fact that Harry was still alive. Their running through the middle of the battle just concerned for the son probably allowed them to stay out of Azkaban, and I could see them assisting the Ministry to prove their change of heart – as Voldemort was based at their manor they would know a lot of what was done and who was involved and whether it was by choice or not.

Avatar Image says:

Just a few years ago, as the film was about to be released, a Catholic Archbishop here in the US had the best statement about the Da Vinci Code, which is appropriate here: “Its a wonderful and suspenseful work of fiction”. In other words, its a good story, but that doesn’t make it “true” or give the novel Da Vinci Code weight in religious discussions or theological relevence. (incidentally, I am a professional historian, specializing in French history—I recall when the so-called Priory of Sion documents were found: my colleagues and I all rejected them as fake from the start.) To put the matter bluntly, the confusion with fact and fiction led to the shrillest and silliest debates here in the US over the DaVinci Code when it was, after all, simple a fiction from the start….

The same is true of the world of Harry Potter. Its fiction folks, and should be enjoyed and appreciated as such. Are there contradictions and gaps over the seven books, plus whatever interviews/snippets that JKR the author has given over the years? Sure, I can think of several off the top of my head—but they are not crucial to the overall story line (and frankly I think they reflect the pressures and haste with which JKR wrote the series). Are there broad religious ideas, images and motifs in the HP stories? Sure…almost all of them are broader than just Christian and are shared by many of the world’s religions (anyone interested can look into Zoroastorism, for example, and Mithra; or the Mystery Cults that flourished in the ancient world up to about 400 of the contemporary era; et cetera).

Marianne, where I agree with you is that JKR should not be seen as a moral authority. But, then, she never set herself up to be one. We can agree, perhaps, that with the success of her writings she is trying to do good works to help others in need, and that by her example others may also be moved to do good in the world. For her efforts to do good in the world, actions which are to some extent separate from her writings (not totally), I applaude her.

Bottom line, please: enjoy the HP books as fiction. Enjoy the little snippets that the creator of those books keeps generating (the only new information in the recent postings was about the Elder Wand’s core).

Only 48 hours until I have my dvd of OotP in hand….

I should look and see if there is a site for Pullman’s books and the Golden Compass….that would be a wild and potentially nasty discussion!

Avatar Image says:

roonwit, Also, all three Malfoys end up wandless…and forced to live like Muggles (no house elf even!).

cheers

Avatar Image says:

My math was off…only 72 hours until I have OotP in hand….

Avatar Image says:

ok, a last post then i’m off to chop up the tree that fell in my front lawn…

(insert an evil laugh and chuckle here): The wandless Malfoys…can you think of a better “purgatory”?

Avatar Image says:

The Malfoys have been living wandless (in part) for some time now, Lucius lost his wand at the beginning of DH, and someone nicked Draco’s wand around Easter so they have been in a sort of purgatory already. However, they probably have plenty of money which which to buy new wands, and once their case has been assessed there would be no reason for them not to replace their wands, though they may find that Ollivander doesn’t put them on the top of his list of those requiring new wands.

Avatar Image says:

I really like having JK give us more info on the wizarding world—the fact that she’s giving out tidbits indicates that she’s still thinking about HP, which I view as a hopeful sign. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that HP isn’t real…

Avatar Image says:

and Draco borrowed Narcissa’s, which was then destroyed in the RoR….

ah, but can you picture them, the three Malfoys, doing their own laundry, cleaing the dirty dishes, and scrubbing the floors?

wonder how much JKR will put into her Encyclopedia that covers the psot-Dh wizarding world?

Avatar Image says:

some people should not be allowed to post more than one comment, esp. when all posts sound so “I know it all, you better listen to me, because I’m so smart, I can reason and lecture everyone”, yes, I do mean you budb. You are one of us, so is your patronizing tone really necessary? Sorry, on the topic, the updates are great! Looks JKR was really busy, and we all thought that it all will calm down after the book is out :)

Avatar Image says:

sorry if i offended, muggle…that wasnt the intent. but i am truly tired of the “who is really Christian” and “who is not” stuff.

Avatar Image says:

Aaaaah!!!!! I love Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling!!!!!!! That’s all I can say.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t access the Spoiler Alert updates on JKR’s site either. They are under other entries.

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter: Rowling’s Christian critics miss the mark LA Daily News, USA Oct. 18, 2007 Opinion Tim Haddock www.dailynews.com

[Contains spoilers]

There are some Christian factions that love to criticize J.K. Rowling and her Harry Potter books. References to witchcraft, paganism, curses and hexes make the books easy targets for the defenders of righteousness.

It turns out these factions of Christianity miss their mark.

Instead of focusing on how things like witchcraft and paganism are anti-Christian themes, they should have been criticizing Rowling’s interpretation of life after death.

During her book tour visit to the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood on Monday, a reporter asked Rowling to explain the last time she wrote about Albus Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Dumbledore dies in the sixth book, but meets Harry in limbo, somewhere between life and death, near the end of “The Deathly Hallows.” Before leaving Harry, Dumbledore is seen crying in grief and shame as he says good-bye and returns to being dead, while Harry goes on living. …Is [J.K. Rowling] a Christian?. ‘’Yes, I am,’’ she says. ‘’Which seems to offend the religious right far worse than if I said I thought there was no God. Every time I’ve been asked if I believe in God, I’ve said yes, because I do, but no one ever really has gone any more deeply into it than that…. - J.K. Rowling in Author has frank words for the religious right

The reporter wanted to know if Dumbledore spends eternity crying and in pain. Rowling said no, that Dumbledore has a wonderful afterlife, despite the mistakes he made during his life.

Then Rowling proceeded to explain her thoughts on the afterlife. “On any given moment, if you asked me (if) I believe in life after death, I think if you polled me regularly through the week, I think I would come down on the side of yes – that I do believe in life after death,” Rowling said. “It’s something that I wrestle Advertisement with a lot. It preoccupies me a lot, and I think that’s very obvious within the books.”

This is what Rowling’s Christian critics should really be angry about.

For Rowling, the afterlife is more than a promise. It exists. Without Christ. She has created a world where the dead walk among the living, where the afterlife is for everyone; and in some regards it’s a better place than the living world. Death is not that horrible of an option.

For many Christians, accepting Jesus Christ as savior is the only path to an afterlife. Those who don’t are lost, sent to hell, or purgatory, or someplace other than heaven.

Rowling doesn’t need Christ. Not in her wizard world. Not in her afterlife. Not anywhere near Harry Potter.

That is the reason Christians should be upset with Rowling – not because her child characters perform spells and curses and delve into witchcraft, but because they do not need Christ to have an afterlife. None of us do, in Rowling’s views.

In the world of Harry Potter, dying is not something that needs to be feared. Those who are afraid of dying become corrupted, misguided, lost and alone.

Dumbledore is the best example of what happens to Rowling’s characters who embrace the thought of an afterlife. They take chances. They challenge authority. Most importantly, they aren’t afraid to fail. Dumbledore turns out to be a failure in many ways, but it doesn’t affect his place in the afterlife. He may have regrets, but he would not trade his afterlife for a chance to return among the living.

Harry gets to make that choice – to be dead or alive. In that sense, he is much luckier than any of us will ever be.

That moment when Harry gets to decide if he wants to live or die best illustrates Rowling’s struggle with the concept of life after death. “The truth is that, like Graham Greene, my faith is sometimes that my faith will return,” Rowling said. “It’s something I struggle with a lot.”

Tim Haddock writes for the Daily News’ Harry Potter blog, Portkey to Hogwarts, www.insidesocal.com/harrypotter.

Technorati Tags: JK Rowling, Harry Potter

Avatar Image says:

Okay… does anyone even know (if any) the strengths and/or weaknesses of thestral tail hairs? Anybody? Because I’ve got an Alivan’s elder wand and its core is a thestral tail hair. =I

Write a Reply or Comment