119

Dec 11, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

With the release of the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix DVD today here in North America, MTV has a new article previewing the next Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Several of the cast members are interviewed, as well as director David Yates who notes movie six is the sex, drugs, and rock and roll” of the Potter books. He continues: “It’s the ‘American Graffiti’ for this set,” Yates said. “I’m looking forward to developing the relationship between Ron and Hermione, and Ron and Lavender. There’s a nice triangle there.” Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) also weighs in on the comedic elements of the romances in the movie when he says “If we pull [it] off [right], it should be the funniest of the films so far.”

Other cast members are interviewed, including actress Evanna Lynch, who speaks about the new actor who will be portraying a young Lord Voldemort, Hero Fiennes-Tiffin ( real life nephew of actor Ralph Fiennes (Lord Voldemort). Evanna quips “I saw him, but to go up and say, ‘Hi’? He’s Voldemort!” she said. “But maybe I will. He has a quiet, dark side, so people don’t know him much yet. He doesn’t say much. I’m sure he’s a lovely boy. But he does have that aura.”

Finally, we get confirmation yet again that actress Katie Leung will return in “Half-Bood Prince” in her role as Cho Chang, and will begin filming in January. She also says she hopes she will be back for “Deathly Hallows.” Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley) also mentions the character of Cho, as she stated “I suppose our relationship lasts longer than Cho and Harry, but remember ” at the end of [Book] Six, Harry and I can’t be together,” she said. “It’ll be funny to do [the make-out scenes], but it’s just a film! Hopefully people will just enjoy it and not get too jealous,” she laughed.

66 Responses to David Yates on Half-Blood Prince: “the sex, drugs, and rock and roll” of the Potter books.”

Avatar Image says:

How in the world is HBP the ‘sex, drugs, and rock n roll’ of the HP books? The ‘American Graffiti’? I don’t get that at all.

Avatar Image says:

will they post a video about this??

Avatar Image says:

This interview worries me a bit. The whole sex, drugs and rock n roll thing. It sounds as if Yates is focusing more on the romance in the books rather than Voldemort’s history which is what this books mainly about, Harry understanding Voldemort as a person. I hope thats not the case though.

Avatar Image says:

I think that is a bit of a over statement, before Dan said that at the end of the movie it will get even darker than the fifth film ever was. besides we could be reading more into this than necessary we will just have to wait and see. Yes there are alot of funny parts to HBP but its not that histarical, besides look at the photos we have seen they look pretty gloomy and ominous- so the only funny parts may be between the trio and the love scenes.

Avatar Image says:

Ahh, the stupidity of directors and their unbearably large egos.

Avatar Image says:

Ah, Harry Potter fans – attacking and insulting the production team before they’ve even seen the movie.

Avatar Image says:

I think the media is focusing on the light-hearted aspect of this movie because it’s something different. Before all you would hear is “Oh yeah, the movies are getting darker blah blah blah” This is just something new so they’re jumping on it. The article itself mentions Harry’s relationship with Dumbledore is a focus point and Yates has done other interviews where he talks about Snape’s importance and the darker aspects. That will all still be there, guys. How can it not? I’m really hoping for a balanced movie and I think we’ll get it.

I think the romances will be fun to watch. For those that haven’t heard, the American DVD has a new sneak peek of HBP that explores that theme a little. There was actual footage of Harry/Ginny and it looked really amazing. They even showed Draco cursing Harry on the train! And yes, there was mention of horcruxes, too! Balance!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with all of you, i dont mind how funny they want to make the movie as long as they focus on the story, and i dont care how long the movie has to be as long as they fowllow the story line, i was really dissapointed with the 5th film so many stuff they cutted i am not going to front the movie was still good but i was like that it, and to be hones with you i saw the movie before i read the book and i notice that it was too short. so i just hope this guy Yates knows what he is doing.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah i forgot to add i dont know where he is getting this Sex, Drugs stuff from but he need to choose his words wise.

Avatar Image says:

well at least he has more backing to say that then when alfonso cuaron said the same thing about prisoner of azkaban.

yeah the book is dark but barely any of the darkness happens to the students during the school year- so fun it is!!

Avatar Image says:

Ahh, the stupidity of user Minimoon and his/her enormous misunderstanding of what book 6 is about.

Avatar Image says:

Well . if you’ve read the book, there are drugs[albeit of a different nature than usually ment by that term] and sex [between a lot of the characters[we just don’t see it in the book it is emplyed] and as for the Rock and Roll---well I hope the film does.I think it will when completed. Yates is correct—-when all the components of the book are broken down, it is “American Grefitti” ,only a bit more mild. And Yates didn’t write the script Steve Kloves did,Yates has to create a good cohesived film from it.I don’t think we will be dissappointed.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not one for dark films, but this series has intrigued me. Partly, is for the subtle humor that is in the film – I mean, hey, these are teenagers we’re talking about. There’s got to be some twisted humor in there, since that’s how the teen years are – twisted, full of turmoil, but yet fun and exciting. I’m sure Yates knows what he is doing, and is trying to pump up the fans a bit and maybe try to appeal to others that have not been in to the films as well. I can’t wait!!!!!

I love Evanna.

Avatar Image says:

I think that the rock and roll part refers to the love relationships that are mentioned in the book, and the drugs may be the potions and poisons included in it. I just hope it’s a good movie… I didn’t like OOTP a lot… mostly because of the amount of things they didn’t include and some others that didn’t fit in or even existed. As some of you already said… I want to see a balance between fun parts and really important parts… also Quidditch will be great. They should follow the books a bit more. Greetings from Argentina!!

Avatar Image says:

Jason. . . Ahh, the stupidity of attacking other people’s comments. Ever heard of sarcasm? Maybe I should have pointed that out. . . i’ve no doubt that Yates will create a decent version of HBP as a movie. Apologies to people who took it the wrong way.

Avatar Image says:

what the hell??? sex, drugs and rock n’ roll?? what is he playing at??? hi from italy!

Avatar Image says:

Book 6 is where the narrative of the adults and the first war with Voldemort finally, truly intersects with the narrative of the kids and this war with Voldemort, and wow, I hope Yates gets that. I don’t need this to be the funniest of the HP films, I need it to be the most gutting. Hello? Tower scene?

Avatar Image says:

My interpretation of the “sex, drugs, and rock and roll” comment from Yates about HBP is merely his way of phrasing that the characters maybe let “loose” a bit more than they have previously. Lots of snogging, feelings are all over the place for many of the characters, tempers flare and boil over etc. They are teeangers and they get a bit rebellious- I don’t think it really goes beyond that. I also interpreted the comments about it being “funny” as not funny haha but more that it’s amusing to watch the conflict that those feelings create and what results come about from it. I definitely saw this when I read the book; personally if they don’t show any of these inner workings, you’re not giving credence to the characters JKR created and their humanity. People are not one dimensional, so why show only one side or a few side of the HP characters? Just my thoughts, for what they are worth :) I think HBP will live up to whatever each person wants to take from it!

Avatar Image says:

Good lord, Evanna Lynch IS just like Luna!! Even her unscripted comments are perfectly guileless and honest.! What perfect casting

To those in the US just getting their DVDs of OotP, have fun!

and only 11 months to go until HBP is in theaters….

Avatar Image says:

I honestly think this ‘sex, drugs and rock ´n roll’ is just a term to promote the movie. ‘Sex sells’ after all. Just look at the hype the made of the Harry and Cho kiss prior to OotP and then it was two seconds in the movie and the rest of Harry/Cho didn´t take too much screentime either.

They won´t forget about the main storyline. What I could see from this HBP peek that is on the US DVD, the word Horcruxes does fall between DD and Harry and it looked like a quite intense scene. We also know the cave scene is in the movie and if that wasn´t dark (I mean the mood, not the lighting :) ) then I don´t know what is. And remember what will be happening at the end of the movie. Dark enough for me to be okay with a bit of love triangle, fun stuff (the books have got lots of humour also) and ‘sex, drugs and rock ‘n roll’.

The book HBP was actually the lightest and ‘calmest’ – besides the showdown at the end of course – of the last four HP books and I would expect that to show in the movie. So far, I am optimistic and like Lark I am hoping for a balanced movie.

ImHermione1027—-exactly will put

Avatar Image says:

he really, really needs to choose his words carefully….. its misleading….. i am losing my confidence on this director…. anyway, must wait and watch..

Avatar Image says:

This isn’t the first time Yates said this. I think he said it last summer too. Let’s try to remember what HBP is all about: Voldemort’s back-story/Horcruxes and Harry still struggling to hold on to his youth. This book is the calm before the storm. It’s his last chance to be a teenager, and the book reflects that.

I’m only concerned that the movie will feel disjointed. You have all of these plots that don’t come together until the end. You go from Flashbacks to love triangles to probably the most disturbing images in the first 6 books (cave scene). I’m worried this film will struggle to find an otherall theme.

Avatar Image says:

i´m looking forward to the next two films, i´m sure they become great! i love the cave scene and the end of book six. too bad they cut so much, but i think it must be because the film otherwise get to long!

(sorry for my english, it must be terrible… i´m from germany)

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only one who’s tired of listening to directors, etc., trying to make the films sound sexy and edgy? “Oh, this one is really dark!” “Oh, in this one, Harry finds out about girls!” (which they’ve said about the last three movies) Argh…

Avatar Image says:

fenm, you are not alone. Every time I hear the words “they are getting darker” or “discovery of the opposite sex” come out of these people’s mouth I feel the urge to throw my OotP copy at them. I would like to point out to whomever said Cuarón has said this same thing, that Cuarón said “they are more rock and roll” or something along those lines. He never said the drugs and sex part. Quite frankly, I couldn’t care less about what Yates says. After seeing the characters cut and the new Quidditch props, I have just resolved not to get my hopes high.

Avatar Image says:

And maybe it is just me, but I think that HBP is one of the most gloomy and scary HP books, that if you don’t count DH, of course.

Avatar Image says:

I’m looking forward to a lighter story, especially since the book is so light-hearted. Jo gave us a downright slapsticky sexy teen comedy with HBP, and I’m glad to see Yates is bringing that to the screen.

I suppose they could cut out all the teen romance, and just show a bunch of flashbacks with young Voldemort sulking in a dark corner for two hours…. ;D

Jeannine- thank you :)

Avatar Image says:

Yup, it wouldnt be HP if we didnt have people judging the movie based on one or two interviews. LOL!

First thing to remember: the interview was given to MTV. Of course he’s going to say something like “sex, drugs and rock and roll”. That’s one of his jobs as directory, is to talk about the film so that it would be interesting to the audience he’s talking to.

I wouldnt take him literally. I agree with ImHermione1027. The kids are growing up, they’re all angsty and hormonal… they’re starting and ending relationships. It’s got to be more then just all the Voldy Backstory. I agree, but only in part, that HBP is a very gloomy book. It’s gloomy at the beginning, with all the stuff about Diagon Alley, and the focus on who’s disappearing, and the final several chapters of the book of course. But there is a LOT in the middle of the book, regarding relationships and humor that cant be forgotten.

Avatar Image says:

OK, did think HBP was really funny at times, but it ain’t supposed to be ‘the funniest of them all’, the movies are supposed to be darker… like Tim Gunn says, they better make it work! XD

Avatar Image says:

I was watching COS the other night and personally, I’m looking forward to the Aragog/Slughorn scene…That could be pretty funny.

Still mourning the absence of Christian Coulson, though… :*(

Avatar Image says:

Right !Yates is being interviewed on a youth oriented-—Rock—- net site.He has to make it interesting to those reading that ,He has to use key word to start and keep that interest. I still think when the film is completed it will Rock! On a lot of levels.

Avatar Image says:

Drugs, sex and rock and roll? Voldemort is back, Dumbledore dies and they’re talking stuff like sex and rock and roll? AND FUNNIEST YET? I hope not, though a little comedy never hurt anyone :3

Yea! PARTY! Whoooo!

What are they filming anyway? Whatever it is, it sounds like my kind of movie.

Avatar Image says:

The 6th book is a roller coaster of emotions of humor, drama, romance, and evil. So the fact that one interview they’re saying its darker than the 5th movie and the next interview they’re saying its going to be really funny is actually relieving to me. I just hope they capture all these emotions in a way that it doesnt turn out confusing or corny. I remember the first time I read HBP I was laughing and crying throughout the book so I think they the concept right. Its one of the more complicated books to portray on film and I didnt like how GOF was done so hopefully Yates will do a good job with this one. The one scene I am really looking foward to is when Ron and Harry first catch Ginny snogging (Im curious to see how they portray the “beast” in Harry’s chest, lol.) and also the scene where Hermione sends the birds after Ron.

I’m just excited to see this film played out and I’m just glad the whole HP experience isn’t over yet.

Avatar Image says:

There’s an error in the summary above. If you look at the MTV article, Evanna Lynch’s quote is about Frank Dillane, the actor who plays 16-year-old Voldemort. NOT Hero Fiennes-Tiffin, who plays the same, age 11.

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone else not “get” why Katie Leung is coming back. Cho is in the book for like a paragraph. What a waste of a pay cheque. They might as well bring her back for the final fight in DH.

Evanna is just so cool. Love her. Also happy that everyone is really starting to focus on Bonnie/Ginny.

The scene with Hermione’s birds attacking Ron has to be in. It just has too.

Avatar Image says:

OH MY GOODNESS! what does ‘sex, drugs, and rock ‘n’ roll’ have to do with Harry Potter? however, i kinda get the funny, just, don’t make a laugh of Dumbledore dying, that’s all i need.

and Evanna’s AWESOME!

Avatar Image says:

Okay, honestly guys, you are making me feel old. Have you really never heard the “sex, drugs, rock ‘n roll” phrase before? It’s very common. You’re taking it waaaaay too literally with the love triangle and drugs as potions and such. It’s sort of a glamorous, punk, counter-culture ideology.

For those of you born after 1980, “American Graffitti” has widely been considered one of the most influential coming of age films of all time. It’s a very simple high school story, but it touches on romance, rebellion, all the yummy and traumatizing parts of growing up.

I think Yates is just saying that Harry Potter is the James Dean of this generation. I think it’s a very apt analogy. The kids are growing up, they’ve gone from being characters to icons. It’s not just the romance and lovey-dovey stuff, it’s maturing and facing the “real world” in general. Harry is both a rock star and sort of a tragic figure. I think it’s very true to what J.K. intended—with each passing book, the characters are growing and losing their innocence.

Avatar Image says:

I just love evanna… budb i completely agree, she is really like luna in so many ways… all of her interviews have been like that and i just love that =D

-HPfreak

PS I dont mind putting the funny parts in as long as they have enough of the important parts… voldemorts past, the memory, etc. anyway, i wont worry about it to much until it comes out in theaters… jumping w/ anticipation already. ;)

Avatar Image says:

Well, half of the book IS very sex, drugs & rock n roll. And then the other half is Voldemort backstory. And come on folks – do they say “backstory sells”? No, that’s not how the saying goes…

Avatar Image says:

what are you people like ??scrutinizing and reading too much into this, he just means these are teenagers doing what teenagers want to do most. Its just a throw away phrase, cut the man some slak

Avatar Image says:

So I just read Luna, I mean Evanna’s quote and though “ahh. perfect”

Avatar Image says:

American Grafitti was the ultimate coming of age story for its generation that codified the angst, joy, wonder and horror of standing with one foot in childhood and one in adulthood, in a way the adolescents of the day could relate to. Those of you at that jumping off point can surely feel how exciting it is to be young and strong and maybe in love (or wanting to be in love), and yet thinking how it sucks to be so unsure of yourself and have your future still be such a question mark. and to have responsibility for your life without the authority to direct your own life. (Yea, we old farts still remember that exciting and memorable time but there’s not enough money in the world to pay us to go back there). It would be totally cool if HBP could do that for the next generation. One of the best parts of the HP series is that it has something to say to almost every age, not just kids.

There is so much more to the HP series than the main storyline between Harry and LV. It would be a terrible disappointment to stick slavishly to only the main plotline of HBP and lose the sub-plots of how we test and develop our strengths, beliefs, relationships, and even emerging sexuality.

Frankly, there’s not much action in HBP until the end. WRT major HP/LV plotline, the book is mostly setting up book 7. Yates has to make the whole movie interesting, not just the ending (although frankly I thought he could have done better at that on OOTP). If you consider that the stories of LV’s youth could easily have been worked into the previous 5 movies, you realize that the “coming of age” subplot is actually the most intersting part of the book.

And Luna being just like her character? Every interview I have seen of her shows it. And Ron too.

Avatar Image says:

I LOVE DANIE RADCLIFFE!!!!!!!!! HE’S SO CuTe!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE BONNIE,EVANNA,EMMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YALL!!!!!!!!!!!! HoPeFulLy 1 DaY i gEt 2 MeEt YaLl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i live in TEXAS so i really want 2 go 2 England.  but i luv yall so much!!!!!!!1 my faverite actors!!!!!!!!!
Avatar Image says:

I hope we get to see the Slug Club!! And Harry’s obession with (ish) Malfoy. This is my favourite book of the 7…should be a really good movie.

Avatar Image says:

I saw they were filming the scene on the train with Draco and Harry, which leaves me with hope that their storyline will be dealt with properly. But I really hope they don’t shove Snape into the corner again, like they have in the last two movies. I mean, the title of this one is essentially, “Harry Potter and Severus Snape.”

Avatar Image says:

Ofcourse they wil only concentrate on the relationships and comedy. It’s what they ALWAYS do. To the film makers, it’s not about getting it as close to the book as possible, it’s about making it as DRAMATIC as possible. I hate the film makers. Grrrrr…. Steve Kloves… Grrrr…. numerous directors.

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm… I can kinda see what David Yates is trying to say with the whole “Sex, drugs, and rock ‘n roll” thing. Half-Blood Prince is where the trio would technically be entering their Junior year of highschool in America. Well, possibly Sofomore but w/e. This is the movie where Ron get’s Lavender to make Hermione jealous. Where Harry finds true love in Ginny Weasley, but makes many sacrifices to keep her safe. It’s where romance blossoms for real. And, this movie is really going to appeal to teenagers from ages 15-18 depending on maturity levels and gender. And definately to American’s, because in America (and maybe other parts of the world, but I’m not sure. I just know it’s in America), teenagers begin doing things like the whole Ron/Lavender/Hermione triangle and the Harry/Ginny romance when they are around 15-17.

Avatar Image says:

Great article! but i think Evanna was talking about Frank Dillane,not Hero Tiffin when she said that. I wish we could see what they both look like, hopefully they’re not keeping it a secret until the movie comes out because that would suck. I bet it is going to be very weird for Dan to kiss Bonnie since they’ve both been around since movie 1. But if they keep in the part where the horcruxes kiss in movie 7 then it’s going to be even weirded for Dan to kiss Emma because those two are definitely closer than Dan and Bonnie. And poor Emma she’s going to have to kiss Rupert too, who’s like her other brother. But i’m sure they’ll get through it.

Avatar Image says:

@hermyjane granger: Not they defintely would be entering Junior year because alot of the characters turn 17 during book 6 and juniors in high school are 16 to 17 years old. So definitely junior year. I think all the movies have appealed to teenagers, adults, and children. But I think teenagers will see alot of familiar stuff in movie 6, like the crushes and teenage lust and love. But i still think the children will like the comedy.

I think teenagers everywhere start getting crushes and have romances when they enter their teenage years, not just America. In some countries, people even start younger than 13. I mean even in America and the UK kids are starting young. And harry got his first crush at age 13.

But whatever I think this movie is going to be awesome, the book was amazing so i know the movie is going to rock.

Avatar Image says:

Trouble kissing Ginny? Come on, Harry’s bared his wand, so to speak on the stage and made love to a horse. He’s now an adult and a real actor and has done some fine work. I somehow think he’s up to the challenge of kissing on screen now. He’s only playing 16. Actually, I think they should have taken a page from LOTR and made both movies 6 and 7 at the same time before our favorite child actors are hiding pregnancies, if not gray hair and crow’s feet .

Avatar Image says:

people people. it’s a movie and have (err has) yates let you down with ootp? I like the way he saw it (err illustrated the book). It’s over blown comment by what seems an ego driven director nothing more nothing less. It will still be all Harry Potter and ALL JK Rowling…. don’t despair potter fans! I personally CANNOT wait!

Avatar Image says:

im really excited for this movie, but the whole graffiti thing worries me a bit

Avatar Image says:

i think the relationship should between harry andemma

Avatar Image says:

I don’t like the sound of it. I mean, HBP is going to be a FUNNY movie? The reason HBP is my favorite after Deathly Hallows is because it is the DARKEST of the Potter books; some have even tried to do some legal action to ban book 6! Some of my friends who doesn’t read Harry Potter have even been curious about the “darkness” of HBP, and so they came into reading it!

AND NOW THEY’RE GOING TO MAKE IT A F-U-N-N-Y MOVIE? How about those Horcrux memory scenes-the horror of the wickedest magical invention? Those Inferi scenes? The disappearances? The mysterious deaths? That era of terror-that’s the aura of book 6! How can we feel it if they’re going to make it GENERALLY funny??? I’m starting to wish that the director should be Mike Newell instead of Yates!

Avatar Image says:

what kink of fans are you if you don’t prasie the production team???

Good Luck!!

Avatar Image says:

So, does Ralph’s nephew look like his two hunky uncles? Are the Finnes starting another Redgrave/Barrymore/Mills/Fonda/Sutherland/Sheen tradition of family actors? I hope so, but where are the females in that family?

OOP was so dark and depressing, it would nice to lighten things up a bit with a little Not Another Teen Movie type romances—and I like that Yates is going for the humor instead of the angst. I love Evanna. I just hope Tonks is back. Nat’s a card. Not a bad blues singer either.

I’m not as eager to see these last two movies as I was before the last book came out—it’s one thing to read that certain characters die, but I really am not looking forward to seeing their actor counterparts in the series of Death scenes. The last book wasn’t a lot of fun.

Avatar Image says:

But there are so many comical elements in HBP. Comical isn’t always funny, sometimes is just an image that is preposterous or out of place – Ron and Lavender entwined in a lip lock, (just think of them rolling around, limbs flying everywhere), Ron trying to hide from Lavender, Hermione setting the birds on Ron, Harry taking Luna to the Christmas party (Luna is the most comical character in the series), Harry having to resuce Ron by stuffing a bezoar down Ron’s throat while Slughorn panics (well, funny like someone slipping on a banana peel, but since you know it comes out OK you can sort of see Slughorn running frantically waving his arms in a total panic like a complete horse’s behind while Harry frantically paws though the cupboard sending potion ingredients flying), Harry running around like an idiot in a total panic trying to hide his potions book from Snape, Ron thinking he took the felix felicis potion at the Quittich match, Hermione fixing the Quiddich trials, Hagrid, Slughorn getting plastered at Aragog’s funeral…. There’s so much there to work with.

It would be hard to be darker than OOTP. This book series isn’t only about Harry vs LV, its also about growing up, testing yourself, friendship and loyalty, emerging adult feelings, and the adult understanding of the sometimes ambiguity of good vs evil (although that theme is a lot stronger in DH)

Avatar Image says:

“Jo gave us a downright slapsticky sexy teen comedy with HBP

roflmao i love this.

is it april fools yet?

snape forever.

Avatar Image says:

“I just hope it’s a good movie… I didn’t like OOTP a lot… mostly because of the amount of things they didn’t include and some others that didn’t fit in or even existed.”

I liked OOTP but it’s so true that they cut out so much stuff and others that didn’t fit in. For example, it wasn’t on the carriage that they met Luna, it was on the train and Harry was with Ginny and Neville, while Ron and Hermione were on another carriage because they were Head Boy and Head Girl.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry for double post, but I wanted to add that I really, REALLY hope this movie’s going to be good. It was my favorite book out of all 7, and the last two HP movies deserve to go out with a bang so that no one will ever, ever forget them.

Avatar Image says:

All the news ATM just sounds funny to me. Must be the Christmas excitement. ROFL! Uh… anyways, I’m sure he is thinking of Voldemort too. ;)

Avatar Image says:

I’m concerned, as OotP was the worst HP film to date (storyline, as if it had one) and am NOT looking forward to the mess that will be made of HBP. It’s a shame to make the actors carry these films, but thankfully they do it, and do it well.

Write a Reply or Comment