Luke, I am Not Harry’s Father

120

Dec 12, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Gotta love fandoms…especially when they collide, for the official Star Wars.com website now has a fun list online, comparing the Star Wars series with Harry Potter. Long debated here in our own fandom as well, this article lists ten ways the series are similar as follows: (Spoilers, so scroll down!)

scroll

scroll

scroll

last scroll

• 10. “Orphaned by a Dark Lord” Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter both grew up wistfully curious about the parents they never knew.
  • 9.”Relative Obscurity”As children, both Harry Potter and Luke Skywalker lived under the hidden protection of an aunt and uncle, longing for a better life.
  • 8.”V” for Villain The main villains of the Star Wars and Harry Potter universes often change their names, personalities and even appearances upon turning to the dark side.
  • 7 “Who Wants to Live Forever?”The Emperor and Voldemort were both obsessed with immortality, eventually returning from death to continue their quest for eternal life and unlimited power.
  • 6. “Romancing the Stars”Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter both had a male friend and female friend who initially annoyed each other and bickered often, but ultimately fell in love and got married after hiding their true feelings for years.
  • 5. “Dead Mentors, Dementors and Frozen Friends”Being associated with either Luke Skywalker or Harry Potter can be hazardous—both had teachers who were murdered, both had friends who were frozen by the enemy and both had family members who were caught in the crossfire
  • 4.”Like Father, Like Son”Harry Potter and Luke Skywalker, like their fathers before them, were both gifted pilots who displayed special talents long before they knew of their hidden abilities.
  • 3.”Love Hurts”Both Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter suffered a string of physical injuries that left them permanently scarred.
  • 2. “Size Matters Not”Star Wars and Harry Potter both featured a wide variety of height-challenged characters and species—and Warwick Davis portrayed many of them.
  • 1. “Your Father Wanted You to Have This”Harry Potter and Luke Skywalker both received mystical heirlooms left behind by their late fathers, presented to them by elderly mentors.
  • Thanks Derrick!

53 Responses to Luke, I am Not Harry’s Father

Avatar Image says:

LOOOL!! Harry Potter is colliding with all my favourite fandoms lately! First Twilight, now Star Wars… It’s Harry Potter heaven for me lately!

Avatar Image says:

Yay, first post. These are really cool, specially the Warwick Davis part.

Avatar Image says:

I am impressed! Being a devoted fan, of both, i had never really thought about it! Way, cool! Thanks, Leaky and Derrick , for bringing such a fun comparison to light!

Avatar Image says:

Haha, I’ve noticed the Han/Leia and Ron/Hermione similarity before, but the other points are also excellent. :)

Avatar Image says:

Also, LMAO! @ Warwick Davis portraying characters in both franchises. He’s such a cool actor and he certainly knows his way around fantasy worlds. :)

Avatar Image says:

Oh my… now we’re having a Star Wars comparison. I don’t mind Star Wars that much (I mean the originals, episodes 4, 5, and 6; episodes 1, 2, and 3 are both in my category of Vogon poetry ;) ), but Harry Potter is better.

A good story has GOT to have good dialogue before it is in my good books. Any movie or book with lines like “Hold me Annie! Hold me like you did at Naboo,” “I am scalded by the kiss you shouldn’t have given me,” and “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO” is automatically on my list of junk.

Vogon poetry. There you go. Harry Potter is better than Star Wars.

Avatar Image says:

haha! Great! Two of my favourite things together. hadn’t thought about these connections before.

Avatar Image says:

I love these parallels. The pilot part and the gifts part are both pretty appropriate.

Athena, SW does have crappy dialogue, but you have to admit that the original trilogy had some decent stuff.

“I could arrange that. He could use a good kiss!”

In its defense, all of the lines you gave were from episodes I-III, also known as Uncountable Horrors. gag

Avatar Image says:

yeah, to one of the comments from above, I haven’t watched any of the Star Wars films because of what I have heard about the horrid dialogue. It’s rule number one in my books for watching a movie of course there are similarities between the two, that’s what you get with both being fantasy and having archetypes, etc.

Avatar Image says:

Essentially, it all relates back to this! – http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f222/turlaach/lol.jpg

Avatar Image says:

who was “frozen” in hp?? Or am i just blanking on something really obvious…

Avatar Image says:

Anyone who indirectly stared at the basilisk

Hello, KanedaX.

I wasn’t referring to episodes 4,5, and 6. They did have decent dialogue. 1,2, and 3, on the other hand… I’ve only heard dialogue like that in older movies that I shall not name…

Avatar Image says:

I have a list at home that was on a comedy site. It lists these comparisons & more, right down to the score being composed by John Williams. I will have to post it when I get home.

Avatar Image says:

LOL!!! i had noticed a few similar thingd before.. but never as much as thiss!!! it is actually hilarious!!!!!! ^=)

Avatar Image says:

i hate to say this its not the best time for both of you kenedax and athena to argue on the diaolouge on the prequels as a big star wars fan of both trilogy’s there is nothing wrong with the diolouge in the prequels lucas himself said many times that it supose to reparsent the golden film era of the 30s or 40s style of diaolouge its not shakespear after all anyways im also big harry potter fan of both the books and films and i must say those are pretty cool comparsions for both the franchise’s i adore

Avatar Image says:

Well, at least it doesn’t turn out in the end that Voldy is Harry’s father :)) or is he???

Avatar Image says:

I’m guessing the frozen person was Hermione in CS?? after being petrified but the basilisk??

I love this list!!

Avatar Image says:

JK Rowling hates comparisons to Star Wars. I’m surprised this site would post this up. Especially since Stars Wars draws so much from mythology in the first place that Star Wars shouldn’t be the standard for the light vs dark plot line amongst other plot lines. My opinion=Nobody should compare anything to Star Wars until they’ve compared already to old mythology and old literature. Remember George Lucas started this story when he was in college.

Avatar Image says:

hey, what happened to my comment????!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Didn’t Jo say that she was a fan of Star Wars? Also the Dumbledore character was to Harry what Obi Wan Kenobi was to Luke. When I saw Sorcerer’s Stone I picked up on that right away.

Avatar Image says:

And after seeing the first prequel, I couldn’t waste anymore precious life energy on the rest of the franchise so I guess I missed the part about what awful things happened to make him evil while leaving a tiny kernel of good somewhere deep inside.

Avatar Image says:

“1o. Orphaned by a Dark Lord”

Uh…. no. Despite Padme dying of whatever crap Lucas claimed she died of, you can’t really say it was Vader’s fault (not to mention that RotJ strongly implies she lived a lot longer than we see in RotS [long enough for Leia to remember her, if only vaguely]... stupid Lucas can’t even keep his own continuity straight).

“2. ‘Size Matters Not’ Star Wars and Harry Potter both featured a wide variety of height-challenged characters and species—and Warwick Davis portrayed many of them.”

I’m not sure if the comment about Warwick Davis is supposed to be funny, but it is. _

Avatar Image says:

Epin said: “I never could buy Star Wars. The idea that Darth Vader was OK after all made no sense at all—he blew up a planet of 30 million people just to make a point!!! Sheesh…”

That was Tarkin, actually.

Avatar Image says:

Always in motion, the future is, is it not? Did Dumbledore not say this in OotP to young Harry? Always in a hurry! Looked to the future! AD-VEN-TURE, HEH! A Jedi seeks these not. And as such, so too Master Harry must no; for my ally is much greater.

But the BOY will learn patience. He IS the chosen one. MmmmmmmmMMMM! A prophesy MISREAD, it may have been! “You were right, Master. The negotiations were short.”

No PREQUILS, AND THAT’S FINAL.

I want to be like my father . . . and learn the ways of the force! (Mighty big the force, and that’s no stink of it!)

Bought the DVD yesterday — Poor Fudge looks OLD. Look for Sirius on Batman Begins II

Avatar Image says:

Uhhh the only reason there’s so many similarities is because both draw heavily from mythology. But this was an entertaining list none the less :)

Avatar Image says:

lighten up, William! It’s all in good fun.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words regarding my feature on starwars.com. As a great fan of both franchises, it was afascinating to explore the parallels between them. This was an assignment that was no work at all-just sheer fun. To the person who mentioned John Williams-good catch! I wish I’d thought of that one when writing it!

Sincerely, Rich Handley

Avatar Image says:

Just noticed fenm’s post about my “Orphaned by a Dark Lord” post. Thanks, fenm, for the feedback. I agree that Padme did not die of a broken heart—in fact, I’d say it’s pretty clear in the film that isn’t what we as the audience are supposed to believe happened.

Everything that happened in the Star Wars prequels did so because of Palpatine’s manipulations of everyone and everything in his search for power. He was the phantom menace, the Sith behind the curtain. In the case of Padme’s death, it was all part of the seduction of Anankin Skywalker to the dark side.

Palpatine (a Dark Lord) not only made Anakin cease to be the man he once was by coercing him into betraying the Jedi, he also apparently killed Padme so that he could then tell Anakin he’d done the deed, thereby breaking his spirit utterly. Therefore, like Harry, Luke was, indeed, orphaned by a Dark Lord. See, it all fits. :)

Oh, and yep—the Warwick Davis entry was purely meant tongue-in-cheek.

By the way, I hope no one here took offense at my article. In NO WAY was it meant to be taken as a jab at either Harry Potter or JK Rowling, both of whom I am a great fan of, as is my editor at starwars.com. When I pitched the story to him, it was after reading book 7 to my daughter and watching Episode III with her. She and I kept discussing all the parallels, and so I mentioned it to my editor—who, as it turned out, had just read all 7 books in a month and was just as excited about it as I was. I love the Potter books, and I love the Potter films. My parallels feature was meant to be reverential toward both unverses, and I hope it was perceived as such.

Sincerely, Rich Handley

Avatar Image says:

the silly thing is, the star wars comparrissions are things lucas basically lifted from pre existing fantasy stories. jk rowling and lucas both independent of each created a proper fantasy and used common elements. what is the strengths of both is that they took those fantasy conventions and manipulated them to suit their own stories.

what made star wars famous was the special effects. the story was familer decades and centuries before lucas placed it in space and jo placed it in a magical world.

Avatar Image says:

although i dont like the star wars..(i never understood the craze, sorry..) this list was entertaining

Avatar Image says:

Well that was fun to read!

Thanks for sharing Leaky! :D

Avatar Image says:

:) I’m so totally the Derrick who sent this in :) Awesome!

Star Wars was my first love :) It’s the monster of all fandoms—but Harry Potter is catching up :)

Avatar Image says:

@William Maybe JKR hates such comparisons, but there is no reason not to compare both stories. I wonder why you make yourself depend on JKR´s views.

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks John Williams and Misread Prophesies should be added to the list. There’s no doubt about it that overall Harry Potter is a better story (and if you knew me as a child you would understand how hard that was to say) but when it comes to the movies, Star Wars (even though the prequels had some of the cheesiest dialogue ever filmed) is a way better series than Harry Potter.

It’s a shame actually because as much as I enjoy the Harry Potter movies, I don’t think I would like them as much if I didn’t read the books. They started out alright but as the books get longer, so should have the movies. If they had only made the last couple of Harry Potter movies long enough to soak in the character and depth of the Harry Potter books, the series could’ve really contended with Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, please, people, lighten up. This is supposed to be a fun list, not a commentary on the relative merits of Star Wars and Harry Potter. Give criticisms a rest.

Avatar Image says:

Appreciated the comment Leif. (Are you from the South Farthing, near Hobbiton?) John Williams’ classic scores “Star Wars”, “Close Encounters”, “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and “Superman” all begin with the same Major 3rd-5th (G-B-High G) combinations. He was legend by these scores. HP, however, is alternatively remarkably revealing by minor Augmented 7ths and 11ths. Just pure Genius!

Sorry about the analysis, Bridgitt. This is fun, too!

Avatar Image says:

Being a FAN of both, I only have one thing to say…

HYSTERICAL!!!

Avatar Image says:

Being both Harry potter and starwars fan, i find this one funny :)

Avatar Image says:

(G-B-G should read G-D-G, see J. Williams scores) Never would have guessed Martin Shore (Saturday Night Live) would have produced the triple-masterpiece scores for LotR.

Hey! Ron could be a reincarnation of Harrison Ford’s, Han Solo (Do either sing in any of the books/movies?). Now, Hermione and Laya (sp?): Princess or no – Emma’s headed for Oxford??, Carry Fisher did go down that path. But the 2 characters showed remarkable bravery! (Could Laya’s parents have become dentists had Palpatine not gotten involved? Is Hermione’s mother from the House of Stuart?)

The book, HP & the _ (fill in the blank) is the EXPERIENCE! The movie, StW Episode ___ (F.I.T.B.) is the EXPERIENCE!

Watch this, though: President Reagan’s “STAR WARS” missle defense program and the end of the Cold War. AND NOW: Harry Potter translated into over 60 languages, with what new global impact???

Avatar Image says:

As for JKR possibly not liking comparisons to Star Wars? That was the first thing I thought of, especially after OOTP. That was the Empire Strikes Back of HP. I felt like she practically took the Star Wars basic premise and wrote her world around it.

Hi, Ken,

You wrote: “If you want to go into the expanded universe, Luke married a feisty redhead in Mara Jade. Remains to be seen if Ron and Hermione had a kid that died and another that turned evil, though. Plus Mara died recently.”

As a matter of fact, I mentioned that in the article.

Sincerely, Rich Handley

Avatar Image says:

Twain- You haven’t heard of Bush’s Horcrux defense system? Unfortunately I hear it was built only to protect him and Cheney though.

Bridgitt- It is a fun list about fun movies but many of us are still going to compare and criticize for a long time to come. Don’t worry, I don’t take any of it too seriously and neither should you.

M. Skywalker – My family IS from South Farthing, they moved to NY a while ago, something to do with a guy named Sharpie, Sharky, something like that. You wouldn’t happen to be a music theory major, would you?

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t read all of the comments so i don’t know if anyone posted this. A lot of these similarities are mythical archetypes. The orphan who wants more goes back to Greek mythology and shows up in the King Arthur story. The death of a mentor stems from Merlin (maybe further). Many villains over the centuries have changed their identities upon becoming evil. The mystical heirloom from the father is in Arthur with Excalibur (came from Uther) and is very important in Greek myth. It is particularly prominent in the myth of Theseus who had to move a giant boulder to retrieve his father’s sword.

I’m not dissing J.K Rowling or George Lucas for these similarities, they’re simply conforming to mythology. That aspect actually makes me like both sagas more.

Avatar Image says:

Oh-Hoh! Mr. Longbottom (Leaf)! Hope you haven’t been tapping the Gaffer’s home brew?!

Where in NY? Interlochen, MI (National Music Camp).

Now comparing books and movies is like comparing pumpkins/butter bear and lembas (I mean something from the Tattoine pub on Mos Isley (sp?) ). Who do you hear saying “CON-CEN-TRAAATE!” when you close your eyes (Snape, or Yoda)?

So what would Arthur Weasley say about a “lazer sword” (light saber)? What is the miticlorian (sp?) count in a House Elf? I call for a vote of no confidence in Chancelor Velorum/Palpatine. What this body needs in new leadership. I nominate LUNA LOVEGOOD!

Avatar Image says:

I merely wanted to point out that JK rowling has gone on record saying she doesn’t care for comparisons to Star Wars. I wasn’t all fired up about the list. The biggest and most important difference to me between these two things is; Star Wars fantastic as a movie as compared to HP which is fantastic as a book. We all know the movies tend to stray from the book especially with the recent movies.

Avatar Image says:

This list is so funny – so awesome! I’ve been at the forefront of three fandoms – trek, star wars and HP, and the last two being compared so well, well it got me chuckling – especially the Warwick Davis comment!

Well done!

Avatar Image says:

Fun, or funnish. But… ‘ Um…

These people HAVE read The Hero with a Thousand Faces, right? Which Lucas has acknowledged as one of his sources for SW, and which JKR has either read or channeled? Because basically all of the points that they raise are covered in Campbell’s book.

Avatar Image says:

Roxy: NO. James Potter is Harry James Potter’s father. =) not to mention Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA Voldy is too old, too inlove with himself to have a son.

Avatar Image says:

btw, very interesting comparison between Luke and Harry… i love it! =)

Avatar Image says:

Thanks very much, TarsieS and Joyce-I appreciate the kind comments about the article. Antosha-excellent point about Campbell’s book. I wish I’d thought to mention that.

Sincerely, Rich Handley

Avatar Image says:

Anyone have any idea why my comments keep showing up with crossouts in them?

Sincerely, Rich Handley