Amazon.com Buys Beedle the Bard for $3.98 Million

103

Dec 13, 2007

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

UPDATE: It has now been revealed that Amazon.com bought this book, and will be adding pictures and reviews of each of the fairy tales soon. The permanent link will eventually redirect to http://www.amazon.com/beedlebard. The note already contains several high-quality pictures and a video reading the note from JK Rowling inside the cover, and reveals that the book is 157 handwritten pages. Amazon.com editors are now taking questions about the tales on the site’s discussion boards.

Amazon has said it won’t be publishing the book unless JK Rowling decides to do so, but it will be taking the book on tour to schools and libraries so children can see it themselves. (This was posted in their message boards.)

Our previous article of today’s events is below:

The auction for The Tales of Beedle the Bard, JK Rowling’s original, handwritten book of wizarding fairy tales, just happened at Sotheby’s in London, and the lucky winner walked away with the item for the bargain price of 1,950,000 pounds, or nearly $4 million.

In a Sotheby’s release, the auction house said that this is the highest price ever paid at auction for a work by JK Rowling and indeed for any children’s book – it is also the highest price ever paid at auction for any modern literary manuscript.

It was a highly contested match between six bidders; the winner was a representative of London fine art dealer Hazlitt Gooden & Fox.

J.K. Rowling said of the sale, “I am stunned and ecstatic. This will mean so much to children in desperate need of help. It means Christmas has come early for me.”

The copy was one of seven handwritten editions and the only one to be made available for sale publicly. The other six have gone to six people instrumental to Harry since his inception. The leatherbound, handwritten tome was encrusted moonstones, as would be representative of “mothers, lovers and the power of dreams.” All proceeds will benefit The Children’s Voice Campaign charity, instituted by J.K. Rowling, which goes to help aid children who most need an advocate in the world.

In the release, Dr. Philip Errington, Deputy Director, Sotheby’s Books and Manuscripts department said: “Sotheby’s has been thrilled to work with JK Rowling and The Children’s Voice in selling this wonderful manuscript. This is one of the most exciting pieces of children’s literature to have passed through Sotheby’s. We have to reach back 80 years to find a comparison when we sold the manuscript of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland on behalf of the original Alice.”

In addition a set of signed Comic Relief books went for 1,125 GBP, and an original drawing of the main Harry Potter characters was sold for 34,100 GBP (or three times what was expected).

Also, a Reuters video from the reception, with glimpses of Evanna Lynch and Bonnie Wright in the crowd, may be seen here.

150 Responses to Amazon.com Buys Beedle the Bard for $3.98 Million

Avatar Image says:

OMFG! That is PHENOMENAL! Just fantastic for the charity! I would love to know who got it!! Lucky devil!

Avatar Image says:

Sotheby’s site reports “Hammer Price with Buyer’s Premium: 2,204,500 GBP” – not sure if this includes something above abnd beyond what Melissa reports…

Well worth it, I say!

Avatar Image says:

Im sure we will know who it was soon enough, and as a side note jo’s illustration went for 34,000 pounds. WOWSERS!

Avatar Image says:

I am impressed, but it’s not wholly unexpected, is it? Such a book, and such a writer! And all for charity….........amazing! You go, JO!

WOW!

I knew it was worth way more than £50,000. I am so shocked but very very happy.

That’s amazing! I shall spend the rest of the day happy. :D

Aha.

AHA

WOW!!!!!!!

That’s amazing! I guess I can’t really be to rurprised…amazing famous auther, I’m sure a wonderful book, which is also very rare.

2 million pounds! and all to charity! You ROCK Jo!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful! A very generous Christmas gift for The Children’s Voice from that bidder. I am curious to find out who it was though.. I am sure we will know soon enough.

Avatar Image says:

Oh my God… This is one of most expensive books or THE most expensive book one can get as Christmas gift !!! I’m extremly curious to know who bought it!

Avatar Image says:

OK – that’s odd – when I went back to the Sotheby’s site, the amount of the auction changed: now it says “Hammer Price with Buyer’s Premium: 1,950,000 GBP”.

Avatar Image says:

All I have to say is “WOW”

The buyer is Hazlitt, Gooden & Fox according to another HP fan site.

Avatar Image says:

congrats, Jo! :) 5,000% of the stimated price :D wow.

Avatar Image says:

the auction site is currently displaying that the current price for the book is right over 3,400,000 pounds.

Avatar Image says:

“Fantastic Beasts” and “Quidditch Through the Ages” raised over 15 million pounds… ironically, “Beedle” would have raised more for charity if it was available to everyone, not just millionaires.

Avatar Image says:

I wholly agree with you Confederate Lady :) this is so terrific! Apart from being happy for “Children’s Voice” I am so thrilled for Jo – for having such a brilliant idea with the writing of “Beedle the Bard” and giving it up to auction! Cheers for Jo! Also thanks a lot Melissa – for your quick update – you knew we wanted to know as soon as possible ;)

Avatar Image says:

The news says the buyer was Hazlitt, Gooden & Fox, who are art dealers and also represent private buyers, so whoever won the book obviously wants to remain private.

Avatar Image says:

1950000 is the price. The pre-publicity said that no buyers premium would be charged. 3,400,000 is what was raised in the whole auction (including a drawing by JKR and a few other Potter-related lots.

Avatar Image says:

There is no buyer’s premium on the sale of this lot, so the price is actually just £1.95mil. I’ve blogged about my experience of the auction: http://aislingyngaio.blogspot.com/2007/12/tales-of-beedle-bard-auction.html

Avatar Image says:

There is one lucky man/woman whoever was able to buy that book. And great news for the Children´s Voice charity.

Avatar Image says:

Sotheby’s have a press release (pdf) at http://investor.shareholder.com/common/download/download.cfm?CompanyID=BID&FileID=151354&FileKey=4e317a93-b0ee-4e42-81fb-146953f0d006&filename=151354.pdf (or go to their front page and click on press releases).

Avatar Image says:

I think this is such fantastic news for the Childrens Voice Charity! Sotheby’s did a great PR job and presentation of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. It goes to show that J.K.Rowlings heart is in the right place.

Avatar Image says:

Whoever is the lucky duck who acquired it, you are the envy of us all!

Avatar Image says:

Has Jo ever said who were the six people that received copies of the Tales?

Avatar Image says:

Wow this is really cool. Talk about a HUGE dontation for such an awesome charity. If you think about it, this is a pretty good investment to whomever bought it. Just think about all of the millions of people who enjoy the series who may one day become collectors themselves. The value of the book should only go up I would think.

Avatar Image says:

Thats amazing. I wonder how tempted the other people with the book are. Though if jo was smart and she is they would have signed a contract probebly. That way its protecting the buyer.

Avatar Image says:

So I wonder what the private buyer will do with “The Tales.” This leads me to ask my fellow commentors a question once phrased so eloquently by the Barenaked Ladies, “if you had a million dollars..” ok in this case a few million, and won the auction as a private bidder through Hazlitt, Gooden & Fox, what would you do with “The Tales of Beedle the Bard”?

I think that I would display it for everyone to come and see, probably charge a minimal fee of some kind ($5 for example) and then donate all the proceeds to The Children’s Voice..why not keep the generosity of Potter fans everywhere going to those who need it most?

Gosh..

i wish i was rich..

Wow…. that’s awesome!

Dawn…. I’d be very interested in where you got your figures about the the Quidditch/Fantastical Beasts books. I tried to find sales figures for those books, but couldnt. I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if they raised that much.

As a side note, part of the point of this book is that there are only 7 copies, and that they are hand written. The six books went to friends as a thank you for all their support over the Harry years. To mass-produce the book would have taken away from the gift she gave those friends. She didnt have to do this at all. She could have just written the 6 copies for those friends (or thought up a 7th friend, to keep that magical number, LOL), but instead, she made that extra copy for charity. I think it’s fantastic.

Avatar Image says:

I am happy for her to get so much money for the charity found.

But I am sure that if she had made a nice little book for general sale for all of us, she would have made more benefit money and would have made happy millions of readers instead of a few ones who had the money to buy it.

I am very angry and frustrated, if Jo says all the time she loves her fans, mustn`t be so much after all

Avatar Image says:

$4 mill says DanRad did it again! XD DR: “I am JK’s TRUE BFF!! I was the only one allowed to be charitable…” o Me: ... >> So, uh, when will you be charitabley sharing pics of the Black Family Tree? DR: ... o_o But seriously, I’d like to know who bought it. :D

Avatar Image says:

Whoa! That is an amazing number! Who has that much money to spend on a book? Awesome for the charity!

Avatar Image says:

patience Dawn ….there is no reason to think that we’ll never see the Tales, on the contrary, based on how JKR’s writings have been released so far everything points to the Tales becoming available to all, “sooner or later, in some format” patience…

DAMNNNNN!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I am with budb here, I am sure the tales will appear on the encyclopedia or as a little book like “Fantastic Beasts” and “Quidditch”

Avatar Image says:

That’s fantastic that it raised that much for Children’s Voice. But can you imagine what the six people who received one as a gift are now going to have to do to protect something that has proven to be that valuable? That’s quite a thank you gift that Rowling gave those six.

Lists the 15.7 million pounds value for FB and QTA

Avatar Image says:

It has much more to do with prestige than with charity.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, ROLL ON the facsimile copy!!!! I’m sure it’ll be released sometime. Too many fans want it; too good an opportunity to miss for fund- and awareness- raising.

It says on BBC Radio 4 that a Fine Art Dealer bought it.

Avatar Image says:

Wow! That’s great! What an amazing Christmas present for someone. Hehehe.

I really hope that the general public will get some version of this in the future. It won’t be quite the same as the auctioned copy since it’s not hand-written and bound in leather, but I’d love to have a small paperback like FB and QtA.

THAT. IS. SO. COOL.

Avatar Image says:

Sadly, I don’t think she’ll do that. The hand-written copies would still lose prestige and value.

I , too, really do want to be able to read the tales. grimace Oh, well.

Merlin’s Beard!

What does work out per word?!

Avatar Image says:

I may be reacting too soon but this point I am surprised and dissapointed that J.K. has chosen to exclude the fans, the people who bought her books. This seems very elitist. It was also a poor way to raise money for charity as it has raised much less than it would have if published. But I may be reacting too soon. These special copies could have been distributed and the books published also. This may be the plan, but that has not been said so far, so I wonder.

Avatar Image says:

I make it about 354 ponds a word, which would buy you 19 1/2 copies of DH (undiscounted).

Avatar Image says:

pounds, not ponds. As to publishing the stories, maybe the books would lose value, but she has now got the money for the charity, so it doesn’t matter to her so much if they do become worth less.

Avatar Image says:

Now I feel sorry for the six other owners. I mean how nervous would you be having a $4 million item laying around your house? Also, now that a price has been established will they have to pay taxes on the book’s value. I remember the guy who caught Barry Bond’s record breaking homerun ball and had to sell it because he couldn’t pay the taxes on its estimated value.

The tax man’s collection, more painful than the Cruciatus Curse.

Avatar Image says:

That’s great news. Work it, Jo.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, that is too cool! Congratulations to the winner, if you’re reading this. :)

Avatar Image says:

1) Congratulations to Jo and her charity! 2) If I had a copy, I would certainly not tell the tax man, because I couldn’t afford to pay the taxes on that one; 3) If I had a copy, I’d invest in a safety deposit box; 4) I’m glad I was able to afford the $16 catalog! :) 5) I do hope that if it is not printed (I’m hopeful that it will be) that someone might read us the stories some day-Jo?

Avatar Image says:

just some odds and ends….

the publication of a mass edition will not have the slightest negative impact on the value of the seven ‘special’ copies. Those are vailauble because they were hand written and illustrated by the author (each will necessarily have slight differences as she wrote/drew), plus they are rather lavishly and differently decorated with leather, precious gems and metals. Each will retain and increase in value because they are unique.

We were informed, when news of the seven copies was released, that those copies could not be published (more correctly, they could not serve as the manuscript from which a mass edition could be made). Here I also think that the buyer of today’s copy…if not the other six special friends of JKR…had to sign a contract to that effect.

Well, JKR has not said whether or not the Tales will be available in mass edition, that is true. But, given everything we know about her and based on how things have been done in the past, how about we go with “a mass edition is highly probable” instead of the disgruntled pessimism? I mean, really folks, it is getting rather silly at this point to feel JKR is ignoring her fans, especially when every experience over the years has shown that she goes out of her way for fans! And do you seriously think that every publisher connected with the HP series, worldwide, hasn’t been discussing the publication of a mass edition since the news of the Tales broke? The fact that we have not heard from any of them that JKR refuses to allow the book to be published suggests to me that one is on the way… And the fact that the seven copies cannot be used as the basis for a mass edition also suggests that JKR and her agents already have prepared/are preparing one. So, it strikes me its just a matter of “sooner or later, and in some format”, and we’ll get the read all the tales. patience (or constant vigilence if you prefer!)

hey roon, don’t tell me you are an accountant? ;-)

I do know one thing, if I had a copy, I’d be reading it wearing white gloves, and my four year old grandson would not be dribbling chocolate ice cream or spagetti on it!

Avatar Image says:

Well done, Jo! That money will do so much good….

Avatar Image says:

Blimey! I didn’t think it would go for as much as that. Good job Jo hasn’t said who she’s given the others to; their houses would be prime targets for burglars now. It would be a shame if those recipients had to keep their copies locked up in a bank vault somewhere.

Avatar Image says:

This is just fantastic. I knew it would bring in a lot, but that amount will really be a great benefit to the charity.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, that’s amazing!! What a number!

Avatar Image says:

Far more than that sum would hve been raised had the book been published in time to catch the Christmas shopping period. Instead, rather than the real fans, the book that should have been in the possession of the world’s children, is in the safe of the highest bidder.

Disgusting !

Avatar Image says:

Actually it is unlikely that a mass edition would have raised more money. A Beedle the Bard book would be many times shorter than FB or QA which together raised about 15.7 million pounds over several years.

Avatar Image says:

Agreed, roon…tho now if a mass edition comes out, the proceeds going to charity will be on top of the 2 million punds raised today. and, that combination would not be bad at all….what a lot of good would be achieved by so few words, huh?

Avatar Image says:

I get the feeling that she will publish the stories as part of the forthcoming encyclopedia. It would create more interest for it. We just have to be patient.

Avatar Image says:

sheez, roon, what is it about the word “pounds” that we’re having trouble with today? pounds, not punds…sorry about that

Avatar Image says:

I wish we could see the Tales – though I am almost positive that some day we will! I am very happy knowing that the highest bidder’s money is going to a charity where it will provide a brighter future for those children.

Avatar Image says:

....and who can say…maybe Jo will surprise us on Christmas – opening the now closed door in the room of Requirement ;-)

Avatar Image says:

...telling us that “Beetle the Bard” will be printed for all of us :-)

Avatar Image says:

I hope the new owner will release the stories for the rest of us!

Avatar Image says:

We will never see it -we are not important enough. It is an elitest publication and the real fans are forgotten.

Avatar Image says:

I’m with roonwit on this one.

Avatar Image says:

The new owner can’t release the stories, because Jo kept the copyright.

I have said in previous threads that we might get something behind the door at Christmas, which might even be the text of one of the stories, though announcing that Beedle the Bard would be publicly available would work as well. Of course the other bit of text that HP fans might be interested in would be the text from the original epilogue, which she wrote soon after starting the books.

Finally :) I want read the book BlogHogwarts.com

An Art Collecter (Shocked) Not a harry Potter Fan

Avatar Image says:

He’s crazy!!!. Great fot he Children’s Voice charty but…I mean, it’s $4000000! Too much money!!!

Avatar Image says:

on the bbc world news update it stated that it will never be published.

And I don’t believe that JKR is under any obligation to do so. Those saying “real fans” are forgotten severely mistaken, imo.

We do not have any right to these stories. We do not own JKR, nor do we get a say in what and how she writes and publishes. Or, for that matter, who gets to read what she writes. That is for her alone to determine.

She allows fan sites, fan fic, has signed thousands of books, met with fans, given huge public readings, and has donated huge sums of money to charity. And probably has donated more than we will ever now, as many wealthy public figures prefer to donate anonymously.

God forbid she does something nice to thank a few close people and then help out a charity.

JKR does alot for the fans. It’s rather disappointing to see all these people act like Dudley would.

Avatar Image says:

J, did the BBC have a direct quote from JKR saying that? I know more than one news outlet has assumed this to be the case but I have never heard JKR being quoted directly as saying that.

Oh and I completely agree with your post. Claiming that Jo does not care about her fans is really laughable. I was at one of the readings for her tour last October… anyone who was present at one of those could never claim that sort of thing. Jo obviously loves her fans.

J,

well said, but do realize its the same few people being gloomy, over and over in thread after thread. (why? what’s the point?).

As for me, I’ll remain optimistic that “sooner or later” we’ll see the tales. If we do, wonderful. If we don’t, oh well.

;-)

Avatar Image says:

Amy S, as far as I recall, the only “Officially JKR” statement was to the effect that the seven handwritten copies could not be published, and, as roonwit noted above, she retains the copyrights. I think that the first or second announcement here on Leaky re Tales of the Beedle the Bard had that statement?

Avatar Image says:

Great comment, J. Roonwit and budb, always the voice of reason. I also hope that the Tales will eventually see publication for some charity.

I do think that elitist is being misused, not to mention misspelled. Why should JKR be unable to give a unique, rare, uncommon, special (take your pick) to some close compatriots? Why do you feel JKR owes you any more than the wonderful tales of Harry? I am not being argumentative but I just don’t understand your thinking. I would really like to know why you are so annoyed and what makes you so deserving.

Avatar Image says:

I think a release of these stories would bring more money than FB&QA because the fan base has grown since those books were release. I for one did not know about them because I did not get into HP until GOF movie came out.

I also agree with those who say it is up to Jo to release them if she wants we are not entitled to them just because we read her other books or saw the movies.

Some one said they bet Dan bought the book (the art dealers usually are bidding for an anonymous client not themselves) but if I was Emma I would want it since it is Hermione’s book in DH.

Avatar Image says:

The “will never be published” statement has been in news articles on the book, as has “no plans to publish”, but not as direct quotes. So it might be true that the text really won’t appear (though “publish” isn’t the same as “make publicly available”), but they could also be misinterpreting the information that the book wasn’t sold with copyright. So it isn’t clear what Jo’s position on making the text available actually is, but I do think that Jo will be aware that her fans will want to read these stories, so I do think they will appear at some point.

Avatar Image says:

J, (and others), perhaps fair enough. Certainly nobody owns JKR or her intellectual property or can claim a say in what she does with her writings. But likewise, nobody would’ve even had to know about the whole Beedle the Bard thing in the first place. She could’ve just written them as she did, given them privately as very special gifts to her close friends that she wanted to remember, and donated $4 million to her charity … and then kept quiet about it! Why the need to tell everyone and thus risk hurt feelings? Oh, yes, you could say “Because of the charity,” but I would assume that the second-richest woman in the UK could certainly afford to support the charity herself if it meant so much. Or, as has been pointed out, if the books were mass produced and sold publicly and all proceeds went to the charity, it would undoubtedly be more than $4 million. The whole thing, to me, just reeks of “Look at me, how generous and giving I’m being.” And if that’s sour grapes or being “Dudley-ish” then so be it, but I think there’s no denying she’s hurt a lot of fans’ feelings with this venture. Did she have the right to do it? Absolutely! But that doesn’t make it taste any better going down.

I used this analogy elsewhere—it’s like a dog owner holding a nice juicy steak in front of her dog’s nose, then yanking it away from him. It’s her steak, she worked hard for the money to buy it, and it’s absolutely her right to do that if she wishes. But it’s still not a very nice thing to do to the poor dog who brings her her slippers every night.

(And because it was apparently confusing the other time I used that - JKR is the owner; the Tales of Beedle the Bard is the steak, and we fans are the loyal dogs… sitting here drooling… and who would probably rather not have even seen the steak in the first place…) ;)

Avatar Image says:

OMG! 4mil!! Thats CRAZY!! ^^ Lucky winner!

Avatar Image says:

That is absolutely FABULOUS! The money should go a LONG way to getting children out of cage beds and other such inhumane things.

Avatar Image says:

That’s nice and all, but we want to know what’s inside it!

To wondering…

It’s not that she “owes” us so much as I just wish she hadn’t told us about it if we were not going to have a chance to participate. That’s all. Certainly we’re not more “deserving” or “entitled” or whatever. It just hurts a bit to feel slightly shunned. I know it shouldn’t, but it does. And if we hadn’t known about it at all, we wouldn’t feel that way (those of us who do; obviously many don’t, which is great!)

Avatar Image says:

mouth drops open and hangs WOW….!!! GREAT!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Well, when I made my offer I just had 3€ in my purse. Definitly not enough.

Avatar Image says:

MP, let’s ask the question from a different direction, then?

Where are you finding any indication that the Tales will never ever be published?

Some of us are trying to work out for ourselves what the possibilities of publication are; we may not totally agree in our interpretations, but we are seeing the possibility of the Tales becoming available. What evidence do you see to the contrary?

and, sorry, as much as I and everyone else would enjoy having the Tales in hand right now, I really do not feel “let down”, and my feelings are not hurt. I don’t think a lot (your word, not mine) of fans share your position. You’re welcome to your position, but can you base it on some evidence so it makes more sense, please?

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if the recipients of the other copies of the book now have to pay taxes based on the auction value. That would suck to be given a copy and then discover the IRS (for Americans) wants a million (or more) in taxes based on the “appraised” value. You’d have to sell it. Or be sure the IRS didn’t find out that you received one of the copies.

Anyway, if I received any of the copies of the book, I would make a photocopy to use for my enjoyment and then have the original vacuum sealed or something to protect it.

Avatar Image says:

Amazing how much money that went for, eh? I’m just so happy that it all went to charity!

I wish (as most people do) that the book had been released to the public, so we could all go and do a midnight release and buy the book, but not everything she writes is going to be like that. I feel like, what with the catalogue available for just twenty dollars or so, it’s not such a huge deal for us not to have gotten the book.

But again, all that money to charity! Simply incredible.

Avatar Image says:

@ Hehe…I once bid fifteen dollars on a picasso (a very very small picasso)...didn’t get it obviously, but I can laugh about it all these years

@Michelle …my personal favorite idea would be to have the Tales published as a stand alone small book, with a preface by Hermoine Jane Granger of course. ;-)

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know why the people I have talked to are almost bitter about the fact that it’s not getting released for you or me…ALL that charity money goes to SUCH a worthy cause! When people say, “Cool, BUT…” It makes me sad. This is an important charity, and to act like you would rather have had the book then help those children…Well, it’s appalling, to me.

@ budb

Not Hermione Jane, but Hermione Jean! ;)

Avatar Image says:

Grace and Alison, thanks for putting things in such perfect perspective!

Avatar Image says:

Boy this kind of statement really ticks me off.

Who the heck are we to TELL her what she should do?? To tell her how much money she should give?? this is the HEIGHT of selfishness. “if you dont make ME happy doing your good deeds then they arent as good as they could be”. My god, that just burns my britches.

There is more to giving to charity than raising money. There is also raising awareness! Every single article in every publication, and every news broadcast has mentioned her children’s charity by NAME when reporting on this auction. Do you have any idea how much MORE money that could bring in????

people: you are not entitled to everything that comes out of her pen! When she writes a Christmas card to her friends, do you think you should be privy???

Avatar Image says:

chuckle, never could spell or type well, aillinne! ;-)

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Isabow, but would like to add that the general wishing for the book that’s going around is to be expected. We’re Harry Potter fans; we want to know as much canon as possible, see as many original J.K. Rowling drawings as we can. If we see J.K.R. writing something new, we want it straight away. Maybe that’s not reasonable, but that’s usually the fan response.

But, like I said, I agree that the children’s charity is more important than getting a book, however wonderful that book sounds. Roughly four million dollars can make such a difference, and I am thrilled that that money was put to such a cause. Anyone who isn’t, well, I see your point, but you need to “sort out your priorities” to quote movie-Ron. Chuckle

Avatar Image says:

“I don’t think it matters that the fan base has grown since FB and QA were released because they are still on sale, and new fans can still buy them. I rather doubt that the book was brought by Emma or any other HP actor, because although they could probably pay 2 million, it would be a significant chunk of the money they have earned.” Posted by roonwit

Roonwit, my point was that the initial run of FB&QA was published a while ago and if Tales went up for an initial sale now they would sell more because the fan base has increased. Just look at the initial run of SS compared to DH what a difference and it is because the fan base increased. Yes, you can still by a copy of FB&QA but the hype for those books is not big anymore like a new book after DH would have.

Also, it is very possible that an HP actor could have purchased it if they wanted .My comment was based on what another writer joked about Dan purchasing the book. Dan did purchase the Black family tress sketch when it was auctioned off. I just said that IF I was Emma I would try to purchase it because it is her characters book I did not say she or any other HP actor did purchase it.

Lastly, if you think these actors can not afford that price I think you are sadly mistaken. It is called investing your money correctly and making interest. Their money from SS alone, if invested right, could have made enough interest over the years to purchase this book and then some. I once worked for a finance company depositing checks for clients and calculating interest for them. You would be amazed at how much interest that just one million American dollars can make in one day (and these acotor are paid in pounds which is stronger than our dollar). Think about it, one million dollars earning 3-6% interest a month sometimes a day depending on the type of investment account then times it by a year. People with these accounts make more in interest on one million dollars than most of make in a year.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I think people should get off their high horses. Of course JK’s entitled to do anything she wants. And of course, the Children’s Voice is a wonderful charity. Nobody’s denied that! Why chastise people who express they would have preferred JK to publish those stories for charity as she did before, instead of auctioning a manuscript?

Avatar Image says:

Gentle friends, can we keep it gentle please?

Nick, its accurate to say that we all share the disappointment that we don’t have the tales right now. What seems to be happening in the threads about the Tales is that some believe that the Tales will never be mass published, and others believe that they will. That makes the most sense to me, since I don’t really see anyone truly believing that a mass edition “had to be” made available to us “right now”.

Could be wrong, but that’s how I’m understanding the discussions re the Tales.

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if we’ll get to see it after the collector gets it! This is great for the charity!

Avatar Image says:

WELL SAID, GRACE WEASLEY!!!! – claps – That was very well said. Hey, haven’t you said in another post a while back that you were thirteen? Whoo, I wish I could speak that well when I was thirteen :)

PS: I love your quote at the end, very fitting ;)

Avatar Image says:

Oh! Thank you, Chelsea…Though I’m closer to fourteen now than thirteen :) Dang, does that lose me some of my maturity points? Hah, thanks for the compliment!

Avatar Image says:

Wow. So nice for charity. But I got an idea: what if Jo made Snape’s Advance Potion Making book from Book 6 and made it available to everyone! It would be like Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them; all the money would go to charity! Do you like this idea?

Avatar Image says:

Wow so cool for the buyer and for all those who will benefit from the charity!

Yeah, great idea Duffy!

Avatar Image says:

That’s an amazing amount to go to chairity. Kudos to Jo!

The only problem is, of course, if you find this under the Christmas tree, you will know how much someone spent on you. That’s always embarrasing, isn’t it?

Avatar Image says:

we should all have such problems, Glenn. ;-| Good one!

Duffy, don’t forget Hogwarts, A History!

Avatar Image says:

WOW! That is some update!!! Amazon, man, I certainly didn’t see that coming!

Given Amazon’s past marketing of the HP books, and the fact that visiting the site will presumably lure in more buyers to Amazon, it makes sense. But man I am surprised!

Avatar Image says:

I think this is good for HP fans because, as Amazon will be doing editorial reviews on the stories and so we will get some information on them, I think this increases the chance that Jo will decide to publish the stories in their entirety.

Avatar Image says:

Part of me is excited that Amazon bought it, because now we will get more information about the book. Another part of me is disapointed. I liked the romantic notion that some rich adult out there was so in love with Potter that they were willing to spend almost $4 Million on it. Still, the most important thing is that all of this money went to charity.

Avatar Image says:

When asked if Amazon would be publishing the book, the Amazon rep replied (naturally, but there’s some nice stuff here too):

“The copy of the book that Amazon purchased at today’s auction is a unique limited-edition manuscript, hand-written and hand-illustrated by the author. At this point, J.K. Rowling has not published these stories for distribution. Of course, if and when they are published, we’d certainly hope to be able to offer them to our customers. However, we will have editorial reviews of the 5 stories available on the web site, along with a discussion board.

We also plan on taking the book on tour to libraries and schools so that kids can get a look at the magic in the Bard’s own handwriting.”

The CEO of Amazon (“whatzhizname??”) has long recognized the good business sense of marketing the HP books at a discount, with first day delivery, etc. And, my guess is he might be a closet fan as well (or at least have kids that are!). Nice touch putting the book on tour…. both a nice gesture, and (somewhat cynical sounding but…) good pre-publication publicity too.

Yep, I agree roonwit, this should increase the chances of reading them ourselves

Avatar Image says:

Besides Snape’s book, I’d like to see The History Of Magic…

Avatar Image says:

Amazon? Wow… wasn’t expecting that!

Avatar Image says:

What a gorgeous book. I wish I had a journal like that.

Amazon?! What a twist!

Avatar Image says:

Honestly, it’s great that this money is being donated to charity, but it went to a company? There could have been one person out there who really deserved it. Of course, I hope we get to see these stories someday, but until then, thank you Amazon for being so generous.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, Amazon. I wonder what motivated them to buy it. The above suggestions about publicity and website visits make sense, I suppose. My first thought was that they wanted to digitize it and make it available in electronic form, because that’s what Amazon seems to be excited about recently. But I don’t suppose that would be legal without JKR’s express permission. As it is, I hope they don’t get into legal trouble for publicizing too many photographs. (Not that I know anything about that sort of law.)

budb, what’s the source for the quotation you gave? Or is it from your own personal correspondence?

Avatar Image says:

Amazon! That’s awesome!!! And they’re going to take it on tour! Even better (perhaps) then having my own massproduced copy, is to see the original in “the bards own handwriting”. amazing.

Avatar Image says:

Arthimancer, if you go to the amazon site, http://www.amazon.com/beedlebard , view the images posted and scroll down the bottom, the very first question was “will Amazon be publishing?”—its the official response there

Avatar Image says:

That is fabulous!!! I love that Amazon bought it! And they are so great to share photos with the fans! And a tour! Thank you, Amazon! Nicely done.

Avatar Image says:

I am grateful to hear that Amazon won the auction and is willing to be this open about the book. We couldn’t have asked for a better party to obtain this!

I do admire Amazon’s efforts with regard to reading, whether it be introducing the Kindle or this. They do deserve to be congratulated for all the work they are doing on behalf of literature.

Avatar Image says:

Wow. I love updates. They always seem to rock.

Avatar Image says:

Huzzah for the charity! Glad to see them benefit from the sale of the book.

Avatar Image says:

And if that book comes anywhere near northern California on the tour, I will definitely be going to see it. It’s the next best thing to getting to meet JKR.

Avatar Image says:

Well, until the next update, or another thread of interest, that’s it from me.

Melissa, and the entire Leaky staff, many thanks for keeping us so well informed!

Avatar Image says:

budb, thanks for the citation. And yes, thanks to Leaky!

Avatar Image says:

wow. that’s great, and the perfect organization to support this charity in this way!

Avatar Image says:

this book is so beautful!

thanks loads amazon for posting those photos.. and thanks loads more Leaky for posting the link, or else i would’ve never found it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Amazon!

Avatar Image says:

I am really excited that somone like AMAZON.com got it so that at least pieces of it can be shared.

Those lucky editors at AMAZON … I’ll bet this is one of the best perks they ever got!!!!

Are they hiring any finance people … I can send my resume … I wanna “SEE THE BOOK” :-) as one of my fringe benefits ….

(Just joking boss, I really do like my current job and wouldn’t quit)

Avatar Image says:

I hope those of us who aren’t in school anymore will get to see it too :) This is SO AWESOME.

Avatar Image says:

This is just the coolest news – The pictures of the book are amazing!

Avatar Image says:

Who received the remaining copies?

Avatar Image says:

Some rather interesting posts over at Amazon. Without a doubt, some of the most selfish, childish comments I’ve read in a while there.

But anyway, to me this is great. Think of all the good that money can do. Afterall, that IS what this was all about. Well done, Jo. And well done, Mr. Bezos.

The first picture of Half-Blood Prince:

Avatar Image says:

I am very glad JKR’s charity will get this incredible sum, but saddened it had to be Amazon, who have the dubious honor of being the only online book retailer still selling dogfighting magazines…This leads me to believe the gesture was just a PR stunt on the part of Amazon. Even so, good for JKR and The Children’s Voice! $4M is $4M!

Avatar Image says:

Even if the book would’ve make more $ by it being available to the public, we have to remember that this book came from the idea of honoring 6 special people that JKR felt that deserved something special. It HAPPENS that she did an extra. We wouldn’t have seen them anyway. So, I’m ok with this, although, of course, I would’ve love to read it.

Avatar Image says:

Feorge, I saw the comments over at Amazon.com, and I totally agree with you. The book is soooo beautiful! I was so happy to see Bonnie and Evanna in the auction! =)

Avatar Image says:

Incredible. This was really great of Amazon to do that, I can think of no other organization who could possibly plan on a tour of the book other than them. I’m so happy it’s Amazon because they will share it with all of us fans :) This is really great for Children’s Voice ! To all of those who all of a sudden want to send their résumé : I don’t think Amazon puts the copy they have on a mere table for everyone to touch it and possibly steal it or spoil it, they probably keep it in a safe vault somewhere, waiting for the tour.

Avatar Image says:

It does look quite beautiful. I agree with budb and roonwit that mass publishing the book will not affect value of these handwritten copies and we can expect to see it sometime. Also agree we have no right to expect it. I’m convinced we will though. I like that Amazon are touring it (US/UK or both?) for people to see. What will they do with it afterwards I wonder?

Avatar Image says:

I am so happy Jo’s charity will get that huge sum of money and that the purchaser knows how to share. :) Remember the auction with the secret words from OotP? I feared Beedle would vanish into obscurity like that. I’m pleased to have been wrong!

Avatar Image says:

The review of the first story, the Hopping Pot, is up.

I’m looking forward to Rabbity Babbity myself….

Avatar Image says:

I have just been on the Amazon site and the review and photos are amazing. I am so pleased that a huge corporation has had the vision to consider sharing this with everyone but don’t read the reviews and posts unless you really want to be upset…. these extremely sad people are making terrible comments about Jo and Amazon. I just hope she hasn’t read them…

Avatar Image says:

AWESOME!!! Whatever charity or charities got that money are pretty lucky. 4 million dollars is alot of freakin’ money! I’m shocked to find out that Amazon.com is the one who bought the book. Does that mean they can make copies of it and sale them, since they now own a copy??

Avatar Image says:

Mags Robson – What planet do you live on ?

This "huge corporation" has its main obligation to its shareholders -not to us.

The only way that “Beedle” is ever going to be published is for Rowling and the publishers to be shamed into it.. Those who betray deserve what they get…...

Avatar Image says:

Way to go Amazon… that is a FANTASTIC way of saying “thank you” to Ms. Rowling, AND using it for your own “charity” of setting out to share this with children. Harry Potter has encouraged millions of children to read… I wonder how many children will be inspired to WRITE if they see a handwritten book such as this one.

Oh, and HOW LUCKY for the employees who get to review this book!!!! I wonder if the book is in Seattle…

I also wonder how great their security is… HA…. just kidding. But that book may only be 50 minutes away from me.

Avatar Image says:

If i had $4 million, i would have bought it !!!!!! I WANT IT NOW !!!!!!! JK is the best and whatever she writes is and is gonna be great !!!!

Avatar Image says:

What a wonderful Christmas present it would be for Harry Potter fans worldwide and for any charities so named if Rowling would work with Amazon.com and allow them to publish the book and work out an arrangement as to what percentage would go to charity. Unlike a publisher that would be selling it through bookstores and independent stores and having to give discounts up to 55%, Amazon could publish it and offer NO discount, since most of the money would be going to charity. To spice it up, Rowling could hand-sign a certain number of copies that would be randomly shipped out to customers worldwide.

Amazon, after all, is set up to sell worldwide through its various websites.

I have a copy of the Sotheby’s catalog and see that the charity in question is The Children’s Voice. So $4 million USD was raised by the sale of this book. I would estimate that $20+ million could be raised by selling copies of a mass market edition. Of course, it’s nice that fans and readers would be able to read a copy, but the important thing here is that no one is asking Rowling to write a check; instead, Amazon.com would be asking permission to publish the book, in a new economic model.

If this is hugely successful, it would prompt Amazon.com to do this with other authors for other charities, and we’d all benefit: We are, after all, all citizens of the world.

So, what do you guys think? How many of you out there would want to make a contribution to charity via buying a copy of the book from Amazon.com?

Avatar Image says:

So we get to hear the stories anyhow? I’m very happy Amazon bought it then! Bet I’m not half as happy as all those children it will help though… Awww, it makes me very happy! w

Dear Axis:

Amazon.com is currently publishing a synopsis of each story; they are NOT, however, publishing them because they don’t have the legal right to do so. The rights to publish the stories remain with JK Rowling.

I am only SUGGESTING a course of action, that it would be a good thing for everybody IF JK Rowling allowed the book’s publication through Amazon.com. As for whether Rowling will permit its publication, under any conditions, no one can say for sure. All we can do is wait and see.

Avatar Image says:

Scroll dn. for comments, and $$ comperisons.

Thanks again