115

Dec 19, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Additional casting has been announced for characters in the upcoming “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” film. As referenced briefly in the recent PotterCast interview with Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, the role of would be Gryffindor keeper Cormac McLaggen will be portrayed by actor Freddie Stroma. CBBC Newsround also reports that “18-year-old Louis Cordice will play Blaise Zabini, a Slytherin student who dislikes muggle borns.” Lovelorn Romilda Vane, who inadvertently causes Ron a bit of havoc, will be played by actress Anna Shaffer. Rounding out the casting updates includes word that actress Georgina Leonidas will take on the part of Gryffindor chaser Katie Bell, with her friend Leanne to be played by Isabella Laughland. Finally , actor Robert Knox will play Ravenclaw student Marcus Belby. As reported previously, many of the scenes with the students at Hogwarts will be filmed starting in early January. “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” will be released in theaters November 21, 2008.

Thanks Jennie and Radcakesfan!

109 Responses to “Half-Blood Prince” Casting News on McLaggen, Zabini, Romilda Vane and Katie Bell

Avatar Image says:

I’m so happy they’re including Cormac McLaggen, Katie Bell, and her friend. I didn’t even think her friend would get included because I can think of another way to do that scene without having to hire a specific actor. That’s cool!

(Who’s Marcus Belby? Was he in the book?)

Avatar Image says:

Oh, and it’s been a terribly long time since I’ve read HBP is ashamed but isn’t Cormac supposed to be, well, ugly and fat? Though then again Krum wasn’t supposed to be all that dashing either was he… movie Hermione just really lucks out I guess ;)

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if any of those girls came from the Lavender casting call…

Avatar Image says:

Well…interesting. I imagine Blaise will only have one line. I knew they had to cast Romilda Vane since they mentioned her in the Plot Summary.

Avatar Image says:

Anyone hear anything about Kreacher and Dobie being in it? The beginning scene with Dumbledore and the Dirsleys was also fun.

Avatar Image says:

Cormac is just supposed to be the jock type… to contrast Hermione and show that he’s really not what Hermione wants.

Avatar Image says:

@AmyL…..I don’t believe it has been confirmed that “the Gaunts” will be excluded. Speculation, only. I trust TLC will give the news, whatever it may be, concerning that… HOORAYYY! The Castlist grows…ever so slowly..but it grows, none the less!

Avatar Image says:

OOPS! Got posted twice! Gives me a chance to address another comment! (yay) I think they’ll wait, till the last minute, to cast ‘Dobby’ and ‘Kreacher’. They are, after all, “CGI” and will be only voice-cast.

Avatar Image says:

I hope we get pictures soon!

Avatar Image says:

this book harry potter and the half blood prince but now movie title must be ron weasley and hermione gringer. sorry but i’m very angry.hbp about harry,snape and tom riddle not ron not hermione not romantic.

Avatar Image says:

the upcoming movie should be great and the casting has already shown how good it will be:)

Avatar Image says:

CBBC has pictures of Cormac and Blaise: http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_7150000/newsid_7152200/7152288.stm

Thanks :D

Avatar Image says:

Yeah everything sound so excited i cant hardly wait, well i hope they include Gaunts i mean come on they need to include everyone that important for US.

Avatar Image says:

Cormac is not fat and ugly… he’s “broad-chested” and surly. I suppose tis means he’s fit and it mentions a few times he’s tall as well…

Avatar Image says:

@rickman fans: Your post is an incoherent mess. That being said, I believe what your trying to say is that you’re upset with what the film is being referred to as, a romantic-comedy. WB recently released the official description of the movie, it nails everything perfectly. The book is romance and comedy, 1/2 of the book is about relationships, the other half is Dumbledore’s death, and all of the gaunt memories and of course Harry tailing Malfoy.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for the pictures Chrysanthemum … Cormac looks cute … good catsing for Blaise as well … although I am wondering how many lines they will have … I guess we have Slug-club if they have casted Belby and Zabini and of course Cormac.

Avatar Image says:

Well I hope Blaise has more than one line, because that boy sho’ is fine!

Avatar Image says:

@jason: Well voiced! I think too many folks, here, are jumping to conclusions on few facts. Most of which, seem to eminate, from here! LOL. Keep a cool head, folks! Leaky seems to have a hold on things, here. Wait , for more information, before jumping off that cliff!

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for the pics, whomever posted the CBBC link. I hope Leaky puts them up for the rest of us, as I rarely read these comments! ;)

They sure are casting a lot of kids, but this may not mean they actually get more than a line or 2. Aberforth’s casting was a big deal last movie, but I don’t think he even spoke in the movie.

Thanks Leaky for keeping us up-to-date on all things Potter! :)

Avatar Image says:

Oooh, Louise is very good-looking. The scars in his eyebrows are unusual but quite sexy. He seems to have that cover boy smouldering stare down pretty well too!

The other guy looks prettier than I imagined Cormac. He looks almost like Hayden Christensen. But then again, who am I to complain about not one but TWO more cuties being added to the Harry Potter Movie Hotties roster?

Avatar Image says:

GET IN!!!!! Punches fist in the air. That has made my day. Can’t wait for HBP.

Avatar Image says:

The guy playing Cormac is hot.

Avatar Image says:

Oh la la…now we get up-dates on the minor characters :) – They all look great..that Zabini has already the ” “Pure-Blood” Slytherin we are all above you look ;-) – what say you folks – is it only my opinion or does it look like, we are going to get “a long running HBP? Say – three hours?

Avatar Image says:

Have they mentioned that Blaise is supposed to be hott?

Avatar Image says:

THE GUYS ARE HOT!!! I AM GOING TO LOVE THE MOVIE EVEN MORE!!!!

MORE HOT GUYS!!!!

Avatar Image says:

jason: for some reason ‘incoherent mess’ as relating to the post you were referencing is hysterical… well done bro.

Avatar Image says:

They’ve nailed Blaise, imo. I didn’t picture McLaggen being as handsome as the actor they picked, but I think JK just described him as big and burly, not in terms of attractiveness.

Avatar Image says:

Oh never mind, I’ve seen the pictures. wooooh fans self

Avatar Image says:

Freddie Stroma is so hot!! I would keep him!! XD I’m glad they are adding all this cast in the new film, isn’t it exciting?? I thought there wouldn’t be McLaggen at all!! =)

Avatar Image says:

Well all right! That article from not too long ago about the casting for HBP being complete worried me just a bit, though I had high hopes there would be more announcements. Yay! Sounds like they’re including quite a bit in this movie. And the pics look great, though I wish we could see more in the pics. Now all I need to hear is that they’ve contacted the guy who does Dobby’s voice, and the Dursleys would be icing on the cake.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with you, Mia!! With so many hot guys in HBP, we can’t but love the films even more!! XD

Avatar Image says:

This McLaggen is definitely going to make Ron jealous… not how I imagined him but it’s pretty obvious that the movie will be centered around romance.

Avatar Image says:

SP- “Harry Potter Movie Hotties roster” that was awesome, and accurate! That roster has gotten longer now hasn’t it? It’s getting to be too much for the HP lady fans to handle lol ;)

Freddie Stroma looks like a teenage Ryan Phillipe. I, for one, thoroughly approve of these casting choices, hehehe.

Avatar Image says:
  • is ded from teh happy *

I’m so happy all these parts have been cast, as I really wasn’t expecting half of those characters to be in the movie at all. Of course, as someone mentioned earlier, it doesn’t mean they’ll have more than a line or two, but it’s still great to know they’ll be in the film. I’m especially happy about Katie Bell and her friend Leanne; I always thought that scene with Katie and the necklace would look awesome onscreen.

On an unrelated note, in another article, Katie Leung has said that she’ll be coming back for HBP as Cho Chang. This surprised me, as Cho is only in one blink-and-you-missed-it scene in the book, but Katie said that there was “still some jealousy with Ginny” to be resolved, so I suppose they’ve embellished that storyline. Although now I’m wondering if she means that Ginny will be jealous of Cho (she was in the OotP film, after all), or if Cho will be jealous of Ginny… or maybe both… Either way, it’ll be interesting to see what they do with it.

I can understand why those who don’t enjoy the romances aren’t happy with all the movie news, but as a shipper myself, I’m absolutely delighted. Anyway, HBP the book is easily the most romance-filled of the series, so it only makes sense that the movie would be as well. Don’t worry, all you anti-shippers, they’ll be back to the action-adventure stuff when they start filming DH. ;)

Avatar Image says:

Just had a proper look at the new Blaise… mmmmm, I like. :D Hope we see pics of the others soon!

Avatar Image says:

Jason – not every HP fan has English as a first language. You’re comment was overly harsh.

Avatar Image says:

jumps out of chair and screams/squeals while running around room and around house OMG!!!! BLAISE ZABINI IS IN THE MOVIE!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I’m SOOOO happy now! All I cared about was that Blaise was in the movie, and well, NOW HE IS!!!!! Now, people will FINALLY see Blaise for what he is and STOP writing him differently in Fanfiction! HA ALL YOU PEOPLE! And as a plus, he is GORGEOUS! squeals loudly So wait: is Blaise Italian? I never figured it out…if so, I wonder if he has a hot accent…hmm…

Avatar Image says:

you girls are so funny!... and you say that us guys objectify females… well, i’m seeing a lot of you doing some pretty hefty objectification of dudes… lol…

Avatar Image says:

Yes well I suppose if they continue to keep bringing the sexy back, who are we to say otherwise? ;)

Avatar Image says:

@nick: LOL, hey, you guys can drool over the girls all you like! It’s only fair you get equal time!

Most of these boys are a bit young for me, but I will say that Dan Radcliffe is growing up nicely…

Avatar Image says:

batman theme black guy! da da da da da da da da black guy! we got blaise! YAY!

Avatar Image says:

hey courtney. blaise is definitely black.

Avatar Image says:

Hmm… well, this dashes rumors about Cho being in the movie because she was going to be the one with the cursed necklace. Now what is her purpose? To stand around and look pretty? I’m curious.

Annd, I’m glad they’re suddenly adding book characters that have yet to really be introduced in the movies. I think Yates has a good influence since he’s actually read all of the books and is not childish about them. I’m glad the films are a bit more mature. Good casting choice for Blaise, but McClaggen is a little too attractive! lol I always imagined someone much larger and not more attractive than Ron. Ah well, Hollywood has to pick “attractive” people, otherwise who would us “normal” folk pine over?

Oh God, R/HR is going to be so hilarious- especially when Hermione says “Oh, no, I prefer really good Quidditch players” or something to that extent. Classic pwn! lines. :)

Avatar Image says:

does anyone have or have seen a picture of the girl who plays Romilda? ya, she is in the movie!! I’m going to love the chocolate cauldron sequence

and is the girl playing Katie bell the same one as the first two movies (look here: http://www.vangor.de/hogwarts/leute/Katie_Bell.jpg)

or is she a new one?

Avatar Image says:

Zabini isn’t quite the guy I had in mind for him; I always thought him lokking like Pharrel Williams, but as he is far too old already, a rapper and an American I never expected him to see in a minor HP role. Louise will do.

Freddy Stroma looks a bit too delicate and gentle to me for the big bragger McLaggen…. btw I thought it very funny that Rowlings actually thought Matthew Lewis was the guy they had found for McLaggen, till she realised how big and cool Matthew had grown.

but lets not get our nicker in a twist: before OotP was realesed we all made a big fuss about the actore choosen for young Snape and the oung Maraunders and what did we eventually got to see of them?..... next to nothing, could be thesame in the Slughorn-scene.

Here’s a pic of Leanne:

Hope that works, it’s from this agency website:

Avatar Image says:

Emily, its another actor playing Katie, it was Emily Dale in CoS.

Why is Belby a named role?

I’m updating my cast list, trying to keep track of who has played which role in the past, etc. and figure out who should be in HBP and DH. There are some gaps, but, here goes (the minor roles are at the bottom) (hope the formatting holds!)

Daniel Radcliffe … Harry Potter Emma Watson … Hermione Granger Rupert Grint … Ron Weasley Chris Rankin … Percy Weasley Imelda Staunton … Dolores Umbridge Helen McCrory Narcissa Malfoy Jamie Waylett … Vincent Crabbe Josh Herdman … Gregory Goyle John Cleese … Nearly Headless Nick Terence Bayler … The Bloody Baron Simon Fisher-Becker … Fat Friar Nina Young … The Grey Lady Gemma Jones … Madam Pomfrey Shirley Henderson … Moaning Myrtle Horace Slughorn Jim Broadbent

Katie Leung ...  Cho Chang
Matthew Lewis ...  Neville Longbottom
Evanna Lynch ...  Luna Lovegood
Devon Murray ...  Seamus Finnigan
Alfie Enoch ...  Dean Thomas
Afshan Azad ...  Padma Patil
Shefali Chowdhury ...  Parvati Patil
Jim McManus ...  Barman =Aberforth
Sam Beazley ...  Everard (portrait)
John Atterbury ...  Phineas (portrait)
Helena Bonham Carter ...  Bellatrix Lestrange
Timothy Spall ...  Peter Pettigrew
Alec Hopkins ...  Young Severus Snape
Robbie Jarvis ...  Young James Potter
James Walters ...  Young Sirius Black
Charles Hughes ...  Young Peter Pettigrew
James Utechin ...  Young Remus Lupin

Elphias Dodge …. in OotP (non-speaking) was this Peter Cartwright? Emeline Vance …. in Ootp (non-speaking) Clémence Poésy … Fleur Delacour

Stanislav Ianevski ...  Viktor Krum

Genevieve Gaunt … Pansy Parkinson Eleanor Columbus … Susan Bones Luke Youngblood … Lee Jordan Louis Doyle … Ernie MacMillan Charlotte Skeoch … Hannah Abbott

and William Melling … Nigel

minor characters that briefly showed up in earlier films, and who played them:

Mr. Borgin …Edward Tudor-Pole in CoS

Lavendar Brown …Jennifer Smith in PoA (Jessie Cave in HBP)

Katie Bell … Emily Dale in CoS; Georgina Leonidas in HBP

here are the characters that are new for HBP or DH:

Rufus Scrimgeour

Marvolo Gaunt

Morfin Gaunt

Merope Gaunt

Mudumgus Fletcher—how can he be cut out entirely, given DH?

Tom Riddle Sr.? —can easily be left out.

Fenrir Greyback

Demelza Robins

“Leanne, Katie’s Friend” Isabella Laughland

Tom Riddle at 11 Hero Fiennes Tiffin

Tom Riddle late teens/early adult Frank Dillane

Serverus Snape at 11

Marcus Belby Robert Knox in HBP*

for some reason, looks like I forgot Angelina Johnson, need to double check and update my list.

Avatar Image says:

Can anyone find a picture of Georgina Leonidas? I’ve been looking for her but have only found pictures of her sister Stephanie. And while Stephanie Leonidas was awesome in Mirrormask, she most definitely is not the correct individual.

Avatar Image says:

ah well, sorry, that didn’t post as neatly as I hoped it would

Avatar Image says:

Here is a pic of Katie that was put up on the Lounge, but I don’t know if it is accurate or not:

Avatar Image says:

Oh this is exciting! Im so glad it sounds like they are really taking time and telling the story!! Ootp was the best so far, I may think even more of HBP!!

Avatar Image says:

i cant belive that Georgina is playing Katie Bell..i recentley watched her in basil brush and i think she is a good acrtress but she looks way to young to be katie bell!!! she looks about 16 which is obvioulsy younger than daniel , emma , rupert and co and i thought katie was ment to be older than them..correct me if im wrong but i just cant believe she has been given the part of katie

Avatar Image says:

Maybe she’s good at screaming.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, Cormac dude is hot. Emma’s got to be loving this casting. Have to say I’m looking foreward to the Ron and Hermione showdown. Should be funny. The party scene in HBP with Hermione and Cormac was hilarious.

Avatar Image says:

The guys playing Cormac and Blaze are HOT. Nice one.

But that is so not how I pictured Blaze in my head. I always pictures a younger version of Keanu Reeves.

I really need to re-read PS & HBP to get his description cause I don’t remember any.

Yay for more casting news! (We want pics!) Booh for still no Gaunts. :(

Avatar Image says:

Also if the characters of Katie and Leanne have been casted then seriously can someone please tell me what the hell Cho is going to be doing (as lots of forums have been saying that it was likely that Cho would find the necklace).

Her salary could be going to someone playing Bill who actually needs to be in the movie.

Avatar Image says:

I guess I should start off by saying this is my first time posting on Leaky. Well actually, it’s my first time posting on any Harry Potter site even though I’ve been a fan for ages. Anyway, I’ve decided to come out of lurkdom because I need to put my two cents into this discussion.

I’ve been reading every epdate Leaky has posted about the HBP filming, so I’m well aware of the direction the film seems to be going! And I couldn’t be happier! I’m a shipper and the romance in HBP is one of the main reason why it is my second favrotie book, DH being the first!

I feel the relationships are extremely important in book 6 because it sets up for what the characters are fighting for in book 7. I mean we all know love is the one thing Voldemort could never understand. It is Harry’s strength against him.

I don’t understand how people can say HBP is a very dark book because aside from the last 150 pages or so, it is a 50/50 combination of romance and LV’s past.

I realize the book is named after Snape, but it is not Snape physically that is important, it is his presense within Harry’s potions book that is. We hardly see Snape, aside from helping Draco, till we reach the end of the novel. He just seems to be there because he is, in the form of the half-blood prince.

The book is about Harry’s relationship with Dumbledore, his struggle between his friendship with Ron and his feelings for Ginny, LV’s past, and the continuing growth of the relationship between Ron and Hermione. The half-blood prince is kinda a subplot that causes turmoil for the main plot.

The movie seems to be touching base on the important plotline. We are seeing a lot of Michael Gambon (wish it was Richard Harris). There is talk of horcruxes, which, of course, goes hand in hand with the relationship that develops between Dumbledore and Harry. We’ve seen a snippet of a Harry and Ginny scene (squeeee We’ve already seen a picture of the potions book. And we have all the casting for Hogwarts kids, which effects Ron and Hermione majorly.

I was sure characters like Leanne, Romilda, and Blaise would be on the cutting room floor, bu they’re NOT! We should be seeing the cauldron cakes scene, which is so good for Ron and Hermione! The necklace scene, which is surprising but wonderful! Cormac does seem a bit more attractive then I imagined, but that tends to heppen concerning the actors, but the wardrobe and make-up departments do a great job wizarding up their actors to look like they should! And we must remember, that these characters will probably get very little screen time, and it could very well be cut.

People are also concerned about Katie Leung being in the film. I think it’s brilliant because I have a distinct feeling will be seeing the Gryffindors playing the Quidditch final against Ravenclaw while we see Harry in detention with Snape. Kinda a montage of the two, and we will be left with the cliffhanger of Cho and Ginny racing for the snitch. Then, of course, we see Harry enter the common room to learn that Ginny caught the snitch, which leads to their wonderful first kiss!

So basically, I happy! The movie is gonna be a 50/50 conbination like the book, which is perfect! Don’t worry too much that is just gonna be romance. WB is just playing that side up because it’s what people are interested in! :)

Avatar Image says:

I’m pretty sure they’re going to invent more Harry/Cho drama since they didn’t properly end the relationship in the last film. Because, you know, Harry/Cho is SO popular and wonderful that everyone is just dying for more… err… =/

Avatar Image says:

Who is marcus belby? anyone knows?? I don` t remember his name in the book. its good to see that we are gonna have Cormac, katie and her friend..but Romilda…only because she gave a box of chocolate…Its so strange!!!

Avatar Image says:

I cannot wait this movie is gonna be awesome!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Isn’t Marcus Belby the Ravenclaw team captain?

Avatar Image says:

Marcus Belby was in Slughorn’s coach, the boy who nearly choked.

If WB’s confirmed it for The Snitch, why did they not confirm it for anyone else, or release any official statement?

Avatar Image says:

LOL isn’t that Miss Molly from the Basil Brush show?! xDDDD Excellent.

Seen a picture of that Isabella girl, she’s alright: http://www.thebwhagency.co.uk/s1te/images/stories/clients/Isabella.Laughland.jpg I don’t think they could really go wrong with such a small part lol :P

Blaise, perfect.

Avatar Image says:

Nope! I was wrong. Marcus is part of the Slug Club. He’s the one that chokes on a pheasant.

Avatar Image says:

I am so stoked these minor characters are going to be included. Fair enough they aren’t pivotal to the storyline, and could be left out, but it’s the little things like this that make the movies more realistic. That little scene of Ron stuffing his face in OotP made my day. It’s little snippets of characterisation and realistic characters that make the movies run well.

As for Bill and Fluer. I have said this many times to other people on other sites but I’’ put it forward here:

“I don’t think it’s important that Bill is seen in the movie. I think that, because there are other more important things going on, the relationship between he and Fleur can be intorduced successfully though Ginny and Ron talking about them at the beginning at The Burrow or on the train, then maybe later in the year, they can get an owl from Mrs. Weasley saying that Bill and Fleur are to be married over the Summer at The Burrow, or because ther are rumours around that they are including The Burrow at Christmas, they can find out about the engagement then.

Throw in a few grumbles from the girls and defences from Ron, and I think it can be done. Bill’s injuries can be reported second-hand through Mrs. Weasley at the end and she can say something that alerts them to the fact she misjudged her (without sounding like she’s admitting she was wrong).

People just have to get so worked up before thinking of other possibilities. Think outside the square. Kloves is the writer for DH as well. He clearly has a plan about how he is going to introduce this stuff successfully for DH. He had a few months before they started filming to play around with the script and alter it once he knew what was happening in DH. “

This is exactly what I said on imdb. I couldn’t be bother typing it all up again.

Avatar Image says:

Weren’t we already supposed to have the “full” cast list, and wasn’t it without these characters? I hope they go on to cast characters who are actually important to the plot.

I thought it was nice that they cast Zabini as practically the mirror image of Makani’s drawing.

Still lots of complaints about Michael Gambon, but I agree with Jo in the podcast: give him a break. It’s surprising how spot on his performance is in PoA, knowing what we know now. Dumbledore ain’t no Santa Claus, so get over it.

Avatar Image says:

BASIL BRUSH!! I’m from Spain and they aired that show here!! ^^ I’ve watched it on TV some times!! LOL!! XD I must have seen that girl loads of times!!

Fancy that!! I’ve seen Isabella and Jessie dozens of times (Jessie made a Nokia commercial) and never imagined that one day I would be seeing them in a HP film!! Had I known then… =)

Oops!! I meant Georgina, not Isabella, sorry!! ^^

Avatar Image says:

Well, the Gaunts could probably be dealt with using non-speaking extras and in misty Pensieve flashbacks narrated by Dumbledore….

except for one crucial item: Marvolo and the Peverell Ring. We know that crucial information comes into play in DH.

11 months, 2 days, and we’ll know, huh?

Avatar Image says:

I found just the one pic of Gerogina Leonidas, This is pretty early in her Basil Brush career so shes a bit younger then she is today but still…. http://www.antoniogenna.net/doppiaggio/telefilm/basilbrush.jpg

Avatar Image says:

I just saw a pic of Anna Shaffer, she is so beautiful, and just like I imagined Romilda. I can not wait to see the scenes with Harry and her, those were so funny in HBP lol I loved how she was after him all the time and tried to “poison” him, and how Harry reacted all the time.

“1/2 of the book is about relationships,”

No way, not even 1/3 the book is about that, most of it is abour Horcruxes, Harry learning about Voldemort’s past, Dumbledore, Snape etc I agree with those who think the movie makers seem to be giving to much importance to things that are not the most important in the book. It seems they have forgotten about characters like Lupin just to show stuff like quidditch, which we have already seen many times. And giving time to characters like Lavender… I think Lupin or Snape are much more important.

Like I said it’s fun to see things like Harry/Romilda stuff, but I hope most of the movie is not about that. If they want romance, I hope the give enough time to Harry and Ginny, now, that’s the most important relationship in HBP. And the Romilda stuff can show Ginny a little jealous so it’s good in my opinion.

Avatar Image says:

Victoria!!! Where’d you find the picture? Share the love!

Avatar Image says:

I was hoping that Emily Dale was going to reprise her role as Katie Bell. Esp. since she played the character in the first two movies. Guess you can’t keep the case continuous all the time. :(

Avatar Image says:

the guy who plays mcclaggen looks like a male model lol

Avatar Image says:

Wait, how old is the girl who will play Romilda?

Avatar Image says:

@Victoria: Not even a 1/3 of the book is about relationships? How do you come up with that statistic? Think about all the scenes in the book that have to do with either a growing relationship or an existing relationship. Ginny and Dean (from going out to break-up), drama between Ron and Hermione (trying out for quidditch, Slughorn’s party, Hermione sending birds at Ron), Ron and Lavender (making out non-stop through out the book, trying to avoid her in the end), Harry’s thoughts about Ginny and the conflict of him wanting to act on these feelings but not betray Ron. I am sure there are several more scenes. I don’t know how you see this as less than a third of the book. It’s extremely important to build these relationships correctly. The fact that you take the other things in the book as being more important, does not mean everything else is less important, nor does it change the fact that the romance in the book is most certainly more than a third of the book. One could argue it being half of the book’s main focus, but I will say it is nearly half of the story of book 6.

Avatar Image says:

Yay!!!! I’m so glad that they’ve included Katie Bell…. Although I’m a bit sad about the absence of the Gaunts and Hepsibah Smith…

Avatar Image says:

I don’t believe it. Anyone could have said they were WB and posted it to them

Avatar Image says:

Could someone please post a picture of the girl they cast for Romilda Vane?

Avatar Image says:

Freddie Stroma (McLaggen) looks so pretty good looking in the picture i saw of him. I can’t wait to see Ron all pissed off!!

Avatar Image says:

‘Weren’t we already supposed to have the “full” cast list, and wasn’t it without these characters?’ – will orwont

No, that is not correct. It was confirmed that casting was complete, and a list of cast members was released, but it was not a complete cast list.

Avatar Image says:

Anyone know what happened to the original Katie Bell – Emily Dale? too old now or not interested?

Jeah!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I must agree. rickman fans READ THE BOOK AGAIN because you obviously missed the entire thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m so thrilled Mclaggen is in!

a couple of thoughts -

not being a shipper I think it might be enjoyable to see more of the general school life with all these new young cast members. All these additional people will balance against the shipping aspect of the first half of the book eg Quidditch trials, Slug club party (and if Luna says that line about the Rotfang conspiracy I’ll be very happy!). Both of these are also important RE the R/Hr relationship, his lack of confidence, exclusion from Slug Club, jealousy etc.

another part of the first half of HBP is the potions book, which seems largely irrelevant to me now but must feature otherwise the film title will be meaningless! They need sectumsempra.

but for me the most important part of HBP is the memories that Harry and DD see together. The only thing about not having the Gaunts is how are they going to get across about the locket being Slytherin’s and the ring being Peverell, and that both belonged once to the Gaunts? Have they cast Hez Smith and/or Burke to explain the provenance of the locket? To me, the Peverell connection is most important of all and I can’t see how that will be explained without the Gaunt memory.

Avatar Image says:

This happens every time. The film will never be as rich as the book and is always limited to the combined imaginations of the director and whoever adapted it. I love the films and adore the books, but side by side comparisons are only going to make you miserable!

Enjoy the blessings of Potter where you can!

Avatar Image says:

This gives me great hope that more of the little stuff will be included. HBP and DH have so much sub-plot that just CANNOT be left out. I am so excited and so absolutely terrified to see them brought to life on film. I have tried to put the film version of GOF behind me but it haunts me still… shiver

will alfie enoch be in the 6th movie he plays dean thomas

Avatar Image says:

The wording by Yates, if I remember right, was “all of our cast is back”. So, unless specifically told otherwise, I take that to mean the “regulars”, including Alfie Enoch, are returning

Avatar Image says:

It is absolutely RIDICULOUS to try to put forth an HBP movie without the Gaunts or Hepzibah! LV’s backstory is HUGELY IMPORTANT in both books 6 & 7, not to mention the whole issue of Horcruxes! How on earth are they going to get around the absolute necessity of these characters in the story?!

Avatar Image says:

@rickmanfan; It’s all in the booik! It’s canon! It’s not all about Ron/Hermione/Lavender/McLaggen, anyway! I mean, it will be a big part of it, but I mean, It’s not like the new actors are going to have a HUGE part in this and take over! We all know it’s about Harry/Snape/Tom.. ect. Just, stop moaning! Jeeze!

Avatar Image says:

WendyE, Neither the Gaunts nor Hepzibah are necessary to the story. It IS necessary that we see Tom with Slytherins locket, Hufflepuffs cup, and the Peverell ring. There are other ways of showing him obtaining those items, we could see him breaking into Borgin & Burkes, and killing a clerk in order to steal them.

That was just one example (and kind of a lame one) but my point is: it is the artifacts that are important, not whom he gets them from.

Avatar Image says:

I found Georgina Leonidas on FACEBOOK!!!

Posted by Violet Baudelaire on December 20, 2007 @ 05:48 PM
But if you’re going to spend time putting it in, why not spend the time to do it RIGHT. These (at least the Gaunts) are LV’s RELATIVES and I really think the story needs to be told correctly. I would MUCH rather watch a correctly done LV backstory than silliness with Ron/Lav, etc.
Avatar Image says:

just eleven months, the film will be out, and we’ll know!

Avatar Image says:

the actress that is playing Katie Bell is from The Basil Brush Show she plays Miss Molly.

Avatar Image says:

After reading all of this I think that its time that I refreashed and re-read the book! It seems as thou I have forgotten alot about it since I first read it a long time ago.

Avatar Image says:

i know this is off-topic, and i know there’s not a better way for you guys to say it, but i hate when people say ‘canon’... it sounds so… important. after all, god love harry potter, but it’s not like we’re talking ‘the odyssey’ or something!

Avatar Image says:

YESS! Hooray! Cormac Mclaggen is going to be in here! I’ve always wanted to punch him ever since I read about him; now I’ll actually have a sort of person to think about punching. Lol! :) Romilda Vane also?! Wow. How WONDERFUL! This movie is really going to be terrific. (=

Avatar Image says:

Whoa , wait. Wow. Cormac looks doesn’t look how I pictured him! He actually … looks pretty good looking! I imagined Cormac to be a thick, bossy-faced, puggy-faced, chubby guy! :) But YAY! That guy is going to play Zabini ! He’s EXACTLY how I pictured him!

Avatar Image says:

are they gonna have Lavender Brown in this one b/c shes got a part in this book with ron!

What about Rufus?!

Avatar Image says:

Have they cast Ron’s brother Bill and girl friend yet. They are major players in the fight at the end of Half Blood Prince.

Avatar Image says:

omg guys i found romilda vanes facebook..well the girl that plays her anyway!! just search anna shaffer on facebook!!! im so going to add her as a friend

Avatar Image says:

why have they cast georgina leonidas? i don’t like her. she always sounds like she has a blocked nose and wouldn’t she be too young? she’ll look younger than the trio :(

Avatar Image says:

Freddie is cute & adorable.

Write a Reply or Comment