J.K. Rowling named Runner-Up for Time’s Person of the Year

100

Dec 19, 2007

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

Time.com‘s Person of the Year (Vladimir Putin) was announced this morning. Though we knew JK Rowling was on the shortlist, the nominees have all been profiled on the magazine’s Web site. J.K. Rowling’s profile spans the whole phenomenon, the author’s plans, and more.

The article also mentions the HP Alliance‘s summer podcast (as played on PotterCast), “Becoming Dumbledore’s Army.” The episode saw more than 100,000 downloads and, “In the days that followed, the student antigenocide coalition stand saw a 40% increase in sign-ups for high school chapters and a 52% increase in calls to its hotline, 1-800-GENOCIDE.”

“When asked about the group, Rowling practically levitates off the couch, spilling her coffee along the way. “It’s incredible, it’s humbling, and it’s uplifting to see people going out there and doing that in the name of your character,” she says. She’s especially pleased by the group’s choice of mission, and the old Amnesty International worker in her surfaces. “What did my books preach against throughout? Bigotry, violence, struggles for power, no matter what. All of these things are happening in Darfur. So they really couldn’t have chosen a better cause.”

TIME has also put up a 10 Questions article in which we learn whom Draco married (more on this is also to be on the next PotterCast) and hear more about those who came from the Resurrection Stone, the epilogue, and more.

52 Responses to J.K. Rowling named Runner-Up for Time’s Person of the Year

Avatar Image says:

I’m still annoyed about Putin winning. JO ALL THE WAY!

Oh well. I’ll buy the magazine anyway if this is in it.

Avatar Image says:

Tonks! A Hufflepuff! I LOVE all the backstory!

Avatar Image says:

“(more on this is also to be on the next PotterCast)”

YES! I’m looking foward to hear more about everybody; everything actually, when it comes from Jo herself.

Avatar Image says:

I guess Putin affected my life more this past year than Rowling.

Congrats, Jo!

Avatar Image says:

She said in the article that she has weak moments where she considers an 8th book, perhaps centered around someone other than Harry… I’m glad to know she hasn’t ruled out writing about the magical world completely! Maybe someday… Long Live Harry Potter!

Avatar Image says:

I am never surprised by JKR. The interview, with Time, was full of heart-felt and often thought provoking things. I would have put her above Al Gore, but I think, that’s because I think he’s a putz. It really has nothing to do with JKR. She is and will always be a fantastic influence on the world. A good one! Congratulations, Jo! Can’t wait to hear more, from you, on PotterCast!

Avatar Image says:

Nice, finally i know who is the wife of Draco xD BlogHogwarts.com

Avatar Image says:

Truth be told, I thought Al Gore should have gotten the prize. I’m still trying to remember if Putin did ANYTHING this year.

Having said that, hats off to Jo! TIME would probably never make her Person of the Year (hypothetical situation in the editors room: “What are we, Entertainment Weekly?”), but I feel third place is more than excellent, for me at least. Well, actually second place, knocking Putin away.

Avatar Image says:

That’s strange… in Time, Jo says Ron works at F&G’s joke shop as an adult, put in the PotterCast, she said he went straight to the ministry with Harry to be an auror. Which one is it?

Avatar Image says:

(I am from Russia!) OH MY GOD!!! Putin! the first place! he did nothing incredible! it is unfair! JOAN RULES!!

Avatar Image says:

Hannah: She also said auror in the MSNBC interview.

Avatar Image says:

ETA: At the top it says: In her interview with TIME and in webchats with fans, the Harry Potter author reveals a few more secrets

So TIME pulled the joke shop conclusion from the webchat with Bloomsbury.

Either way two out of three answers being auror, including the most recent one, that’s the one I take as canon. Plus, I like it far better.

Avatar Image says:

Well done, Jo.. Don’t quite know about you guys, but I’m willing to wait 10 years for the Encyclopaedia.. The “Scottish Book” , as she’d say… =]

Avatar Image says:

Ron was both an auror and then worked in the joke shop, as Neville was an auror and then was a teacher at Hogwarts.

Avatar Image says:

I love Jo and she doesn’t need to be Time’s Person of the year. She already knows that she is all of our Person of our Lives. Who needs a magazine to tell them what they are!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, although Ron stayed as an Auror only till he was needed.. Say, after all the Death Eaters were rounded up, did the Auror Department have much of a job? Or did they just protect, in general??

Avatar Image says:

Becca: Where’d you pull that conclusion from? In the MSNBC it said “Harry and Ron revolutionized the auror department” which doesn’t strike me as a temporary gig. She also spoke of his work as an auror in present tense.

“Harry and Ron utterly revolutionized the Auror Department,” Rowling said. “They are now the experts. It doesn’t matter how old they are or what else they’ve done.”

I saw it as the other way around- that he helped George get back on his feet at the joke shop and then went on to being an auror. She even answered with joke shop in reference to what they did right after Hogwarts.

But if she never mentions it again, I sort of see the joke shop as null. Maybe she just decided against it, realizing they’d need his help ASAP. I do like the idea of him helping out, but I really dislike the idea of him staying there permanently. The trio should be together, nothing else seems appropriate to me.

Avatar Image says:

PUTIN? WHAT THE HELL! Jo did more this year. Ugh.

Avatar Image says:

Great interview as usual Jo! As to the whole “Ron” debate. In the interview with Pottercast, she said that Harry and Ron didn’t graduate, but started right away to help rebuild the ministry as aurors. So, to me he could have easily done both, worked as an auror and helped George out in the shop. I don’t see why it has to be one or the other.

Avatar Image says:

AnotherWeasley: I do agree with this. I sort of like the idea of Ron helping out George from time to time not so much as a job, but just because someone in his family could use some assistance. Maybe during those back to school rush days when all the kids come to Diagon Alley, or if he needs help working up some particular product. That seems sweet to me.

Avatar Image says:

Anotherweasley and Kelly, I third your comments. Ron could certainly do both, and why not? Ron may need a break from the serious nature of his work as an Auror to get his laughs in and work with his brother at WWW. The Weasley’s are a tight knit family as well, they back each other up, and I have a feeling that George’s family would rally around him in a heartbeat, after all..he is missing his other half :(::

On a happier note- Jo, lovely interview. It was nice to read this alongside Leaky’s interview on Pottercast Part I. Previously, I had never heard Jo’s voice and it was just such a wonderful experience.. and her great, full laugh was so amazing! Thanks again Leaky! (for the third time haha) :)

Avatar Image says:

OK, that interview was absolutely wonderful. Finally, a reporter who “gets it.” Really lovely to hear Jo talking about the HP alliance – think I’ll have to wear my HPA tshirt today!

Avatar Image says:

This is an amazingly well written article. I loved reading about all the different weird things that people have done in the name of harry potter. I hope someone expands on that in their book *wink wink

Avatar Image says:

RUNNER UP!!!!!!! What world to these people live in? He just won because he isthe leader of a country, and i heard little of him this year! Where as Jo ruled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a crocky —-cop out -- choice.

Avatar Image says:

Putin?! He’s like a dictator! I’m really shocked.

Avatar Image says:

Wait, is she implying that Teddy was in Hufflepuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really hope so!

Avatar Image says:

Astoria Greengrass? Interesting. I was hoping that the very question of Draco’s wife would be addressed in the PC special. I’m happy to hear my wishes will come true. :)

Avatar Image says:

THAT’S DUMB!!! BS! Jo definitely did more than anyone on the list. But it doesn’t matter what Time’s or anyone things, she has her fans who support her and love her with everything that she puts out there.

Avatar Image says:

Time Person of the Year isn’t a popularity contest, it’s not about who’s the nicest or most popular person of the year, it’s about who they think has had the greatest influence in a particular year, who provided leadership, good or bad. Adolf Hitler won in 1939 and I think we can all agree he wasn’t a nice guy, but he was the most influential person of that year.

While I might not necessarily agree with their choice, I can see their reasoning. While Putin may not be the most democratic of leaders, he has helped put Russia back on the map and he will play a major role in how Russia takes it’s place in the world in the coming years, and that’s important, whether we agree with how he is doing it or not.

I would have loved it if Jo had been named, given her role in getting children to read again, not to mention her charity work, but that wasn’t to be.

Congrats, HPA!!!

Avatar Image says:

With regard to the Ron’s job discussion, I think it is possible that George also did a spell as an Auror, or whatever title those cleaning up the Ministry were given, rather than going straight back to the shop (perhaps running WWW as mail order in his spare time for a while).

Is that a joke? Putin?

Avatar Image says:

Now, let’s give credit where credit is due. Putin DID sacrifice his life for Harry, Ron, and Hermione and was instrumental in their defeat of Voldemort. Oh, wait . . . that was Dobby. I always get them confused.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t believe Jo didn’t win. Oh well, the info about Draco marrying Astoria was pretty cool.

Avatar Image says:

Pootin stinks. Ah, well….two great Jo-related things in one week! :D Astoria Greengrass is a kick-arse name. And also, I think she deserves EW’s Person of the Year more because TIME is a political magazine. :D I WANT THE SCOTTISH BOOK RIGHT NOW, DAMMIT!

Avatar Image says:

Lets list some people who affected my life this year: Al Gore: I recycle now! Hilary Clinton: makes me uncomfortable Barack Obama: makes me like politics Vladimir Putin: I appreciate my free speech and democratic choices, and get the willies when I look at him

Yep, I think that about covers my life in 2007. Way to go Time!

I’m confused:

“That’s how I always planned it, from when the first book was finished, that the three marauders and his mother would come back…So I wanted Harry to be surrounded by his mother and James and Sirius and Lupin, all of whom had died in a way for him. You know Lupin had laid down his life in Harry’s battle, he didn’t have to come back, he didn’t have to fight.”

Didn’t she intend Lupin not to die?

Avatar Image says:

well, to the best of my knowledge Jo hasn’t revealed when she changed her mind about lupin die. Remember, Arthur was originally gonna die in OOTP, but she changed that. And that was around 5 years ago that she wrote that.

Its quite possible Jo changed her mind about Lupin dying quite some time ago.

Avatar Image says:

blahh-she deserves number one. PERIOD.

Avatar Image says:

David: Yeah I thought that odd as well, but I was more just confused by the question period. Granted, Fred was the death that hit me hardest. But why would he be there? That would just be… random.

Avatar Image says:

congratulations, Jo! you are the person of the year for us. =)

on Draco and Daphne—ooh i wonder what Pansy felt about this?? that Daphne was even her friend.

who the hell’s Putin? seriously, i don’t know.

Avatar Image says:

“The trio should be together, nothing else seems appropriate to me.”

Why do they need to work together to prove that? R/Hr are married. harry is their brother-in-law. They’re best friends. That’s together enough for me. I hate the idea of Ron being nothing but harry’s sidekick for the rest of his life, therefore I think it’s really cool that he turned out to have a head for business at WWW. He can help revoutionise the Auror dept because it’s a part of his post war duty and then went on to do something he wanted for himself. Sounds cool to me.

Avatar Image says:

Putin is hotter than Jo Rowling! we all agree :))

Avatar Image says:

I wanna know , did harry ever played a quidditch world cup…..

Avatar Image says:

Iona: Because Harry and Ron do everything together, always have. It seems appropriate to me that the trio works together and continues to work together to help reinvent the wizarding world.

Umm Ron wanted to be an auror too, keep that in mind. So that is doing something he wanted for himself. I might be wrong but I think Ron even expressed concrete interest in being an auror before Harry did. He never once has expressed any interest in helping out with the joke shop, so how is that doing what he wants for himself? And as it’s George’s shop wouldn’t he just be George’s “sidekick?”

Avatar Image says:

Kelly- I ‘pulled that conclusion’ from Jo’s implication that although Hermione went back to Hogwarts, Harry, Ron & Neville went straight to the Ministry to be aurors to help rebuild the magical community after the war. Obviously that once things were back to normal, not as many aurors would be needed; Neville left to be a teacher and as we know Ron works at the joke shop it just seemed logical to me that he would go from the Ministry to the joke shop! =)

Avatar Image says:

Becca: But as I said auror is referred to in present tense- now 2007. Joke shop was referred to in the past tense. I know it’s a nitpicky thing but honestly if she is going to contradict herself as she did possibly do (although as I said- 2/3 auror speaks in its favor imho), it’s really the only way I think a conclusion can be pulled. Although to be honest I’m really set on the auror thing, and I was ecstatic when she seemingly confirmed it once again in the Podcast. I’m really surprised that it’s still being argued.

She spoke of him working as an auror in present tense as stated before in her quote about their current roles at the ministry. Also, this is the first time she’s alluded to Neville doing cleanup work. Harry and Ron are emphasized in the now. Ron wanted to be an auror (I think people forget this), what reason would he have not to do it and to leave when not as many aurors are needed? Why wouldn’t he be one of the aurors that stays? It isn’t like Neville who expressed no interest in it before then but probably agreed to do it as a temp work. It’s silly that she’d give everyone but Ron the job they wanted.

Ron is funny (as in he has a genuine wit, he says funny things), but he’s not a prankster. He likes the shop’s products (but so does everyone else), but he never goes out of his way to play or make jokes. He’s not intentionally funny and he’s not very charismatic either like a businessman would need to be. I can definitely see him helping out, but Ron working in the joke shop doesn’t strike me as a career that he’d be particularly good at it or he would enjoy much.

Avatar Image says:

I’m a little shocked that there are people from Russia on here who don’t think Putin’s done anything significant in the past year. I see him as the closest thing to a modern day Hitler that we have – what a scary, scary man. I hope that Russia’s role in the future of global politics continues to be a positive one.

Anyways, hasn’t JK Rowling been named Time’s person of the year in the past, or is that just some dream that I had?

By the way, being TIME’s person of the year is not always a positive thing, as is the case for Putin. Nobody says it better than TIME magazine themselves:

“TIME’s Person of the Year is not and never has been an honor. It is not an endorsement. It is not a popularity contest. At its best, it is a clear-eyed recognition of the world as it is and of the most powerful individuals and forces shaping that world—for better or for worse.”

In this case, Putin fits the bill.

Avatar Image says:

“Umm Ron wanted to be an auror too, keep that in mind. “

He was 15 when he said he wanted to be an Auror. Times change, people grow up. Hermione expressed distaste at being a lawyer in DH yet she ended up being one. Why should Ron not be able to change his mind as well? I dn’t get why people want Ron to be Harry’s sidekick for the rest of his life.

“He never once has expressed any interest in helping out with the joke shop, so how is that doing what he wants for himself? And as it’s George’s shop wouldn’t he just be George’s “sidekick?”

In the first interview post-DH where JKR mentioned Ron joining George she pretty much said that Ron was responsible for the business booming at WWW. That doesn’t sound like a sidekick role to me.

Avatar Image says:

””I see him as the closest thing to a modern day Hitler that we have – what a scary, scary man.”””””

:O are you American?

Avatar Image says:

Ok, so what exactly has Putin done this year? Oh yeah pal around with Ahmadinejad, criticize America, whimp out regarding nuclear weapons of North Korea and Iran, refuse to help in the reconstruction in Iraq and reduce personal rights and freedoms in Russia. Oh yeah he has shown exceptional leadership and is a person to admire. HA

And oh the famous Al Gore. Traveling the world ranting and raving, touting the idea that America is a horrible country, that global warming is a fact, even though scientists all over the planet say no direct connection can be made between carbon usage and global warming (the data can be just as conclusive that another Ice Age is upon us). Yeah he is a real winner…

So what did our Jo do??? Just raise herself up from the mire of poverty and despair, get an entire WORLD to read again, promote tolerance and love through-out the planet and sell more books than anyone except God (sorry He still out sells her, but just barely since he has been around a few thousand years ;)

Jo you are first in my book and I am sure in everyone here… We love you :)

sarah