First Look: J.K. Rowling…A Year in the Life Documentary

Dec 20, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

This is shaping up to be quite the banner week for Harry Potter fans, because in addition to our PotterCast interview with Jo, we now have the first look at the upcoming J.K. Rowling…A Year in the Life documentary that will be broadcast later this month on ITV. (Another, showing an emotional Jo visiting her old flat, will be available Sunday.) In this exclusive clip sent to fan sites including TLC, we can see Jo, writing at desk in the Balmoral hotel on January 11 of this year amid piles of notebooks, coffee cups, and discarded gum wrappers, where she says “Yea I’ve think I’ve finished,” as she stops typing the final words in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” In an emotional moment, J.K. Rowling says that fans will either love it or hate it when the read the last installment in the Harry Potter series, but says she is “really really happy with it.” To watch this special moment, please click here to our video galleries JK Rowling…A Year in the Life documentary filmed by James Runcie will be broadcast on UK channel ITV December 30 at 7pm.

Thanks much to ITV!

47 Responses to First Look: J.K. Rowling…A Year in the Life Documentary

Avatar Image says:

This…clip…is…bloody…fantastic! Thank you, Leaky, for posting.

Avatar Image says:

I agree that this is a nice clip. Do we know if it is going to show anywhere in the US sometime in the next year? Maybe BBC America or local PBS stations?

I absolutely LOVE it!!! I wish I could see it, though… I don’t have ITV :(

Avatar Image says:

That was very emotional to watch! You can feel how emotional it was for her to actually say it was done. I’m sure we will be able to see this in come capacity soon. All is well indeed!

Yupi! Nice clip BlogHogwarts.com

Nice Clip…

Avatar Image says:

Will we be able to watch the documentary on the ITV website? Or will it be on U.S. TV? Has this info been posted somewhere and I just missed it? Need the info hehehe.

Avatar Image says:

That was great! I almost wanted to cry when Jo looked like she wanted to try from exaltation. And that is my favorite flavor of Orbit gum!

But I didn’t hate DH at all! It was my favorite book and I bet many hard core fans feel the same way. She cares so much about her fans. I already knew that but it was great to see that clip to confirm it.

Avatar Image says:

I feel like crying after watching the clip. Jo, if you ever get to read this (which is wishful thinking), please know that you met EVERY SINGLE EXPECTATION I had for the book. More than just met, in fact. So don’t ever doubt yourself, because you are absolutely brilliant. An ‘O’ if there ever was one. Thank you for everything. I love you!

And thanks to Sue for uploading this so promptly. As efficient as ever, I see :)

Avatar Image says:

Leaky is so awesome. I am amazed by it’s good standing every day that I visit. Not to mention eterallly thankful. :)

Avatar Image says:

Great Clip!!! I hope this will be avaiable in some form for those that can’t watch on ITV. Can’t wait to see the rest!

Avatar Image says:

A great clip, can’t wait for the documentary! In the first part we see Jo typing, can anyone work out what bit of Deathly Hallows it is, was trying to work it out, but the words were slightly blurred!

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if we can hope for a DVD release of this show at a later date? Or at least a broadcast here in the US sometime.

OMT

Avatar Image says:

Now we know why she messed up the last chapter !! She was being disturbed by those guys! I always thought something was wrong with her writing in the epilogue… ;-)

Avatar Image says:

She was working on the dialoque between the gray lady (Helena Ravenclaw) and Harry, about the tiara..

Avatar Image says:

I’m just gonna take this opportunity to thank Jo for letting us see this, after all were only visitors in her world and she went way beyond my expectations, I thank you Miss Rowling for your writing being such a huge part of my childhood and helped shape who I am today aged 20. Thank You. And thanks to Leaky for (lets face it) being the greatest Harry Potter fansite there is!

Avatar Image says:

You may be able to watch it live on ITV.com as they have live streams on each ITV channel as the show is being aired, and if you miss it you can catch up the day after. I hope you allmanage to get to see the show. I recently missed Daniel Radcliffe in My Boy Jack and I was able to catch up the day after.

Avatar Image says:

Hey Jo, you didn’t mess up and I’m really happy with the book (though I am a hardcore-fan with high expectations) Thanks!

that was so intense!!

Avatar Image says:

A great documentary clip. Imagine if we had similar film clips of great writers of the past, putting the last words on their novels. Excellent!

Avatar Image says:

@Pinefresh, Its not that hard to imagine at all. This was the most fitting way to end the series, while its not my favourtie book out of the series, it is stil the best way to finish the series.

Avatar Image says:

i can’t imagine someone loathing the book. feeling lukewarm about it, not liking it, yes. but loathing is a very strong word. but jo gets fan mail from all different kinds of people and if she thinks people will loathe something, i trust that she’s right.

Avatar Image says:

Considering that I have listened to the first part of the brilliant PotterCast Jo interview five times already I can see watching this over and over if it’s available on DVD.

Expectations? I had the highest expectations for Deathly Hallows. I didn’t have any preconcieved notions as to what would happen. I did believe that what Jo would write would be better than any of the fanfics. Thanks to Leaky, I was able to remain spoiler free before I read the book. It was a very heady experience to finally read it too. It was SO much better than anything I had imagined that it ultimately replaced Order of the Phoenix as my favorite book in the series.

Avatar Image says:

Bless her! Is it possible for me to love her any more than I already do? Apparently, yes: she is just a classic lady with my sense of humor (and cough we are so hard to come by, aren’t we Jo?)

Avatar Image says:

It’s such a powerful moment. I seriously almost cried when I watched it.

If you ever read this, Jo, you did wonderfully. It was perfect.

Avatar Image says:

She’s such a brilliant person. It’s difficult not to see her as a role model. I try not to, because I realise that it’s a very awkward position to be in, but she does appear to be brilliant in so many ways.

Avatar Image says:

Great clip,Hey leaky is it going to be broadcasted in the USA anytime soon. Boy i sure hope so….

Avatar Image says:

Amazing clip. I can’t wait for the whole documentary!

Avatar Image says:

Please drop me down on the “Love it” column, k, thx.

John B.

Avatar Image says:

Oh.my.god. Could she be any more beautiful and down to earth? I think not. Goodness gracious.

Avatar Image says:

Beautiful, just beautiful. Mr. Runcie really captured her emotion as best as any human being could. She is so honest and gracious. A very deep soul- “for people to love it some will have to loathe it.” The clacking on the keyboard, the coffee cup with lipstick stains (as mine usually have!), gum wrappers, glasses on and looking a bit exhausted..our divine bard looking so very human :)

Jo, if you ever read our comments (which I think you might), we absolutely love you and admire you. Thank you for everything you have given us, from the bottom of our hearts!

WOW! Just WOW!

She’s a fast typer. She’s right about the love/loath thing, but I personally think it was not rubbish at all!

I can’t wait to see the documentary.

Avatar Image says:

Jo is such a class act. That clip is a piece of literary history; the moment she finished the last book.

I really love the fact she acknowledges that people would either love it or loath it because I think they are the best adjectives to use. I did loath it, LOL, but it’s her book and if she loved it then that’s all that matters.

Congratulations Jo, now when is the Queen going to make you a Dame for services to literature?

Avatar Image says:

Thank you for the clip. I only wish I’d be able to see the film.

Avatar Image says:

I am constantly amazed how truly genuine and humble this woman is. I think there’s a tremendous lesson that we can all learn from how she’s handled her overwhelming success, wealth and fame these 17 years. Rowling might disagree with me, but I think she’s a shining example of the best of humanity.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks so much Leaky to let us see this preview :) And Jo, if you per chance find some time to look in on LEAKY, ( I am sure you have a lot to do before Christmas ;) ....!!! I am VERY HAPPY with your last book – and yes I count myself to the die-hard Fans..I thought it was fantastic – brilliant – very emotional – can’t tell you what I all loved above all, would take too long…but let me tell you…apart from being happy that Harry made it through, Dumbledore was correct in trusting Snape, (had my fingers crossed, that I was right;-) on the good side – I actually cried out YES when Harry said: You don’t learn from your mistake, Riddle, do you?” “You dare-” “Yes, I dare”, said Harry, I know things you don’t know, Tom Riddle. I know lots of important things that you don’t. Want to hear some, before you make another big mistake…! And we knew that Voldemort was a second from being FINALLY defeated…!.I am looking forward to watch ” J.K.Rowling…a Year in the life…December 30th. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Avatar Image says:

Jo—you are a class act all the way! I loved seeing this beautifully emotional moment. Not only is this a rare moment in a writer’s life, it’s an extremely rare moment in the HISTORY of literature!! The end of a beloved series documented on film. This die-hard fan spent an entire year defending the character of Severus Snape, and I can assure Ms. Rowling that she went waaaaay above and beyond my expectations with his vindication! Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!!

Avatar Image says:

I could echo all of your comments, but I’ll choose not to because you all put them so well. _^

And did anyone notice that her workspace in the video is almost the EXACT same as the layout of her website? xD

Anyway, I’ve transcribed as much as I possibly could. #’s indicate I couldn’t make out exactly what she was trying to write. Here’s what I read:

EXCERPT 1 “A hollow tree? said Harry. “What tree? Where were you?” “A forest in Albania,” she sighed. “A pretty place, and far beyond my “Yeah…sorry…but a forest is – you said you’ve told this story once before?” “Yes,” she said crossly, “and I might add that he was much politer than you, much more grateful, much prettier manners altogether#” “You told Tom Riddle, didn’t you?” Her eyelashes fluttered beneath his gaze and she tried to look ashamed of herself. “I – well, I’m afraid I did. Such

EXCERPT 2 , the mark # Beedle the Bard. Look at this!” She # The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore under Harry’s unwilling eyes and he saw a copy of the letter that Dumbledore had written Grindelwald reproduced in Dumbledore’s familiar thin, # writing. He hated seeing absolute proof that Dumbledore really had written th#se words, that they had not been Rita’s #. “The signature,” said, Hermione. “Look at the signature, Harry!” He obeyed. For a moment he had no idea what she was talking about, ########## The Tales of Beedle the Bard. ”# – what are you -?” said Ron #, but she quieted him with a look and # back to Harry.

Now obviously there are a lot of those that we can be fairly certain of, such as “familiar thin, /slanted/ writing” and “quieted him with a look and /turned/ back to Harry,” but as I said, it wasn’t perfectly clear in the video so I marked it as such.

In no way do I guarantee the accuracy of this text, lol. And JKR owns all of this, and us. ^_

Whoops! I skipped a line. Here’s a revised version of EXCERPT 2:

EXCERPT 2 , the mark # Beedle the Bard. Look at this!” She # The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore under Harry’s unwilling eyes and he saw a copy of the letter that Dumbledore had written Grindelwald reproduced in Dumbledore’s familiar thin, # writing. He hated seeing absolute proof that Dumbledore really had written th#se words, that they had not been Rita’s #. “The signature,” said, Hermione. “Look at the signature, Harry!” He obeyed. For a moment he had no idea what she was talking about, but looking # with the # of his lit wand, he saw that Dumbledore had replaced the ‘A’ of Albus ########## The Tales of Beedle the Bard. ”# – what are you -?” said Ron #, but she quieted him with a look and # back to Harry.

It’s interesting to compare these passages from this manuscript to the published book. The first excerpt is on page 617 of the American first edition hardcover of Deathly Hallows and the second is on page 394.

Have fun. :)

Avatar Image says:

I loved seeing this little clip and fervently hope that the documentary will be shown in the U.S. or that I may be able to purchase it somewhere. I wish I could tell her how much I loved Deathly Hallows. It was everything that I hoped it would be. My heart was filled with so much joy that when I finished it, I literally jumped up and danced around the room. Thank you Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Well, I am a HARD CORE fanatic, and I love the Deathly Hallows. There are many things that distinguish Ms. Rowling’s work from others. First, is the character DEVELOPMENT, the way the characters grow and change throughout the series (unlike, say, Aragorn). Second, is her incredibly brilliant and delightful sense of humor. Third, is her passionate dedication to justice, fairness and tolerance. Fourth, is the mystery element in the novels, where you just don’t know what will happen next… Fifth is the amazing detail from the violet interdepartmental memos in the Ministry of Magic to how Molly’s clock gets stuck on mortal peril (still wonder if Molly made it), etc. etc. etc. However, I think it’s us rank sentimentalists who loved DH..those who are interested in twisted and dark prose would of coarse loathe it…I’m a mush melon, always have been, and always will be. The hero defeats the villain, and lives happily ever after. All is well. Ms. Rowling, I truly respect and honor you for your amazing work, but also for your terrific contributions to charity. What an amazing person you are!

Susan McGee

Avatar Image says:

Thats odd. The last thing she seemed to have typed was halfway through chapter 31 The Battle of Hogwarts (I think…just listened to the audiobook of that part). The last thing seems to be when the Grey Lady told Harry that the Bloody Baron killed her in Albania. Odd place to finish!

Its awesome though, glad she did it.

Avatar Image says:

Sarah, that could have just been an edit on the part of the filmmakers to show what was on her screen, they might have not had a close up shot of what she was writing at the end.

Avatar Image says:

If only she had made one tiny edit to keep Fred alive, then I would have truly loved it too!

It’s so weird to be documented finishing and aware of all the eyes on her, but then also doubly aware that those eyes are going to have finished DH! It’s amazing JKR keeps as sane as she is.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I loved it. I think it was my favourite of the series, which I wasn’t quite expecting, just because I love the third so much and have loved it for so long…but I think the Deathly Hallows just might have knocked it out of top position. Yes, there were things that a lot of fans had predicted, but they were all done well, or had a little twist to them that made them fresh…and of couse, there were a lot of total surprises, too. And seeing all the familiar chacters again—I was a total laughing, weepy mess all throughout the last third of the book! It was a fantastic ending. If you ever read this, JKR, thank you for everything.

Avatar Image says:

why cant it be on BBC or something so we can see it!!! im so excited but it stinks i have to watch it on utube or something :(

Avatar Image says:

Looks pretty staged to me—and how could it not be? Come on. A film crew in the room while you write? Preposterous. Not possible. Looks like she made some quick edit to page, then said it was done for the camera. It was already done or would be worked on further after they left.

Write a Reply or Comment