PotterCast 131: Rowling Along

Dec 24, 2007

Posted by Melissa Anelli

Happy Holidays! We’re back with the second part of our JK Rowling interview on our Harry Potter podcast, PotterCast.

To listen, subscribe via iTunes (subscribers, hit “Update this Podcast” if you don’t see it right away), or grab it via direct download, or just hit the “Play” button on the right side of the page (->.

Show info:

An intro with just the trio – we talk about the week’s news as well as the Jo interview and our experience of it. This is the last part with Jo but future shows will have our little bloopers, and Jo does promise to come back. So keep twiddling those dials!

Jo returns and we talk about:

Draco
Dogs on her web site
The wallpaper
Rude words and rubbish
Carnegie Hall redux
What’s in the Love Room?
Love raising people to the heights of absolute heroism, and foolishness
Bellatrix
What exactly did Alan Rickman know and when?
Snape – was he truly meant to be in Slytherin?
The Potter Park – she’s “very very very involved.”
“Personally, I think it will be the best thing in the world of it’s type, having seen what I’ve seen.”
What happened to Florean Fortescue?
Wand lore
Hagrid did not create Thestrals
Wands as sentient beings
Albus Potter and the Book They Said Would Never Happen
How the documentary happened
JK Rowling and the Changing Haircuts
“My Name is Lily Potter. You thought I was dead. You were wrong.”
“My name is Hedwig…”
Fred? “Whatever,” says John

RT: 46:25
Edited by Superhero Stede Bonnett

With special thanks to Jo and Le Grand Fidd, for everything.
Leaky theme song by Brad Mehlenbacher of Draco and the Malfoys

Podcast Alley
Digg
Terminus 2008, the site of the next live PC

Direct download (21 MB).
Direct download low-bandwidth (6 MB).

Remember you don’t need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen.

More discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

104 Responses to PotterCast 131: Rowling Along

Avatar Image says:

Thanks again, to all at Leaky, can’t wait to hear this!

Avatar Image says:

The link for direct download is broken. I’m getting a 404.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks so much Melissa and the crew for these two amazing shows. Have a Harry Christmas and a Hagrid New Year. Just one thing the direct download for us with broadband isn’t working.

Avatar Image says:

I’m so excited! The preview is tantalizing. Lily’s alive? What? I’l have to listen!

Thank you Jo, Melissa, John and Sue, for a present truly unique ever since my aunt gave me empty box.

Avatar Image says:

Ahh it’s not just me. Yeah, it’s not working :(.

Thanks, Melissa, Sue, John, and the entire staff…. happy holiday season to all

Avatar Image says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! If this had come an hour later, I wouldn’t have been able to download it before Christmas! I’m sure you all had a wonderful time with her, and no one deserves it more than Melissa, John and Sue (Squee!) Merry Christmas Everyone! (or whatever holiday you wish to celebrate…)

YAY! Finally a Christmas gift. (:

I’m so glad you posted this tonight since I’m most likely not going to be able to downlaod/listen to it tomorrow.

Avatar Image says:

Same here. Direct download is not working. Tried ‘Save Target As’ and rec’d a msg. that the site could not be found or was unavailable. Thx.

Avatar Image says:

If you use the first direct download link, at the top of the post, it works.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve already listened, and hopefully next time no whatever Fred! I was so upset I thought you were going to talk about Fred when I saw that! Oh well it was still wonderful, guys.

Avatar Image says:

Oh thank you, thank you John, Melissa, Sue and the entire Leaky staff! Part 2 has arrived (squeee!) You’re the best- Happy Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all of you and your families!

Okay, now it’s working.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you again Jo, Melissa, John, and Sue! It’s wonderful as always.

I hope all of you have a wonderful Christmas!

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful end to a wonderful interview.

Thank you so much you three for all that you do all year. It is an amazing thing that y’all have going on, and I consider myself blessed that you are willing to keep me in your “inner circle”

Happy Christmas to one and to all.

Avatar Image says:

thank u guys sooo much… no one deserves this more than u. merry christmas to everyone!!

-HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

I freakin’ love you guys! : )

By the way, the Leaky theme song done by Brad is absolutely fantastic!!!

Avatar Image says:

YAY!!!!! Off to download!

Avatar Image says:

Jo is such a special and wonderful woman. I admire her so much and I can’t even begin to put into words how I much I appreciate all that she does for us fans. Thank you so much Jo!

Avatar Image says:

wow, that was amazing. How can someone be so brilliant and so humble? Incredible

Avatar Image says:

YAY!!!!! I’m downloading now. Thanks TLC and Pottercast!!

Avatar Image says:

This has been the best Christmas present! Thanks so much for doing this for us, to both Jo and the Pottercast crew! You guys are wonderful, there really are no words to describe how much. Jo, you’re my hero!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Avatar Image says:

uggggh, well, I thought most of the questions were stupid.and the first 20 minutes weren’t even part of the interview.

Avatar Image says:

yay! i just downloaded it.

Thanks Melissa

Avatar Image says:

exciting! must put this on my ipod immediately…can’t wait to hear it :}

Avatar Image says:

YAY! Now I can’t wait to go to work on a Monday morning, Christmas Eve nonetheless, so I can listen to PotterCast! Thanks again for a great end to the greatest Potter year yet!

Avatar Image says:

Great interview – can’t wait for Jo to come back again.

It’s a shame that you never got back to the shipping – for a long time I’ve wanted to hear Jo’s post DH views on all the shipping silliness online now that she is finally able to be honest about everything, but maybe that would be a bit too controversial for some.

Avatar Image says:

YAY! I just downloaded and can’t wait to listen. What a year! Last year at this time we were all trying to get our minds around the release of the title of the seventh book.

Now we are getting the holiday treat of the trio interviewing Jo about EVERYTHING! I’m so glad to hear that Jo had agreed to return to PotterCast in the future! Wow!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS to everyone at Leaky and PotterCast!

Avatar Image says:

oh my gawd!! she said she’d come back!! yayayayay. Im pretty sure thats going to be many many many months from now if ever, but its still nice to know that she would like to! I love her opinion of fan fics!!! “You thought wrong!” LOVE ITT!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

pffft, who cares about another interview with Jo? I mean, Mugglecast has Jamie back. Now that’s BIG!!!!

Looking forward to listening to it guys. The first one was amazing and I’m sure this one will be just as great. BTW, I’ve marked the 1st one in iTunes so it won’t get deleted…ever.

a.ma.zing!!!

haha remember that time Voldemort was like “I know! I’ll get a wand’s loyalty by commanding a snake to kill its ‘owner’ for me! That’ll work just perfect!!”

gets me every time. except not because of the sadness that followed, but still. lol.

Avatar Image says:

omg this is amazing! the bellatrix fangirl in me kind of freaked the hell out over her confirming bella/voldy… AHHH :D

Avatar Image says:

Love love love for Leaky + Jo!! Merry Christmas everyone (its Christmas Eve 6pm here), and thank you times a billion for being simply fabulous. Can’t wait to listen!

Avatar Image says:

You know you’ve done good when the object of your affection takes notice of you almost exclusively!! We all appreciate you doing what you do as well and as dedicated as you do it.

Happy Christmas :)

It’s not on iTunes :(

Avatar Image says:

I like the arrested development music!

Avatar Image says:

“The next password will be horcri” haha! Jo is such an inspiring, generous, and all around amazing person. You guys must feel very honored to have talked so openly to her, and I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more!

Avatar Image says:

I haven’t been able to hear it yet, but may I say that I am looking forward to “What exactly did Alan Rickman know and when?”

;)

Avatar Image says:

Great podcast! Now we finally know who Draco’s wife is!

Avatar Image says:

Ack! So close to discussion on Fred and yet so far away! Oh well, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your next interview when I hope you’ll spend time talking about Fred, George and Lupin.

Thank you Jo, Melissa, John and Sue for allowing the magic to continue a bit longer.

Avatar Image says:

The next password was BEYOND awesome. One again, congrats on doing this interview and thank you so much for sharing it. You guys rock!

PS. I would have soiled myself if the next password was Dawlish . . but this was plenty good.

Avatar Image says:

Ohhhh, so the Slytherins DID come back! Only, they had to make sure they would win first. Nice!

I forgot about Slughorn shame

Lol @ Draco marrying some random undergrad and Pansy probably having a terrible life. lol I think the moral of this story is that violence against bullies is wrong, just write them into characters and make millions and then cackle about your greatness later, vindicated, haha :D

I loved how only Alan Rickman knew about Snape’s past. No one suspected him! It’s awesome how he kept that to himself for all these years. What a huge secret to keep, too.

Thank you for asking about Florean Fortescue!

But honestly, I’m tired of wand lore. I no longer care about why the wands do what they do. Inspect them on your own time! lol The room of love question. Awesome. I always suspected it to be more…mysterious, haha, then that. But still. Awesome.

You should have asked if this quote was an intentional clue: “Right, we’re leaving that room,” said Hermione decisively. “But what if that’s the one?” said Ron, staring at it with a mixture of apprehension and longing. —Ron and Hermione, talking about the Door of Love, pg 776 (OoP).

That way you could have chatted about Ron and Hermione!

But your right, she said she’s coming back, thank God. So we can all talk about Colin Creevy and Fred, the fate of George and Ron and Hermione lurrrve.

“Albus Potter and the Book They Said Would Never Happen”

Hahaha, oh please God no. I’m thinking more like a book of short stories. It will feature titles such as: “Rose Weasley and the Ridiculously Romantic Scorpius Malfoy”, “James Potter and the Resilient Spot”, plus the heartwarming “Ron Weasley and his Mad New Family”

Also, actual children’s books.

“See Buckbeak fly. Buckbeat flys high. Buckbeat has wings. Buckbeaks eats things.”

Avatar Image says:

They never talked about romance at all. :(

Avatar Image says:

It’s lovely listening to Jo, but the guys never touched on the promised romance. :(

Avatar Image says:

Good job on scoring Jo for that potterwatch closer! Its just awesome hearing Jo revel in such things.

Avatar Image says:

This is so perfect for when i can’t sleep tonight!!! Thanks guys!

Avatar Image says:

It was Bloody Brilliant!!! I enjoyed it very much, both your and JK’s comments were super! And I could think of very few people who deserved more for this to happen to… Merry Xmas!

Yayyyy ♥ Too short, but then again I’d always think it’s too short =P

Thank you Melissa, John & Sue for doing this, and Jo of course, you make my day every day =D

Avatar Image says:

Leaky, you’re spoiling us!

Right, running away to download! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Jo, I can´t believe Ron and Hermione have a long distance relashionship, this is sad, with her in Hogwarts and him being an Auror, when do they get to see each other?? Not very often…:(

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful episode yet again and more magical of course with the sorceress herself. The theme park, Rickman keeping a big secret, and so much more was wonderful to listen to and John is right, Jo should be a fourth co host from now on ;) What a great xmas gift for us!

Avatar Image says:

wonderful episode! thoroughly enjoyed it, and it’s great to have melissa back as well.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Leaky and Jo! :D Awesome interview.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you muchly guys, and have a very beautiful Christmas all of you! And the posters tooooooo! :))

Avatar Image says:

Thanks all of you at Leaky for everything! Hope you all have wonderful holidays! :D

Avatar Image says:

I could listen to Jo for hours! I absolutely loved her discussion about Alan Rickman.

Avatar Image says:

Poor Florean…... Great job, Jo! Can’t wait for your next invitation to Pottercast! I WANT THE SCOTTISH BOOK FOR CHRISTMAS!

Wonderful! :)

Avatar Image says:

agh, what’s going on with the comments?

Avatar Image says:

Just to say that this was such an excellent Christmas treat! The best interviews are the ones with fans, because they don’t ask stupid questions like ‘so, why did you suddenly decide Dumbledore was gay?’ Of course, the real fans know that there’s no such thing as making arbitrary decisions about the world, because it’s all REAL, and Jo’s just tellin’ it how it is! In the absence of The Scottish Book, it’s stuff like this that keeps us fans going! So thank you!

Avatar Image says:

So….Bella/Voldy is canon now? Because Jo said that Bella loved Voldy ‘sexually.’ Yay! Bella/Voldy!

Avatar Image says:

Well if we are all putting in our question requests for the next (!) time that Jo visits PotterCast:

I’d like to know why the protections guarding Grimmauld Place didn’t break when both Harry and Hermione said “Voldemort” several times.

After the escape from the Ministry, did Kreacher evade the Death Eaters by apperating back to Hogwarts?

If you get the chance to tell her: I was continually getting hungry while listening to the audio books. Her descriptions of food at Hogwarts and the Burrow were always amazing.

...and my very favorite quote of the series is from HBP: “There was a sound like a plunger being pulled from a blocked sink and Ron surfaced” LOL!!!

Avatar Image says:

Thanks to the Leaky crew for the early christmas present. I would like to know one thing from the pottercast. JO never told us if Draco Malfoy graduated from Hogwarts or not. Did you ever find out ? Oh well Merry Christmas to the whole HP crowd :)

Avatar Image says:

Can someone tell me if there’s a way to hear the podcasts on my sidekick? I can’t get to a regular PC right now and I’m freaking out I can’t hear it!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Roonwit, many thanks for the summary at accio quote…that’ll hold me until the transcript arrives!

Avatar Image says:

“I have a lot of the next generation worked out…”

This makes me ridiculously happy.

Avatar Image says:

ahhh such a good showwwww im definitely relistening to it tonight…...cuz well im not going to be able to sleep tonight because its christmas eve :D

BELLA/VOLDY AHHH :DDD

Avatar Image says:

I’ve read that some are disappointed by what wasn’t talked about. Makes me sad that there are people who never seem to be satisfied. There are things I’d love to have heard about, too, but I’d not trade any of those for the natural, conversational appearance we got from Jo. To touch on everything would have meant a very scripted interview, and this was more like just a chat that went wherever it went. It was simply fantastic.

Avatar Image says:

Aha! Peevsie always knew that Miss Black/Lestrange had a thing for Lord Mouldypants! HAHAHA!

Bella loves Voldy! Bella loves Voldy! The B-ch loves the Dark Lord! The B-ch loves the Dark Lord!

Avatar Image says:

Awww … made my C’mas has this!

Also, just like to take the opportunity to wish a very ‘Harry Christmas’ to Melissa, John, Sue and all involved on the site!

Avatar Image says:

so there it was he new canonfact about Astoria Greengrass came from. I read something about it at LJ but could not trace the source. wondering if JKR had the same figure in mind as the creator of Cerberus the Aardvark, who based his figure Astoria on the actress Mary Astor ( malthese falcon), this black&white movie actress has the perfect face for being a PureBloodBride.

It’s nice to hear that JKR loathed Pansy as much as I did, and that she did not dislike Draco so much to have him sadled up with the bitch of bitches. Again Pansy was drawn from personal experience, she is the condensate of every girl that teased Jo at school. Just wondering why Draco, who is sort the male condensate of every boy who was dislikable at Jo’s school, got so much more backbone and flesh then Pansy. Would that been have the reverse if Jo had been a male writer instead of a female writer?

Also understood that JKR has done some work on the next generation, which we are likely to see in ” the Scottish Book”. Don’t know how happy I should be with that. On the one hand I am always eager for new canonfacts, on the other hand I don’t like to see too much about the characters solidified in canon, making my own and other thoughts about it AU.

Avatar Image says:

thanks leaky! what a great christmas present!

Avatar Image says:

Happy holidays, Leaky! Thanks again for the amazingness of the Jo-laden Pottercasts. :)

Avatar Image says:

i’m only part way through but she just said Slytherins came back and i yelled out loud, and came here and now i’m just all _ does a happy dance Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock Slytherins rock!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Hey, is there going to be a christmas filks show? Cause i think that it is a little bit late, lol, oh and BTW the pottercast site is down, gave me some weird server error…

Avatar Image says:

Thank you, Mellisa, and thanks Jo too! I loved the new data, thank you and all TLC for giving us such interviews.

¡Saludos desde Argentina! (in english is kinda «Cheers from Argentina!» xD)

Avatar Image says:

You said you were going to talk about the romance in the books and you never actually got around to doing that. I would have liked Jo to comment on the main relationships in the books, especially Harry/Ginny because there wasn’t much of it in canon. I would have liked to know why she decided to keep the hero’s love story mostly off page. Also why Ginny’s character was kept so much in the background when she was supposed to be so important? This has got a lot of fans rather confused.

Avatar Image says:

Who would want to know about the lives of the next generation? What happened to using your own imagination? Too much information outside the books can end up ruining them

Avatar Image says:

So Bella was madly in love with Voldemort and sexually attracted to him? I love the idea of this two together. If they had souls, they would be soulmates.

Avatar Image says:

Agreed, Serena. Agreed. And if you want the best a fic can get, check out community.livejournal.com/as_pof_fic! Harry Christmas and a Slappy New Year!

Avatar Image says:

Okay, I love what you guys asked, but COME ON. What about the great mystery of how Ron and Hermione named their children?! NEXT TIME, please please please ask. On a side note, I love Jo’s comment about fanfiction, considering I’m a big fan. It made me laugh especially because my friend is a big fan of those. I can’t wait to tell her.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, what was the “two Gryffindor girls” question about?

Avatar Image says:

(Is frantic) Where does it say the slytherins came back???

In my UK copy it says Slughorn came back with Charlie and “the friends and family of every hogwarts student that had remained to fight” or something

sobs

someone save me from my misery. Where does it say some of them came back??

Avatar Image says:

Thank You Leaky, for the wonderful interview!!!!!!! That was one wonderful piece of info about the love room….... And I’m very proud that some slytherins came back for the battle…......

Avatar Image says:

Merry Xmas fellow Potter fans!

Avatar Image says:

I thank Jo ,so very much for doing this. It was a wonderful surprise! Thanks also for writing such great books that have brought so many people together and made friends of a lot.

I also hope Jo ,and her family have a most wonderful Merry Christmas and the very Happiest of New Years

I am looking forward with great antisipation to whatever work Jo may have in store for us “next ”. Thank you

A Very Merry Christmas to Malissa ,Sue ,John and all the people who work so hard to make this site come together everyday. It is very appreciated. :o) Thank you

Happy Christmas to all!

Thanks for a great year Leaky!

May the New Year bring love, happiness, hope, and abundance to all who enter here!

Avatar Image says:

Okay, having read all the comments so far, there is only one solution: the next Pottercasts with JKR (it sounded very much to me that she is more than willing to come back :D ) all have to stand under a certain motto, dealing with a specific issue. And the next one better be about the romances and H/G and R/Hr and their kids. LoL

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Leaky for the wonderful interview, and thank you Jo! What a fantastic way to end the year!

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t get the “two Gryffindor girls” part, can anyone explain a bit about that? And overall, I cannot help but listen to this over and over. JK Rowling, you are wonderful! Good Job to you John, Sue and Melissa!

Avatar Image says:

Jove – I’m not an expert on this lol, but if I remember correctly, it’s mentioned in POA that there are two other Gryffindor girls in Hermione’s year, other than Parvati and Lavender. But their names are never given and they’re never mentioned again. So people have asksed Jo a few times who those girls are, and she keeps dodging the question lol :)

The Potteracast site seems to be down since yesterday i.e. 25th Dec ‘07

I cant seem to access

OR

www.pottercast.com

Hope you can solve the problem ASAP !

Avatar Image says:

JKR is a real Cinderella..from a small flat to a mansion, it’s kind of rugs to riches story and yet even in her current status, I can still sense the wit and humility in her voice and in her totally. JKR is such an amazing woman with lots of courage and strenght. Her story is an absolute to be known. Can they produce a DVD or other ways for this documentary to be seen by everyone in the world (Harry Potter is known worldwide),we are all dying of envy to UK viewers who will have an exclusive opportunityto watch this documentary, pleeeaasssee. The most WONDERFUL gift, I and all the fans would have. HAPPY CHRISTMAS and a PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR to all!

Christmas cheer!

Avatar Image says:

Freakin amazing you guys. So great.

I’m so glad you mentioned that it was a challenge to be dispassionate interviewers of JKR, because that’s exactly what I’ve been thinking, is how hard it would be to interview her because I would just be sitting there in a daze and coming up with lame questions like, “Why are you so awesome?”

Even after I read Nimbus XL’s original post wherein he theorized that JKR might come on the show, I thought to myself, “What would I ask if I knew JKR would answer?” and even then, when it was only hypothetical (or so I thought), all I could think of were drooling fan questions (see lame question above). So, thanks for doing so well in the interviewing.

Avatar Image says:

wonderful interview! i always thought draco married pansy but whoa… jk rowling is wonderful. beautiful person! cant wait for the scottish book! if u read this, pls in ur next interview, can u ask her what’s in that archway(or the veil…in the department of mysteries)

thanks xx

merry christmas and god rest ye merry hypogriffs!

Avatar Image says:

Is there going to be a transcript of this so those of us who don’t wish to use our bandwith and or downloads can read it rather that listen. some of us are on shared computers and can’t download it. :(

Avatar Image says:

I have a subscription through iTunes, & this new episode (episode 131) doesn’t seem to be available through iTunes yet. The last one I got (I update daily) was episode 130. The direct downloads don’t seem to work either.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, why in both of these interview is over half of both you guys yapping and less than half of it Jo? Are you really that self-important? I’d rather not here self-important obsessed fans yapping over the author of the books.

Avatar Image says:

Oh yes, how dare they actually speak on their own podcast. I guess next time Melissa, John, and Sue have a chance for interviewing J.K. Rowling, they should do it without speaking. Jeez, what were they thinking? insert eye-roll here Some people and their posts…. Anyway, I loved the interview. Fantastic job by everyone involved! Can’t wait for the bloopers!

Avatar Image says:

When I try to play the interview or download it, it keeps stopping about 2 minutes in. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks!!!

Avatar Image says:

Can somebody fix the link? :(

Write a Reply or Comment