Rumor Alert: New Movie for Dan Radcliffe?

273

Dec 27, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

There is a mention today of a possible new film role for actor Dan Radcliffe. In a piece highlighting the work of the late photojournalist Dan Eldon the New York Times says that “next year Daniel Radcliffe, the “Harry Potter” star, is to portray Mr. Eldon in a movie about his life.” As readers know, Dan is currently filming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince due in theaters next November, and has confirmed his return to the stage where he will be starring in the production of “Equus” in the fall of 2008 as well. We do not have any further information on this possible new role for the Harry Potter actor at this point and will update with more on this when can.

Dan Eldon was a young photographer who was brutally murdered in Somalia in 1993, when he and three other colleagues were stoned to death after an angry mobbed turned on the journalists in the aftermath of a bombing in Mogadishu. You can read more about Dan Eldon and see some of his remarkable photographs via this link, as well as learn more about journalists who are killed each year while bringing the news, here.

Thanks to all who emailed.

48 Responses to Rumor Alert: New Movie for Dan Radcliffe?

FIRST!!! :)

sounds kl if its true but its probs just a rumour cause thats a lot for him to do next year!! he’s got equus and harry potter already but he’d be brill at bein dan eldon anyways!!

Avatar Image says:

I think that this movie role would be great for Dan! After just 5 minutes of browsing around daneldon.org, I already respest Eldon alot. It seems like his story is a worthly one to tell. We’ll see how this turns out.

Avatar Image says:

Good Job Dan. i amhappy for you, just make sure you stay faighful to Harry.

Avatar Image says:

I hope this is confirmed soon… I mean it sounds excellent – I’d love to see Dan in something like this – but let’s not get our hopes up. Right now it’s JUST a rumour.

Dan Eldon sounds like an amazing person! Why haven’t I heard of him before o__O

Avatar Image says:

If it’s true, sounds like Radcliffe has a liking for death scenes. Well, at least his movie choices are not the “Dude, where’s my car?” variety. I wonder if we’ll ever see him in a flat out comedy. I know he’s done a few fun bits on TV but it’d be good to see him in a full blown (good) comedy.

Dan Eldon sounds like an amazing person! Why haven’t I heard of him before o__O

Avatar Image says:

Sounds great. It will be another string added to his bow. This photographer he’s going to portray seems interesting.

Avatar Image says:

God, I do hope this is true, it sounds like a real grown-up role and sooo interesting, but I get the feeling he’s going to be too busy to do it to be honest.

Fingers, arms, legs, you name it, crossed, he needs to get as far away from Harry as possible IMO.

Avatar Image says:

If this is true, this would be an amazing role for Dan to take. I looked at the journalist web site and what an amazing young man he must have been. No idea how he would do this with Equus, Harry Potter 6 and then whenever the 7th film will start. Anyway, I hope this is true.

Avatar Image says:

Well, good for him! Going out there and choosing different kinds of roles. I know its a rumor, but still, good news.

Avatar Image says:

I SO hope this is true and Dan can fit this into his schedule. Sounds like an ‘incredible’ part ,as Dan Elton sounds to be himself. He should have some time between the finish of HBP [ April/May] and the rehursals of Equus on August.[10th ] This would be wonderful for his career . He has late May or June and July he could use. [Or right after Equus ???? .do not know when the start filming DH ]

Daniel is NOT going to let anything interfere with Harry, no worries there at all.

Avatar Image says:

Did you guys see that Dan is going to be on Regis and Kelly friday??

Avatar Image says:

Sounds great if true. This photographer was 23 when he died? Is Dan old enough?

Avatar Image says:

Good job Dan! When I did some research on Eldon I found that he would fit the part perfectly.

lol I love it when he tries to ~act~

Avatar Image says:

Unfortunately , there are few truely good comedies written most are extremely lacking in the script and apparently most directors haven’t really got a clue how to direct one.

I think when a good script for a comedy is someday

[few decent scripts are written of any kind much less a comedy, which is one reason why so many actors get involved in there own companies ]

offered to him he will jump at it,hope so.

A dark comedy would be wonderful to see him in.

Until then , this film and ones he is being drawn to like this,are a very good start for him.

Avatar Image says:

Ooh…yay! Dan should be in it when he is in between HBP and DH.

Avatar Image says:

Oh geeze I hope this is true. Sounds like an incredible role for him to take.

Avatar Image says:

good for daniel!!! i just hope he looks old enough to play the part of Dan eldon.

Avatar Image says:

that’ll be awesome… I’m really surprised by what he chose, but It sounds simply awesome. ts’ about time that africa’s come into the view of audiences too (you know, with darfur and south africa, etc. crisises going on) =]

Avatar Image says:

I hope this is true!! He really knows how to pick great roles for his career, so I really hope he does this. I’m just afraid he won’t have enough time what with Equus and HP. I hope we get a confirmation soon. I hate it when rumors get my hopes up!

Avatar Image says:

I think he could fit this into his schedule, and if it comes from the New York Times I would hope it has a pretty good chance of being true. And while I’m sad to say I’d never heard of Dan Eldon before today but he sounds like an incredible young man who was lost way too soon.

Avatar Image says:

i hope this true.story perceft.and dan was wonderfull job in my boy jack.

Avatar Image says:

As a photojournalist myself, I really hope Eldon’s story is told. The media gets such a bad rap these days (and rightfully so in most instances) that it would be lovely to see a journalist as a hero for once. I have so much respect for the men and women who put their lives in danger to tell the stories that NEED to be told. Maybe a film like his will remind some writers and photographers why they got into this industry in the first place.

Now that I’m off my soapbox, I really hope this is true. It would be a fantastic role for Dan if he can pull it off.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope this is true. I am an admirer of Dan’s work (HP and otherwise) and I respect the roles he chooses. It’s clear that he enjoys challenging roles and wants to test his abilities. Yeah Dan!

Avatar Image says:

Dan Eldon looks very young for a 22 year old and Dan is an actor,they portray all ages.He will not have any problem fitting his age look ,even between a span of years for a film that might cover a few years in the life of an individual. I hope this rumour is true ,and he will have this role. Yeah, it would be incredible.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, Dan is really getting independent… I know it sounds sappy and strange, but I’m really very proud of him! I was just watching Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone, and who would have guessed that little boy would be doing movies like these and acting in plays like Equus? It’s really wonderful to see he’s being accepted into the film community as more than The-Boy-Who-Lived.

I’m not sure if I believe this or think it’s a rumor—for now I’ll consider it possible, but not entirely likely. I really hope he is playing Dan Eldon, though! That would be amazing, as just reading about Eldon as been a real eye-opener for me.

Avatar Image says:

Yay…That would be sooooo cool…Dan as Dan! :)

Avatar Image says:

I watched “My Boy Jack” on Christmas Day and thought Dan was very good in it. This seems like another tragic story but one that should help him become an even better actor. He’s lucky in that he is famous enough and rich enough to be able to pick and choose the films he wants to do and not have to do any work just for the sake of employment.

Avatar Image says:

Oooh! This has the potential of being very powerful. Dan Eldon sounds really fascinating from the website. If he does do it, the movie will be amazing. Dan’s good with really dramatic parts. I just hope this movie will be played in the U.S, and not just in one of two theaters. I’m still waiting for My Boy Jack, and December Boys only played in one theater in my state. I wish Rupert Grint would take up another roll as well. It’s always so interesting when the trio does movies outside of Harry Potter.

Avatar Image says:

Arielle: Emma hasn’t done anything outside of HP that’s been in theaters. Rupert was in Driving Lessons (and was the first of the trio to lose his on-screen virginity.) Dan was in December Boys (also lost it) and My Boy Jack. Emma, however, only has been in Ballet Shoes, which is a TV movie. So Emma better start doing the Despereaux movie she’s planning on being in. (I hated that book, though.) Good luck Dan!

Avatar Image says:

Like many of you, I don’t know how I didn’t heard about this young photographer before! I visited the site Sue pointed out and the photos he took at such young age are amazing!

I know it’s a rumor, but just the fact Dan is being considered for the role is already an honor. I wached My Boy Jack and Daniel was fantasic, I’m looking foward to watch him in Broadway next year too, because my sister saw Equus this year in London and she said Dan was brilliant.

I can’t help but think some people are a little hypocritical because they say they are old for HP, and then Dan took older characters and you say you hope he is not too young… that doesn’t make sense, it’s contradictory. He looked older in My Boy Jack, so I don’t see any problem, plus this photographer looked very young I think Dan would be perfect for the role, so I hope he finds the time next year to film it.

It’s the New York Times so…

Avatar Image says:

The New York Times is not like some crappy tabloid… I highly doubt the Times would publish something with little validity.

Avatar Image says:

I hope this is true… it will encourage Dan to stretch his acting muscles much more than December Boys, which was a fairly pedestrian tale.

Avatar Image says:

This does sound like a fantastic opportunity for Dan. I’d think after HBP wrapped, he would have plenty of time to fit this in before Equus rehearsals in August. Again, this just confirms for me how brilliant and driven he is to be an actor that’s in it for the long haul.

Avatar Image says:

I agree Stageraven, Dan is a hard worker and very comminted to his profesion. It’s almost impossible to find young actors like this nowadays.

I’ve watched several videos about Dan Eldon’s life on Youtube: “The Art of Life: Dan Eldon in Africa”. What a fatastic young man! It was him the first person who took pictures showing the huge hunger problem in Somalia, thanks to this pictures the world started to send food and soldiers to the place to help them.

Our Dan is perfect for he role, he has the acting talent and he shares many things with Eldon, his love for art, his passion for everything they do in live, his sense of humor, even some features are very similar.

But we don’t know when HBP ffilming finish, so I’m sure he will have the time between it and Equus/Broadway.

Avatar Image says:

I also was unaware of the story of Dan Eldon before this and now I can’t get it off my mind. It’s so tragic. I hope Dan (our Dan) is really doing this. It would be a great experience for him I think. After I saw him portray Jack Kipling, I know he would do a lot of justice to Dan Eldon’s memory as well. He’s the perfect actor for this type of role.

Avatar Image says:

I hope Dan agrees to do this role. It would be good to see him do other roles, besides Harry. I mean, I know he’s done December Boys (Which I hope comes to the US VERY soon!! :D), but still. If this is true, my (DISTANT) cousin would probably flip out if she hears about this.. I told her about December Boys & she went nuts!

Avatar Image says:

Claire H., I agree, that’s what I meant wih my ”...” lol sorry I didn’t expressed it right. I think it’s a reliable source. And it seems to me the NYT writer talked with Dan Eldon’s family so if they told him this, there has to be some true in it!

If it’s true, I think our Melissa could be very proud because she is a journalist, and this movie will make a lot of people in the world realize many journalists risk and lost their lives everyday so the world can know what is happening in countries like Somalia. This is just a rumor and look how many people who didn’t know about Mr Eldon now know about all he did, so if they do a movie and with Dan in it even more people will know…

Sorry, no more ”...” lol

Avatar Image says:

Well. He seams to be distancing himself as much as he can from Harry Potter. Which is good on some sense. He doesn’t want to be typecast. In other words he doesn’t want to be seen as “Harry Potter” for the rest of his life. Kudos to him for making that effort.

Avatar Image says:

Dan Eldon seems to have been an amazing person. I did some research to find out more about him than it said in his website and saw some of his photographs. This world truly needs more people like him. It’s unfair that his life was taken so early. As many of you have said, his story really deserves to be told. And I think our Daniel would be a perfect choice for that. Daniel does have a good taste with roles so I’m hopeful. That would mean another extremely busy year for him but I hope he will manage.

I heard a rumor that Orlando Bloom has also been offered the part of Dan. I read it from some other magazine.. Personally I hope that it’s (our) Dan who says yes and gets the part.

Avatar Image says:

Oh my god! This IS true! This is confirmed by Dan Eldon’s mum in The Guardian! I can’t express how happy and excited I am right now!!! Just read:

YESSSSSSSSS!!!

Avatar Image says:

Melissa, you should have posted this, being a journalist!!! But I guess your book is a little distracting….I hope this movie goes well….with or without Dan!

Avatar Image says:

The Guardian says it is a deal. He will do the movie.

Avatar Image says:

Off topic but interesting. What Dan chose to eat the last time he was in Australia and had dinner with his parent in Sydney: He started with oysters (number of them not revealed), and then went on to a dish of duck, and finished with ice cream with chocolate sauce. So now his fans can mimic his meal and feel more “Danish” as a result. LOL.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Sophie!!! I’m so happy for Dan (Radcliffe) and Dan Eldon’s mother! She seems so happy that she finally found the right person to bring to live his son’s life in the big screen. Her words are really touching! I have to say Dan is the young actor who better choose his proyects (as far as WB stays far from there) he was extremely good in DB and perfectly played the role of John Kippling in MBJ. I’ve not seen Equus yet, but I’ll see it at the ned of next year when it comes to Broadway.

Avatar Image says:

Daniel Radcliff is going to star in a new movie called Equus and if you are really intrested in Daniel Radcliff then go to my site called

danielradclifflovers.wetpaint.com

so check it out and join we are here to give you the latest scoops on Radcliff

a news letter from the creator of…...........danielradclifflovers.wetpaint.com….......Haley and join now

Avatar Image says:

Allloooww daniel,,,!!!!!!!!!! I’ve heard u’ll play movie again after finish “Harry Potter” movie. wow!!!!!!! terrific!!!!!!!! i hope ur new movie will be success like “Harry Potter”.. I always be faithful for watching all of ur film.. because I’m potter holic… ;-P

Write a Reply or Comment