JKR Speaks of Multiple Sclerosis in “Your Total Health” Feature

110

Dec 03, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

The nationally syndicated Saturday morning program “Your Total Health” featured a segment on this past weekend’s show discussing the subject of Multiple Sclerosis, which included comments from author J. K. Rowling. Multiple Sclerosis is a disease Jo has spoken very movingly of in the past, relating its effect on her mother, and how her untimely death from it impacted her early writing of the Harry Potter series. This video features clips of Jo speaking on that subject, her efforts to raise awareness of MS, and of her seventeen year journey with Harry Potter.

TLC Reader Beth was able to capture this moving segment with Jo, which features some clips from the Meredith Viera “Today Show” interview broadcast last July, and upload the video online. You can view this segment here via YouTube.

Many thanks Beth!

14 Responses to JKR Speaks of Multiple Sclerosis in “Your Total Health” Feature

Avatar Image says:

My mum used to work in a MS ward so i knew quite a bit of the disease before hearing about JKR’s mum a few years, it is such a tragic dilapatating disease, and its always really moving to hear her talk of it, weird to think just how different the books would have been without that tragic occurance

Avatar Image says:

Very nice story. It’s a very positive thing, how Harry Potter has not only been good to Jo and her family, but also for MS awareness.

Avatar Image says:

Wow. How moving is that? I didn’t realize that her mother wasn’t with her, anymore. I know, in part, the feeling of losing a parent, at an early age. How wonderful that she has been able to support the foundation that will help others.JKR is a very special person…..

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful! simply wonderful!(As a member of the MS society I do know at “first hand”the devastating effects MS puts upon you, the lost of ability,the loss of family at very young ages, the lack of “help” availible,So called “Proffessionals” who cannot understand what is happening to you therefore, unable to offer suitable support.) As a sufferer and past active member of our local group every day I hear of yet another “victim” who you understand is going to suffer in some form or another. I would like to Praise Jo for her thoughts towards others.(she decided to do these things herself, NOT because some fans were “stamping and screaming” that they WANT WANT WANT! Jo has seen just one area of need and is doing something about it! GOOD FOR YOU JO ! and thanks for all the unseen work that you do ! I bet this comment box doesnt get many “hits”. I will leave the thoughts upto the readers ! thanks Flittwick.

Avatar Image says:

Another reason to love her ♥ It must be hard for her to talk about her Mum, but she does it to highlight the illness.

Well, I’m taking her advice about doing what you want to as soon as possible, I’m going to try and get my letter to her finished this week.

hi ms.rowling,

i’m your best fan of your reader if i suppose to say that. so i read all the harry potter book series and i have been enjoy w/myself. i really loved harry potter books these are my most favorite subject is reading. because i love to spent some time to read harry potter books and i really like harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban. i read about harry and sirius first met at the almost end chapter. i liked it when harry and sirius has been met since when he have a other member of his family he has.

Avatar Image says:

What an AMAZING human being Jo Rowling is!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

JKR-thank you for putting your personal story out there and shedding light on MS. I am 26 and could not imagine losing my mother to any disease, let alone MS, the thought of it is truly terrifying. As a champion for children’s literacy and MS, I feel connected to you- in grade school I always participated in the read-a-thons and walk-a-thons for MS. You are an incredible human being and an inspiration to me as a writer. As you said, you don’t know how much time there is so get to it, I am beginning to think I should >runs to her poems and short stories>

Avatar Image says:

We learned last year that my brother has primary progressive MS. He was doing so well in his career… loved his profession and his whole life was looking up. Now it’s all gone, he can’t do the same work and there really is no help out there for him. He works until he passes out or shakes so badly he can hardly walk. Jo speaking out to help get rid of this means so much. A little push of hope. If she can champion it, maybe the attention can help advance some breakthrough. wouldn’t that be wonderful?

God, she’s so wonderful. ♥ ♥ ♥

Avatar Image says:

My mom as multiple sclerosis whenever someone talks about the effects of it… it scares me but my mom’s a fighter! I hope they find a cure soon and I love j.k. rowling for bringing awareness to the disease.

Avatar Image says:

I love jo! She’s so kind and i really don’t care about beedle’s as much as i did before. Before i felt really annoyed that i wasn’t ever able to read it but recently i have stopped being so darn selfish. I’m lucky for having so much in my life and i’m happy that i’m priveleged.

Jo is an incredibly talented and special women and I’m sure her mother is looking down on her proud and smiling.

Avatar Image says:

Flittwick, I know as well, my wife was diagnosed almost 25 years ago. keep fighting and beat the thing, Flit!

Avatar Image says:

My mum was diagnosed with MS ten years ago, but it has not let it stopped her from doing the things she wants. Its great that Jo is highlighting the plights of MS sufferers and her own experience of the disease via her mother.

Write a Reply or Comment