More on Possible New Dan Radcliffe Movie about Photojournalist Dan Eldon

272

Dec 30, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Several days ago we reported that actor Dan Radcliffe was possibly in line to portray the late photojournalist Dan Eldon in a new movie. Today, the Guardian has more on this, featuring an interview with Kathy Eldon, the mother of the photographer, who says Dan will be portraying her son in this new movie. Quotage:

The film, Journey, will see Radcliffe play Dan Eldon, a 22-year-old who was among four journalists stoned to death by a mob in Mogadishu in July 1993. The timing is right and the person is right and I couldn’t ask for more,’ said Kathy, a journalist, producer and activist. ‘He has portrayed a magician for years and my Dan was a different kind of magician. There are parallels in the two Dans’ lives. Daniel Radcliffe is a poet, he keeps journals and he’s half Jewish. He has a puckishness, sense of humour and energy inside him which remind me of Dan…’Daniel Radcliffe is the first time we’ve found a young enough actor with a global following. We love the way he’s a global soul. He’s travelled the world and feels comfortable in the world and hasn’t been corrupted by Hollywood.’

While this sounds very exciting, we are trying to obtain official confirmation from Dan’s reps, and will update with more on that when we can. Also, if this proves certain, we do not know when this film will be made, as Dan is currently filming “Half-Blood Prince,” that continues until early spring of 2008, and is also set to return to the stage when “Equus” opens on Broadway in the fall of 2008. The story of “Journey” focuses on 22 year old Dan Eldon, a photographer who was brutally murdered in Somalia in 1993, when he and his colleagues Hansi Krauss, Anthony Macharia of Reuters and Hos Maina of the Associated Press were surrounded then stoned and beaten to death after an angry mobbed turned on the journalists in the aftermath of a bombing in Mogadishu. You can read more about Dan Eldon and see some of his remarkable photographs via this link, as well as learn more about journalists who are killed each year while bringing the news, here. Thanks Helena!

94 Responses to More on Possible New Dan Radcliffe Movie about Photojournalist Dan Eldon

Avatar Image says:

“His mother, Kathy, says that she has rejected numerous bids for film rights to the story, and met but turned down leading actors including Orlando Bloom, Heath Ledger, Ryan Phillippe and Joaquin Phoenix, all of whom were eager to play the part.”

wow

Everyone should read the article, Kathy’s words are really touching! I’m very happy she has finally found the right person, so she can fulfill her dream to film a movie about his son which I’m sure will inspire a lot of people in the world. Our Dan is a very inspiring person too, and after watching all his movies this year I know he will do a great job. And filming in Kenia will be an amazing experience!

Avatar Image says:

I hope this is confirmed from Daniel’s team soon. It will be an amazing project for him . If HBP filming ends in early Spring 2008 Dan could still have time to film this in May,June and July of 2008 before ging to NYC to start rehursals for Equus to start. Dan has said he really doesn’t like to have a lot of idol time, so I’m very happy he is finding this type of role to keep him busy in his craft.I love watching him as Harry but seeing him portray other characters,particularly real people , is a joy. I’m so glad Kathy Eldon waited for him and didn’t really consider those who had wanted the part proper.

Avatar Image says:

Oh Dan keeps journals? I would be happy to read them!

Avatar Image says:

“I hope this is confirmed from Daniel’s team soon”

I has been confirmed that Dan will indeed be involved in this project

http.//www.danradcliffe.co.uk

“SQUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE”

Avatar Image says:

Fabulious!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO good to read it has been confirmed ! Looking forward to more info on the project.

i love you

Avatar Image says:

In 1993, the night the four journalist in question were killed , American Black Hawk Helicopter gunship dropped a bomb in our home in the district of Hondon in Mogadishu. Among those who were killed were three of my nephews. Including was Ahmed, 22 years old 3rd year undergraduate student in Chemistry. My family have never received as much as a simply apology from the United States. But Daniel’s life will me immortalized by Hollywood even as United States is at present busy financing the death and destruction of Somalia! Shame!

Avatar Image says:

I am very sorry for your loss Amina, but this web site is not the place for political bashing. We are here to enjoy a special world created for us by JK. There is enough bad in the world so lets try to stay focused on the positive. Doublecore….( USA)

Avatar Image says:

Gee another dying son movie. hope he does better with this than My Boy Jack. He was so boring in that movie. Not his best. He’s just trying to hard, he’s practically screaming “Will somebody give me an aeard that matters.”

Avatar Image says:

Global following? December Boys was a global flop.

Avatar Image says:

Amina, I am sorry for your loss, however this website is not for political bashing. It is dedicated to the special world JK created for us and a place to talk and enjoy this special world. So let’s all enjoy this magical world and focus on the positive.

doublecore(USA)
Avatar Image says:

This sounds like an incredible project… wow…

Avatar Image says:

Amina, I am sorry for your loss as well. But this young journalist still deserves attention for what he did for the people who he cared about.I don’t feel what the US did was the fault of this journalist .Journalist used to be protected , we need them to show all sided of what is really happening in a conflict. Daniel did an excellent job of bringing Jack Kipling to life in My Boy Jack , I think he will be even better with his portrayal of Dan Eldon.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t see any “political bashing” in Amina’s comments—just a reminder that politics is everywhere, and there is always another side to an issue which we should keep in mind.

Avatar Image says:

I wouldn’t consider a small indie film like December Boys to be a flop at all. I have the DVD and enjoyed Dan’s performance. I’m sure Journey is not indended to be a blockbuster either, but a personal film that is very character driven so we be able to see who Dan Eldon really was and what his life passion was about.

Avatar Image says:

Why take the energy to leave a comment if you have nothing nice to say? This sounds like a wonderful and worthwhile project, and right up Daniel Radcliffe’s alley, too. The quotes from Dan Eldon’s mother are very touching. This is definitely exciting news!!

Avatar Image says:

I think the movie December boys was a great movie! It is not a big flop at all. I’m glad this has been confirmed finally! Good job Dan! I know you will do a great job in the movie.

Avatar Image says:

Amina, you have the right to say what you wish and I can hear your pain and sympathize. But if I understand it correctly, this journalist was there to document what was happening. First, such concern for others should be commended. Second, US citizens, and I include myself, are notoriously ignorant of international affairs. Our local news broadcasts are very quick summaries, if they touch upon foreign news at all. And although we should be more aware, I do think Hollywood films do provide a powerful way for us to learn about important issues. Movies such as Ghandi, the Killing Fields, provided a starting point for me to read more about colonialism, satygraha (or civil disobedience) and US involvement in other countries.

I wish we lived in a more peaceful world but we don’t. And we have an obligation to actively find the truth and do something about it. Making and watching a movie doesn’t sound like much, but in fact, movies do inform and can inspire greater things.

Avatar Image says:

Ooh I hope this is confirmed. Finally Dan will be able to show his Jewishness on the big screen! That’s a reason i love Dan: he’s Jewish, and proud of it!

Avatar Image says:

Amina Mire, I’m very sorry for your loss and pain, and you have the right to say what you want…But, this story is about an American journalist who was there to spread understanding of what was going on to the US. That’s what the movie’s about.

Avatar Image says:

My intervention is informed by the fact the American people are being fed by one sided tragic saga about US involvement in Somalia. Hence, the 2001 Ridley Scott’s Hollywood’s film ‘Blackhawk Down’ based on Mark Bodwen’s Memoir of the same name had played up the Hollywood formula: ‘good guys’ - usually, white, heterosexual, viral and militaristic fighting the ‘bad guys’—weak, black, feminized, liars and cowards.

Second, I am an expert in the cultural production of "truth" and this film is a discursive production of specific  truth of specific western[Jewish]journalist who was killed in Somalia.. I have never said that he did not come to Somalia to help the people of Somalia nor did say that his life does not deserve remembrance. the question is do western public know about death and destruction against the people of Somalia so that loss of Daniel to his family is placed within the context of great loss to the people of Somalia?

“In his foreword to Mogadishu!: Heroism and Tragedy, Ross Perot wrote: ‘Read this book carefully. Never forget its contents as you watch the TV docu-dramas of smart bombs going down air shafts, where war is presented in a sterile, sanitized environment. Remember, war is fighting and dying.’1 Notable by its absence from the final sentence is the verb ‘killing’. Careful readers will find, for example, that U.S. helicopters fired off no fewer than 50,000 Alpha 165 and 63 rockets on 3 October 1993 in the course of the battle near the Olympic Hotel in Mogadishu, in which eighteen U.S. soldiers died and one was captured. The book lauds ‘the world’s most highly trained and effective military “extraction unit”’, that gained more decorations than any other American flying unit in U.S. military history for a comparable size of operation.2 But there are only hints at the carnage among the Somali civilians who lived—and all too commonly died—in this closely packed residential quarter of the city.”U.S. War Crimes in Somalia Published on: Feb 28, 2007 Printable VersionBy Alex de Waal

From the New Left Review, 30, 1998, 131-144.

Avatar Image says:

Tansey, that’s not true, December Boys is selling lots of DVDs which shows that if WB would have given it a proper distribution, that’s it: releasing it more than in 3 or 4 cinemas… it would have done lots of money. WB did a great damage to that movie, but I guess not many people know the true about that. I don’t understand your frustration, why can not you just be happy for Dan? He is a good boy who just love his work and put a lot of passion, energy, love, talent and work in it. I watched MBJ and Dan was great in it, he was fantastic in DB too. You are just a basher so the surprising thing is you’d write something positive I guess. About your first comment, I’m sure you wouldn’t say that if the actor you like would be the one in it. Also, it shows you are writting a comment about a post you have not even read, what bashers usualy do… because the article explains this movie is not going to be like that, all the contrary.

Amina, Dan Eldon was a good young man, thanks to him the world knew for the first time what was happening in Somalia, and thanks to that many lives were saved with the food people sent there. The dream of her mother is to make a movie about his son’s life so it can inspire other people to continue the work his son did. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. If what you write it’s true, you should understand better than anyone else what it feels to lost someone you love, you should understand her.

I don’t really understand why you write about that here. But I think you should be happy they are going to film this movie because it’s a way to show to the world what happened, how many lives were taken that day. If this movie is not done, no-one will know about it. For example, I didn’t know about what happened that day until I read the New York Times article the other day about Dan Eldon. Thanks to him, his family and Mr Radcliffe, many young people like me are finding out about all what happened during those years, and still happens in Somalia. If they would do a movie about all the people who are killed inSomalia, I’m sorry but the true is not many people would be interested in watching that. But doing a movie like this, a lot of people will want to see it and then they will learn about it. Maybe you should look at it from that point of view.

You are criticizing the world doesn’t know about this, and atthe same time you are criticizing something which could tell the world about it.

You visit this site, so you are obviously a HP fan, but you don’t criticize all the money spent in the HP movies, or all the money Jo Rowling earns, instead of doing a movie about what’s happening there. From my point of view that’s hypocritical.

This film is way to show to the world how many journalist risk their lives everyday so the world can know what happens in places like Somalia, do you think that’s wrong too? The work they do is really admirable.

Avatar Image says:

Amina, before criticizing maybe you should inform yourself better. Dan Eldon was nor American, he was British, but most part of his lif he lived in Kenya, so you can say he was African. You have not seen this movie so you don’t really know from what point of view it will be told. And you obviously haven’t even read the article before writting your opinion because if you would have read it you would know Kathy’s words contradict many of what you say. She doesn’t want people to see her son as an hero, she just want to tell his story, like he told it with his journals. You don’t even know if this is an American production, because the producers have still not been announced. And the scriptwriter is Australian btw.

Dan Eldon loved Africa, he lived there most of his life, you want a movie told from the point of view of Africans, this is a good opportunity to do it. Have you seen Dan eldon’s diaries? Please, read them, then tell me if he didn’t love Africa and African people. There is no better eyes to tell a story like this than from Eldon’s eyes.

Ridley Scott’s Hollywood’s film ‘Blackhawk Down’??? how can you compare two movie if you haven’t even seen one of them? If you think Dan Radcliffe would choose to be in a movie like Blackhawk Down, you don’t know Dan at all…

Avatar Image says:

Amina, Please go someplace else to post your political theories. This is NOT the place. I hope Daniel does it if he wants to. Go Dan!

Avatar Image says:

“How stunning that you think the very ontology of the suffering of people of Somalia need ed the gaze of western eyes for to it be receive d as real suffering! Thanks for backing up my point!”

Oh! So it would have been better to let 6 MILLIONS of Somalies dying?

And please, don’t change my words, because you know very well I’ve not said that. Actually, what I’ve said it’s all the contrary. I’ve said that because Dan Eldon lived most of his life in Africa, he was more African than British (you didn’t even know he was not American, you didn’t do great research before criticizing…) his story is not told from an Occidental poin of view, it’s told from an African point of view.

Avatar Image says:

I am not the one who brought identity politics to thisstory or to thread! The “Jewishness “of Daniel as the reaosn reason why this specific actor might be chosen to play him is well reported in the media! I am only responding to it. I’ve read the thread very carefully. Perhaps you do not like my intervention of it is coming from the location of the other! My posts are interventions from the position of the discursively silenced voices of thousands of dead Somalis, killed by the USA war machine. This is not the narrative Hollywood want s to produce. I realise that. But people need to think through the factual merit of my links.

Avatar Image says:

Can everybody just get along? Dan is a great guy (and possibly my boyfriend) and I just want him to do well!

Avatar Image says:

6 Million Somalis ‘saved’ by US invasion 1993 is pure myth! Please read the links I have provided, in particular Alex De Waal’s link.

Discursive production of "truth' is powerful, indeed!
Avatar Image says:

MODERATORS: can someone please get in here and clean up this comment thread? I didn’t come on here to read about world politics, no matter how well-intentioned the posts.

Avatar Image says:

Amina, it’s funny how you can change the subject so quickly… you have just showed all of us what you really meant writting all those comments. It’s just, you don’t want people to be happy for Daniel!

First of all, I’ll tell you: I’m not American. So you didn’t even got that right. I live in Spain, but my mother is from South Africa and my father was from Algelia, and I don’t like when some people like you are so “outraged” for things that actually can be helpful for us, like this movie.

It’s obvious you like to take things out of contest, because if you read the article, Kathy doesn’t say he chose Dan because of that. She says Dan shares many things with his son, and one of them is that one, just that. Using that as an excuse to write about politics doesn’t make sense.

It’s not that I don’t like your intervetion, it’s that I think it’s very off topic and you have not documented yourself well before writting. You didn’t know who Dan Eldon really was, you thought he was American. You haven’t read his diaries. You didn’t read his mothers words before writing. You were talking about a movie you haven’t even seen yet.

What I understand reading your comments is you don’t like American movies who tell stories from their ponit of view, often very patriotic and too “heroic”. Well, I’m sure this movie is not going to be like those. First, because he lived most of his life in Africa, so when he died, it was an African dying, so if you are really from there, you should feel this, like I feel it. Second, reading her mother’s words, it’s obvious the movie will be very different of that. And if you’d know Daniel Radcliffe just a little, that’s not the type of movies he want to be part of.

Basically, you are prejudicing, and the only reason I find to that here, is that: you are just a basher, and this is your way to try to dirty this news. I’ve been reading Leaky since many years ago, I know HP fandom too well, I know how it works, and the extrems some people reach in order to bash…

If you really are from Somalia and you have internet access that means you come from one of the rich familes, and the ways those familes use to get money… that’s more shameless that what those you criticize do. So either you are lying, or you are not the better person to be judging.

Avatar Image says:

Amina, again, you are changing my words. I didn’t say 6 millions were saved, I know that was nothing at all like that! My father was there helping, that’s an aproximation of the nunmer of people who were dying because of hunger. Thanks to Dan Eldon the world learned about that, and food was sent there, I think that’s better than nothing.

I’m sorry, but I agree with Kelly all our posts should be deleted, it’s too offtopic. Look Amina, if you want to continue talking about this, please send me an email: [email protected] I would be more than happy to share with you my father’s pictures and expiriences, and talk about what you wrote in those sites.

Leonard

“If you really are from Somalia and you have internet access that means you come from one of the rich familes, and the ways those familes use to get money… that’s more shameless that what those you criticize do. So either you are lying, or you are not the better person to be judging”.

that is a stupid commet, firstly I am from North somalia which is relatively safe, and internet access is in abundance. the are literally thousands of internet cafes. Also my i remind you that somalia has one of the best internet connection in East africa, even though it has no fuctioning government.

I just hope the movie shows the suffering of the somalis and not just focus on the journalist. and turn it into some rose-tinted hero worship movie.

Avatar Image says:

Ok, I think everyone has had their say. Now its time to get back to what this site is really for. I am glad the actors of the HP films are getting other movies. I am reallly looking forward to the JK A Year In The Life. I hope it comes to the US soon:)

Avatar Image says:

ALi hirsi, I’m sorry if I offended you, I have my own reasons to say that, like I said before, send me an email and we can talk more about it. Basically, I think it’s not fair the ones who live in the “rich” part of a country are the ones criticizing certain things, but if you don’t agree, I’d like to talk about it using emails.

The true is we don’t even know if the movie will be based in that time of Dan Eldon’s life or the time when he was in Kenya for example. And he was not a journalist, he worked as a photojournalist for Reuters, and focusing on his life they would be focusing in the lives of my other people he knew. That was exactly my point, I think everyone could learn a little bit about this young man before prejudicing. That’s all.

Avatar Image says:

It cannot be an accident that at a moment in history when the US might face international community’s critical gaze for sponsoring the illegal invasion of Somalia by proxy that have caused unmitigated death and destruction in Somalia, a caring young journalist, whose life was cut short by brutal and unjust killing by angry mob in Somalia, is being enlisted to turn a potentially story of genocide and shame to one of America’s heroism. Now, as how many Somalia lives have been saved as a result of US shock and Awe “operation restore hope” saved in 1993? According the UN: “The humanitarian garb of Operation Restore Hope was superficial from the start. Launched in December 1992 just as the famine was waning, the dispatch of troops had more to do with testing the newly emerging doctrine of ‘humanitarian intervention’ than saving Somalis. An independent review by the U.S. Refugee Policy Group concluded that the operation saved between 10,000 and 25,000 lives rather than the two million initially advertised.3 This sober reality was noted at the time, though few chose to listen amidst the hype generated among the media, the UN and the Pentagon. Much more modest forms of relief aid could have achieved exactly the same result.” http://hornofafrica.ssrc.org/de_Waal3/

Avatar Image says:

Amina, really, why don’t you read? He was not American! And his mother has been trying to do this movie since 2003! But they were waiting for the right actor! You can google about it and find many articles from 2003 and 2004. You don’t know if the ones producing this movie are Americas. We got your point, you don’t like America, repeating it won’t make you been right. You are so blind you don’t see all the good things this movie can bring, you don’t see all the love this young man had for Africa, you just want to think it’ll be another typical American movie… whatever, I think you just are just another typical basher. I just can not understand how Leaky always delete these kind of comments, but when it is related with Daniel people can say whatever they want, no matter how offensive it is, or it is based in right facts or not.

Avatar Image says:

Amina, I can respect that these are your personal and political opinions, and that you want to get them out there. However, I do not feel that your comments address what we were meant to talk about on this particular comments board: Daniel Radcliffe’s new role. When we speak of Dan Eldon, it is on topic - but you are bringing another level to it. I don’t want to sound unfeeling - I’m very, very sorry for your loss and pain. But truly, this Harry Potter site isn’t the place for it.

Avatar Image says:

Ooops….I didn’t mean for that all to be crossed out! Sorry. Hopefully it’s easy to still read it.

Avatar Image says:

This piece of news is the best I could receive as a movie lover and a Dan fan. This young man makes me so proud of him that sometimes I feel I am going to explode. He has made my year with his excellent performances first in ‘Equus’ and then in ‘December Boys’ and ‘My Boy Jack’ and of course in ‘OotP’. This new project looks fantastic and I am sure he is going to excell again. It seems people involved in the film industry are really eager to have him in their projects. Go Dan!!! We are eager to see you portraying a new character. Best of luck in your new project!

quoted from DeathlyH on December 30, 2007 @ 11:53 AM

euh, did he not already did that in Equus? Maybe those who have seen the play life on stage can verify if that part of the Jewish tradiotion was followed.

Sorry, but althrough I know his mother is Jewish, and he therefor by definition too, I am still searching for the intervieuw where he speaks about being raised in a Jewish tradition. I got the impression that it was not a main issue in the Radcliffe-family.

Avatar Image says:

I think we should all make a Herculean effort to keep the Leaky as a place to discuss all things Potter. I am sure that is what the Webmistress would want as well:)

Avatar Image says:

Perhaps because Leaky sees that there are other voices and others whose lives and loss are worthy of mourning. Ahmed, one of my 3 nephews, killed by the US helicopter gunship ,in October 1993, was planning to come to Canada to complete his studies in chemistry. It must in our blood for my first degree was also in Chemistry. He was the only child for his mother. His mother has unique genetic marker in the blood RH factor which attack s unborn child[male only] by passing bad genetic material through the pleasanta. The child would born perfectly healthy and would die suddenly within 2-3 week. Then a doctor figured this out. While she was pregnant with Ahmed, she was kept under constant medical supervision so that her bad RH (-) could be suppressed. Ahmed was born healthy and remained to be the pride and joy of his mother. He studied hard and passed his A level equivalence with flying colours. He enrolled in the Gahar national university and was in his 3 year when the civil war came to Somalia’s capital city. I went to a Catholic Church here in Canada asking for help, they were happy to sponsor him. We were planning to bring him to Rome and to Canada when he was killed. He was one of close to ten thousand Somalis killed by the United States during their short stay 1992-993. many also do not know that US was the main backer of Somali dictator Siyad Barre and in fact the US was not coming to Somalia to ‘save;’ it but more like returning to the scene of its political crime. Now, how it’s that Daniel’s mother can receive Hollywood backing but our dead cannot receive justice? And some are asking that my comments be deleted and that I shut up and go away?

Avatar Image says:

‘Another tragic death of a young man???!!! Is Dan trying to follow Alan Rickman in his early movie reputation as a dying man? Is this the ultimate thrill for a young actor; to die on stage? What is going on in the head of that boy? I don’t know how much influence he has on the enscenering, but I think that when he has his way the scene of “the forest again” will be much more spectaculair then the rather prosaic line in the book.’

kamion, he was done many projects in the last two years and this is only his second death scene. It is not like he has a death scene in every movie he does. What is going in your own head??? It was the same when people knew Jack also wore glasses (‘he only can portray character with glasses’) or he played Maps who also was an orphan (‘he only can play orphans’). It is always the same story. Bashers need to find something to critizise. I am happy Dan give bashers such a hard time with his many projects and excellent reviews. The more they bash, shout and insult, the more we know he has won another battle. Bashing is the only thing haters can do. Nothing is going to change the fact that he is a talented young actor with a brilliant future in front of him.

Avatar Image says:

kamion, he has just done one movie were he dies, it’s not like he has done ten or more… so I don’t understand the “another???” lol Why is it the death the only thing some people can see? Why don’t peple open their eyes and see the LIFE? that’s the most importnat thing. a death scene is what? 4 minutes, the movie can be more than 2 hours longer you now. Reading the beautiful words of Kathy, his mother, I think this is going to be more about his life, not his death. If this movie would be like that her mother would find lots of producers, the fact she is searching with care the producers means what she whats is not the typical hero movie. Seems to me some are just trying to hard to find something bad to say, but I think this proyect is so fascinating, all bad you say will be senseless.:)

About your last comment, it’s not funny, and many Jews can be feel offended for what you just wrote. It just shows how bad informed you are and you if you would have actually saw Equus before talking about it you would know that’s impossible to tell. Why are you so negative? are you jealous Dan will be part of this great proyect and some other actors not?

Avatar Image says:

Yeah Amina I’m sure Leaky people share your theory about the USA government wanting to produce this movie. lol

All you wrote is off topic, it has nothing to do with your point of view, which I actually agree with about some things. It’s this is not a comment board about politics, it’s about HP, his actors, his proyects. What you have written is not related with Dan Eldon’s life at all. You don’t notice it because you have not even taken one minute to learn who this young man was. You say things about a movie you have not seen, it’s as simply as that. You don’t want to express your pint of view, you just don’t want people to express their hapiness for these news.

Avatar Image says:

But, so this is a pure space of fantasy, but Somalia can be brought ias a dead symbolic space to be invested and projected with fantasies, but it Must never speaks its history? Do you think this arrogant attempt to silence, deny and exclude will add any credibility to the real story of Daniel’s life and death in Somalia?

Avatar Image says:

What a strange, strange thread this has become! Since this is a HARRY POTTER FAN I’m going to stop myself from including an explanation on elementary genetics regarding maternal “bad” negative (-) Rh blood factors “attacking” positive (+) Rh factors in her offspring…

Avatar Image says:

I am not a medical doctor ; but I do know that his mother lost 4 boys before Ahmed and that the doctor’s reason was it had to do with Rh- factor in her blood.

Avatar Image says:

Why this so big hatred towards Daniel? Why this envy? Why these insults for Daniel? Why this war against Daniel? For my, the more hate him, envy him, insult him, shoot him up to killing, Daniel will be always a winner and will triumph in all the challenges and battles, and the more I will love him.

Avatar Image says:

The death is a patrimony of the humanity and there are many persons, babies, young men/women and adults who die everywhere of the world. Example of it, my brother and several friends.

Avatar Image says:

Who hates Daniel? I am certain it is not I. Why the bring up of our dead can be construed as a hate for Daniel?

Avatar Image says:

And Amina, do you think that writting your opinion over and over in a HP comment board about a new movie will change something? No, but this movie can, it has already done. Many young people who were just kids at the beginning of the 90’s, they didn’t know about what happened in Somalia, maybe a lot of them don’t even know what it is happening there now. Now thanks to this news we all know a little more, they know about those boms who killed hundreds of people. You are contradicting yourself first saying this story is not worth telling and now defending it’s credibility. I just think what you defend can be helped with this movie, I have explained my reasons, you have just talked about other movies. All I say is wait, see it, and then comment all you want about it, but you can not write an opinion about a movie you have not seen, do you think is it crazy of me to think like this? I’m happy to hear about Somalia, that’s why I gave you my mail, I don’t want to silence you, I actually agree with many things you say. But this is not the place, this is a HP fan site, and you haven taken this discussion at least 5 degrees from these news.

2007, I don’t know, I think it’s just jealously, but I don’t understand it, all he does is work hard to bring to life our loved Harry. But next time someone writes Dan owes something to HP fans… I’ll copy some of these comments to them. But I really think there are more fans than bashers, it just happens that bashers tend to be more noisy. xD

Avatar Image says:

Yes, Rh factor is a genetic trait passed along, exactly like blue or brown eyes. Though () is incompatible with the (+) factors (baby and mother’s blood do apparently mingle briefly at time of birth), treatment is very simply an injection of Rhogam to the mother at time of birth. Using traditional western preventative medicine, not a single child’s life needs to be lost these days to this incredibly common genetic occurrance. I’m Rh() and have had the shot twice at the births of my children. ... I’m SO sorry to have allowed myself to respond so off-topic, but could this be the only place that some women who are Rh(-) might see they need to make sure their doctor knows of this when they become pregnant?

Avatar Image says:

Good god, this fight over Dan as Dan is going nuts! Can’t we all just get along and talk about how great this is, Dan getting into another non-HP movie!

Avatar Image says:

“Equus”, “My Boy Jack”, and now “Journey”. Seems to me Dan has wisely chosen interesting and challenging roles and should be congratulated.

I love this quote from the article: “He’s traveled the world and feels comfortable in the world and hasn’t been corrupted by Hollywood.”

AMEN to that!!! Love ya Dan!!!

Agreed with KB Prez.

Avatar Image says:

Amina, please listen to me for just a moment. I DO see where you’re coming from and that you want to get what you’re saying out there for people to see! But this really isn’t the place! I know you want to say these things, but right here, right now, they’re not appropriate. Please save it.

Avatar Image says:

Amina, I think she wasn’t talking about you, she was talking about the people who try to hard to find something bad to say about a certain actor, and actually repeat themselves so much they made obvious they are always the same person.

And don’t change the subject just when you don’t know how to answer, you were saying certain things and now you say you didn’t say that and you were just talking about Somalia, well, that’s not true.

If you want to write about Somalia, do it, I think it’s off topic (you are even making people talk about genetic stuff! lol), but if Leaky doesn’t agree, then I had nothing to say, I’m not a moderator.

But if you are going to say things about a movie you have not seen, just because you watched other movies (which there is not any proof that related them with this one), or if you are going to say things about Mr Eldon who are not true, then I’m not fine with that and I’ll answer. And I apologize to Leaky and everyone else for all this fuss…

Avatar Image says:

MODS: Get the clean up crew in here…

I do hope this film isn’t TOO Indy to the point that it becomes largely forgotten. That said, it shouldn’t be a blockbuster formulaic thing either.

As for Dan’s thing for playing the Orphaned or the Doomed, so what? Al Pacino always plays loud and explosive characters and he’s one of the most respected actors period. Everyone has their schtick, and Dan seems to have found his. ANd even if it isn’t going to be his acting “tradition”, no matter. He’s getting practice either way.

Avatar Image says:

So, back on-topic. Squee, I’m so excited! I think this is a great way for Dan Radcliffe to get better acting skills! Goodness knows he’s improved in Order of the Phoenix with anger since, “He was their friend”! Lol. Sorry Dan, I did love you back then too! I hope this movie works out for them. (Sorry, was that all completely incoherent?)

Avatar Image says:

I have never said this story is not worth telling; the point I have been trying to make is that what context and how. As for American kids not knowing what happened in Somalia during Daniels stay, given the sheer force to silence me at this message board tells me they will not know it from this movie either. Ignorance can be a form of power.

Amina Mire-

I think you’re missing the point of the movie.

Avatar Image says:

There is nothing more to say from my end. I do understand that people like their categories clear and neat., but human stories are more complex and contradictory. But then again, Hollywood is not known for showing the human condition in complex and contradictory fashion. It is also clear that most contrabutors to this thread had specific worthy victim in mind and they have not been able to imagine, for example, a film about Ahmed! Peace to all!

Avatar Image says:

Amira, no-one wants to silence you, your were not just talking about Somalia like now you pretend. You said many things about Dan Eldon and this movie which are not true, and I just told you the real facts, I just told you to please read before prejudicing, do you think that’s trying to silence you? We are giving our opinion like you are doing. If some people think something is off topic I think they can say it too. I have not said “American kids”, I’ve talked in general, you are obsessed with America, and that’s maybe the problem, because youe read about this movie and inmediately thought it was like any other movie you have seen. And now you want them to see this movie? that’s not what you said at the beginning, but I’m happy you have realized this can be a good thing so the world will know more about the terrible things that had happened and still happen in your country. What you were trying to say at the beginning at it seems you don’t remember now…is you would like them to spend the money making a movie that shows all the people who died these past years, well, you can write a script, send it to many producers and maybe you’ll see your dream come true, just like Dan Elsdon’s mother has done. You can not blame her for trying to make her dream come true. I know you have not, but you were implying like that, writing offensive this about this movie that you have not seen. But repeating here again and again the same things won’t make your dream happen. I’m not trying to silence you, I’m trying to tell you have already said what you wanted, there is no need to repeat it more times, now let the rest of the fans enjoy these news, because it seems you are the one trying to silence them. I have nothing more to say.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry, I wrote my last comment before reading yours, I’m happy we finally agree with something. I just hope you can open your eyes and see that you don’t even know if this is a Hollywood movie, you are prejudicing so much. and even Hollywood do good movies, it’s not good to generalize. I have not only a “worthy victim in mind”, but the fact that one story is not told in a movie doesn’t mean another story shouldn’t be told. Like I said, if you want to see a movie about that, write it, after all you think you know a lot about it. So just don’t ask for it, do it, it’s very easy and comfortable to be writing in your warm house and criticizing something but actually doing nothing about it. Dan Eldon’s mother is not like that, she worked hard to make this possible, maybe you could open your eyes and learn from her. Bye and good luck to Dan for the movie!

Amina,

Please do not think that we don’t care about the fact that you lost a member of your family. We know that is tragic, and that a story like that deserves to be told. But this particular story is Dan Eldon’s, and so that is what we are centering on. You obviously have your own opinions on things, and you have the right to those opinions, as well as the right to speak them. However, as people here have already told you, this isn’t really the place for it. I’m sure if you want to talk about those things, there are plenty of other places for it. This isn’t really one of them. I’m not saying leave – I wouldn’t dream of being that un-open. But please, consider what others are saying more fully before you post. If you think there should be a movie about Ahmed, I’m sorry, but we’re no filmmakers and we can’t make that happen, so it’s kind of pointless to ask us why we’re not invisioning that. I don’t want to sound insensitive, but it’s how it is.

So, moving on. I think Daniel Radcliffe would be excellent for this role!! Can we consider it confirmed? I guess not quite yet. But WOW would it be wonderful! I would see that movie. It sounds very inspirational. It seems like the kind of movie that, if they do it right, can be eye-opening when it comes to how we get news nowadays. (IMO, we don’t get it too well.)

It’s confirmed by Dan’s publicist – go to: http://www.danradcliffe.co.uk/

This is excellent news! Gongratulations, Dan!

Avatar Image says:

Hollywood has never claimed any sort of social responsibility… it is about making money… simple as that.

Avatar Image says:

... and congrats to Dan! I look forward to seeing this film… his acting skill has vastly improved over the years.

Avatar Image says:

margoooo, I am with you Hollywood is about making movies that make money; and if anyone believe all that you see in a Hollywood movie then you need help. Most of us know not to learn history from Hollywood..

Does it say this will be an American produced movie? I have not read all the article so I am not sure who is producing the movie but I did not think is was Hollywood. The only American-Hollywood produced film Dan has done so far is HP; I believe the others have productions by other countries. Lastly, if you don’t like American movies and the views they take them just don’t go see them it is as simple as that. If you want a movie for your view point then do as someone said above-write your story and bring it to a production company maybe they will buy it.

Congrats Dan I think you will be great in this role and keep picking things that will challenge you and keep picking great roles with lots or “meat” in them to stretch your acting chops.

Avatar Image says:

You know..I never see this type of controversy regarding Dan’s acting roles on Dan sites respectively, however, this is probably the most pathetic thread I’ve ever seen here on Leaky.

To the fans: simple as this. You don’t like the content of the comments, DON’T CONTINUE TO VISIT THE SITE. If they are moderated in such a way as to allow extreme free speech and you don’t like it, then leave.

Avatar Image says:

Amina was not bashing. She is stating what is a painful reality for her. Even though we are discussing a movie star what he will portray is not fantasy but the cold hard reality of war. It is political. That is a reality too.

Amina, my prayes go to you and you and your family and I am sorry to hear of your loss. You have the right to speak your peace and doing that is not bashing.

Amina,

I feel compelled to apologize for the ignorance of some of the people here. Some of Dan’s fans are sycophantic idiots.

Avatar Image says:

To Jane and Zebra, many thanks. I am also a mother and can imagine what might feel like to be Daniel’s mother. I can only imagine her loss. The sadness I feel is when people fail to grasp the different types of reality such as representation of war and actual war; the latter entails death and destruction of Human Being. I am also concerned because Hollywood has managed demonising the people of Somalia with BlackHawk Down. I am not certain this film will be any different.

However, an academic and a writer. I have wriiten about and will write about in the future my feeling of demonising representation of the people of Somalia since 1993 Downing of those two Black Hawks. I want the revenge killing and cultural demonising of the people of Somalia to end.

I can see most posters here might be young. Alas. I do not feel anger to any of you!
Avatar Image says:

“Some of Dan’s fans are sycophantic idiots.”

And a comment like that, makes you a….....????

I´m sorry Zebra, But WHAT ON EARTH makes you think you can call us that????

Amina Mire: Black Hawk Down was an American movie..Journey will be an English movie, and I agree with other posters here: DON`T jugde the movie before you´ve seen it

Avatar Image says:

Amina Mire, I am sorry for your loss…I have lost plenty of family members myself, so I know how devastating it feels. I sincerely hope that you do not have to experience that loss again.

As for my personal views on Daniel Radcliffe taking on this role, I’ve already said I’m so glad he is. I think it will be one of those movies that tests him as an actor – his ability to touch the emotions of those watching the film, and also his ability to portray a character that’s real. With Harry Potter, he could always read the books and go, Oh, Harry feels angry here. But with this, he needs a different kind of acting. I really can’t wait to see how he does. (For me, all bets are on that he’s awesome :)

Avatar Image says:

A magician?! What? Last time I checked, Harry was a wizard. Magicians don’t have magical powers; they pretend to. I’m sorry I’m taking this so literally. I just felt like pointing that out.

Avatar Image says:

I think Daniel has a lot of confidence and will be gerat on December Boys!!! Thats why io love him!

Avatar Image says:

why daniel did not give friendster

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations, once again, to Dan for rising to the challenge of taking on another mature, uncompromising role! While December Boys was an excellent break-out film for Dan, and he did a wonderful job of portraying “Maps”, a very different character from HP, his work in both EQUUS and My Boy Jack was stunning. Both roles required a level of maturity and skill that normally expected of an older actor.

Because of My Boy Jack, I learned about John Kipling and his short-lived, but heroic actions, and will always remember those who lost their lives in the trenches during WWI. Now, thanks to Dan, I’ll learn about an amazing photojournalist of whom I had no prior knowledge. I’ll definitely be making the time prior to release of Journey to learn as much as I can about Dan Eldon.

I’m so incredibly proud of the projects Dan has chosen. He no longer needs to make films for financial reasons, which allows him – as an adult – to select role that are of personal significance to him and, hopefully, to the rest of us. He is both an actor and an educator. Eowynn

Avatar Image says:

OH, ITS REALLY WONDERFULL.

DAN IS REALY WONDERFUL & THATS WHY I LOVE HIM

Avatar Image says:

Well Laura, Harry isn’t a “magician” per say. But Kathy Eldon is referring to Daniel Radcliffe who has studied the “art “of illustion and is himself a “magician”.

I am so excited over the news of this project and can hardly wait to read more information about it.Thanks TLC. :o)

plzzz check it 2day!!!

Avatar Image says:

Agreed Eowynn. Nice post.

Another good project for Dan. I was really hoping there’d be another non-HP for him in 2008 to go alongside Equus and here it is!

But why the clambering onto political soap boxes for some people here? This is a film about an admired photojournalist, about one man and his work, not a political documentary about Somalia. Any political viewpoint in the film will, if the film is made properly, be Dan Eldon’s.

Avatar Image says:

Another great project for Dan although another tragic story that I’m sure Dan will portray perfectly but it would be nice to see him in a non tragic part as I would hate to see him type casted as the tragic hero every time although his acting of these parts are terrific so come on Dan lets see your acting talents spread its wings I.m sure you can do it.

Avatar Image says:

i’ve just heard daniel has got a new role, he’s been getting a lot of work lately. When is rupert going do to something new? I’m irritated.

Avatar Image says:

I was thrilled to read for the first time that Dan’s half-Jewish! I knew there was more than one thing I loved about him. What a great role model for all our kids, and especially our son, who’s growing up in a Christian/Jewish family. Why hadn’t we heard this before?

Avatar Image says:

Judy, he first mentioned it in an Australian interview quite a while ago. It certainly makes him more fascinating, doesn’t it?

To me, this movie will alert people to the whole story, like that movie Michael J. Fox did where some US soldiers did terrible things in Vietnam. The fact that this poor boy died in the line of work is the reality, unfortunately, he isn’t the first and he certainly isn’t the last. I hope it does make it to filming, movies like these don’t tend to be blockbusters, but is important to be seen. Well done Dan!

Avatar Image says:

This should be a wonderful film. I had the joy of writing part of my honors thesis on Dan Eldon, and his story is incredible. Though he died at age 22, he lived more in that time than most people could if they have 500 years. I’m so glad they are finally making a movie about his life, and Dan Radcliffe should do a wonderful job with the part.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, another acting coup for Dan ! The character he will be playing is fluent in Afrcan languages so that means Dan wil take some lessons in those dialects. And I hope the director handles that stoning to death scene well. If given the right treatment, it could achieve some symbolic meaning for people of today.

And I thought last year was his busiest but Dan was just gearing up for more. Even the media has remarked on how he will fit this rpoject into his already heavy schedule. Maybe the filmmakers can start principal photography next year but may have to wait for Dan to finish his HP commitments before he is free to become another character. But then, as they say, Dan Rad is worth the wait.

And let the bashers just choke on their sour grapes. lol. 1) THis movie has more meat than ten teen or indie films combined. If your own idols find it hard to get a project, don’t blame Dan for beating Heath Ledger and other big stars for this role. 2) December BOys as an indie film is performing as expected of an indie film. After only 3 months it has already earned more than a million dollars and hey come on, indie films only have 2 to 4 million budgets. DB is set to be shown in more countries next year so the boxoffice total may yet go up.

BTW, I don’t think “Journey” is an indie film. With the prepublicity being set into motion this early, it doesn’t sound like an indie film. It may just be a low budget mainstream film, something on the scale of “Blood Diamond”.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for information. many interesting things Celpjefscylc

Write a Reply or Comment