“Snape: Friend or Foe?” Panel Discussion Video Now Online

115

Jun 29, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

In addition to the ‘Harry Potter Book Club” discussion panel that took place during the Phoenix Rising conference last May in New Orleans, Borders has now released video of the much talked about “Great Snape Debate” panel that also took place during the conference. The panel of Snape supporters and dissenters, that includes our own Leaky Lounge administrator Nick Rhein, are asked the question: ‘Is Snape loyal to Dumbledore and friend to Harry Potter? Or is Snape loyal to Voldemort, and therefore foe?’

Available to view online as well as download in Windows Media Player and iPod friendly Quicktime, the hour long discussion covers a diverse range of topics that touch on, among other things, Snape as a child, student, teacher and possible love interest of Lily Potter. Enjoy!

16 Responses to “Snape: Friend or Foe?” Panel Discussion Video Now Online

Avatar Image says:

That’s awesome! I’ll have to watch it right now! Just wanted to let you guys know that Variety now has its review of OOTP up: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117934037.html?categoryid=31&cs=1 I’ll comment again about the Snape Debate thing after I watch it.

Avatar Image says:

I need to watch it now! That is sooooo cool!! :D 11 more days til we find out…

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm…the “snape being a love interest” for lily gets to me for some reason. i just think i would be very disappointed to learn that snape liked lily and therefore fueled the james/snape rivalry. i think lily is a bit more important than that and that blood, house, and basic principles were more significant than some rivalry involving lily. and even if it wasn’t a rivalry but rather snape loving from afar…i just wouldn’t like it.

Avatar Image says:

The Telegraph has a positive review too. For what it says, it seems Harry, Umbridge and Bellatrix are exactly like they are in the books! The only thing this reviewer doesn’t seem to know is that Harry and Cho are no supposed to have much chemistry, so he doesn’t understand that that’s something good of the movie too!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, the panel discussion, esp. that Hilary Justice woman has incredibly thought through and well-founded theories about how the story continues and what snapes motivations and role is and will be. Her opinion about the parallels between the HP main Plot and the egyptian story of horus,osiris,isis,seth and anubis hit, I think, the mark incredibly precise. I am so sure about it I almost feel spoilt.

Avatar Image says:

Looking forward to it, but it wasn’t exactly last May, was it? It was this past May…

Hendrik, I agree!

There’s one thing from the debate that I feel disappointed in, and that was the discussion about Hagrid overhearing Dumbledore and Snape. I don’t think either side really gave a good explanation.

I sort of like Melissa Aneli’s stand on that scene, where if Snape was on Voldemort’s side, then he wouldn’t be arguing with Dumbledore on anything…unless it was something that Voldemort didn’t want Snape to do. Eh.

Avatar Image says:

I also agree with Hendrik, even though I am on the other side of the fence. All of the panelists did an incredible job, and I was most impressed with Hilary’s analysis. I would love to find out more about Set and Horus and how the myth could relate to Harry Potter.

I always thought that Snape and Dumbledore were arguing over the Draco incident that Harry told DD about just before the argument, but I may have the timeline wrong. I will look it up.

Avatar Image says:

I kinda feel like trhe FOE SIDE didn’t get much time to talk..Friend got at least twice as much. It was good, not as good as the Book Club, IMO, but good.

Posted by Kevin on June 29, 2007 @ 09:39 PM

well, no one was stopping the foe side from speaking but then that is understandable since snape is evil has no interesting theories to back it up with or anything to say for that matter other then stating canon which we know is not as it seems.

I loved the idea that snape had an UV with lily theory. I never heard of that one before.

Avatar Image says:

I just watched the Snape: Friend or Foe cast, and I’m surprised that no one brought up the Irma Pince = Im a Prince theory. Ah well.

I have to agree with Hendrik, Justice’s Egyptian mythology theory sounds really good. I even went and Googled it as she suggested. I’m not finding anything that says that Anubis is the patron saint of orphans, though, or that Anubis helped Horus. I’m also not finding anything that says that Horus took the body of a lion along with a hawk’s head (just the hawk form) while Set took the body of a snake or serpent. What I did find interesting though is that several variations of the story claim that Horus was above killing Set and allowed him to live in the end. Hmmm… Could Harry allow Voldemort to live? Maybe spend the rest of his days in Azkaban?

Avatar Image says:

That’s all well and good, but why were “Loyal to Dumbledore AND friend to Harry” lumped together? He loathes Harry, and always will, despite the fact that he had to follow Dumbledore’s orders.

Avatar Image says:

Hey all, thanks for agreeing :) I Googled the egyptian mythology (in german) and could find Horus as a griffin and that Set is often connected to snakes. Osiris (who would be Dumbledore) was hacked into 14 or 16 pieces (not 7 !!) and spread all over egypt, then collected by Isis (Lilly?) and brought back to life. So this is NOT really the HP story! But I think it doesn’t matter. If there is the version out there Hilary (as a university professor)mentioned (with a 7 piece person and so on), JK might have read that same story and gotten influenced by it. Anyway it doesn’t matter, if it is so hard to find nobody gets spoiled :)

Avatar Image says:

”... snape is evil has no interesting theories to back it up with or anything to say for that matter other then stating canon which we know is not as it seems.”

I agree, though I will say that interesting doesn’t necessarily mean right. The Dumbledore-is-really-dead theory was purely supported in canon by the fact that Snape killed Dumbledore; there wasn’t much more to say. The theory that DD was still alive was, therefore, much more interesting. Yet Jo has confirmed that Dumbledore is in fact dead.

Still, the other side could have rebutted more with what Jo has said in interviews about the quality of Snape’s character. Would she really spend that much time admonishing the young ladies who idolize Snape only to make him this enormously misunderstood hero? Would she forever cement this “deeply horrible” person as the heart throb of millions, sending an implicit signal that abusive men really can be sweethearts underneath their vindictive, hurtful exteriors? Many fans claim that Jo says these sorts of things to throw us off track and mislead us: that Jo was cleverly trying to mislead us is exactly what many H/Hr fans claimed before HBP. My experience from looking back at Jo’s interviews with what we know now is that she is often evasive (which can be quite telling) but never misleading.

Hendrik, there are many, many different versions of this tale, and some versions do include that there were seven pieces. Here is a reference to one of those versions: “Set has torn the body of the Unknown King [Osiris] entombed there into seven pieces. ” http://amigareviews.classicgaming.gamespy.com/eyeofhor.htm

Avatar Image says:

Snape is evil and we all know it, there is no question… But i think that he and Harry will come to an understanding in the 7th book.

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: And the answer is..... BOTH!

Write a Reply or Comment