Falls Church, Virgina “Harry-est” Town in USA Says Amazon

114

Jul 16, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Amazon has now released the final results of the town who has pre-ordered the most copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The winner is Falls Church, Virgina (located outside of Washington DC, with a population of just over 11,000), beating out “Gig Harbor, Wash., and two other Virginia towns-Fairfax and Vienna- with Katy, Texas rounding out the top five. Media, Pa.; Issaquah, Wash.; Snohomish, Wash.; Doylestown, Pa.; and Fairport, N.Y.” As a result, Amazon.com is donating ” a $5,000 Amazon.com gift certificate to the Mary Riley Styles Public Library Foundation Trust of Falls Church.”

“We are honored to win the Harry-est Town in America title,” said City of Falls Church Mayor Robin S. Gardner. “Our small-town community places great importance on education and reading, and it’s no surprise that we have a wealth of Harry Potter fans of all ages. We’re grateful to Amazon.com for this generous gift that will further encourage the value of books and imagination in our community.”

To determine a winner, the online retailer choose a town where pre-orders of the last Harry Potter novel were based on sales per capita and “used the most recent U.S. Census data and included all U.S. towns and cities with a population of more than 5,000 people.” A full list of the states can be found here, and the cities in this competition, here.

Amazon has stated that over 2 million copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows have been pre-sold world wide with just a week to go before the release

37 Responses to Falls Church, Virgina “Harry-est” Town in USA Says Amazon

Avatar Image says:

Congrats Virginia! I was just there on holiday a week ago…

I find it kind of funny though how the “Harry-est” town in America happens to be downsouth where they are more, er, religion oriented, and many religious people have tended to dislike the book. Well that’s my impression when I was down south.

Anyway, congrats!

Avatar Image says:

Haha, the three Virginia towns in the top five (Falls Church, Fairfax and Vienna) are all in the northern part, close to DC and very much not like the rest of the south.

Congratulations Falls Church!

Avatar Image says:

Not surprising really when you think of the make up of Falls Church as well as Fairfax and Vienna. All three are in the High Tech sector and Government Sector so most are educated and either buying for themselves and/or their children who are most likely encouraged to read as well in large amounts.

Congratulations to them!

Avatar Image says:

I wouldn’t mind having some co-fans living around me, but from a town of exclusivly Potterheads I probably move screaming.

Falls Church representing! XDDDD

Wow, Virginia! Who knew? Congrats! :D

Avatar Image says:

I live right next to Vienna, Virginia and Virginia, you make me SO PROUD!!! Yay!!! Maybe Pottercast and wizard rock won’t skip the best state in the south any more!

Avatar Image says:

Please, folks, don’t stereotype us folks “down South” . . . We love Harry too, Laura Mallory notwithstanding. Think of it this way – Mallory keeps LOSING in southern courts . . . ! :-)

Avatar Image says:

And, since I live in WA, congrats to WA :) I work in the town that was number 7 on the list!! :)

Congrats to VA, too! My friend, Ed, lives in Falls Church! (and guess who turned him on to the stories…)

Yay Potter fans everywhere!

Avatar Image says:

I live in WA too!WE are in the top 5 in both states and towns!!! I live 30min from Gig Harbor!! 4 more days! squeeee!!!!

Avatar Image says:

my hometown! you better recognize!!! ;)

Avatar Image says:

Washington State, woohoo!! Issaquah and Redmond, YAY!!! :DD Anyone on “The Plateau” from Washington?? :)

Avatar Image says:

As a religious, Catholic southerner, I love Harry and am proud of our state!

Avatar Image says:

:) This is probably because the Falls Church, Vienna and Fairfax residents want to avoid the horrendous DC-area traffic at the various bookstores. That and it’s just not worth doing the midnight parties if you’re not organized about it.

When I lived in Falls Church and got OotP (I had moved to the Midwest for HBP), I picked up my placeholder number at the nearby Tysons Corner Borders around 10:30 am…and I was Number 11. As in 10 other people got there in the half-hour the store had opened and gotten their numbers!

When I arrived at the store around 11 pm, the numbers were already up in the 300’s!

So I walked out the door at 12:05 with my copy, and some college kids in a pickup truck offered to buy my copy. I laughed, declined and asked them their number. It was somewhere in the 600’s! When I asked the staff later that week how long they were giving out books, they said until 6 am. You could have just slept in and picked up the book at 10 am at that point.

Compared to that, an Amazon pre-order with guaranteed Saturday delivery looks darn good :D

Avatar Image says:

Did anyone notice all of the Atlanta, GA-area towns on the Top 100 list? Six in the Top 40 alone, several others beyond, including Lawrenceville, GA (Laura Mallory’s stompin’ grounds).

So I just gotta say, what’s with all the South-stereotyping/-hatin’ happening in these comments?

Avatar Image says:

YAHH!!! I live in Northern VA, right near all 3 of these cities, this is sooo cool! Oh and for all you people who thinks that Northern VA is in the South, it’s really not. We’re VERY urban and none of us have Southern accents. Even though technically we’re under the Mason-Dixon line, I’ve never considered myself a Southerner.

Avatar Image says:

I live in Fairfax, VA and preordered my DH at the Borders there for Saturday morning pickup. When I placed the order, the store clerk asked if I would be willing to order three of them so that they would have two more copies to sell over the counter. I would only have to pay for one. It sounded like a good deal to me.

BTW, I’m 57 and my youngest child is 26 and has never read the books. Harry Potter is very popular among adults in this area. Vienna and Falls Church, VA are only a few miles away. Good area!

Avatar Image says:

haha, my town is only 25 on the list. oh well, at least there are some potter fans in maryland.

Avatar Image says:

Well if it could not be out home town, at least it was one close by! Hooray!

LB~

Avatar Image says:

You’re wrong about VA being in the South…

Farifax County is the 2nd most populated county in America (Orange County Calif being first) and has an amazing school system.

We’re not South in any means!!!

14 year old living in Fairfax….WE OWN!!...

It’s interesting that there aren’t any Potterheads at my school…hm maybe there are, I just don’t know them (none of my friends know I like the books) ...we’re all living lies!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m from Fredericksburg, VA and my city is number 16! Yay! And no, Virginia is really not very southern at all.

Avatar Image says:

To be Southern in the United States does not mean that the person is uneducated, radical evangelist, and uncultured.

But beyond that, Congrats to Falls Church!

Sweet Maine is #6!

Avatar Image says:

Woohoo maryland is number 9!

Avatar Image says:

Yay! I live in Fairfax. I love how this is the Harry-est place because really, you could know nobody in a class or something around here and you can make friends so fast just by bringing up Harry Potter. So yay Falls Church for being #1 and yay for all the other towns that got on the top 10.

Avatar Image says:

That’s excellent, I would love to find out what the Harryest town in the UK is.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to Falls Church, Virginia! I’m just wondering one thing: is this based on how many people preordered from Amazon or on how many people preordered total?

Avatar Image says:

i live in Virginia about 2 hours away from Vienna, Fairfax & Falls Church! Virginia definitely isnt very southern. maybe some cities in southwest VA are, but not the northern part, the cities near DC. My city isnt on the list but thats okay… congratulations to Falls Church!

Avatar Image says:

YEAH!!!!!!!!! Proud to be one of the many who helped NVA win the Harry-est contest once again! :) :) :) But Katie Bilius, Virginia isn’t really ‘down south’ if you ask me. Especially Falls Church,Fairfax,and Vienna. Us Northern Virginia-ers have never really considered ourselves southerners.

Avatar Image says:

Jessie K., The Remus Lupins and the Whomping Willows are playing at the Vienna Public Library on August 13th, so.. Wizard Rock IS showing some love!!! Yayy!! :)

Hey I live in Issaquah. so close =(

Avatar Image says:

WOOT! Hells yeah, Northern Virginia! That’s what I’m talking about!

Sorry, a bit excited.

Avatar Image says:

Go Northern Virginia! Everyone here absolutely loves Harry Potter. We are also definitely not Southern. Northern Virginia is right next to DC and incredibly diverse although plagued with horrendous traffic. Oh, and congrats to the District for beating all 50 states. I think that alone makes them deserving of getting some congressional representation.

Avatar Image says:

Whoo-hoo! I’m looking forward to Monday morning’s commute on the orange line (starts at Vienna & runs through Falls Church before hitting Arlington and running into DC) w/everyone suited up and engrossed in their Harry Potter books! I’m guessing a few of them will be under cover, but the size should give them away. =>

Avatar Image says:

I have lived in Washington, DC half my life and the second half in Falls Church, VA and worked at bookstores off and on for seven years. It was no surprise to me that Falls Church, VA won for the town, and that Washington, DC won for the state.

We have two very large Barnes and Nobles and two very large Border Book stores within 15 minutes of each other just in Falls Church, VA. Falls Church, VA is also six miles from Washington, DC – so we are in Northern VA, not the southern part of the state as some posters assume. And we are a melting pot – a United Nations of races, religions, and languages.

In the DC area (DC-MD-VA), we have a very electic readership. Adults buy just as many sci-fi fantasy books as they do current events and mystery. (Romance takes up about 45% of all fiction sales.)

Most people would come in and buy stacks of books each week to read on plane trips and on the mass transit ride to work. Families would come in and buy books to read for school assignments and sometimes for pleasure.

Our local bookstores do have midnight Harry Potter parties which are wild and wonderful.

I have always ordered my HP books online from Amazon and wait for the Fedex man to deliver them on the day of release.

I would love to get the chest they are selling with the purchase of all seven hardbacks. Like most people I have all the hardbacks and that chest would be the perfect ending to the story.

Be sure to come and visit our Nation’s Capital. All of our museums, galleries and zoo are free (no admission charge) with just a few private galleries (Doll and Toy Museum, National Museum of Women in the Arts) that have a cover charge.

Avatar Image says:

I’m from the real south, the deep south (Louisiana) and we don’t consider Virginia the south. LOL! All those must be politicians who don’t want to be seen in a bookstore buying Harry Potter. :) My state wasn’t last anyway. I’m sure we’re number 48 because we’re all going to the bookstore at midnight like I am. Ha. Anyway, I’m about as religious as they come and the only religious people in the south who don’t like Harry Potter are those too shallow to realize that fiction doesn’t equal reality. And I’ve never met a religious person who still dislikes HP after reading it.

Write a Reply or Comment