Harry Potter High Def DVD Box Set Due This Year

116

Jul 17, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

At the Home Media Expo in Las Vegas, Warner Brothers has now announced that a special five disc box set containing Blu-Ray high definition DVDs of the Harry Potter films will be released this year. While a specific release date was not given, VideoBusiness.com has some details of this set which include the following:

The Harry Potter set, priced at $119.97 standard-definition and $149.99 Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD, will hold the first five films including the most recent theatrical installment, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It represents the first time Warner has enhanced a Potter collection with exclusive memorabilia, which includes bookmarks and collectible trading cards.

No word on if these discs will include the bonus features found on previous individual discs, or if any new footage from the movies will be included. We will update with more when we can.

26 Responses to Harry Potter High Def DVD Box Set Due This Year

Avatar Image says:

I just hope that OOTP will come out on regular DVD. It would be unfair if they did not.

Avatar Image says:

YES! FINALLY!!! Now my HD DVD player can get some action.

Avatar Image says:

yeah I hope so too sarah. I have been buying teh DVDs separately upon release so this really doesn’t matter to me, really XD It is just another way for them to get more money I guess….

Avatar Image says:

OOTP will come out on regular DVD format, this is said in the article.

I actually have Goblet of Fire on HD DVD. It is the UK release. The picture is absolutely beautiful and There are so many extras: * 1080p/VC-1

Audio Formats

Supplements

• 8 Featurettes
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Theatrical Trailer

Exclusive HD Content

• HD In-Movie Experience

The featurettes are things such as: Harry vs. the Horntail (6min) In Too Deep (9min) The Maze (7min) Meet the Champions (13min) He Who Must Not Be Named (11min) Conversations with the cast (31min) Reflections on the Fourth Film (13 min) Preparing for the Yule Ball (9min)

The In-Movie Experience features James and Oliver Phelps, commentating on certain things (as well as instilling humor whenever they can).

Avatar Image says:

I figure they might be on regular DVD, but watch them include all of the special stuff on the HD DVDs instead of the regular DVDs. Most of their consumers do not have the high tech stuff. I guess we can hope.

Avatar Image says:

Expect a lot of extras on every disc, maybe not as much on the first or first two, but you won’t be disappointed.

You will get your money’s worth.

Hmm, time to upgrade to HD DVD sometime soon. Not that I have an HDTV

Avatar Image says:

Hi all I know this sounds like I’m dumb, but could someone explain what is the difference between HD DVD’s and the regular DVD’s. Is it just that you get a clearer picture or what? Thanks!

Avatar Image says:

think extended versions of all films, extended versions…...

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone know when will the fifth movie DVD come out?

Avatar Image says:

That is so cool it wait till ootp comes out high def that is aweome!

Ok what is High Def? lol

Avatar Image says:

I just cannot afford a HD DVD player right now and that is why I do not like this idea.

Avatar Image says:

Pff, HD-DVD… unless you’ve got the 10,000§ video and sound system to go with it it makes absolutely NO difference. And even then, IMO it’s not worth investing that much money in technology that will be outdated two years later (anyone remember the minidisc?).

I’m happy there’s going to be a normal DVD release- and hope they’ll include some nice extras. I for one am sticking to DVD until the HD/Blu Ray conflict is solved or the next tech fad comes along.

Avatar Image says:

Starlight’s totally wrong; it makes a huge deal of difference. I have a HD TV—it’s a few years old, not extremely expensive. My surround sound system is worth about $40 (yes, I need a new one) and I play HD-DVDs using the XBOX360 add on.

The first time I put in an HD movie I was AMAZED. It’s a whole new world.

Avatar Image says:

I probably won’t be able to afford the HD-DVD version. It’s kind of silly. I mean it’s the same movie, weither in HD or regular. Anyway, I noticed that who ever typed the article said that it will include all five including the newest installment. It said it like the first five have already been released and the newest one is the sixth. Sorry to seem hyper crticle, so don’t take it the wrong way, Sue!!! You still rock!!!

Avatar Image says:

Has anyone seen OOTP in IMAX. And is it worth going to see?

Avatar Image says:

I would love to buy this HD-DVD set, it wouldn’t be a bad Christmas gift to my self ;-)

btw, OOtP in IMAX ROCKS! (I wasn’t very impressed about the movie as a whole, but those final minutes in the ministry will rock your socks off!)

Avatar Image says:

Since there was a bit of news saying that there was going to be a new wave of Potter merchandising to coincide with the DVD release of OOTP in December, it should be safe to say that OOTP will be the first Potter film to be given a simultaneous release on DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray sometime during the first three weeks of December (I don’t think they’ll release it after Christmas, they’ll release it before to profit during the holiday season).

I half-expect the WB to release OOTP as a DVD/HD-DVD combo disc (considering they’ve done that with such hits like “Superman Returns” and “300”) to entice more fans to invest in HD-DVD. And I hope OOTP will get an actual commentary, not that HD-exclusive In-Movie Experience that GOF got.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to get the set on Blu-Ray, b/c the picture and sound is so much better than standard DVD. And I really hope they include an extended version of the films.

Avatar Image says:

jklemony, I saw “Order of the Phoenix” at the standard theater and IMAX theater, and the screen is much larger and the sound quality much clearer at the IMAX. IMAX lends you a pair of 3-D glasses for the last 20 minutes of the movie (no Harry Potter style specs!), and the 3-D effects were great—I felt as if I could reach over and pet a Thestral, or that I had to duck from the flying shards of glass in the Department of Mysteries! If you’re skeptical, you can always see the movie at the regular theater first, but seeing it at the IMAX is definitely worth the extra ticket fee, especially since this Harry Potter film is the first to have scenes converted into 3-D. I am glad there will be a HD DVD box set of the first five Harry Potter films and hope that they will all include the special features of the original DVDs, plus commentaries and extended film editions.

Avatar Image says:

“hope that they will all include the special features of the original DVDs, plus commentaries and extended film editions.”

YES TOTALLY!

off topic but two lovely intelligent articles about Dan Radcliffe. Wall Street Journal and Sunday Herald.

(Hobnobs and broomsticks, Craig McLean) http://www.sundayherald.com/life/people/display.var.1546220.0.0.php

(Portrait of the wizard as a young artist, Matthew Gurewitsch) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118462333858168009.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

I have emailed but I suspect TLC are thinking of other things at the moment!

Avatar Image says:

Well, HD DVDs are great I’m sure. I mean, I have a huge collection of regular DVDs and don’t plan to spend more money on a new player for another year or two, but I’m sure they’re great.

But, I hope they still have the extended versions on regular DVD format though, if they’re indeed including that. More special features would be quite nice. Less dumb games.

Avatar Image says: lavidjioAvatar Image says: Avatar Image says: