Emma Watson Profiled in New Article

283

Jul 02, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

A new interview with Emma Watson in The Sydney Morning Herald is online. In the extensive article which goes into detail on her style and fashion, Emma also discusses growing up on screen, acting with the likes of Maggie Smith and and how she feels about doing interviews. While the everyday dress may be somewhat different, Emma also talks about the similarities between herself and her character, Hermione Granger, saying:

“We’re both feminists, we’re both very stubborn, both very determined and quite loyal. If I have a friend then I stay through to the end.” (She maintains a tight group of friends from school and considers her two co-stars like brothers.) “Obviously I’m a bit geeky, a bit nerdy like she is, underneath it all – we both love school. I love to learn.”

Order of the Phoenix director David Yates is also the subject of a new article from the Witney Gazette, where he is profiled and speaks briefly about his next project: directing Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Emma Watson is also quoted in the article where she says of the first time Harry Potter director:

“The word I most connect with David is truth. He always wanted to find the truth in all the characters and in every single performance. We relished that. It stopped us getting complacent the fifth time around.

“It was really lovely because David listened to what we had to say about our characters. He was respectful of the fact that we have been playing these people for five films now.”

Thanks to all who emailed!

26 Responses to Emma Watson Profiled in New Article

Avatar Image says:

awesome! i just can’t wait for the movie.

Avatar Image says:

Emma is growing up to be a gorgeous, elegant young lady! It has been lovely watching her grow up on our screens – even though she thinks it is embarassing.

Avatar Image says:

I love the fact the young actors from the HP films are getting to speak more as themselves and be open about what they are really thinking. This is a good interview.

Nice. Very nice.

Avatar Image says:

er, since when has Hermione been a feminist?

Avatar Image says:

ummm did I miss something..Did Ron and Hermione kiss in HBP? I mean I’ve only read it 1 time and I was on a Harry/Ginny cloud of joy, but I thought I’d remember Ron and Hermione kissing!!!

As for Hermione being a feminist, I think she always has been. You know she’s like if you can do it I can. I don’t think Emma means bra burning feminist, I think she just means she doesn’t take anyones crap just because she’s a woman.

Avatar Image says:

Hermione, a feminist? OOC and AU, if I’ve ever seen one.

Avatar Image says:

Ashley, no, Hr and R didn’t kiss, they just sat in each others arms at the funeral. It wasn’t really an appropriate moment for them to start snogging! They might in DH though…

It’s a nice article, more different stuff than the usual. I like the bit when she said she’d be happy to answer any question and then realised the danger and started to backtrack!

There are a couple of other better-than-average interviews/press junket reports I’ve seen featuring the Trio that I don’t think have been posted on TLC yet Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/06/29/nosplit/bfpotter129.xml Popcorn http://www.popcorn.co.uk/page.asp?partid=554

also, off-topic I know, but the BEST interview I’ve seen so far- a very funny one with Dan featuring some VERY different (some adult) questions sent in by the public, Q Magazine (scans on danradcliffe.com).

Avatar Image says:

Hey, there’s a new about-1/2-hr French “behind the scenes” video that features the Trio, Bonnie, Evanna, Yates and other cast crew, it’s available at UHP here:

Avatar Image says:

“Hermione is a feminist with a small f, which is what Emma means I think. I mean, she jumped down Harry’s throat when he said the HBP had to be a man, accusing him of assuming that a woman couldn’t possibly be clever enough.”

I like that bit, Harry, just replys that how can he think that? When he has Hermione as a friend lol

Avatar Image says:

yes, I’m pretty sure ‘they’re’ all one person.

Cinderella- that is a really wicked behind the scenes video, the best I’ve seen. I like how it explains why the Grimmauld Place set is so narrow. I’m so looking forward to this film!

Avatar Image says:

wel emma certainly growin up…wel its good dat someone we love is gettin matured..but wats dis abt her gettin nude if story requires it?she shouldnt do dat..certainly not

Avatar Image says:

feminism: the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.

yes, hermione is a feminist. i’m sick of people thinking of feminists as… people like rosie o’donnell. i’m not even saying i don’t like rosie, but you don’t have to hate men to be a feminist.

even if the definition were stronger, did you guys miss the parts in hbp where hermione insisted that the half-blood prince is female? she is most definitely a feminist. probably more of one than emma watson.

Avatar Image says:

I couldn’t believe it when I saw the link to the Witney Gazette – it’s my local weekly newspaper!

I’ll have to keep an eye out for the article in the print version this week

Avatar Image says:

awesome interview! can’t wait to see if emma and rupert kiss in the hbp movie! ... what’s this stuff about having your first cigarette though?

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I can’t wait for the movie…...

Avatar Image says:

How could Rupert Grint now be her type?! lol =)

Avatar Image says:

umm ron and hermione don’t kiss in the 6th book, what is that reporter talking about?

Avatar Image says:

Hermione is NOT a feminist, because there’s nothing in JKR’s world to suggest that women are paid less or given less respect than men. We have two female founders for two male founders. There have been headmasters and mistresses of Hogwarts, two Heads of House of female/ two male, there have been female Ministers of Magic… JKR has gone to pains it seems to show that witches are considered just as powerful, bright, and even dangerous as wizards. Honestly, it’s only in our currently Grrl Power obsessed culture that the actress portraying Hermione could come to believe that Hermione is a feminist.

To use the one brief argument between Hermione and Harry in HBP as proof that Hermione is a feminist is torturing the data until it confesses. It’s more of a boys vs. girls moment, combined with Hermione being irrational in the way teenagers are often irrational, and Harry (correctly) calls her on it, seeing as he hasn’t EVER acted towards her as though he doubted her talents because she’s a girl. He (correctly) had an instictual feel that the writer was male.

Because men and women are different, after all. Different does NOT mean one is better than the other, it means different.

Avatar Image says:

They don’t kiss in HBP. The interviewer probably didn’t even read the book!

Verin,

I think most of us will agree that “feminist” is a muggle term. And speaking as one HP reader, I believe Hermione would be labeled a “feminist” by many in today’s muggle world.

As certain as you are that “Hermione is NOT a feminist”, this is one muggle who is equally certain that you are taking this way too seriously!

KB Prez

Avatar Image says:

Hermione’s muggle-born. She knows about this stuff!

Avatar Image says:

That is probably my favorite artical and photograph of her to date. She seems so down to earth and NORMAL! Unlike the spoiled ellite princesses we breed in Hollywood. I dont understand how Dan and Rupert dont blush when she’s around, she’s simply adorable.

Agreed 100%

Avatar Image says:

well obviously JK isn’t going to litter her books with feminist references; that would make them WAAAY too worthy and would put me off them completely, as much of modern overly-pc children’s fiction does!

But that doesn’t mean that characters can’t still be feminist in spirit. The boy v girl argument in HBP is exactly the ‘feminist’ type of response a girl with the beginnings of strong feelings on the subject of equality (as Hermione demonstrates with SPEW for example) would make. I used to jump down people’s throats in that very way myself at her age. The fact that Harry didn’t intend anything is beside the point.

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: She got her wish...

Write a Reply or Comment