What are the Deathly Hallows?

115

Jul 05, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

The seventh and final question Scholastic is asking in lead up to the July 21st publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has been released and voting is now open. Scholastic asked:

What Are the Deathly Hallows?

You are able to vote for one of these following choices:

• We’ll find out right away.
  • We’ll find out in the middle.
  • We’ll find out at the end.
  • You can vote your response to this question regarding the title of the final Harry Potter book on the Scholastic site, here.

With the final Harry Potter question having been released, you are now able to collect all seven of the bookmarks Scholastic has available

The previous questions asked by Scholastic, for which voting is now closed were:

• “Who will live and who will die?”
  • “Is Snape Good or Evil?”
  • “Will Hogwarts reopen?”
  • “Who ends up with whom?”
  • “Where are the Horcruxes?”
  • “Will Voldemort be defeated?”

• 40 Responses to What are the Deathly Hallows?

Horcruxes = Deathly Hallows

Thats a bogus question as I think we are already supposed to know what the deathly Hallows are…

I agree, Its_Just_Me.

Watch us get thrown for a loop, though. Jo has been known to bait-and-switch before.

Avatar Image says:

Hmph, yeah,, at this point everybody knows what the deathly hallows are…

Avatar Image says:

Scholastic could use to read their own books…

Avatar Image says:

I don’t necessarily think the DH’s are the Horcruxes… Of course I also think it was life-debt to James, not love for Lily that made Dumbledore believe Snape… It’s also too bad there wasn’t an option for “We’ll find out throughout the book.” I can’t wait to see what JK does with this book! -B

Avatar Image says:

What kind of a question is that? The answers don’t even go with it. “We’ll find out in the middle/right away/end?” Huh? It should give out options like “It is Beyond the Veil” “the horcruxes” etc.

Avatar Image says:

“but if you’ve read JKR’s alternate title for book seven then you know they have to be horcruxes.”

I did not think Jo released the alternate titles. She was going to wait until the release of DH before letting them be known.

Avatar Image says:

I know what the Deathly Hallows are, but I’m not going to tell you. Here is a clue to help you work it out though:

My first is in ‘chair’ but not in ‘table’ My second is in ‘orange’ but not in ‘potatoes’ My third is in ‘book’ but not in ‘spoon’ My fourth is in ‘window’ but not in ‘door’ My fifth is in ‘snake’ but not in ‘elephant’

....What am I?

Avatar Image says:

Well, i think it has got something to do with Godric’s Hollow…

Avatar Image says:

This is one of those marketing campaign questions that isn’t intended to do much of anything or have much meaning beyond stirring people up (particularly the press). They aren’t aimed at the average TLC follower.

As if we could expect to hear any questions that are particularly plot-revealing from the stance of any fan who’s theorized about what happens next.

Avatar Image says:

I said we will find out in the middle. Or could be the end?

Look at all the titles of the HP books. Soccssers (sp) stone was although the book but it was found at the end. Etc.Etc. So they will know and have to do something with it.

Avatar Image says:

There should be an option that reads “We already know” which I’d certainly vote for. Oh well, that’s the end of the silly questions anyway (oh another milestone that marks the END is near).

Avatar Image says:

Winky that’s not what I was referring to. Jo released a title “Harry Potter and the Relics of Death” for translators to use as the title of Book 7 because nobody knew how to translate “Deathly Hallows.”

Avatar Image says:

We already know what they are, except one. What we do not know is where and how they can be destroyed.

Throwing all of them behind the veil is a very easy solution. Destroying them one at a time is a very risky solution, as Dumbledore has proven.

We wil be entertained by Jo following the adventures of Harry and the deathly hallows.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I saw this post and thought that the answer was going to be posted online! I was getting all giddy! Of course, I think its the horcruxes but who knows?

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, the deathly hallows have to be horcruxes. i have no idea, really. everything that we think could be totally wrong, who knows. when will we find out though?

Well, we found out about the sorcerors stone in the end. We found out what the chamber was in the middle. We found out that sirius was the prisoner of azkaban in the beginning but didn’t find out that he was his godfather until the middle and found out that he was good in the end. we found out what the goblet of fire was in the beginning. we found out what the order of the pheonix was in the beginning. we found out the half blood prince was snape at the end.

So frankly, we’re just gonna find out what the deathly hallows are whenever we find out. i think people are getting too carried away with this little guessing game. We all want to know what happens but thats why the book was written and we’ll find out when the book comes out. (i cant wait though ;D )

Avatar Image says:

Why does relics of death necessarily spell horcruxes?? Can’t believe everyone is so sure.

Avatar Image says:

omggggg just over 2 weeks left!!!!!!!!!!! im so sad tho….

Avatar Image says:

I think it has a lot to do with the final battle between Harry and LV after all the horcruxes are destroyed and they are figting each other at Godric’s Hollow

Serge Gingras,

But it’s not just destroying them that has proved dangerous. Even getting to the fake locket was deadly.

I can’t believe how fast the time has gone! Movie ticket purchased for weekend after this, book reading the next….

Sad and exciting all at the same time!

Avatar Image says:

Winky, JO did release two alternative titles. Bloomsbury confirmed it. Potential spoiler-

“Harry Potter and the relics of death.”

I have heard something about a 7 line poem but you dont believe everything you read!

Avatar Image says:

that was a very silly question, the answers don’t even match it. Yeah, I can’t believe we’re almost at the end. I’ve been reading HP for 6 years now & don’t know what I’ll do after it’s over. I’ll surely also miss dear Leaky :(

Avatar Image says:

The only thing is, if they gave us options for voting such as ‘beyond the veil’, ‘horcruxes’, etc. that would give too much away. Even though we wouldn’t know what the deathly hallows are from just 4 or 5 choices, we would then at least have a strong idea because it would have to be one of those, and that’s just giving too much away. :p

Avatar Image says:

Well, jo did give the alternative title of relics of death as was confirmed by her literary Agent and bloomsbury, so we do have a very clear idea of what the deathly hallows are, and anyone who has taken the time to read up the hallows legends figured it out back in december when we got the title anyways.

is it just me or they choose this kind of poll because actually listing options for what the deathly hallows are would be a major spoiler?

Avatar Image says:

cries hysterically.....the seventh and final question for the seventh and final book, oh it really is going to END….cries summore...regains composure...well its obvious the deathly hallows are horcruxes, but i believe theres more to it, i mean why would she call them deathly hallows specifically? She could have said ’...and the horcruxes..’, etc, so you know, maybe there is a bit more to it…blows nose on kleenex

Avatar Image says:

that’s a pretty pointless question… the answers don’t really make a lotta sense… a better question would have been “When will we find out what Deathly Hallows are?” though it still isn’t a good question!

Avatar Image says:

I agree, christianaeg, it really is a pointless question. Anyone who has seen the adult cover knows that Horcruxes (at least, Slytherin’s locket) are the Deathly Hallows.

Avatar Image says:

OK, I can get to the question – and agree, that this one’s the lamest one yet – but the bookmark still says “Coming soon” – or is my lame-here-at-work browser missing something?

Avatar Image says:

The Q and the As don’t even go together as people have already mentioned. I was under the impression that a book publishing company was coming up with these. Obviously, a non-native English person wrote this if they can’t tell the difference between “what” and “when” or when to use them. Maybe it’s a subtle clue along with the book covers that we’re going to be traveling over more than just Britian to find the horcruxes. Or maybe it means they had another question and switched it at the last moment but didnt erase everything from before and didnt double check their work, or maybe they simply have never tooken no grammar lesson at all.

Avatar Image says:

The deathly hallows are the relics of death.

But the relics of death are not the Horcruxes. They are the Founders’ relics that were made into Horcruxes. Assuming Voldemort didn’t get Gryffindor’s sword, there’s a difference—because then one of the Horcruxes is not a deathly hallow, and one of the hallows is neither deathly nor a Horcrux.

That’s what I think, anyway. We’ll see in 16 days.

Avatar Image says:

I was just thinking about the words Relics of Death and horcruxes…and I don’t think they have to be the same thing necessarily. I mean, they are the reason Voldemort is still breathing, right? So in a way, horcruxes give life. Yet at the same time, he had to take life to make one. Although maybe it’s talking about a different kind of death. The death of his soul. He practically killed his soul to stay ‘alive’. Why in the world would any person do that? Killed his heart to keep his blood pumping. Almost like somebody a dementer had started kissing/soul eating but left halfway through to eat a more delicious soul, except that his soul isn’t in a dementer’s stomach (or wherever souls they’ve taken go), it’s in a safe/storage called a horcrux for safe keeping.

Getting back to my original topic, I think maybe Relics of Death/Deathly Hallows might be items that can be used to kill a horcrux, or kill the soul inside and make the object inanimate again (de-horcruxing it). For example, thant would mean a basilisk fang would be one. If so, what did Dumbledore use? Or did he just try to use his own strengh (a wand) and that’s why his hand, his wand hand, was injured? Maybe you need a powerful magical thing such as a basilisk fang, dragon’s blood/fang/skin, unicorn hair/horn, etc. to absorb or dissolve it, whatever. Does anybody follow this? What do you guys think?

Avatar Image says:

oh i sure hope she throws us for a loop!! i will be really sad if everything is really obhvious… and we’ve guessed it all already… :(

Avatar Image says:

The deathly hallows are the relics of death, yes. But what are the relics of death? A horcrux keeps a person alive, thus it can not be a relic if death, right? How about a body? A corpse can be a relic of death and where do corpses reside? A graveyard. I think that the deathly hallows are the graveyards at Godric’s Hollow and Hogwarts.

FYI:

the Dutch translation for Hallows is Relics (The book is called: Harry Potter en de Dodelijke Relikwieën – Harry Potter and the Deathly Relics). So my view is that the hallows are, in fact, the horcruxes…

Avatar Image says:

What I can’t wait to know is why they registered other 2 names that involded the word Hallows, and also Hogwarts. Are these relics in Hogwats or it is because they are objets the founders possessed?

Avatar Image says:

“Hmph, yeah,, at this point everybody knows what the deathly hallows are…”

Or do we???

Avatar Image says:

You know, looking at all the questions that scholastic posted, I would say that this was singly the biggest waste of time ever in the HP universe. I think that these questions did absolutely nothing to help sales of the book (which really didn’t need help :-) ) Those of us who are on the forums have been asking these questions since the title of book 7 came out. Oh well, we will know all the answers (hopefully) in 14 days…god I cant wait!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I think that the deathly hallows are the horcruxes because the alternate title (the relics of death)kind of suggests it because you must kill to make a horcrux but knowing JK there’s probrably a twist that we can’t see.A better question would be who is RAB,how does he know about the horcruxes,has he destroyed the horcrux and is he still alive?

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: Harry's cloak, DD's wand, and the stone in Gaunt's ring...

Write a Reply or Comment