Security Measures High in Australia for “Deathly Hallows” Release

112

Jul 08, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Australian newspaper, The Age, has an interesting article online where it talks about the security measures put into place to guard the last Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and one of the high security locations where the is being printed. Andrew Hawkins, publicity director for Allen and Unwin, the Australian publisher, is quoted briefly in the article, simply saying: “Secrecy is the operative word; I can’t disclose anything.” Booksellers must sign legal documents so nothing gets revealed before it should, all to protect and preserve the moment for fans to experience, the feeling of a world wide release. One person who will not be able to experience the 9:01am Australian release as the other fans in the country, will be bookstore co-owner Chris Harrington, who will be working very hard the day of July 21st. He says of the whole experience:

“I’ve been in the business for 36 years and I haven’t seen anything like this global publishing event… It’s all part of the theatre,” he said. “You go with the spirit of it.”

“Everyone is as excited as I am,” he says. “Everywhere you look, the whole town will be quiet and people will be reading the book.”

14 Responses to Security Measures High in Australia for “Deathly Hallows” Release

Avatar Image says:

well the situation is going to be same in india as well…..i have ordered my book online and will be getting it on the same day…....no college that day…....finishing on the same day or may be the whole sunday reading it teicew to absorb it totally

Avatar Image says:

Reading things like this makes me anxiously await the book release! I’m glad that secure measures are being taken so no spoilers get out. I’d die if something was spoiled for me.

Avatar Image says:

Do Aussies not get a midnight release?

Nope… Aussies get it at a decent hour… 9.01 am

Avatar Image says:

no, in Sydney Australia we can open our books at 9:01am its exact moment every1 else does, its just the time differance…

Avatar Image says:

I can’t make the link work, can you? (And yes, I have tried to save it instead of opening it)

A crisis almost broke out in Denmark when the last book was published. Som eof the stores had forgotten about the timedifference (1 hour ahead) and almost released the book to soon. An emergency phonecall to the english publishers cleared up the mistake. But fans where rather disapointed, as they had to stand in line for a hole hour more.

Avatar Image says:

wow… im so excited with this book… i wonder when the books release in my country (indonesia).......^^ in indonesian language ofcourse..hehehehehe

Avatar Image says:

I am excited about all of the precautions that are being taken by the publishers & the booksellers. I am all about protecting my moment. I didnt get hooked until around the release of the 6th book…and by then, no one was spoiling the older books. It was all pristine for me. Gloriously pristine…

My concern is the wait in line. I don’t want to be waiting in line & have some end-of-the-book-reading idiot 30 people in front of me start yelling out spoilers. (Seriously, there is a story about a car driving by a book store with people waiting in line & some jerk screams out “#$#$#$# dies!” I just know that I will end up in prison for assault if that happens to me. (Must invest in earplugs.)

Avatar Image says:

This is making me so EXCITED!!! And they talked to the owner of Books In Print which is where I’ve ordered my copy!!!

Avatar Image says:

Actually, I think in Australia, we get it a few hours earlier than those in the US. We get it at 9.01am which is 12.01am in Britain, but I think the US have to wait until midnight local time, which occurs a few hours later. Maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, I’m right, Americans can get their hands on the book at midnight local time, so people on the east coast will get theirs first before the other US time zones, but Australians will get theirs at the same time at midnight in Britain, which is about 5 hours before those of the east coast of the US.

Avatar Image says:

Because I live in Western Australia, I get it at 7:01am. But, as said before, it’s all the same time, because of the difference.

Avatar Image says:

I now have lots of faith in all security put in place and that they really need to keep that moment magical for us. I’m extremely happy right now. :-D

But wow. Read this heh. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml;jsessionid=ISKHIFEDI53IVQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/arts/2007/07/09/nosplit/nfpotter109.xml&DCMP=ILC-traffdrv07053100

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: Hah! That is soooo funny...

Write a Reply or Comment