Rumor Alert: Possible Casting for Young Voldemort in “Half-Blood Prince”

114

Sep 11, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Official casting news continues to be scarce as we draw closer to the anticipated start of filming for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film in a few weeks, but now we have a rumor tonight regarding a possible candidate for the role of young Tom Riddle. An article in the new issue of “Teen Vogue” magazine features a young actor by the name of Jamie Campbell Bower, and mentions that the actor “has his fingers crossed” he will play the role of young Voldemort. You can see a scan of this article here courtesy of HarryPotterla. Please note, this mention does not confirm the actor has the part, but it is the first name we have heard in conjunction for this role as readers will remember there was an open casting call for the part of young Tom Riddle earlier this summer in London. Jamie Campbell Bower will be seen later this fall in the highly-anticipated film “Sweeney Todd,” which features several actors from the Harry Potter films including Alan Rickman (Severus Snape), Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange) and Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew).

As always with these reports, please keep them in the rumor category until we receive official confirmation from Warner Brothers.

Thanks to HarryPotterla

42 Responses to Rumor Alert: Possible Casting for Young Voldemort in “Half-Blood Prince”

Avatar Image says:

Hmm. I wouldn’t mind having an experienced actor play the part.

I’m more interested in finding out which flashback scenes will be included, and which won’t. This book has to be extremely difficult to adapt.

Avatar Image says:

I’m still wondering why they don;t get Christian Coulson back… If he wasn’t too old in CoS, is he really too old in HBP? I mean, has he noticeably aged in the last four years or something? Baka…

Avatar Image says:

Fenm, I thought of that too – my best guess is that he may not be interested anymore. At the time, the writers didn’t necessarily know they’d need him back – heck, Jo herself may not have! (Although I think she probably did, but we know she’s changed a lot of significant things since 2002.) And anyway, he may now look too old for the part – five years can do a lot.

Of course, it hasn’t been said for certain that he isn’t going to be in it!

Avatar Image says:

Author by Night- Yates has officially confirmed that Coulson will NOT be back. It was a month or so ago that he said it.

Avatar Image says:

Author By Night, Christian Coulson has actually expressed interest in coming back. It’s David Yates who has said he can’t come back because he is too old, leading me to think that they won’t be showing Tom Riddle any older than 16 or so.

Regardless, Christian will always be how I picture young Voldemort because he was so incredibly perfect in COS.

Avatar Image says:

well i hope they get someone equally evil looking, but it is a shame the same guy can’t play it,i agree,.. but the lament has been sung, i just hope they fit the important stuff in. im going to miss dumbledore though. but they will need different actor’s for the young and younger tom won’t they?

Avatar Image says:

Honestly I would rather have an older-looking Coulson than a new person. I’ve seen more recent pictures and he does not look too old to play the part. I just don’t understand what Yates has against him really. None of the characters really look the ages they’re supposed to be. Makeup, wigs and special effects can do a lot. Besides, depending on what scenes they’re keeping in and/or how the scenes will be re-written. Most of the scenes for that aged Tom Riddle happen when he has already left Hogwarts and is an adult.

I know I’m bitter and of course I’ll give whoever the new person is a chance, it’s just in my head he’ll always be Tom Riddle and I just wish I could have seen how he would have performed those scenes.

Avatar Image says:

I know this is probably off topic but WHO IS GOING TO PLAY LAVENDER BROWN I want to find that right now, WARNER BROTHERS why are you taking so LONG, I CAN´T WAIT ANY LONGER….. :( with that said, I do not think this guy looks like young riddle, he is probably really talented but I would like to see a clon of Christian Coulson for the part….. he is an amazing actor.

Avatar Image says:

Thats going to be interesting to see if he gets it! I want to know which flashbacks they will include! Good luck!

Avatar Image says:

At first I was like, is that a girl? I guess not. it sucks about the lack of casting news, its really slow this time around! :/

Avatar Image says:

i can see him doing it…. he’d look ok for it… id love to see Christian Coulson back… he was SO FREAKING PERFECT!!!! but he is a lil old now… so boo

AHHHHHHHH!!!!! so many good actors in “Sweeney Todd”!!!!! all of those HP people, plus johnny depp!!!!???? i cant handle it!!! faints

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

I wish they would bring back Christian Coulson as well, regardless of how old he looks…come on, continuity! The only reason we have a different Dumbeldore, is because Richard Harris passed away unexpectedly – otherwise, all other characters have been the same through the movies!!

Avatar Image says:

I totally agree…. Christian could be perfect… he doesn’t look 29 years old. Some days ago I read an interview with him and he told that he would like to play Tom again. He read the books and etc. Probably is he very dissapinted now. As me.

That actor (a potentially candidate for Tom)... he seems like a girl! He would be perfect for Lavender, not for Tom :DDD

Avatar Image says:

If they are going to show an 11 year old Riddle, yes get a different actor but recasting the older teenage Riddle makes no sense. Unfortunately once the Producer allows one director to mess around with continuity then every new director can simply ignore previous movies.

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t mind a new Tom Riddle? Coulson was not very intimidating, and I was not really impressed with any of his deliveries. I think the role requires a lot of subtlety especially for a Riddle at such a young age. I’m glad Yates is doing a wide search for the new Tom because he did a fantastic job of finding Luna. I’m also sure that Yates wants a little more control over who is casted. He probably wants the very best actor he can find, since performances mean so much to him. Plus I agree with him that Coulson (who is nearly 30!) wouldn’t be ideal to have playing a 16/17-year-old, especially since the trio are supposed to be 16/17 too and if they don’t look the same age it will be really obvious.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t understand how Christian could be too old when (can’t think of her name) that played Mrtyle was like 22 at the time of CoS.

BTW, the reason he looks strange in this pic is because it’s out of a TeenVouge magazine and they never look normal in photoshoots for TeenVogue.

Avatar Image says:

I just looked at the only picture IMDB has, and I think he’s way too girly. It could just be the picture, but it just doesn’t work for me. If he is going to be Tom, maybe once he’s in wardrobe and makeup, it’ll be better…one can only hope…

Avatar Image says:

I know that Yates is in charge, and my opinion doesn’t make any difference, but…. for my money, I think having Christian play Riddle with the H. Smith flashback, or the asking for the DADA job would be just brilliant. He is not too old for that, and the way it would tie the movies together would be phenomenal!

Avatar Image says:

I wasn’t a huge fan of the original Riddle,it was a bit too hamdram for me,that whole scene was one of the cheesiest of the whole movie series.

At the end of the day,none of us are going to be able to make the decision,so we just have to hope that whoever gets the part does a fantastic job of it.

Avatar Image says:

I agree—just get Coulson back! I would be satisfied even if he were only in the scenes with the post-Hogwarts Riddle, as Katarina suggested. All I can figure is that Yates must have thought he was sub-par in CoS, because no one can tell me they can’t get him to look the part. I like Yates and all, but I can’t stand messing up continuity!

Avatar Image says:

well I have never heard of Jamie Campbell Bower so I needed Gooogle to find a picture of him here:

And I sooner would cast him as Draco Malfoy or even Blaise Zabine ( some smink job to be done) the as Young Voldy. Nice and pretty lad, but far too much a sugarpie to play mean horrible Voldemort. I wonder what Coulson even has done to mr Yates, that Yates dislikes him as Riddle. Seeing what he has done with OotP I think we will be presented wit a new kind of game:

“Spot the seven points that look remotely like the books, (names don’t count)

Avatar Image says:

Honestly, I know Yates said it has to do with his age, but maybe he just doesn’t want him for the part. I think I’m one of the few people that didn’t like Coulson. I’m all for continuity, but he just wasn’t that good in CoS. I want an actor who can be charming, but still be able to show there is something not right with him when you look in his eyes.

Someone mentioned Myrtle: Shirley Henderson plays Mrytle, and she’s 41.

GUH.

He certainly looks the part.

nice glitter O_O

Avatar Image says:

I really don’t care about who’s playing Tom anymore. I wanted Christian back… but NO, apparently he’s to old now. The only thing i really care about right know is who’s playing Narcissa!

Avatar Image says:

Someone mentioned Myrtle: Shirley Henderson plays Mrytle, and she’s 41.

Posted by mollywobble on September 11

and wasn’t she fabulous!!!!??? Hope she will be back in the Sectusempra scene.

Avatar Image says:

He could probably still play the 20-year old riddle, but he’s just to old to play the 16-year old riddle. especially because harry is 16 years as well in hbp. He’s gonna have to look just as old as dan radciff. I never found coulson a really inspired choice anyway, don’t know why. He played the role well.

Avatar Image says:

thank god i get this magazine in the mail :D he’s really good-looking, but doesn’t seem to be the right Riddle

Avatar Image says:

Oh what a train wreck in the making. Sigh, I’ll try not to hiss whenever the fake Riddle comes on screen, and not because it’s Voldemort, but because it’s not the real Riddle, our man Coulson.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, you sure have got a flair for the dramatic chrysanthemum, Don’t judge in him so early on. He IS in sweeney todd afterall, so he must be good. And I don’t really think that picture of him in that mag is how he’s going to look in the film, don’t worry. I was never to fond of Coulson anyway. He just seemed to… I dont know… english. I know that sounds stupid, because the films are brittish and I love that (way better than american), but he just reminded me to much of prince charles actually.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, I just checked the links that helena123 posted-and if that last one is James Campbell Bower, then I’m okay with him being cast as young Voldemort. I could see it-though, I do like Coulson. I thought he was smooth enough! Maybe I’ll just have to watch the movie again tonight to be sure…

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry, but I’m not judging this young mans acting ability in the slightest. I am judging the casting decision to recast the role, when it was already well cast, simply because the director thinks he is too old, or as someone here suggested he wants to craft really specific performances. No matter whom they cast, it’s still not Coulson, so for me, it will never be Riddle. It will seem like a jigsaw puzzle with one piece that you lost so you cut out another piece yourself from a scrap of plywood to fit in. It more or less fits but it’s jarring, obvious, and no longer has than seamless polish it once had. If you went to school and then one day someone else arrived using your name but their face, would your friends simply shrug and accept that this stranger was you? Of course not. Neither will this young actor be the real Riddle.

Avatar Image says:

The first young Voldemort in COS did a phenominal job. You could see his intertwined emotions so easily. I understand age issues, but come on….we’ve seen many actors and actresses play a role that requires aging. Anyhoo, whomever they pick better be ready to play a very difficult role! OH, Im psyched for HBP!!!!

Avatar Image says:

They need an actor who can play Riddle not just at 16 but also at about 19 or so and about 30, ie Coulson’s age. And then 11 year old R is another problem. I suppose Ralph can be the 30 year old V since he’s sort of changed his appearance by that time?

I would have thought keep Coulson for the older ones and get an 11 year old for the very young Riddle. It’s not that I especially loved Coulson in CoS but more that I do like a bit of continuity. Anyway I won’t judge the newcomer til I’ve seen him.

But what are they going to do about that young R scene?? I think it’s one of the most important scenes because it shows that he was already cruel at that age and that age also links with the hiding place of the locket horcrux.

Avatar Image says:

The Deathly Hallow’s Voldemort will be Ralph Fiennes, I hope so!

Avatar Image says:

So I don’t have a very good handle on posting here…below is how I meant for my comment to look: “Okay, I just checked the links that helena123 posted, and if that last one is James Campbell Bower, then I’m okay with him being cast as young Voldemort. I could see it…though, I do like Coulson. I thought he was smooth enough! Maybe I’ll just have to watch the movie again tonight to be sure…”

Oh well, hopefully whatever they decide will be good…surely, we’ll see the Dursleys – I’m looking forward to seeing them get told off by Dumbledore!

Avatar Image says:

I really don’t get it! I mean, I seriously didn’t see any white beard on Christian’s face lately, then why wouldn’t they HAVE HIM BACK?? I mean, i’m sure you’ll agree that in CoS, he looked absolutely Young Voldy should look like, right? And since we’ve adapted ourselves into considering him as Tom, I just don’t see the point of suddenly replacing him with someone else! I can just picture the movie right now, the new actor would never be able to put up the expressions that CC made! Let alone even mimick him! There we’ll be, sitting in the theatre, watching the new Tom which would constantly remind us of the old one and how much we’d miss him! I don’t know whether you guys agree to this or not, but, people’s face don’t change that drastically within just two films. The face is Christian for CoS, and then Tom undergoes Plastic Surgery and in comes the new guy Tom for HBP, geting my point? And that’s ALL I wanted to say, Thank You.

Coulson cant play an 11 year old boy. sorry

Avatar Image says:

I was talking about teen Tom and Tom after leaving Hogwarts,thanks. I just want Coulson back!

Avatar Image says:

djm19 – neither can a 16 year old. Which looks like they’re cutting that scene out completely. And a 16 year old will have a hard job playing a 30 year old (they could have Ralph do that scene). But Coulson could play a 16/19/30 year old. Then they could just have cast an 11 year old for young Riddle.

Avatar Image says:

Again like many have already said, I have nothing against this young man but changing the face of Riddle is like coming home and having some new guy claiming to be your father. Is just hard to grasp. Coulson was good or not is somewhat irrelevant, I personally think he was great. It is still hard watching Dumbledore because somehow Michael Gambon, who is a great actor, is not Dumbledore. When I think of Dumbledore I always thing of Richard Harris. That will be the same thing if Riddle is change, Coulson is Riddle that is in our minds and I’m sure even those that didn’t like his preformance will always picture him as Riddle regardless of how well anyone else plays the part.

Avatar Image says:

I loved the way Yates incorporated aspects of the earlier films in OOTP, but I really wish he’d bring Christian Coulson back…Now we’ll have the face from SS, Couldon, Fiennes and now….two new TR/LV, child and young adult. Come on! Coulson is extremely young-looking – he could play the Slughorn memory scene, the Hufflepuff cup scene and the one with Dumbledore where he asks for the DADA job…As someone else noted, the actor who plays Myrtle is in her 30s…

Avatar Image says:

Does anybody know what is Christian’s opinion about this story? There’s no news about him on the net. I realy would like to hear his opinion… :>

Write a Reply or Comment