112

Jan 03, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is currently in production with David Yates at the helm of the film, rumors continue to swirl over who will direct the final Harry Potter film that is set to be released sometime in 2010. One of the directors mentioned more of late is Guillermo Del Toro, who talks again about the possibility of directing films such as “The Hobbit,” and notably “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” Echoing comments made last October, in a new interview with MTV Mr. Del Toro says again that he is “definitely interested” in directing the final Harry Potter film. He says he enjoys the darker tone of the recent movies, noting after his friend Alfonso Cuaron directed Prisoner of Azkaban, the movies have “evolved greatly into a very nice universe to play at (in).” He also says positively several times how “Dickensian” he feels the Harry Potter series is, and stated he felt the last line of “Deathly Hallows” was a “beautiful, subdued way” to end the book, and was “very moving.” You can watch this interview with Guillermo Del Toro via this link.

233 Responses to Del Toro Talks Again on Possibly Directing “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

I really hope Guillermo is talking about Harry wanting a sandwhich.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve watched his work (Pan’s Labyrinth) and I think it is definitely one of the best fantasy film ever. I truly hope he get to direct DH.

Avatar Image says:

I just got Pan’s Labyrinth for Christmas, and it was absolutely breathtaking. I think he’d do well with DH, but I don’t think he could make it the best movie it could be. Granted, I’d rather have Guillermo direct it more than Alfonso Cuaron, but I don’t know if he could do it. Gosh, 2010… So close, yet so far away…

Avatar Image says:

Well, I’m not so sure about “Hell Boy”, but “Pan’s Labyrinth” is fantastic. However, I think it’d be pretty fabulous if Alfonso Cuaron came back for the last one! We can only hope . . . Although I think David Yates also did a very good, very commendable job with OotP. (Right up there with PoA)

Avatar Image says:

I think he was refering to the all was well line. And I have to agree with him.

Avatar Image says:

As long they don’t get Alfonso Cuaron…gosh, he ruined PoA. Siriusly (or seriously), PoA is hard to watch. I feel like it was so off the mark. I haven’t seen any of this guy’s work, but if he is friends with Cuaron…I just hope they don’t have similar directing philosophies. Well, I guess they’ll pick who they pick and they really don’t care what I think, but they need to get the right person to direct DH. It needs to be perfect.

And I really hope that either he or Cuaron will be the new director. _

Avatar Image says:

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I agree with Holly. PoA was horrible. Cuaron was so “artistic” and “dark” he fell short of delivering key points (why Harry’s Patronus is a stag, the connection w/ the Marauder’s Map). If Cuaron or his buddy Del Toro direct it’ll be unsatisfying to every fan out there. No chances should be taken with DH, Yates is doing a phenomenal job and should be kept on to direct the final installment.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with B.C. Give Mr Yates a chance. He did an excellent job, on OTP, and I am willing to bet he’s going to do a great job, again, on HBP! He’s got the “tone” of the of the ‘Order’, and will probably continue the tone, to the end. Also, PoA SUCKED! As is usually the case, in most adaptations: “The book was better”. Again….the books are the books and the movies are the movies. But it does help if the movie is at least watchable! Yates has proved he can do it. I hope he stays…JMHO

Avatar Image says:

Really? Yates is doing a “phenomenal” job? I beg to differ. While OOTP was good, it wasn’t great. I just felt like it laked all kind of heart and feeling. Some of the shots are beautiful, like the sweeping beginning as we close in on Harry from above in the playground, but other things were drastically off and completely lifeless. I feel the only director who has gotten Michael Gambon to portray Dumbledore as correctly as it is possible for him to portray Dumbledore was Curon.

Now, Yates did successfully make a book I found utterly unreadable actually entertaining (OOTP is an awful book) but beyond that, it just felt so cold. I credit him with well executed fight scenes and a pretty good Ministry of Magic, but beyond that, I’m completely unimpressed with what he got out of his actors and angle of shots. What he does with HBP remains to be seen, and I really hope he does a better job.

And I’m completely for Del Toro. If he can make Deathly Hallows convey as much emotion and realistic magic as “Pan’s Labyrinth” did (which, knowing the original material, should be easy since the novel was fantastic) then there honestly should be no one else.

Avatar Image says:

As some people have already mentioned, “Pan Labyrinth” is visually stunning, but it also made some pretty mundane things seem fascinating . I’m trying to imagine how all the camping will be presented. I assume they will cut a lot of it out for time and our sanity, but there are parts they have to keep like the effects of the locket and Ron leaving and coming back. I think Del Toro will be able to show the monotony and hopelessness in a interesting (for the viewer at least) way.

Avatar Image says:

” Pan’s Labyrith” was a great [!]combination of reality and fantasy , and I think del Torro could do a wondeful job with DH. He isn’t Cuaron-—thank goodness[!] ,didn’t care much for POA either,I can barely watch it—his style is different.But IF he [Torro] is chosen I want be upset.

[[[ I loved Yates work for OOTP and don’t blame him for the omissions, there are so many variables to putting the film together.Looking forward to HBP so much ]]

Avatar Image says:

I don’t really want him to direct the hobbit or potter 7. But if he does do one of those films, it had better be harry potter. I don’t really mind who does Potter 7 much, as long as it’s not Cuaron. Yes, film 3 was quite a good film, but Alfonso’s films are too “arty-farty” and he doesn’t appreciated the importance of a good storyline.

Avatar Image says:

I think the best Potter director so far has been Yates.

Avatar Image says:

Honestly, I am not a huge fan of Del Toro’s current films, but if it means him or say…Chris Columbus?! Then Yes, Del Toro is very much welcome to me. Of course, I really, really, really wish Cuaron would come back. PoA still remains my favorite HP film. Yates is OK…I love some things he does, but I also hate some aspects of what he has done. I do NOT like Newell. Sorry. I thought GoF was awful! The first two…well they speak for themselves! Bring back Cuaron!!!

<<>>

No. Only to “purists”/Columbus loyalists like yourself. I actually WANT a dark, artistic Harry Potter movie. I hate it when Cuaron haters assume they’re the only REAL fans. What about HP fans who LOVE Cuaron’s work? They’re not true fans?

Avatar Image says:

I agree, Irvin. It’s important to realize that the movies will never be the books. I feel that it’s more important to capture on screen the feeling that the books give as you read them and I feel that PoA has done this the best. I understand why some people don’t like it (it does cut out some important information) but it arguably the most “accurate” film in terms of mood. Visually, it is the most stimulating which is also very important (otherwise you’re better off popping in an Audio Book). I liked Cuarón and I feel he or Del Toro would do a fantastic job on DH.

Avatar Image says:

I do not dislike Cuaron , I think him an excellent director. I just didn’t like what he did with POA. And there are two points of view on his work on POA and fans who feel both ways —love it or do not like it -—but have the right to each ponit of view.Most of us are also fans of the films and have different views ,of each of the films [and directors ]that should be respected.

Avatar Image says:

I think it we’ll be a very good thing if either Cuaron or Del Toro directs the last movie because they are both very good directors !

Avatar Image says:

I would have to say i agree with DEL Toro. DH has to be the best movie of them all. Harry must go out with a bang. The fight at the ministries of magic was good but the final battle in DH must be a theatrical masterpiece. Note to Warner Brothers spare no expense on DH because will break boxoffice records no doubt :)

Avatar Image says:

having guillermo is gonna be just like cuaron. i dunno if i could take that for the FINAL film. no weird settngs. no dark stuff. no enigmatic undertones. JUST KICK BUTT ACTION!!!!! and stop moving hagrid’s hut, please.

Avatar Image says:

Del Toro is simply campaigning for the job (he, like MANY other directors, would give their left arm to direct movie 7). The same way he’s doing for the Hobbit. The same way that Alfonso Cuaron did a few months back. PoA is the ONE movie (although I do like it) that has a very very different feel than all of the other movies. My feeling is that if David Yates does as great of a job on the 6th movie that he did on the 5th, they’ll HAVE to select him to do movie 7. You want a consistent approach, especially considering that JKR herself said that book 6 and 7 are themselves just two parts in one big final story. If they got a new director for movie 7, that’d be very very risky.

Avatar Image says:

I really want to see John William for the soundtrack of the last movie because he made a wonderful job on PoA.

Currently Cuaron and Yates are the best director of the HP movies. Their movies are working independently of the books. Of course there are still some parts of the story missing, but I think we can hope for an extented version of Ootp.

Newell made a average job but his movie is good because the book is good that’s all.

On the contrary the two Columbus movies are kind of bad, he was a free risk director for the Warner. Yes the complete story is present but the “ambiance”, the spirit of the books is not.

I’ll be very happy to see Cuaron or Del Toro behind book 7 because they are trully good director with their own artistic visions.

Avatar Image says:

Cuaron was the best HP director. Let’s assume it, if he didn’t do what he did, nobody (talking about directors) would pay attention to Potter. He’s the one who made Potter look cool and desirable. As a franchise to direct, of course.

Avatar Image says:

i will be overjoyed if he directs this movie! i thought cuaron’s film was the absolute best of the five thus far and since their styles are so similar i’d be so happy with either of them. they understand something deeper about the story and what they leave out is perfect.

Avatar Image says:

I was just thinking about DH last night and this morning….I’m trying to figure out what they might cut out but it’s hard because everything was so crucial. I haven’t seen Pan’s Labyrinth but it looks good. I dunno…I don’t think Del Toro is a bad choice but he probably isn’t the best.

Avatar Image says:

Right now, I’m not too keen on ‘trying out’ another director on the most important final 7th movie- and I don’t think WB is either. So I think it’ll probably be Yates or Cuaron for DH, which would be totally fine with me. I think I’d rather have Yates, but, I enjoyed POA too, so I wouldn’t really mind Cuaron. But, if in the end it happens to be Del Toro, I’ll keep faith, and wait to see what he produces- it could be great. :)

Avatar Image says:

I really hope this doesn’t happen!! OotP was the best movie of the series so far, and I don’t blame them for cutting a bit out of the book. Even Jo herself said she’d trim the book down. The movie was visually stunning, and the creative liberties taken were minimal and not too terrible. I would absolutely love to see Yates finish off the series, I don’t think any other director would do it justice. As to Cuaron, PoA is my least favorite movie by far. He made it into an art film. While it was visually nice, he took WAY too many liberties with the book. Shrunken heads? No marauders? Kangaroo-ish werewolf? Hunchbacked Tom? That all seems a bit iffy to me… DH absolutely MUST be the best film in the series and the film also needs to capture the absolute terror that the book brings with it. Yates has proven himself with OotP, and the last 3 books are by far the most pivotal. Let him finish the series! Oh, and I think the director of the previous film gets first chance at directing the next one. Yates has said he loves the world, and so hopefully he’ll stick with it if/when it’s offered to him.

Avatar Image says:

It’s not going to happen. The first director WB asks to direct the new HP movie is ALWAYS the “last HP director” and since David Yates accepted HBP and since he’s having such a blast on the set of HP, I’m quite certain the director of DH will be…............David Yates, again.

And he’s obviously the best HP director. He got the BEST acting performances out of all the actors, managed to make the most boring book (though the book was still amazing) into something more action-packed and kept the dark, sinister mood the book had. He did all this with virtually no experience. Now that he’s directed OotP his experience has more than tripled….imagine what he could do in DH!

Avatar Image says:

While I enjoy the movies in general, I believe that series has suffered due to the fragmented vision of so many different directors. I can’t understand why it is more difficult to get one person to commit to completing 7 films than it is to get the entire cast on board for them. Obviously, the look of the films varies with each director and some are certainly better than others. I agree that Cuaron was a disaster. For one thing I just don’t get the music. It sounds like something that belongs in a Shakespearian play rather than a modern day fantasy. And even though I loved the look of OOTP I really missed some of my favorite parts of the novel and I felt that Yates focused on irrelevant topics. If you add up the segments with Filtch putting up the Educational Decrees it must be 5 minutes! And you couldn’t show us the portable swamp instead? Come on! Anyway, don’t get me wrong, I am a huge film lover and Potter fan alike, but I’d really like to see a fabulous ambiance, a unified vision, and the correct focus in the series as a whole. Also, I think that Del Toro might do a great job!

Avatar Image says:

I would really like for Del Toro to direct Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It would be cool if he and Cuaron worked together on that last HP film. Pam’s Labyrinth blew my mind away, and it was his own story. Not the effects, which were amazing but more like his ability to mix fantasy with reality, which is what the other HP directors left out on the films, those small Rowling details. Cuaron will leave details, like we saw in POA but Del Toro doesn’t seem like the person who would leave them out, seeing he’s a writer himself and knows the importance of them. Doesn’t matter if they’re buddies, they have very different ideas. Yates is a good director, and he stayed very literal to the film, but what people keep forgeting is that whoever directs Deathly Hallows, will have to fill in those blanks that the other directors left, like Dobby, and a bunch of other things. I think that WB should be afraid to make a 5 hour film, seeing that it’s their fault that the films left out so many details. They’ll will be kinda forced to, but then again they can make another crappy film to fit with the other 6. Also both Del Toro and Cuaron are Latin American which makes them completely different compared to the british and North American directors. They tend to make meaningful films, not just another film, they want them to stand out.

Avatar Image says:

Well, seeing as I have NO confidence in Warner Bros doing the last film right anyway, I suppose it would be interesting to see what a director like Del Toro could come with. If he were allowed to do anything similar to Pan’s Labyrinth (which I highly doubt) – it would be incredible.

I liked PoA, but…

c’mon, David Yates was the best so far, we must keep him!

Avatar Image says:

As someone absolutely floored by “Pan’s Labyrinth,” I’d love to see DelToro direct DH, actually. While OotP is in many ways my favorite film in the series so far, it’s not really because of the direction, which I found a bit rote and episodic. That said, I also think Yates learned a lot and HBP will make that clear.

But DelToro’s style suites the material so very well! Of the people genuinely likely to be selected, he’s my choice.

Who do I really want? No, not Tim Burton (surprised?)! Not really the right style for the story, imo. ((on a side note, is there anyone who doesn’t think the title role for Burton’s Alice in Wonderland” should be offered to Evanna Lynch?))

Nope…I want M. Night Shayamalan! Think about it…

Avatar Image says:

I think Yates should stay for the 7th film, too. I like it when it’s the same director through a good sequence of films. Plus, I thought he did an excellent job with OoTP.

Avatar Image says:

nooo, not M. Night Shayamalan! Don’t get me wrong, I like some of his movies, but he misses as much as he hits. I don’t think he has the cappacity for a potter-flick. I like cuaron a lot for his vision. I don’t feel he left out anything crucial. Ik really like Yates, but I don’t think he really has the feeling for it. He has got great ideas for the character, he really get’s them and I think he must be a very intelligent man, but he misses the feeling for filmmaking that Cuaron does have. Mike newell made a nice movie, but honoustly, he doesn’t understand Harry Potter for one bit. And I’m not even going to discuss Columbus. He was good enough for the first two, but he lacks te depth and vision for the last one.

It feels to me that Yates would be a safe choice, but Cuaron might just be the best. Del Torro would be good too though, but Cuaron is allready familiar with the world.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, I didn’t like Cuaron, and here’s why. The whole film feels fake-not at all the emotion I got out of the book when I read it. It’s way too artsy. PoA probably has the most definite feel of all the HP films (I’ll give you that), but it is not the right one. I watched this film several times after it came out on DVD (and several times in the theater, too) and it was pretty good the first few times I watched it. All HP films are. It’s when you get to the point where you can recite it word for word that you start getting critical. Too many important things were left out. Someone who has not read the book would be left with the question, “How did Lupin know it was a map?” The connection between James, Sirius, Lupin, Petigrew and the map was never made. Someone I know who hasn’t read the book thought, “Yeah, they were friends, but I didn’t they wrote that map.” Plus, why is Harry’s patronous and a stag? Call me a purist, I guess, but PoA was all wrong. All wrong. Now granted, there are problems with the other films (watch OotP again now that we have all read book seven and tell me they didn’t leave important things out, like Lily in the memory, for example), yet still PoA screams mistake for me. Compare it to the other films-it feels different. Shouldn’t they all feel like they go together?

Which movie is my favorite? That would be Philosopher’s/Sorcerer’s Stone. Why? It was the most true to the book and the feelings associated with it. Chamber of Secrets is close up there, too, yet I think even that film left some important things out. That’s why I say Chris Columbus for DH!!!! He is by far the best HP director so far. He’d make Harry go out with a bang!

Avatar Image says:

Okay, what’s up with the crossing out? I’ll re-post it. Maybe it will work now.

Okay, I didn’t like Cuaron, and here’s why. The whole film feels fake, not at all the emotion I got out of the book when I read it. It’s way too artsy. PoA probably has the most definite feel of all the HP films (I’ll give you that), but it is not the right one. I watched this film several times after it came out on DVD (and several times in the theater) and it was pretty good the first few times I watched it. All HP films are. It’s when you get to the point that you can recite it word for word that you start getting critical. Too many important things were left out. Someone who has not read the book would be left with the question, “How did Lupin know it was a map?” The connection between James, Sirius, Lupin, Petigrew and the map was never made. Plus, why is Harry’s patronous and a stag? Call me a purist I guess, but PoA was all wrong. Now granted, there are problems with the other films (watch OotP again now that we have all read book seven and tell me they didn’t leave important things out, like Lily in the memory, for example), yet still PoA screams mistake for me. Compare it to the other films, it feels different. Shouldn’t they all feel like they go together?

Which movie is my favorite? That would be Philosopher’s/Sorcerer’s Stone. Why? It was the most true to the book and the feeling associated with it. Chamber of Secrets is close up there, too, yet I think even that film left some important things out. That’s why I say Chris Columbus for DH!!!! He’d make Harry go out with a bang!

Avatar Image says:

I think they should keep the same director. I’ve learned to love the movies, AS a movie fan, and not as a Harry Potter fan, because as an HP fan I’m not too fond of them, even though it is always amazing to see what you pictured in your head in the big screen. I think Yates is doing a good job, and trying out a completely new director for the most important movie is a risk I would not be willing to take. Or if they want to bring someone back, let it be Chris Columbus. But NOT Cuaron. Please don’t let it be Cuaron.

On other news, is THIS HBP poster REAL? http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3549/1sthbpposterlf4pi1.jpg I don’t care if it’s not, I’m so making a blend with that!

Avatar Image says:

I think that Yates should get the job if HBP works as well as OOtP – even though I hated the part of the final battle scene where the screen play takes Bellatrix’ lines and gives them to Voldemort to speak inside Harry’s thoughts was way too much like Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker and did not really fit with the books. That being said, I really enjoyed OOtP otherwise and am looking forward to HBP. Adding another director’s vision at the very last installment could be a plus or a very big minus.

Avatar Image says:

I always imagined that TIM BURTON would do a great job,directing a HP film…think about it.After all he is Carter’s husband.He can convey a perfect sense of mystery and a dark atmoshere in everything he does(including Charlie and the chocolate factory!) However DEL TORO is definetely my second choice!I think he is ideal for DH!I would be very happy to see him direct Hallows,only though if he can make the ending as touching as I want it to be.As for YATES,I have a feeling that the HBP will be the worst and least interesting of the three…the comedy is given too much space whereas Tom Riddle and his Dickensean story is somehow overlooked(where are the Gaunts??)—I don’t want to see HBP be turned out to an American Pie(with wands)...Del Toro is definetely good news!!!

Avatar Image says:

Interestingly enough, I think that OotP has been the best movie so far, even though it’s cut out/altered the most. Obviously, the books are always going to be better than the movies, so people should recognize that the movies are a different entity, and having every single word/plotline be the same would be too tiresome (even for the most devoted fans). I think the most important thing, for the movies, is to capture the most important scenes - ie Sirius’s death, etc - as well as the overall tone and theme of the particular book. Anyone who expects the movies to be identical to the books is completely bonkers. That said, I think Yates has actually done the best job—cinematically and otherwise, though Cuaron is equally close. I too have my problems with PoA (it being my favorite book), but I’m sure he could do a great job with it.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope it isn’t Alfonso Cuarón. The third movie is the one I really hated… If Del Toro can’t do it, I hope they’ll keep David Yates!

I completely agree with Tony. :D

Avatar Image says:

How come some people’s comments have crossed out marks over them? It’s going to be a huge battle for who gets the final movie. I think Yates has been doing a pretty good, job. Though I secretly hope it’s not Alfonso Cuaron. It’s not that I don’t think that he’s a good director, it’s that I don’t think I can handle anymore shrunken heads…

Avatar Image says:

Cuaron and Del Toro are both amazing directors. I hope one of them directs Deathly Hallows. I enjoyed Cuaron’s work with PoA and Children of Men. Yes, PoA got rid of a few things, but overall the film was enjoyable and exciting. Del Toro did a beautiful job with Pan’s Labyrinth and The Devil’s Backbone. These are both great directors. Just please don’t bring back Columbus.

Avatar Image says:

I agree w/thoseof you who say that David Yates should finish out the series. TOOTP was excellent and POA was the worst!!! I still haven’t gotten over it!

Avatar Image says:

This has been bugging me for a while now so I was hoping someone could explain something. What is the problem with the shrunken heads? They are in the film for 2 minutes tops and have maybe 4 lines. I’ve always just seen them as adding not detracting to the overall atmosphere of the film. They do not interfere with the story in any way either in time or distracting plot so what exactly is the harm?

David Yates for Deathly Hallows!!!! _

Avatar Image says:

I’m very nervous about this director because he is friends with Cuaron. POA was my favorite book and I think he completly ruined that movie. So if Del Toro has the same kind of directing that Curaon does, I would rather he not do it.

Also, with David Yates, I feel like he didn’t do the best job with OOTP. His goal was to make the longest book the shortest movie and to me, that is so wrong. I feel like the movie just jumped from one scene to the next without spending any real time on what was going on.

I really think they should go back to Chris Columbus, although I know that isn’t likely. But he is the one that started the movies and created that original magic in the films and I personally think he should be the only one to end it, especially because it was so important to him to stay as true to the books as he could. Sorcerer’s Stone remains my favorite film because of him.

Avatar Image says:

OMG! YES! Please WB, ask him for goodness sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy is basically begging, in a very subtle way!!!!!

Oh man, if he does end up directing it, I will be sooooo happy!!!! :D

Avatar Image says:

I personally for OotP to be the best HP film yet, which is surprising because the book left a lot to be desired. Yates found the best parts of the book and brought it out in the movie. If he does equally as well with HBP, then he should get first nod to direct DH.

I do agree that Del Toro may do a good job, but I would prefer to keep continuity; that means keeping Yates.

Avatar Image says:

OMG YES PLEASE! Guillermo Del Toro would be brilliant!!!!

Avatar Image says:

This poster is a really good fake !

I don’t understand how some people want Columbus on the last movie. I have nothing against him but let’s face it, his two movie were not in the spirit of the books !

Watch it closely : always bright sun, Quiddich looks like baseball, Hogwarts is too “clean”.

Of course the story is almost respected but even it looks like Harry Potter in the USA.

Columbus style was ok for the first movie but too bad they let him done the second movie. CoS should be much more darker !

Thanks to Cuaron the saga took another direction and a very god one, that’s why he should do the last movie, he deserves it ! Nevertheless it’s true that Yates is a lot better in directing the actors, thanks to him Dan made an wonderful job in Ootp.

And don’t forget that there are other deleted scenes for Ootp that the ones on the dvd ! (Lily, Macgonagall’s attack, Sirius and Bellatrix fighting). I think that after the release of the last movie WB will sell a complete set with extented versions, unfortunately wee have to wait !

Avatar Image says:

No. He is well, no. I agree, Yates is the best director so far.

Avatar Image says:

Bring it on Del Toro! I for one would love to see a decent (IMO) director take on HP. IMO, there hasn’t been a decent one since POA, and I think Del Toro would be wonderful!

Avatar Image says:

I was very impressed with Order of the Phoenix and David Yates. He took the book I liked the least (by a long shot) and made it my favorite of the five films.

I was happy to read he’s back doing the sixth film and truly hope he sticks around for the seventh. If he doesn’t though, my vote would be for Columbus to come back. He did a wonderful job of setting up the world and staying true to the book in the beginning. But my first hope for the final film is David Yates.

The third and fourth films are fun, but the characters aren’t true to the book and Azkaban was way off the mark as far as the conveying the spirit of the story in my opinion, though Thewliss and Oldman both were excellent.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve always heard good things or him, but…if he is like Cuaron as far as directing goes, let’s hope he isn’t their pick. So far, I think Yates has done the best job getting the key plot and points across, even if the longest book’s film adaptation was shorter than the shortest book’s adaptation. I’m not bitter.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know why most of you have it for Cuaron. I think POA made the best film of the five so far! Most of the ommissions you’ve all mentioned are mainly down to the scriptwriter, not the director. They collaborate on it, but its mostly the writers fault and WB for wanting shorter running times. As Yates said ages ago, his original cut was over 3 hours long or something….he has to whittle it all down to a time that WB sees fit. Which was the main problem for OOTP. Who in their right mind would make the longest book into the shortest film?

Avatar Image says:

Everyone – just go see Pan’s Labyrinth! It’s amazing (but very depressing and gruesome!)

Avatar Image says:

I think Alfonzo did an AMAZING job with PoA. I also like GdT’s work, and would really be excited for either of them to do DH.

Avatar Image says:

i hope, Del toro directs the movie, and amazing and artistic work, that is art that is movie abouts, imagine with Del toro, that will be amazing!! The DH needs somebody that could tell story’s, and not get boring, he will be the perfect choice, please even Cuaron, but not Columbus, Not Newell ( goD!, his last film sucked also like GOF), Yates wanst bad but he is not the best.

Avatar Image says:

Del Toro already turned down working on HBP (Yates wasn’t the first choice), and I doubt that David Heyman is going to be swayed by him pitching for the job through the press.

Everytime poor Alfonso Cuarón’s name comes up there is a flood of venom here, but out in the real world, everyone knows that Cuarón made an exceptional film and saved the series. It’s flawed but it summons the necessary cinematic magic. And Jo Rowling, by the way, is on record as saying that HP3 is closest to her vision. So I hope that everyone who disses PoA realizes that they have not only got the movies wrong, they have missed the essence of the books as well.

OoTP did well because it was coasting on the fumes of Newell’s success. There will be a big drop in the box office for HBP, just like there was for PoA after Columbus’ second film. Even if David Yates gets hired for DH, he’ll be swiftly replaced. TV directing, even with a $250M budget, still looks like T. The sad thing is that even though Dave Heyman might want Cuarón or Newell for DH, they are both too busy to do it now.

Avatar Image says:

“Del Toro already turned down working on HBP (Yates wasn’t the first choice)” Wait, where did you hear that?!

POA was incredible, the best of the series, but certainly not perfect. As such I think some HP fans are more bothered by tiny inaccurate details and thus fail to see the beauty of a film that actually captures the essence of the Potterverse. Sad really!

Avatar Image says:

Interesting thread to read, if only because it unscores how differently we look at the films….

my personal two cents re the Yates and Cuaron discussion, after watching each dvd repeatedly:

In PoA, subplots were ignored, or perhaps filmed and then deleted—in particular the story of the Marauder’s Map and Harry’s Patronus as others have noted. But, the bulk of the central story line was present in PoA. Would have been nice to have Quidditch and Sean Biggerstaff, but….

In OotP, on the other hand, considerable plot lines of importance simply do not appear at all: the locket in the drawing room of Grimmauld Place, no mention of Regulus Black at all, no Dobby (again), the fact that Petunia Dursley knows about demonters and “that awful boy”, no Mundungus, and so on. Still others are treated with passing indifference: that Phineas Nigellus has a portrait at Grimmauld Place was mentioned in a single, easily missed line in OotP. And—let’s be honest now—that bloody awful bashing to the Room of Requirement really did not make sense and creates unnecessary problems for both HBP and DH films! Add in comparatively minor changes to the story line (Harry threatens Dudley with his wand in front of Dudley’s friends, Cho as the ‘snitch’ who actually is innocent because she was given Veritaserum, the extremely short version of Snape’s Worst Memory with no Lily Evans in it )... and i am sorry, but i really detested the swirling newspapers substituting for actors and dialogue (the swriling Daily Prophets reminded me of the old Adam West Batman series on US television, my kid brother insisted on watching every episode, over and over, yeech!)

We can debate who is ultimately responsible—director, screenwriter, or editor (or some combination of the three)—for final decisions in film making, but I prefer faithfulness to the story line first and foremost when a novel is being transformed into a film. By the criteria of faithfulness to the storyline, then I would put Cuaron over Yates, easily. And I would put Columbus over Cuaron by that same criteria, tho he appears totally out of the running as director.

Just my two cents, obviously

I would add that in a Yates interview we discussed here on Leaky, about 4 to 6 weeks ago, Yates sounded as if he planned on being the director for DH.

Avatar Image says:

perosnally i did not like cuaron, POA just left out so much stuff. Im not saying i didnt like the third movie but it is definately my least favorite out of all of them. from what i have heard “pans labrynth” was really good and that it was very dark and magical, which makes me think he would be a very good choice for DH, seeing as that is pretty much what makes up DH.

i actually really like columbus for the first two movies… true i dont think there is anyway that he could or should direct DH but since the first two movies are not yet as dark as the others i thought he was perfect. he was able to keep the inocence of PS yet still keep it together, and I think that he added the perfect amount of darkness in CoS compared to PS… I understand why some people dont like him but this is just my opinion.

I agree with doublecore way at the begining of the comments… harry must go out with a bang! the movies will never take the place of the books but whoever ends up directing DH has to understand that we cant have the LAST movie be a flop… that would ruin it… best till last and we NEED DH to be the best it can be, so i just hope that who ever does direct the seventh one does a good job and doesnt hold back at all…

-HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

WOW budb,that was an amazing comment. You even brought up a few things i missed in POA and OOTP. Thanks i will go back and look> COOL< Makes me go back and read them again:)

Avatar Image says:

Didn’t read all the posts, but it sounds like the usual complaining about things that are way out of our control. Being a book purist, of course the first two movies are fantastic, and I think Yates’s did a terrific job with OOP. There are some things that really annoy me about POA inculding failure to connect the Mauraders with the Map, but over time I have forgiven it. However, GOF is sometimes just difficult for me to watch. I don’t know del Toro’s work, but when I read the scene in Bathilda’s bedroom, I felt it was a real Tim Burton moment. Now that he is connected with the Potter cast through Sweeny Todd, who else would be better. But sadly I don’t get to vote.

Nope…I want M. Night Shayamalan! Think about it…<

I am thinking about it, and you are on to something. Shayamalan’s movies are uneven because he is not as good a writer as he is a director. Give him a strong script and a great story, and he’ll take the movie over the rainbow.

Avatar Image says:

if Alfonso Cuaron can’t do DH then Del toro would be a fine choice. but i really wish it would be Alfonso but seeing that there are still people out there that hated POA, i don’t think this would happen which is very sad because POA still and remain the best HP movie yet. I could only wonder how DH would have been if Alfonso did it.

PLEASE. PLEASE DO.

Why doesn’t the blessed Peter Jackson continue on with The Hobbit then? Or why doesn’t somebody else do it? We need Del Toro so HP can finish with a bang.

Or Yates. I am perfectly fine with Yates.

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear lord…PLEASE not M. Night Shyamalan. What a complete egomaniac!

Can you imagine the trailers for “M. Night Shyamalan’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”?

GAG.

Avatar Image says:

Actually – del toro can do the Hobbitt – if we can have the ‘blessed’ Peter Jackson. . I would LOVE it! We could have a proper DH movie…even if it had to be 3.5 hours…

Avatar Image says:

I am with a lot of the others in saying that POA is my lest favorite. I hate how dirty it all looks the school and its grounds look horrible in POA. I don’t think it was so artist or beautiful. I mean how many times do we have to watch the womping willow go after that stupid bird and those heads are just a waste of CGI money.

I would go with Yates not because he did the best job he could have done with OOTP (but he did not do a horrible job either) but because I think the 7th movie is too important to bring in a new director who may or may not stray from the story again. The 7th story need to flow and keeping Yates would keep the feel of the movies consistent with the two before.

I think one major problem with the 5 films when you watch them back to back is that each direct saw the story differently and it shows. I think it would be horrible to get another point of view for the last movie especially if it is from someone that may go after a more artsy aspect instead of the story.

Avatar Image says:

Del Toro and Alfonso Cuaron should make DH together, thus doubling the Mexican Magic and making DH the best movie it can be.

Avatar Image says:

ah, doublecore, it probably means i have far too much free time to think about such things, yes? thanks for your appreciation, always nice to hear

Avatar Image says:

Okay, I’m going to be as nice as I can about this, because I’ve commented on it so many times before.

What some Cuaron haters fail to do is their research. One of their top complaints is the shrunken heads. OKAY, well guess what. I’m here to put you out of your misery…AGAIN. Maybe this time you will listen. The heads were Kloves’ idea. Jo revealed this in an interview, which you can find at Accio Quote (I’ve posted the link too many times). She personally said that she loved those, and that she wished that she had thought of them herself.

If questioned, I’ll find the interview again and post the link AGAIN.

Avatar Image says:

Never heard of this guy, but all I know is I would love to see Chris Columbus come back for the last one!

Avatar Image says:

Why is it important to know that James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus created the Marauder’s Map? It is important to know that these four young men were friends and that Peter betrayed the Potters and not Sirius. These plot threads are included in the film. I like the mystery surrounding the map, but Cuaron and Kloves created a film that provides an abundant amount of clues (i.e. Sirius saying “the map never lies”, Lupin saying “Mischief Managed,” and throughout the film we see what each friend transforms into. Do we need to know that these friends called themselves the Marauders? Since I have read the books, as I am sure most of you have, you know this information and thus the film does not lose its emotional poignancy by explaining things you already know. Finally, I would like to say that I love the Whomping Willow and the bird. It is a means of communicating the passage of time and subtly foreshadowing the important role this tree will have later on in the story. It is also a means of introducing us to the new and more realistic geography of Hogwarts. By the way, no one has yet to explain to me how the shrunken heads or Tom for that matter can “ruin” a film.

Avatar Image says:

DeathlyH, hahaha. I agree. I love Mexican Magic.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t see why they can’t release it sooner I mean come on that IS 2 YEARS AWAY.

Avatar Image says:

Cuarron is so overrated it hurts…And while I’ve never seen any of Del Toro’s work and won’t judge him, if he’s anything like his friend, I say no thanks.

I’m sticking by Yates right now because I was pleased enough with OotP. If he nails HBP, I’ll be in his corner for DH.

Avatar Image says:

Forget things being left out- Cauron butchered the characterization of the trio. You can thank him for supergirl Hermione, goofy sidekick wimpy idiot Ron (there was a tad of that in CoS but not that much) and Harry and Hermione being the most important relationship in the trio. Notice how before PoA even in the media all members of the trio received equal attention? Hah. Not in a million years would I want him touching DH, a book so centered on the characters and relationships amongst the trio.

Del Toro is one of my favorite directors but if he’s that chummy with Cauron there’s a strong chance he’ll continue those characterizations in DH.

Keeping Yates promises better characterizations (if Steve Kloves doesn’t butt in and change that), because his grip on canon, while not perfect is ten fold better than Cauron or Newell’s.

Avatar Image says:

I wouldn’t care if Toro did HP 7. I also wouldn’t mind Cuaron doing it either (although I do worry about his concept of keeping story).

I just don’t want Yates or Columbus to touch movie 7. Columbus’ films were slow and boring. The second film was the only movie of the series that the actors were terrible in their acting. Yates did a good job on Ootp, but the film is lacking the great strength, originality that PS, Poa and GoF had. I do feel that Ootp could’ve been better with the tone and mood (and a different soundtrack).

DH is epic. Therefore, the movie will have to have a director who has had experience with epic movies.

Avatar Image says:

Laura, thank you! I believe she said that on the extra features for the POA DVD but it’s been a while so I could be wrong, but I remember that interview. People love to blame everything on the director as if they are the only one’s who make decisions for the films. Too bad we also have writers, editors, actors, producers, and let’s not forget the Big Wigs at Warner Bros who ultimately make the final decisions about these films.

Avatar Image says:

eh no thanks! i don’t trust him, he hasn’t done any other hp films so he might just screw it up and if he does he will screw up the LAST one…ooh no. i want yates back for the last…ok i’m panicking here, either yates or couron. noone else!!

MUGGLENET GOT HACKED

Avatar Image says:

I think that PS and COS were great and then the acing fell dramatically in POA and GOF. Luckily OOTP was a bit back up to decency, if HBP is good I think they should stick with Yates and have continuity

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I was the one who invented the term “Mexican Magic” and people appreciate me! I just want someone whose name is NOT Chris Columbus, Mike Newell, Peter Jackson or Steven Spielberg (though I love Spielberg, he’s just NOT the right director for HP.) I’d like to see Cuaron, del Toro, or perhaps the ever-brilliant Tim Burton? Maybe even George Lucas?

Avatar Image says:

I also want to comment on the shrunken heads thing and Tom the bartender…

Did people miss that even JKR has shrunken heads in the 6th book? And didn’t she enjoy that in the PoA film?

Also, in the first book Tom is described as a bald, toothless man whose head resembled a walnut. The Tom in PoA resembled the Tom JKR described as the bartender for the Leaky Cauldron.

And it’s amusing how fans are showing dislike towards Cauron and PoA when Yates added a scene from PoA in the Ootp film. It’s the scene where they’re locking the doors of the entrance. That’s from PoA, and yet it’s placed in Ootp as an Ootp scene (not a flashback).

Avatar Image says:

Agreeing with Christine: she’s right in every single way.

Avatar Image says:

I also want to say that if it were not for PoA, Ootp wouldn’t have came out as good as it was (it wasn’t great). I mean, it seemed that Yates and the film crew tried making Ootp mirror PoA is its visual stance and way of moving time and characters.

Really, watch PoA and Ootp one after the other and you’ll see a relation to the two. So, it seems bogus that there’s so much hate towards PoA (for being “artsy”) but has much love towards Ootp, when Ootp tries to mirror PoA (especially in it’s action and “artsy” stance).

Amusing!

Avatar Image says:

Menastro’s right too about the bartender and the shrunken heads

Avatar Image says:

Menastro: I hardly think the fact that Yates used a scene of doors locking from PoA means that PoA is a great film and we have no reason to complain about it. If a director screwed up locking doors… well then I’d really be worried.

Avatar Image says:

Menastro: I can’t speak for everyone else but it’s the awful characterization in PoA that I hate. I can deal with the random whomping willow stuff and the reggae shrunken head, but when characters don’t act like themselves and the director takes so many ridiculous liberties with canon even outside that, that’s another story entirely.

Not to mention stuff like the bald werewolf. wtf?

Avatar Image says:

actually, i’m of the age where i am already regretting that i won’t be around for the re-make in about 20, 25 years! if done right that truly will be spectacular (Radcliffe plays Sanpe, since we now know that is the juicy role!)

Avatar Image says:

I have read every single comment on this thread so far (isn’t it brave of me?) and have come with these conclusions: - apparently, being “artsy” is bad - Cuaron creates the most passion - many people like Yates because he is the less controversial - many people who like what Yates did to OOTP confess they didn’t really like the book that much - many people who want Yates for DH say they don’t want risks to be taken

If my characterization is true, then we should wish that Cuaron got the job. Which means that WB will offer it to Yates. Oh well….

Avatar Image says:

my friend thinks that bald werewolves look like kittys

Avatar Image says:

I’ve always wished that Harry Potter fans would get together in 20-30 years and make a remake. Because we’d all care to do the books justice, and to make that passion translate onto the big screen. I’m just putting it out there. Is anyone studying up to become a director? lol.

Avatar Image says:

a remake would suck majorly. only dan can play harry.

Avatar Image says:

This guy will be awesome… Pan’s Labyrinth was the best movie that’s fantasy that I watched (other than HP and LOTR)

Avatar Image says:

deathlyH, I completely disagree with you on that one :) For me, Dan is alright, but absolutely nothing like my own interpretation of canon Harry. So while I enjoy his performances I am really dying to see someone else take on the role at some point. I don’t think any one will ever perfectly match my version of Harry and I rather like it that way, but I would really enjoying seeing other actors interpretations of the character…. I hope I’m not alone on that one!

So yes, I think a remake would be incredible and am personally hoping the BBC or HBO gets to make a miniseries sooner or later. Well, later, rather, coz we all know it won’t happen anytime soon.

Avatar Image says:

a remake would be excellent. better actors next time around plz

Avatar Image says:

I think we all need to remember that we all have different opinions, and as first I expected the most from the movies but I have learned that the books are one thing and the movies are another. Besides any book based on a novel is always hard to transfer equally- the book is always better. they all are good and they keep getting better, yes they each have holes that we dont like but thats what we get with book to movie. But we all have our fav movie and opinion about which director did it best- lets not say one of the movies of the series sucked – really that is quite immature , they are all good in their own way. Just like it was very immature for people to call Helen McCrory ugly or old – just because she doesnt look like the ideal narcissa OUT OF COSTUME! she is very beautiful and is only 39. besides casting has never been bad!

Avatar Image says:

you dippies, a remake is not ever going to happen- that is just stupid to suggest – talk about a cheap cop out cause you didnt get your way!! talk about pure immaturity – keep it up and I’ll pull a Bellatrix on you! CRUCIO!

Avatar Image says:

With a re-make, 20+ years from now, Radcliffe will be pushing 40, and just the right age (and with tons of experience) for an role like Snape, Sirius, Lupin, or even Gilderoy? ...he’ll still be too young to play Dumbledore tho

The entire filming process would be so different, too. Most important, the production team—directors, writers, editors and on and on—will have had all 7 books in their hands (probably some of those future film makers will have grown up with Harry, and posted comments here on Leaky!), and won’t be trying to figure out what needs to be in movie 3 when book 6 hasn’t been published yet…that has been a drawback of churning out the films alongside with the books

but, also think about it in casting and filming terms: when shooting the scenes of 16 year old Tom Riddle for CoS, the scenes with 16 year old Riddle for HBP will also be shot. the shots of James and Lily Potter would all be done within a limited time, and then edited into the appropriate movie: let’s face it, it is a bit odd to have those characters appear to age as the films progress!

anyway, off topic i know, but something i’ve thought a bit about, and hope to be around to see….

ppsstt: Emma Watson as Trelawney? ;). Melissa’s kids as the staff of the New Leaky? ;))))

Avatar Image says:

I hate how the PoA fans always pull out the “jkr loved this film which means you have to or else!!” card everytime someone mentions that they had a problem with the film. DH is jkrs favourite book, so does that mean it automatically has to be my fav as well? She loves Ginny, does that mean I have to? No it doesn’t! We are allowed to have a different opinion from her, creator and all.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, the advantages to re-doing the films in 20 years would be extensive! On top of the ones you mentioned budb, there’s also the fact that the films would probably not be as lucrative in 20 years time which means less pressure on the studio to appeal to mass audiences. So the films would actually be geared towards the fan base instead of EVERYONE, which would make a huuuuuuuuge difference. And personally, I think it would be pretty awesome if they had Dan, Rupert, Emma and Bonnie make cameos in the epilogue as the grown version of their characters… oh I can see it now! Man, I really hope this actually happens someday!

BellaSnape, nothing to get upset over, what’s wrong with dreaming? I personally love the current films! But would love to see remakes too!

Avatar Image says:

I know he won’t but I would love for Joss Whedon to write and direct HP7. He’s magic in my eyes.

Avatar Image says:

Someone mentioned George Lucas ?!!? HAH!

That’s a HUGE PROBLEM. The guy has definitely lost his touch within the last, say, 30 YEARS.

Also, as a side note :

THANK GOODNESS for “Dan Rad” finally showing some acting ability in OotP. I don’t think I ever quite got over the unintentionally hilarious “He was their friend . . . HE WAS THEIR FRIEND!” line in PoA.

Avatar Image says:

danni, while I agree with your point that it is poor logic to say that simply because Jo likes a particular aspect of a movie doesn’t mean others must like it as well. I do, however, disagree that when someone says that Jo had no problem with the shrunken heads which Cuaron added to POA that person is saying “you have to” love the whole film “or else!” as you put it. They are simply saying that something which so many POA detractors belittle as not being canon, like Tom’s hunchback, can still be admired by the canon creator herself, J.K. Rowling. As for other issues which have annoyed me somewhat, I also find it misguided to claim that the manner in which Lupin’s werewolf form was designed is wrong when, sorry to ruin the fantasy, but werewolves do not nor did they ever exist, so the precise their precise appearance is completely subjective. I agree with BellaSnape, we all need to simply accept that there isn’t a definitive right or wrong when it comes to these films for the most part. If someone dislikes something it is most likely because the vision of the filmmakers doesn’t match their vision and therefore a particular film may not be their cup of tea. Meanwhile, another completely person could completely love a film because it fits their unique imagination/vision of the book or their personal artistic preferences. It’s all relative and subjective.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry for the typo, I meant to say: If someone dislikes something it is most likely because the vision of the filmmakers doesn’t match their vision and therefore a particular film may not be their cup of tea. Meanwhile, another completely different person could absolutely love a film because it fits their unique imagination/vision of the book or their personal artistic preferences. It’s all relative and subjective.

Avatar Image says:

Some of the shots Yates used were great but then again, some of other ones weren’t. Deathly Hallows is a different book to all the rest, its set mostly outside Hogwarts and there are a lot of muggle features, etc. In the other books, most things have a magical element to them but Hallows is more ‘rough’ (I’m not saying its a bad book, its one of my favourites, Im saying that the ‘features’ and events are more mundane and real rather than magical) so whoever can direct a film like that should maybe be the director (maybe Columbus or Newell?)

Avatar Image says:

I loved both Pan’s Labyrinth and Children of Men. So, I would definitely love for either Del Toro or Cuaron to do DH.

However…

According to IMDB, Del Toro is slated to be the director of the movie adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s “At the Mountains of Madness”, which is due for release in 2010. Seeing as DH is also slated for release for 2010, it would be a directorial nightmare for him to do both. So, I have no idea what Del Toro thinks he’s doing, fanning all these rumours of directing DH…

At this point in time, I think Cuaron stands the best chance of being handed the reigns for DH: he and David Heyman are already working together on the movie ‘The History of Love’ due out in 2009, with Heyman as producer (looks like he’s become a fan of Cuaron’s work). Furthermore, all of Cuaron’s other projects are also scheduled for release in 2009, which, conveniently, makes him available for DH.

Avatar Image says:

The Potter universe is dark, and artistic. The films are not meant to be a documentary where every line of the book is included. Listen to the audio books then if you want every paragraph. Jim Dale is an excellent actor and narrator.

Avatar Image says:

I forgot to add that POA is my favorite book of the first 5 but I didn’t enjoy the movie as much. I loved Lupin but Hermonie took over the movie and she was morphed into goddess instead of smart chick to Harry’s searching hero. Watson just hasn’t been Hermione since. And there’s the heads and Ron who? I love “The little princess” and think it’s a special movie so I don’t blame Cuaron altogether but just in case I don’t want him to direct the final movie. Pan is an exceedingly wonderful movie and I’ld be willing for Del Toro to direct DH. Joss is my dream though.

Avatar Image says:

Well, no one can accuse us HP fans of being a dispassionate bunch, now can they? XD I just finished reading through all 120 comments… I love this fandom and how enjoyably argumentative we can be. I think the wide variety of opinions on the films really shows that we all interpret the books differently which is actually a huge compliment to Jo! I mean really, the fact that clearly so many different people with such diverse ideas can relate to the Potterverse and make it their own is really incredible. In short, rock on HP fandom ;)

Avatar Image says:

I’m agree with Tony!, OOTP was good, not great! I think that Yates did a good job, but it coud be better . I’d love to see a different style in DH movie and I think that Del Toro is perfect ot direct it!

Avatar Image says:

I think that we should all see Sweeney Todd and consider the possibility of Tim Burton directing DH (it has 3 HP cast members- Alan Rickman, Helena Bonham Carter, and Timothy Spall)

Avatar Image says:

We just got the blu-ray box set…yumm… Anyway, I’m glad to see others were’t huge fans of OOP movie. I just watched it again and was (once again) so disappointed. It was one of my favorite books and I thought the movie was ho hum. I’ll be really sad if Heyman directs DH. It still bugs me that in interviews he was all boastful about making the movie so short. IMO, taking the longest book so far and make the shortest movie so far only meant that too much was lost…not that he was some great director. On the other hand, GOF was probably one of my least favorite books, but that movie - in watching it again - was actually pretty good. Effects are killer in HD, but even that aside, the plot and story was complete, character-building was nice.

Avatar Image says:

HALF-BLOOD PRINCE POSTER AT DAN-RADCLIFFE.NET!!!!!!! IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!! AAAAH I’M SO EXCITED I’M TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS!!!!

re OotP and editing…

just curious, did it appear to anyone else that some scenes were actually shot longer, and then edited down?

for example, when Dumbledore and Harry are discussing the prophecy, did it seem as if further dialogue should have been there, but had been cut? In particular, as the films stands now it has Harry asking “why didn’t you tell me?”....which only makes sense in the film if there had been lines from Dumbledore to react to (ie, that Dumbledore knew the prophecy, that Trelawney had made it, that they had been interrupted?) Ok, yes, we know that from the book, but the dialogue in that film scene just doesn’t match up as it currently stands, leading me to wonder about the editing, and a possible extended edition someday

there were other moments throughout the movie that seemed as if dialogue had been snipped….but the Prophecy discussion really sticks out in my mind

Avatar Image says:

Mike, that poster is a fake and they really should take it down. Sorry to disappoint :(

Avatar Image says:

Poor Mugglenet:( I’m glad leaky didn’t get hacked:)

Avatar Image says:

Well, POA grossed the least of any of the HP films, I presumed it was because not as many went back to see it a second time as the other HP films.

Avatar Image says:

I know it’s a matter of taste but the auteur, like Cuaron or Del Toro seem to take many more liberties with their films than other directors. They are (in my mind) like the Impressionists in Art. That’s fine. But, for the final Harry Potter film, I don’t want to see an artsy, impressionistic film. I want to see a magical, visual interpretation of the written word; a sweeping, gut-wrenching, graceful ending to the story of the Boy Who Lived. I want to leave the theatre with the same sense of completeness that I felt when I closed DH the first time and thought, ” Yes, that was the only way to end it.”

Avatar Image says:

Jeannine: I’ve always assumed that, since CoS made less money than PS, that PoA made less money because of theater-goers opting to wait for the DVDs instead, having grown accustomed to the bland adaptations by Columbus. PoA went on to sell insanely on DVD, and the films started making a lot more money in theaters again. I thank Cuaron.

Anyway, I hope Del Toro, Yates, or Cuaron direct DH!

Avatar Image says:

Jeannine: I’ve always assumed that, since CoS made less money than PS, that PoA made less money because of theater-goers were opting to wait for the DVDs instead, having grown accustomed to the bland adaptations by Columbus. PoA went on to sell insanely on DVD, and the films started making a lot more money in theaters again. I thank Cuaron.

Anyway, I hope Del Toro, Yates, or Cuaron direct DH! I’d be happy either way.

What the—? Sorry about that. My computer’s freaking out right now. O_o

Avatar Image says:

i never liked POA as much as other films, so i don’t know….....he’s probably different, but by how much? PS…MuggleNet is done…......

Avatar Image says:

Nick: I have no problem with art films. Please don’t assume that people dislike PoA because it’s artistic. I’m a big fan of Cauron’s work outside PoA (I actually think his “Little Princess” is better than the original novel and “Children of Men” was one of my favorite films of last year) and I love Del Toro’s as well. However his version of HP? I thought it was awful.

PoA was all artistry and no substance and as TarotX also noted Hermione and Ron have still not recovered from the hack job Cauron made on their characters. They hardly resemble themselves at all in PoA or GoF. Rupert as an actor didn’t benefit either. He’s been shoved to the side ever since as the least of the three (look at the promo stuff for CoS- Rupert actually got more attention than Emma by a bit), although Hermione’s not-at-all-resembling-her-canon-counterpart makeover did wonders for Emma’s career. It really doesn’t matter how pretty the scenery is or how lovely the cinematography if everything else about the movie is bad. Even the quality of the acting diminished greatly in PoA. It’s not good when the acting in the first two movies, when they’re preteens- is better than the acting in the third and fourth.

To the earlier commenter that said the HP movies wouldn’t be where they are today without PoA- you’re probably right. They’d be better, because PoA started them on a path of deviation from JK Rowling’s brilliant concepts and character developments that is just unfortunate. Also, PoA made the least amount of money of the HP films and to be honest most non book fans I’ve talked to about it were unimpressed. The film is just boring.

Also to this- many people who like what Yates did to OOTP confess they didn’t really like the book that much.

OotP was one of my favorite books and to be honest I disliked the movie when I first saw it. I hadn’t given it a fair chance. I went to see it again after I’d rewatched all the Potter films and it’s now one of my favorites. It made some stupid cuts that will hurt them later (i.e. the mirror) and it was not perfect. However, it felt a heck of a lot more like Rowling’s universe than PoA or GoF.

Danni: Not to mention Jo said that her favorite movie now is OotP. ^_*

TarotX: Josh Whedon for the win. I love this choice. He is a fan of the books and unlike a lot directors knows how to balance a large cast while making sure all of them are complex and multi-dimensional instead of cardboard cutouts.

Edit:

However, it felt a heck of a lot more like Rowling’s universe than PoA or GoF AND it was just a far more entertaining film. It never dragged. It was funny, was extremely successful at shifting moods (light hearted to dark), the acting was great, and the atmosphere effective. It was a better movie, simple as that. I think Yates, if he wants the job, will be back for DH. I don’t think they’d gamble on Cauron.

I have a question about Del Toro though. I have seen the “Hellboy” movie but have never read any of the comics. How true is the movie to that universe?

Avatar Image says:

I would love for him to direct DH, Pan’s Labyrinth was so good, and I think he would capture the mood and making the film with care and great visuals.

I feel bad for mugglenet!

Avatar Image says:

Ok I think the films should be looked first and foremost as films and shud stand alone by themselves without having to read the books to get what is going on. Just hearing my dad and other people who havnt read the books talk, columbus did a good job on making the films accessible to the movie-goes, not the harry potter fan, closely followed by goblet of fire(which i actually really liked, probably because it was my 2nd fav book[behing dh]). However, Goblet didn’t have much feel to it compared to POA and OotP. I honestly liked all of the movies, POA had the best feel, but it was the most boring of the movies. OotP was great to me as a harry potter fan, but everybody I talk to who hasn’t read the books asks me questions as to what was the deal with the dementors(which was not explained in the movie and if you watch Hidden Secrets of Harry Potter on the dvd, David Heyman asks what were dementors were doing in little wingin as if jkr was gonna answer it in the 7th book, sounds like he didnt read OotP carefully enough), and what harry was planning on doing when he went up to umbridges office(nobody explained it in the movie, harry just started saying he could use the flu network, but didnt say where he wanted to do exactly). However, i do think tat yates will mature as a director before film 7 and become better and hopefully realize that he needs to make it accessible to movie-goers. Reguardless of who is directing, DH has to have some good music, I got really annoyed with the music for the DA after a while. POA had the best music overall so far.

Avatar Image says:

(and sorry for the grammatical errors, but I am a bit tired)

Avatar Image says:

does anyone know why mugglenet has yet to make a comment about their hacked site>?

Avatar Image says:

I’m surprised people are excited about Del Toro simply on the strength of Pan’s Labyrinth. I’d rather see a bigger body of work before I entrusted something as dear as DH to a particular director.

I am fond of Yates’ treatment of Phoenix, Gambon finally turned in a performance of DD that I didn’t loathe. However, I’ve heard he plans on making HBP the “funniest” of the series …. huh? A light comedy featuring Tom Riddle’s rise to power and Dumbledore’s death?

My pick is Terry Gilliam; I’ve heard that Jo’s choice. As fond as I am of Tim Burton, I think he would have best done a movie situated in Hogwarts. NOT Newell, under any circumstances. Editing was accomplished with a machete and there was blatant disregard for characterization (of which Cuaron was guilty, too). It is going to take a VERY deft touch to wrap up all the “loose ends” without leaving important elements out and/or wrecking the movie’s flow.

Avatar Image says:

Ginevra: Del Toro also did “Hellboy” and “The Devil’s Backbone” both of which were good movies, but there’s no doubt “Pan’s Labyrinth” is his magnum opus. It is superb and his other movies, although good, do not hold a candle to it. That being said, I agree that one amazing film is not enough to warrant this amount of faith and I’m as wary of him as I am any other director.

Honestly though I do think HBP is the funniest of the books. The Riddle plot and the Dumbledore’s death plot are extremely dark and serious, but the other half of the book is rather lighthearted, more so than any previous book. What makes HBP great is the way it flips so successfully from the hilarious perils of being a teenager and the horrible and frightening history of Voldemort/the more serious plot. It’s not easy to tell a story that way, but Jo does it well. If Yates does it right, then HBP should be both the funniest of the movies AND the most unnerving/saddest of the movies so far at the same time. Let’s hope he’s up to it.

As for Terry Gilliam he would be great but he’s not interested in directing a future Potter flick. He was interested in the first film but well here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Gilliam#Gilliam_and_Harry_Potter

Avatar Image says:

I really do agree with doublecore – the battle of hogwarts must be the jewel of all the films put together. That part in DH is the most intense, thrilling, desperate, sad and everything else I’ve ever read, and whoever will be directing must do that scene (and the whole book!) justice. Personally, I think Cauron screwed up some of the most important parts of PoA – the dementors, sirius and the story of harry’s patronus and the marauders.

Avatar Image says:

never head of this guy, but i hop e he’s good if he’ll direct DH and the hobbit

Avatar Image says:

oddly, I enjoy these threads—occasionally things get passionate, but generally we tend to be a bit more analytical and thoughtful about the various talents and faults of the directors, and the resulting films….

still, as we always end up agreeing, we can talk all we want, we have no real influence over who is selected and what they do…and we’ll still go to the movies, and buy the dvds when they appear!

perhaps Evanna Lynch will be able to assert more influence to ensure the story line is followed closely? After all, she is a fan “like us”

best wishes, fun discussion this….