Filming for Half-Blood Prince Set for Gloucester Cathedral

114

Jan 24, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Location filming for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is set to take place again at Gloucester Cathedral in the UK. This is Gloucester is reporting today that crews from the sixth Harry Potter film are preparing for the filming which is due to take place shortly at the noted Cathedral which has served as a backdrop in previous Harry Potter films, such as Chamber of Secrets. The paper reports that Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid), Dame Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall) and Julie Walters (Molly Weasley) are among those due to be taking part in the filming among others. While the paper does not specify when the stars are to arrive, it is possible that filming will take place within the next few days.

Readers will recalllast October we told you students from King’s School had auditioned to be extras as students of Hogwarts for Half-Blood Prince. Today, the newspaper report cites a rep from the local school in Gloucester, England who says 174 pupils will be taking part and notes “It’s so exciting for the children to be involved.Drama is a big thing at Kings, we do a stage school on Saturdays and we’ve got lots of budding actors and actresses who are benefiting from it.” Anyone who can attend the filming, please send in your reports and photos and we will post them.

59 Responses to Filming for Half-Blood Prince Set for Gloucester Cathedral

Avatar Image says:

I’m on the IMDB’s HP boards a lot, and about 2 weeks ago someone told us that the film crew were returing to the Cathedral, because they had booked an adjacent car lot (also used by this poster’s office building) from the 14th-21st of Jan. So maybe this shooting has already been done?

Avatar Image says:

I wonder what kind of scene they are going to shoot there including Molly, McGonagall and Hagrid…What do you think?

Avatar Image says:

That’s really great! It is so cool, when the places that filming is taking place, have residents who have the chance to be in it. Even if it is a “background” part…They will still have the memories of working on a Harry Potter film! For most of us, that’s something we’d jump at the chance to do…. Way to go, kids! Have a great time, for me! *D

Avatar Image says:

@Natalie: I would imagine that that would be the “hospital ward” scene, after the battle. “Charlie gets “bitten” by Greyback, and hurt pretty bad” I believe that’s where they all get the news that Dumbledore has been killed.

Avatar Image says:

I know I’ll definitely hate this film… no action,boring romance and boring choppy memories…

I am sure this scene has to do with the aftermath…Molly is supposed to be at Hogwsrts only when she visits Ron who’s been poisoned and after the battle…she may be involved in the battle but the interior scenes of the castle and the exterior ones at the grounds will be shot in Leavesden Studios so I’m pretty sure it’s the moment when Harry walks with Hagrid and the pupils look at them wondering what’s going on with the DEs and teachers and Molly will come and learn that Dumbledore is dead…

Avatar Image says:

Gee, John, why so cheerful?

Avatar Image says:

@John- this film it’s goona be the best…there is a bit of action! but the book is great and the movie wiil be too…and romance isn’t boring it’s apsolutely hilarious…but I understand-you’re a guy after all… @natalie and confederate lady-I have no idea what are they doing with mentioned people…maybe Yates changed the story-again…I hope he’ll do better this time

Avatar Image says:

lol…well…I’m a guy but that doesn’t mean that romance is not good…it’s just that we all hear about the romance in this film and almost NOTHING about all the other scenes and plotlines and I don’t think that’s good anyway… The romance in the book was moderate…sometimes it was too much in some others it was indifferent…lol…it may be just me…I may be too demanding… And the memories…cutting the Gaunts, Hebzibah and older Tom Riddle is disastrous…they’ll keep the orhpanage and Slughorn’s memory and that’s it…choppy memories and two or three brief lessons with Dumbledore… And there is few action…the cave scene is a horror-suspenseful scene not really adventurous…and the astronomy tower stuff was not that action-packed in the book actually…imagine that in OotP the action was really good and they cut it to 20 minutes with brief, fast-placed heavily FX scenes…now…this one doesn’t even have satisfactory action…imagine the whole chapters with Snape and the DEs in three minutes…I know how terrible the script and the editing is in these films…

Avatar Image says:

This is highly convenient. I only live a few miles from the Cathedral and I’m heading home for the weekend because I’ve a week before my lectures start up. I feel very inclined to stay a bit longer now. Hehe.

Avatar Image says:

Anyone know when/if they’re filming at Durham again?!

Avatar Image says:

:) that’s awesome. those kids are really lucky!

Avatar Image says:

John, I kind of see what you mean. I rememeber when I first read the book, my first instinct was “How are they going to make this a movie?” I remember a lot of fans worried about OotP being adapted, but at least there was a central plot. HBP really doesn’t have one big plot. There are several little plots that don’t come together until the very end. It works well in the book, but it could feel disjointed in the film if it’s not done right. Not to mention, the mood in this book changes drastically from chapter to chapter, and it lacks a lot of action for most of it. This could easily be the worst film or the best, which is probably why they are focusing on the comedy and romance during the slow periods.

Avatar Image says:

They must be filming the post-DD death in the Hospital wing, all the Weasleys, Hagrid, McGonagall and Lupin are there then.

Avatar Image says:

This movie is going to feel strange without Gary Oldman.

Avatar Image says:

I was so just there a few weeks ago. Maybe they are touching the doors I touched!

Avatar Image says:

Hee I’m getting excited. My friend’s an extra in it!!!

She has an outfit fitting at Kings on Wednesday I think.

I might just go and live at the Cathedral for the next few weeks, my school’s only down the road. YAY!

Avatar Image says:

Maybe they are filming both scenes? Assuming there is both scenes. I could see them presumably cutting out images of Ron in the hospital unfortunately, as long as they just alude to the fact hes there. .

Avatar Image says:

I think the movie is going to be great! I for one have something called optimisim. Besides I think we are jumping to conclusion again they didnt mention anything about a certain scene being filmed, and in the actual article they mention Helena Bonham Carter with these actors so I think they were just naming some of the people that are returning to the sixth movie. And its been said before they dont mention the dark side of the plot for the sake of the people who only go to the movies, Daniel and others have already asured us that it is going to be very dark, even darker than OOTP. So chill and just wait and see people!

Avatar Image says:

right,mollywobble… It is the strangest feel for this particular film…I mean I loved OotP and I wanted it to be a PERFECT film so I wanted perfection…It was a very good film, though…but it did not reach my expectations…

About HBP, I want it to be even better than OotP but due to the not so encouraging stuff we’ve learnt and the lack of interest I had while I was reading the book because it focused on small, unimportant plots and there was almost no action…that’s why I’m afraid it may be the worst…we’ll see

OH! In IMDB I read that HELENA BOHNAM CARTER is also in the scenes…so that means thatmy beloved Bellatrix Lestrange is going to be in the climax of the film…<3

Avatar Image says:

give me a LINK where they say that this film is EVEN darker than Ootp…

And they say Helena is going to be involved in the shooting…she’s in the climax…and I love this….because I love Carter and Bellatrix…hihi

Avatar Image says:

@ John , sadly dear nothing in this world is perfect. I cant tell you how to live your life but I do know that if you go around expecting everything to be perfect and to your own expectations then by all means and without a doubt you will be let down. ALL book to film adaptations are missing plot points I have never seen one that is perfectly like the book, remember that the Harry Potter books are extremely complex so that makes them even harder.

Avatar Image says:

@Becca: Perhaps you can get your friend to discuss her experiences as an extra with us?

I thnk its great that every effort had been made to include local children (and adults?) in the films. Sure, its good marketing, but also i think the effort shows genuine concern about including as many as possible in the HP éxperiemnt”...sort of a collective national experience that people will talk about for decades.

Avatar Image says:

Yup, if she won’t, then I will!

Although they have had to sign a form saying they wont disclose information so I will get as much as is possible.

YAY!

Avatar Image says:

Maybe this is after Dumbledore dies and Harry is running after Snape and Draco. I can see having Dan run through the battle and Hagrid, McGonagall, and Mrs. Weasley are all fighting off the death eaters there. They probably modified the scene to have Bellatrix there maybe on the tower that way for the movie people, they sort of see a familiar face and can take out an unknown death eater that was there or something. I don’t care because I love Helena Bonham Carter so if Yates and the crew switched around something towards the end where she gets to be in it, I am fine with that. That’s the only part of the book I can see those 4 characters being in the castle at the same time unless they added in a new scene not in the book.

erica,I agree…

Bellasnape,you are right…I know that nothing is perfect…and I know that the book had many problems…the film with cutting even more and probably sticking to romance…then I don’t expect anything that great… Nobody is perfect…and nothing is perfect…OotP was a very good film…I was satisfied. But I don’t know about this one…I don’t want to see a perfect film…cuz there is no one…but I expect to see a satisfactory film…

i’m still waiting for the link of the interview where they said that this film is EVEN darker, though…LoL! Then I will definitely be more optimistic about it…!cuz I always hear about the romance…and Lavender…and Quidditch…

Avatar Image says:

well i for one love this book and everyother book i know the movie is going to be great and it was bill that got bittin by the wearwolf so hey if you al are true harry potter fans stop complaning a bout it ou starting to irrate me i love harry potter and what about the book if they dont like the book then why make a movie a bout it it is a grat book i love itLOVE IT LOVE IT lol sorry if i mad all of you guys mad just in a bad mood lol

Avatar Image says:

HBP is my favorite book in the series. I can imagine that it will be a difficult screenplay because it really is a series of self-contained (but related) short stories. I would expect WB to use movie known Death Eaters rather than casting new people for the Carrows and trying to introduce them. Everybody already knows who Lucius and Bellatrix are in the movies and nobody got sent to Azkaban at the end of the OotP movie.

Also, HBP is so chock full of Dumbledore. I really don’t expect much from this movie as I don’t feel that Michael Gambon effectively captures the spirit of Dumbledore. But, he is getting better. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly suprised…

Avatar Image says:

It’s going to be a fantastic movie: action, romance, and comedy. Something for everybody!

@shara-CHILL OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

we all love Harry Potter to….and we suport books and films…we are all fans!!!!right?

and all films are great…and HBP and DH are goona be the best

we’re just sharing our thoughts on this site…because it’s the best HP site on the planet!!! thanks leaky

Avatar Image says:

@John: Don’t worry, I don’t think there’ll be nearly as much romance as you’re imagining. The reason everyone associated with the movie talks so much about the romance is because, well, frankly, there’s a very high level of interest in the romances. YOU may not be interested (which is certainly your right), but quite a lot of people ARE intensely interested (which is also their right). The actors and filmmakers know this, and so they tell us about filming kissing scenes, etc, to keep people excited about the movie. But just because they talk about it a lot doesn’t mean it’s going to be the central plot of the movie, or that any of the action-adventure scenes will be sacrificed.

In a way, this kind of reminds me of the media frenzy about Luna/Evanna while OotP was being filmed. There was SO MUCH talk about her that I was beginning to become a little worried – as much as I like Luna, I didn’t want OotP to become “The Luna Lovegood Show”, and would have been very disappointed if it had (cuz, yes, Luna is great, but you know, there are some other characters named Harry, Ron, and Hermione who are still rather important, and a couple others named Neville Longbottom and Ginny Weasley who also step into the spotlight a tad in OotP ::eyeroll::). But then I saw the movie, and lo and behold, Luna wasn’t even in it that much.

I think something similar will happen with the romance in HBP. We’ll hear lots and lots about it, because the WB knows there is a high level of interest, but it’s certainly not going to be the central part of the movie. It will play more of a part than in the other films, probably (which only makes sense, as book!HBP has more romance in it than any of the others), but it won’t take over the film.

Wow, I didn’t mean to talk so long about this. Sorry I was so gabby.

Avatar Image says:

i don’t care how close they came to the books as long as Daniel Radcliffe contiunes to play Harry Potter. because he is the best actor in the world and no one can play the part of harry better then him. good job Dan keep it up. your the reason i watch harry potter so much!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

@John- Don’t worry it will still be an excellent film packed with lots of action. That is so cool about all those kids getting to be apart of the movie please Becca do tell us as much as you can. I also think that the scene will be after the battle but where is Emma and Rupert on the list of people to be involved in that scene, I would think that they would have the complete trio in the hospital scene.

Avatar Image says:

Thought this was cool. Harry Potter!

Avatar Image says:

shooting’s not till feb… takes a lot of prep work!

Avatar Image says:

John, I agree with you. I hope there is not so much romance, and there is more action. I mean, I hope there is a lot Harry&Ginny, because this is about Harry Potter, so it wouldn’t make sense if we don’t see the development of Harry’s relationship with his future wife. But I think things like Laverder&Ron are pointless, I would prefer them to include Lupin&Tonks or Fleur&Bill.

But don’t worry, because on the other hand we know there will be action and mistery. I remember Dan talking about Horcruxes and the cave scene for example. And the scenes you call “choppy”, I think that if Yates do them right, they can be very interesting. I’ve always found Voldemort’s past very interesting…

We know they filmed Slughorn’s party, and I don’t see the point of including that scene.. there are more important scenes like when Harry obtains Slughorn’s memory. I hope they didn’t change it, making those scenes only one…

So I agree I would prefer to see new things like the Gaunts,Helga Hufflepuff etc instead of Quidditch, which we’ve already seen, but I guess we won’t really know what they included until we watch the movie.

For example, this scene they will be filming there, I don’t know what scene could be. Maybe you all are right ans it is the scene after Dumbledore died. But I don’t remember Molly being exactly there… she was inside. Maybe the paper doesn’t really know who will be there, we’ll have to wait and see!

Avatar Image says:

Do any of you remember Dan saying that Slughorns tradgedy will outweigh his humer, and he also said that at the middle to end of the movie the HBP gets even darker than OOTP ever was, is it just me or is that dropping some big hints that we will see alot of dark stuff, but of course if you have read the book you know that they are hiding the dark behind the romance to suprise movie only goers. Like my dad has no idea what happens until he sees the movies, Ha ha his loss!

Avatar Image says:

@ Potterfan, the party is significant because it shows the scene when Snape finally finds out that Harry has the Half blood prince( his) potions book, also that is when Draco almost gets himself caught. It has already been confirmed that the Gaunts, muggle prime minister and, Hepzibah Smith are cut out of the film. Some of the characters might get moved around for the sake of the scene- we will have to wait-n-see!!!

Avatar Image says:

They’re probably filming the scene in the astronomy tower if you ask me :)

Avatar Image says:

john, man, i’m with you… i thought the romance bits were a drag in the book…

Avatar Image says:

I hope you guys are way wrong!!! i would absolutly hate it if this was the worst movie. I agree with john that there isnt really any action, but it should be funny watching Rupert snog whoever Lavender is!!! i REALLY hope it turns out well though….

And I and SOOOO jealous of the people who get to be in the movie. Why dont they ever want Americans for British movies?? lol

Avatar Image says:

Unless there is another article people are referring to other than the one above, there is no mention of HB Carter being at this particular shoot, only previous mention of her being in the film. Sure, they might decide to use her for the climax as well, but remember Bellatrix’s key role in this book is only at the very beginning. The “Spinner’s End” chapter is one of the best of the entire series, so I will be disappointed if they cut that.

I am looking forward to this film. There’s plenty of fun stuff going on despite Harry’s world becoming more and more dire as Scrimgeour takes over and Voldemort begin his “public works.” I think the romance and Quidditch are important in reminding us that life goes on in the school (and during war). Harry is, after all, a 16 year old boy. As serious as his life is, I love it that he had more typical concerns and worries in the book to counterbalance the Voldemort stressors. While this might not be the most adventurous, the amount of tension in the cave scene, on the rooftop, and through to that final confrontation between Harry and Snape should be delicious if they do it correctly.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t mind them cutting plot points like hepzibah smith and the gaunts, but I do wonder how they will explane the locations and identities of the horcruxes. Hmm… I guess the’ll figure out a way.

Avatar Image says:

I wish we could get some on-the-scene photos like we did from Lacock. That was nice and really helped keep the excitement going. But everyone is probably working away inside the cathedral anyway, so there’s probably not that much to photograph.

Avatar Image says:

I dont recall them outright saying that Hephzibah and the gaunts were cut. They were merely not on the list released. There is still hope yet for those roles.

Avatar Image says:

wishful thinking but WB did say those characters are out. How can some of you already say this movie this movie is already going to be terrible, if you have to think that negatively go somewhere else. You dont know that – in fact it goes the other direction, they keep getting better! If you listen to someone outside of your head you’ll know that people have already said that there will be plenty of action and darkness to the film its not a romance novel, they arent going to tell the dark parts out loud because they give away alot of spoilers.

Avatar Image says:

Maybe I will like this film if Tom Felton gets the screene time that he is supose to.

Avatar Image says:

Er, I’m pretty unimpressed with Tom Felton’s acting, so I kinda hope they downplay him a bit. They can’t TOO much, of course, since Draco has a pretty pivotal role in HBP, but the less we see of Mr. Felton’s hammy overacting, the better, I say.

Avatar Image says:

I am surprised that there is so little appreciation for the comedy in HBP. The idea of Ron responding to Ginny’s taunts by rolling about with Lavender is, well, rather funny. I have this mental image of them lolling on the floor in a lip lock, limbs flying, looking absolutely ridiculous (and then him hiding from her later when he doesn’t have the guts to break it off). And can’t you just picture Harry running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to hide the potions book? This is quite comical and should be a great deal of fun on the screen in an otherwise dark story.

I didn’t get interested in this series until book 7 came out (then went back and read the entire series), and I am quite impressed with how well it is written. But not having read the books before seeing any of the first 5 movies, I can tell you that the movies only made a lot more sense after reading the books. They have to do a movie that can stand on its own merits becuase many people won’t have read the book – so unfortunately that means “hollywood-izing” the story.

I thought OOTP was not well paced – so far the best paced movie was #3, although I confess to a secret fondness for COS – the kids were learning to act a bit but still had that sweet prepubertal innocence, and the adults were still just having a rollicking good time before they realized these were “serious” movies.

Avatar Image says:

The main theme in HBP is Dumbledore preparing Harry for his task ahead. He further reveals important info about the Dark Lord’s history through memory flashbacks, Horcruxes come into the story, Harry tries to learn to shut out V. Know your enemy! Snape is made Defense against the Dark Arts teacher for that purpose, as well. His old text-book annotations give the book its name! Slughorn was brought back to teach potions, because he was the best there was, next to Severus. And is so funny, to boot. And he loved Harry, in spite of the Slyverin connection. Then the big news of Draco now a death eater, and Harry’s spying on his activities which weaves throughout like a ribbon.

Dumbledore has a lot to do. His death is a big shock.  Leaves Harry, the chosen one for sure, full of doubt and sorrow, and confusion and fear throughout the entire Magic world.

A formidable task for any film maker and if OOTP was compromised, this one will be too. The comedy will be played up, but no quidditch again? Darn! In fact the toad-like Umbridge was the best part Order! setting in motion Dumbledore’s Army. There should have been two parts to that one, and HBP too, and it seems they have deciding on two parts to DH. Yates gave us half a picture, and with his take on things, we will get another.

Lets face it. Movies are not books. As much as we love the side-plot themes and details, we are talking about two different media and what works for one, may not work for the other. Each has its rules and limitations. Won’t we all see it again and again no matter what?

Avatar Image says:

As a life-long bookworm it broke my heart when my neice passed on the offer to read “The Secret Garden” by saying “I saw the video”.

One of the best lessons of the HP movie experience is helping another generation to see that the richness of the written word can never be duplicated in a two hour movie! The movie is a couple of hours of entertainment. A book grabs your soul for the rest of your life.

I really enjoyed the LOTR movies, but even the Director’s Cut extended DVD version pales in comparison to reading the books for the first time in my college dorm, getting snowed in for 3 days during the blizzard of 1978 when I finished the second book and couldn’t find anyone who had the third (had to wait literally days for the roads and stores to re-open thinking Frodo was dead and not knowing what was about to happen next,,,,)

But if they’re going to shoot the seventh movie in two parts, I hope they borrow a page from LOTR and film them all at once even if they space the release – soon it will be hard to pass off a 25 year old Radcliff and Evans as fresh faced 17 and 16 year olds, especially now that Radcliff is accepting adult roles (Dan Eaton).

Avatar Image says:

Hello confounded, I was the same way as you, although I read the whole series before I saw OoTP in theatres. But I refused to watch any of the HP movies before then, because I didn’t understand what was going on. All of the movies have been “choppy” and they vary drastically in style and location from one to the next. Once I read all of the books I developed a fondness for the movies, because I could sit there and pick out what was missing, what they switched around, and understand Harry’s inner psyche so to speak. Anyways, if everyone is thinking that HBP will be drastically different from the other movies I don’t see it. I see a two-part DH being more like the book. I think HBP will be very enjoyable, emotional, and perhaps this movie will drop more hints about what will be included or excluded from the filming of DH *hint hint Mundungus Fletcher. Even though I agree with John that the romance of HBP threw me off it was like the calm before the storm of the Lightning Struck Tower that really set the pace for DH. And it shows how Harry normally interacts within his world without the presence of Voldemort, OoTP, but that he is also more primed for recognizing danger then the others, such as Draco, which again is a DH primer.

Anyways, Felix rules, I hope they keep it!!

Avatar Image says:

Also to confunded, my brother and sister who are a fair bit younger then I am, about a ten year age gap, I had to read them the books at night. Once I started using it as a bed-time tool they were hooked, but before then they refused to read them. Now they are both reading a variety of other books, my brother for instance picked up Moby Dick, and my sister is reading chapter books with her American Girl collection. They are about 10 and 6, so I don’t know how well a teenager would take being read to, but if it matters to you that much, night-time reading worked for me.

Avatar Image says:

It’s so hard for me to get excited about this movie. I’m trying not to gear myself up for a let down. I’m not one of those people that is overly crytical about movies. I watch them and enjoy them for what they are. I saw Goblet 5 TIMES at the movies. But Pheonix is my favorite book and I was SO excited about the movie and it was such a dissapointment. They just took everything that makes it magical out and just totally watered it down. I would even dare say it was…boring. Sorry for all of you that enjoyed it. If you did that’s great. I just think they could’ve done better in writing it. I’m just so worried they are going to do the same to this wonderful book.

Avatar Image says:

Natalie: It must be the hospital wing scene. Though I dont understand where in the heck everyone else is? Mabey there individual scenes with Harry being shot. But Molly and Harry outside the cathedral…that puzzles me.

Iyamjody:

I agree about the writers “watering” down the plot. What ticks me off is they can give Lord of the Rings such detail, not to mention all the time in the world, to gaurentee they give the books enough respect to do it justice. WB’s has it in their heads that Harry Potter appeals mainly to children, that they must keep it “watered down” and “time limited.” Im 30 years old, a Mum of 3 young boys and Im one of the biggest HP fans around! When I went to see OotP, 5 times in the theater, 95% were adults every single time. Nothing more ticks me off as a HP fan then the blatant stupidity WB has when it comes to the time limitation on the movies. So much, TOO much, gets left out and as you put it, the magic gets lost.

Avatar Image says:

Hi everyone, we, Swedish family of four, are going to London Saturday. jippey ! plan to visit some or as many HP filming locations as possible. Happy if anyone of you could comment if it is worth going to Gloucester over the day to perhaps be able to have a glance of the filming of HBP? Would be a great memory and moment. Thanks all for charing information ! / a

Avatar Image says:

omg I hated OotP!! This movie i am begging it to be good! HBP is one of my favorite books and if they downplay ANY of it i will freaking kill Yates!! While I admit OotP was as dark as it should be, so many important, funny, awkward, cute, necesary, and anything-else moments were cut out!! Ahem…NEVILLE!! and what about that scene from the penseive? While that part was OK in the movies, I was really quite upset!! and one of my favorite H/G scenes, the chocolate egg scene was CUT OUT!!! i really liked that scene because it shows that it doesn’t take much to get harry to open up to Ginny even in the darkest of times. What a great scene for non-book readers to see a bit of H/G. OotP was so…rushed!!! The movie reminded me of the books the first time, but when i really watched it, i fully realized how much they left out. I really, REALLY hope that HBP is worth watching as opposed to OotP. As discussed on last weeks Pottercast, does anyone have guesses as to what the actors are filming there? I think the battle but i dunno…

Avatar Image says:

Hi, I’m an italian girl. I would like to know which are the locations for the latest film “Harry Potter and the half blood prince”. Thank you!

Avatar Image says:

Hi. Check out a few pics and video from filming at Gloucester Cathedral in this new BBC Gloucestershire feature: http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/content/articles/2008/02/05/harry_potter_2008_video_feature.shtml

Write a Reply or Comment