J. K. Rowling Set to Receive James Joyce Award

100

Feb 11, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling is set to receive another honor in the form of the James Joyce Award from the Literary and Historical Society at the University College Dublin in Ireland. The event is set to take place Tuesday, February 12th and we hope to have more information on the presentation shortly. The Literary and Historical Society is the college’s oldest society which includes over 4,500 enrolled members and a debate team. Previous recipients of this award include comedians Eddie Izzard, Will Ferrell and Rory Bremner. Congratulations Jo!

Thanks to Nazrine!

24 Responses to J. K. Rowling Set to Receive James Joyce Award

Oh, yay! Wow! Great job, JKR! _ That sounds like a very nice award. nod

Yay!! Jo Rox!

Avatar Image says:

LOL, so didn’t mean for the last word to get crossed out on that comment!

Avatar Image says:

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! more awards for Jo.yayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!congrats to most brilliant women!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Poor Jo, even if she did want to write, her schedule to pick up awards this year is extensive. She probably wouldn’t mind a flying broom at this point. You’ve earned it Jo, but you also have earned a well deserved break!

Avatar Image says:

It´s amazing how money can buy honor.

Avatar Image says:

Yay, and I go to UCD and I’ll be there tomorrow night!! WAHOO!

Avatar Image says:

Emma- have a great time =D Take pictures!!

And secunda, something positive to say as ever =) TALENT gets honour.

Avatar Image says:

Perfectly well deserved. Bravo! Jo.

Congrats!

Avatar Image says:

wooo! I love this piece of news because i’m from Dublin and UCD is only like a 30 minute drive from my house hehe. Man i wish i wasn’t working tomorrow i’d try and go see it :(

Avatar Image says:

Yayy!!!! It really is raining awards for Jo, she deservs every bit and more!! Congrats Jo!!

Avatar Image says:

she doesn´t or many other authors of children literature deserve awards, too. Harry Potter is maybe not as bad as I see it now, but it is definitly not as good as all those award giving organizations pretend to believe.

Cogratz JO.

Avatar Image says:

Hi Jules from Accio Quote here.

Plea For Mercy! I cant tell you how frustrating this is. Even though I am the only AQ staffer in Ireland and live less than three miles from UCD and was a student there, I cant go to the interview because I am no longer a student and therefore no longer have L&H Membership. I also have other things on tonight. If any of you manage to get quotes, footage, pictures or even a general report on the event, please send them to Leaky’s sister site accioquote@gmail.com.

Avatar Image says:

Secunda- First let’s look at the readership and fandom of JKR and her works. Please advise what other children’s author has inspired a generation to simply read in a fashion that JKR and her Harry have? This type of inspiration and motivation to read is legendary and it should be rewarded. Jo deserves ALL the accolades any organization bestows upon her. I am sure there are other writers who have received awards such as these; however this is JO’s YEAR! By the way, you are on a website devoted to her. You are more apt to see a new report for JKR’s achievements here than any other place. If you are interested in people receiving awards because they are more wealthy than talented, please check out sites devoted to the Oscars or Grammy’s. Hollywood is full of spoiled, socialite brats. Ms. Rowling is not one of those people. To all others sorry for the vehemence, I felt compelled to defend Jo, not that she needs it, when there are SO MANY others where that type of remark would be appropriately directed.

Avatar Image says:

woooww, that means she is considered an equal to James Joyce? Must I put my HP books on the same shelf as Ulysses and Finnagan’s Wake? They do read a bit more easy then Ulysses.that took me three months, the whole HP serie added up a week.

That is a grand honor….. next step Nobel prize.

Avatar Image says:

James Joyce is a graduate of University College Dublin, and was an active member of the L&H, who gave the award to JKR. I was at the event, despite studying at a rival university – ahem! Recording equipment and that was prohibited but I can send a report along if people want… No new canon info, alas – the questions weren’t particularly ‘new’!

Avatar Image says:

Dear Another Muggle, I thought this site is about discussing the Harry Potter phenomenon. I can assure you that the majority of german teenagers/children have never read or will ever read Harry Potter. And i doubt that the situation in other countries differs. Maybe in the US Harry Potter had a great inpact. But what about Russia e.g. As far as I know Harry Potter has not been a great success there ( and to remind you Russia is big!).

As a teenager I read the Books by Wolfgang and Heike Hohlbein. Despite the fact that thy are written in German they are similar in structure, style and the topics they cover to the HP series. There are definitly less mistakes in those books. But did this talented couple get hyped like Jo? Even if it is true that millions of young people have read Harry Potter you have to take into consideration that they had never been so much PR for any other childrens`book. So kids would not know about them. An aquaintance of mine called it “occupying of minds”. harry potter has been everywhere in every stinking magazine newspaper and television show. That costs money and scholastic is rich. All this hyping started when scholastic took over and of course WB. Of course Bloomsbury played their part, creating the myth of the 500 copies sold the first week. And Jo herself who constantly is repeating that she dislikes to give interviews but nevertheless has given a lot interviews lately. Many rare interviews.

I don´t complain that I see a report about honors Jo receives. I just show my reaction to the fact that she receives such honors.

Avatar Image says:

Yep I was there… it was great! I am trying to remember all the questions…

Avatar Image says:

Did she sign any autographs??

Secunda,

Don’t insult us with your baseless assumptions, please. I agree that there are many, MANY other people that should be awarded for their work, but creating fibs and spouting prejudiced views is not going to convince many people that Rowling and HP are not worthy of awards—especially not here. :P

Avatar Image says:

Excuse me, when did i spout any prejudiced views. I present you with facts dear. Mind, this is a question not a “baseless assumption”.

Why do you think i want to convince anybody? And why do you feel insulted when I criticize Joanne Rowling? Is she a part of your personality? Any crisis in identity here?
Avatar Image says:

oops sweeties, you seem to be lucky, this post was distorted by my compy. nevertheless I hope you can fit it together. for clearance: The question is : Do you feel like Jo is a part of you, Agahnim?

Write a Reply or Comment