Presenting…LeakyCon 2009!

Feb 12, 2008

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

We’re thrilled to announce that we’ve taken on a new venture at Leaky and it’s one that will bring together fans from all over the world: the first-ever LeakyCon is coming to Boston in 2009!

This conference, a celebration of the HP series and our time as fans, will serve to aid two charities: Book Aid International, a literacy organization for whom we have raised more than $60,000 in the past few years, and the flourishing HP Alliance, a charity whose aim is to help Harry Potter fans find their voice and use the messages of the books to do good in the world.

Mark May 21 to 24, 2009 on your calendar, because those four days are going to be full of great activities, discussions, podcasts, panels, parties, and more, all celebrating the HP canon and our love of it. Plans are still in the early stages, so you can expect updates here often about how to register, how to get our cheap hotel room rate, and how to become involved.

On that topic, we’re already looking for volunteers: If you want to join the LeakyCon team and be part of a group of people who are having a blast as they plan a conference like no other, email [email protected].

In the meantime, bookmark LeakyCon.com and mark your calendars!

See you there!

89 Responses to Presenting…LeakyCon 2009!

OMG! MEGA SQUEEEE!!!

1st woo hoo

Avatar Image says:

OH MY GOD. This is FANTASTIC!! I’m gonna finally need to get my butt to this one!

OMG!! This is gonna be the best thing ever!! SQUEE!!!!! I can’t wait

This…is…freaking…Awesome! Can’t wait!!!

Avatar Image says:

after this…the next leaky con should totally be in Milwaukee

OMG, nice Melissa :D

Avatar Image says:

Wow! finally a conference close enough that I may be able to go to. I”m more excited for this than HBP movie!!!! YEA BABY!

WHOOOOOTTT!!!! :D

YAY!!!

Avatar Image says:

OH MY. I so need to participate in this.

Avatar Image says:

You cannot imagine the squee-ing going on here! _ Way to go guys! I’m def. volunteering, if I can. This is going to be a blast!

Avatar Image says:

OMG I’M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

WAAAAAH!!!!! TT_TT Why the EAST COAST Melissa?!!! WHY?!!! Why not the west coast for once??!!!! sigh I’d absolutely love to go, but I know my chances of going are less than zero… >.< well that just ruined my night…

Avatar Image says:

Squeee! This forty-something from South Africa will be there as her birthday present to herself! Wooot!

Avatar Image says:

Ahhh… soooo satisfying! w00t for LeakyCon 2009!!! Cannot wait to go… :)

Avatar Image says:

Wow!! Great news Melissa!!

Avatar Image says:

YES!! Finally something close enough for me to go to! I’ll Definitely be there!

Avatar Image says:

SO PSYCHED! I’m already blocking out the dates!

Avatar Image says:

This is going to be an odd comment, because going to this would just be totally awesome for me. But I live in Alaska and happen to have my last day of my high school senior year on May 21, 2009. So even if I can go I’d be missing some time(and my school usually has finals on the last 2 days of school, I think it’s different for seniors but I can’t remember at the moment). So my actual question is, for anyone who decided to read through my woes, is that is this the first of Leaky conventions, or is it a one time only thing, I know I saw at least one person so far wishing for a west coast convention, so not sure if they would do more in the future in more areas. Please don’t see this as me being greedy wanted conventions all over the place since I’m sure it will be a lot of work, I just simply want to know if there’s the possibility that Leaky will do more after this( if it’s a success I assume).

Avatar Image says:

Noooooo! I’ll be in the middle of my A Levels (NEWTS). That’s such a shame. Have an amazing time, everyone.

Avatar Image says:

Cool idea. But I have to admit it would be even better if it was in England.

Avatar Image says:

No chance… it’s in school time for people living in the UK.

D=

Avatar Image says:

Well, this is lovely. Except for me living in Sweden and probably not being able to attend because of protective parents and travel issues. Still though, it’s so good that you’re doing this. Conventions always bring life to the fandom wherever you are and we’ll all get to hear the podcasts and stuff afterwards. :) So congrats to all who can attend! I really hope you’ll get an awesome time! :D

Avatar Image says:

Jeeze, I want to go but… How far is Boston from Bowling Green?!

Avatar Image says:

This is awesome I’m a little sad that I won’t be able to go but extremely happy for Leaky and the people that will be there. I will be graduating high school about a week or so after that so that will probably be around the time I will be taking finals. Here’s hoping that this one runs as smoothly as possible so that it will not be the last one leaky hosts.

Avatar Image says:

Yay! I’m glad this is finally announced.

I’ll definitely be there, of course.

Avatar Image says:

I imagine Melissa’s book would have been released by then so more to discuss about at the con ;) 2009 will be enough time for me to save up to come to Boston from London. But wait I want to also go to Florida for the HP Theme Park – isnt that opening the same year? Need to check the older post now…

Avatar Image says:

reads the rest of the comments

Rosianna! <3 Poor you. That sucks. sigh

I guess I’m lucky in that I’m done with uni now.

Avatar Image says:

Umm, that should have read:

"Rosiana heart. Poor you! sigh"

...as I spam the comments. Sorry.

Avatar Image says:

Darn. I think school’s still gonna be going on for me.

Avatar Image says:

I live in the U.S. and my school will definitely still be in session.

...this sucks.

Avatar Image says:

This is such exciting news. I will be there!

Avatar Image says:

ZOMG! I am going no matter what. Parents will not get in the way…

Avatar Image says:

Just an FYI for all of you in the US….it’s Memorial Day weekend. I know school’s still in session, but it’s a holiday weekend. Perhaps that will help a bit? :-)

Avatar Image says:

Yes, I’ll be able to go to this because I’ll be 18 in January 2009! I’m so excited! :D :D :D

Avatar Image says:

Hahaha – I just freaked out for a second because I thought “omg… I can’t go! I have finals!” but then I realized that I graduate college THIS YEAR leaving next year wide open!

Avatar Image says:

Two trips to Boston in two years for HP! I am going in June with my fingers crossed for a Harvard ticket, and now this!

Avatar Image says:

Umm, Melissa? Do you ever sleep? Holy socks: you’ve got about 75 irons in the fire.

Seriously, how much coffee are you drinking these days? :o)

Avatar Image says:

WOO!!! What an amazing birthday present!!!!! : )

I can’t freakin’ wait!

Avatar Image says:

Squee! This is AWESOME! I wish I knew if I was going to be in school, but then again this might just be worth skipping classes for!

Avatar Image says:

Ahh, This is so exciting!!! I really wish I could go, but my mom would never let me miss school for it. :(

Avatar Image says:

That sounds aweome!!! I’d love to go, but I’ll probably have exams at the time :(

But I’m sure, everyone who’s going will have an awesome time! A LeakyCon sound like the most amazing kind of Con everone could dream of :)

Avatar Image says:

Would love to come (and in Boston too, one of my favourite cities) ... but I’m in Cape Town and it’s awfully far and expensive without international portkeys on offer.

Avatar Image says:

Wooo! I’m going to save up so I can go!

Avatar Image says:

WOW!!!!! This is wicked, I’m planning a trip to the US next June, am definately going a couple of weeks earlier now.

Avatar Image says:

Ok, this seems amazing. I’ve always wanted to go to Boston, and this might be the chance I’ve been waiting for!

YE-AH!

Wait a sec.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I’ll still be in school by then and I live in Russia which complicates the airfare matter. I won’t be back in the States until late June!

Next LeakyCon is going to be in the summertime, right?

Avatar Image says:

I’m deffinately saving my galleons for this, so far I haven’t been to any potter conventions, so I’m definately going to shoot for this one. I’ve never been to Boston, so next May will be a good opportunity to go.

Avatar Image says:

SQUEEEEE! Finally, something I can actually go to! I can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

Um crap. Finally a conference is happening in Boston, and it’s during school.

Avatar Image says:

Memorial Day weekend, loves. Memorial Day weekend.

Avatar Image says:

oooh this is wonderful! I live in Toronto and I wanted to see Boston again and this is the perfect reason! i just hope exams are done by the 21st.

Avatar Image says:

Makes noise similar to the one Melissa made in the Deathly Hallows release date PotterCast special THAT IS INDESCRIBABLY AMAZING!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I would so go but I’m going on a school trip to Europe next year. Maybe the next one.

Avatar Image says:

Hmm, not close to where I live, but I’m excited ?! :)

Avatar Image says:

finally a convention i can actually go to!! thank you soo much

Avatar Image says:

Great! I mostly go to conferences to meet up with my Leaky friends anyway. Boston is fabulous, especially in May, and I can’t wait to get back there again! Thanks!

too…excited…can’t…speak

guys. i like 10 minutes outside of boston.

holy-poop-in-my-pants. words just won’t cut it right now.

when can i register for this baby?

Avatar Image says:

My grandma lives in Boston! I’m sure she’ll let me skip school and crash at her place, right?

Avatar Image says:

If this were a few weeks later, I could go with my high-school age daughter—we’d have a blast! The timing is impossible for us since school is still in session and we have to travel from Oregon. Sounds like fun, though.

Avatar Image says:

Janie, please realize that it is over a weekend and Memorial Day is the 25th, so people might have school off for that. I will probably have school too, but this really is a once-in-a-lifetime event!

Avatar Image says:

Congrats Leaky, I bet this will be a blast! Only problem is that its scheduled over the weekend of my bridal shower, and I think my mom would kill me if I tried to reschedule for a HP conference. Figures….first time a conference is within a few hr drive of PA…. eventually I will get to one. Maybe.

Avatar Image says:

Already talked to my mom!!

I’M GOING!! WHAT MORE CAN A GIRL ASK FOR??!!

Avatar Image says:

ok, so we all know how much JKR loves Leaky… and she is speaking at the Harvard graduation on the 27th (just a couple days after Leaky Con), so do you think there is a chance that she might visit the Con? I really can’t afford to go, but if she is going to be there, that might be my only chance to ever see her. I WOULD FIND A WAY!!!!

Melissa… I know you don’t like to lie to us, so you don’t have to answer, but is there the smallest iota of a chance she might show??

Avatar Image says:

I WILL BE THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EXCELLENT.

If there is anything I can do from NYC to help – please let me know.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to share my beloved Beantown with everyone! We’re going to have SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

OMG. Awesome. Unfortunately, it’s guarenteed I’ll have school and there’s no way I can miss classes around finals time…but I will so be following this online – if only it were on the west coast…ah, well. If there’s one, more will follow. Great news!

Avatar Image says:

Woo-hoo! I’m so going to try to go!

I’m going to Portus this year. Hope to you see lots of you there!

LOL: A few things:

Mrs. deMimsy-Porpington: This one is not my fire. :) I have almost no organizational responsibility here, that’s all the entire crew at LeakyCon headed by MJ and Stephanie. They are doing AMAZING work. So yell at them for having no time to sleep. :)

caroline: Jo is speaking at Harvard THIS May, not in 2009, if I’m not mistaken. And you know she is more than welcome at the con but we haven’t got as far as inviting people yet. LOL. One thing at a TIME.

Also, everyone: This is Memorial Day Weekend – we specifically chose the date to give time from other conferences, and changed our date from June because of Sectus, which has since been cancelled, but unfortunately after our contract was signed for May. Colleges in the US should be out, at least most of them, and those who aren’t in school were going to have to use vacation time anyway. So hopefully we picked a weekend that’ll be OK with y’all.

The intent to attend forms are heating up. Once we open registration you should get yours QUICK because damn, people are excited. Woo hoo! :)

Avatar Image says:

did someone named piper actually comment this? bc thats my name..and there arent many of us.. omg yayyy!! <33333 best weekend of my life

Avatar Image says:

OMG!! Finally something I can attend because it’s near me!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

This would probably be the greatest thing EVER if it weren’t smack in the middle of prom/graduation/exam season..

Avatar Image says:

I’ve gotta figure out how to get to Boston next year.

Avatar Image says:

:) Yeah! This is right in my back yard! I can’t wait! Thanks TLC for having the con in Boston! I can’t wait!

And thanks for the volunteer email address – I already sent an email to the help address on the site before I saw the alternate one listed here!

{{marking my calendar – time off from work}}

GP! :)

Avatar Image says:

I will have just graduated with my degree in journalism! What perfect timing, Just after school and just before they start sending me the bills for loans :) so going and so volunteering. Squee!

Avatar Image says:

Darn, I would love to go because Boston isn’t far from New York State but that’s Senior week at my college :(

Avatar Image says:

BRING POTTERCAST TO MILWAUKEE!!!

Avatar Image says:

That sounds great, but that’s about when I’ll be graduating high school, so I won’t be able to go. :(

Avatar Image says:

WE’RE GONNA TEAR THAT PLACE APART!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Man.. I’m like 1300 miles away from Boston… Oh well, maybe by May 2009 I can save for plane tickets, hotel accomodations, leakycon cost, and some pocket and souvenir money. Who knows? I might hit the lotto by then! lol

Avatar Image says:

I already signed up! FINALLY, A POTTER CONVENTION IN MY HOMETOWN! THANK YOU LEAKY!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

yay!! I’ll be there for sure. It’ll be my first one!! So happy a convention is coming to Boston!

Avatar Image says:

Sounds totally awesome! I hope I can make it to this. I have plenty of time to plan it out…

Avatar Image says:

Ugh, no!! I get out of school on the 21st, but I live in Phoenix so I wouldn’t get there until late that night or the next day!

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!!!! NO WAY!!!!!!! SQEEEEEEE!!!!! Thanks sooooo much Melissa!!!! I was bummed that I couldn’t go to Terminus because of the cost of the flight, but Boston is within a 20 minute drive of my house!!!!!!! YAY!!!!

Avatar Image says:

You should do next years at Universal Studios in FL where they are builiding Hogwarts. That would be amazing!!! Goodluck guys!!

Avatar Image says:

This is great!!!!!! SQUEE!!!!! Hopefully I can convince by mom to drive me Oakville to Boston!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says: I've love to go to this, but I've already bought my ticket for Anime Boston 2009 as have all my friends who also want to go to Leakycon, is there any way this date can be changed???

Write a Reply or Comment