553 First Edition Harry Potter Books Up for Auction

113

Feb 17, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

While many Harry Potter fans have several copies of the beloved books in various forms and languages, one fan is selling his rather impressive collection: all 553 first edition copies in 63 languages to be exact. The Times reports tonight that a 33 year old Harry Potter fan who began collecting the first edition novels in a variety of languages back in 2002 will be auctioning off his entire collection on February 28. Bloomsbury Auctions who will be conducting the sale, says “No one has ever amassed such a collection of international editions. There’s no auction precedent for it.” The highly coveted first editions of the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling are expected to sell for at least £40,000. UPDATE: The Mirror is reporting that the fan, Tim Toone, has copies of the books including editions in “Braille, Latin and Ancient Greek versions – and there is even a first edition of The Philosopher’s Stone in the obscure language of West Frisian from Holland. Copies were sent to him from countries including India, China and the Faroe Islands and it took nine calls to a publisher in India to get every first edition in Gujarati, Hindi, Malayalam and Urdu.The most Mr Toone spent on a book was £4,500. Spookily, the only book missing – a promotional copy of The Chamber of Secrets – is so rare experts doubt it actually exists.”

48 Responses to 553 First Edition Harry Potter Books Up for Auction

Avatar Image says:

Anyone willing to loan me $80,000?

Avatar Image says:

Wowsa! Amazing, and I just have 8 HP books total, maybe I should start collecting? :)

Wow he is crazy i think he can sell that copies for more than £40,000

Wow :)

that would be about 72 pounds per book

Avatar Image says:

OK, I love HP as much as the next crazy fan, but WHAT could one possibly do with 553 Harry Potter books??? Yikes!

anyone want to lend me £40,000? :p

that’s awesome, though… wow, i can’t even imagine having that many books.

Avatar Image says:

There goes my college fund… :D That would be so cool. You could build a huuuuge HP library! Wow. If only I had money. sigh

Avatar Image says:

wow, And my mum thought I was crazy for wanting 2 separate copies of each book for her and me :D

Avatar Image says:

Haha and I though I was bad having the books in english, french, and latin…. Apparently not… I’ll need to learn a couple (and by that, at least 60) new languages!

Avatar Image says:

I’m collecting them in all languages as well; unfortunately my collection is far less impressive with only 44 books so far.

If I ever manage to get to 500+, I’m not sure $80,000 would be enough to make me part with them.

Avatar Image says:

^^ Same here. I only have 42 though:) I collect them because I love them…I could never sell them!

Avatar Image says:

Let’s see… these books or Stanford. Tough choice!

Avatar Image says:

why would you sell that sort of collection??? i mean what is the point of building up such a massive collection and then selling it??? someone punch this guy in the head.

Avatar Image says:

WHY OH WHY would someone want to sell such an awesome collection !I ‘m almost sure a true HP fan wouldn’t want to sell it on the other hand I would love to buy it !=) and by the way has any one got the persian set of HP?

Avatar Image says:

If only I was a millionnaire…sighs But I want to ask the same question as others here, why is he selling it???

Avatar Image says:

I’m curious is to why he is selling it?? I would not want to part with my Harry!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, add me to the list of people who would never sell the collection! I’d probably just use that $80,000 to buy more Harry Potter stuff anyway, LOL.

Avatar Image says:

I presume that he has decided that he is passed Harry Potter books now, which is such a shame as I have the same passion for Harry Potter books as I did when I first began reading them 9 years ago in 1999. Either that or he is in debt from buying the books and now needs the money. I think a Harry Potter library is a great idea. Someone should write to JKRowling and ask if they are going to have one in the Harry Potter World being currently built – it would contain every different kind of Harry Potter in every language it would be so cool! I wish I had £40,000 just to use like that, but like others I am certain that they will probably achieve over £100,000 if not more anyway. Congratulations to who ever buys them as it is a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Avatar Image says:

Very impressive, it certainly takes dedication. My measly collection consists of English, Bulgarian and PS in Welsh. It would be even cooler if some of the money was donated to charity

Avatar Image says:

WOW! I hardly convinced my mom to give me 200 kuna(35$) for last HP book!!!

Avatar Image says:

God, I’d love to have that many Harry Potter books! If I had the money, I would buy them. But then again, if I was rich, i would build an extra room unto my house and set up a HP shrine. I can dream though! I guess I will repeat the obvious and say: Why the Hell would anyone sell a collection like that!

Avatar Image says:

I think even Jo doesn’t have such an impressive collection… heheheh

What goes through someone’s head to decide to buy all these books?... I wish I had thought of it. :P

Avatar Image says:

And I’m here just with my seven editions in Brazilian Portuguese and British Deathly Hallows. It’s not fair! But someday I’ll be rich, and you’ll see…haha

Avatar Image says:

lol why you need so much books of harry potter in different languages, do the dont say all the same things?xD

Avatar Image says:

That was my idea. I was going to be him in 20 years but not missing that one book and having them all signed by JK Rowling but never selling them.

Avatar Image says:

Hmm…. anyone else think that we should all put pur pennies together and make a bid? and give the books to contributers? Please? lol It would be like bidding for that index card with the words from OotP on it oh so many years ago…. But we’re gonna win this time!!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t suppose £40,000 equals about $10 in US money does it? Yeah… didn’t think so.

Avatar Image says:

I am very happy with my own ‘first editions’ – not all of them are real first editions, but to me they are the first, for they are the first place I read about Harry’s adventures and that’s enough to me! Who needs all that fancy first edition stuff for all that money? To me it’s what I’ve been through with the book itself that’s important. Sort of my seven little wands… ;-)

Avatar Image says:

man i bet this book will be insanely expensive i mean if i could buy it i would put it in a glass case or probably sell it that would be awesome!!!

Avatar Image says:

WOW. they must weigh a lot.

Avatar Image says:

I feel kind of lame, I only have 6 (my stupid brother won’t let me have his copy of GoF, even though he doesn’t like HP anymore.)

Avatar Image says:

This is cummpleetleee off topic, but I love how all of us harry potter fans are loyal to J.K. Rowling and the books itself. I adore this. Thank you, all loyal Harry Potter people. Long live Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling!!!

Avatar Image says:

@ E of Nevermore, Yeah. Me too.

Avatar Image says:

It’s amazing – 553 first edition Harry Potter books in 63 languages ! I’m from Poland and I collect world’s edition of Harry Potter – I have HP in polish, english (UK), english (USA), french, german, chinese, japanese, ukrainian, russian, italian, spanish, swedish, latin, irish and norwegian. I’m waiting for editions in czech, slovak and urdu :-) Best wishes !

Avatar Image says:

I luv a lot of books, shown from my name(hehe). Harry Potter is so cool. No wonder the books will sell for so much.

Avatar Image says:

What is “obscure” about Frisian? I would assume that especially native speakers of English would know more about the roots of their own language. BIg surprise… Frisian acounts for a large chunk of YOUR grammar and vocab. Sorry, but I really had to vent about this one. Seemed very narrow-minded to me, anyways.

Avatar Image says:

What would you do with all those books? I love HP as much as the next person but if I had 80,000 there would be no way I would by over 5 hundred HP books! Maybe if I was a billionaire! However if I had all those books I would defo sell them, as long as I have every book in the series thats all I need (in fact I think in all honesty thats all most people need).

Avatar Image says:

I agree with the sentiments of many – why collect then sell? A cynical ‘cash in now’ perhaps?

And no, Lutece, Frisian is not obscure. No more than Galician, anyway (I have PoA in Galician – my brother speaks it so he gave it to me for Christmas!) – and I gave PS to my niece’s fiance in Welsh…. And I have a few in German, the set in French, another in LA Spanish ….. But they’re not even published in Scottish Gaelic, so Frisian is hardly obscure!! (Shame on the publishers, that’s what I say – how will I ever improve my Gaelic without HP?)

Hahaha, I like the comment about that edition of CoS…xD

Avatar Image says:

Holy cow! I certainly hope a museum or something of the sort decides to purchase the collection.

Avatar Image says:

And I thought there was something wrong with me buying 2 copies of every release from GOF on (I got hooked after POA).

I want the UK version of Philosopher’s Stone. Does anyone know how to get one without having to go to the UK?

I think $80,000 is low.

Avatar Image says:

that´s paradise for a linguist! oh what a way to learn all those languages!

But why is a fan like that auctoning off this rare collection. Is he sick of Harry Potter? Wonder why?

Avatar Image says:

Oh my god 553 copies of Harry Potter. Amazing!

I only have 1-7 in German 1-7 in English and Book 5 with the Adult cover. If I had 553 copies of the Harry Potter Book i would not sell them. Ever!

Greetings from Switzerland to all the Harry Potter Fans out there.

Sibylle

Avatar Image says:

I started reading HP when I was 12, in (holy cow) 1998 (before Chamber and Azkaban were even out). I think if I had asked my parents, upon each release of the books, to purchase each book in every language possible, I would have been laughed at.

Though I think it’s a killer idea. I’m striving for a first edition of my very favorite book of all time (it’s non HP so I won’t go there)... but its so crazy expensive. I love the idea of it though. I have first editions of HP 3-7 I just need to find first editions of HP 1 and 2 and I’m goooold.

Avatar Image says:

I wonder what country that COS Promo book was from? I would like to hear more about that!

Avatar Image says: casino-arabic.com - Try your Luck! Over $2 Billion in Real Money! 13 Millionen Games! The Fun must go on!Avatar Image says: casino-arabic.com -Try your luck online! The most quality and popular casino. Keno, Baccarat, Red Dog, Solitaire and many other games.

Write a Reply or Comment