123

Feb 17, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Earlier this week, there was some news regarding the rumor regarding Steven Spielberg as a possible director for the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows movie as actor Dan Radcliffe addressed this at the recent BAFTA awards. Apparently Dan was asked about this on the red carpet, and he is reported to have replied “It’s absolute rubbish that Spielberg is directing the final film. It’s not true. There’s absolutely no foundation in that at all. I have no idea how that rumor started or where it came from. It’s not true. How’s that for a definitive answer?”

48 Responses to Rumor Update: Radcliffe Shoots Down Reports on Spielberg as Possible “Deathly Hallows” Director

Avatar Image says:

Awww… It would have been awesome though!

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for that answer! I know Spielberg is a great director, but I couldn’t stand the tought that he would direct HP! It wouldn’t be right..

Avatar Image says:

If Alfonso Cauron directs it I’ll boycott it.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t know Daniel Radcliffe was privy to director negotiation info.

Avatar Image says:

Spielberg is a fantastic director, but just isn’t right for Harry Potter. I personally am 100% team Alfonso :D Though I think there’s no doubt that it will be Yates who finishes off the series.

Avatar Image says:

@amy: If Yates makes another mistakes (like he did with OOTP) he won’t be in DH. GO ALFONSO!!!

Avatar Image says:

Okay, don’t know what happened up there but I was just saying that seeing as how Dan would have to work a lot ! with whatever director is chosen, he is more likely to be given a heads up. That said, Dan has misled us before and not said anything, and he knows he cannot spill the beans until WB is good and ready. Stopping gossip however is another thing.

The other thing is that WB is not likely to pay Spielberg the kind of money he would demand as they don’t really need him. The HP set has been described as a well oiled machine and a young, less experienced but fresher director would be well backed up.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t know there was even a rumour! I remember there was fanciful thinking of him directing and also Peter Jackson. It would have been great if Spielberg directed. Jaws is my all-time greatest movie. If Spielberg can be the master he was then, we would have a great Deathly Hallows. But anyway, I like all the directors we had so far, so anyone of them is cool with me, yes even Christopher Columbus!!! Shyamalan was also in contention, wasnt he? Is he still?

Avatar Image says:

I am not sure how this fits in with the BAFTAs, but as Steven is no longer doing the Olympics because of Darfur, I would imagine it has occurred to more than one journalist that this frees him up for the Harry Potter movies. I suspect however that Dan’s answer means that either someone else is slated to direct, or he expects to know soon after someone is picked and before it is made public.

Avatar Image says:

I dont care who directs DH as long as it is not that horrible director Alfonso Cauron. He is the worse director ever and he would make DH not even worth seeing.

Avatar Image says:

Alfonso Cauron is the worse director of all time he needs to quit.

I can not wait for Hp

Yay Dan.

Avatar Image says:

Alfonso is the worse dir of all time man he’s bad.

yea

Avatar Image says:

Something suspicious about some of the last few comments, methinks!...Same person perhaps??? Ones bashng Alfonso :) I think he was a refreshing change but I think maybe not my first pref for Deathly Hallows.

Avatar Image says:

I think alfonso should do it. I thought the 3rd hp was the best directed.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Amy S. Spielberg is a great director but not right for the HP series. I loved AC but expect that Yates will finish things off. Then again…if they split the last book into 2 movies it might be a bit too much for him to take on after completing the two previous movies.

Avatar Image says:

my vote goes to Alfanso. He did amazing on #3 and it is my fave of all five. I watch it all the time!!! if yates does it I will be soooo angry!!!Go Alfanso!!!

Spielberg…Spielberg…Spielberg.

Hmmmmmmmm where have I heard that name before????

“Thinking VERY VERY hard”

Ooohhhh yeah…wasn´t he the guy who wanted to make Harry Potter into an animated feature (shiver) with Haley -I see dead people-Joel Osment (double shiver)

Avatar Image says:

Yates! Pick YAtes again!!! If he cannot do it, go back to Alfonso. They would be best, I think. I wasn’t much a fan of Newell’s adaptation of Goblet of Fire and though I loved what Columbus did with the early ones, I think his style suits only the younger, more innocent books/films.

Avatar Image says:

Oh. Good. That’s a pleasant surprise. I thought he’d be in the running at least.

Avatar Image says:

I’m beginning to feel as if I don’t want to read any more interviews or quotes from Dan. Lately, it seems that the more he talks, the less I like him. He used to be very polite and enthusiastic and humble and endearing, but now… I don’t know… it’s not so much WHAT he says as HOW he says it; he just comes off as abrupt and arrogant and sometimes even rude(ish). I can’t quite put my finger on it, but he just seems to have this attitude lately that doesn’t set well with me. But I suppose that’s all part of his growing up in the glare of the spotlight. Still, I miss the nice, humble, engaging guy he used to be. :(

As for the director: I’m glad it won’t be Spielberg. I want Yates back for DH. But if it’s Cuaron, I probably won’t even bother to see the movie, as I thought PoA was an enormous disappointment in almost every way. I’m truly surprised by all those who have posted to say that YATES SUCKS AND CUARON RULES ZOMG!!! Honestly, every Potter fan (save for one person) I know, both online and in real life, thought that OotP was the BEST of the movies so far, and PoA was the WORST. I don’t want Mr. Cuaron anywhere near DH, thanks very much.

Avatar Image says:

You know what this means, don’t you? Think about that statement from Dan Radcliffe for a moment – would he say that if he didn’t know the director was already chosen? No, he couldn’t have. So this means that the name of the director is about to be revealed to the public soon.

About Stephen Spielberg – I would’ve welcomed him for directing DH, but I don’t think it’s the right film for him. That is, I don’t think he’d take the job. I mean, it’s a great film franchise and all that, but not very original anymore after six previous movies, or really challenging for a director of Spielberg’s format. He’s done that and been there before. I can’t see why he should be interested in directing DH from his personal artistic point of view.

Avatar Image says:

Personally, I wouldn’t mind Alfonso back again, though Yates did a great job with OotP! But if they split DH into two, it might give room for both Alfonso and Yates, those two have been the best so far…

GO ALFONSO!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Personally I wasnt that keen on Alfonso, I enjoyed but just didnt think his style suited a Harry Potter movie. I also would have been pleased with Spielberg as he has surely proven he is a great director (ie he’s not likely to mess it up) but still im not sure the HP films would suit his style. However for Radcliffe to make a comment like that it is likely that he is aware who the director will be, or at least who they’ve got in mind. I was suprised tho that he could possibly no such information yet.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope what Dan says is true! I cannot stand the thought of Spielberg directing any HP, because of what I read about him and PS, walking out when his suggestions didn’t please JK. So I don’t think he deserves the chance.

Avatar Image says:

My favorite two movies of the franchise were Goblet and Phoenix. Both were directed by British directors who captured the Britishness of the books. I like Speilberg’s movies but I don’t think he would capture the spirit of the books.

Avatar Image says:

TO ALL PEOPLE WHO ARE AGAINST ALFONSO!

I agree that Yates is a wonderful director and OOTP is really good film but I didn’t feel any connection with the book!!! And we liked OOTP because they are older and visual effects were stunning!

And Alfonso!!! he’s wonderful director and he did the best job so far! the book POA isn’t so tense and even J.K.Rowling said that it was the easiest to write(that’s why maybe you don’t like the film). Besides Jo loves Alfonsos work. And he would be brilliant as director for DH!

GO ALFONSO!

Avatar Image says:

Cuaron’s going to get the gig. Good news for people who love movies and Potter, bad news for people who don’t get either.

Avatar Image says:

When did this become the Alfonso hate club?

Come on people, if you don’t appreciate a certain style of direction that’s your opinion, but there’s no need to completely slate someone just because what he/she does is not to your taste. It’s not good or bad taste, just different taste.

Obviously there are some people from the House of Slytherin here.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, and on a personal note, I totally endorse Alfonso. The films will never be word for word translations of the books. You have to find the essence.

Alfonso is good at essence. In my opinion. Woo, etc.

Avatar Image says:

Alfonso RUINED the 3rd movie! It is my favorite book and my least fav movie. PLEASE do not let him any where near the set.

Hah! Rubbish indeed!

That’s tellin’ them Dan!

OMT

Avatar Image says:

PoA was my favorite book, And Alfonso completely ruined it he made it look like such a third rate movie. He made it it look so cheap, but still manage to spend 50 million dolliars. Bring back Yates or anyone else besides Alfonso, so the real fans will be happy.

Avatar Image says:

Funny, people either love Cuaron, or they hate him. Apparently there is no middle ground. Well, I’m one of the lovers. Bring back Alfonso anyday!

Avatar Image says:

I wouldn’t mind having Cuaron back. I suppose I’m in the minority, though. I didn’t really like PoA as a book… but I loved the movie.

The director should be Cuaron or Tim Burton

Avatar Image says:

POA is my favourite book and my favourite movie. Cuaron did a fabulous job, IMHO. I do like what Yates did with OOTP, and it is my second favourite movie so far, though if I had to choose between the two of them, I much prefer Cuaron’s much more artistic style.

Avatar Image says:

I love the cynicism that a person born in México brings to movies. In my personal opinion, Alfonso Cuarón did so well with Azkaban. He combined the right mixture of humor and darkness needed for a storyline that will increase in its gloom. So, obviously, that puts me on “Team Cuarón”...

Avatar Image says:

When did this become the Alfonso hate club?

Er… when did it become the Alfonso Adoration Society? I’ve seen far more posters here go absolutely over-the-top in their gushing about Cuaron, than I’ve seen posters who say they don’t want him back. And even those who’ve said they don’t want Cuaron to direct DH haven’t attacked him personally, they’ve merely said they didn’t like the way he handled PoA and don’t want him to come back for DH.

I’m one of those who doesn’t want Cuaron back. I don’t think I’ve ever been as disappointed in a movie as much as I was in PoA. The film LOOKED great, but it was completely devoid of any emotional impact, imo. All of the relationships (including the trio’s friendship) felt forced and insincere. And though I love Hermione, she was in her most supremely, thoroughly, utterly irritating Super-Hermione-mode during the last third of the movie. In fact, she was so spectacularly annoying that I almost couldn’t stand to watch her (and that’s saying something, because I’m a HUGE Hermione fan). I didn’t enjoy the film at all.

OotP had its flaws as a film, but I felt that, for the first time, an HP movie was being made by someone who understood the story. It’s the only one of the movies so far that has, imo, successfully captured the spirit of the book.

::WAVES DAVID YATES BANNER::

Avatar Image says:

alfonso cauron for DH! wished he was the director for HBP too. i think he did the best directing on a harry potter film so far.

Avatar Image says:

If Dan had said that on the Jonathan Ross Show, JR would undoubtedly have responded “So that’s a Yes, then!”

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad to get a definitive answer, but it’s really weird, that doesn’t sound like Dan to me. But that’s probably just me.

Avatar Image says:

Finally, someone’s gotten rid of one rumour.. there’s too many!

Cheers, Dan.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for the update on the rumour Dan :)

He did seem rather angry when he answered it but I’m probably wrong about that – reading it is a lot different than hearing it, hehe.

Avatar Image says:

I think Dan was just saying that in frustration to constant questions about things he has no idea about. He probably got fed up of telling reporters he is not privy to the info.

Write a Reply or Comment