Regulus Rises

Feb 21, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

This isn’t a piece of Harry Potter news per se, but just as we heard from the mysterious R.A.B (now known as Regulus Black) in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, so too will Regulus be bright tonight during the Lunar eclipse. Readers will recall of course that the Black family has a tradition of naming children after their heavenly counterparts. As CNN notes Jack Horkheimer, host of the PBS show “Star Gazer, is calling the event tonight “the moon, the lord of the rings and heart of the lion eclipse.” As the moonlight dims – it won’t go totally dark – Saturn and Regulus will pop out and sandwich the moon. Regulus is the brightest star in the constellation Leo. You can learn more about the mysterious red moon rising and the eclipse tonight here via Astronomy.com.

Oh and a word of caution for mindless Muggles and vigilant wizards alike: Beware of Werewolves! ;)

39 Responses to Regulus Rises

Avatar Image says:

How neat is that! I didn’t know that Saturn was going to be visible as well. Very cool. Nice way to end the post, Sue!

Avatar Image says:

Hehehe, I love you Sue!! Thanks for the post! Professor Trelawney would be proud!

Avatar Image says:

This is a crazy night for space and Astronomy. What with the solar eclipse and the satilite (sp?) thats going to be shot down!!!

Excuse me, Lunar

Haha how awesome. :D

Avatar Image says:

Great post, Sue! I’m watching the eclipse as it happens, and now I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for Regulus. :)

Avatar Image says:

It’s cloudy where I live. It will keep the werewolves quiet though!

Avatar Image says:

I miss harry potter way too much.

I will keep my eye out for Regulus! :D

Avatar Image says:

Stupid clouds…I can’t see much right now. Going out to wait and see if it gets better.

Avatar Image says:

Haha, this news post made my day! I’ll be sure to watch out for werewolves.

Avatar Image says:

As a bonus, I heard that if you have a telescope you can see Saturn’s rings! I wish I had a nice collapsable one …

Avatar Image says:

Yea I was worried cuz it was snowing and it was cloudy an hour ago. I went outside and the sky cleared up and the moon is all orange!!! Awesome!!!

Avatar Image says:

We were all set to go to the local observatory tonight to watch the show and wouldn’t you know, clouds. As we live in metro Phoenix, this is really not a very common problem; about 9 out of 10 evenings are clear enough to see the stars even with the city lights.

Avatar Image says:

Couldn’t see the eclipse tonight because 1. building blocks my view, 2. it’s -1^ F with negative windchill. I’ll be watching it on the news or a website. Would have been nice to see it live—-just have to wait a couple of years.

Thanks for posting, Sue.

Avatar Image says:

i can see it it looks amazazing!!!!!!!!! “awoooooohhh” (wolf noise)

Avatar Image says:

Alison, I’m in Phoenix too! I can’t believe it’s cloudy tonight of all nights!! Sigh…

Avatar Image says:

It looks so awesome! Thanks Sue!

Avatar Image says:

My friend is having a baby tonight!!! Shes naming it Adriana. I told her to name it Luna after the eclipse. She didn’t go for it.

Avatar Image says:

Yea now its going away, by the way, I live in Pittsburgh and for some miracle all the clouds had gone away. I heard that now people might be able to see the falling satellite in the coming hours, kinda like a shooting star!!!

I echo you mollywobbles93! he-he…I’m a Leo…:D Stupid coulds

Avatar Image says:

Of course I am always wary of those werewolves. looks both directions

Avatar Image says:

Some of the perks of working at a science museum is that, since it was Universal Harry Potter Day, I got to dress up, and we had a huge Lunar Eclipse party with telescopes and everything. Saw Saturn, Mars, the moon, Regulus and Sirius! Awesome night!

Avatar Image says:

Brilliant little post Sue. The eclipse was amazing…as was Regulus!

: )

Avatar Image says:

I’m gutted that I missed the eclipse, it was so cloudy last night, it was 3am here and I can’t see the moon from my window so I didn’t bother getting up & going outside!

Avatar Image says:

I loved the red moon yesterday night, shame I don’t have a good camera so I couldn’t take good pics of it :(

Avatar Image says:

Well! Bloody Drat!!!!! It was overcast and rainy all day yesterday and last night and I missed it!!! :-P I am so bummed! I knew it was happening and I was really looking forward to it! Now I am going to have to wait for two years ‘til the next one.

I know I will be able to see pictures online but, it is still not the same.

Avatar Image says:

Regulus is the brightest star in LEO? Hmmm … thats ironic.

Darn… I missed it

Avatar Image says:

It was at 4 a.m. where we live… so we passed.

Avatar Image says:

Dang, im on break i cud have seen it… I didnt know about it, i havent checked harry potter news for a week cuz i didnt have internet- i was at a hotel =[ But i love astronomy and constellations, so next time i’ll be out there with deathly hallows and a flashlight, occasionally watching the stars =] And yeah, its weird that that star is in a lion. Did you know that the star “sirius” is in the constellation “Orion”? Yeah, Orion is this cool greek giant bloke.

Excellent post, Sue! :-D

Avatar Image says:

“Regulus is the brightest star in LEO? Hmmm … thats ironic.”

I was just going to say that. Very symbolic! Should Regulus have been in Gryffindor?

Avatar Image says:

i remember hearing on the radio about Regulus, and wanting to look for it but i forgot :(

lol ily Sue! ... No wonder it was red. XD

Avatar Image says:

hahah! how ironic… regulus (slytherin): the brightest star in the constelation Leo (lion;gryffindor) !!! it was absolutely beautiful btw!

Avatar Image says:

That must be why Regulus saw the light and tried to make things right in the end. It was written in the stars. Incidentally, how much light remained of the moon depended on from where you were viewing. Here in Portand, OR, it completely disappeared (the reflected light) leaving an orange-red orb that looked like a bloody omen.

Avatar Image says:

that is pretty cool. I never new that Sirius was a star either until I was playing a game a few weeks ago in my elementary school. It was a question about names of stars and they said sirius so I told my friend and she said it was awesome. I wonder if Bellatrix is a star. I’ll come back and post the answer.

Avatar Image says:

Yep. I looked on ask.com and it says it is!

Write a Reply or Comment