Radcliffe, Shaw, Smith Win Theater Awards

122

Feb 22, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Congratulations are in order tonight for several members of the Harry Potter films for their work on the British stage. The annual Whatsonstage.com Theatregoers’ Choice Award winners have now been announced, with actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) winning the “London Newcomer of the Year” for his performance in the play Equus. Equus was also named “Best Play -Revival” and the “AKA Theatre Event of the Year,” which involved Dan Radcliffe’s publicity photos for the play.

UPDATEThanks to Julie who let us know Dan remarked on learning of his win for these awards: “I’m truly delighted to have won this prestigious award and thank you so much to everyone at Whatsonstage.com for voting for me. Equus is a tremendous and thought-provoking play, and I’m so proud and honoured to have been a part of this incredible production. Thank you to Peter Shaffer, Thea Sharrock, Richard Griffiths, David Pugh, Dafydd Rogers and Barbara Houseman for having faith in me ’ playing the role of Alan Strang will remain one of the greatest experiences of my life.”

In other awards, Dame Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall) took top acting honors as Best Actress in a Play for her work in “The Lady from Dubuque” at the Theatre Royal Haymarket,” and Fiona Shaw (Aunt Petunia) won the “Best Solo Performance” award for her performance in “Happy Days” at the NT Lyttelton. The Whatsonstage awards will be presented at the Lyric theater in London, England this Sunday, February 24. Congratulations!

38 Responses to Radcliffe, Shaw, Smith Win Theater Awards

Congratulations!!

Avatar Image says:

I voted for all the things Equus was up for- congrats Dan! Your hotness deserves its own award!

Woot. Congrats all, specially Daniel! :D

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations! to Daniel! BRAVO!! and congrat’s to the play’s win as well.

Also,Congratulations to Maggie Smith and Fionna Shaw .

congrats!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to our two fine actress, Dame Maggie Smith, and Fiona Shaw, and special congratulations to Dan for his splendid launch into serious theatre work.

Avatar Image says:

That is fantastic, well done everyone! Of course Maggie and Fiona are old hands so their awards are no real surprise, but I’m so glad Dan won the Newcomer, against very stiff competition from Leanne Jones. He really deserved to win an award for Equus.

Avatar Image says:

I saw Equus with my Mum and, although I’m not normally a big fan of Dan (in HP anyway) , I thought his performance was really good. I was pleasently suprised. I think he suits theatre work, he should definately do more. And to do a play like Equus, well, takes some guts!

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to all of the “Harry Potter” actors” :) but, a special “well done” to Daniel. You already have proven to all, that there is “life” after the Harry Potter series :)

Avatar Image says:

Fantastic news! Thanks Sue! This proves the HP movies have the best actors in all the UK! I’m specially proud of our Daniel, it was his first play and he did a brilliant work. There is no other young actor in the UK who is so versatile to have done films, tv and theatre already. Congratulations to everyone!

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations all around, but especially to Dan and his enormous fan base! I think it’s great that Dan has won the award after all his hard work. Radcliffe Rocks! :D

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to all winners!! And special congrats to Dan!! He deserved this award so much… He was brilliant as Alan Strang and I am so happy to see recognition for his excellent job. I am so proud of him that I am getting all emotional. Way to go, Dan!!! Looking forward to your next project. I am sure you will blow us away once more!

Avatar Image says:

Yup, there are talented people in the HP movies _ congratulation to all the winners!

Avatar Image says:

Hehe, is it me or are the Harry Potetr actors filling up their awards cabinet latly! hehe! CONGRATS TOO ALL OF THEM! HP Fandom rules (H) xoxo

Avatar Image says:

I voted for Dan. Enjoyed the play Equus, also enjoyed Maggie’s play too. Saw it the night before Dan gave his last night performance in Equus. Maggie’s play the 8th June, Daniels last performance 9th June.

Val Honey Canada.

Avatar Image says:

Maggie Smith is so fantastic. It’s a shame she doesn’t get to do more in the films, but that’s partly Jo’s fault for not making McGonagall more integral to the plot!! Hopefully she’ll still get the great moment where she’s fighting Snape and commanding the suits of armour in DH!

Avatar Image says:

To all who have seen Equus: Is Dan’s….erm…..you know…..is it SEXY?

Avatar Image says:

The books are about Harry Potter not Professor McGonagull—there is just the right amount of her to support the main character in the story.Steve Kloves writes the screen play to incorperate the characters into the story-if he doesn’t write more of her in it than it is his fault ,not Jo Rowling’s.The part Maggie Smith portrays in the films is a supporting roleas are ALL the adult roleswhich she apparently has not problem withas she should notgetting a chance to just act is what all good actors should want not the size of the part or where it is to be played[tv,stage,or films]

BRAVO! again to all the winners.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

So kids, the moral of the story is: Public nudity will make your life successful.

...No, really, it will.

?

Avatar Image says:

no David, it could have gone pear shaped and then… catastrophe! Hence it was a brave decision that earned a lot of respect from people in the business, especially since he also proved the nay sayers wrong.

Avatar Image says:

Actually, David, if you’re referring to Dan, playing a boy with magical powers will make you successful.

Congratulations to all three on their artistic successes.

Avatar Image says:

It proves the point that the HP films have some of the best actors in the world. Congratulations to all the winners, and especially to the HP casting crew.

Avatar Image says:

Very well said Anne and Bebe.

I want to add:

So kids, the moral of the story is: If you have talent, work very hard to learn your craft properly, if you are brave and take advantage of good opportunities when they appear in your life, then you have a good chance to lead a successful life.

Avatar Image says:

Totally deserved! Dan’s performance was absolutely unbelievable (though I never doubted that), let alone this choice! Congraz to everyone! David, sry, but you obviously don’t know what you’re talking about!

Avatar Image says:

Woo! Congrats to everyone! I’m really excited for Equus to hit the States in the fall. I’ll be returning to the East Coast for my brother’s wedding and plan on taking a detour to NYC to see Equus on Broadway! (Hey, who knows, maybe I can trick the girls into making it the bachelorette party adventure…)

Congrats to all! I’ve loved Dame Maggie since I was a wee little one and I saw Hook for the first time. She definitely deserves any award she receives and I think Fiona Shaw is simply brilliant.

Avatar Image says:

Dan is really hot. Equus, Kipling, December Boys HARRY POTTER…he played them so well. Congratulations Harry Potter, Prof. McGonoggal and Aunt Petunia . Can’t wait for Equus to come to Broadway.

Avatar Image says:

“Public nudity will get you attention, granted, but it will NOT make your life successful. That’s just silly.”

Double thumbs up, Caroline! Lots of actors and so called “performers” stripped off but only 1 out of 20 succeeds. Anyway, congrats to Dan for a well deserved award. I’d have wanted him to win a Sir Lawrence Olivier award but I guess that’s a little too soon. Hope he attends the ceremony so we can have new Dan pics!

Congrats!

Avatar Image says:

Congrats to my sexy boyfriend for winning “sexiest guy of the year”- I’m talkin’ to you, Dan!

Avatar Image says:

Yay! Congrats to all of them! especially Dan. I can’t wait for Equus to come to Broadway!

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to all who won,,,but a special one to someone who I just love and respect so much, Daniel Jacob Radcliffe. He had better get himself a special awards shelf for he will win many, I predict. I am very proud and happy for him. And to Dame Maggie and Fiona Shaw,, a well done too. But, Dan, you are the greatest. Love you a lot.

Avatar Image says:

Well, we should be getting more pictures of him in a few hours- the show starts 730 their time. I hope dan attends the presentation, I need my fix! Well done, Dan . Well deserved.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations to them all for winning!

Avatar Image says:

hi dani,i am ahmed.iam 23years old.iam a student in the university.dani,i tried alaways to draw your attention through my messages in order to contact you.but it seems that i failed because i could not even find your e_mail.though be sure that ahmed from algeria wish you alaways a good luck in your personal life an in your job as well.

Avatar Image says:

ahmed..You can´t contact Dan via his e-mail (He doesn´t give it away)...If you want to write to him, you have to use ordinary mail. You can find two adresses at the following link, where you can write to him.

good luck

Avatar Image says:

Dan Radcliffe does deserve this award for his acting in Equus! I am glad he is acknowledged for it – I saw the production in London and it made me hope that he will continue to get challenging and diversified roles in the future!

Maggie Smith – why not just give her an award for being Maggie Smith? I have enjoyed her performances over the years. If she just happens to transform her award into a Owl, well then – she can display it in her classroom at Hogwarts, as long as it’s quiet!

I am also glad Fiona Shaw was acknowledged for her work in “Happy Days”. I wanted to see Deborah Warner’s production but hopefully some of these theatrical performances will wind up on DVD, or broadcast on TV.

Write a Reply or Comment