Dan Radcliffe Attends Theater Awards in London

120

Feb 25, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Previously we told you a number of actors from the Harry Potter films were winners at the annual Theatregoers’ Choice Awards. Those awards were formally presented tonight in London, with actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) in attendance. Dan was a winner for his performance in “Equus,” with Dame Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall) and Fiona Shaw (Aunt Petunia) also winners for their work on the British stage. For a full list of winners, please click here. At the event tonight, Dan said “I’m truly delighted and thank everyone so much for voting for me. Equus is a tremendous and thought-provoking play and I’m so proud and honoured to have been a part of this incredible production.” You can see early photos of Dan at this event here in our galleries, also here via Getty Images.

Also, as reported previously , actress Fiona Shaw was to be honored at a special event held before the Academy Awards in Los Angles. You can see new photos of Fiona receiving her award from the Oscar Wilde: Honoring the Irish in Film” event here in our image galleries.

Congratulations to all!

54 Responses to Dan Radcliffe Attends Theater Awards in London

awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Yay!! Congrats you guys!!!! Especially Dan, he must be stoked, he took a big gamble taking on that part but he did better than anyone thought!!!

Congrats, everyone!

Congrats Dan ! :) He looks good. xD

Avatar Image says:

Congrats Dan! You deserve everything!

Avatar Image says:

He should always wear dark coloured shirts. They work better with his skin tone rather than white.

WOW!! GOOD JOB DAN

Avatar Image says:

Congrats, Dan! You deserved it :)

Congrats to Dan!

And, um, to change the subject to a different awards ceremony… The New York Times article on tonight’s red-carpet fashion at the Oscars included an unexpected reference to Dobby:

Kind of an ouch for Tilda Swinton. Then again, now that she has a little gold man in her hand, I bet she’s taking it all in stride.

Avatar Image says:

Personally I thought Tilda Swinton’s dress was interesting and futuristic. I love that she’s always daring and inventive in her choice of attire. And the person who wrote that article disliked Marion Cotillard’s gown, which I found absolutely stunning… Tastes differ.

Avatar Image says:

Ponette, I agree: tastes differ. And there’s enough monotony on the red carpet that it’s refreshing when people do something unexpected. So, cheers to Tilda.

And regardless of what the reporter intended, being compared to Dobby is something to be proud of!

Avatar Image says:

I know it’s off topic but I agree Ponette. Marion Cotillard’s gown was absolutely stunning and she was the belle of the ball. She deserved to win.

Tilda is not going to turn up in a normal strapless straight to the ground dress like all the other American actresses do (cough Emmy Rosum cough). Tilda is daring in her choices and should be celebrated for stepping outside the box.

Anyway yay again for the HP winners

Congrats to everyone!

Avatar Image says:

awww, Dan looks kind of bashful in the photos. Would have been nice to see Maggie Smith there too.

Congrats to Fiona Shaw also. I read up on her as I’d never seen her stage work and she seems one incredible stage actress, described as one of the most ‘mesmerizing’ actresses of the stage.

Avatar Image says:

Yay! Dan! He looks soooo cute in his suit. I love the black on black. I haven’t seen Equus, but I’m sure Dan was excellent in it and he definitely deserved that award. The same goes for the other actors.

Avatar Image says:

“People are reporting that Dan was kissed by the Male presenter! lol I can’t wait to see this!”

I know. Oh my God! The presenter was James Corden. Can’t wait to see a pic of that (if we do get to see one).

Avatar Image says:

Way the go Dan!!! You were pure perfect in Equus!!!

Avatar Image says:

this was from the wos discussion boards:

“Highlights of the awards were James Corden taking the mickey out of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s brown leather jacket after he had collected the award for Best Musical Revival and for him then snogging Daniel Radcliffe when he come on stage to collect his two awards. Daniel played along brilliantly, although it took him a few moments to recover.”

Avatar Image says:

VIDEO online with interviews with Dan and Peter Schaffer and shows the kissing (to tumultuous applause!). You need to watch the whole video as they keep cropping up.

also article says Dan was a surprise attendant and he commented after the snog that he had a Madonna and Britney flashback.

damned run on.

If the link doesn’t work try www.whatsonstage.com and look in the righthand menu for Latest news ‘Radcliffe rides to inaugural awards show’.

Avatar Image says:

WOW! congrats to all! Dan looked perfect in Equus! I want him like that in HP!!! It would be very sexy : ) ....... or his hair like in the 3rd film. sweet dude….

Avatar Image says:

wow!!!! saw the kiss, it went on for a long time!!!!!! Dan is so hot that peole just can’t keep their hands off him!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I wish i was that guy that kissed Dan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Flipping heck! That was legendary. Dan’s such a good sport.

Avatar Image says:

Also Peter Schaeffer discusses Dan and the challenge involved in doing Equus-cool!

Avatar Image says:

The kiss lasts for ages! It was so awkward. I would have been so flustered if I was Dan.

That kiss was hot! Thanks for the link Anne :]

Avatar Image says:

I can’t find a video of the kiss but that is hysterical!

Avatar Image says:

Nevermind about my last comment. I hadn’t scrolled the page down far enough to see the video. I really suck at surfing the internet, hah. ;)

ANYWAY, that was awesome! I love how Dan is completely frozen in shock for the first several seconds.

Avatar Image says:

That kiss must have been awkward for Dan, but he was a good sport about it.

Avatar Image says:

afterwards he said, this was a “modanna and Britney moment” .. you got to love DAn, and dam the fat guy caught him by surprise…next time I see Dan I should do that..just kissing!!!

Avatar Image says:

I agree that Dan was a good sport, but I don’t think it’s appropriate for anyone to just grab another person and force themselves on them like that. I felt the same way when Adrien Brody did it to Halle Berry at the Oscars a few years ago. She was a good sport too. But what choice did Dan or Halle have when someone else grabs them like that? Push them away and look like a sourpuss in front of a huge crowd or go along with it and be on the receiving end of an uninvited kiss.

You or I couldn’t waltz up to someone on the street and do that without getting punched in the nose, if not arrested.

Avatar Image says:

I agree bt, if that were me I probably would have flipped out and started bathing my face in hand sanitizer right where I stood… I know it’s bad for your face but wow.. hope Dan’s not a germophobe like me :) People should be able to decline a kiss from a stranger without seeming rude!

Avatar Image says:

Maybe this will teach Dan a lesson on mingling with theater people. They are crazy nuts! That James presenter made a laughingstock of Poor Dan who graciously attended that evening to acept his frist theater award. sniff…

Avatar Image says:

In this kind of settings you cannot go KABOOM over the kiss but play it cool, Dan was ambushed (like one article put it perfectly) and instead of reacting aggressively, which will have had put him in a bad light, I think he did the right thing. Dan sure knows how to handle this situation.

Avatar Image says:

Crude joke… if it was a joke. it’s the kind of crappy behaviuor that gives showbiz people a bad name. Poor Dan was ambushed. He stood frozen for several moments and when James thingy didn’t get a reaction from him, started caressing Dan’s hair. disgusting. not funny at all. Somebody should tell that guy that he got borderline crude. Wjhy do these award shows always get comedans as hosts? Making jokes about people is NOT funny at all.

Avatar Image says:

I understand the whole not blowing off and freaking out and acting like a jerk reaction under such situation.

but what’s wrong with pulling away from the kiss? how does that makes one looks bad?!! it shows that you did not want that to happen and i’m sure people would understand; I mean who wants that to happen to them? and in public?

Avatar Image says:

I think some of you are forgetting that these were THEATRE awards. The kiss was planted by the host, and he was playing it up because it was good THEATRE. There is no context to the clip (not sure how many of you have seen it), really, but the reports were that it was in good fun. Besides, a bunch of other guys later ambushed the host and laid a bunch of wet ones on him.

Dan evidently got the joke. Let’s not make this into something it isn’t. Anyway, those were nice words from Peter Schaffer about Dan.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not trying to make it into anything. I’m just saying that I think it’s rude to grab another person and force yourself on them – in ANY context, yes even THEATRE.

At the Oscars Sunday night, Gary Busey came up behind Jennifer Garner on the red carpet and licked her on the neck. And she appeared pretty mortified but since they were in front of cameras, she stood there and took it.

Why is that okay? Why is okay to invade someone’s personal space like that? Good for Dan Radcliffe that he handled it so well. I just didn’t think it was funny.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, you don’t have to think it’s funny. I just don’t think anyone should take this too seriously. It is one thing to be walking along the street and someone grabs you, and quite another to be in a certain type of setting, amongst a certain group of people (like comedians), and have something like that happen. I don’t think Dan is a laughingstock at all; he would have been had he behaved huffily. Instead, he made a joke about Madonna and Britney and people laughed.

And you know what, had the guy licked Dan, I would have thought that was too much. But that’s not what happened….I think there is a difference but I’m not sure what it is!

Avatar Image says:

I can see both sides of the argument. On the one hand it is invading personal space and why should someone put up with it just because they are a celebrity.

On the other hand I do think Dan has a sense of humour; good point bebe about it being theatre, I hadn’t considered that. But Dan has done Extras, Jonathan Ross, and has a reputation for being a funny guy (one Guardian journalist described him as ‘laugh out loud spit out your crisps funny’, and also as a practical joker. So he will be known in the business as someone who has got a sense of humour and is likely to play along.

But to make you all feel better, the Edward Hall Shakespeare actors, or whoever they are, ambushed the same presenter and did the same to him as they left the stage.

Avatar Image says:

i have aquestion…..Did the presenter kiss daniel??? ‘cause i just read something about it?? and it was akward…. :)

Avatar Image says:

Nevermind about my last comment…..i just read above….you have talked a lot about it…

Avatar Image says:

I personally thought it was funny since he seemed to take it so well. What gave me that impression was his Britney/Madonna comment afterwards. I wouldn’t think it was funny if it bothered him, though!

The Sun has the comment by Dan’s publicist

Daniel’s spokeswoman said yesterday: “It was a spontaneous gesture by James which was very funny. Daniel took it in the light-hearted spirit that was intended.”

Avatar Image says:

Thanks radcakesfan, that clears things up. He certainly looked perfectly cheerful in the photos afterwards.

Avatar Image says:

Good greif this [comedic kiss] has been taken a way too seriouslyby some people. It was a comedic action -done in a theatrical -comedic situation[albeit a bit too long ]but not to be taken seriously.It is so rediculious that people do. James went a little far with wanting a laugh and the humor but we were not in the theatre watching the proceedings before it happened and after -it was taken out of context .

I was so glad to see Dan knew how to handle the situation [with great wit in tact] and his reaction -about a Madonna and Brintney flashback -[lol!] was pricless. As is he. So glad he was given the honor -by the public -of these awards. And he looked absolutely gorgeous.

Avatar Image says:

Umm, for all the people getting their knickers in a twist, Daniel and James know each other. It wasn’t some random stranger forcing himself on innocent Harry Potter. Daniel took it with the grace and fun intended, pity some of you can’t do the same. It’s not your place to feel uncomfortable for someone you don’t know, in a situation you haven’t the first clue about.

Avatar Image says:

Of course what James didn’t think of is that Dan is now going to go after him with a hoof pick – if Dan’s on-stage romantic history is anything to go by. Cover your eyes, James, you big ‘ol Clydesdale, you!

Avatar Image says:

“It’s not your place to feel uncomfortable for someone you don’t know, in a situation you haven’t the first clue about.”

Oh please. It happened in public, it’s up for public commentary. I suppose it’s your place to tell everyone what sort of opinions they are allowed to have and when?

Congratulations to Dan for winning his award and for being so gracious about the “hilarious” actions of the presenter.

Avatar Image says:

I have an idea. Why don’t we boycott all award shows hosted by a comedian? They’re soo not funny. And another thing, this thing about Holywood embarrassing winners with disgusting behavior led behavior like that just expands their reputation as persons with loose morals. That kind of behavior should NOT be laughed at. Even more disgsusting than that pervert host was the crowd who cheered him on while the victim stood rooted on the spot, accepting a kiss that was forced on him. THey’re all accesories to the crime!

Avatar Image says:

the acceptance speech is up on the wos website now, and actually Dan’s response was funnier than the kiss. He got a massive cheer at the end.

Seeing the kiss in its proper context it isn’t funny at all and Dan certainly wasn’t smiling just after it. But he didn’t respond at all to it, just got on with preparing his speech until the noise died down. He was the complete professional the way he concentrated on unfolding his paper to get composure back. I think he will have got a lot of respect for the way he handled that situation because it was very impressive.

Avatar Image says:

My understanding is that the kiss was planned… if that changes anyone’s perspective.

Write a Reply or Comment