My Boy Jack, Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith Nominated for Broadcast Press Awards

116

Feb 29, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Several actors from the Harry Potter films have been nominated for awards regarding their work in movies seen in the UK. The 34th annual Broadcasting Press Guild Awards have been announced, and gaining mention in the “Single Drama” category was the UK television movie My Boy Jack, starring Dan Radcliffe (HarryPotter). Also singled out was Dame Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall) in the best Actress category for her work in Capturing Mary. Actor Michael Gambon (Professor Dumbledore) was nominated a remarkable three times in the same best Actor category, for his work in “Joe’s Palace,” “Cranford,” and “Celebration.” Finally actor Stephen Fry, who narrates the UK Harry Potter audio books was nominated as performer/presenter for “Stephen Fry for Stephen Fry: HIV and Me.” These awards will be presented on Friday April 4 in London, England. Congratulations!

On a related note: As we reported previously, My Boy Jack and Cranford, will be broadcast here in the US on PBS Masterpiece. My Boy Jack will air Sunday, April 20 with Cranford showing on May 4, 11, and 18th.

17 Responses to My Boy Jack, Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith Nominated for Broadcast Press Awards

Avatar Image says:

I really hope Boy A wins over My Boy Jack! Ooh, first post?

Avatar Image says:

It’s so annoying, I haven’t been able to see My Boy Jack or any of the other TV movies the trio have done because I don’t live in the UK.

Avatar Image says:

i’ve seen My Boy Jack. it was done really well and had great performances from all actors involved. in relation to the HP universe, i think this is Dan Radcliffe’s best performance to date.

Why is she “Dame Maggie Smith” but he isn’t “Sir Daniel Radcliffe the HOT

Avatar Image says:

I recommend My Boy Jack and Cranford. They were the best dramas that I saw on TV last year (tho I didn’t see Boy A as someone mentioned above). My Boy Jack I can’t think of a fault except it could perhaps have been a bit longer. It was a beautiful understated drama, with one of the most heartrending death scenes that kept me awake or a long time that night. Cranford was quite gripping for a period drama! At least I waited impatiently for the next instalments. Some of the characters were great fun to watch in action; Imelda Staunton was also in it and was hilarious. Michael Gambon was sublime and his story with Judi Dench’s character was so touching. I also fell in love with another storyline featuring a young boy called Harry.

I recorded Joe’s Palace, but admit I haven’t watched it yet and my recorder failed to tape Capturing Mary unfortunately.

Avatar Image says:

just wanted to point out that Oliver Twist is also nominated against Cranford, another HP actor link (Timothy Spall). Again, I have it recorded but haven’t got round to watching (I’ve got so much stuff waiting on my harddrive!).

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear, there’s a hard choice to be made in most of those categories. My Boy Jack was wonderful, but Boy A really was superb too. Michael Gambon’s up against Philip Glennister and he’s really the man of the moment right now. Actually, I’d love him to have a role in one the the HP films! I wonder if he could have one of the parts in DH? Xeno Lovegood anyone?

Avatar Image says:

they are really strong nominations I agree. Not surprisingly, since it’s voted by a membership of over 100 journalist, critics, etc. It’s an honour to be nominated at all.

Philip Glennister was in Cranford too, in the storyline with ‘Harry’, which I absolutely loved. He was great!

I haven’t seen any of the Dan Radcliffe Movies

but I was able to rent Driving Lessons from netflix

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful news!! Congratulations to all!! This does seem to be HP award season, doesn’t it? With Jo getting a host of awards and the actors and movies too, it’s really great!! :D

Avatar Image says:

You can rent December Boys from netflix, from what i hear. It’s great that just about every one of Dan’s projects gets nominated for at least something! December Boys got an Aussie award for Feature film adaptation, Extras of course and Equus! Love it!

Avatar Image says:

Hey radcakesfan: Was December Boys any good? I really want to see it. I’m also rather jealous of anyone who kisses or has fake sex with Dan…..

“Why is she “Dame Maggie Smith” but he isn’t “Sir Daniel Radcliffe the HOT

lol. You can only be knigthed (by the queen or whoever is the present monarch) if you’re already old or have contributed a LOT to the British kingdom. Anyway, His DANness has so many awards already, we can afford to wait when it his turn to be “SIR” next.

Darn, why wasn’t Dan nominated as Best Actor or somehting? He was great in MBJ… Also Emma?...

Avatar Image says:

Hail Prince Harry ! Way to go in Afghanistan !

Deathly H, I did enjoy December Boys. It’s neat seeing Dan as “someone else” . Just sit back and enjoy it whenever you get the chance. You can buy it pretty much anywhere, I think.

The thing I hear might happen to My Boy Jack is that they (PBS) might cut scenes from it. I heard they did that to that new version of Jane Austen’s Persuasion. It was apparently so much better and clearer in the uncut uk version and so badly done on the PBS showing,that I’m afraid they’ll do the same to My Boy Jack.

Avatar Image says:

When My Boy Jack was shown in Ontario in January, there were no commercials (which was better than what happened in the UK, I hear). I would be surprised if they cut it. If memory serves me, it only ran about 90 minutes, or slightly longer. Masterpiece Theatre has a two-hour time slot, I believe.

I hope they don’t cut it.

I really enjoyed it but it was quite sad. I am a mother, and we have had a family member who went to France in World War II and never came back. Both my husband and I were very moved by the production. When it plays on Masterpiece, I want my 11 year old son to watch.

I’ll have to remember to check out Cranford.

Avatar Image says:

OMG! My Boy Jack is on right NOW on Access channel (Bell ExpressVU channel 267 in Canada) so I hope anyone seeing this here will have a chance to see it—no commercials!!

BTW, Daniel looks great! (oh and a no shirt scene, teehee)

Avatar Image says:

bebe, yes the commercial breaks on the UK version were REALLY annoying, completely ruined the flow of it, sometimes breaking at the most stupid moments (like when he was about to go over the top), and stupidly long.

Write a Reply or Comment