JK Rowling Writing New Children’s Book in Cafes Again

Mar 02, 2008

Posted by SueTLC

As readers will recall, author J.K. Rowling has stated several times recently that she is at work on two new projects, one for adults and one for children. The Telegraph has more today on Jo’s efforts with the new book for children, with a brief interview where Jo says she is returning again to write in cafes, just as she did writing the Harry Potter series. Quotage:

“I will continue writing for children because that’s what I enjoy,” reveals Jo, who greatly misses the child wizard. “It’s left me with the biggest emptiness in my life.” She will, however, leave behind the magical world of Hogwarts. “I believe that it’s good for me and good for my readers that I bring myself to work on something different,” she declares.

In a search for inspiration, Jo discloses that she has returned to the Edinburgh cafes where she completed her first novel while unemployed and living on benefits: “I am very good at finding a suitable cafe. I blend into the crowd and, of course, I don’t sit in the middle of the bar staring all around me. In 90 per cent of cases, it’s the cafe’s staff who allow me to work without being bothered.”

On a related note, the worst sort of Muggles or Death Eaters have been out and about recently, as vandals have apparently made off with one of two plaques at the cafe in Edinburgh, Scotland where she wrote much of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s (Philosopher’s) Stone. The Scotsman reports:

Staff at the Buffet King restaurant on Nicolson Street, which used to be Nicolson’s Cafe, said a small brass plaque dedicated to the city author had been taken from the front entrance…One restaurant worker said:”It is only a small plaque and we didn’t even know it had been stolen until someone pointed it out to us.We haven’t contacted the police about it. It’s probably a waste of time for them to even try and find out who stole it.”The city’s culture leader, Deidre Brock, said: “I am hopeful that it is found and put back soon.” The plaque was one of two set up on the street in honour of the writer. The other ’ which was unveiled by the Edinburgh City of Literature Trust in 2006 ’ is still in place, fixed to the outside of the building.

124 Responses to JK Rowling Writing New Children’s Book in Cafes Again

Avatar Image says:

Finally some news on this new book!

Avatar Image says:

This is AMAZING. thanks for posting this. my day is brighter!

Avatar Image says:

¬heads off to some Edinburgh cafes¬

;)

Nah, not really. I think we should leave her to it, tbh.

Avatar Image says:

this actually is not really news to the fans. we have known about this book for a few years now. we also catch glimpses of her writing and speaking briefly about it in the recent year in a life documentary.

What makes me curious is the fact that she is interviewed about it. i wonder if that means she is now working towards publishing it?

honestly, she is jk rowling and if she does not want deadlines, i doubt she has to have any deadlines from her publishers. but still, i do hope she publishes more stories.

Avatar Image says:

Its not the fact that shes writing it that is the news. Its the fact that were getting updates, which is always a good sign.

Avatar Image says:

ooooooooo I’m so looking forward to new books!!!!!! Can’t wait!!!!!! And if she ever decide to write another HP book I don’t want it to be about the kids. Let’s keep Harry,Ron,Hermione and the other characters!

Just an update…

Avatar Image says:

Awwww. This made me smile. thinks about ‘the scottish book’

Avatar Image says:

What is very obvious indeed is just how much difficulty she is having leaving behind the Potter world. It was, after all, 17 years of her life that fundamentally changed everything for her. I wonder if she regrets publishing the epilogue….......

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know why everyone is getting so excited! She is just writing, that doesn’t mean it is any good. I am also shocked that she didn’t write anything eles besides Harry Potter for the past 10 years. It makes me think that she is a one trick pony.

Lynn

She had said during interviews while she still was writing potter that she had already started with another childrens´ book.

Maybe she is just somebody who doesn´t like to spread attention to a million different stories.

But I agree I wouldn´t get too excited: Jo is good in firing up exspectations without fulfilling them.

Anyway, I would be more interested in her adult-book, but i guess we will be waiting in vain for this as I believe she simply cannot write for adults.

Secunda

Tell that to the millions of adults who have read her books over the years.

Lynn

She has a 30 million+ fan base who would have been highly disappointed if she took time away from Harry and wrote something else. They would not have been happy about waiting even longer, especially fans like me who have been waiting for this moment for nine or ten years. Jo has always shown she loves her fans AND Harry, and for the sake of both she wanted to finish this massive story with multiple plot-twists and dozens of hidden clues before moving on to something else (so yeah, it took her a long time-17 years, not 10).

As to the article, she has on multiple occasions since the publication of DH said that she was going to take a break before writing again, so it’s thrilling to hear that she’s writing again as she is such a talented writer, thanks Sue and Leaky for posting.

I’m sorry if I’m being overly aggressive, but, as Hagrid would say, nobody insults Jo in front of me.

Avatar Image says:

I agree 110% with what Rachel said. The thing about Jo being “a one trick pony”. You may be right that any idea she has after HP will never be anywhere near half as good as it. I would never think to compare the two. But I think we can all agree Jo is a fantastic writer, and that is something you don’t lose. So I expect I’ll enjoy anything else she does write, and if I don’t thats my problem not hers, and I could never get mad at her after all she did for me with Harry Potter.

Avatar Image says:

One trick pony??? Bet you wish you had a trick at least half that good up your sleeve…

Avatar Image says:

Lynn and Secunda_One wonders greatly -if you work for either a puplishing company that missed the boat on JKR or are rival author(s) of Jo’s as those reasons sound as good as any as to why you need to find such -not only rediculious insults to make about Jo but ones that do not hold water .And WHY you wold EVEN be here is a mystery to me as you are clearly NOT fans in any,shape form, or fashion of her work . [???] Wouldn’t your thoughts and energy be used[and served] better elsewhere _say maybeylike writing a book yourselves instead of finding fault.Apparentely you think you are capible of muti books that would interest mases of people ___or maybe you just like to find fault in one who can. Hmmmmmmmm????

I am very happy this book is beng completed and am looking farward to it’s publication.

Avatar Image says:

Susan Cooper has never again (IMO) written anything as good as The Dark is Rising series. But some of the other stuff she’s written is still well worth reading: “not as good as TDiR” still leaves a lot of room for excellence.

I agree with Secunda.

Avatar Image says:

Just to clarify one thing: I have been a huge fan until Deathly Hallows came out.

And the first part of my post just said that there are people in the world (me included) who cannot occupy themselves with many tasks at the same time. And I wondered if Jo belonged to them. It was actually a defense for Jo!

And it is a fact that many adult readers turned away after DH (or even before). You just had to check the debate that was going on at amazon when they had this forum for beedle the bard.

And again I stress that this is a discussion forum here not a one-opinion-borg-ship

Avatar Image says:

Lynn, I hope that you are not as obtuse as you sound. “One trick pony” indeed! How incredibly insulting!

To minimalize Jo’s accomplishment (and her dedication to the Harry project) by saying that she should have written something else at the same time, is just absurd. The magnitude and complexity of what she created not only the main story of Harry, but all the subplots, the characters, microscopic DETAILS, and entire Wizarding Universe, is mind boggling! Plus, all the history (muggle, magical, and mythological), intricately woven in … wondrous indeed!

IMO, Granted, several inspirations for future stories, probably ran through her brain during the time she was writing the HP novels, but she just jotted the ideas down for consideration at a later date … once Harry’s adventure had come to it’s conclusion. She refused to “sidelined” or distracted … for that she has my undying gratitude! Even getting married and having two more children, did not slow her down that much!

IF her future works do not garner as much success as the Harry Potter series has, SO WHAT? Does that diminsh what she has already done?

JKR is an extraordinarily creative writer! She gave us a beautiful gift! Enjoy it and quit being so small minded and petty!

If any cretins out there believe that Harry Potter is all that she has in her, you are as myopic as you present yourself.

We will be able to share with future generations the stories about the agony of waiting for the next Harry Potter book. The ECSTASY of finally getting it into our hands and devouring every word. They will be blessed because they will be able to read them back-to-back!

Jo has written something for the ages, the not so simple adventure of a little orphaned boy named Harry that was a wizard! Thank You Jo, from Me and those yet to be!

I would LOVE to be as “tricky” as Jo!

Avatar Image says:

I think it’s wonderful that she is enjoying writing in cafes again. It’s so poetic; the scribe, concentrating on her work as the world of the cafe moves around her – people coming and going like characters in her tale. It ranks right up there with writing on parchment under candlelight!

I wish you Jo all the inspiration in the universe to create new worlds with characters we will love and despise. Enjoy taking time – there are many of us who want you to enjoy your own life.

Avatar Image says:

Secunda, if you hate HP/JKR so much as this point, why are you always on Leaky? Just wondering. If it were me, I’d occupy my time with something that actually made me happy.

And I also wonder how anyone can judge Jo’s capability to write outside of the Potterverse before having read any of her post-Potter works.

Avatar Image says:

For some reason this part of my posting got mangled, but it does bear repeating:

Avatar Image says:

Many an artistic person,albeit books ,art,music ,film,stage, etc have had one thing that drew them the fame they retained ,but went on to other less famous or profitable works.It doesn’t mean those were any less good are worthwild ventures.Often they are far better than most works.The thought that a work of anykind has to amass mega $$ and recieve mass acclaim is rediculious that that work was not as worthy of prase as the work that attained mass acclaim. Smaller ventures are very worth while too and should not be rediculed as not as important [or of any improtance]as all of that persons work should be concidered worthy .And SO I think will be true of Jo Rowling.

Ananin I say write your own darn books and get your own rewrds ,if YOU are worthy.

Bravo! Cat Well said!!

Avatar Image says:

@Amy and Helyx- I totally agree!!! HP;Jo;and everything related haters have no bussines here on Leaky!!!! Go away! Can’t wait for the new books!!!

Avatar Image says:

I wish Jo had a blog, like Neil Gaiman, so we could hear more details of her writing process.

Avatar Image says:

I’m guessing we’ll see one of her new books NEXT summer, 2 years after the publication of Deathly Hallows. It’s gonna be wonderfully weird reading something by her that’s NOT got Harry as the main character!

I always wondered whether she ever considered releasing something new under a pseudonym because her name is so synonymous with HP. She may have already done so for all we know.

Avatar Image says:

I live in edburgh, and im sure i saw her in a small coffee house on Laurenston place after OoTP came out… Its nice to hear that people are leaving her be to write. For myself, i would find it difficult not to go up and speak to her. I do all my Uni. revision in coffee houses and i am alwase hoping she will turn up…

Avatar Image says:

party I love Jo’s books [= well, don’t we all?

Avatar Image says:

I hope the one for adults is a mystery novel… she’d be wonderful at that!

Avatar Image says:

Calling Jo Rowling a one-trick-pony, because she only wrote Harry Potter is about as fair as calling J.R.R. Tolkien a one trick pony, because he only wrote about middle earth.

Avatar Image says:

Thank Goodness! Some news on the new book(s)! I was beggining to hyperventalate (sp?) !!!

I can’t wait for them to come out. You know all of us are going to read both… and finish them in a day or two, them come right back here and gab about them , like always.

Some things just don’t change : )

Avatar Image says:

very cool that jo has gone back whereit all begain for HP to workon here new book, as for that plaque i think it a strong possibility it will end up sold to some hp fanatic that would see it as the ultimate hp collectable

“One trick pony”......

Dickens, Twain, Shakespeare, Tolkien, Rice, Boroughs, Dickensen, Austin,.......Everyone, who is anyone, has read one or more, of these authors. Not EVERYTHING, they wrote, was a success. Each had their own failures…as I am sure JKR will have…..maybe not right away..but they happen to every writer.. The world will remember her, long after she is gone. Not just for the Harry Potter Series, but many other things, I am sure. “One trick pony”, indeed! Give the lady some credit. She has a wonderful mind and a great gift. And she is willing to share it with all of us. To call her work a “one trick pony” is an insult above insults.JMHO

Avatar Image says:

I think thats awesome that she can write in cafes without being bothered too much. I would probably go bother her :) I think thats sad that someone stole the plaque. I really hope they return it!

Avatar Image says:

I’m sure her husband & children are thrilled to hear that the absence of some fictional characters leave this woman with “the biggest emptiness in her life.” What a thoughtless hag. And you sycophants seem thrilled that she’s in the position to buy tea & cakes while she’s writing? Nice touch on reality you have!

Chris

If you really have nothing better to do than write comments on a Harry Potter website when you obviously hate both the author and her story, you really need to get a life. I am sure that her husband and children realize how important Harry has been to her as she had been writing these stories for the last 17 years of her life. Oh yeah, and Harry was one of he only bright rays of light in her life when she was a struggling single mother and her life could not have been easy. AND Harry lifted her out of that state through his popularity. I think she has more than a little reason to be a bit sentimental when thinking of him. Just go and bother some other comment board.

Avatar Image says:

Hooray! Maybe Jo is working on the Scottish Book….or book 8? Maybe a new fantasy? Maybe that “political fairy story” she was going to finish? Anything by her I’ll gladly read!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, Jo, please please work on the Scottish Book! puppy dog eyes =_= I mean, it’s okay if you don’t work on it right away….we can wait a while, but would you at least start on it? Pretty please? ;)

XD I’m a dork.

Avatar Image says:

Anyone applying the tutm “one trick pony”’to JKR needs to stand back and look at all she accalmished with the HP series ,so very people ,,,including adults,,,starting reading ….again and it is such a rediculious phase to apply to her __I guess you have already read her next book …................

Chris ….I think you are on the wrong wedsite…..try www.ijustwanttocomplainabout anything.com

Avatar Image says:

Yay! She’s writing another book—as we knew she would :) It’s too bad about the plaque though… :(

Avatar Image says:

Chris, agreeing with Rachel, get a life, you heartless leech!

Avatar Image says:

I think that she hit pay dirt on this magic thing, and she hasn’t wrote anything since. What I am surpost to believe. Harry Potter books were her first books, so she doesn’t past books that I can look at and say, “Wow, she write other stuff besides Harry Potter. If she is completely burn out of writting Harry Potter (which I think she is, because of the 7th book that was crap), I blame the crazy fans, who demanded her to write as fast as she can! YOU know who you are! In closing, I would just like to say that this woman has written a GREAT series, and she has been rewarded for it…but she has done NOTHING to make me think that this wasn’t a fluke!

Avatar Image says:

OMG, Lynn… Why don’t you bother somebody else, and not a woman who (as you say) has written a GREAT series If you think she is great, then you must know that she will write another book as great as HP series. You’ll see! Just get a life, don’t bother her and their fans!

Avatar Image says:

Lynn… she’s working on something right now! As this article quite obviously says! How can you possibly claim she ” hasn’t wrote anything since”? It hasn’t even been a year since HP7 was published! Only the “crazy fans who demand her to write as fast as she can” would expect her to have another book out by now… your argument makes no sense at all.

Avatar Image says:

I think Beedle the Bard show’s she’s not a one-trick-pony.

Avatar Image says:

Oh yeah! I am way pumped for more JKR!

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad to see she’s back in her element.

The anarchist in me would love to see the plaque mysteriously returned, but full of grafitti wishing her well, like the sign at the Potters’ at Godric’s Hollow. :)

Avatar Image says:

I’m still holding out hope that one day Jo will think to write, besides the Scottish Book, all 30 Tales of Beedle the Bard…

Avatar Image says:

Yes!! The best news I’ve heard in a long time!

Avatar Image says:

Chris I absolutely agree with you! She has a family and says that to say goodbye to potter left her with a great emptiness. That is heartless not pointing it out!

Oh it makes me happy to be here! It´s interesting, you see. I was so deep in this whole HP-thing that I can´t ignore it, I was part of this mystification of Jo. I just have a different view on it now.

Avatar Image says:

Lynn and Secunda are both a bit right, actually. Evidently, jo has talent, and it’s logical that with a work as huge as HP she hasn’t written anything else (that we know of, that she’s told us about) during those years. Yet given that HP is her only published work up to date, she does have yet to prove she’s not a one trick pony. It’s absolutely safe to assume, as she herself has stated, that she won’t ever publish something as huge and fenomenal as the HP series. But can she produce something as good? She’s great at plot twist and red herrings, but she’s also shown that she stinks at writing romance. Will she stick to her strengths ? Will she polish her weaknesses? That is what we’re anxious to see.

Avatar Image says:

Lynn takes pleasure in insulting people any way she can. I don’t think that she has ever posted a nice comment. She has attempted to insult me on multipul occasions….just ignore her.

I find it really amazing that Jo is still writing if cafes. It really just brings it all full circle and I wish her the best of luck. I know that I will read anything that she writes, if it is good or not!

Avatar Image says:

why don’t mrs rowling write a book about harry potter ’s life after the dark lord die’d just before he gets married so we can have a idea for once the happy life with the weezlee family and then getting older before father hood or somthing like that becouse 19 years a long gap , all the harry potters are good time reading books but that long gap should be filled in don’t you think

Avatar Image says:

I have to laugh at those who seriously believe that Rowling’s statement, “It’s left me with the biggest emptiness of my life,” means she is being heartless. I don’t think you have any idea what writing HP has meant to her. She created and lived HP for 10 years. It was part of her every day life, not to mention how it changed her life tremendously for such a long time, that to have that end…it’s almost like losing a part of yourself. She’s not saying that her family isn’t important here. Are any of us simply defined by our roles of wife, mother, student, child, employee? She’s a writer, a creator. When that all of a sudden ends, you can’t help but feel like part of you is empty, that something is missing. Those who are artists, musicians, writers, teachers can relate to this I believe. (I certainly can)

As far as whether her next book will be good, better, worse, whatever, only time will tell. Hopefully, fans won’t shred it to pieces if it isn’t “HP-worthy.” I do feel sorry for her in a way because there are many who will never look at it as a work standing on its own merits. It will be mercilessly compared to HP and will never be good enough in the eyes of many. She’s one brave woman…I don’t think I’d have the guts to write again if I ever wrote even one successful book. Personally, I’m looking forward to it and wish her much success.

Avatar Image says:

The way I see it is that no matter what Jo decides to do in the future it is the critics and fans who will compare her work to Harry Potter and measure it up to “no good” Completely unfair but unfortunately it is reality. I think she would do better to completely switch genres in her writing and dabble a bit in some smaller pieces for a while. Let the Harry Potter hoopla calm down and then I think the world will be more ready to accept a full blown novel.

And since the “one trick pony” thing has come up , let’s look at the situation. Jo went from a struggling young mother of no note to internationally famous author. I’d say Jo has done quite nicely….more than lots of people I know could say for themselves. The reality is most who find themselves on welfare or public housing stay there and that is the truth. If it took Harry to save her and in return she has catapulted his story to beyond fame that should all that is needed. How many times in our life do we need to do only what gets us through the bad times? Jo isn’t required to give us any more work. She didn’t wake up one day with some esoteric idea that she was going to be part of the literati and create the “grand book” and it will be her life’s calling. She wrote Harry to save herself and her child from a life of struggle and strife. It is the exact same thing I would have done for my own child if faced with the same circumstances. It is natural for parents to want take care of their children and want more for them. So let’s take a breather here before we critically judge Jo for her reasons for writing and whether or not she is going to measure up to what our expectations are. As far as I am concerned the only expectations she needs to meet are those of her family since they after all, were the very reasons she started writing in the first place. I am just ever so grateful that I had a chance to read what she did write and I will continue to do so in the future.

Avatar Image says:

Off topic, but has anyone noticed that the leaky image galleries seem to be down?

Avatar Image says:

oddly enough, according to jk rowling, after finishing GoF. for 5-6 months, she didnt write book5, but wrote something completely different for those months which she said was quite freeing.

Avatar Image says:

@ Chris and all other HP and Jo haters: If you people don’t like anyone, why on EARTH are you there on a fansite dedicated to that person and their achievements? Just to talk rubbish about them? Sorry, but you people must have some serious issues to attend to if that’s what you go about doing.

And Chris: Just because she says it’s left her with emptiness doesn’t mean she doesn’t care about her family. Please, Jo had a difficult childhood and she has herself said that her idea of ultimate happiness is a happy family. But some people don’t understand how much the books mean to her, and what they did for her. It’s been nothing short of a fairytale for her ever since she published the books, and Harry and those characters have been an immensely important part of her life for SEVENTEEN YEARS! So, I’m assuming if you were in her position, giving something up, ending it finally after seventeen years, is going to be difficult. This shows what they meant to her, as much as to us fans who were left feeling so empty after finishing Hallows.It’s probably greater for her, because they are, at the end of the day, her characters, her world, and it’s never easy to say goodbye…

Avatar Image says:

Sod off!!! JK is , has been and will always be a brilliant writer. I am sure that anything she sets her mind to will will be brilliant. She is one of the greatest and most prolific writers of the 21st century. Why would anyone choose to insult our Jo? Sour grapes maybe? Jealousy maybe? Or are you just bloody upset because Harry’s story has been told in it’s fullness and you no longer have anything to fill your empty life.??!! Well get over it. Any true JK fan will not tolerate such rubbish about such a fab woman. She has accomplished much and I am sure she will again. Why are you naysayers even here. Clearly you do not belong. Jo I love ya , as do the other 400Million fans that have purchased the pleasure that is Harry Potter!

Rachel,

Where in my post do I state that I hate Rowling & her story? Please feel free to direct me to that, as you claim it’s so obvious. What is obvious here is that you truly are sycophantic twit. Is there no room for dissent? For criticism? She made a thoughtless statement. I mentioned it. That alone does not mean I hate her books. It does clearly indicate the knee-jerk reaction typical of hopelessly devoted fools such as yourself.

You may rest assured in the fact that I do have a life & it’s apparently got a much firmer grasp of reality than folks such as yourself, and…

Jeanine,

Again, is it so hard to accept that some people don’t view your hero as the angel you so desperately seem to believe she is?

Isin Moon,

Me, heartless? Not quite. I’m not the one who devalued my husband & children in favor of some fictional children.

Prenz,

Again, where did I state that I do not like her? Show me. Please.

In all honesty, I was pleased with the books & I’m eager to read her next effort. I’d rather she’d just shut up & get on with it & stop worrying about lawsuits of fans of inconsequential cash grabs on her name like RDR’s or anything planned from the hosts of this site.

You pathetic nitwits can bark at me all you want for not being a mindless drone, but I consider it a matter of pride that I have some shred of ability to think critically when it comes to the woman. Rather that that pretend to know the woman based on reading & viewing a few interviews & insisting on calling her “Jo” as if you’re on a first name basis with her. So monumentally sad. And so many of you are grownups!

Avatar Image says:

It would seem that a site moderator is needed here and those that have the need to argue on a fan site should do so elsewhere.

This is the ultimate J.K. Rowling fan site where her work and information about Jo is appreciated. I am quite sure that whatever she is writing will be as excellent as her past work and will be well received by those of us that love her writing.

Avatar Image says:

In life it’s so much easier to tear things down than build them up. People who do it are trying to fill some deep void within themselves. Don’t get angry at the people here who spread hate. Pity them instead. They enjoy being miserable. They actually need to do this to feel good inside.

Yes everyone has a right to their opinion, but the way one expresses that opinion is important. Most of the people throwing insults at JKR are immature, and over time they will see that their actions are futile and sad. If you don’t like J.K. Rowling, her work, the HP fandom, or this website, you can express you contempt in a respectful manner, and move on. There is no reason to hold on to this disdain, or to continue to come back time and time again to express it. Please focus on the positives in your life.

In the words of Say Anything, “It’s the same superiority complex shared by the high school jocks who made your life a living hell; and it makes you a slave to the competitive, capitalist dogma you spend every moment of your waking life [complaining] about.”

Avatar Image says:

One can be a fan and still be critical.

Anyway, this site explicitly states that it´s a site for news and discussion!!!

And if you had read chris` post you would know now that she likes Jo´s works.

Chris: Calling her Jo in your posts spares you time. Imagine to type ROWLING all the time.

Avatar Image says:

Most of the people throwing insults at JKR are immature, and over time they will see that their actions are futile and sad (posted by mollywobbles)

it´s also sad that so many people shy away from tough language and have to sugar-coat everything.

What consequences does it have to be a bit out-spoken?

Avatar Image says:

GOOD GRIEF!!!! All you people that perceive JKR as heartless because she honestly said the end of this Harry adventure, “It’s left me with the biggest emptiness in my life.” READ THE WORDS and SENTIMENT!!!!! Bloody heck! She has a heart that’s why she feels the loss! If you had spent 17 years with a child (the developing of a literary icon) and now that child (Harry et.al.) is grown and on its own … .of course you are going to feel a void! It is, for all intents and purposes, the “empty nest” syndrome. She has just bid a loving farewell to a literary child, that she raised!

If she didn’t feel the loss, I would have lost a tremendous amount of respect for the lady. But, she does FEEL and that is why she was able to create a character and world that has been universally embraced.

It is amazing how Harry and his adventures have transended so many boundries (political, age, race, geographical, language, etc.) And taught us about ourselves and the evils (prejudices, bigotry, racism, cruelty, etc.) we encounter on a daily basis. And most importantly, how to deal with them  honourablely and our personal responsibility to not let evil win by inaction.

Harry and all his friends (and enemies) will live within us forever, the ideas and ideals have been wonderful lessons and blessings, to all who have the courage to recognize them!

Cat In my heart and in my head Harry and friends will have many more adventures and much love in their well-deserved happy lives PV (post-Voldemort)

Avatar Image says:

What do you know about her childhood? And why is she parading her family-problems in public anyway? Even the picture of her dead mother she has shown around on TV. disgusting!

But it says quite alot about somebody to identify that greatly with one´s work, almost like staring in the mirror all the time. But I guess that´s an artist´s disease.

Avatar Image says:

Now, I don’t know what I am doing wrong. but certain thoughts keep leaking off the page. (This is a physical example of the fact that I do run on, a bit) :-)

It is amazing how Harry and his adventures have transended so many boundries (political, age, race, geographical, language, etc.) And taught us about ourselves and the evils (prejudices, bigotry, racism, cruelty, etc.) we encounter on a daily basis. And most importantly, how to deal with them honourablely and our personal responsibility to not let evil win by inaction.

Cat

“The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing” Edmund Burke 1727-1797

Avatar Image says:

Secunda, I consider myself a very outspoken person. But as I said, the way one expresses their opinion is important. If you dislike JKR’s suit against RDR, there is nothing wrong with that. If you think Jo is ridiculous for suggesting the emptiness she feels for a fictional character, then that is fine as well.

However, you should express those feelings respectfully. Calling people sycophants and nitwits does nothing but make Chris look like a child. As for you Secunda, you spend plenty of time here throwing around insults yourself. You even insulted Melissa Anelli personally a few weeks ago. Does it really make you feel good inside? What can you possibly get out of spending your time here? You make me sad, because you seem like an intelligent person who could put her passion towards something more worthwhile and meaningful. There has to be a worthwhile cause in your community that you can focus your time on, instead of being angry about Harry Potter. Get angry about homelessness or something. You’re wasting your time getting mad at JK Rowling and Harry Potter fans.

Avatar Image says:

Cat, that was great!! And yes, a lot of fans would’ve felt hurt if Jo had said she doesn’t feel the loss. You know the problem with most people today is that they feel attaching an emotional sentiment to anyone or anything is waste of time. Fans love the book, and feel the loss. Jo literally gave it her all, and has emerged as one of the most brilliant writers the world has seen, and she feels the loss of the book too. It’s this feeling that makes us more human and less machine and it’s this feeling that has made the books what they are. If Jo hadn’t felt it, she’d never ever have been able to write it.

Secunda: She never she has never “paraded her family problems in public”. Heaven knows she keeps as far away from publisity as she possibly can. It’s been 10 years and now ONE movie comes out on her life. Never ever has she gone in any interview, “I was a lost, sad depressed soul” except in that documentary. She keeps her kids away from the limelight and is never seen on papers every second day, when she has more to her credit than most people we see in them. She loved her mother, and the loss hurt her. And this loss brought the element of darkness to the book, so she talked about it. And look at our world today,when the media considers it their business to parade the lives of public figures on TV screens. It’s not like she can be a recluse. At least she talks when necessary, and her life story inspires more people in the world.

And Chris, the fact that we call her “Jo” shows her relationship with the fans. She’s more open with them than any talk show host, so there.

PS: Why are all you Jo-bashers landing up on every second thread to talk crap about her? As stated earlier, a fansite consists of fans, people who like the books and the authors. And you may not state outrightly that you don’t like her, but your comments aren’t exactly honey-sweet are they?

Avatar Image says:

secunda, seriously, don’t you have anything better to do?

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Avatar Image says:

Posts like that of Lynn, Secunda and Chris are what is making me sick and tired of HP forums. It seems that most of the time these forums are devoted to defending JKR and her writing style. This is why I stopped going to HP4GU, it got to the point where I was reading about sandwiches equaling slavery in DH. This is what I see with Chris’s post, what a joke, many people miss the things that they have devoted their lives too. That does not mean she devalues her family. But you won’t listen nor do you want too. I guess with books as popular as HP you are going to have a lot of people that dislike the series or parts of it, but it seems some of these people go a little far in bashing JKR and her writing style. I find JKR’s writing to be sincere, humorous, and full of wonderful characters. That is my honest opinion. I am in favor of literary debate and character debate, what I am not in favor of is thinly veiled posts designed to infuriate fellow fans and further an agenda. That is what happens in HP forums and we argue and argue and they keep coming back because they are not real people but characters in game that they like to play. Go to these forums and read posts about that have something negative to say about HP. Most of them not all of them give subtle clues as to the motives of the poster. Some of them are also legitimate, intelligent critisism. I am not sure of these agenda’s could be Laura Mallory supporters or others. For awhile it was people in India upset about the lawsuit. It could be RDR reps. or just people that get a kick out of negative feedback. I had a incident like this in HP4GU, my first reply was to a woman who just wanted to start an argument , and later upon re-reading her post and response to my post I realized the deception, it was all a game. She even admitted such, but it was worded again in civil, intelligent wording that veiled her true intentions. And yet we continue to pander to these people and mantain civility because that is what civil online forums do. But an online forum is different than a real face to face because some people will always try to be something the’re not and try to add value to their hum-drum boring lives by playing a villian in an online message board. Just my 50 cents.

Avatar Image says:

i dont know what to think anymore. Ive seen so many comments. i dont know half the stuff people are trying to say. any way im very sad that this is the end of Harry Potter

Avatar Image says:

Yes, folks, with proper care and feeding, you too can have healthy stinky trolls!

Avatar Image says:

Perhaps I should haunt the cafes for a year or so in Edinburgh in an attempt to randomly catch her. As though that would be successful!

Keep up the good work, Jo. I look forward to reading whatever you will publish in the future.

Avatar Image says:

Chris’s idea of “critical thinking” is to namecall anyone who disagrees with him/her. Chris is in favor of “criticism” and “dissent” as long as it’s not directed at him/her.

Avatar Image says:

I think Beedle the Bard show’s she’s not a one-trick-pony. Posted by PigmyPuffPie on March 03, 2008 @ 12:30 AM

Yeah, but we haven’t seen it, have we? So how is it possible to review that against anything else?

Jessie

I’ve been feeling the same way!

I;m actually really glad you posted that comment (random much? :) ). After all this bickering back and forth, I’ve been getting pretty hot and was just about to post something back to Chris, but your comment grounded me and reminded me that the reason we’re here IS to celebrate the HP world, part of which includes obsessing about what’s going on with the movies, NOT to state our opinions until we’re blue in the face to someone who’s mind we can’t change anyway.

Thanks for this bit of reality check!

Avatar Image says:

ummm…Shoshana…This was my first time commenting on anything in over 3 months. Just because you only notice when I post about stuff I don’t like, dosen’t mean I don’t post about the stuff I do like. I just didn’t like the 7th book, so I am kind of mad at Rowling, and the rose color glasses came. I can see that I lot of people still have them on. On a sidenote, I don’t want to anger anyone at the leaky cauldron site, so this will be my last post about this topic. Have a nice day!

Avatar Image says:

Chris, while I get where you’re coming from, I disagree with you. I just don’t see how that comment means JKR doesn’t care about family and is a thoughtless hag. If her family mysteriously disappeared for some reason than I’m sure that would leave a huge emptiness. But they haven’t disappeared so it’s really a moot point. She never said Harry Potter was any more important as family.

Lynn- I think “One trick pony” is an unfair label for JKR (as of this moment, at least). Of her work we have only been exposed to Harry Potter so we can’t say that any subsequent books will be better or worse that Harry Potter. A better label might be a puppy that has only learned the trick sit so far. It’s still got speak, roll over, shake hands etc. to learn. The puppy might learn those tricks and be really good at them, or maybe it could only handle sit. You’ve got a good point though. They thing she’s writing now could turn out to be awful. Or it could be awesome.

And come on. Just because someone didn’t like DH all that much (And there are perfectly good reasons to dislike it, while still being a fan) or has a problem with one thing JKR says doesn’t mean we should proclaim them as heretics and hunt them down with pitchforks. People aren’t just coming here and mindlessly insulting JKR and all things associated with her. They (And by they, I mean Lynn and Secunda in their original posts in particular) seem to be having some doubts about whether she will be able to write more good books. And there’s really no problem with that.

And about the actual news itself, I think it’s nice news.

Avatar Image says:

“Chris, while I get where you’re coming from, I disagree with you. I just don’t see how that comment means JKR doesn’t care about family and is a thoughtless hag. If her family mysteriously disappeared for some reason than I’m sure that would leave a huge emptiness. But they haven’t disappeared so it’s really a moot point.”

what an excellent excellent point!

Anyway, about this one trick pony comment:

Jo’s very first published work happened to earn her enormous success and her very first work just happened also to comprise a set of seven books. That doesn’t make her a one trick pony, it just means she had a lot on her plate. Many writers do loads of average stuff before they even get noticed, and when a book becomes successful fans go back and read their earlier stuff; in other words their earlier stuff makes money on the back of their one successful later novel, and not because the earlier stuff is any good (take the rubbish Philip Pullman has churned out; it probably only gets read because of HDM).

A major reason, in my opinion, that HP has been so successful is BECAUSE Jo lavished 17 years writing, planning and researching a very exquisitely detailed world in which to place her beautifully observed characters. If she hadn’t devoted so much time to the research to make her world as authentic as possible then the books wouldn’t be nearly so good. Some writers churn out too much stuff with too little attention to detail. I think it is refreshing to see someone who prefers to pay so much attention to creating the best possible world she can for people to enjoy. Why should quantity equal quality?

Avatar Image says:

I can fully understand Jo´s feeling about the emptiness. It´s hard to be parted from people, things, work… you love. I have felt emotions like this myself in some circunstances and yes the emptiness that stays behind hurt

Peolpe who are critizising her maybe have not had sustencial losses in their lives, and have therefore a lack of emphathy.

It does not mean that Jo doesn´t love her family or friends. Everyone and everything has it´s space and it´s importance and thats good so.

I am amazed that Jo is busy writing and I can´t wait to put my hand on the new book which surely will be great.

Nice that the staff in the coffees help her to keep privacy.

I wounder who many copies she will be printing ? 500.000 ?

Avatar Image says:

Oh you crazy Scots! What will you steal next!

Clearly I’m joking.

Avatar Image says:

I am soooooo excited!!!!!!! I hope it is fantasy based, and a series!!!!! THANK YOU, JO!!!

Avatar Image says:

Chris, et.c. does have a point. It’s good that she’s writing again, but there are some “news” items here that are about as worth reading as “JKR breaks wind.” “JKR enjoys breakfast cereal.” And some of you would do well to be less obsessive & look at things with more realistic, less rose-colored glasses.

SPF

This IS a Harry Potter site, and Jo is a huge part of the HP world, so any news about Jo will most likely be reported about on Leaky. I have found their posts to be both interesting and informative, such as the recent news of Jo and her organization (Children’s High Voice?). There are a lot of people who like to keep up with the major things in Jo’s life, none of which have anything with her breaking wind.

I’m not trying to sound snappish, but I think the fandom deserves more credit than you’ve given them.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think that every news item is worth consideration, personally I don’t get all the awards show nomination things(although nice I’m sure but in the grand scheme of life who cares if so and so won a solid gold grapefruit) The reality is that I don’t think any one of us walks around living our lives like we are at Hogwarts but most of us just enjoy the books and commend the author in the creation of them. Everyone is most certainly entitled to their opinion but in no way does that give anyone the right to call down others who don’t share that opinion. Being crass and demeaning of others surely shouldn’t be a part of a fan website. I’m sure there are other sites devoted to being overtly critical and would welcome your opinion but I don’t think it belongs to a fan site devoted to supporting the author, books, actors and movies.

On a side note, it amazes me what people would type online and not have the balls to say to someone to their face….

Posted by SPF on March 03, 2008 @ 05:34 PM

Allow me to translate this for you from a mundane, polite requite, to what it really is, a nasty message designed to infuriate and irritate. translation is as follows… ” Chris is right JKR sucks, what a @#%$# HP means more to her than her dead mother and kids. You are all just a bunch of patethic HP fanatics. GET A LIFE”...As Shakespeare said “A rose by any other name, would smell as sweet” in other words posts like yours(SPF) and your friends are stinky no matter how civil they are. If this post is deleted by Leaky because of my translation, I would implore you to delete the offending post also. I do not like being called a FANBOY, especially in a nice civil forum like this.

Avatar Image says:

How exciting to be embarking on new writing adventures! I look forward to her next characters…in adult’s or children’s fiction. She has a knack for intertwining humor with real life and fantastical trials. I’m sure we’ll see these talents emerge again in her future works.

Avatar Image says:

correction< I think Beedle the Bard proves Jo is NOT a one trick pony. (an important word wasn’t typed in sorry)

Avatar Image says:

<I do have to say, I think it’s very odd that someone who was supposedly so affected by her mother’s death would refer to the end of the book series she was writing as “the biggest emptiness in my life”. A big emptiness, I can understand, but the biggest emptiness? Posted by Marauder on March 03, 2008 @ 03:43 PM <

I concur. A very strange comment to make. I find it interesting that 18% of the vote in TLC poll say they don’t care what she writes next, it’s Harry only for them.

Avatar Image says:

one trick pony would imply she only had a SINGLE successful book. she had 7 sucessful novels, an three charity books that were a resounding sucess raising tens of millions of dollors of charity.

also, to clear up a few misconceptions, harry potter is not the first novel she wrote, it is simple the first one she got published.

and chris, just give it up. jk rowling has worked on harry potter for 17 years. that is a long time. get a brain, to be working that long on something, when you finish it, most people would feel a emptiness, that DOES NOT MEAN SHE HATES HER FAMILY! honestly.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, I insulted her and I still mean it. Thank you for the compliment anyway. Well, the day is much longer than the time I spend here so don´t worry about me wasting my time. It´s nice you are concerned. I fear it doesn´t matter how one expresses their critics here. I have read really polite criticism and still those people get insulted in return.

Well, you know Jo has reached so many people with her books and that´s why it is not unimportant if ex-readers get angry at her. She has money she has influence she has spread her morals with the books. And I don´t deny that a lot of what she had to say is morally correct, at least she tries to. But still there are this major moral flaws in the books: the use of old stereotypes when it comes to different peoples and races, the flayed baby in the end, the Cruciatus-curse Harry used. In addition the many mistakes…..

I agree

Avatar Image says:

DOES NOT MEAN SHE HATES HER FAMILY!

Did anybody say that?

Avatar Image says:

I fear it doesn´t matter how one expresses their critics here. I have read really polite criticism and still those people get insulted in return. Posted by secunda on March 04, 2008 @ 09:04 AM

I fear that all criticism is becoming more and more harsh and unjustified. Why not have a discussion on a more appropriate forum? This is a comment section about JKR writing another book. Yet critics feel they must let their VOICES be heard. Please spare us from the victim stance critics so often take.

(But still there are this major moral flaws in the books: the use of old stereotypes when it comes to different peoples and races, the flayed baby in the end, the Cruciatus-curse Harry used. In addition the many mistakes…..)

You saw a flayed baby, I saw the disgusting creature Voldemort was at the beginning of GOF. You see Harry using the Cruciatus curse, I see a boy desperate to avenge his Godfather’s death by biting, scratching and clawing his much more evil murderer. Yet all critics bash Harry and never Bellatrix.

respect: I exspected someone will bring in this word. Let me just say that I regard it as a sign of disrespect towards her readers that she uses the limited effect of the Polyjuice Potion to base the plotlines of two books upon (2,4) and in the last book she just overthrows it. I don´t care that much about smaller mistakes. Some facts she just might have forgotten, but the PjP was very important. Posted by secunda on March 04, 2008 @ 09:04 AM

Polyjuice was not the base of the plotline in 2, it was introduced in 2 and used to full effect in 4, and later books. It is a plot device, but no more than a scalpel is to a doctor drama or bullets in a western. It is so easy to point out things that in your opinion are contrived cliches apparent in HP, but it is much harder when you try to justify them against other literary devices used in countless books and movies. Or for that matter justify their non-use as a literary device. Why not just start a polite conversation about whether or not polyjuice potion is overused? Don’t just fling cliched non constructive criticism and disguise it as intelligent banter with big words and a more truthful perception.

Avatar Image says:

I believe that JKR’s decission to continue writing books for children is the correct career move for her. It is difficult for the adament fans who frequent this and other Harry Potter fan sites to realize that possibly more of her adult fans were extremly disappointed with Deathly Hallows then is represented on the fan sites. It appears to me that JKR still has a strong hold on her adoring child fan who believe that she is some kind of “Queen” who can do no harm, but I do believe that she has disappointed more of her adult fans then maybe even she realizes. I am starting to believe from what I have seen elsewhere that the disappointed adult fan might actually be a silent majority rather then a minority. These fans have simply taken their disappointment and moved on with their life. I doubt that they would automatically buy an adult book written by JKR, but the worshipping children would want to buy anything she writes.

This is my 2cents on this subject.

Avatar Image says:

Just one word. I want those who said all JKR fans see her as some sort of deity to stop generalizing for goodness sake. I am a fan of her but I know she can be mistaken as any other human (the goat joke being a great one, IMHO). I think she is a great writer and a pretty good role model for celebrities. Maybe my standards for a great writer aren’t as high as someone as well read as many of you, but I still think that writing 7 books is no easy feat. Plus, to make people emotionally attached to her characters/work enough to have some of them going from fans to haters proves my point.

Avatar Image says:

BTW, what I said above, that she can make mistakes, it really is only my humble opinion, I cannot judge her from other place than the one I belong to, the one of a mere reader.

Avatar Image says:

For me the receipe for the Polyjuice P. is each year more investigated and therefore expands the timelimits. We see in the HBP that Snape makes a note of his own experience into his schoolbook with each Potion. Harry using the embettered version wins in every class over Hermione who is staying by the official version.

So well, for me the Pjp in DH is just a better version of the standard book, it´s made by Mad Eye, who has a lot of experience. So it´s no real contradiction for me.

I loved Harry using the crutiatus and imperius curses. I was tired that only the “bad boys and girls” were using them.

For me all seven books are great and I have learned and reflected a lot about them.

I enjoy the books so much, that I am not bothered to look for “mistakes” or such stuff. I have all the audiocasettes and love to hear them over and over again.

Cho to Harry in the DA “Don´t be such a killjoy”

Avatar Image says:

Anyone who could come up with a world as vast and detailed as Harry Potter’s is no “one-trick” anything. That was a very ignorant comment to make.

Nonetheless, the results of her efforts will be a song in the hearts of millions for many many years to come, and that is considerably more than most people can claim.

Best wishes to her, and may she continue finding happiness in all that she pursues.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, yes, of course I know what she wanted to say. When I read GoF I was maybe still too young to realize how infuriating this is. Remember, Jo has many young readers, who maybe never in their whole life have seen a baby that was born crippled (sorry, I know this word has a bad ring). It´s not that she really meant a flayed baby but the association is in her mind: a crippled soul is represented by a crippled body. Don´t you think that now in the back of some reader´s mind this thought is lurging everytime they see a flayed baby: oh looks like Voldemort? Although we are not aware of it the brain does not forget anything!

Without Polyjuice Potion the whole fake-moody-story had not worked. And without a time-limit I´m sure DD had used it to its full extend for his order members.

Anyway, she too has messed up with the patronus in the last book.

Or can you explain to me why Snape´s patronus represents Lily as the wife of James? Really something that makes the old git happy?

Avatar Image says:

This is my 2cents on this subject.

Posted by Paintball on March 04, 2008 @ 12:38 PM

Hello, Paintball!

Where you not the one with the trap-theory? You were kind of right were you not. In the end there was a trap!

Anyway, I agree .the adults I met here on Leaky have created their own site even before DH, because they were tired of this over worship. They wanted to discuss! The majority of them I guess liked HP, before DH came out. Then they had nothing but sarcasm for it. And those were the guys with the interesting threads here on Leaky! Although I have realised that some members of this new site were in favor of DH they have swung in by now. This is dissapointing, too. As I sayed I do not like one opinion-sites. But most of them disliked DH from the go.

Avatar Image says:

Snapes patronus is the same as has Lily becasue he loved her all his life. Is this so dificult to understand. Love does not depend on marriage or else, it´s a feeling that someone has or has not. In the case of Snape he has.

Snape luuuurved Lily

I am no youngster and I love DH best of all seven books, it´s fantastic, beautiful and verrrry well writen. I loved the trio intruding MoM and gaining over Umbridge and the scum. And smashing half Gringotts. Huii and Neville decapitating Nagini. And Mollys fight over dear Bella.

The description of V mermed body is a fantasie, he has no skin and is in an other world, no one: baby or adult can life without a skin.

Pls don´t underestimate the wisdom and logic of our kids. Mines certainly know the difference between fiction and reality.

Avatar Image says:

Eva Hedwig, I agree. I have never actually seen a crippled baby before, but I have seen pictures of babies with birth defects, and I have never once had “Voldemort” flash across my mind. Actually, in my mind dead Voldemort and Voldemort’s soul have always looked black and wrinkly (whereas a pure soul looks transclucent and somewhat liquidy-sounds dumb but looks totally AWESOME). At the risk of sounding like a moron, what does “flayed” mean?

Avatar Image says:

Strange situation, strange discussions. Read other books people. Harry Potter is over for good.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t belive people are on here scrutinising a comment Jo made about the end of the series and then comparing it to the death of her mother?! Good God people can we please show some respect! Bloody hell

Anyway, I happen to be in Edinburgh this weekend, anybody got a tip for a cafe?!

Avatar Image says:

When Jo wrote book 7, she said some would like, some would not. A book, like any other work of art, is a matter of perception, and how one sees it. A so-called “adoring child fan of Jo’s” would still say DH was bad if he/she didn’t like it. Children don’t lie, and neither are they hypocrites. You won’t catch anyone below 16 making up adoring threads on one site and saying the book was bad on another. But the fact is, that’s the way the series was always supposed to end, whether or not it would’ve become a phenomenon. And holding that against Jo, because she kept the ending as it is, without making it into something else just for fans sake, is pretty harsh. It takes guts to keep the plot as it is, knowing full well that she’d be met with criticism for it from many quarters. And just because DH didn’t meet upto some readers expectations DOESN’T mean Jo is a “one-trick pony”.

Snape luuuurved Lily

Oh please, of course his patronus represents lily, because he loves her. But why does it not take a shape that represents her before she fell in love with James.

Jo said lily had this patronus after she got together with james. So why was it not a stag? why is it that her patronus suddenly represents her? Wasn´t it supposed to show where your heart is? You see Lily is a doe, because she lives with a stag. But why is her patronus a doe, too and not a stag?

It doesn´t matter if the baby could live without a skin or not (have to go into this charité-museum where they exhibit maimed babys to check if ever one was born without skin.) The problem that a defect body was used to indicate the state of the soul is a faschistic view- kind of.

Avatar Image says:

ah forgot to add: of course the kids know the difference, but- and this is not only true for kids -when it comes to instinctive reactions pictures like that start to work.

Avatar Image says:

The Patronus chooses you – not you the patronus, If you change emotionally the patronus changes with you- like with Tonks.

It was supposed that only an adult could produce a patronus, and at Harrys Hearing there was a reat astonishment, when he sayed he used one.

I think that Lily began to produce a Patronus after leaving school and beeing in Love with James it was a doe. Snape maybe made a patronus after school too and well it was the same as Lily. No contradiction for me.

V. splitted his sould in parts, so energetically there is not much left from him when he dies. This is a consecuence of his acts not a punishment. If I heat water and pull it over me, I burn myself. = logic consecuence

I think that it is important to have the consciousness that we are responsible for our acts, and V. got his result.

This does not mean that a baby born with fisical or emotional problems was or is “bad” it´s a consecuence of something. Like: medicaments or alcohol, drugs,, working in an unhealthy environment ….problems during the birth process.. This is not bad or good, thats life in different expresions.

I have seen a reasonable number of babies with different problems, and never have felt horrible at the look at them: I feel compasion and the looks in there eyes are very special, comming from their heart.

Harry who is very compasionate tried three times to come closer to V. maimed body, but could not as he felt repulsion. I can understand this, some people have such bad energy that instinctively one turns away.

V. had just died, so he has years, tausend of years to go to a purification process to became whole again. And so when he is whole again can be reborn to get a new change to be “a better man, a better wizzard”

Hi Secunda

Sadly the posters who kept telling me that the Harry Potter books were for children and that the plots did not have to be reasonable were correct. My sole reason for my SS/PS trap theory and my Deathly Hallow trap theory was to try to prevent the plot of SS/PS and HBP from being an idiot plot. Sadly I was wrong and the plot of both turned out to be idiot plots along with the idiot plot of Deathly Hallows. When Hermione told Harry that she had obtained the Horcrux books by accio through an open window in Dumbledore’s office after his death, I was so angry I threw the book across the room where it stayed for the rest of that day and night. I couldn’t force myself to pick it up and continue reading until the next day.

This meant Dumbledore assigned to three teenagers the task of destroying the horcrux, but not bothering to tell them how to destroy one. How stupid and absurd does this cause the plot of HBP to become especially with the revelation that he knew he was dying. I could go on and on, but instead I will just state again that JKR needs to write for children. Idiot plots don’t bother them. Most of their books are idiot plots so the children can be the hero instead of the adults. I think she has made the correct career move.

Avatar Image says:

With PS I agree, Yes it was meant for children. And Jo said so herself. She said it about the rest, too. But after so many adults started to read them, well she had to say they were interesting for adults, too.

I´m not bothered that teenagers are the heros. Why not? That happens in real life, too. But you are right: Why has Dumbledore not told Harry how to destroy the horcruxes? It had not changed the plotline just spared us a few pages.

I can imagine that accio-books was a desperate move and it unexspectedly worked. But I didn´t like that. It was too convenient. Why would DD keep them in his office instead of destroying them?

Voldemort was obsessed with Harry and had built his own trap in GoF. In this case DD could just lean back and let things ´unfold`. And if he had always suspected that Harry was a horcrux then he had no other choice than to asign the task to the boy.

Well, in PS one could argue that DD gave Harry the invisibility cloak that he could reach the room with the stone so Volds would touch him what led to destruction of Quirrell´s body. But I suppose, as we are never told so and still leaves many questions, this is just my own fantasy and not Jo´s plan.

I thought about it once more: I´m not sure if we can really judge Jo´s ability to write for adults from HP. The series started as series for children. But during the process it seems that Jo got tempted to write more ´grown-up`, but in the end she still had child readers and had to make a step back. Or not.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, of course. And if this happens it`s clear that it´s the other´s fault and not your own imagination.

Avatar Image says:

And yet again, people like Rachel don’t get it.

Do you know the woman you refer to so casually as “Jo” personally? I consider that unlikely. And yet so many of seem to act like you do. You have no investment in her or her life, only the product she periodically creates & SELLS you.

I’ll continue to buy her product as long as it interests me, but I really don’t see the point in wasting energy slavishly following every detail of her life as if there’s some importance in it to you personally.

I think someone else said it already, but seriously people, cut the cords. You’re nothing to her but a means of putting her children through school one day.

That nonsense such as “the fandom” even exists as something tangible to you is sad enough, but many of you take this all much too far.

Such as dumbledweeb. Where exactly do I refer to you (or anyone in that post) as a “fanboy?” Enlighten me, please. Perhaps that is baggage that you yourself carry. And you yourself own the blame for it.

However, is it that difficult for you to accept that not everyone considers the author of these books…and that’s all she is, really, an author of books, some sort of deity? Please come up with a better retort than childish twaddle like “Get a life.” I’m sure you’re older than that & can probably come up with something if you try very hard?

SPF

Yes, I’m an incredible idiot for liking an author and caring that she is writing another book that I will probably read and like. I’m also an idiot for wanting to find out more information about any charitable organization and am thrilled that said organization will get more notoriety and help more people when a famous person brings it to the public’s attention. So yes, we should feel completely furious with Leaky for posting such news on the site when no one is forcing you to read or care about that particular news story. Obviously, if you don’t want to hear about something, then no one does.

Avatar Image says:

There are books I don´t bother to read after turning a few pages or even after a few sentences. If one considers that HP is “idiotic” from the start to end, why bother to read it ? Why bother to enter Leaky ? WHy bother to post a comentary?

I myself love books where children are rebellious and safe the world or part of it,. I am tired of incapable, powerhungry, egoistic, corrupt, ... adults who destoys the word spreading unhappiness like dementors. I couldn´t get enogh from her in books and movies.

As kid I loved Pipi Langstrumpf, she is so amazing and so all by herself

Well DD took the Horcruxbook out of the library and kept it. It was no big risk to do so. There were no potential seeker on the plan on how to make a Horcrux.

I found it very clever from Hermione to sumon it before leaving school. She is a very gifted witch and has a sense of whats needed to be done.

DD gave Harry the cloak to stroll arround and find out things for himself. Especially to find the mirror and learn how to use it, what was important to beat V.

HP is basically a childrens book, for younger and older kids without age limit. Her kids are growing up each year and thats fantastic, she is unique with this. SO every year they have other adventures ahead of them in a different kind of way and more mature.

Avatar Image says:

Wow. I have to agree with everyone who disagrees with Lynn and Secunda. I 150% agree with Cat because when i have my children, i will share with them the wonders of this book and her incredible author. these books inspired me to read and i would hate to hear anyone insulting them or their author! Jo is my hero and one day i wish i could write something even half as decent as her books were!

Avatar Image says:

This is great that you’re shedding light on these new novels, but does anybody know what they’re about?

Avatar Image says: THIS IS SO GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOPE SHE WILL GET IT DOWN SOOON!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE HARRY POTTER AND J.K. ROWLING FOR WRITING ITAvatar Image says: HEY SORRY I SPELLED DONE DOWN HAHA HARRY ROCKSAvatar ImageGiant Squid says: YES!!!

Write a Reply or Comment