J. K. Rowling Included on 2008 Forbes Billionaire List

108

Mar 06, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Forbes Magazine has released their annual list of the world’s billionaires and, once again, Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling has been included as part of their 2008 ranking. Named among the Celebrity Billionaires, Ms. Rowling is the only author on their list. Forbes notes the following:

Once a single mother living on welfare in a cold-water flat in Edinburgh, Scotland, Rowling is now the only billionaire author on our list. The seventh and last installment of her wildly successful Harry Potter series was released last July to throngs of rabid fans who made it the fastest-selling book of all time. More than 11 million copies were sold in the first 24 hours. Feeding the Potter hype machine: The film version of the fifth book came out the same month.

Readers will remember J. K. Rowling made the 2007 Forbes list as well.

21 Responses to J. K. Rowling Included on 2008 Forbes Billionaire List

wow way to go jo

sweet first post!

Avatar Image says:

Why are fans considered “rabid”? Really, is anyone sick around here?

And does anyone think good literature needs “hype” to hold its popularity? Hrmph. Silly tone, not silly accomplishment.

Way to go, Jo! Cheers to you!! \O/

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations God! (I mean JK Godly) I think I know why she’s so successful: magic. Her money is magic. Her series is magic. Her life is magic. JKR is magic. :D

Avatar Image says:

I am very glad for our Jo and hope she will be in this list for the next 30 years at least.

The more money she has the more she can help humanitarian projects

I hope that her new books, which I await avidly will sell worldwide too

Avatar Image says:

It’s so bizarre to think of her as a billionaire! Talk about rags to riches.

Avatar Image says:

le sigh Loving what you do and getting rich for it!

Avatar Image says:

Yay, congrats Jo! Haha, I’m pretty sure she’ll be on this list for the rest of her life. :P

Avatar Image says:

what # did she come in!??? and CONGRATS YOU R MY ROMADEL!!!

Avatar Image says:

WOW!!! Congrats Jo!!!! May you be on that list every year!! I can’t think of anyone more deserving than her,and it feels good to know that some money in this world is in the hands of someone who’ll try to make it a better place to be. Love you Jo!

Avatar Image says:

For anyone wondering, she was tied at the bottom of the list at 1062, along with a lot of other people who had “only” $1 billion (I think this list has every billionaire on it.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know… do we really need lists like that???

Avatar Image says:

“Rabid”? I think they mean “avid”! That is so heartwarming to hear JK’s story though. If anyone deserves to be a billionaire, she does. She deserves it for touching the lives of so many readers. She is an inspiration.

Avatar Image says:

As Jo knows only too well, this story will be read in totally different ways on either side of the pond !

And no -I am not going to say which interpretation I prefer.

Avatar Image says:

Well said Ann! I too “I’m glad that such a large sum of money is in the hands of such a caring, deserving woman.”

What is also endearing or admirable is that she shares it with so many well deserving charities!

Avatar Image says:

I’m starting to feel taken advantage of. I mean, every publication makes a mention of Jo and of course her fans are interested… but I think it’s a way to sell magazines, by adding Jo to their ‘lists’.

Ten most famous bottle blondes! Jo Rowling at number 7… etc… put Jo in your list, and get a ‘bump’ from the fandom.

I hope Jo gets a cut from these mags that toss her name around to increase their revenues. She deserves every penny of her riches, I think. I’m so happy that such a wealthy person is also just a wonderful human being all round.

Congratulations Jo…

No surprises there. And… I’m grateful I was able to contribute by buying my two copies :-)

As a Christian, I don’t think her success was an accident.

I think God picked her to be successful, because he knew she would use her gift to help as many people as possible.

Again,

Way To Go Jo!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Je to prostě spisovatelka s velkým S !!! Má perfektní fantazii velké srdce , mít takovou mámu ,jsem na ni řádně pyšná!

Congratulations, Mrs. Rowling!

What I am pleased to see about the people on this list is that many of them, despite entertaining such wealth, have devoted themselves to charitable causes with a passion one rarely sees.

J.K. Rowling, like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates, deserves to be congratulated for her work from which all of society has benefited, and even more so for all the tremendously beneficial social work she is doing.

Avatar Image says:

I’m happy to say I happily contributed to her getting on the Forbes list. I sure got value for my money! Well done Jo!

Avatar Image says:

She is one of the few people that I am happy-eager, even, to invest my money in. (you heard me right~~that book IS an inventment)

Write a Reply or Comment