121

Mar 13, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Warner Brothers has now issued their formal press release on making Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in two films. Following on what we reported yesterday, Warner Brothers confirm again that David Yates will direct both films, marking the first time any one director will helm more than two releases in the Harry Potter film franchise, with Steve Kloves to continue on as screenwriter and David Heyman and David Barron to produce. Jeff Robinov, President of Warner Brothers said “It has been an honor for our studio to be entrusted with bringing J.K. Rowling’s extraordinary book series to the screen, and we have always felt a great responsibility to be true to her vision. In concluding the film franchise, we recognized that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is packed with vital plot points that complete the story arcs of all of its beloved characters. That said, we feel that the best way to do the book, and its many fans, justice is to expand the screen adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and release the film in two parts. We could not imagine the final chapter of the film franchise being in better hands than those of David Yates.”

Additional quotage from the release is as follows: “This is a very special moment for us, as it is the final episode in the great journey that J.K. Rowling undertook more than a decade ago’ said Alan Horn, President and COO, Warner Bros. Entertainment. “It has been a journey for all of us at Warner Bros. as well, and we are confident that our filmmakers will finish our series of films as a fitting complement to Jo’s completion of Harry’s story on the page.”

“Over ten years ago, we made a commitment to Jo Rowling that, above all else, we would be faithful and true to the spirit of her books, and ever since we have endeavored never to compromise on the creative ambitions of the films. The Deathly Hallows is so rich, the story so dense and there is so much that is resolved that after discussing it with Jo, we came to the conclusion that two parts were needed to do it justice” said David Heyman. “I am thrilled that David Yates is returning to direct ˜The Deathly Hallows.’ He is both inspired and inspiring and is a passionate fan of the remarkable world and characters Jo has created. I know he will lead our incomparable cast and crew”most of whom have been with us since the very beginning”in bringing the series to the unforgettable conclusion it deserves.”

Director David Yates remarked, “I’ve had great pleasure working with a tremendous cast and crew thus far, on both ˜the Order of the Phoenix’ and ˜the Half-Blood Prince.’ It’s a wonderful world to work in and be part of and to create within, and I consider it a great privilege to continue to bring Jo’s extraordinary world to the screen, and to be the director to complete this epic and exhilarating journey.”

As reported previously, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part one and Two will be filmed at the same time, beginning production in February of 2009, with “Deathly Hallows: Part One” to be released in movie theaters November of 2010, and Part Two due May 2011.

217 Responses to Official WB Press Release on Two Part Movie of “Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

Well,now it’s official..let’s hope that they are going to be two great films, even when separated…Go David Yates!!!My wishes are with you!!!

That’s so damn cool! Go Warner Brothers! xD

Avatar Image says:

That’s so great!!!Thank you,WB!!

Avatar Image says:

Oh this is really good news! We will actually get to hopefully see almost everything in DH then! I was a little leary but Im glad they are really thinking this through. You can leave any big parts out you just cant!

Thanks for the info!!!

Avatar Image says:

I am very surprised, I had not read rumors or anything about it so… I think it’s a bit weird that is happening for HB…. But I believe it’s a good decision.

Avatar Image says:

I meant to say above….you CANT leave anything out….geez to early in the am!! :)

Avatar Image says:

So where to split the story?

1. The dramatic events at the Gringotts ending with the escape on the dragon? 2. Ron’s departure from the forest? 3. The killing of the first horcrux? 4. The point where Harry decides “We need to go to Godrics Hollow”?

I need to reread the book with a split in mind…

Avatar Image says:

Fantastic! By the way, when are we going to get a teaser trailer for HBP or some pictures?

Avatar Image says:

Fantastic!!!! It’s a great news!!!

Avatar Image says:

Debbie – 3, definitely 3.

The first film will be much more cerebral and introspective and the second all action.

Avatar Image says:

I see the split right after Ron comes back… you can’t end it after Christmas – too many things up in the air. You need a solid path laid out for the second movie… somewhere around visiting Mr. Lovegood?

But David Yates? No!!!! Come on! I was really getting into the idea of Guillermo del Toro doing it! Can you imagine Pan’s Labyrinth meets Harry Potter???

Avatar Image says:

Woot! You know we can never get enough, so two movies will be awesome. I definitely think the first one should end with Ron’s return and the destruction of the first Horcrux. It’s halfway through the book and a satisfying moment for the ending of the movie.

Avatar Image says:

If they’re doing this as two parts, I would hope each part is at least 2 hours. Otherwise there’s hardly a reason to do it as it would simply feel like a double dip by Warner into the fans’ pockets. Which it is anyway.

But if they do two parts that are barely 90 minutes each, it’s going to feel like a movie that could have been done in a single 2.5 hour release. What’s the point for a fan?

Remember they filmed enough of Phoenix to potentially make a 3 hour movie and ended up cutting (mercilessly I’m guessing) in editing. If they extend that to a four hour movie and cut each part down by 30 minutes, I think that is ultimately a very shady thing to do.

I like Yates a lot. But I still would have loved to have seen what certain other directors would have done with this world. Edgar Wright, Joss Whedon, etc. Still, at least they’ll have the same guy doing the last three movies and there can be some consistency of vision and storytelling to the end of the thing.

Avatar Image says:

Where to split is going to be a big debate so here’s my take on it. I think there’s a heck of a lot of camping and crap they do(yep, pretty darned dry but necessary since that is how war really is) so in my mind there are 2 potential places to cut it off. First place is after Godric’s Hollow at Christmas And I think the final scene should be Harry visiting the house where his parents died and seeing the magical inscription. Second potential might be Shell cottage. I know it’s late in the book but gees the last part of the book is sooooooo dense and I want the Hogwarts battle done right!!! The key scene in the whole book is Chapter 34 and I wanna see that right the way through on screen as written by Jo. If you do it this way you can skip over a lot of the camping stuff in the first movie.

Avatar Image says:

just about all the movies have come out every year… if 6 is coming out later this year… why is the first part of 7 not coming out until 2010?

but otherwise… i am SO excited for the 6th movie… and so pumped that they are making 2 of the 7th… but i guess it depends on where they split it… because i might not want to wait the entire year to see the rest of it.. .

BUT at least they wont leave much.. if anything.. out!

:-)

thanks for the update Leaky!!

M-B-W

Avatar Image says:

Debbie – 3, definitely 3.

Avatar Image says:

I liked Yates. I think he’ll do it justice. And can I just say YAAAAAHHHOOOO that we might just get everything out of the book for once! Not have it spliced to oblivion for the sake of saving movie time. I’m deliriously happy. No way could they (any director, any screenwriter, any actor) have done it justice in a mere 2.5 hours.

Of course WB has to recognize that they’ll also be getting twice as much in ticket and dvd sales. At this point, I don’t care, as long as they make the movies worth 2 separate movies and not just for the sake of dragging it out.

KA-CHING.

Avatar Image says:

This is sooooo great!!!! The only trouble Im having with it is…where are they going to ‘to be continued’ it? My guess would be In Godrics Hollow, right after the whole ordeal, as Harry and Hermione leave. Any thoughts???

Avatar Image says:

I am glad that they are doing this, and I am overjoyed that they got David Yates as the director, but, if they mess these movies up, then the hardcore fans will be very unhappy. I hope they do this right.

yeaaah

Avatar Image says:

Not too happy about Yates directing again coz i was dissapointed with OOTP but hopefully he’ll do it justice and not leave anything out this time. fingers crossed! In the press release they said they wanted to be true to the books, thats total crap. Its a money scam. If they wanted to be true to the books they would have made OOTP longer and more detailed, focusing on relationships. I thought the Harry/Cho thing was a joke, and why was there only ONE Ron/Hermione scene. Anyway i’m not gong to complain or mention the long list of mistakes I noticed in OOTP there’s no point. I just hope they do better with the next 3 films. Anyone agree? If you dissagree thats fine I don’t mind, please don’t bite my head of for having an opinion.

Avatar Image says:

@ Panz , whether you think so or not its not to make more money – Dan already said that its in the best interest of the book and its the last film. I am very happy about it, there are alot of things that are too important to keep out and explain, I just hope that they bring back some of the other characters like Dobby. And all the actors return.

Avatar Image says:

Victoria – it has to be after Ron comes back and they can end on an up note celebrating the destruction of the first Horcrux.

I see many of you like Yates as director. There was a lot of venom towards him in responses to the last article and I didn’t understand it. I liked Order of the Phoenix – Umbridge was a gem and young Daniel Radcliffe’s t-shirt was just the right level of tightness in the opening scene – reow!

Avatar Image says:

I think Shell Cottage would make the most sense in my mind. Yes, it’s not in the middle of the story, but it ends on a dramatic note: The death of Dobby. Then you can begin part two by breaking into Gringotts. There are a couple of problems though: 1) we haven’t seen Dobby since film 2. Will none book fans care if this weird creature dies? 2) Part two will be a little short, but definitely action packed. The battle scene could be an hour and a half in and of itself.

The one thing I think they have to do regardless of where they cut the film will be moving the Xeno scene to earlier in the film. You can’t call a film Deathly Hallows if it’s not explained in the first part of the film.

Avatar Image says:

I am reading Deathly Hallows again with a new “atitude” ... sort of …. Now it is like “Oh Good they can include …” rather than “I hope they don’t have to edit out …”

I am so looking forward to actually seeing wonderful details on screen rather than just in my mind’s eye. Malfoy Manor, the return of Ollivander and Dobby, Bill and Fluer, the Battle at Hogwarts! ...the list is endless! I’m so excited!!!!!

I can’t wait to see the Epilogue … I know I will have tears in my eyes … I did with the book so I am sure it will happen with the movie!

I am so glad that WB had the insight to leave this monumentally important part of the cherished series in such capable hands! And that he accepted the challenge! I am not just referring to the Director but ALL the techies and actors that have labored so long to bring our favorite author’s cherished series to life!

Thank You Jo! and Thank You WB for staying true!

Avatar Image says:

Good point mollywobbles: We haven’t seen Dobby since moive two so are people who have never read the books really going to care about his death. Its going to be so radom, in the films Harry hasn’t seen Dobby in years and he’s mourning his death. It won’t make sense to a lot of people.

Avatar Image says:

I am ecstatic about the 2-Film Release of Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows – but only if the 2 Films are of decent length. Let’s hope that at least one of the Harry Potter Books gets the screen time it deserves.

I can see why David Yates would continue on with the Harry Potter Franchise to keep continuity. A rare director can, like Peter Jackson – pull out many tricks from their hat. Let’s hope the magic of Hogwart’s has rubbed off on David Yates.

I hope to see Professor Mcgonagal’s writing desks turn into fighting defenders during the War of Hogwarts. It better not be in the deleted scenes now that the Deathly Hallows is in two parts.

This gives me something to look forward to – I quite liked it when the Matrix series left you with a cliff hanger. Please don’t split the films when Ron has a pout fest and parts company with Harry & Hermione. That’s not a cliffhanger! People will just think Ron spoiled the film from continuing on.

Avatar Image says:

Not too happy about Yates directing again coz i was dissapointed with OOTP but hopefully he’ll do it justice and not leave anything out this time. fingers crossed! In the press release they said they wanted to be true to the books, thats total crap. Its a money scam. If they wanted to be true to the books they would have made OOTP longer and more detailed, focusing more on relationships and character development. I thought the Harry/Cho thing was a joke, and why was there only ONE Ron/Hermione scene. The characters were badly portrayed i thought. The only two characters that were totally accurate were Luna and Umbridge. Anyway i’m not gong to complain or mention the long list of mistakes I noticed in OOTP there’s no point. I just hope they do better with the next 3 films. Anyone agree? If you dissagree thats fine I don’t mind, please don’t bite my head of for having an opinion.

Avatar Image says:

I just implore WB to change the soundtrack compositor… Nicholas Hooper was AWFUL! Please bring back John Williams for Deathly Hallows! The only thing that, unlike other films, I didn’t like about OotP was the direction of photography.

Avatar Image says:

They’ll probably still cut out Bill and Fleur in favor of Lupin and Tonks, Cat. It’s still not going to be the book on screen. I mean, you try reading the entire book in 4 hours, you can’t.

Avatar Image says:

Kerrie (oh my god, I can’t believe I’m starting an argument with you again) You are wrong, it isn’t a money scam. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I don’t think they will mind the extra money, but what they are saying is true. Unlike the other books, DH nearly hasn’t got any subplots, everything is important. They thought about doing GOF in two parts, but in the end they didn’t think it necessary. I they were so hungry for money, they would have already split up that movie.

Avatar Image says:

OMG this is so exciteing i am so happy they are going to split the movie in to two. Good Lock WB with everything…

Avatar Image says:

Well, Luckily Gerard, we got a new cinemaphotographer for HBP. We can’t say the same for Hooper (but I kind of liked the soundtrack on OotP). It would be fantastic to have John Williams back. I mean it’s John Williams for goodness sakes. Can you imagine what music he would make for Harry’s death scene?

Kerrie, getting back to Dobby, I wonder if they will just kill Kreature instead? At least the audience would know who he is. Granted, the book fans will be pretty upset. I still don’t think we would get the same emotion out of it that we would if Dobby had been around for the last couple films.

Avatar Image says:

Good point Redbeard we can never expect the films to be perfectly like the books. But saying that, I’m still annoyed that Bill and Fleur have been cut from HBP. I mean its the 6th movie and we still haven’t seen Bill or Charlie, Ron’s oldest brothers. its ridiculous. Also, how are they going to explain the wedding in DH without them getting engaged in HBP. And also, what about Bill getting attacked by Greyback, that was a huge event for the Weasleys and they aren’t going to include it? Thats madness! lol This is why I don’t like Yates….too much left out.

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone else think its a bit ironic at how the movies are now going to be 8, not 7 as everyone thought/expected and that voldemort tried to make 7 pieces of his soul, but really ended up making 8? I dunno, kinda interesting to me, lol. Perhaps I need to stop re-reading DH…..

Two thoughts:

From the WB perspective, I think this has a lot more to do with the fact that MGM is going to release “The Hobbit” as two films in 2010/2011 than it has to do with preserving the integrity of Jo’s work! Let’s not lose perspective on this.

From the fan’s perspective, I am thrilled! I have to agree with Debbie’s third option, too. I think that after the destruction of the locket is the perfect place to split the films. It means that the first film will wrap up with a dramatic/heroic moment, but it will also leave the audience with a cliff hanger (3Hc’s down, 4 to go!). Plus, they can reuse the destruction of the locket as the beginning of the final film…going so far as to change the images that come out of the locket to recap the previous film, if they want. Plus, this will keep the Hallows story within one film and not leave a lot of hanging plot points at the end of part 1.

Avatar Image says:

For me this is so great!!! Three more movies to wait for!!! My only worried is David Yate I do not know if he will be great to do final HP. Some fans didn`t like very much HP 5. For me I have to see the HP6 to decide.

In which part do they think will gonna split the movie? I hope it were in the Silver Doe.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not gonna argue with ya Redbeard don’t worry. I just think that if they really wanted to be true to the books all along they would have done OOTP more justice. I’m not bother listing all the things that were missing and inaccurate thats a waste of my time lol.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not gonna argue with ya Redbeard don’t worry. I just think that if they really wanted to be true to the books all along they would have done OOTP more justice. I’m not gonna bother listing all the things that were missing and inaccurate in OOTP thats a waste of my time lol but trust me when i say there was a lot. haha oh well i just hope the next 3 films are better. fingers crossed eh guys?

Avatar Image says:

ooooh YES YES YES im very happy about this. Whether you like Yates or not (I think he had such a difficult task with the amount of material in OOTP to stuff it into one movie anyway) He has the right approach ..it seems..to this franchise. He seems to be so in tune with the emotions and the journey these characters go through…I think they are correct in keeping him on.

just think everyone…more hogwarts…more movies..more harry… more more more more….I want it all! sighhh how long do we have to wait??

i am so pleased :-)

Avatar Image says:

While I’m enjoying seeing everyone play screenwriter, I think we’re overlooking the more immediate questions, such as: how long will each part be? 90 minutes? 2 1/2 hours? Somewhere in the middle?

Avatar Image says:

I reckon that each film will be roughly two hours. maybe a few minutes over or under that. I totally agree with John, even though i personally think yates is a crap director I am very excited that we get an extra film. Let the harry potter obsession continue for another few months haha. I’m just really annoyed that Yates is leaving out Bill and Fleur…

Avatar Image says:

Being a HUGE Harry Potter fan, I am excited about seeing the DH two films just to keep the excitment alive a bit longer, but I do believe this is just a money making scam! If there going to start splitting books, they should have started with OOTP! Plus I kinda want when I sit down for the big finale to leave feeling satisfied and not have to wait almost another year for the conclusion (2011, gees). It will be interesting to see HBP and how they edited that down. Just some thoughts!

Avatar Image says:

ooo ya! its my b-day! im gunna parT like it my b-day! GO HP!

Avatar Image says:

Wow thanks amy i totally agree, that was the point i was trying to make to redbeard. They should have split OOTP, its the longest book. Yes, the material is DH is more important but OOTP was a lot longer then DH so it would work out the same. They should have done this ages ago.

Avatar Image says:

I loved Yates’s OotP, don’t get me wrong. But four films in a row by the same guy? I did agree with WB’s initial principle that changing the director helped keep such an ongoing series fresh.

Also, whatever happened to all the big directors being excited by and queuing up for the final project? I know Del Toro’s busy doing two Hobbit films, but no one else stepped up?

And I still say, cliffhanger on the trio being captured and whisked off to Malfoy Manor. That way we have the optimism and accomplishment of Horcrux destroying/Ron’s return, but it’s a hook.

Avatar Image says:

I think I’d like to see them break it right after Ron leaves. that gives you a bit of a cliffy, we will have seen plenty of action (harrys escape, escaping the wedding/that coffee shop, and infultrating the ministry for the horcrux), part of the camping will be done, and while there’s some idea of what might lie ahead, there’s the whole herminio-must-choose/rons-departure conflict. Then part 2 can start with Godrics Hollow (which I cant believe I originally forgot about) and then Rons return and triumph over the horcrux. Maybe include GH in part 1, but that might be a bit of a downer to end on (what with Harry’s broaken wand, and the discovery of all the DD crap). I guess we’ll see!

Avatar Image says:

All I gotta say is the second half better be “Snape: The Movie”.

Avatar Image says:

I get ya Kerrie!!! Don’t get me wrong I am loving seeing an extra movie but to really stay true to the books, they should have split a few other books as well, which just makes one wonder why they are doing it only for the last one, maybe WB realizes that this is their last chance to squeeze some money out of poor Harry Potter! I am also gutted they are cutting out Bill and Fleur, so sad! I am not sure about Yates, have to see HBP!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with beth fishscale and beth. I wish Tim Burton or Alfonso would have agreed to direct DH. I dont’ like the idea of Yates doing a 3rd and 4th movie, especially because I found OOTP hugely dissapointing. I think that they should split DH either when Ron leaves, Godrics Hollow, or Malfoy Manor. They could make a cliff-hanger out of any of those events.

Avatar Image says:

“I found OOTP hugely dissapointing” posted by Kerrie.

Why, can I ask you Kerrie? because a lot was cut off? it’s not DIRECTOR”s fault, it’s the screenwriter, who does it. I think Yates is great, look how the actors played. I mean the trio. Esp. Dan, really good acting, and Emma’s too and Rupert.

Avatar Image says:

Amy, i could not agree with you more. hehe. I’m glad i’m not the only one who thinks OOTP should have been split. There was way too much missing…st mungos, quidditch, the ministry of magic, harry/cho, ron/hermione. Oh well lets hope they learn from their mistakes in HBP. I hope HBP is longer then OOTP. I won’t be happy if its shorter then it.

Avatar Image says:

THERE IS ONLY ONE THING I CAN SAY….Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Avatar Image says:

Tim Burton would be great and music by Tim’s fave Danny Elfman (Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride) would be kick-ass!!!

Avatar Image says:

Can’t wait!! I wonder how they will spilt it?? Maybe when Ron leaves or is that too early???

Avatar Image says:

“All I gotta say is the second half better be ‘Snape: The Movie’.” Posted by Saffron on March 13, 2008 @ 11:11 AM

lol…that would be a good title. ;) I was wondering what they would call each movie. Is it just going to be Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows 1 and 2. Or are they going to give one a completely new title? hmmmm…......Maybe I’m being silly and the answer is obvious, but I was just wondering.

Avatar Image says:

I am happy for the two part film that is awesome!!

But David Yates are you kidding me??!!!! This sucks!! He is totally going to ruin everyhting! Thanks a lot WB!!

Avatar Image says:

nope, i’ve read the press release they’re just calling it ‘part 1’ and ‘part 2’ How original! lol. Yea totally amy, i love the music in all Tim Burton’s films. And he already knows some of the cast, obviously his partner Helena Bonham Cater, Alan Rickman and Timothy Spall. He would have been perfect for Deathly Hallows. He would have made it so dark and creepy but added humour where appropriate too. I don’t think Yates is going to be able to do that personally judging from OOTP. Oh well…

Avatar Image says:

I think this two part film is just another way to drain the last bit of milk from the Potter cash cow, but that aside, why are you all being so mean to David Yates? He did a wonderful job with OotP, in no small part to HAVING A DIFFERENT SCREENWRITER. The fourth film was the worst, and I’m just glad they aren’t having Mike Newell back again.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with you Panz, KA-CHING. It’s Lucas and Star Wars all over again. Hopefully it won’t be as disappointing.

Avatar Image says:

Oops, sorry for the double post! :)

Avatar Image says:

This is great! I might go get the book now to see where it could split.

Avatar Image says:

Wow! well first of all, I’m so happy they are going to split the movie, and if they do do both movies over two hours I don’t mind paying $11.50 each time if they do justice to the story. Since I finished the book I’ve been expecting to hear they’d do like a 7 hour movie, I guess this is as close as I’m getting.

Now about Yates, I didn’t love OOTP I was really expecting to see another director, a new vision, like someone mentioned before seeing Del Toro, or even Cuaron again. I hope though that the problem with OOTP was the absence of Steve Kloves and that BP is going to kick some… well you know.

Avatar Image says:

Ginny Weasley: I agree that Yates is probably going to ruin everything coz OOTP was a nightmare when it came to detail and character development. Marrisa: I dissagree, OOTP was a huge dissapointment for me but perhaps it was the screen writers fault, not Yates. I’m not going to play the blame game, All i know is that there was too much detail missing from OOTP and the person responsible really should not be making a movie based on a book.

Avatar Image says:

I reckon the split will be Shell cottage. That scene when Harry’s just buried Dobby, and is stealing himself to chase the horcruxes and not the hallows. Then, the second film will just be “The Final Day”.

Here’s my thoughts.

I am so pleased that they are doing this movie right and adding absolutely everything. I think one of the best places to split the film would be right after Ron leaves, because it’s a dramatic way to set up the second movie. I also think, if you look at the book, the halfway point is The Silver Doe. So either of those two points, I think, would be a good divison between parts 1 and 2.

However, I’m not sure I like the idea of the 6 months separating the different releases. I personally think that’s a little long between parts. I know it worked for LOTR, but it still makes me a little leery for HP. I think the best way to go about it is to have part 1 come out during the Thanksgiving holidays (in the U.S.) and have part 2 come out just after the New Year.

But we’ll see how it works out.

Avatar Image says:

I do believe Bill & Fleur will be in this movie. Just because they were not physically cast in #6 does not mean they won’t be mentioned in the dialog. We havent seen, so we don’t know.

Kerrie- I believe the one major scene missing from OoTP was the cleaning of Grimmauld Place. The locket that doesn’t open, Kreacher saving his trinkets.

How do we get to the realization of the locket in 7? Flashbacks? It is what turns Kreacher “good” in DH. Will it be explained how Umbridge winds up with it, or she just has it out of nowhere, and Kreacher does not get redeemed.

At least with the Grimmauld/Kreacher/Mungdungus/Umbridge connection we will learn about RAB (no mention if that will be in HBP) and Kreacher will be redeemed leading…. to those who think killing off Kreacher would be a suitable replacement for killing off Dobby.

Maybe the “extra” scene in HBP will bridge the “missing” facts from OoTP to the DH movies. Since they did not know the ending while making OoTP.

Avatar Image says:

I guess we’ll have to disagree on that one. I think Kloves has cut so much more from his scripts, in addition to making Ron’s character an absolute weenie. He finally acted like Ron from the books in Phoenix, which I loved. I think all the relevant plot points were covered as well.

I really don’t see how you can completely blame a scriptwriter for all of the faults and the stuff cut. Do you all ever notice all the deleted scenes that are on dvds and some that just lay on the cutting room floor that we never see? Other people are in charge of cutting material besides the scriptwriter.

I guess this proves just how varied and diverse a group of fans we all are. ;)

Avatar Image says:

I personally agree that it’s a money making ploy… not on the actual artistic staff’s end, but the corporate-level executives. who cares, really? it will kind of be nice when this is all over and done with, really, and we’ll have some finality!

Avatar Image says:

What extra scene? Are you referring to them blowing up the bridge?

Avatar Image says:

Oh, yes, Ginny Weasley, you probably unlike people from WB and critics, have a degree in cinematography, why don’t you direct it? You are so totaly going to do an amazing job! I;m just tired of hearing all the whining. Get a grip, be happy, we are going to watch 3 more movies. and just remember, if you are not happy with the script, that’s screenwriter-not a director, who is by definition is: someone who supervises the actors and directs the action in the production of a show.

Avatar Image says:

Well of course they are trying to make more money. This is a large company, and their job is to make a profit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

You have to remember too, that this film could easily be the most expensive film ever made. If you include the majority of the scenes from the book, the sheer number of sets will be at least 3 times more than the previous films. They will be incredibly expensive to build . The computer graphics for the battle scene alone will be really expensive as well. Actually, having two release dates will give WB enough cash to make the film worthwhile. They’re trying to put out a decent product. Why be so bitter about it?

Avatar Image says:

Megan, LOTR in three movies, they never really split one book, in fact the combined six book into the three, so its a bit different, but I agree that is a long wait between the two!

Avatar Image says:

The extra scene will not be giving any info about OOTP OR DH i’m afraid. The extra scene is set in the Burrow. If you don’t want to know what happens do not read the following: Bellatrix and Greyback set the Burrow on fire and then there is a chase scene in the woods beside the Burrow with Harry,Greyback, Bella and Ginny. The twins Lupin and Arthur are in the beginning and end of the scene but are not part of the chase so to speak.

Avatar Image says:

WB are hardly hurting for money, but nice point.

And the Lord of the Rings was 3 books – 3 movies.

Avatar Image says:

Gees Mollywobble, we are TRUE fan, we have no interest in WB making money! We just want the movie to do justice to the book!

Avatar Image says:

WB are hardly hurting for money, but nice point.

And the Lord of the Rings was 3 books – 3 movies.

Avatar Image says:

I know this is about Harry Potter but tecnically LOTR is six books!

Avatar Image says:

WELL SAID AMY! OOTP did not do justice to the book.

Avatar Image says:

LOTR is a trilogy. There were three.

Avatar Image says:

I understand about splitting it, but, what I don’t understand is how the first part won’t be released till the end of 2010. Filming will begin next February. Surely the first part should be ready for spring or summer of 2010.

Avatar Image says:

well, no, LOTR is ONE book. At least Tolkien always said so.

Avatar Image says:

This makes me hopeful – OotP was a “cliff notes” version of the book in movie form – and making it into 2 movies should remedy that. I agree that they each need to be 2 hrs (or more) long to make it worthwhile for us to go see.

Avatar Image says:

For publication, due largely to post-war paper shortages, but also to keep the price down, the book was divided into three volumes: The Fellowship of the Ring (Books I and II), The Two Towers (Books III and IV), and The Return of the King (Books V and VI plus six appendices). This is from Wikipedia! SIX boos, three volumes,

Avatar Image says:

Anyways back to Harry Potter, I agree, there is far too much time between the two flims, it should be shorter, since it is just the one book!

Avatar Image says:

woohoo you go girl well done amy, show ‘em who’s boss!

Avatar Image says:

Why?? Will it be one whole film for the DVD? What are they going to call it DH part 1 and 2??

Avatar Image says:

Interesting about the DVD release! I am asuming there will be two DVD’s, but who knows??? Thanks Kerrie!

Avatar Image says:

I think Mollywobble you have a point. Deathly Hallows will be hugely expensive and I think it is wrong of anyone to imply that you are not a true fan by mentioning it. What a strange thing to say! I think all this negative attitude and doomsaying is completely pointless. Honestly guys we get an extra movie! And all those people moaning about Yates most of the reasons people disliked OotP was beacause of the editing. And with two movies it doesnt appear that this would be so much of a problem for Deathly Hallows. I am so excited! But the main reason I like Yates is beacuse, in my opinion, the cast appeared more like the characters they should be. Daniel for one was good in OotP, very believable. Whereas in the earlier films (PoA springs to mind) I wasnt that impressed. Of course his age might have been a factor there! Also how great is it to have a director who is actually a fan of the series!

Avatar Image says:

I’m very glad that David Yates is doing these films. Order of the Phoenix was my favorite in the series so far. And as long as he doesn’t completely destroy Half-Blood Prince, I have faith in him. Anyone but Alfonso Cuaron….

Avatar Image says:

ok, just to make it clear ’’The Lord of the Rings’’ is in fact a single novel, divided by Tolkien himself into six books. It has typically been published in three volumes, each containing two of Tolkien’s books. And back to HP world. :)

Avatar Image says:

I dont think anyone is saying that if you bring up a point about money to WB you are not a fan, we are just saying that as fans we could careless about WB making money. All the movies have been expensive to make, and they have also made millions too!!!

Avatar Image says:

Well Tarantino released Kill Bill in 2 seperate dvds. So They prob might do that with DH. Considering there is a 6 month gap between films, which is about the time a film takes from being on big screen to dvd. So part 1 could be released on dvd when part 2 is released at the cinema. Which does mean us fans will have to dig in our pockets at least 4 times (twice at the cinema, twice on dvd)

Avatar Image says:

Did I hear right or was it a rumor that Ralph Fiennes will not be return to play Voldemort in the last movie?

Avatar Image says:

Hahaha, good work Squibby!!!! :)

Avatar Image says:

WHAT!!!! No Ralph Fiennes….he was awesome!!!! Tear!

Avatar Image says:

I am happy for 2 parts. The books have always been differant from the movies. Book fans hate that but as a Movie fan I like how each movie is self contained story begining, middle, end. I agree some better than others. I had never read the books until after the 5th movie came out and just as movies they were good. Now that I have read them how do you do the 7th without a split. There are deffenatley 2 complete stories. I see them as the first starting (hopefully after the cool chase seen with 7 Harrys) with a wedding and ending at the house of the couple with good news ( a baby for Harry to God father) We all know (even if we don’t like it) that this plot will be changed to involve Lupin and Tonks and not Bill and Fluer. This is also the place where Harry decides Hallows or Horocrux so I see it as the turning point plot change. The second story starts with leaving this house and finding all the other Horocrux wich of course will give much more time to the battle. I hope that they do not cut Dobby (if they do who will they kill in is place), to much of Snapes memories, or the epilogue and honestly hope they find a way to invlove Bill and Fluer as will as Charlie and Percy but somehow I don’t think they will.

Avatar Image says:

I think he really enjoyed working with Mike Newell in GTOF.

Avatar Image says:

Well I know he won’t be HBP. Younger versions are going to be Voldemort instead. I certainly think he will be back in DH, unless he has a major falling out with the studio or something.

Avatar Image says:

I think they split the movies shortly after the escape from Malfoy manor. They end with Harry saying they’ll go after the horocruxes and ignore the hallows. It’s a bit after the halfway point but they can cut out some parts in the woods. Also, they could probably cut the visit to the Lovegoods as they can get the information about the Hallows from the book Dumbledore leaves Hermoine. Another theory—I think they’ll skip Dobbe and have Kreacher do the rescue and die at the end of the first part. Kreacher really doesn’t do anything in the later part of the book anyway and they can combine the parts. My one issue is whether there’s enough for another movie if they do the split after the escape.

Avatar Image says:

POA rocked tintanktonk please don’t blame Alfonso for Dan’s bad acting in POA. I thought the characters were much more accurate in POA anyway. Lupin, Sirius and Trelaney were just awsome in POA while in OOTP they kinda sucked in my opinion. Hermione was also the best in POA, she was actually tolerable. I cannot stand her in the other films but in POA she was kinda cool. Ron was also very cute accurate in POA, the argument between him and hermione was done pretty well i think. I giggled when RON said ‘Fine, the next time i see crookshanks, i’ll tell him sorry’ haha classic.

Avatar Image says:

No, you are both wrong Amy and Kerrie. Splitting up OOTP wouldn’t have made any sense at all. Yes it’s the longest book, but really not that much happens. Oh, we get to know that harry was ment to kill voldermort, big surprise! Even Jo Rowling in retrospect thought that the book was too long. I don’t mind them cutting unimportant stuff. I too think some things were cut that were better left in, I don’t think there was any reason to make to films, just 15 minutes extra would have been good enough. Now, DH is a different story. There are hardly any subplots and everything is important. Now that’s worth two movies. These movies shouldn’t be cut in half it wasn’t absolutely necassary. Just imagine that it would have taken minister Fudge two films to say: he’s back! That would be just stupid.

Avatar Image says:

Sirius was great in POA, and terrible in OOTP!

Avatar Image says:

Last I heard Ralph Fiennes is coming back as Voldemort but he will not be appearing in HBP. I very much doubt whether they would replace any of the main characters at this late stage. Also I think it is likely that they checked with all the actors about the extra work load and time (ie.to make two films instead of one) before making the announcment. Otherwise one of the main cast might schedule other work commitments in part of the time needed to make DH 1 and 2.

Avatar Image says:

Wow the commentboard is totally screwed up now. Sorry if I turn out to tell you the same story twice Kerrie.

Avatar Image says:

I am convinced that the the first deathloy hallows film will end with dobby dieing and the second will continue from there I am thrilled so now all of the fantastic detail on the boom can be in the film go warner brother!!!

Avatar Image says:

I wasnt blaming Alfonso kerrie, in fact I dont think I mentioned his name. But part of a directors job is to get the most out of the actors. All I was saying was that my opinion of Dan’s acting went up alot. Take from that what you will. I do think Hermione was good in POA but perhaps she overshadowed Harry a little?

Avatar Image says:

AWESOME! I loved OotP, so David Yates directing is great news! And two films, so nothing is left out! Even better! :) I don’t care that we have to wait a while. They are only releasing them six months apart, which is great! We get to hold on to the excitement for a while longer!!

Avatar Image says:

It occurs to me that the best place to split the book would be at Dobby’s grave right after Luna’s farewell. To me ,that has the feel of being , a great final moment.

Also, after that scene, the emphasis of the book shifted from them trying to figure out what to do, to them actively pursuing goals..i know that this isn’t completely accurate since they only went into the Ministry to get the thrid horcrux, but the “feel” of the book was different after Dobby died..

On the subject of splitting the book into two parts, I like that a lot better than OOP where , while it is true that they kept the essentials, they left out so much of the flavor .

I wasnt blame Alfonso I dont think I even mentioned his name!haha

Avatar Image says:

YAY! soooo glad there doing it in two parts! They better cast a fleur and bill now that there making two parts they have no excuse to cut out charachters.

Avatar Image says:

dear Kerrie, Alfonso IS the one to be blamed for bad acting, because he is the director, “he was their friend” was really awfull, Dan got better, not sure was it because he got older, or because the last 2 directors made him better. There wasn’t much room for adult actor in the 5th movie, they didn’t have much to do, and they did their best in the circumstances IMO.

Avatar Image says:

As long as Jo gets her payment, the actors are paid for the 8th film as a totally seperate film, then i can’t understand the negative response towards warner Brothers. They are in the business of making films, of making money on any film. thats what they do. Any film no matter who makes it is a cash cow!

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!! i dont even know were to beging i am sooooooooooooooo excited about it being split into two parts this is the best news ive herd all day ive been at school sinse 6am and now i can go to class and then work with a big smile on my face i cant wait to see the battle of hogwarts god i hope thay do it right there are so meny things i cant wait to see in this film and i think when they leave gringotts on the dragon is the perfect way to end the first part or when they viste godrics hollow i am so happy right about this thank u W.B

Avatar Image says:

For some reason my comments havnt been posted lets see if this one does…Anyway Kerrie in regard to my earlier comment I dont think I even mentioned Alfonsos name. All I was saying was that in OotP I lked Dans portrayl of Harry. Now since the directors job, or one of them, is to get the most out of the actors I presume that this may have something to do with Yates. Make of that what you will.

Avatar Image says:

Can’t understand the negativity to WB, hahaha, come on! I am a huge HP fan and don’t make alot of money, they are getting me to buy two tickets to see the one book, dont get me wrong I am excited to see the two films, but they are doing it to make MORE money then they already have!!!

Avatar Image says:

I also really dont think it matters whether WB make a load of money out of the extra film or not. What amtters is whether the films are good and I think they will be great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

That strange word is suposed to be ‘matters’! lol

Avatar Image says:

I agree with tintanktonk, well said!!! Well lads, its been fun, here in Ireland it is home time!!!! Amy :)

Avatar Image says:

I dissagree Sqibby, Alfonso managed to get the best out of everyone else in POA except Dan so i don’t know why are blaming him. That more Dan’s fault if he wasn’t co-operating with his director. Dan has admited several times that back then he didn’t take the job seriously and that he was just enjoy being a kid of a film set. I feel sorry for Alfonso because of that. Also, i thought Dan was pretty good in POA except for that one scene. As I said before, all the other characters rocked and were completely accurate compared to OOTP. Why not give Alfonso some credit for that? Neville sucked in OOTP, Hermione sucked in OOTP, Ron was ok but not half as good as POA. Lupin sucked, Trelawney sucked, Sirius was totally differnt to POA. Luna and Umbridge were great but thats about it in my opinion.

Avatar Image says:

Amy your from ireland, me too! omg thats so cool. Where u from? i’m from Dublin

Avatar Image says:

Hahaha, I was in Dublin, now I am in Ennis!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I see your point Kerrie. I do remember reading something about Dan not taking it seriously. I liked all movies, GOF the least, but liked them. Books of course are better :) I so hope that we will get a great DH movie! I just hope it won’t be really slow, because they will still cut stuff and strech other things.

Avatar Image says:

Even if it takes a year to film, they should still be able to have part 1 come out in summer ‘10, part 2 in December - waiting 2 whole years is too long. That I bet comes down to $$-make their bottom line look better in two years instead of just one. Bah!

Avatar Image says:

How awesome! This is excellent news. Wherever the movie is split up, I hope that it is all done brilliantly well. To put everything about this series into the final two movies will do justice to the entire series -it will be a magnificent finale. Harry Potter will finish with a bang! Thank you WB!

Avatar Image says:

Okay kerrie in your opinion everything ‘sucked’ in OotP. Arent you just a little ray of sunshine?! lol

Avatar Image says:

sorry about the line-thru; don’t know why that happened.

Avatar Image says:

This is sooooo cool 3 more years of harry Potter craziness to look forward to! YAY!!

Avatar Image says:

this throws all the previous movie/book translations out of balance. they could have made it just one movie so easily start either with taking harry straight to the burrow (mad-eye dying), or just start at the wedding (lupin/tonks because people who havent read the books dont know about rons older brother fleur, if film started here madeye could die in battle as harry, ron hermione leave), cut out most of the dumbledore history, just have him explain to harry after harry’s “death”. then cut out the ministry of magic scene, just have kreacher still have the locket because we don’t know mundungus and it won’t make sense for umbridge to get it from anyone else in the order of the phoenix. cut dumbledore’s will, cut ron leaving (just a rehash of subplot in gof), cut out potterwatch, cut out bill and fleur’s house, get elder wand info from luna’s father rather than ollivander, cut griphook, go straight from malfoy manor to diagon alley (overheard about cup being in bellatrix’s vault) it would be a fast-paced, exciting 3 to 3.5 hour movie, that would be a satisfying ending to the film series. If the filmmakers make the film exactly like the book, everyone will be mad they didn’t do the same for books 1-6. maybe a miniseries would have been a better choice initially, one hour episode per chapter or two.

Avatar Image says:

When I read this I made the strangest sound and my sister asked me-whats going on??!!!!!!!!!!

YAY. finally official!!!! and good for Yates. I was always for Cuaron,but Yates realized his mistakes with OOTP. HBP is going to be awesome! and ofcourse DH 1 and 2 because it’s an enormous presure on that. I think they should take one of the biggest fans for director assistant. because only a true fan knows how the film should look.

and the 1st part should end with destruction of the first horcrux…Harry in the water,chokeing and then- MAGIC CONTINUES

and parts they can cut are:first and second chapter, some things about Dumbledore and others not so important things for the film.

Avatar Image says:

It seems likely to me that DH will keep Kreacher’s redemption intact and then have Kreacher come to the rescue at MM. He has been seen far more recently than Dobby (in the movies) and given Harry’s change of heart toward Kreacher (post-redemption), the movie could justify the death/burial scene with Kreacher instead of Dobby. Then, Dobby could lead the house-elves into the Hogwarts battle (instead of Kreacher).

Avatar Image says:

“Alfonso IS the one to be blamed for bad acting, because he is the director, “he was their friend” was really awfull,”

I completely agree with you tinkantonk. It’s Directors’ jobs to ‘direct’ the actors. The infamous rock scene was an invented scene, though, so I give Kloves some of the blame for coming up with it in the first place :D

Also, regarding POA, it wasn’t just Dan’s rock scene (personally I thought he was fine for the rest of the film), but also Rupert completely overplayed the comic/caricature side of Ron, even in scenes that were meant to be frightening.

That said, as a film I think POA is great.

But I think that Yates did a great job with the acting, my main reason for being happy with him continuing.

Avatar Image says:

So Nammer, what your saying is forget the book and make the movie in a way that would upset all the fans of the series? No offense, and I do mean that, but in all the cuts that you made from the book you would leave us with a hour and forty-five minutes of movie. What you and a lot of people don’t realize is that while yes the book is lengthy, a lot of it is her describing the surroundings or building suspense, something that in movies can be done in seconds. But you are right it would make it fast paced. I’m glad that they are making two movies, I’m sorry that they didn’t do that with more of the films but that’s the past and we can’t change it no matter how hard we try so we all just gotta suck it up. Me especially. And I’m glad that someone else thought about a miniseries.

Avatar Image says:

THIS IS A HORRIBLE IDEA!!!!!

where will they split it??? its gonna cost us more money!!!!

sure we have like 4 hour movie maybe even 5 but what will they call the first/second one they both cant be deathly hallows! and to add to the fact there will be 8 movies and 7 books! its not even!!!!!!

then again its also a good idea cuz they will leave suspense to the new viewers

and the plot lines wont be squished together!

so im 75-25 here i rather leave it the same… we need more info!

Avatar Image says:

FINALLY! I was really beginning to lose faith in the whole screen adaptation thing. I wasn’t even sure it would be worth it to go see Half-Blood Prince! But this is really good news! They should have thought of this ages ago! Well, at least now we have hope for a good conclusion. Good on WB for this one!

Avatar Image says:

Sorry; I’ve just reread DH and I still don’t see it. One 3 1/2 to 4-hr movie, yes. Two 2hr movies, no.

All I can think now is that it’s a double-dip for WB and their last sure shot with a guaranteed-profitable franchise. And more expense for me. In addition to buying two disks to get the whole story, I also have to buy a BluRay player too. So I reiterate my first response to this:

No, no, no, no, NO!

Avatar Image says:

After hearing this confirmed and when Sue reads the news on Pottercast, I hope Jon “All-Knowy” makes a guest spot to give his fans his reaction. This is great news that both David Yates will be coming back and that the last movie will be split so nothing from the book has to be cut. I wish that the writer from movie 5 would have came back for at least one of the Deathly Hallows movies. I hope they do this right.

Avatar Image says:

I am thrilled that they are going to show DH in 2 parts. If it means they can keep more of the story, I am all for it. As far as where they would end part 1, I think the perfect place would be the destruction of the locket. Plus the trio would be back together and ready to start the next part of the journey in the next movie.

They must include Dobby in DH. I know they haven’t shown him since COS, but they could include him in HBP. Since the final book came out before they started filming HBP, they have to know how important a part he plays in the story. I’m hoping they keep the part where Dobby and Kreacher fight and Harry has them follow Malfoy. I think this would be perfect as it would show how loyal Dobby is to Harry.

Avatar Image says:

I’m so tired of reading that Warner Brothers is only doing it for the money. Hello! It’s not a charitable orginization; it’s a studio! The point of a business is to make money… stop acting like they’re the devil for it… and nobody is forcing you to go see the films.

Anyways, it’ll be another 2 years for # 7 because they’ll film the 7’s back to back and that takes longer.

The trailer won’t be out for another couple of months.

Avatar Image says:

I hope this decision is because of all the soul-searching and realizations Harry goes through and not just a lot of wham bam fight scenes. It is such a deep book where a lot of the loose threads are tied together at the end. I’m thinking about the debt owed by Wormtail, Ron using the putter-outer to come back and also to illuminated the cellar at Malfoy mansion. And last but not least, The final understanding of Snape’s hatred for Harry because of his father, but his love for Lily making Harry’s eyes the last thing he wants to see before he dies. This last book also shows us why Snape changed sizes but the price he pays for playing a double agent role to perfection. How long have we all hated Snape only to find out that he probably had the most difficult role to play – never letting his guard down for a minute – except for in his memories, which he finally shares with Harry at the end. I hope this important issues are in the 2 last films! FiggyPudding for everyone!!

Avatar Image says:

“I completely agree with you tinkantonk” Posted by anne Well, it was my post that you’re quoting, Anne, but that’s ok, ‘cause tinkatonk and I have simillar opinion :)

Avatar Image says:

oh my god that’s brilliant! i was so worried about it because there’s so much information and detail in the book so i thought that inevitably the film would be a let down. MY HOPE IS RESTORED!!

Avatar Image says:

wow i can wit to see both movies but i think the best part of both of them will be the ron and hermione kiss scene <3

Avatar Image says:

I don’t feel like scanning 8 pages of comments, so please forgive if this has been asked – do they know what they’re going to do as far as titles?

Will they do a generic ‘Part One & Two’ or will they do a cool subtitle for the second one, y’know like ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2: Blah Blah Blah’

Might be kinda cool if they pick out a chapter name like, ‘Harry Potter and the Battle for Hogwarts’.

I’m kind of mad, though, because if they’re going to split this one – then they should’ve been splitting them since GoF!

Avatar Image says:

The only logical place to split it is after Ron returns and destroys the first Horcrux… the whole first part of the book is searching for it and the rio suffering the effects of it and finally destroying it… in a very emotional confrontation between Ron, Harry and the bit of Ol Voldy in the locket.

None of the other horcrux destructions are given that much time in the book ( I always felt it odd that the other Horcruxes didn’t ‘put up a fight’ like the locket… well, except for Nagini.

I too hope they do the Battle of Hogwarts right! I am thinking it has to be like the final battle in the Lord of the Rings… BIG!!! EPIC!!!

I am really excited by this news… the only drawback is that we have to wait seven months between parts one and two. Here’s hoping when part two is released that the theaters screen both back to back!!!

Avatar Image says:

I think part one and two is fine. It’s the story of Deathly Hallows plain and simple, there’s need for more titles than that.

And btw, laughing Man, that’s what their going with so your suggestions are moot.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, this is going back to page 3 or4, and is directed toward’s Amy if she is out there.

I’m not sure if you misread my post, or what, but I’m a little confused as top why you assumed I wasn’t a true fan? To me, making the last book two films will create a better product for the fans. The profit WB will generate from both releases will allow WB to really make the film special. I know there have been plenty of problems with the previous films despite the fact that WB made millions on those films, and I’m sure Deathly Hallows will have problems too, but at least they are willing to try to make the final film worthy. This is a GOOD thing for the fans.

I personally do not care if WB is out to make a profit. It is their right. They are a major company, and their job is to make money. Period. It doesn’t make them bad or evil, it just makes them capitalists. Capitalism is not a naughty word.

Avatar Image says:

Two films… Ok. David Yates…. HOORAY! Steve Kloves…?

Steve Kloves? ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

Great. So now we’ll have two poorly written films. GRAND. I only hope Yates can save our dear Ron and Hermione from the butchery.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I just think ‘Part 1 & 2’ is kinda lame. I mean, the movies haven’t necessary followed the books so why not have the studios accept that and spice up the names a bit. I mean, PoA was virtually unrecognizable as the book.

Just because it’s all one book doesn’t mean they can’t title the 2 parts something different. Even JKR acknowledges that the movies are the movies and the books are the books and she doesn’t stress over how close they match. She understands there’s going to be some differences.

When Tokien split up his books into 3 parts he gave each titles rather than calling them ‘The Lord of the Ring, parts 1, 2, & 3’

Avatar Image says:

I am so excited about this being split into two movies!!! It’ll be great to see the whole book on screen (well, you know what I mean). However, I am a little concerned and less excited about Yates returning as the director. I thought Order of the Phoenix was the worst movie yet. I felt that he missed the whole tone of the book. Also, he (and others) are billing Half-Blood Prince as the funniest movie yet. Um, there was nothing funny about Half-Blood Prince unless you’re focusing the entire movie on Ron’s lack of relationship skills. If that’s the focus of the movie then Yates missed the whole point of the book again! There has been no mention of casting for Merope, Marvolo or any of the characters from Riddle’s past. Does that mean they won’t be included in the movie? Those are essential scenes in HBP. I’m really worried as to what tone Yates will create for DH. I’m worried he’s going to miss the whole point again and we’re going to get a movie about Harry pining away for Ginny the whole time. I really hope that Kloves helps put everything back on track and Yates follows suit.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, but that’s TOLKEN who gave his own work different titles. JKR’s titles are what should be the main title. I wouldnt object to something like: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: The Silver Locket (end after it’s destroyed) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: The Battle For Hogwarts

Those might be kinda long tho. Part 1 and 2 are fine, that way you know there’s more coming.

Oh, and to Amy, Just because you’re ok with the studio making a profit has nothing to do with being a “true fan”. Actually, as a true fan you should damn well hope that WB makes a profit. No Profit : No Movie. They’re not in this for the fun of it.

Avatar Image says:

They better do the final battle correctly, especially now we have to wait 6 months inbetween the films – this is going to be so cool – YAY!

Avatar Image says:

With all my heart I believe this is a very bad move. First he fact that they have chosen to stay with Yates (who to my opinion ruined OOTP, and makes me very fearful about HBP and now DH. Second making the book into a two-part movie. I have from the started been one of those who apposed a two-part DH. it is an unnecessary step to take. A 3 hour-long movie would have done the book the justice it deserves (just not in Yates hands). I can’t think of any place in the book where they c can make a decent cut with out destroying the all movie.

As I see it making two movies and have them come out six months apart is WB way of cashing in from the fans one last time. I don’t know about you all but movie tickets in my country are pretty expensive. Two DH movies will cost a day and half worth of work. In total 200 shekels with popcorn and something to drink, that’s about 50$ (more or less). I will most likely end up ranting DH; it will cost me much less then seeing it in the cinema popcorn and all.

Avatar Image says:

This is amazing news! I ‘m really hoping that the director/Kloves at least do justice to the brilliant humour in the book, I know there’s not much of it in DH, but all the other movies lacked Jo’s humour and instead had their own lame versions. I hope they keep the scene with Harry and Hermione in Godric’s Hollow, it was such a poignant scene. Jo wrote the whole thing so beautifully. I just hope it doesn’t end with Hermione sobbing on Harry’s shoulder!

Mistake.

1) Instead of milking the fans, make a 3 hour long HP movie for once 2) Nothing against Yates, but I wish someone else would direct. 3) Exactly where do you cut the story ?

Avatar Image says:

It HAS to split at when the trio are caught by the snatchers

Avatar Image says:

What’s up with Holiday 2010? Is Holiday a season? :S I’m really happy about the split, as it means that they can include everything. It’s quite sad that in the previous movies they didn’t introduce Dobby again, as most casual moviegoers will not recognise him.

Avatar Image says:

thats great news!! I hope each film is long and interesting I think David Yates will find a good half point. (I hope its a good half point)

doing. this is cool…..

Avatar Image says:

I’m surprised the moviegoers, especially the book fans, hate Yates so much.

It seems the one complaint is “he took out too much” – well OOTP is the longest book. I liked him because unlike GoF it didn’t feel rushed, actors improved (try to compare with the overacted mess of GoF), and most importantly, the characters acted like the books (that is, no chickenRon and superHermione, thanks a lot mr Kloves) also he didn’t leave out anything major, even if it just appeared briefly (I’m looking at you, Cuaron+Marauders and Newell+SPEW/messy Crouch story) – clearly the locket and Snape’s memory will yet be used in the movies (keep in mind they didn’t know that they will play a part in book 7 at the time of movie 5). The only thing I missed was the sappy trio ending instead of Dumbledor/Harry scene.

Avatar Image says:

Not cool at all. The whole magic of DH and all the books previously was the building excitement and sense that something was going to happen that comes through the course of each story. Jo already has the natural books breaks…a school year in the life of Harry. Cutting the movie, is like stopping in the middle of the act akaed “sailing”. You are going lose that sense of building action step and step, and then the amazing crescendo at the battle for hogwarts. Who cares about the money or the tickets…what about seating the edge of your seat for the story to enfold???

Avatar Image says:

So why not Yates you ask ? Well the movies were being kept fresh by switching the directors, so I feel DH should go to someone new and not someone who already directed HP (even if the movies will probably have a similar look and feel with the same director).

Avatar Image says:

Linds – Really enjoyed your comment on page two of these postings (re: unexpected 8 books instead of 7 just like there were an unexpected 8 pieces of Voldemort’s soul instead of the expected 7). Kinda freaky!

Avatar Image says:

Sorry I meant movies, not books!

Avatar Image says:

Check this out! It’s official! The release dates are at the bottom . . .

Avatar Image says:

yah Linds that was very keen and interesting- now if all the post could be like that instead of mumbled trash, and bickering back and forth about the same old dumb stuff, then things would be alot nicer. But as I said the other day internet posters are really people bashers and thanks to you guys I have to be in this particular post. but lets face it you dererve it after all the people you guys complain about and whine about- good lord who is on here 5 year olds. Get over yourselves- and get a life. If you are really Harry Potter fans then you will like everything and anything that has to do with it. And I also said this people who expect to get EVEYTHING they want in life will have way more problems and issues in life and wont go very far.

Avatar Image says:

Another thing about GoF: where was Sirius ? Cut down to one scene.

Avatar Image says:

So WB decides to really capitalize on the books, let’s make two movies and make twice the money. I bet even with two movies they wont try to fit everything from the book in. Really bad idea…

Avatar Image says:

My thoughts on the conclusion should be Shell Cottage, after Dobby death. Harry grows up at tha t moment and decides to go after the Horcruxes instead of the Hallows, and he finally controls his mind over Voldemort. It’s a great moment .

Avatar Image says:

It has to be Dobby. Because he loved Harry and what he did he did of his free will and how can you leave out. Here lies a free elf.

Avatar Image says:

Carlye, I agree that the Shell Cottage scene is one of the best moments of the book, but as I’ve had this discussion with another, it doesn’t leave enough story to tell for the second movie. It would be very action packed, but lacking a little in story. I think that, as stated before from the boards, that the locket Horcrux being destroyed would be better suited for the ending of the first part. And leaving enough story behind to warrant a second part.

Avatar Image says:

I’m thrilled about everything. I just don’t want to wait for the second part. Lol. =) I’m too impatient. XD

Avatar Image says:

I hate it when my comments are cut in half. Previously on my Comments “I think that, as stated before from the boards, that the locket Horcrux being destroyed would be better suited for the ending of the first part. And leaving enough story behind to warrant a second part.” But I do think that the Shell Cottage scene would be a wonderful part to go to intermission, where we would come back from the break very hungry for more.

Avatar Image says:

Ya know what’d be really sweet? On the DH DVD release I hope they have special features that include like the final day of shooting or something. That’d probably make even me cry, and I’d love to see something like that on there. Hint for the far future, WB!

Wow, I’m excited now. They might actually do the book justice.

Avatar Image says:

i want ALFONSO to direct the 7th!

Avatar Image says:

I think a split after the destruction of the locket is most likely. That way we get a classic build up, climax and resolutiuon in both parts of the movie.

Now, have the actors signed on for this second part? Or did WB already know about this when they were signed and have worded the contracts so they have to stay for a third?

I would imagine they had to take the three mains back into negotiations before this was all announced. Because you know if one of them said, nah I’m not doing Part Two, they would change it back to one movie. They would have had to at least been paid more.

Avatar Image says:

There’s hardly that much camping. Everyone btches about all the camping. The book was what, 37 chapters long? 2.5 involved camping. Um… get over it!

There is a HUGE amount of info to get out of this movie. There’s NO way it would fit in one 3 hour film (without everyone btching about that), and there is NO way they would make it any longer. This is a good thing, people! You wanted more stuff told from the books. You wanted LESS left out! This is how it’s going to happen. With two movies, released 6 months apart. That’s just enough time to be able to enjoy hupla twice! Besides, think of the theaters that will feature a special showing of the first part so that it ends at midnight, and then show the 2nd part. It’ll be an event!

besides…. if WB was really only interested in the “cash cow” that the series is, they WOULD have made movies 4 and 5 into multiple movies. And bored us silly with long movies about Spew and Hagrids trip to visit the giants.

Avatar Image says:

It would deff. be somewhere between Ron leaving and the first Horcrux (in THIS book) to be destroyed. I havent read the book in about 4 or so months so the timeline is a bit fuzzy in my head, but all in all, this is a good thing. A better thing would be to have BOTH come out at the same time, that way we arnt left on so much of a cliff, like the Pirates movies.

I’m so excited!

Avatar Image says:

To all those who thought some of the other books could have been split: how? GoF is a tournament and so it would be madness to have split it. There is no actual break. And OotP the book while being the longest does have lots of extraneous information. I can’t see how you could split it at all to make it 2 actual movies; again there is no climactic scene in the middle where you could have stopped. Whereas with DH I can see many many places where it could be a believeable cut to finish off one movie and set up for another (When Ron returns and destroys the locket, As they decide to go after horcruxes rather than Hallows, After the Gringotts breakout just to name a few)

Avatar Image says:

Thank god I can keep my fan obsession going even longer!!!!

Avatar Image says:

DH in 2 movies is really perfect…like everyone has said, the only truly logical place to split is really after Ron comes back and destroys the locket. Yet, if that is true, it will mean that, in my opinion, Part 2 will be 200x better than Part 1 because i feel like the book is really powerful only after that scene-before Ron comes back there are no true climaxes-that might be one possible creative problem with splitting the book there.

And LunaMum- so true, so true.

Avatar Image says:

i agree with Beth and Nurlomum.

Avatar Image says:

WOOT WOOT!!!! i really like David Yates!!

Well put Mollywobble!

Avatar Image says:

(This post and the one above are in reference to comments on Pg 4)

... and Amy, if WB doesn’t make money with these, they won’t make them. Period. So yeah, we want the films to do well….. and, um, as fans, we want more films!

Avatar Image says:

I wish I could understand why people are so upset about this. It’s okay if you don’t like David Yates, but I hope people will give him the benefit of a doubt with a longer film. If it’s about money, I can respect that. It is expensive, especially if you have a family, to go to the movies these days. WIth gas prices going up every day, it makes it even worse. But other than that, why are people so angry? Isn’t this a good thing for the fandom? They’re making a 4 to 5 hour film! Isn’t this what people have been dreaming about for years? Don’t we beg for the extended editions to be released on DVD?

I think it’s hilarious that people say all that is in this book is camping. Really? Sometimes I wonder if people read the same story as me. The plot of this book is 3 times denser than any of the other books. Look at HBP for example: Nothing happens for half the book! Most of it is Harry’s crush on Ginny, his fixation with Malfoy, and his potions book. Thank goodness they’re not trying to turn THAT book into two films.

I think people should stop focusing on the negative and start thinking about how much fun this could be, and how great it would be for the fandom.

Avatar Image says:

...If it’s about money, I can respect that. It is expensive, especially if you have a family, to go to the movies these days. WIth gas prices going up every day, it makes it even worse…. Posted by mollywobble on March 13, 2008 @ 08:20 PM

I think that may be a reasonable explanation why some people are pissed. You take a couple of kids to the cinema for both, then you need two DVDs because you can’t get just the one. It’s about the money.

Avatar Image says:

Wow. that’s all i have to say….

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Avatar Image says:

Jackie, I can definitely understand that. However, I think that both parts will be on one DVD. This is one film but released in two parts. They’ll probably be more expensive, but I don’t think they would force people to buy two DVDs. Of course I could be wrong. If they do decide to do that, I think people would have a genuine argument that WB is ripping them off.

Avatar Image says:

I am soooooooooo glad that they decided to do this. It is really amazing that a huge studio is really thinking this one through and keeping the fans in mind instead of their wallets!

DONT LEAVE ANYTHING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I’m willing to bet that the DVD will be sold as two seperate movies, and why not? it will technically be two different movies, and all the work and time and money involved in making two, and putting two to dvd, will still be required. Why would you think they’d give that away for free? Besides, they will most likely release DVD Part 1 just prior to Part 2’s theatrical release. It makes sense. Of course, they may also offer it in a set (7.1 and 7.2) for like $25 or $30 bucks after the fact (which would be cheaper then buying them seperately, but more then a single dvd).

How did they handle Kill Bill, Volume 1 and 2? That was technically one movie that was deemed too long (I think) so a spot was picked, and it was cut in two (at least that’s what I heard). How did they handle that DVD? I’m pretty sure it was sold as two seperate movies.

Avatar Image says:

I’m more of a movie fan than a book fan so Bring It ON! Two movies mean more cinematic treats aside from of course having : more premieres, more print and TV promotions, more pics and interviews of the trio. I love the idea of it…

Avatar Image says:

Beth is right, Kill Bill part 1 and part 2 were regarded as separate DVD’s – which means $60 for the DH film on DVD instead of $30. That sucks.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sooo excited. I really think that the split should be after Harry buries Dobby and he is ABOUT to talk to Griphook and Olivander at Shell Cottage.

Avatar Image says:

Meh, I’m cool with it. Loving the two-part-ness. Iffy on Yates, but.

Avatar Image says:

Someone said on page 9 why they didn’t do GoF and OOTP as split movies. Read the Kloves message: they did consider splitting GoF. I don’t think we need 2 long movies, just make it a 3 hour movie; that way you can satisfy the book fans (by getting more book stuff in) as well as the moviegoers, especially post POA. The movie deserve to be more epic, and a better script …

Avatar Image says:

Yes!! It’s finlly official!! But I think they’ll have both movies on one DVD, no stress on that.

Avatar Image says:

Hahaha, first of all to mollywobble, capitalism is a naughty word. And to BellaSnape, telling us we are winning, hahaha funny…you are winning yourself about us and no life….then why are you on here writing comments??? I agree with laughingman, Mafalda and Tim N.! Prolonging the Harry Potter experience is great, but don’t think for a minuet that WB is doing it to keep the integrity of the book!

Avatar Image says:

No Amy, Capitalism is not a bad word. Just like Liberalism, conservatism and communism are not bad words.

Now, Beth, I don’t think one can compare Kill Bill with Harry Potter. One was an original story that no one had ever heard of before it was released. With Deathly Hallows, you’re splitting a book in half. Like I said, I would hope they would put both parts on one DVD (which the can on blu-ray). However, if they don’t, people could have a genuine reason to feel like they have been taken advantage of.

Avatar Image says:

I agree, capitalism isn’t a bad word. Though just like the other things mollywobble mentioned, they happen to have some bad eggs, that helps creates the stereotype of greed.

I think they will release both films on seperate dvds, to start of with. After all the first part will have been out for 6 months (which is roughly the length of time studios wait to bring out a film on dvd) by the time the second part comes out at the cinema. However, they prob will release it into one version, once part two comes out on dvd. I think I prob wait till both have been released, before I buy it.

Avatar Image says:

This is truly fantastic news!!

I think that big thanks should go to David Heyman and David Barron.  Not only have they made a great decission to split the story so that every important detail will be retained, but it's clear that they have always made a a great effort to be true to the books that we love so much.  Yes, there are certain things that we are all unhappy about in the previous films, but at no point has Harry potter gone all "Hollywood" on us.  Also, it was a very brave decision on their part to appoint a virtual unknown to direct no. 5, but look how well that's paid off.  Mr Yates has earned so much respect from the fans, the critics, WB and the cast.

Good luck to you all- I can’t wait!!

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!! It looks like my last post broke your site!! Sorry guy, I’ve got no idea how that happened!!

Avatar Image says:

That’s so great!!!Thank you,WB!! This has I hoped for many years now. :-) I have hoped this woud be done all ready at Harry Potter and the prisoner form azkaban!

Avatar Image says:

I am very happy that this will be split into 2 movies, but am very unhappy that David Yates is directing because he did a terrible job with OotP. How can broomwitch say that GOF was rushed but OotP wasn’t?? There was a lot left out of GOF but it covered all the major points and did it very well. My only issue with GOF was that the ending felt too happy instead of impending doom Jo left us with in the book (and that Dobby wasn’t in it all). But I was so upset with OotP that I have only seen the movie once. Like mollywobble (I believe it was) it would take too much time to list all the things I dislike about it.

Ginger-newt, I totally agree with you -the movies completely lack Jo’s humor, which is what I love so much about the books. There are so many lines in the books that I love, and I get so excited to see that particular scene acted out, but are nowhere to be found on screen. :_(

One last point, Chris Columbus said it was stressful to do two HP movies back to back and he wouldn’t do it again -yet Yates is taking on the last 4 movies?? I hope he doesn’t get burned out and lower his standards (although after OotP that wouldn’t be much lower). That’s another pro for changing directors, it does keep it fresh… (And WHAT is with HBP being the “funniest movie yet”??)

Avatar Image says:

i just wish they bring back John Williams for composing the, original creater of the Harry potter themes. he really makes it sound epic and his composing really get peoples hair sparked up.

BRING HIM BACK DAVID HEYMAN !!!

WE ALL LOVE YOU!!!

Avatar Image says:

I feel like I am late in making a comment, but I want to “WHOOOOP WHOOOOP WHOOOOP” to the world and let everyone know, share in the joy…..OMG!!!! I love it!!! THANKYOU , THANKYOU, THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Remeber how we said there’s no way they could do it in one movie??!

Avatar Image says:

I heard the buzz about this months ago. After reading Deathly Hallows and how the movie OoTP was so chopped up, I emailed Warner Brothers and asked if it would be possible for DH to be made into two movies, referring to other books that were divided into more than one movie, such as Walking Tall, etc.

I’m sure they got loads of requests from other fans, as well. Good on you WB! There’s just no way the creativity of DH could have been done justice with just one movie.

Avatar Image says:

I’d suggest trying to break it up when Harry says Voldemort and the Deatheaters cath them. And he was okay for OOTP, but I wish Yates wasn’t doing it, for the swake of keeping it fresh…

Avatar Image says:

I’d suggest trying to break it up when Harry says Voldemort and the Deatheaters cath them. And he was okay for OOTP, but I wish Yates wasn’t doing it, for the sake of keeping it fresh…

Avatar Image says:

Hasn’t anyone else noticed that they are going to release the two halves SEVEN months apart We have to wait that long?? I thought they would release them a week or two apart if they decided to split it !!! = [

Write a Reply or Comment