Steve Kloves: Says They Almost Split “Goblet of Fire,” Began Thinking of Two “Deathly Hallows” Films Late Summer 07
Mar 13, 2008
There is more news today on the decision to make two movies out of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Screenwriter Steve Kloves has given a new interview to the Baltimore Sun, where he discusses the decision to split the book into two films, and says they had been considering to do this originally for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire . In an email to the paper Steve Kloves says “Years ago,” he writes, “we briefly ” and seriously ” considered doing Goblet of Fire as two films. So this concept is not altogether new.”
Steve Kloves, who is the screenwriter for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and will pen the scripts for both of the “Deathly Hallows” movies, continued on to explain that early after the release of book seven they started thinking of splitting the seventh Harry Potter book for two films. Quotage is as follows: “As for Deathly Hallows, I intuited ” almost from the first moments I began reading it and certainly once I’d finished ” that to realize the story in a single film was going to be a tall order. Others in ‘the group’ felt similarly. So the idea of two films began to get kicked around as early as late summer of 2007. We didn’t take it lightly. But ultimately everyone felt that despite the challenges it would present, it was the most sound creative decision. I’m sure some will think we’re crazy. My wife looked at me cross-eyed when I first mentioned it. But I’m really excited about it because it should allow us to stretch a bit with the characters and give them the proper send-off. The story is highly emotional and those moments deserve time to breathe. And, personally, I feel we owe it to Jo ” in order to preserve the integrity of the work ” and the fans ” for their loyalty all these years ” to give them the best and most complete experience possible. I’d love to do it in three parts!” And for good measure, Kloves adds that working with Order of the Phoenix director David Yates on the currently filming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince “was a brilliant experience, so this should be a treat!”
As we’ve reported here and here, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” will be made as two films. Starring Dan Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson and under the direction of David Yates, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One will be released in theaters “holiday” 2010, with Part Two due May or Summer of 2011. The sixth film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, is currently in production in England, with a release date set for November 21, 2008.