122

Mar 13, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

There is more news today on the decision to make two movies out of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Screenwriter Steve Kloves has given a new interview to the Baltimore Sun, where he discusses the decision to split the book into two films, and says they had been considering to do this originally for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire . In an email to the paper Steve Kloves says “Years ago,” he writes, “we briefly ” and seriously ” considered doing Goblet of Fire as two films. So this concept is not altogether new.”

Steve Kloves, who is the screenwriter for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and will pen the scripts for both of the “Deathly Hallows” movies, continued on to explain that early after the release of book seven they started thinking of splitting the seventh Harry Potter book for two films. Quotage is as follows: “As for Deathly Hallows, I intuited ” almost from the first moments I began reading it and certainly once I’d finished ” that to realize the story in a single film was going to be a tall order. Others in ‘the group’ felt similarly. So the idea of two films began to get kicked around as early as late summer of 2007. We didn’t take it lightly. But ultimately everyone felt that despite the challenges it would present, it was the most sound creative decision. I’m sure some will think we’re crazy. My wife looked at me cross-eyed when I first mentioned it. But I’m really excited about it because it should allow us to stretch a bit with the characters and give them the proper send-off. The story is highly emotional and those moments deserve time to breathe. And, personally, I feel we owe it to Jo ” in order to preserve the integrity of the work ” and the fans ” for their loyalty all these years ” to give them the best and most complete experience possible. I’d love to do it in three parts!” And for good measure, Kloves adds that working with Order of the Phoenix director David Yates on the currently filming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince “was a brilliant experience, so this should be a treat!”

As we’ve reported here and here, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” will be made as two films. Starring Dan Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson and under the direction of David Yates, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One will be released in theaters “holiday” 2010, with Part Two due May or Summer of 2011. The sixth film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, is currently in production in England, with a release date set for November 21, 2008.

124 Responses to Steve Kloves: Says They Almost Split “Goblet of Fire,” Began Thinking of Two “Deathly Hallows” Films Late Summer 07

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Steve, I feel like chewing some Double-Mint gum!

Avatar Image says:

I think it is a great decision. I’m glad they decided to do this. I don’t think I would have liked GOF as two movies though.

umm .. three parts????

cool.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. I’m especially interested in Harry’s “death” scene and some of the stuff with Snape and the Locket.

But the cynic in me must ask: does “preserve the integrity” actually mean we get bookRon and bookHermione, or PINKPOWERRANGERHermione….

:D

Avatar Image says:

And whats up with having to wait two years and a half to see it. I mean, it’s three years from now!

Avatar Image says:

Cool. I’m glad they didn’t split GOF because there’s not much that was left out so there wouldn’t have been a reason to split it. But I’m so excited that they’re spliting DH!!!! I wonder if they ever considered doing OOTP as two films.

Avatar Image says:

may be it would’ve been a better movie, or at least they could’ve cut the episode with that bloody dragon in a half, it was NOT supposed to be flying!

Avatar Image says:

Ah Steve you wonderful man! I’m so happy that he’s doing the 3 last films. He’s brilliant!

thegriffpuff,

well, its really about production.

They won’t start work on it until next year, 2009. Plus each of these movies has taken a very long time to shoot (9 or more months each). So now muliply that by 2 films, plus all the post production time for special effects, marketing etc.

@thegriffpuff

Well obviously they have to finish HBP first and do all the promotion for that and then Dan has to do Equus on Broadway. And then they have to do all the pre-production stuff for DH and scout locations to film. Because there is going to be a whole lot of on-location filming for DH because the trio travel so much. And then they have to actually film the movie which is going to be like 6 hours long so that’s going to be like almost 2 years of filming and then they have to do all the post-production stuff like editing and touch ups. So yeah 3 years sounds about right.

Avatar Image says:

Guess so… but I just see so bad! lol

Avatar Image says:

Finally- the source material and the HP fandom are being treated with the respect that The Lord Of the Rings received from New Line and PJ.

This should be great -and -for what its worth, I agree with those people who feel the obvious break time is the burial of Dobby -with Harry expressing the resolution to complete the task ! (ie -similarly to Sam’s speech at the end of The Two Towers. film)

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad they did not split Goblet in 2, the weakest book of them all. I actually felt the same after reading Hallows, there is no way you can put all of that in 2.5 hours. Now they have between 4.5 and 5 hours to play with. I just hope they don’t recast the parts for those last five minutes of the film.

Avatar Image says:

Well put Mr. Kloves. I hadn’t even thought about them trying to give the trio the proper send off. That will make the entire experience that much more enjoyable.

Avatar Image says:

wow!! big news!! I dont know how i feel about it. But at least they wont leave a lot of details out!!

Avatar Image says:

Kloves is right, they do owe it to Jo to split Deathly Hallows up into 2 movies and do the author and the story justice, not to mention give us fans a treat. This is capital news. Well done!

Avatar Image says:

Even though comments have been posted through out the day about how thrilled everyone is that Warner Bros. has decided to do Deathly Hallows in two parts, I am even happier to hear this news from the mouth of the screenwriter. :) The statement, “I’d love to do it in three parts!” is also reassuring because I think he will truly fight to keep nearly everything from the book . . . and I’m not as worried now about there just being 2 shorter films rather than 2 full-length (min. 2 hour) movies that will contain the emotional and physical elements which are so important to the final book.

Overall, I’d say it’s a good day to be a Harry Potter fan . . .

Avatar Image says:

I would really love it if they do two titles, instead of deathly hallows part 1 and 2.

if they split the movie up at say the lovegood’s house, call the first part the deathly hallows, and the second part after one of the two other titles jk rowling considered, Harry Potter and the Elder Wand.

Cool!! I can’t wait!!

Avatar Image says:

Yay! I said it yesterday and ill say it again!

My heart is singing!!!

M Jones:

I think they have treated all the films with respect and they have put their hearts into each one. It just so happens DH isn’t a book that can fit into one 3 hour film like the others could. DH has to be longer than that because they cant cut anything out. everything is important to the overall story. So that’s why they’re doing two-parts with DH and not with the 6 previous books. I think they have done an awesome job with the films so far and I’m 110% sure HBP is going to just as good as the others were too.

I never read the LOTR books and I don’t plan on it, but I’m sure that every little detail from the books wasn’t in the movies. But anyways, someone suggested that part one of DH should end when Voldemort gets the Elder Wand out Dumbledore’s tomb and I thought that was a good idea. It’s a really suspenseful moment because at that point in the story the audience and harry think Harry has basically no chance of beating Voldemort now.

Avatar Image says:

cool, my 1st ever comment on anything!

tbh, i hoped that GOF was split in two cos GOF lacked the character development for me and it seemed far too rushed…plus no SPEW!

Avatar Image says:

When I read Deathly Hallows I thought it would be extremely difficult to make the movie version. The intense action sequences, the heart-wrenching death scenes, the quiet moments of reflection, etc. are numerous and essential. If they cut these scenes it would diminish the film. I am so happy they are making two movies. They will have time to create a spectacular finish to our beloved Potter world.

Avatar Image says:

I think it’s a good idea to make book 7 into two movies so you get more of the book instead of skipping over so much but if they don’t hurry up the main stars are going to be using canes and walkers to get around. It’s taking much too long to get movie 6 out, it should have been done last year.

Avatar Image says:

the movie wouldnt work if the split was at voldemort getting the elder wand.

guys, you need notice that the elder wand being taken from dumbledore’s crypt happens practically right at the end of the book a chapter or so before the battle for hogwarts. it would literally mean the battle for hotwarts would have to be 2 and a half hours long. guys, not going to happen. you can not do all the vitally important things up to that point when voldemort gets the elder wand in 2 and a half hours. no, thats a horrible place to cut it offf. that would be like cutting the 1st half at the moment voldemort dies, then havivng the second part be the epilogue only.

Avatar Image says:

Dang, I wish they split 4. That would’ve been better, I think. OH well, at least one of the films would be split. Although, I’d rather have an intermisson than separate films.

Avatar Image says:

It is a sound idea to split DH, but I think GOF was fine as a single film… although 5 minutes of “S.P.E.W” thrown in wouldn’t have hurt, really.

Avatar Image says:

I love Steve Kloves. I’m sorry but he has proven himself totally capable of handling the HP series (given the massive restrictions placed on the films by the money hungry idiots at WB). I’m so glad he’s going to be finishing off the series.

Avatar Image says:

First! I am thrilled that the movie will be extended to two parts. It shows that they are finally listening to fans and can not possibly let the plot of Deathly Hallows become skewed or chopped up. It’s an insult to do so to Jo’s brilliant book….and frankly our patience and loyalty over the years as fans.

Theres no such thing as too much Potter!

Avatar Image says:

Absolutely Brilliant News. But what a completely wasted opportunity not to have made the last 2 films double length, too.

Avatar Image says:

that’s great, I’d watch 10 HP movies :P I can’t wait!

neato wan!!!

Avatar Image says:

Hurray! At last, there will be enough screen time for Maggie Smith to avenge Professor Quirrell’s murder.

Avatar Image says:

The GOF Would have been great as a 2 part but thats in the past …Atleast were getting a 2 part deathly hallows which is a great goodbye to the flims.

Avatar Image says:

I meant, “Absolutely Brilliant News. But what a completely wasted opportunity not to have made the last 2 books double length, too.” I’m so exited!!!

Avatar Image says:

The motivations of Kloves are really good. Let’s hope he’ll make a wonderful job !!!

Avatar Image says:

All I can say is that for GOF they should have split it. By not being able to include more of the back story some of the important story lines for DH have been lost.

However, They certainly could have spent a lot more time in GOF exploring some of those stories and a lot less on the dragon sequence.

It was cool,but took up too much precious time that could have been spent consoling Harry.

Avatar Image says:

If they get it right, two films will be ok. OOTP was so choppy that no matter how many times I’ve watched it trying to like it. I don’t.

Avatar Image says:

I’ll just keep saying what I said when I first read about this yesterday.

AWESOME!!! =D=D=D

that’s awesome =)

YAY! First comment! First time ever :P

I think it would have been a good idea to split Goblet of Fire, because there’s soo much missing from it… Squeeeeeeeeeeee! I’m so excited for DH! Two parts! It’s going to be amazing. and Mr. Kloves it totally right, as soon as you read DH you know that there’s no way they’d fit everything in and there’s nothing they could cut..

Avatar Image says:

Yaaaaay!!!! I’m sooooo excited!!!

Avatar Image says:

WOw so cool, but where would the cut have been in GOF. Wonders

He makes me happy

Avatar Image says:

I wish they had done Goblet as two films, act ually. Then they could have done the whole SPEW thing and given a little relief form the endless action sequences of the challenges.

Avatar Image says:

THANK GOD!!!! though its dissapointing to have to wait for the second part, thank good one film will get enough screen time. YAAAAAAY

Avatar Image says:

I wish they made GOF into two films, they left out some stuff. But DH as two films should be great. More accurate to the book.

Avatar Image says:

I was pretty content with GOF. I’m still so excited about DH.

Avatar Image says:

Cool. Maybe OotP could have also been in two parts.

Avatar Image says:

Wow! That’s SO COOL but I don’t want to wait a year to see the second part of the same story.

Avatar Image says:

Meh, if there is one thing I’m sure about this whole mess, it’s that the lines are gonna suck great deal. So sad that we’re gonna have to live with the nightmare that’s called Kloves till the very end!

((sigh))

Avatar Image says:

I love the idea of the two part film, but I would like a different director, I liked GoF but honestlky it wasn’t my favorite, well, no one asked me right? ;)

Avatar Image says:

Oh! Steve ! i like the idea of two[!] but three would be stretching the films out too far. they would be too thin so i’m glad two was desided Yeah!!!!!!

So glad he enjoys working with David Yates, hope David got some great work from him i think everyone who works with Yates loves doing so

Avatar Image says:

Cool. Too bad it they will be so far apart… :/

Avatar Image says:

i was not crazy about how GF turned out…too much book put into too short a film…....GOF is my least fave HP film

Avatar Image says:

I’m surprised they considered Gof for two films and not OotP.

i am excited for it!

Avatar Image says:

I’m surprised they considered Gof for two films and not OotP.

Avatar Image says:

I love all that I’ve read so far. It’s somewhat sad to think about that it’s ending within a few years, yet I can’t wait for another extraordinary expirance. I didn’t get to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last year in a theatre. The last time was in 2005 for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. It’s sort of hard to remember how I felt watching it, so I hope to get to see these last three films in theatres. But I have to remember that I haven’t even seen Half-Blood Prince, which sound great so far.

The only things I now want to know about Deathly Hallows are this:

1. Is everybody coming back, which I’m sure they will be. 2. Will John Williams score Deathly Hollows? Both part I & II. I don’t know if Nick Hooper will be composing the music for HBP, but I do hope John gets the chance to finish this magnificent series of films. I think Nick did a great job, but not as good as John could have done it, I suppose. We’ll just have to wait and see as we always do. :)

Avatar Image says:

At first I was against the idea of two films but the more and more I read about this decision… well, I am getting on board and am officially excited. Makes me wonder what the movies would have been like if they started splitting them at GOF. hmm…

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Leaky, for keeping us up to date with the latest news! You guys are the best site around!

Avatar Image says:

oh no what are they doing….tow moveis what a bummer…! now well see the first half and wait a million yrs for the rest :(

Melissa or Sue:

I was just on Youtube and stumbled across a DH trailer. It looked quite real, but there aren’t any real and official trailers out yet right?

If you can answer this post i would be very greatful! Thanx Lindsay

Avatar Image says:

I am thrilled beyond words. I agree it is a wonderful day to be a Harry Potter fan. But then again, what day isn’t?

Avatar Image says:

‘I’d love to do it in three parts!’ is just a joke, you guys. hahaha :-)

Avatar Image says:

@ Lindsay: How can there be a DH trailer when there isn’t even an HBP trailer yet? Plus, they don’t start filming DH until next year, in 2009.

Avatar Image says:

If you can answer this post i would be very greatful! Thanx Lindsay Posted by Lindsay on March 13, 2008 @ 07:18 PM

uhh…No. Alot of fans make HP trailers and post them on youtube and usually you could tell it’s definitely not the real thing. Deathly Hallows is going to start filming in Feb 2009, and they probably won’t have a trailer till 2010, so there’s NO WAY that video you saw is real.

Can most of you people post something relevant to the article rather than, “OOOH, I’M FIRST!!!!!111”? Seriously.

@ FullMoon:

O sorry im jumping the gun…. i ment HBPHOW STUPID OF ME! but there isnt a trailer right? i was just checking

Avatar Image says:

Since this means eight movies instead of seven, are they going to have to renegotiate contracts with the actors for the extra film?

Avatar Image says:

Heyy! Just want to say that I LOVE the idea of splitting the DH movie into two (and three?) parts! Let’s face it, there are no knew quote unqoute, “Harry Potter” books leftover, regardless of whether or not JKR does something about Lily Luna, Albus Severus, or anyone else for that matter. It’s just not the same. HP7 WAS the last “Harry Potter” series book and why not “preserve the magic” with another movie. stretch it out. make the HP phenomenon last a little while longer for those who are still growing up with it. ( :

Avatar Image says:

well, im actually quite excited to have the movie split into two parts. when i first opened up the article and read it i felt m heart skip a few beats. i wasnt really looking forward to having it split into two parts. but, when i got to the middle and read “end this with the proper send off” i felt the same way. and now, im on the boat for splitting it into two. as long as they dont cut anything out of the 7th movie, it most definetly will be worth waiting all this time for. =]

.victoria.

Avatar Image says:

Great News about DH being two movies! This is a great decision! And hopefully we will have as great an emotional roller-coaster ride as the book was.

I reserve my happiness on the fact the Mr Yates will be directing. I found OotP harder to follow – the flow – than the first 4 movies. I shall wait to see HBP before giving my blessing even if it will be late by then.

This is Wonderful!!!

Avatar Image says:

GoF was a fine movie the only bad parts left out were Dobby and the history of the Crouchs’. OotP was concidered to be split into 2 movies. The confussion is that since they want to get in almost all of the main parts how are they gonna have the wedding, dobby and his death? They never introduced Bill and there isn’t gonna be a Fleur in HBP. Dobby hasn’t been in a movie since CoS. So those parts they will probally have to introduce Bill and Charlie, re-introduce Dobby. I think it’s a smart idea to split the movies. To think about it we only have to wait a couple of months for the second movie because the release the first in November ‘10 and the second May/June ‘11. But that is just a plan now it’s not set in stone. I wonder what they are gonna be called “Deathly Hallows” and “The Elder Wand” The split should happen when Ron returns and destorys the locket and they are ready to continue on with their journey.

Avatar Image says:

I just hope when it comes out on DVD after Pt.II, there is a special DVD with both parts on it, aka one long ass movie. Also, hope pt.I comes on DVD before Pt.II hits theaters, so we can watch Pt.I right before going to see Pt.II.

Avatar Image says:

Well…..good. I’m glad they’re talking this way, about giving the characters a proper send-off :-( and letting the emotional elements “breathe”.

I do believe (non-cynic that I am, I guess) that they truly are interested in doing justice to the story, to Jo’s universe, and that this wasn’t solely a $$$ decision.

I just hope a two-part DH doesn’t make all the other movies feel slapdash and rushed!

Avatar Image says:

As long as each film isn’t 90 minutes long, I’m good with the decision. If BOTH films add up to be LOTR: RotK length only (3 hours 20 minutes), I know it will be a cop out. Can’t wait to see how it turns out though.

Avatar Image says:

This is wonderful! There is so much in the 7th book that it is nice to hear other people recognizing this. Good for Ms. Rowling, Harry Potter and many many fans! Whoohoo.

Avatar Image says:

i am so happy they decided to do this… there is no other way to do this.

Avatar Image says:

I’m thrilled that we are getting two movies. It says to me that they are going to try to include every important scene. (YEA!) I think Kloves can do a great job because I do not blame him for superpinkgirlpower Hermione in PoA ... that I blame on Curion. You could easily tell that he was enamored of Emma. Having said that, Hermione plays a HUGE part in DH. Without her those two boys would have been totally lost. We are so lucky that we have so much to look forward to. :)

Avatar Image says:

I’m pleased to see that at least someone involved in the film takes the story seriously. At last! Now I hope I’ll live long enough to see the last installment, and also to purchase the Blu-Ray boxed set of the complete series.

OMT

CarolynJ said:

“I think Kloves can do a great job because I do not blame him for superpinkgirlpower Hermione in PoA … that I blame on Curion.”

The problem with that theory is that the “super-powering” of Hemione started before PoA. Remember her getting most of Ron’s important lines (and one of Dumbledore’s, for cryin’ out loud) in CoS?

Avatar Image says:

I think they should have split the 5th movie (The Order of the Phoenix). There was soooo much that needed to be in the movie. For it being the the second longest book, it was the shortest movie yet. That isn’t right. EXCELLENT movie, but needed to be longer.

Avatar Image says:

This is great, but it’s a bit late, don’t you think? Personally I feel that book 4,5,6 and 7 should be made into 2 movies each. There was so mch cut out from GoF, and even more from OotP!! I am sure HBP can be made beautifully into 2 films.

It seems like they’re making the last one into 2 films not for the fans (too little too late) but instead as a last way to make an extra buck.

Steve Kloves is awesome. Wish he was around when GoF was being made, he might have created a 2 movie/book trend and I am sure all potter fans would have loved the extra HP hours without the cuts of St. Mungo’s etc.

Avatar Image says:

Prior to DH, GOF was my favorite book of the series…I wish they had made GOF into a 2 part movie….I don’t believe the current one does the book justice. SIGH.

Looking forward to DH..

Avatar Image says:

i think it’s cool that they will split Deathly Hallows…..i would also agree with some that Order of the Phoenix should have been split…..so much of the book was left out of the movie….but would have made for an even more spectacular movie

Avatar Image says:

this is so great! but i really would be feeling better if kloves stops making hermione, like, power puff, power ranger, super hero hard-as-a rock girl. i hope they have crying scenes for ALL of them, real scenes, esp. Malfoy manor, the most emotional for Ron (or the locket) because if he does that comic I’m-scared face like in CoS, i would be extremely dissappointed. real emotions PLEASE! : )

Avatar Image says:

Yes, it will be a long wait, but it takes time to make a good movie.

I say split it right after Malfoy Manner… it would be a cliff-hanger at the point where Harry and Dobby Disapparate out of the dungeon, with Part 2 opening as they Apparate at Shell Cottage.

Avatar Image says:

I would split it after “the life & lies of AD” when Harry is wandless, one friend down and hopeless…it is nearly the half of the book, and right after that answers start to pop up.

Avatar Image says:

Yahoo!!! All I can think of to say is YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree with you all, we true Harry Potter fans deserve this! I can’t wait! And just wait and see the wait in between the Lord of the Rings trilogy wasn’t bad at all it’ll fly by in no time! Plus we have HBP to look forward too! Again I say a very hearfelt YAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I wonder how the potential SAG strike will affect the shooting of this movie.

Avatar Image says:

It won’t. The strike will happen this summer and one section or group has already begun negotiations. If anything, this strike will keep the actors from doing anything new this summer. Filming won’t begin until a year from now, giving them time to work on the script, seeing as how the writers’ strike kept them from working on it before. Dan should be okay to work on broadway because I think that is a different guild.

Avatar Image says:

that’s really cool! it stretches out the ending of harry potter just a little bit longer. i’m just wondering where part 1 will end…when ron leaves, after harry goes to godric’s hollow and meets that lady, after they get the sword, after they get captured….so many parts that are fairly high action enough to be a climax! i can’t believe i’m gonna have to wait like 2 and half years to find out

Avatar Image says:

I’m getting more and more used to the idea of a two part film. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that everyone on the team is very excited about it. And especially in light of this news, it shows that this isn’t an altruistic move in which they are simply trying to drag the series out so they can make more money – especially if they were going to make Goblet of Fire – the fourth book – a two part film. They are indeed trying to do the best they can with these immense novels that JKR has written so wonderfully (though I have always felt that they were doing their best.)

I know many fans are disappointed by the idea that they would have to wait until 2011 to see the final installment, but I just wanted to reiterate the point that filming isn’t going to begin until February of 2009, which is just under a year away (11 months from now). They then usually take about 7 months to shoot the normal length HP film (Such as HPB which is being shot between October and May) – and that’s longer than most films take (the average is 4 to 5 months for a longish film (aka a really intense Spielberg film) since some can take as little as 2 months. For Deathly Hallows, they are going to be shooting the scripts back to back (like they did with Lord of the Rings and the last two installments of Pirates) but it’s going to take a long time to do so (add on several more months). They also like to give these kids breaks. It’s grueling being in these films.

Then there is all the post-production work. Editing is seriously extensive work. There are always three different cuts every time an editor puts together a sequence (one that they like, one that the director likes and one that the producers like). Its a long long journey. Then all the special effects. As much as those of us in the industry would love to just push a button and have all the effects in there – its just not that simple yet (Though I wish it were – then again my degree isn’t in SFX thank goodness, I’ll leave that to everyone else).

These films take a long time to produce but that just means we are getting a better film out of it. I’d be worried if they were being shot out in a shorter period of time. Though a year and a half between all the previous films (on average) is still a rather short time period considering. I just think we’ve all been spoiled. But the time it’s all said and done, we’ll all be said and wishing we were still waiting for another movie they way I’m sure a lot of us felt after the book came out – glad to read the ending but sad that it was over.

Avatar Image says:

IM SOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CAN’T WAIT FOR THE BIG RON AND HERMIONE KISS!!!!!!!!!!!FINALLY RON AND HERMIONE WILL HAVE SOME ROMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

And people what’s so bad with hermione the superpinkpower girl or wat ever ur calling it???I mean i think hermione deserves everything because if it weren’t for her, harry would be DEAD ages ago….he wouldn’t even survive to be 12 years old!!!!! HERMIONE did most of the work, harry did all the fighting and ron made all the jokes to make the atmosphere feel good!!! So they all had a role of their own to do!!!

Avatar Image says:

This will give him room “to stretch a bit with the characters”? No thanks, Kloves, you’ve stretched them enough.

What kills me is reading all these comments and seeing people blame the directors for the faults of the writers-people, Hermione and Ron being so completely and totally out of character is 75% Kloves fault, 25% director’s fault. And I seriously doubt that giving him more room to write is going to fix his character deficiencies-it’ll just just Hermione more time to steal Ron’s lines and more time for Ron to look like a complete and utter fool. I’ve always loved Ron, and unfortunately have had to defend him countless times, but I know I wouldn’t have to defend him nearly as much had not the movies completely twisted people’s ideas of who Ron is. It kills me, literally KILLS me—Yates will only be able to do so much with the HBP script, and I have no doubt that they abused Ron’s character horribly. We’ll see.

I’m sorry to rant, but nothing really breaks my heart more than thinking about Steve Kloves and the fandom-we were supposed to be this massive thing that could inflict change and speak out-but all I feel is repeatedly hushed in the presence of fellow Potters whenever I dare to doom Kloves—even here on the Leaky Cauldron, its as though I’m being told to hush, or the big, bad Warner Bros. will come to get the Leaky.

Goldenburg was the only writer to pay any attention to the characters-and call me crazy, but to me, they’re the most important part of the Potter stories. Not how much money they’ll make or whether there’s enough “super-girl power,” but whether the heart, the beating, thriving heart of the Potter books and characters that we love exists. OotP did that-it was the only one that captured that feel-the very FEEL of the book-people are bickering about how much was left out, but that’s not the point! The point is, was is Potter. And it was the first one that was.

So now, with this news, I look forward to seeing what Yates can do, but dread two movies that will break my heart.

Avatar Image says:

...OK, WHY do we have that crossout feature whenever someone does this:—??

Avatar Image says:

I do like the fact that Deathly Hallows is being split into too films. It will do the book justice. I also like the movies for what they are. These movies are better than other movies out there regardless of what is cut or not. GOF was very good. Im 28 and Im a huge Harry Potter fan. I have posters in my room that you can find on posterplanet.net or on ebay. I work at the movies now so I saw the last 2 movies free and as many times as I wanted. I read the books after GOF came out. OOTP was done well so I do think the other movies will be good as well.

Avatar Image says:

Well Personally I think they should have done GoF, OotP and HBP in two parts and I like the concept of doing DH in three. PoA was the last book that was short enough to do in one movie, especially considering that they kept making the movies shorter and shorter, wasn’t the last one the shortest? That is to much.

They mention that they could not make DH into one movie because there were so few sub plots, but when you think of it, there have been very few sub plots in the entire series, and they kept most of them in. Ya something looked like a sub plot in one book, but then in the next book, or the book after that it became a really big deal.

Oh well, hind sight is always 20/20 but you would think that professionals looking at this kind of thing, especially considering how popular not only the books were but also the first three movies, would have figured that out way back when.

John B.

Avatar Image says:

that is big news but i would suggest the movie makers to lessen the gap between the release of deathly hallows part 1 and 2 say 6 to 7 months. that will be very exciting. a true harry potter fan signing off….....

Avatar Image says:

I think they’ll do a brilliant job now, I was dreading that DH was going to be hacked and chopped like OOTP and GOF . I’ll be terribly upset if the don’t almost follow it to the letter of the book…Of course they’ll have to bring back all the proper current actors and introduce Bill Weasley because his and Fleur’s house are so important in poor Dobby’s burial. I can’t wait to see who plays Ron’s Aunt and Bathelda Bagshot (sp) Oh, sInce I’m an older HP fan at 47 I can be patient but wish I didn’t have to be.

Avatar Image says:

It was a huge loss the fact that they didn’t go ahead and did split GoF…. In my opinion is the worst movie, the story was so damaged, even thought they did a great job with the last sequence… The Goblet of Fire was the most disappointing movie so far.

Avatar Image says:

First, Sue, thank you for bringing this happy and welcome news! This is an event that will eclipse all others. I also would like to echo Tara’s comments: It is SO important to hear this come from the screenwriter After our dear JKR, it will be in his hands, to mold it into the masterpiece it deserves.Also, it IS a good day to be a Harry Potter Fan!

Avatar Image says:

well that’s very nice of you mr. Steve. I wonder why you didn’t consider splitting OOTP though. I’m looking forward for DH.And it’s sooo 3 years from now!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m really glad they are paying tribute to Rowling’s work by making two films out of DH! It has to happen if there’s a great story, it needs time and depths. I’m also glad Radcliffe approves, instead of wishing that it should all be over soon. I’m also ready to believe them somehow that they are doing it for creative and not purely for commercial reasons…

Avatar Image says:

Yes!! I love Steve Kloves! Actually, GoF was fine as a single film, I had thought if they wanted to split, they’d have split OotP, even though, Caracticus, I agree with the S.P.E.W thing :D

But splitting Deathly Hallows was absolutely necessary, considering the numerous sub plots which were too important for the story and can’t be cut off. As of the division, I still think they’ll do it around the time Ron finishes off the first horcrux and the trio get reunited. Gosh, I’m squeeing again!!

Avatar Image says:

The only thing I really disliked about GOF was the way they changed the Quidditch World Cup DE attack, which I thought was an unnecessary change. The rest I thought was fine.. I’m struggling to think what they could have added to the film to make it into a two parter. I don’t care much for Hermione’s elf subplot. I suppose more of the Rita Skeeter stuff would have been good, especially about Hagrid and her last ‘Harry is an attention seeker’ article; Ron and Harry finding out about Hagrid being half giant at the Ball (because I thought Ron’s reaction to it compared to Harry’s was quite telling about wizard prejudices). But I can’t think of enough to make two films. They could have shortened the dragon bit to add the Skeeter stuff.

OotP, I don’t think would work as a two parter, because it’s a single story about Harry’s inner stuggle. I do wish they’d made it a bit longer to do justice to the Dursleys and added some of the postWeasley and teacher rebellion. Or at least put those scenes onto the deleted scenes instead of the rubbish they did put on the dvd. That’s all really (personally I prefer the film MOM compared to the book, to translate the whole book version to film would have made it interminable). I’m hoping we get to see Snape’s worst memory in the last film.

I think DH is the first that could really work as a two parter, and I’m really pleased because it is my favourite book and I’m now hopeful we’ll get a good innings with The Prince’s Tale!

Avatar Image says:

This is great! Although the release dates are SO far apart from one another. That must mean that the film will be spectacular though…I’m glad we have a smart group of people running this franchise :D

redreh said:

{people, Hermione and Ron being so completely and totally out of character is 75% Kloves fault, 25% director’s fault}

That’s odd, redreh, because I’ve read the original shooting script for PoA (it’s online), and there was no mention of super-Hermione or super-wimpy-Ron at all—I thought they were pretty on-character. Ron even sacrificed himself to save the others from the Grim.

However it happened, I will admit that the characters in the final version of the PoA film were a bit off from how they are in the book—but I still enjoyed the film very much, because I don’t take such things so seriously. It’s only a movie after all, the books are not harmed by them. I also agree that it was refreshing to see such a canon-Ron in OotP.

Avatar Image says:

Great, 2 movies of camping out w/ the Trio. Can’t wait.

Of all the books to split, DH? GOF or OotP would’ve made a much more logical choice to split into 2 movies. But DH? Let’s face it, there’s a lot of tightening up that can be done to the books.

Avatar Image says:

i still hope they cut it off at the tale of three brothers, call the first one deathly hallows, and the second one elder wand. seeing as the elder wand is the only deathly hallow harry does not prosess when xenophilius tells harry about the hallows.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Squibby on GoF—they could have cut the stupid dragon scene and put WAY more stuff in that movie!

I am concerned about “preserving the integrity” of the book—are they going to be able to capture everything properly, like Dobby’s fate, and Kreacher’s tale of the locket, etc.? I mean, to get the proper impact of Dobby’s death, they are probably kicking themselves for removing him from the fourth and fifth movies. I bet he’s not even in the sixth movie, which makes me wonder if they’ll cut his death from the seventh movie.

Unfortunately, I have become cynical about the movies and don’t have much confidence in their abilities to do these amazing books justice. Of course I’ll still see them on opening day, though!

Avatar Image says:

@ Erik: Completely agree. I basically treat the movies as a visual encyclopedia to the books. CoS was the last movie to have any resemblance to the books.

I know a lot of non-book readers who gave up on the movies after PoA and GoF made no sense whatsoever. I’ve said this for the last few years, that I feel sorry for anyone who sees the film and hasn’t read the books. They must be completely lost.

Take a look at the books lined up on a book shelf. Each one gets progressively thicker and thicker – yet they try to cram each one into the same timeframe. It just isn’t going to work.

I do have high hopes for HBP however, since most of that book was filler – a 2 or 2.5 hour running time should make for a pretty tightly paced movie.

Avatar Image says:

Would have made more sense to have cut GOF into two than DH. There’s more going on and the tension could have built and the gap been good for building excitement. I can’t see where they could put a satisfactory cut in DH and keep people interested. There’s a lot of quiet time where the trio are just camping and I found those bits quite dull in places. There’s not a dull moment in GOF (the book I mean, there was plenty in the film) and it would have been great if they’d cut it in half after the first task, with perhaps a lingering shot on the egg as the celebrations went on. I dunno, I don’t get these people. They’ve screwed up the story and it bothers me that cos I adore a couple of the actors I still watch the films but still end up disappointed. Jo should have been a lot firmer with them from the beginning.

Avatar Image says:

They should have done the same with GoP, because IMHO it was the worst of all movies… it looked like a video clip, with no character development and no loyalty to the true spirit that we felt when reading the book.

Let’s hope they do it right now… :)

BRING BACK J. WILLIAMS!

Bandersnatch:

It’s interesting you’ve mentioned reading a PoA script online. Normally those things are very classified and tough to get to. (Right now I’m actually looking for a libretto for Spamalot and there is NONE to be found, which breaks my heart…) I’d be interested to read it myself, can you tell me where? Also, not to cast total doubt over your comment, but online scripts of things cannot always be trusted unless its from a reputable site. First hand script copies (that is, copies before editing/change) are things that, usually, only the Library of Congress (or something like it) would have.

And yes, I know, that rant was a little chaotic, and very mis-spelled. But I do feel very strongly about the books and the characters, thus the rant.

Whether or not Hermione was “super-ed up” in script, it cannot be denied that the bounty of wonderful lines for Ron (and Dumbledore) were passed to her for no real reason other than because Kloves has noted she’s his favourite character, his go-to girl when he can’t figure out where to fit a line (despite the fact that that line was said in a book by a different character.) This happened way back with CoS and continued all the way through GoF. The worst instance I can think of is in PoA, when Hermione says Ron’s line “If you want to kill Harry, you’ll have to kill us too.” Ron is meant to say that. Broken leg and all. He’s not meant to whimper—the share of support is BETWEEN the two, not solely on Hermione’s shoulders.

I mostly just feel that, despite all the out of character-ness, there is no reason, NO reason at all, for lines from one character to be blatantly given to another, especially when the appropriate character is there within the scene. If he does that, he’s not truly paying homage to JK’s work, but saying, “I think Hermione should have said this, not Ron.”

I mean, just look at Lord of the Rings. It is widely agreed to be one of the best renditions of book to film ever made; I would personally have to agree. They were not perfect, they did change Faramir’s character slightly (but within that they still managed to capture his essence and his heart). The changes to Ron and Hermione have left all that out. Ron is wimpering and cowardly, not brave and loyal as he is in the books. Hermione is all-conquering and confident, not insecure (which she is, deep down, which is why she over-compensates with knowledge, even JKR has said so) and stressed. I adore to no end book-Hermione; she is endearing and powerful in her humanity. I adore book-Ron for the same reasons. I find that I just don’t care for their portrayal in the movies (with the exeption of OotP), whether that be writer’s fault or director’s fault, or even actor’s fault.

Back to Lord of the Rings: they had at least four writers at one time working on a way to take the book and translate it to screen, honor the writer, and honor the fans. For a movie as big as Harry Potter, I feel that the fans were not honored at all.

My bottom line is: Kloves sure as hell isn’t helping the movie situation. Goldenburg, or heck, a collaboration between the two, which is really all I wanted, would have been better.

Avatar Image says:

“Ron is wimpering and cowardly, not brave and loyal as he is in the books. Hermione is all-conquering and confident, not insecure (which she is, deep down, which is why she over-compensates with knowledge, even JKR has said so) and stressed. I adore to no end book-Hermione; she is endearing and powerful in her humanity. I adore book-Ron for the same reasons.”

That’s a pretty perfect summary. Though I don’t have such strong feelings as you because I love the films and they led me to the books not the other way round, Ron’s ‘wimpering’ is starting to annoy me when I rewatch the films. I do really hope they get Hermione’s softness into DH, because that’s when I really fell in love with her book character and I will be disappointed if it doesn’t come across in the film. She is very insecure and her knowledge acts as her comforter, plus she also has a weakness, which is that she can’t do intuitive wizard thinking when under pressure (Harry’s strength).

I think the part when they arrive at Grimmauld Place and encounter ‘dust Dumbledore’ is the most telling summary about their three characters. Harry is almost unphased and reacts calmly and instinctively, Hermione is cowering in terror, and Ron is a little shaky but shields her. Then Hermione, once she’s calmed down, uses her knowledge to test whether anyone’s there.

Avatar Image says:

Thats alil bit good news but the thing that i dont like about it is the times they r coming out. What im meaning is there is like a 6 month waiting time between part 1 & part 2 which means part 1 will be on DVD by time part 2 comes out to the movies. Im happy that they choice to make 2 parts that way the Final Battle will be like an hour or more long. :)

Avatar Image says:

For people worrying that Kloves won’t do a good job on DH… now that there’s two DH films, he’s going to have to step it up in terms of adapting the book. Now people are expecting Ron to stab the locket (which will happen, because it’s necessary to Ron’s return and making amends) and having Hermione tortured at the Malfoys’ by Bellatrix, etc.. Plus, David Yates is directing these films and he’ll have input in the scripts.

I think some fans are overreacting to this news. Aside from these minor complaints about characters given other characters’ lines, I think Kloves has done a fine job with the Potter films. Goldenberg was much better in staying true to the characters and the overall story of OOTP, I’d wish he and Kloves would co-write the DH scripts rather than Kloves flying solo.

Avatar Image says:

I would just like to point out that in ALL cases, JKR has had input and has been involved in the scripting process, and DH is no exception. She buys into the idea and that is what is important. If she had said “absolutely NO way”, then I would be concerned if the movie folks went ahead with their own plans.

Like an earlier poster, I came to the books because of the movies, and yes, there are plotlines and dialogue and a whole host of other things that have been changed or eliminated. But in my view, the books and movies have ALWAYS been different “animals” and should be. Changes are not an issue, and in fact, if things are missing that render the products “unclear”, most folks who are intersted WILL go back and read the book (more on this in a moment) to better understand!!

Let me illustrate an interesting point that, in my humble opinion, speaks to the issue of LOTR and HP and why the two cannot really be compared in terms of their transfer from the written word to the visually stunning renditions on screen (and explains a bit why I have no problem with this turn of events).

If you think about Tolkein and the way he wrote LOTR, you might recall that he spends what I, at least, consider to be an inordinate amount of time on description. He describes the landscape, the clothing, the textures and colours and a myriad of other items and scenes in exquisite detail (excricuating detail, some would say, but please don’t get me wrong, I adore the LOTR Trilogy)). So you can capture a hundred pages of description in a 60 second film scene. The visual impact is such that you are so overwhelmend by the accuracy of the scene, that you overlook, or even forgive other inaccuracies, or, as was the case for me, you look at the scene on screen, and realize in an instant, because this is exactly how YOU pictured it, then everything else is credible!

It is harder to do that with HP, because it is the narrative that makes them so good. And even so, MANY people I spoke to didn’t think that LOTR was an accuraute depiction of what the books described.

I take away from this 2 things; first, it is so important to remember that the books and corresponding films are 2 different tellings of the same story, and as such, rely on capturing the audience in different ways; and, second, obviously everyone will see this in their own way, but I find it interesting that all the movies made lots of money, even the “worst”, and this despite all the commentary that this or that was terrible or bad. People still go, despite the “reviews” to see movies they want to see and will continue to do so, no matter who says what. You can even read this in the preceeding posts from folks saying they don’t like this, that or the other, but that they will be right up there on opening day to try and see the movies! I love it.

If I had to choose what it MY idea of the most important aspect of this whole phenomenon, it is that a movie can generate so much interest and discussion that people who would NEVER have even lifted a book to exercise their arms have lifted books (NOT just the HP ones) in ever-increasing numbers, and discovered for the themselves the differences between the written and the visual stories.

Now THAT is awesome, my friends.

At least in my humble opinion.

M.

Avatar Image says:

Morton, you are very right.

And I know JKR supports them. I honestly think she’s just so damn glad to be getting so many people to read, and to be getting so many people interested in her tale, and I cannot blame her. In that aspect, the movies are indeed wonderful things.

And yes, dear Tolkien, with his vast descriptions… sigh. But being the total nerd I am, I have watched just about every extra feature on my DVDs and can say that the writers had a discussion for about 3 weeks( I think it was) on how to open up the first movie, on that first paragraph for Galadriel alone. I just think that that kind of devotion and patience should be taken with the Potter books, for they are no less loved. WB has this rush to get the movies out b/c, yes, the kids are aging, and I think in the back of their minds there is a fear that the fandom will fade. Which I know we can all agree it absolutely ridiculous.

The attention paid to the details and descriptions in LotR should be paid here to the characters, which are the largest part of the HP whole.

I suppose what it comes down to is what’s most important to you, the story or the characters? For me, it is always the people, and because I have been in love with Ron and Hermione since I was 11, it cuts to the heart to see them rendered so.

But I have faith in Yates. And I am grateful and conscious of the great wonder it is to have so many people reading and loving these books, no matter how they came across them.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t see the point in making us wait so long for the second half of book 7. I think if anything it should come out within at least 6 months after the first one.

Write a Reply or Comment