122

Mar 14, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Empire magazine has a new interview with Harry Potter producer David Heyman on the decision to make two films out of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In this new article, David Heyman describes the thought process behind the decision to split, debating on whether to make a “four and a half hour film,” or the possibility of both as “two and a half hours long” and much more. He also declines to say where the split in the book will come as “don’t have the first script. We do have a point roughly where we want to end, but we haven’t got a draft to know if that works yet.”

On the matter of splitting and length of the films he says quote: ” We just thought how are we going to approach this? Is this going to be a four and a half hour film? That’s probably what it would have been. Would our audience really embrace that? In some way, I think they might. But I think the younger ones would have drifted. There’s always been difficulty making sure that the ones that are two hours, two and a half hours long ’ making sure that those are the right length. I think by having two films that are two and a half hours ’ although we’re not sure of the length ’ then it will be a richer experience. One of the challenges that faces us, which we’ve been discussing, is how to give each film its own identity. We want them to feel like one film, but they’ve got to be self-contained too. We feel now that we’ve got a really good angle on that. But we haven’t got a script yet on either part, so I don’t want to say too much.”

Empire: So these films will be the same length as the ones that came before? We won’t see two films that clock in under two hours?
David Heyman: No. The idea is to get everything people want in there. I’m sure there’ll be parts that don’t make it, which we won’t know until the script is written. But that is the idea.

Empire: What do you think is the natural separation point in the books? Where can you end the first film in a satisfying way?
David Heyman: It depends what feeling you want [to end on]. I don’t want to answer that just yet because we don’t have the first script. We do have a point roughly where we want to end, but we haven’t got a draft to know if that works yet.”

In addition there are comments on the discussion with Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling on the decision to split the book, how the cast members (especially Dan Radcliffe) would handle the filming, and says again they will begin filming both movies at the same time, starting next February. Finally of note are some of the scenes David Heyman is looking forward to in the movies, as he says:

“Well, the final battle, but there’s so much. I love the character stuff. I love the resolution of Dumbledore and Snape. I love the multiple Harries at the beginning. I love the scene of Hermione trapped at the Malfoys’. I love Harry and Hermione in the forest. I think there’s so much, it’s such a rich fabric. What we’ve done now, which I think is really exciting, is that we’ve found thematic centres for each of the films. That gives the film heart. I think it’s pretty great that David Yates has crystalised it and¦it’s early days still, so I’m not going to say too much. But I’m just thrilled that David Yates decided to come back, because he’s really found a new spirit for the sixth film and as we talk about seven, it’s very different as well. I think it’s going to be good.”

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One will be released Holiday (November) of 2010, with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two due May (early summer timeframe) 2011.

Thanks Sarah and Davey!

102 Responses to David Heyman Talks Splitting Deathly Hallows, Both Films Possibly Two and a Half Hours Long

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!

Avatar Image says:

Cool. I’d like to give Mr Heyman a big kiss (on the cheek, nothing scary). ;)

Avatar Image says:

A lot of news articles about the DH split coming thick and fast in the last 24 hours, not that I am complaining :-) I have so much warm faith in the whole crew.

Avatar Image says:

Off topic: whats happened to everyones avatars? Well I better qualify this post as appropriate for this article Um…go Heyman!

Avatar Image says:

Amazing News!! They are all saying the right things so far. Things the majority of fans have been hoping to hear. I realy hope both movies can live up to everyone’s expectations.

Avatar Image says:

Soo happy he mentioned Snape. This was a really good interview – these past couple of days has been amazing!

Avatar Image says:

From the very beginning, I have been impressed with David Heyman. His vision, his gentleness, his understanding and passion for this world have always made me feel that we are in good hands. I have my favorite films like everyone else, but I have always had faith in his decisions and trust in his judgment.

When you think about it, he’s lived with this world longer and more deeply than anyone else except Jo, and I will never forget his comments right before Book 7 came out last summer – that he was as excited and thrilled to be a part of now, all these years later, as he had been in the beginning.

Thank you, David, for honoring this world – and for honoring us.

SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Will say more once I can think properly ;)

Its simply great.

Finally -Jo’s material and us, the HP fandom, are getting treated with the respect we deserve. I am sure that Yates and of course, the wonderful Hayman, always did have that respect, for they are fans to -but for big studios, the bottom line is the profit -so finally here, all parties will be happy.

Roll on then with extended DVds and the rest !

Avatar Image says:

the more i read from Heyman and Radcliffe, the more i’m thinking the split will be somewhere after the Malfoy Manor fight/ Dobey’s burial by the sea.

Avatar Image says:

My main question is: What will make part 1 a self contained film without feeling woefully incomplete? Take The Golden Compass for example. The film ended so abruptly that I felt ultimately cheated – there was no solid platform. What will Part 1’s identity be? Perhaps it will revolve around the search for the Hocruxes and the atmosphere will be of a “Nazi like” oppression. I imagine the darkest episode should be Part 1 including Rons waivering faith in Harry, the “cleansing of muggle born society”, it may end at a very anxious point with Ron leaving. While part 2 will revolve around the concept of the Hallows and Harry’s internal conflict in his mission (ie’ Hallows or horcruxes). The tone of part 2 I imagine to be of a building tension and crescendo to the battle ahead. Oh what the heck do I know, just bring it on!

Avatar Image says:

I’m doing the conga dance right now.

Five hours of Harry Pot TER!!

Five Hours of Harry Pot TER!!

Avatar Image says:

It says Comments (0) when clearly there have been comments made.

Hm, I guess I have to post to read the comments.

Avatar Image says:

Professor Lily, that was a lovely comment, and I have to say I agree with you on all of it. Like you, I have favorite HP movies and favorite scenes, and then there were some that disappointed a bit….but all in all, WB and Mr Heyman and the whole HP gang have done exceedingly well by the fans.

P.S. Yes, I was wondering the same as Professor Potter: Where’s my avatar? :-(

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Amy S. SQUEEEEEEEEE! 5 hours of Harry Potter? That’s brilliant! And the length is unconfirmed, so it could possibly be more!

Avatar Image says:

“But I’m just thrilled that David Yates decided to come back, because he’s really found a new spirit for the sixth film and as we talk about seven, it’s very different as well. I think it’s going to be good.”

I am glad he came back as well.

Avatar Image says:

I am so happy that he mentioned the Seven Potters. That means that they will make it on the film!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t care what all those naysayers say (did that make sence?). I am in awe of David Heyman. He very clearly loves the books and the caracters. I think we are in for a bloody amazing final film. With David Yates signing on almost the second he gets asked. All the others in aswell. And then about 2.5 hours for each film!

Alright, I have to take a breath now!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Ah, this is a bit more positive info. :) Now I’m actually looking forward to them, though 2010 and 2011 seem SO far away.

Avatar Image says:

I’m so happy! so many wonderful news in such short period of time. I love D. Heyman! and I’m so glad that he told us about all these scenes that he liked, I hope all of them will make it! :D

Professor Potter, I think they did it to “The Golden compass” because it was a “holiday” movie, and the real end would’ve been too depressing, but if you remember they did show a bit of the ending in the trailer.

Avatar Image says:

Ah, how nice. That’ll line their pockets for a little longer then. They are purely doing this for money. They keep going on and on about how you can’t cut certain things and little details from the last book but is everyone forgetting the fact that all the little bits haven’t been led up to in the previous films so will mean nothing. I mean there’s been no Mundungus, no locket…I could go on. What are they so determined needs to be uncut that will be as effective when so much has been cut before? I’d love to know. I think the impact won’t be as great, I can’t see where a cut will fit. I honestly don’t understand why they think they need two films when so much has been cut before and won’t or can’t be included because of that (or it won’t make sense). The only way I can see it needing more time and a cut is if Kloves is thinking of adding his own stuff again groan. I’m not happy, but then that’s not new with the film franchise so I don’t know why I’m surprised. They could have just made the film a decent length (3-3.5 hours) and had everything that connects with the previous films. People say the fans need to disconnect the books and the films and I agree, so why when we’ve ‘tolerated’ (not me personally, I’ve been gutted by it) them removing so much from the books previously are we now so adamant to support them separating the last book when a lot of it won’t even make sense to non-readers anyway cos plot details or characters have been cut in other films? Unless Kloves and the producers are planning on trying to make amends and put cut things back in then I don’t see the point. Sorry

Avatar Image says:

can I just say yeeeehaaa! two 2.5 hour long films!! :))

Avatar Image says:

I figure they will be putting those important plot points back in somehow. We have to remember that until now they didn’t know for sure what was needed for the end. They would have had hints by JKR but nothing definite. Of course they want to make money. Studios are not charities, but it doesn’t matter! We get more HP which is what people have wanted all along and now we choose to complain? Well I’m not complaining. I am ecstatic and have been excited ever since I heard. This is a great thing. 2 more than 2 hour movies!!! Wooooohooooo! :)

Avatar Image says:

@ Peeved – Do yourself a favor then, if you’re so “gutted” about the entire series of films, stop going to see them. If you think so many things about the last installment are going to disappoint you and they are only doing this to make more money – stop giving them yours.

I think this is going to be a really nice ending to the series. I have to agree with a lot of people on this particular post in saying that Mr. Heyman really has a deep understanding and compassion for these films. There is nothing greater than having a producer who truly believes in the film being produced – trust me it makes a huge difference. I’ve worked on projects where the producer doesn’t really believe in the script and because of that didn’t really push for the best of the best. I feel that because Heyman is so drawn to the series and loves it so dearly that this will be a wonderful ending for both novel and film fans a like.

hear hear Nurlomum!

Avatar Image says:

Nurlomum – That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking. Although JKR let the filmakers know what absolutely couldn’t be changed or left out, there are lots of areas that got short shrift. Not really their fault under the circumstances.

So, my hope is that the additional time will give the filmakers the opportunity to shore up those areas. Two particular areas that might benefit are the House Elves and Neville.

Joins the ‘Five hours of Potter heaven’ konga dance ;D

Avatar Image says:

So so so excited for the movies!! Ive also been thinking about the split, and although this seems unlikely to me, I think a great split would be in the middle of the Xenophilius visit when he says “are you referring to the sign of the deathly hallows?” I think it is very suspenseful and would be quite exciting- it would also split it into 2 relatively different films.

Avatar Image says:

“What we’ve done now, which I think is really exciting, is that we’ve found thematic centres for each of the films.”

So I wonder what the thematic center is that they’ve found for the first film? (We pretty much know what the second film’s thematic center will be). The obvious guess for the thematic center of the first film would be the locket horcrux (ending after the Silver Doe).

If we knew what the thematic center for the first film was, we could guess where they’re going to make the split.

Avatar Image says:

@ Peeved – Stop giving your money to them then if they are so upsetting. It’s as simple as that.

@ Nurlomum – That’s what I was thinking. I think they are going to find a way to put back in everything that was left out in the past that had importance. They didn’t know what was important before, so it hard to tell what could be cut since they still didn’t know the end of the story. JKR gave them hints, but it still was vague. I think the additional time will help them make the ‘corrections’ they need to make, and do DH justice.

I am quite excited about this movie now. :D

Avatar Image says:

David Yates should have directed all seven films (or eight …). Really, I love what Cuaron did with film three, but I missed so much of what was in the book. If Yates had it … oh, my! It would have been the best movie ever!

Avatar Image says:

So our fate of enjoyment rests in the hands of Kloves. Again. Oh joy. head desk

Avatar Image says:

I’m shocked! This is absolutely amazing, I’m so excited! I can’t believe they’ve actually—that they’re actually giving us what we want! This is the BEST!

Avatar Image says:

Peeved—As has been said: Well, of course the studio wants to make money.

I haven’t regretted any money I’ve spent on Harry Potter. Ever. I’ve never thought “Oh, this is going to make JKR and WB richer, grumble grumble.” If I felt that way, I wouldn’t go. Vote with your wallet, and don’t sit behind me in the theater and gripe.

Excuse me for saying this, but: Duh!

Avatar Image says:

i must say… the only thing i don’t like about hearing all about this now…

is that i have to wait SO LONG to see the movies!!

this is going to be SO worth the wait though! about 5 hours of book 7… geeze-um-crow!!

-MBW

Avatar Image says:

this is great!!! i really like the idea of splitting them… In fact, i think that they should have spilt GoF as well. Maybe even OotP… The more the merrier!

Avatar Image says:

Heyman is truly exceptional. I’m so glad that he is the one that has seen this series through since the beginning. He always talks about it with pride and I think he sincerely wants to make these films the best they can be.

~ pulls the charming Mr Heyman into the conga line ~

Avatar Image says:

oh my gosh!!5 hours Potter movie!!these news are getting better and better :) oh and by the way i think i can say WE ALL LOVE David Heyman !!:)

Avatar Image says:

Wonder how this will effect the contracts. They may film this is has one movie, but royalties (I would think) would be treated as 2 different movies.

It must not have been a big deal, since they’re moving forward.

Also, I would love to have the 2 movies recombined into 1 5-hour disc on Blu-Ray. Standard DVD wouldn’t be able to handle the length, but a blu-ray could handle it.

Can you imagine a 5-hour HP movie

And to those criticising WB as being money grubber – so what? Would you rather have a lame 2.5 hour movie with tons of stuff left out, a really long 3.5 or 4 hour movie that would alienate some moviegoers and effect overall success due to fewer screenings per day, or 2 movies that give HP fandom the movie they want?

It’s the last book – I say go out with a bang!

Avatar Image says:

SO WHAT if they make a BLOODY FORTUNE!!!!!!

Two – 2.5 hour Harry Potter movies …. I am in heaven! There are no words to properly convey my complete delight!!!!!!! I have a stupid grin on my face and as soon as I quit typing I’ll be up doing the HAPPY DANCE!!!! .....

2 … 2 … 2 GOOD TO BE TRUE ….. NOT!!!! :-) YA HOOOOO!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

So you’re pretty happy, then.

Avatar Image says:

I do think the motivation is purely financial, but maybe they’ll make two good movies regardless! I feel the sucess of the 5th movie was really fuelled a lot by the impending release of the 7th book, and my opinion is that the average Potter fan is starting to tire of the whole thing. I’m not so sure prolonging it will have the impact they hope it will….we’ll just have to wait three years and see, huh?!

Avatar Image says:

That was Very Good interview, Good Lock david…..

Avatar Image says:

The order of the pheonix is the longest book yet the shortest movie why did they do that and how is 700 pages going to last 4 and half hours

Avatar Image says:

Since the news of the split DH, I started listening to the audio book again. The more I listen to this book the more it becomes my favorite of the series. I am thrilled that they are going to try to put every theme of the book into the movie. Five hours is exactly what I hoped for. That I think, would be perfect.

Avatar Image says:

I have faith it will be great. I can picture millions of fans comming out of the theatres around the world totally amazed at these couple of films and it will be a great film with closure. Then we all have to gather and go to the Wizarding World of HP in Orlando to celebrate. Massive PotterCast episode with the trio and JK Rowling! ok ok I’m dreaming a bit too hard. It would be awesome though… I’m super exited!

Avatar Image says:

First smart thing they’ve done, I’d say.

I’m very pleased with this decision and hope they can add in as much as possible. Very pleased indeed. This might actually be a good film…

haha And I see nearly everybody feels the same way.

Avatar Image says:

I know waiting is hard, but look at it this way: there’s no way Pottercast can end until well after the 8th (I can’t believe I just got to say that ;) ) DVD comes out!

Avatar Image says:

On the financial motivation for a 2-part DH: Well, of course they wanted to make more money. But if in the course of making more money, they also make what I believe is the better creative decision (which means 5 freaking hours of DH), then I don’t much care about putting more money in their wallets, because I win, they win and as far as I’m concerned, the whole (or a large chunk) of the fandom wins in the end. I am really excited and looking forward to these last 3 movies, given how much I enjoyed OotP and how I just felt that we finally had a director who really felt great affection for the characters.

Avatar Image says:

2.5 hour for each film would translate into….5 HOURS!!!!! AAAHHH!! I feel like i’m in a dream, this is just to amazing too be true.

Avatar Image says:

SORRY! I didn’t think that would post twice if I stopped the page loading to fix my name the first time.

Avatar Image says:

It’ll be brilliant to have the whole book made into film instead of having all the sub-plots pruned out. It’ll be good too if they don’t have any spare time to fit in dodgy choirs which weren’t in the book. And it’ll be good if they don’t give Ron’s best lines to Hermione. And it’ll be good if they ignore some of the dodgy precedents set by previous filmmakers which conflict with the story as JKR wrote it.

Avatar Image says:

When did they give Ron’s best lines to Hermione (I haven’t seen any of the movies in a while, I’m not being sarcastic :) )

Avatar Image says:

(Leaps out of wheelchair and throws cane away. Joins ‘Five hours of Potter heaven’ konga dance line)

Hear! Hear!

OMT

Avatar Image says:

Simply PERFECT!!! I just can’t believe it. I was looking forward to that decision. Finally we, HP fans, will have all the details we want to see in the 7th (and 8th) movie. Book 7 is just brilliant and it was totally necessary to have 2 films. I agree with the people that say part 1 has to end with Dobby’s burial. I hope time passes by REALLY FAST!!

Very wonderful news!!

I think I might just have a little crush on David Heyman. ;)

Avatar Image says:

@ Rachel “If you want to kill Harry, you’ll have to kill us too” that was one of Ron’s. Yet they gave it to Hermione in PoA.

“I think I might just have a little crush on David Heyman. ;)”—Leggers

I have an unabashedly huge crush on David Heyman. :D

Avatar Image says:

Keep in mind that there ARE only 7 movies/films. 1/2 + 1/2 = 1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows isn’t two different, separate movies, it’s one whole movie split into two and shown separately. It’s not 8 movies, it’s 7.

Avatar Image says:

Indeed money was considered when making the decision to split the final film. But some of you think it’s because they want to make all the money they can possibly get because they’re just a bunch of greedy jerks. I disagree. They couldn’t have made a 4+ hour movie because it would hurt all the theatres screening the film as well, the theatres would make less money because the longer the movie is, the less screenings they can show per day, thus resulting in less tickets being sold, less people would be able to watch the movie per day, and the theatres wouldn’t have agreed to that. I believe that some of the production crew agreed with the split because they really did want to make the final film as amazing as possible, and all the sequences in the book were too good, they couldn’t possibly have left out any major scenes. We wouldn’t want this movie at a rushed pace, some scenes will have to be slow, which I prefer. They couldn’t possibly make a good film when it’s less than 3 hours, not with Deathly Hallows anyway. I also agree with the 6 month wait b/w the 2 parts, it’s decently spaced, and I don’t find it too long at all.

Avatar Image says:

Make the movie 4 hours long I say…any adult idiotic enough to bring a kid who can’t sit through a 4 hour Harry Potter film deserves to have to leave halfway through. Come on, this shouldn’t be suitable for kids anyway this is a dark story and needs to stay that way

Avatar Image says:

This news has made me as giddy as a schoolgirl ! Deathly Hallows deserves the best film and screen treatment it can get and if splitting it is the only way to do it justice ( and it IS ) then I say…yes !

I heart you Mr. Heyman, Mr. Yates and everyone else who went into this decision making process. Mr. Heyman and Mr. Yates are taking OUR concerns very seriously, this time around. They are truly concerned with how WE will feel, in seeing this book come to life. They are not just lining their own pockets !

This is wonderful 1 I feel like I am back in the beginnings of the LOTR days !!!

Avatar Image says:

Also, let us NOT forget this: “[ David Yates] he himself fretted that the cynical observers would see the decision as a purely mercenary move.”I swear to you it was born out of purely creative reasons,” Heyman said during an interview in a converted airplane factory outside London that has been home base to all of the “Potter” productions. “Unlike every other book, you cannot remove elements of this book. You can remove scenes of Ron playing quidditch from the fifth book, and you can remove Hermione and S.P.E.W. [Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare] and those subplots . . . but with the seventh, that can’t be done.”

Oh, how I * heart* thee !!

Avatar Image says:

RAR RAR RAA this sounds so good. hopefuly they go with it.

Avatar Image says:

I am STILL squeeing and dancing at the thought of 5 hours of Harry Potter. YAY!! I heart you, Yates and Heyman. Can’t wait to see what PotterCast says! * dances away *

Avatar Image says:

I think it’s funny that he mentions the resolution of Snape and Dumbledore when if you just knew the movies you wouldn’t think anything was going on! You wouldn’t even know that Snape was a Death Eater apart from that quick line from the Pensieve scene in GoF. It’s gonna feel so randomly thrown in when they FINALLY get around to the Snape material. And LILY, who’s she exactly??

Avatar Image says:

YAY!!!!! 5 HOURS of Harry Potter!!!! The only two things that i’m concerned about with the movie are: how they’re going to end the first half, and that we have to wait seven months to see the the second half after we watch the first part. Come on WB, couldn’t you PLEASE release the second half a little earlier???

Avatar Image says:

I agee with everyone who’s saying, “Who cares how much money WB makes?” Maybe, just maybe, someone involved in the making of the films finally decided that the fans deserve to have this series end the way it should: with all the major plotlines from the book being filmed(finally!). How can any true Potter fan be complaining about two films?

Avatar Image says:

Sorry guys, I’m still not buying into any of this; frankly, the more I hear about it, the less I like it. Each part will be two and a half hours? That says to me one of two things; either that a) they’re throwing the structure of the book out of the window and artificially ripping the narrative skeleton in half, or that b) they’re throwing the entire basics of cinema storytelling conventions out of the window, and vomiting out a formless five-hour screed. Neither sounds particularly appealing to me, given that I was hoping that we might close the series with a genuinely high-quality film, that actually, y’know, ADAPTS the material into an independently coherent cinematic equivalent of the book.

Moreover, this “real fan” talk is truly to tick me off. I’ve been reading Harry Potter for eight years, I bought Deathly Hallows on launch day, I love the books to pieces, blah, blah, blah…but, you know what? I’ve read the books already. Multiple times. They’re great as they are. Why would I want to see a film version that makes no changes, takes no effort in adapting it to a new medium, and is essentially just a contrived, unnatural imitation of the book? It’ll be little more than an expensive moving illustration at best, a pointless waste of time and money at worst. The real joys to me of seeing the adaptations of Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix (and hopefully Half-Blood Prince to come) was that they gave me the opportunity to experience those stories fresh again; here were the same stories I loved, but this time made as films, and therefore told through a different medium in a totally different style, allowing them to sit alongside the books as separate but equally worthwhile creative entities. I was truly looking forward to experiencing that same sense of rediscovery on Deathly Hallows, my favourite of the books; with this announcement, I feel that that chance has been snatched away. Why does that make me less of a fan?

I haven’t seen the films yet; of course, they could well come along and prove my fears totally unfounded, and there’ll be no-one happier about that than me. All I’m saying is that, on the basis of what we’ve heard, every instinct I have, every critical sense I’ve developed over a lifetime of watching and loving movies, is telling me that this is the wrong decision, made for the wrong reasons. Over to you, David Yates.

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am soooo excited! I prayed for two films, finally the FULL STORY!!!!!!!! I just can’t wait…JKR Pleeeeeese!!!!!!!! write more, I know you are fascinated by Albus, as am I…as are we…We, the ardent, hard core, obsessive (in a proper way!) ultimate fan plead that you will continue your triumph, that you will continue to wirte your obsession (for obviously it has been an obsession for you as for us!) and bring us more HP, in the lives of Harry’s children, or pre-story…we all know you have it !!! Don’t leave it for the film producers to make…this is YOUR story!!!

We love you Jo, please consider it!

Counting down to the HBP & DH film releases…. one, two, three….

Avatar Image says:

That’s nice, I really like David Heyman! I’m sure he’s made right choice by deciding to split the movie!! So much DH news in the past few days, love it!!

@ Muddtallica

I can see where you’re coming from, but you’re in the minority (which really isn’t that minor). It seems that you prefer a HP movie that captures the essence and main points of the book, but conveys it in a different and more original method. I’m guessing you want to see how the screenwriters can take the massive content from the book and transform it into an entertaining 2 – 2.5 hour film. I wouldn’t mind that either, I’m pretty neutral when it comes to the films, I just watch it and that’s that. But I think most of the book-reading fans prefer to see the actual words from the book translated onto the screen so they can watch the mental images they formed as they read come to life.

Let’s actually wait ‘till we see DH before we form any ill feelings towards the film. BTW, the whole “true fan” thing irks me as well.

Avatar Image says:

Ugh. It’s a wonder Ron gets any screentime at all, with Kloves and David Heyman worshipping movie!Hermione every opportunity they get.

Avatar Image says:

I really like David Heyman, I love the way he talks about DH, he really wants the fans to be happy. You can tell by the way he talks about it.

“I feel like I am back in the beginnings of the LOTR days !!!” Posted by hinkypunkmum on March 14, 2008 @ 08:28 PM

Darn it, hinkypunkmum, I wish I was there in the LotR days….now all I have are the sucky The Hobbit days….Thank God there’s DH to make up for it.

Avatar Image says:

just want to point out first that I am NOT the same ‘anne’ who posted at March 15, 4.39am.

Anyway Muddtallica, I can see what you’re saying. I like the last three films for the same reasons; I was watching POA yesterday and thinking all the way through how much I really liked what they did with it. I do have problems with one or two scenes in GOF and OotP, like GOF Quidditch DE attack and the Dementors in OotP, though, because they depart a bit too far from my image, but I wouldn’t want to see a return to the slavish quality of the first two films either. I think with David Yates though, we’re not going to get that. But DH is just so jam packed full of event, whereas the other books have lots of description or school stuff that can quite easily be removed and shown visually.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you soooooo muuuuuuch! I can’t believe we’ll have 2 films in a total of 5 hours…. I do hope they won’t cut Ginny. Neville and Luna’s part in the revolution because i’m really looking forward to that. They are my favorites! HEYMAN RULES!!!

Avatar Image says:

i think they should split the film right after nagini comes aout of Bathilda. it would be such a clif hanger.

Avatar Image says:

These past few days i have been in HP HEAVEN! I am soo excited that i feel all jumpy!! So i guess that part 1 will be released almost exactly a year from the release of HBP? Sounds good to me! The less time we have to wait the better!!

Avatar Image says:

It’s completely obvious (to me, anyway) that the absolute best place to split them is at Dobby’s burial. That way, you get your dramatic climax at the Malfoy Manor (a small-scale action scene,) then you get your emotional climax at Dobby’s death and burial by the sea. Fade out on Harry staring out at the water. Furthermore, there’s a good few weeks (book time) before anything else really happens.

Avatar Image says:

Wow! News after news after news, it’s madness! It’s fantastic! And we aren’t even CLOSE to seeing DH!! I agree with both posts above mine: David, I completely and utterly agree with every word you said, couldn’t have said it better myself. Lindsay, I’m glad you see that we don’t really have to wait THAT long.

Avatar Image says:

Aweome news! Thank you David Heyman for all you’re doing for HP! I agree for “looking forward” scenes+Ron/Hermione kiss ofcourse…

@Lindsay and anotherbloke- we dont have to wait 1 year after HBp for 1st DH-we have to wait almost 2 years!!!!! HBP-November 2008, 1st DH November 2010. LOL PEOPLE 2010-2008=2

BUT IT’S WORTH OF WAITING….

Avatar Image says:

These moviemakers are so full of something. I won’t say what, but you can bet if you held some of it under your nose, it wouldn’t smell like a rose. The only reason they’re splitting the final book into two films is that it’s their last chance to cash in on cinematic versions of the series. Cutting content is clearly not something that mattered to them before, judging by how much the previous adaptations have been butchered.

Yesss! So exciting!

Avatar Image says:

i’d have loved to see Cuaron’s little creative touches in DH (he’s one of the most inspired directors around nowadays) and i’m sure he’d have handled the action scenes with a bang (just check “children of men”, his latest movie). alas, there comes david yates again, and i’m not angry, he’s my second favourite. but, please, call mr. john williams back. i’ve been missing his wonderful music so much…

Avatar Image says:

All this two movies talk makes me feel all warm and happy! I am so glad they decided that for this the final movie, the last new Harry Potter experience (except the Scottish Book) that we fans will have, it needs to be the ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE! It’s going to have EVERYTHING!!!! Except a couple things, but with nearly 5 hours they wont be cutting much. OH MY GOODNESS THIS MEANS DOBBY IS IN! Oh dear I am going to bawl in this one. HBP too. Nothing makes me cry like Harry Potter… I digrese. The point is, this is going to be every fans dream. The way we all wanted every movie to be. We all know we would gladly have sat through a 12 hour Goblet of Fire to see S.P.E.W, and we all missed Ron’s Quidditch in OotP, and the ever conspicuous by his absence: Peeves. They are making it up in the best way they can, and they are going out with a bang. Ride on to Victory David Heyman! You have made my Year!

Avatar Image says:

Oh and they better have either Nicholas Hooper back or John Williams back. No one else should be allowed near.

Avatar Image says:

i FREAKIN LOVE David Heyman!!!!!! He’s gets (understands) Hp just like all the fans do….. And I just love the fact that he said he’s looking forward to the scene where hermoine is trapped in Malfoy Manor….. b/c it is such a heartwrenching seen when ron is screaming and crying for her….LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! glad to know he does to.

I cannot wait, seriously…. I’ve been praying for DH to be split into to 2 parts or for it be four and a half to five hours long…........And now it finally is! Can they possibly get the guy that composed the LOTR films to come for DH??????? Please…......a great film needs an epic score I wanna cry, this is the last book/movie it needs to be damn good!

Avatar Image says:

i mean David iz da most elegant guy i eva seen ♥

Avatar Image says:

why can’t they release them closer to each other????? My friends and i like to go to the midnight premiere and now it will be weird to go to one and then have to wait 6 months to see the rest of the movie! I know they couldn’t do the book justice w/ 1 film, but why couldn’t thhey film both and release them at the same time?????????????

Avatar Image says:

if they split it when ron came back and they had destroyed the locket, then its like a cliff hanger… the other horcruxes DUN DUN DUUUUUN :P

im soo glad that they are defo having 2 films. but they say sum stuff still might be missed out, isnt that the point of 2 films? any who

yay david yates!!!!!!

whoops. i mean heyman

Avatar Image says:

There are no words to describe just how excited I am about all of this.

I love you, David Heyman.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I wonder if by “some parts that won’t make it” they mean something like the Bill and Fleur storyline which could be awkward to introduce to the films at this point?

I have to say, it’ll be pretty weird without Shell Cottage. I hope that whatever they use to make up for that part won’t be too cheesy.

There are some other things that could seem out of place too, but I can’t think of them right now.

Avatar Image says:

While I’ll accept that lots of HP fans will be overjoyed a the news of this split I will maintain I am entitled to my view that this decision is about money and extending the franchise more than being ‘loyal to the fans’. As I clearly stated my issues are more that so much has been cut before that I do not believe extending the last book to two films is necessary because so much will have to be removed prior to the last book/films (they couldn’t possibly refer to cut elements from previous films, that would surely require the audience to have read the books and after having had to listen to people going on about how we should seperate the books and the films I feel this would be hypocritical). While I agree the last film needs to be sufficiently longer than the previous films (I personally believe all the films should have been longer but that was never going to happen as WB clearly saw their key audience as little kids and underestimated how many of the books fans were in the double digits) splitting the films just doesn’t sit right with me. I can’t see where they could split them and I don’t see a need to either. Regardless of how I feel about the previous films my view of the split is still valid (as are other people’s excitement at getting around 5 hours of DH). I don’t claim to speak for anyone but myself but am entitled to my view. Admittedly I have been disappointed with the other films and so some might say I should give up on them completely, however (foolishly or not) I still have some small faith that some parts may not be as bad as anticipated. I’m not a fluffy little optimist who is simply estatic just to have the books adapted onto film, I would like to see QUALITY as I feel befits JKs hard work with creating the story and characters. And as such I put some hope into watching some great actors, who I’ve admired long before they were cast in these movies, to try to make the films better than they would have been without them (such as Julie Walters, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall etc.). I don’t feel we should have to simply settle, which is what has disappointed me, we’ve had to settle for characters being cut and existing ones being altered drastically for no apparent reason other than to dumb down the story (seemingly). I resent JKs work being treated that way, I feel it deserved better adaptation. I love the books and I love (quite a few of) the actors, I watch the movies hoping for the best. Just because I feel a certain way about the previous films doesn’t mean I can’t be proved wrong in my worries about future ones. I don’t claim to be all-knowing and who knows maybe they will find a good place to cut the films and maybe the script will be so rich as to require making it two films. We don’t know yet and until we do people are allowed to either have concerns or simply be thrilled at the prosepct of two films. I don’t see anything wrong with that. I’m not closed-minded enough to write them off completely, just cos I haven’t cared a great deal for the others (apart from POA) doesn’t mean they can’t win me over with teh last films. I cannot say EVERYTHING about the films has riled me, most of the adult casting has been superb and there have been moments I have enjoyed of the films, but that does not mean I have to sing the praises of WB or Heyman or whatever director was working on that film.

Incidently who said I’d be paying to see the film? That was never confirmed. I don’t ‘grumble’ behind anyone at the cinema (I’m very respectful when I go, going to the cinema is a big thing for me as I don’t do it very often so when I do I keep quiet, I’m not some annoying, small child) but if I’m paying (or merely just spending my time) watching a film I expect to be entertained and not ripped off (of my time or money).

I sincerely hope the films improve and the last films are wonderful, I’m just not that optimistic and I’m entitled to feel the way I do just as those who feel the opposite are entitled to.

Avatar Image says:

Three hours of camping and five minutes of Snape. I think I’ll pass, thanks. Of all the HP books that needed to be edited to a fare-thee-well, DH beats out OoP.

Avatar Image says:

I know a lot of people loved the Order of the Phoenix film but I thought that it really, really, really suffered from having so much of what was in the book cut. I was so disappointed after the film, feeling that the audience had been utterly underestimated. The book (which is my favourite of all of them) is so rich with feeling and meaning, a total triumph, and to my mind the film just seemed disjointed and cobbled together. As a result, I am ecstatic to hear that the Deathly Hallows will be two films! I agree they should have been more sensitive to the depth of the books prior to DH but that doesn’t mean they should continue to hack up the books right until the bitter end! Better late than never I say, and I’m elated that one of the longer books is now getting the treatment that I think all of them deserved. It’s brilliant news and who cares really if some people are going to make some more money out of it? We get 8 films instead of 7 and proper respect shown to the book – hip hip hooray!!!!

Avatar Image says:

The split should be when they escape from Luna’s father. A very dramatic exit with explosions, bangs & screams, and spells firing east and west. ...and then black screen and the words:

“To be continued …”

A real cliff-hanger! :)

Avatar Image says:

I hope they give the character Ron the credit that is deserved. I also hope they really portray the torture that he endured with the locket and show him as the good guy that he has always been. The movies have seemed to gloss over that.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with ogdensnut. I thought I was the only one completely disappointed with ootp. It seemed shallow, choppy and hurried. The characters were all superficial. I don’t think there was any dialogue that lasted more that 3 sentences. And the music…....well, I expect to hear the Harry Potter theme in a Harry Potter movie and it really wasn’t there. Also BIG error-where were Dumbledore’s half-moon glasses? What about McGonagals tartan plaid? That was like forgetting to put the scar on Harry’s head. Also, when they first arrived at Hogwarts and got off the train, no one was in their robes. That was pointed out in the first movie. To me, these were glaring facts to miss or ignore. I hope they are a bit more careful in the next movies.

Avatar Image says:

This is very exciting indeed! I’ve been slightly disappointed in the other movies in that soo many things were left out in the push to be under a certain amount of time. Where did all the desire for quality go out the window in favor of time constraints? In the old days, you would have 3-4 hour movies with intermissions. Concession stands and movie-goers alike profitted from the experience. I am glad that Heyman is stepping outside the movie-norm in order to provide us with quality entertainment. The previous movies are all good, but think how much better they could have been by adding another half an hour or so to each one? Heyman FTW!!

Avatar Image says: WOOOOOOOOOOO. HOPE THEY MAKE A 2 DISC SE OF THE 2 PARTS WHEN THEY BOTH COME OUT.

Write a Reply or Comment