Report: Rupert Grint Filming Quidditch Scenes for “Half-Blood Prince” (Updated)

112

Mar 18, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

In what is perhaps a bit o’ blarney this St. Patrick’s day, UK tabloid the Sun has a story tonight involving Rupert Grint, and filming for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. In a new interview that was apparently conducted over the weekend at the Play.com Live gaming event in London, the paper says that Rupert has been filming his Quidditich scenes for the upcoming sixth Harry Potter movie, where Ron is the Keeper on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. The paper quotes Rupert as saying filming for these scenes are such that “You sit on a broomstick for hours and it starts to hurt. It gives you a numb bum.”

Indeed!

The paper then continues to say Rupert confirmed the earlier report of streakers interrupting filming for “Half-Blood Prince,” noting: “We had two streakers down there. We’ll be finished filming in a few months. Then we’ll be making the final ever one. I think I’ll miss it.I’d like to do a comedy movie next but we’ll have to see what comes up.”

On a related note, London Taxi Tours has some new photos online which appear to be of some construction and new scaffolding at Leavesden. We do not know if what this may be for, and we will update with more on this when we can.

UPDATE : The Sun has a new article online about the Play.com event that shows Rupert at this event. In the new article he talks about his love of video games noting”We play loads of games on the set of Harry Potter when we’re not filming. We have a Wii. This show is great, very cool. I’ve been playing Call of Duty with about 10 people. But I was crap, I only killed about two people. My favourites are driving games like Need For Speed, doing all the cars up.”

54 Responses to Report: Rupert Grint Filming Quidditch Scenes for “Half-Blood Prince” (Updated)

stupid tabloids

Avatar Image says:

silly tabloids. truly hoping complete, one hundred percent false. I really want a firebolt!

Avatar Image says:

Um, Sue, why post this? The source is the Sun. They’ve been having a go at Dan in particular, and Emma to a lesser extent – please don’t give them any credit or time.

Avatar Image says:

Come on…... When are we going to get some news thats TRUE? We wait for ever for news and then the only paper in london it seems posts things like this.I agree with bebe why post it if the source is the sun? It maybe “news” but come on its bin liner.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope Bonnie will be it the scenes to….they haven’t mentioned her but i have seen a photo of her riding a broom…... but probably it’s only photoshop!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Poor Rupert. The story is probably not true but Quidditch still hurts.

Avatar Image says:

FraA i was wondering were you saw the picture of bonnie riding her brromstick because i want to see it even if it is photo shop lol

Avatar Image says:

Well I for one enjoy reading all articles about Harry Potter, even the laughably false ones. And i’d say this is deifnitely a load of crap. Rupert never speaks in complete sentences, poor boy.

Avatar Image says:

the sun is like the muggle = to rita skeeter. i mean, i know that sounds geeky, but really, it’s better used as kindling.

holy leperchauns!!

Avatar Image says:

Is it not obvious? (refers to the London Taxi Tour pics)

That is the backside of the fake buildings across from the Grimmauld Place set where they are now building the mock orphanage…

Avatar Image says:

@ Erika – There was a photo that just surfaced of Bonnie riding on a broom but it was from OOTP promotional material.

Avatar Image says:

i’m SOOOOOOOOOO GLAD that leaky puts out at least something new EVERY DAY! sometimes it’s more than one article a day!! it’s exciting for me to come here and see the news!!

Avatar Image says:

@ Amy S: LOL, you’re so right about Rupert, bless him. I mean, I really like Rupert, and I think he does a good job playing Ron. But before the Powers That Be allow him anywhere near a reporter ever again, they should give that poor boy some intensive training sessions on how to conduct himself in an interview. He rarely gives a direct answer to a question; most of his responses (regardless of the question) are some variation of the phrase “Uh… yeah… it was quite cool to film that scene…” Groan. He seems like a nice guy, but GOD he gives some cringe-worthy interviews.

As far as the article itself, it’s obviously rubbish, but I can cut Leaky a lot of slack for posting it. It’s a slow news day, and if they hadn’t posted anything at all, we’d just be complaining about how there were no updates. At least the article is mildly entertaining.

Avatar Image says:

Hey Erika, here is the link: http://www.bonniewrightonline.com/galleries/displayimage.php?album=77&pos=6

Avatar Image says:

@amy S.: You might like to peruse a new tabloid, I just found! It’s from Australia, and it’s all about how Daniel “smokes like a trooper” [“20 cigerettes a day!”] It’s nice to know that everyone has their own little “Bit o’ Blarney” mag! [or should that be “rag”?] LOL It’s called ‘West Australian’...too funny. Rupert and his “numb bum” and Dan as a “chain smoking mad man” [hanging out, late at night, with Kevin Spacey] The “hits” just keep on commin’! Yay, Quidditch!

Avatar Image says:

If the story is true it will be awesome to see Rupert on a broom! I can’t wait to see the movie!

Avatar Image says:

Just checked out the picture of Bonnie riding a broom, and I can’t believe it’s from official promotional material for OotP. It looks more like a bad fan manip. WB, I am not impressed.

Sheesh, I’m really negative with my comments tonight… sorry folks, I’ll try to lighten up.

Avatar Image says:

ohh got another truly beleivable news flash from the sun too

‘DANIEL bravely performed a daring stunt scene when his double failed to turn up. He was yanked from a burning building by a wire attached to a 100ft crane. ‘

cause he is yanked from a burning building during half blood prince…

Avatar Image says:

its hard to tell whats true and whats garbage with The Sun. i get regular HP related news updates and nearly all the news from The Sun are ridiculous: a few weeks ago its Dan and his SAS bodyguards, then it became the bodyguards and his dogs, then it became that stunt thing from a burning building (this one is the hardest to figure out if its true or not) and the latest is chain-smoking Dan. wth?!?

Avatar Image says:

Oh ya, hahaha, but still, even if it’s most probably false,it still feel nice to come here and read Potternews!

Avatar Image says:

Well, IF the article IS true, then it would be the most Rupert has ever said to the press. Ever.

Avatar Image says:

Why is the idea of Rupert filming quidditch so unbelievable? They haven’t quidditch or anything have they?

Avatar Image says:

I think Rupert gives good interviews when he wants. I’m not sure why people here are trying to focus on a few of his interviews. At least he’s never inadvertently spilled any Potter secrets because he’s good like that.

Avatar Image says:

@ Chris: If you can point me to some of these good Rupert interviews you’re speaking of, I’d be happy to watch them and, if I’m proven wrong, amend my opinion of Rupert’s interviewability (no that’s not a real word, but I’m goin’ with it anyway!).

However, all (and I do mean ALL) of the interviews I’ve personally seen Rupert give have been very bad. He either gives long, rambling answers that are all over the map and that usually don’t even answer the original question… or he gives short, vague answers that usually don’t even answer the question. He says “Yeah, it was quite cool to film that scene,” (or some variation of that sentence) far too often, and without even naming any specifics so that we know WHY it was cool to “film that scene.” He mumbles. He slouches. He’s… not good.

I know it seems I’m bering very mean about Rupert, but I really do like him. I think he makes a great Ron, and has begun to show promise as an actor. And as a person, he seems like he would be very comfortable and easy to be around; the sort of bloke you’d like to just kick back, have a beer, and watch a game with.

But as an interviewee… he needs a lot of improvement.

Avatar Image says:

@becmajec, but they’re filming Deathly Hallows at the moment, didn’t you know that? The Sun have numerous reports about their last filming after all? Honestly, don’t you read anything…? ;)

Avatar Image says:

probably false but its is somewhat plausable as Quiditch is a sinificant factor in the book 1, harry is made Quidditch captain for Griffendor , and also harry and ginny’s first kissis after Griffendor wins the house cup in HBP, if the source was a paper of better reputation id get my hopes up for Quidditch but alas i willnot

Avatar Image says:

The idea of filming Quidditch is not unbelievable. Ascatle, you’re right, Quidditch is important in this book, at least one match is, after which Harry and Ginny finally kiss. If they cut that scene, I am going to be MAD! It’s the few good things Harry gets that year, they’d better not skip it!!

But yeah, The Sun is on about how filming for “the final Potter film” is on, so I guess doubting anything they say is pretty obvious. They’ve even said in some article that the actors are getting uncomfortable filming the last movie because of some strange happening on the sets and they think the movie is jinxed, when..ummmm…even the SCRIPT for the last movie isn’t ready yet!!

Avatar Image says:

Actually I’ve heard Dan Radcliff say before that the broom-scenes are always very uncomfortable. I could amagine, sitting on a broom for hours with nothing but a green screen and wind-machine-thingy.

Avatar Image says:

in reaction to Prenz: Now that would make me uncomfortable too, filming the last one without a script, hahaha, sounds like a bad dream.

Avatar Image says:

Regardless of whether or not the article is true (and after the latest stuff The Sun has been publishing, I really don’t know which way to lean), it’s gotta be ROUGH to be sitting on a broom in front of a green screen for hours! Maybe not so much for Daniel because his Firebolt seems a bit more comfortable, but Rupert’s and Bonnie’s… OUCH! Numb bum sounds about right lol

By the way, that OotP “promo” of Ginny on a broom was just a very, very badly cropped bigger version of this: http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2057/orderofphoenixsingler1avt6.jpg

Avatar Image says:

wasn’t the Sun the daily which said tht dan smokes 20 pax a day of cigarattes?omg…wht lies…and they’ve been having a go and dan and emma like mad.. lucky rupe’s got it less-they mentioned him and quidditch.even sillier is the article of dan-burning roof..?since when this happens in d book?or is it abt the burrow??

Avatar Image says:

Why do we even comment? I know that any potter related subject is bound to sell a few more copies but this is really getting out of hand! What is it with the “Sun” and the potter kids? Can’t they post something nice for a change? Well, i supose it wouldn’t sell…. WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH!!!

Avatar Image says:

I guess this could not be true but what The Sun has been saying gets me worried all that stuff about Dan smoking and every thing… I hope it’s not true and I keep telling my self that but what if it is? we don’t have prof about this being lies ,sure you can’ttrust the sun for lots of stuff(telling us that filming DH has started some rubbish)but was’nt that what people said when the daily mail reported that DH is going to be 2 parts but it turend real …. I sure hope these aren’t true

Avatar Image says:

Every once and a while my roomate buy the sun, just for a laugh, some of the crap they come out with is just hilarious. I want to get a job there, how easy would it be sittin at your desk thinkin….. “Hmmm…. Gordan Brown is actually a woman… I could write that!”

Avatar Image says:

Leave the lad alone. So what if he doesn’t give good interviews. Just as long he does the business on the big screen, his interviews are meaningless. Rupert has shown he has great potential to be a great actor. So who cares if he is shy in interviews. And to defend him a little, how is he going to get a word anyway, when he has Dan and Emma rabbiting on and on right next to him :P

Avatar Image says:

You see???Nobody trust The Sun anymore! They published so many fake stories. But who knows? We know that we’re going to see Quidditch in HBP. Finally!!! so many years without our favorite game. Can’t wait to see Harry,Ron and Ginny playing. I think its going to be – hilarious.

Avatar Image says:

The Sun is a load of crap don’t believe anything they print. But it is true however that Ron plays Quidditch in HBP. Its in the behind the scenes sneak peak on the OOTP DVD. you can search for it on youtube too. They talk about the Quiditch costumes and how Ron playing quidditch is going to be slapstick comedy.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not home, but Rupert is able to give interesting interviews. I enjoyed the one he did for Moviefone with Jeremy Brock. He was rather candid about why he liked acting, saying something to the tune of him not really being an upfront person and being able to play someone different. Also, at the end of the clip, he corsped and started to laugh. Also, I thought the Moviefone with the trio was adorable. He didn’t mind talking to Dan and Emma. The linking thing with those interviews that they were conversational and with folks that he new and felt comfortable with.

Also, during the DL press junket, he went on interviews and did very well. We also got to see him do stuff like bowling, go carting, playing video games, driving in America. So, another thing to an interesting interview from Rupert is engaging him in activities. Hey, drawing, jay walking anyone?

I was at the Craig Ferguson taping when Rupert was on, and he seemed to be having a good time because Craig was joking about his Ice Cream truck.

I was also at DL chat after the premiere in NY and Rupert seemed rather shy, but he engaged with us, taking pictures, talking on people’s cell phones and whatnot.

In California, he (honestly not trying to sound biased) stuck around the longest signing and taking pictures with the fans (even coming back after the premiere to do so.) So, he’s definitely not afraid of his fans.

So, it just seems to come down to interviewing regarding HP. shrugs

So, I don’t it’s impossible for Rupert to give a good interview, but I definitely think there is a strategy, and I’m going to figure it out one of these days…. :)

Avatar Image says:

I’m surprised anyone does trust The Sun. A lot of guys only read it because it has topless girls on page 3 ( a girl who used to go to school with me being one of them), disgusting really.

Responding to an earlier post, no they have not cut Quidditch, if you go here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXypjllE3BU&feature=related, you will find the new Quidditch outfits (for Ron, Harry and seemingly Draco)

Avatar Image says:

I don’t want to be hasty, though I scarcely think that any tabloid stories should be considered hard hitting news. The sincher for me was the claim that Rupert confirmed thier earlier story about the streaker… not likely!!!

Also that pic of Bonnie on a broom (thanks to FraA for the link) is kind of odd to me because she never owned her own broom according to the Lexicon and in the shot she is clearly on a Firebolt! Oh did that just make me a potterfreak that I could remember that shrugs oh well. Blessings to all today!

Avatar Image says:

Whats with the UK Sun bashing? I personally believe it is the most credible newspaper. Everything makes sense. If wasn’t for the Sun I would never have known that Prince Charles was a cross dresser and that WB was considering Mickey Rooney as Harry Potter until Jo asked for an all British cast. And I certainly never thought that the size of Samantha Fox’s..um..yeah, well anyway, as our Rupert Grint would say , yeah, its really cool, yeah.

Avatar Image says:

And if you just read the Sun upside down, you will be surprised how the truth oozes out.

Avatar Image says:

How come we haven’t heard any news about Emma Watson on set?

Avatar Image says:

i agree w/ starfish, I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT EMMA. Also is Bonnie shooting quidditch? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE post some news about the girls on set.

Avatar Image says:

whether the news is about emma dan or rupert, hopefully it wont come from the sun.

Ashley and Amy

Rupert gave an interview years ago after one of the early movies that says it all. When asked if he auditioned for the role of the more heroic Harry Potter (and if he was secretly disappointed to play the sidekick Ron) he answered that way before there was any idea of a movie, when he first read the books he recognized himself as Ron. He said he had to play Ron because he WAS Ron. I thought at the time that it was an amazing level of self-awareness for a kid his age. That interview is somewhere in the bowels of the Leaky Cauldron video archive after one of the first 3 movies.

The early movies (with the prepubertal trio) skated by on cuteness – now they’re having to learn to act. But if you watch cast interviews, it does appear that both Ron and Evanna Lynch are not acting in the movies – they appear to be playing themselves.

I think Rupert has great comic timing, a wonderful range of facial expressions, and could very well be the next Jim Carrey. I hope they make better use of his comedic talents in HBP.

Avatar Image says:

i don’t know… he does say strange things in interviews. he’s not the most well-spoken kid around…

Avatar Image says:

Another Bizzare report from the tabloids. I suppose it is Ruperts turn after all Bizzare have already made false stories about Dan and Emma. I wonder whose turn it will be next.

Avatar Image says:

“It’s not unbelievable wondering. It’s unbelievable that the Sun would scoop the story”

they’re not ‘scooping the story’ they’re just reporting on what Rupert said to them at a music event he attended. Not every article is fake, you know.

Avatar Image says:

Wouldn’t it be cool if “The Sun” ran an article on sightings of the Crumple-Horned Snorckack?! That would be one I’d frame and hang on my wall.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sure Rupert will be sore but it wont be his butt, according to Dan ;D

I saw that Bonnie/Ginny Broom photoshop ….I laughed.

Avatar Image says:

I just don’t even know if it is real, but I’m really glad tyo know that the shooting keep running well..

Write a Reply or Comment